• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw, man, that one's going MOBA too? I really like OMD but I had no idea.

RIP in peace PC franchises. All hail the all-MOBA future.

Wut, no.

At least I haven't heard of anything.

Besides, I think they know an Orcs Must Die moba has very little pull. I can't believe Dead Island even tried.

Chariot

Isn't Kairosoft the one who made Game Dev Story? That was always pretty fun
Yes, they are. Their other games are pretty fun, too. I have bought around half of them.

Yea, they really do. Ninja Village was fun the first few times around but will lack replayability for the reason you stated. Luckily, got most of their library with the free Amazon coins from a few months back. I'm enjoying Grand Prix Story at the moment, fun stuff.
Oh I never played that, since I am not much into racing. Is it like a sim where you have to train a single driver?

"Orcs Must Die! Unchained is a fast-paced competitive Fortress Siege game, where teams battle head-to-head to both attack and defend fortresses."
:(

Oh my gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh that's stupid.

Vazduh

Whoa, olliolli is much more fun than I expected it to be. Gameplay is really addictive, and dubstep-two-step-electronic-whatever soundtrack is pretty solid also. Shame the control layout isn't same as one used in THPS, but it would be too easy then :D

Hugstable

Banned
Yes, they are. Their other games are pretty fun, too. I have bought around half of them.

Oh I never played that, since I am not much into racing. Is it like a sim where you have to train a single driver?

Yeah! I have the Grand Prix Story also. I think I might have played Mega Mall at one point also. I never thought I would actually enjoy a game where I'm just managing stuff, but Kairosoft really pulled it off. I got addicted to Game Dev Story for a few days about a year ago :D

Yesterday I went deep into DS2's DLC.

I advanced and fought many new and tough enemies. I really liked the verticality of the area, full of dangerous jumps and "how the hell do I get that treasure?" sections.
I entered the temple and fought really tough phantoms until I figured out how to kill them more easily.

I kept advancing facing new terrors and dangerous spikes, and then I stupidly roll into a chasm, die like a bitch and respawn at the 1st bonfire.
I'm pretty mad with myself :mad:

ShogunX

Jørdan;122302651 said:
Buy TF2 keys and use those to trade for games. You'll get a much better return.

Started doing this a few months back and you certainly get a lot more for your money. Been buying gift copies from a Russian Trader for some really nice savings. Only problem now is that I have like 50+ gifts in my inventory and have grown attached to them....

I'm not too big on racing either, but this is still pretty fun. Typical gameplay includes: Train driver, hire pit crew, build car, research parts, install parts, and (watching the) race.
Building / researching / installing parts improves the driver and pit crew so that when they build the same car again, the new car's stats are usually better then previous ones. After winning the circuit/grad prix, you go on to the next tier of competition and you get new facilities (bigger pit crew, bigger garage, multiple drivers.) There are lots of car types and parts, and track types (road, dirt, icy, etc.) so there is a lot of variety.
Played 20+ hours so far and not bored yet, but it can be a little repetitive if you are grinding builds to improve new hires. Overall, familiar Kairosoft gameplay, but with a racing theme.

Jørdan

Started doing this a few months back and you certainly get a lot more for your money. Been buying gift copies from a Russian Trader for some really nice savings. Only problem now is that I have like 50+ gifts in my inventory and have grown attached to them....

I don't recall the last time I used the store (UK), there isn't anything I haven't been able to find from a trader for less - many times considerably less.

Knurek

teslagrad6pj0i.png

First of all, muchos gracias to Shadownet for gifting the game (completely out of the blue). I would've gotten to it eventually (either 75% off or a bundle), but with such a generosity, I didn't have any choice but to play it posthaste.

And... it's a good game, all right. Infuriating at times, but overall very pleasant puzzle platformer. Well worth the time spent, I'd say, especially if any of the gripes below doesn't sound bad to you..

What I liked:

- Lovely art design, backgrounds, animation and music. Production values are overall very high, only a step below UbiArt games, I'd say. Very reminiscent of Braid, I'd say.
- Good puzzles, solvable without resorting to outside help in most of the cases. Definitely nothing as obtuse as Gateways final puzzles.
- Interesting player abilities. Can't really say that having magnets and Dishonored Blink was innovative, but the way they were used and interacted with each other very much worked in the game.
- Controls were very good, even if the jumping was a tad too floaty for me. Would be a much bigger problem if the game had a bigger focus on platforming, but given that it was 80% puzzles, I can't really complain.
- Metroidvania-lite concept with no forced backtracking - only some of the secret scrolls required revisiting areas, everything else could be done by the first visit.

What I didn't care for:

- Boss fights, or rather lack of checkpoints during boss fights. Main character doesn't have any sort of health meter/shield, so the second you touch any of the hazards, you're brought back to the beginning of the fight. Which gets a tad annoying if said fight has several stages with new, random hazards added in the later ones.
- Few instances of physics not working consistently - I had worked out a few puzzle solutions, given up on them as non-working after a few tries, only to check online and find that I had the good idea, but one that requires blind luck to work out. This is only true for a few scrolls, nevertheless should not happen.
- Lack of proper map - the game marks your location, sure, but doesn't allow for map scrolling and doesn't mark the collectibles you discovered but haven't solved yet. Which makes the whole map pretty useless.
- The achievement system used by the game (1 for each of 36 hidden collectibles) could do with a revamp - you can 100% the game well before finishing actual playthrough. Would be lovely if the devs added at least a 'Finished the Game" achievement.
- Weird performance issues - I don't have the fastest computer, true, but still, would not expect the game dropping down to 30 fps in few areas. Really noticeable when most of the game is silky smooth. I've also had the game crap out on me three or so times - game logic was still running, but the game stopped updating screen. Had to enter menu and quit the game using only sound effects as a guide.

hitoshi

He's a lumberjack, and he's okay,
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hitoshi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Oozi -- MB-57BB8C1E07AE8116 - Taken by bobnowhere
Jack Lumber -- MB-78F4502B15D1586D - Taken by Ben652

In Savant Ascent, you don't have analog control of the player character. You can only roll left/right or jump left/right between two spots on the elevator, FYI

Chariot

I'm not too big on racing either, but this is still pretty fun. Typical gameplay includes: Train driver, hire pit crew, build car, research parts, install parts, and (watching the) race.
Building / researching / installing parts improves the driver and pit crew so that when they build the same car again, the new car's stats are usually better then previous ones. After winning the circuit/grad prix, you go on to the next tier of competition and you get new facilities (bigger pit crew, bigger garage, multiple drivers.) There are lots of car types and parts, and track types (road, dirt, icy, etc.) so there is a lot of variety.
Played 20+ hours so far and not bored yet, but it can be a little repetitive if you are grinding builds to improve new hires. Typical Kairosoft gameplay, but with a racing theme.
Sounds good, I should get it some time. Thanks for the impressions.

Knurek

Is this a thing? Writing impressions for games we complete? Because I just 100% Metro 2033 yesterday and felt like writing something up to convince others to play it if it's in their backlog.

Not as frequent around this parts as WaifuSpam, but sure, lots of folk post these.

Rudakus

Is this a thing? Writing impressions for games we complete? Because I just 100% Metro 2033 yesterday and felt like writing something up to convince others to play it if it's in their backlog.

I think that's part of the reason of this thread. I love reading other users impressions on games. It really helps with deciding what to play.

Crayons

Banned
I just got invited to 64 different Steam groups by someone I don't know, with the group titles insulting me in various ways.

What's wrong with people?

Knurek

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Knurek, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Canyon Capers -- MB-E9514CF78864B654

t1406142936z1.png

Spare key.

HoosTrax

Out of all the things that get posted in this thread, game impressions (ideally games that are actually on Steam and not just random console/handheld exclusives obviously) are some of the most useful ones to me personally.

The ones that get posted here are typically much better written and thoughtful than the dross that typically gets posted as Steam user reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom