• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB The Drenched Forests of Canada

nib95

Banned
Like someone said, if you take away the HUD and show this to someone, they would never think it was a game.

qmzfuo_by_gavinuk86-d7ptw1j.gif

My dad thought it was real lol. He thought I was having him on when I told him it was a game. And yea, the way you've edited the HUD out, absolutely looks nigh on photo realistic.

Amir0x

Banned
Wow. I'm not really into simulators, but this game is catching my attention more and more. Most likely will get the Plus version.

Congrats, it's not a simulator :D

I need a 1080p uncompressed video Evolution. PLEASE get it to Gamersyde. I need it. I cannot fathom a game looking this good, I need to see the perfect clarity so I can pick out its videogamey flaws!

dolabla

lmao. fuck, I forgot that it was delayed as well. Well, Watch Dogs is bad example then. Game is such a train wreck, moreso on PC. Yeah, if it launched when it was supposed too it would of been a Battlefield 4 situation where it was in constant flux.

I get your point though :). And I agree. I think a lot of games would benefit from it, but unfortunately things get rushed to meet a deadline for the publisher.

What was Miyamoto's quote on delayed games:

"A delayed game is eventually good; a bad game is bad forever."

I think that mostly is true (obviously there are exceptions like Watch Dogs). It has definitely paid off for DriveClub.

I showed this to my mom and when I told her a game she literally thought I was lying. Her exact words: "There is no way that is a game, I don't believe you. If that's a game what is it called then." Then I showed her the Eurogamer video on youtube and her mouth dropped LOL.

Why would you drop your mom's mouth. Not cool!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Just tested on the girlfriend:

"yeah, this is Need For Speed, right?"

Test fail :p
This is how you should have replied:

"UH DUHHHHHHHH Why are you so stupid? Most of everyone from Criterion joined Ghost and their last game was made while lots of shifting around of staff occurred, they would never make a game this pretty. Get on my level."

IcyEyes

I am part of "Old Gaf" at 47 and Gran Prix on the 2600 blew me away as well Enduro for the 2600. Turbo on the ColecoVision with the Drving Module was the shit back then.

Between this and Forza Horizon 2, I am going to be in racing heaven! Both games are different enough to enjoy both of them and they both look fantastic.

Do not forget this game : The Crew!

We played (at the E3) Drive Club, Forza H2 and The Crew one after the other and we absolutely enjoyed all of them.

viveks86

If you play with it a bit, you can get it looking like real dash-cam footage.

fRSWMBu.gif

Dat filmic effect!

is this game called #DRIVECLUB still or just DRIVECLUB? i need to know this to sleep soundly tonight

The game was always DRIVECLUB. #DRIVECLUB is just a marketing idea that someone at Sony/Evo came up with. From the looks of it, it was a bad idea. But the official name was always DRIVECLUB.

Jacobi

Banned
My dad thought it was real lol. He thought I was having him on when I told him it was a game. And yea, the way you've edited the HUD out, absolutely looks nigh on photo realistic.

This is a heavily compressed, small gif though. (Still amazing as fuck, I need this!!!)

just noticed they still haven't got rid of that obnoxious screen tearing tucked away on the top of the image. hope it gets cleaned out by released.

VMAN01

As far as I know there is a dash cam kind of camera angle in the game. So if you are playing without the hud it would look very much like real life I assume.

This game, for the unaware, is a blend of sim and arcade. It's shaping up to be a near spiritual successor to the awesome PGR games.

Congrats, it's not a simulator :D

I need a 1080p uncompressed video Evolution. PLEASE get it to Gamersyde. I need it. I cannot fathom a game looking this good, I need to see the perfect clarity so I can pick out its videogamey flaws!

It's not a simulator? O.O I thought it was. So a mix of sim and arcade? Interesting. Either way I'm still might get it

Oxn

You people should buy the game and support them. Im sure most people will just play the PS+ version though.

nib95

Banned
Please someone reply :-( I want to learn about lighting!
I'm only theorising and have no real idea, but it could be because there's so much less dynamic range in overcast situations, and far less tones, colours etc to replicate.

In sunny conditions, there's much more stark differences in contrast and lighting range. Super bright spots, dark spots and shadows, more obtuse shadow variables, greater saturation and everything in between. Much harder to replicate unless you have competent lighting tech.

is this game called #DRIVECLUB still or just DRIVECLUB? i need to know this to sleep soundly tonight

The game is officially called dRivecLub, much like how Apple calls their flagship devices iPhone, iPad and iMac.

Not sure it works quite as well here, though. Rushy, that is another thing to fix perhaps, after those power lines ofc.

They are not leaving a single thing out eh? Looks amazing.

At this point the game is a climate and environment simulator that you just happen to be driving a car through.

Cygnus

Banned
I'm only theorising and have no real idea, but it could be because there's so much less dynamic range in overcast situations, and far less tones, colours etc to replicate.

In sunny conditions, there's much more stark differences in contrast and lighting range. Super bright spots, dark spots and shadows, more obtuse shadow variables and everything in between. Much harder to replicate unless you have competent lighting tech.

Thanks.

nib95

Banned
The sad thing is, I feel DriveClub, Forza The Crew and PCars are going to under perform somewhat in sales. They're coming out in such a crowded period that they'll likely lose a lot of impulse buys they might have otherwise scooped up. That and cannibalising each others sales.

Unmoses

Please someone reply :-( I want to learn about lighting!

Pretty much what nib stated makes sense in vgs.. generally speaking in terms of a camera sensor you have gain control problems in bright light scenarios that force dark areas of a scene to lose information because the sensor sees too much light coming into the ccd array.

In sunny conditions, there's much more stark differences in contrast and lighting range. Super bright spots, dark spots and shadows, more obtuse shadow variables, greater saturation and everything in between. Much harder to replicate unless you have competent lighting tech.

Yeah especially colours. I find simply turning a CG image to black and white tends to make it look more realistic, to me at least.

The sad thing is, I feel DriveClub, Forza The Crew and PCars are going to under perform somewhat in sales. They're coming out in such a crowded period that they'll likely lose a lot of impulse buys they might have otherwise scooped up. That and cannibalising each others sales.

Hmmm.

Maybe in the US. Luckily Europeans are driving game nuts, so that will help a lot.

Certainly for DC, with PS4's big install base in Europe. Also, I think the world has been waiting for the next BIG racer to come for a while now, perhaps since before even GT6, which was more of the same.

This looking truly next gen, and being developed by a dream-team of racing game devs ticks all the right boxes. I also think this could sell well after Christmas too. If you want a racer then you are prob gonna buy this exclusive one if you have a PS4.

viveks86

Still no 1080p high bitrate version of these videos yet

3793024-9159312800-37743.gif

Don't expect it for a couple of weeks at least. I won't be surprised if it doesn't come out till Gamescom. If this were a teaser to be followed up with more media, they wouldn't have clubbed it with an interview and blog post. This is probably all we will get for now.

That's not even all of the racers coming this year. There's also F1 2014. That should be unveiled any time now. I'd expect that to put up solid sales. Especially in the UK since Lewis is doing really well this year.

thuway

Serious question- is it out of the realm possibility to remove the jaggies from the power lines? I don't know if the AA solution in the game is final, but the power lines are the legitimately the only thing holding back the IQ. Everything else is literally heads and shoulder above any and everything else.

Top Bottom