• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

space dandy is actually a good and interesting show though

I'd say it's a show with good and interesting episodes, and some other episodes that aren't as good or interesting. It's a natural consequence of the way it's created, and so was P&S; the undoing of the latter was trying to be all continuous near the ending and stumbling around, which hopefully won't become Dandy's problem.

To be fair, though, Space Dandy hasn't had a real bad episode for a while now, while P&S was wildly inconsistent and fluctuated even on single broadcasts.

Jarmel

Banned

Ah ok so he does mention some sort of project. I wonder if it could be something like Thomas working on Ninja Slayer. Seems way too early for a new project from Imaishi so I can see one party working on the other's show(I know Imaishi isn't directing Ninja Slayer but he could be helping to recruit animators).

Eureka Seven - 44

WHOA. Just...damn. Well, at least this answers the question I had about Anemone. But seriously though that's messed up. Sure sucks to be Dominic, having to witness that crap and report it as a "failure". Well now I know
who Dominic's gonna be siding with now.

Things aren't looking so good with Eureka and Renton. I'm really starting to wonder where all of this is going with the whole
"they're stuck on planet Earth" business.
I mean, right now it's obvious that
Eureka's hiding the fact that her arm's getting messed up because she's afraid Renton will hate her for it so I hope they resolve that nice and quickly.

Mokoi

Banned
Hello, new anime thread. In case anyone was wondering, the Silent Möbius cell came from episode number five. It should be up for sale on the Heritage auction site.

Did anybody ever guess what that background picture was from? I'm interesting in knowing what anime used it.

Barakamon Episode 4

This was a really heart-warming and enjoyable episode. All the characters just feel so natural and realistic. The children also made this episode really great and welcoming with their jokes and antics. It was also nice seeing a hard-boiled father getting fired up. This show is really good in the way it presents it's message.

Yeah Barakamon is really Anime of the season so far in my opinion. Terror in Resonance may be a great contender, but sorry this anime just makes me enjoy the characters, setting, and it makes me feel relaxed.

In the end though Summer season is definitely shaping up to be better than Spring.

Mature

Ah ok so he does mention some sort of project. I wonder if it could be something like Thomas working on Ninja Slayer. Seems way too early for a new project from Imaishi so I can see one party working on the other's show(I know Imaishi isn't directing Ninja Slayer but he could be helping to recruit animators).
It's really easy to see staff of Black Dynamite contributing in some way to a project like Ninja Slayer since they're pretty similar in concept; they're both pulpy parody of an older genre.

so uh hey. i'm new here. i post in the Toonami thread a lot, and i started following some shows this season because why not so i figured it'd be good to post here too instead of hopping between show threads. i'm watching:

Space Dandy season 2
Akame ga Kill (i will probably drop this if it doesn't live up to the hilarious first episode after character introductions are done; maybe before that)
Aldnoah Zero
Terror in Resonance
Tokyo Ghoul
Sailor Moon Crystal (thinking of dropping this out of boredom and hating Usagi)
Sword Art Online II (probably gonna drop this, i just wanted to confirm it was still a trainwreck and see how awful Kirito being a girl would be)

anything else i should pick up because it's good/so terrible it's funny?

Mature

so uh hey. i'm new here. i post in the Toonami thread a lot, and i started following some shows this season because why not so i figured it'd be good to post here too instead of hopping between show threads. i'm watching:

Space Dandy season 2
Akame ga Kill (i will probably drop this if it doesn't live up to the hilarious first episode after character introductions are done; maybe before that)
Aldnoah Zero
Terror in Resonance
Tokyo Ghoul
Sword Art Online II (probably gonna drop this, i just wanted to confirm it was still a trainwreck and see how awful Kirito being a girl would be)

Check out Barakamon.

Space Dandy season 2
Aldnoah Zero
Terror in Resonance
Tokyo Ghoul

If you're able to enjoy slice of life anime or comedies, then give a watch to Barakamon and Monthly Girl's Nozaki-kun. The latter's first episode isn't a good indicator of how the rest will be though, so don't be discouraged if you're not into romance and it seems too lovey dovey.

Space Dandy season 2
Aldnoah Zero
Terror in Resonance
Tokyo Ghoul

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is always good. Need to watch the first season though. Would be right at home on Toonami.

If you're caught up on Akame, I'd give it 2 more episodes before dropping it based on the introduction of a certain character. If you've only watched 1 or 2 episodes and aren't feeling it, go ahead and drop it.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is always good. Need to watch the first season though. Would be right at home on Toonami.

If you're caught up on Akame, I'd give it 2 more episodes before dropping it based on the introduction of a certain character. If you've only watched 1 or 2 episodes and aren't feeling it, go ahead and drop it.

oh, i watch Jojo. forgot to mention that one.

i've watched up to episode 3 on Akame. i felt like the contrast of a typical shonen and some depraved nonsense would at least be good for a laugh based on the first episode but it's kinda just gone back to being typical shonen.

i'll give Barakamon and Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun a look. thanks, Mature and Admiral Woofington.

Quasar

If you're able to enjoy slice of life anime or comedies, then give a watch to Barakamon and Monthly Girl's Nozaki-kun.

I'd recommend trying sabage-bu too, but really it depends on your tastes. He might also like Tokyo ESP, though the first episode is pretty different to later ones. It seems to be setting it self up as a decent-ish anime superheroes show. Even me with my total burnout on superheroes as a concept kind of liked this so far.

Sagebu 4
Pretty funny episode especially that fight in the end. Had me laughing throughout the episode. The eating disorder joke though isn't exactly in good taste though.

Elfen Lied 9

wobFS5l.png

Seriously? I did not need to be reminded of this.

So it's a flashback episode where apparently Kouta knew Lucy/Nyu before she became a ruthless killing machine. We get to see into the mind of a psychotic killer and it doesn't make much sense. Yes, she is treated like shit but everything that happened to her is so over the top that it's completely unbelievable and ridiculous. This show is trying so hard to be taken seriously yet almost every minute there is something that is so completely idiotic it kills the tone it is trying to achieve. She is knocked over by some random guy at a festival and he insults her. Do people knock kids over then spit on them afterwards?

The scenes that show the bonding between Kouta and Lucy also somehow fit in a scene with naked children. What is the director's obsession with the nudity? The whole "Kouta betrayed me" because he was with a girl is jealousy to the absolute extreme. Why is she wondering whether his cousin is a girl? It's his cousin!

I'm shaking my head while watching this so much that I'm going to be as brain damaged as some of the characters seem to be in this anime.

I'd recommend trying sabage-bu too, but really it depends on your tastes. He might also like Tokyo ESP, though the first episode is pretty different to later ones. It seems to be setting it self up as a decent-ish anime superheroes show. Even me with my total burnout on superheroes as a concept kind of liked this so far.

See I'm so burned out on generic anime about a version of Japan with superpowers where the main characters must fight against bad guys and are typically high school age. Even if the execution was decent I just couldn't give a fuck at this point. Which is a shame.

I can't wait for Chariot to wake up to this:

UJBt2Rh.png

*tying for second place.*

UDlI0aH.jpg

I didn't share 2nd place with anyone back in my high days. This place really is slipping.

I was thinking of watching Doremi, I'm wanting some character-focused long-form storytelling and Heidi seems like it's gonna take decades to become fully available at this point. Maybe there's more people interested and we could turn this into Doremi-gaf for a while

YES! DO THIS! PLEASE!

Quasar

See I'm so burned out on generic anime about a version of Japan with superpowers where the main characters must fight against bad guys and are typically high school age. Even if the execution was decent I just couldn't give a fuck at this point. Which is a shame.

I'm not sure I've really seen many, as I came to anime fleeing superheros in western media. This might actually by my first one with folks in costumes spouting Stan Lee-isms.

I'm not sure I've really seen many, as I came to anime fleeing superheros in western media. This might actually by my first one with folks in costumes spouting Stan Lee-isms.

I genuinely stick with Vertigo comics when I read western stuff. Sandman, Preacher, Y The Last Man, Fables, etc...

So I guess the most I could get burned out with superheroes is with movies and tv shows.

survivor

Banned
Tamayura More Aggressive 1

I don't remember much from the previous season since I watched it a while back, but I did appreciate the way they reminded the viewer of what happened without feeling cheap. Even the idea of having Potte form the photography club as a way to show her progress and how more aggressive she is becoming and then flashing back to the other characters major developments from the previous season was clever.

Speaking of that, I was surprised when Potte wanted to form a photography club cause I thought the main gang was part of one already. I guess I'm way too used to current slice of life anime always revolving around some high school club that I assumed this one has already followed that premise.

Really like the ED for this season. It's a nice way to show Potte bond with her dad in a natural way since most of the time he is shown in the actual show is just through stills of him with the camera, at least from what I remember. I even liked the obvious waking up from dream and crying follow up to the first part of the ED.

i've watched up to episode 3 on Akame. i felt like the contrast of a typical shonen and some depraved nonsense would at least be good for a laugh based on the first episode but it's kinda just gone back to being typical shonen.

It's kind of in a "light depravity" phase. That will be changing soon. If you're willing to read the manga, the depravity goes to an absurd degree.

Quasar

I genuinely stick with Vertigo comics when I read western stuff. Sandman, Preacher, Y The Last Man, Fables, etc...

So I guess the most I could get burned out with superheroes is with movies and tv shows.

I think that's where part of my burnout originated. I think I was fine with capes confined to my comics reading, but now it being wall to wall supers elsewhere I burned myself out and so I started trying anime as an escape. I expected to last a few months and then come crawling back to my supers. That's lasted 2 years and I've dove into manga and light novels as well. Meanwhile supers on film and TV continues to expand.

Its weird. As a kid I really wanted to see superheroes on the big screen and comics I loved turned into shows and movies. But as its turned out, its not what I wanted at all. Funny how that happens.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The urge has been growing as I've gone through the comedic bits of Sailor Stars. I was surprised to see some of the expressions present in various Doremi grabs could be seen there too.

Both are Igarashi Takuya with Junichi Satou influence so it's no coincidence.

mankoto

Captain Earth 17
Salty Dog should just stay salty and stop trying.

Don't underestimate the powers of a magical girl!

Midonin

Yay. Someone apart from Firehawk and me watching Tamayura.

I already watched it when it was on air last year. Last summer was one of my favorite seasons. I had Gatchaman Crowds and Neptunia and Symphogear and a lot of other really fun things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom