• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryu Ga Gotoku (Yakuza) Zero Announced

lupinko

So nice of them to depict the "0" in English language in the logo when they are only intending to sell the game to the Japanese
39332e3b.jpg

Japanese say zero all the time for zero it's a loan word that replaced rei.

Go_Ly_Dow

How much did Yakuza 4 sell in the US anyway? I mean if it wasn't profitable then how are people suprised future games aren't localized?

I dont think we've ever had concrete sales data for them. If a SEGA rep would like to leak it all then that would be much appreciated.

People like to believe Dead Souls is the reason the series isnt getting localized anymore.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
I dont think we've ever had concrete sales data for them. If a SEGA rep would like to leak it all then that would be much appreciated.

People like to believe Dead Souls is the reason the series isnt getting localized anymore.

if anything that is the game that shouldnt have been localised

AniHawk

here's a short list of games that have sold better than any yakuza title:

gravity rush
tearaway
resistance: burning skies
the wonderful 101
zombi u
ghost recon shadow wars
any phoenix wright game for the ds
eternal sonata
dark sector
untold legends: dark kingdom
viva piñata trouble in paradise
ogre battle 64
earthworm jim 3d
bubsy 3d
resident evil 3 for dreamcast

Oh, so I assume you've not only got the US sales numbers, but the European ones as well? Mind posting them then?

just us numbers.

what platform is this on?

not port begging but if I can manage a japanese psn account I need the info

The game is coming out on the PS3 and PS4 like their last game - Ishin. I expect the PS4 port to be like Ishin as well - namely a prettier PS3 up port running at 1080p with 60FPS along with better textures etc.

I'd assume Yakuza 3 sold well enough for Yakuza 4 to come over, and that well enough for Dead Souls. Pretty easy to blame Dead Souls using that logic.

I heard a rumour it was a Sega Europe geezer that really fought for the games to come over, but he left Sega when they starting closing down parts of Sega Europe. Any truth to that?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'd assume Yakuza 3 sold well enough for Yakuza 4 to come over, and that well enough for Dead Souls. Pretty easy to blame Dead Souls using that logic.
The other rumour is that because companies like Ignition and Xseed approached Sega with the idea of licensing Y3, much like what happened with Sakura Wars and NISA, it gave them a push to do it themselves. The failure of Sakura Wars shut down the licensing efforts though, IIRC.

JoJoSono

Banned
stranger things have happened.

sega need to raise their profile and take a risk at some point after alien releases, they can't just lean on that licence forever, the licence will probably run out after another two or three games.
They don't just rely on Aliens.

They release Hatsume Miku games as well.

unbias

It really is amazing how nationally centrist Sega has become through this last generation of gaming. Between their F2P games heavily screwing over non Japanese gamers and them not localizing much of anything, it seems they are happy to stay on the island. Remembering them from the Genesis days to now is like looking at an entirely different company.

gravity rush
tearaway
the wonderful 101
zombi u
ghost recon shadow wars
eternal sonata
dark sector
ogre battle 64
earthworm jim 3d
bubsy 3d

just us numbers.

I bet Europe did its part and the US dragged us all down :p
You didn't like Tokyo Jungle after all!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812179

/angrily points finger to blame someone to stay in denial phase

unbias

gravity rush
tearaway
the wonderful 101
zombi u
ghost recon shadow wars
eternal sonata
dark sector
ogre battle 64
earthworm jim 3d
bubsy 3d

just us numbers.

Well lets hope so, Ogre Battle 64 was top 3 best games of the generation.

gelf

Sigh, I ask this everytime this comes up but I'll ask again. Do people really believe a company would not release a game purely out of spite or something? If the series had sold like hot cakes we'd be getting localisations no questions asked. They obviously have sales data that makes them think its not worth thier while.

I wish they wouldn't be so conservative with things but thier reasoning is understandable. The worst thing about being a Sega fan these days is the realisation that as a group we are not high enough in number to make any game successful.

It really is amazing how nationally centrist Sega has become through this last generation of gaming. Between their F2P games heavily screwing over non Japanese gamers and them not localizing much of anything, it seems they are happy to stay on the island. Remembering them from the Genesis days to now is like looking at an entirely different company.

Outright depressing is what it is. They're a shadow of their former selves now.

This title gives me a tiny glimpse of hope.

After all, they don't need continuation from Yakuza 5 to release this in the West. If they want to give the franchise a try again in the West, an English-subbed PS4 version of this game would be the way to go. Do it, Sega!

New details via Famitsu added to the OP.

your link doesn't work.

Famitsu isn't saying anything about who the main characters are but they did add silhouettes that could be interpreted as those characters.

Could also be someone looking for sailors.

What it -does- say is that the next issue will reveal the main players, the location, a prologue, an interview with the 2 guys in charge.

ZeroX03

Banned

gravity rush
tearaway
the wonderful 101
zombi u
ghost recon shadow wars
eternal sonata
dark sector
ogre battle 64
earthworm jim 3d
bubsy 3d

just us numbers.

Holy shit. I knew they weren't great but that's prettty awful. There should be no question now why future titles aren't getting localized.

Wonko_C

your link doesn't work.

Famitsu isn't saying anything about who the main characters are but they did add silhouettes that could be interpreted as those characters.

Could also be someone looking for sailors.

What it -does- say is that the next issue will reveal the main players, the location, a prologue, an interview with the 2 guys in charge.

Don't do this to me, my heart won't handle it. But if it's really going to be set in the same time period, I could see that person doing at least a cameo.

(...)
the wonderful 101
(...)

just us numbers.

I only know reliable figures for Yakuza 1 (Yakuza 1: 56K, Yakuza 2: 24K (but not really life-to-date numbers, only 5-first months sales) [Source brought back from the dead]). The Wonderful 101 had made 49K by the end of 2013(Source), so Yakuza 1 was already surpassing that, care to share your data and sources?

And really, Bubsy 3D? Really?

Spaghetti

They don't just rely on Aliens.

They release Hatsume Miku games as well.
that's true. miku is a decent little earner i assume. thank fuck for weird ass animu girl fans.

really though, the yakuza games are made so cheaply that even domestic sales alone can spin a profit. there has to be a way to make the series sustainable in the west and make use of the existing fanbase. there's money being left on the table, just sega need to find a way of getting to it in a cheaper fashion.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
that's true. miku is a decent little earner i assume. thank fuck for weird ass animu girl fans.

really though, the yakuza games are made so cheaply that even domestic sales alone can spin a profit. there has to be a way to make the series sustainable in the west and make use of the existing fanbase. there's money being left on the table, just sega need to find a way of getting to it in a cheaper fashion.
I assume the biggest expense is the voice actor rights at this point.
I'd be curious to know if the games have as much text as say, your standard forgettable JRPG like Neptunia in terms of actual localization cost.

Takao

Banned

they should just have yakuza studio run the script through google translate during development

Spaghetti

I assume the biggest expense is the voice actor rights at this point.
I'd be curious to know if the games have as much text as say, your standard forgettable JRPG like Neptunia in terms of actual localization cost.
yeah, the yazuka team have stretched the engine, the models, animations, etc over an entire extended generation of consoles. maybe even longer as i think there are still some bits and pieces in there from the ps2 games. quite possibly the most efficient game series of all time that isn't a sports title.

i don't think the cost is in localisation at all though, sega has a wealth of in-house teams that can do that, but more that distribution is what is pushing the cost up. if the series went digital only and expanded to maybe the pc too, i think sega may find some success.

they should just have yakuza studio run the script through google translate during development
i love broken english subtitles but... i'm actually pretty interested and invested in the yakuza story at this point.

AniHawk

How much does it really cost them to localize it? All they have to do is pay a few translators. I wish people would just fucking buy the games. I always looked at it as the closest thing we have to Shenmue. Not as good as Shenmue, but a substitute I had to live with. But now I don't even have the substitute, which is just heartbreaking.

Apparently Yakuza Of the End/Dead Souls was such a flop that they don't want to bring any more over? If they were concerned about sales, I don't know why they'd choose to bring over a side story like that instead of the main Yakuza 5.

kollapse

Neo Member
Is it possible that the major hurdle to localization is the cost demanded by agents for the actors? It has been my understanding that the series has used the likenessss and voices of legitimate television and film actors for characters. Could the terms of agreements between these actors and Sega of Japan drive up the pricetag to the point where it is prohibitive?

AniHawk

How much does it really cost them to localize it? All they have to do is pay a few translators. I wish people would just fucking buy the games. I always looked at it as the closest thing we have to Shenmue. Not as good as Shenmue, but a substitute I had to live with. But now I don't even have the substitute, which is just heartbreaking.

Apparently Yakuza Of the End/Dead Souls was such a flop that they don't want to bring any more over? If they were concerned about sales, I don't know why they'd choose to bring over a side story like that instead of the main Yakuza 5.

the problem is that the games have a shitload of text. it would take a long time for quality assurance, translation, and editing (making sure that terminology is correct and consistent with previous titles if the previous editors are gone or not working on this one).

it's the time it would take to translate it that makes it a project not worth doing. even if they handed the series out to a smaller company, you have to consider the opportunity cost in which they could be focusing on more titles that may do well versus one big one that may do good (for them at their size).

localization is also a burden on the original developers, who have to set aside time and people who normally have a job actually developing games to go back to a previously released title to fit everything in for america and europe. it's what ultimately made valkyria chronicles 3 impossible, because sega was done with the psp in the us at that point.

takoyaki

Thanks for sharing, the short Famitsu article where the picture is from says that the prologue of the story, the protagonist(s) and the location of the game will be revealed in the upcoming issue of Famitsu, which will be out on the 28th. There will also be an interview with two key people from the dev team, Toshihiro Nagoshi and Yokoyama Masayoshi.

Top Bottom