• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Berberian_Sound_Studio.jpg

Just watched this on netflix last night. I definitely recommend it to fans of giallo, fans of The Conversation, or just fans of sound mixing in general.

It wasn't a wholly satisfying film, but it is a very interesting one. The use of sound (and by extension, silence) in particular is worth your time alone. I'd advise watching this with either a good pair of headphones or great sound system to get the most from it, though.

Just watched this on netflix last night. I definitely recommend it to fans of giallo, fans of The Conversation, or just fans of sound mixing in general.

It wasn't a wholly satisfying film, but it is a very interesting one. The use of sound (and by extension, silence) in particular is worth your time alone. I'd advise watching this with either a good pair of headphones or great sound system to get the most from it, though.
Endorsing this opinion with the power of a thousand suns, I thought it was wonderful. Made with much love and respect for the actor and the atmosphere/genre.

big ander

Also didn't love Berberian Sound Studio and would still recommend it. It's a nice starter film. I've read similar reactions to Strickland's first film, but supposedly Strickland's third film (The Duke of Burgundy) finally finds the right alchemy and is incredible. I've seen many calling it one of the best films of the year.

Just watched this and would recommend it

300.png

Perhaps more of a mystery and suspense thriller than outright horror, but it gets pretty chilling once the paranoia ramps up, and it has a few icky moments. I like films that have a slow, unsettling atmosphere. I don't think the final act is as satisfying as it could be, but it's well shot and well acted.

Two of my favourites from last year worth checking out: Resolution and The Battery.

I probably won't watch 31 horror movies this month but I'll participate as best I can! My girlfriend and I usually watch at least one horror movie a week though.

Hoping to finally watch The Devil Rides Out but it's not available on Netflix or Amazon Streaming. And I can't seem to find a cheap copy anywhere :(

Bacon

Anyone have any recommendations on where to find some of the more obscure horror movies?

I love halloween time and really want to get in the spirit this year!

oatmeal

Banned
I've always wanted to do this and have usually watched a few...but I've failed every year.

Now that I have the theater built, I think I'll try harder this year.

I need to start with some that I own on the Apple TV...Paranormal Activity The Marked Ones, Texas Chainsaw (the most recent one)...and I think I have a couple more.

My friends film EXTRATERRESTRIAL is getting an odd release date...November. Considering the success they had with Grave Encounters, you'd think they'd get an October release.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/ifcfilms/extraterrestrial/

I'm in, made it last year, going to make it again! I have already seen the two mandatory movies so I don't think I'll rewatch them... This year I'll probably focus on 80s classics that I have seen already, but my wife hasn't.

Here's last year's list for those that are looking for some more titles:

#1 V/H/S/2 (Various, 2013)
Pretty awful... The scare moments got drowned out by the annoying fake digital glitches and overdone sound effects in most of the segments. Only the Borneo story had some meat in my opinion. Wasn't a fan of the first one either, but at least that one had a peculiar atmosphere that I found missing here.

#2 April Fool's Day (Fred Walton, 1989)
What a fun movie, especially the first part where there's not really much happening and everybody is getting to know eacht other, very funny stuff indeed. There are some original ideas when the action gets underway too. Something a little off with the ending but it seems that was indeed an issue back when the movie was made.

#3 Byzantium (Neil Jordan, 2013)
Looked great, decent performances, but a bit slow in the second half, and those typical vampire elements and "rules" felt a bit silly and underdeveloped I think.

#4 The Conjuring (James Wan, 2013)
A blend of Exorcist and Poltergeist, with too few original additions to have me recommend it. Some cool scares, but I left a bit disappointed.

#5 Prince of Darkness (John Carpenter, 1987)
This movie had a lot of potential, I love when science clashes with age old mysticism, great soundtrack too... but the incredibly weak and forgetteable characters really drag the movie down.

#6 Detention (Joseph Kahn, 2011)
Pretty entertaining, I was 16 in the 90s so I felt right at home, movie was really all over the place and not very scary, and the writing felt like second rate Diablo Cody, and I'm not a big fan of hers either. But I had fun, best character was that guy that had been in detention for 19 years.

#7 Sleep Tight (Jaume Balagueró, 2011)
Was a very nice suprise from one of the [REC] directors, loved the art nouveau apartment setting, and Luis Tosar does creepy very well. Atmospheric and polished.

#8 Dead Silence (James Wan, 2007)
I had been ignoring Wan before, but I must admit this too was a cool classic horror tale, not all that original maybe, but an able update of the old scary ventriloquist doll theme.

#9 The Burning (Tony Maylan, 1981)
Entering slasher territory, this one was a decent example, liked the character introductions... also George Costanza!

#10 The Changeling (Peter Medak, 1980)
This was a very interesting feature, great atmosphere and interesting tale, very decent acting too. Quality horror.

#11 - Phantoms (Joe Chappelle, 1998)
Didn't like this at all, from the characters to the creatures, it felt like a pilot of a cancelled TV show. But I guess Affleck owned ;)

#12 - Dream Home (Ho-Cheung Pang, 2010)
One of the best I watched this month... stylish, funny, gory, entertaining from the first moment. Very recommended, just as it was recommended to me here on GAF!

#13 - Candyman (Bernard Rose, 1992)
From the mind of Wes Craven, this was a bit too nineties, the antagonist didn't really convince me. Still had some fun with this, and Virginia Madsen was beautiful to look at.

#14 - The Haunting (Robert Wise, 1963)
This could have been brilliant, the setup and environment were great, but fuck the Nell character, completely ruined it for me.

#15 - The Lair of the White Worm (Ken Russell, 1988)
Probably the weirdest of the bunch, not one of the more polished Russell films, but having Peter Capaldi and Hugh Grant fighting some kind of sex and worm obsessed vampire lady goes a long way.

#16 - Night of the Demon (Jacques Tourneur, 1957)
What a great supernatural thriller, loved the suspense, imagine this movie but without the tacky monster (which is probably what Tourneur intended).

#17 - The Frighteners (Peter Jackson, 1996)
A bit of a change of pace, I'm puzzled as to why I had not seen this already. Michael J. Fox was great, movie had that old school feel good horror movie vibe.

#18 - An American Werewolf in Paris (Anthony Waller, 1997)
The biggest problem with this film is that it's like a botched sequel of the 80s classic, but there's a lot more that went wrong here. Thank god for Julie Delpy.

#19 - House at the End of the Street (Mark Tonderai, 2012)
One of the first real disappointments, incredibly mediocre story, a twist for the sake of twisting. Jennifer Lawrence made it bearable.

#20 - The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh (Rodrigo Gudiño, 2012)
And then shit got even worse. I didn't know of this movie before reading about it here on GAF, but what an absolute stinker. Slow, uneventful, mediocre acting, sell-out ending. I feel like I accidentally watched STV fodder.

#21 - Dead of Night (Various,1945)
So I needed to recuperate a bit, and this more than did the trick. One of the first horror anthologies, and the first British post-WWII horror film, this was a great experience, most segments were really effective, and the framing plot was actually one of the better ones. Recommended.

#22 - L'anticristo (Alberto De Martino, 1974)
A vile and nasty Italian interpretation of The Excorcist with a Morricone / Nicolai soundtrack? Entering kurisu1974's comfort zone in 3...2...1...

#23 - We Are What We Are (Jim Mickle, 2013)
Redundant semi-remake of Somos lo que hay (2010) which I wasn't exactly that keen on either.

#24 - It's Alive (Larry Cohen, 1974)
This was actually very decent, I had expected more of a silly shlocker, but the lead guy did a great job here. I guess I should avoid the sequels.

#25 - Dust Devil (Richard Stanley, 1992)
This was incredibly messy, probably following the troubled production process. Some good ideas, but the movie looks ugly and the actors don't really convince.

#26 - Frailty (Bill Paxton, 2001)
This is not a horror movie in my opinion, more of a straight thriller. On the other hand, I didn't hate it as much as some people, the father / son conflict was pretty disturbing and interesting.

#27 - Dracula 3D (Dario Argento, 2012)
I didn't know what to expect, but I certainly got more than that. It was better than other post 2000s Argento movies, but the magic has been long gone. Asia Argento gets nude, and Rutger Hauer is Van Helsing. Sometimes that is enough.

#28 - My Bloody Valentine (George Mihalka, 1981)
Great classic slasher, watched the uncut version and it had some great gore and kills.

#29 - Kill List (Ben Wheatley, 2011)
I was completely into it unitl the famous finale, when it stopped making much sense and the movie got quite uninteresting for me. Ben Wheatley is the king of flawed gems.

#30 - Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (Scott Glosserman, 2006)
Another semi-disappointment. Original premise, and some funny lines, but in the end it was rather predictable, and it kept losing steam as it went along.

#31 - The Mothman Prophecies (Mark Pellington, 2002)
This was actually rather atmospheric, even if the middle part of the film drags on a bit, I liked the setting and mystery.

Busy compiling my list.

So far:
The Howling
The Thing
Godzilla (2014)
Halloween
Dawn of the Dead

Does Jurassic Park count?

Normally I'd say Jurassic Park doesn't count because it's more of a thriller, but since we allow monster movies like Godzilla, I'm kind of conflicted.

JP certainly has more creature on human violence than Godzilla does so it seems kind of silly to say one is okay and one isn't...

I personally wouldn't include either, but I'll leave it up to your discretion if you want to include them or not.

J-Roderton

What I've got so far. Haven't seen most of these.

1. Rosemary's Baby
2. You're Next
3. Halloween
4. Hostel
5. White Zombie
6. Paranormal Activity Marked Ones
7. Leprechaun
8. The Purge Anarchy
9. Nightmare On Elm St.
10. Evil Dead
11. Sleepy Hollow
12. Dracula
13. House
14. Ravenous
.31. Trick R Treat

Here's my list:

Calendar2014_draft01_zps9bc7c157.png~original

I made myself a little calendar to make arranging my movies easier. After much blood, sweat and tears (mostly tears) I managed to trim it down to what I think is a pretty well rounded list with movies that should hopefully be fun to talk about.

This is the first year I'm doing only movies I haven't seen. It's composed of classics I've wanted to see for a long time, recommendations from past 31 Days of Horror and stuff I'm just generally curious about.

Highlights for me:

White Zombie - I loves me some zombie movies, but I've never seen THE original zombie movie. Even though it's voodoo zombies it should be a fun watch.

The Vampire Lovers - To the best of my knowledge, this will be my first Hammer movie ever. I originally wanted to do the whole Karnstein Trilogy, but I couldn't squeeze them all in.

All the Colors of the Dark - Unfortunately I could only find one horror giallo this year (the rest I had collected are thriller/mystery), so I'm looking forward to this. Plus Edwige Fenech is in it!

Body Horror Week (Oct 19-25) - Every year I'm going to try to do a theme week. Last year was Giallo Week and I'm considering Video Nasty Week for next year.
I've been itching to watch Videodrome for a while and I don't even know how many years I've wanted to watch the Tetsuo series. I decided to save them for the marathon so I can't wait to get to them.

Hellraiser 7-8 - I started watching the Hellraiser series with the first 31 Days of Horror and have been doing 2 every year. This year will be end of the series with Doug Bradley, leaving only the cheap cash-in Hellraiser: Revelations, which I am not looking forward to. As for these two, I've enjoyed the whole series so far even though they've never matched the heights of the original, so I think I'll have fun with them.

Elvira's Haunted Hills - It's Elvira! I couldn't think of a better way to end the marathon than with one of horror's greatest icons.

rtcn63

Watching God Bless America. Is that a horror movie? It's depressing, as I've worked in offices with young people (though I'm technically young myself). There's a reality there that brings me chills no CGI monster could replicate.

I just watched Death Spa last night. It's really an 80s time capsule. Lots of great gore effects, tons of nudity and the story is utterly ridiculous. It also a pretty stylish little film, making great use of colored lighting.

Excellent. That's exactly what I'm hoping for.

MickD

So in. I'm sure I won't be able to watch daily (due to an upcoming trip) but I think I can manage over 31. Going for no re-watches. Can't promise reviews but will keep a list.

I didn't really have a list last year and watched about 15-20 horror films in October so I thought I'd try and give it a serious go this year. Lot of stuff on here that I haven't watched in a long time and some will be first time views. List is subject to change.

1. Near Dark (1987)
2. Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992)
3. White Zombie (1932)
4. House (1986)
5. The Toxic Avenger Part II (1989)
6. Ginger Snaps (2000)
7. A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
8. Wishmaster (1997)
9. Fright Night (1985)
10. Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 (1988)
11. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986)
12. Thirst (2009)
13. The Host (2006)
14. Night of the Creeps (1986)
15. Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead (2006)
16. Candyman (1992)
17. Fido (2006)
18. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)
19. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)
20. The Gift (2000)
21. Creepshow (1982)
22. Creepshow 2 (1987)
23. Dead Snow (2009)
24. Inferno (1980)
25. Ravenous (1997)
26. An American Werewolf in London (1981)
27. The Strangers (2008)
28. Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers (1988)
29. Excision (2012)
30. The Exorcist (1973)
31. Rosemary’s Baby (1968)

Got banned during this last year so I'm definitely in last year. Probably won't have time for 30 again but I'll shoot for 20. My regulars are:

1. Trick r' Treat
2. Scream
3. Event Horizon
4. The Mist
5. Paranormal Activity
6. Cabin in The Woods

Also for gamers, Costume Quest 2 will be out close to Halloween!

Jarrod38

While not movies but don't forget Roseanne and the Halloween specials.
Ill update post when I can actually post some movies. On my tablet right now.

Divius

My tentative list which definitely needs some cutting and probably some swapping. I am open to any and all suggestions since I am not yet happy with it.

[snip]

I'll give it a shot but I'm not watching a horror movie from the 30s. It will be dry.

Man, broaden your horizons a bit. It's just barely over an hour long so it's not like it's a huge time investment. And it's not like it's a silent movie. It has dialogue and music.

You might enjoy it if you go in with a better attitude. Even if you don't, at least you'll be able to talk about it because everyone else would have seen it, unlike movies the you just pick for yourself.

Jal

I think i did 8 films last year, i watched more but was too lazy to post the rest so i'll try and be better this year. Need to get a list together.

Here's my list:

Calendar2014_draft01_zps9bc7c157.png~original

I made myself a little calendar to make arranging my movies easier. After much blood, sweat and tears (mostly tears) I managed to trim it down to what I think is a pretty well rounded list with movies that should hopefully be fun to talk about.

This is the first year I'm doing only movies I haven't seen. It's composed of classics I've wanted to see for a long time, recommendations from past 31 Days of Horror and stuff I'm just generally curious about.

Highlights for me:

White Zombie - I loves me some zombie movies, but I've never seen THE original zombie movie. Even though it's voodoo zombies it should be a fun watch.

The Vampire Lovers - To the best of my knowledge, this will be my first Hammer movie ever. I originally wanted to do the whole Karnstein Trilogy, but I couldn't squeeze them all in.

All the Colors of the Dark - Unfortunately I could only find one horror giallo this year (the rest I had collected are thriller/mystery), so I'm looking forward to this. Plus Edwige Fenech is in it!

Body Horror Week (Oct 19-25) - Every year I'm going to try to do a theme week. Last year was Giallo Week and I'm considering Video Nasty Week for next year.
I've been itching to watch Videodrome for a while and I don't even know how many years I've wanted to watch the Tetsuo series. I decided to save them for the marathon so I can't wait to get to them.

Hellraiser 7-8 - I started watching the Hellraiser series with the first 31 Days of Horror and have been doing 2 every year. This year will be end of the series with Doug Bradley, leaving only the cheap cash-in Hellraiser: Revelations, which I am not looking forward to. As for these two, I've enjoyed the whole series so far even though they've never matched the heights of the original, so I think I'll have fun with them.

Elvira's Haunted Hills - It's Elvira! I couldn't think of a better way to end the marathon than with one of horror's greatest icons.

.... I need to see this Death Bed now.

I think I've decided on my theme for this year...

Hammer-films.jpg

White Zombie and Ravenous on the first and second of the month, then 28 days of Hammer films ending with Trick 'r Treat on the 31st... I love Hammer films, and I own them all... the hardest part will be deciding on which films to watch...

-Kees-

List was a bit easier than I though it would be:

1. White Zombie (1932)/Evil Dead 2 (1987)
2. Dead Alive (1992)
3. Kuroneko (1968) (Hulu Plus)
4. House (1977) (Hulu Plus)
5. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) (Netflix)
6. Maniac (2012) (Netflix)
7. Black Sabbath (1963) (The Netflix version isn't the original Italian cut)
8. Blood and Black Lace (1964)
9. Spider Baby (1964)
10. The Baby (1973) (Netflix)
11. Legend of Hell House (1973) (Netflix)
12. The Conjuring (2013)
13. The Devil's Backbone (2001)
14. Let the Right One In (2008) (Netflix)
15. The Strange World of Coffin Joe (1968)
16. Ravenous (1999) (Netflix)
17. Phantasm (1979)
18. The Strangers (2008)
19. You're Next (2011)
20. Hellraiser (1987) (Netflix)
21. Pumpkinhead (1988)
22. High Tension (2003)
23. Inside (2007)
24. Eyes Without a Face (1960) (Hulu Plus)
25. Black Christmas (1974)
26. The Hills Have Eyes (1974)
27. The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
28. Cube (1997)
29. The Descent (2005)
30. Resolution (2012) (Netflix)
31. The Cabin in the Woods (2012) (Netflix)

With the exception of the middle 3, I got the idea watching 2 movies related in some way. I came up with it after I got about half of my list and found I could pair a few together pretty easily, so it helped fill out the rest. I usually watch older movies that I've been meaning to see but have burned through a lot so I'm watching more newer stuff this year. The order might change a bit.

I'm rewatching Let the Right One In and Evil Dead 2. I really liked LTROI but haven't seen it since it came out, Evil Dead 2 I saw I don't know how long ago but don't really remember much about it. I've also seen White Zombie but I'll watch it again for this thread.

Netflix recommendations if you haven't seen them:
Re-Animator
Let the Right One In
Rosemary's Baby
Carrie
Day of the Dead (1985)
Pontypool
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
The Host
Black Sunday

I didn't really have a list last year and watched about 15-20 horror films in October so I thought I'd try and give it a serious go this year. Lot of stuff on here that I haven't watched in a long time and some will be first time views. List is subject to change.

{snip}

Now that's a fun list. Glad to see Troma getting some love, I don't think they've gotten much attention in the past threads. Is this your first time seeing Toxic Avenger Part 2?

.... I need to see this Death Bed now.

Unfortunately, that one depends on if Amazon decides to send me the disc in time. They're really been dragging their feet on my orders lately...

I think I've decided on my theme for this year...

http://www.tasteofcinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Hammer-films.jpg

White Zombie and Ravenous on the first and second of the month, then 28 days of Hammer films ending with Trick 'r Treat on the 31st... I love Hammer films, and I own them all... the hardest part will be deciding on which films to watch...

Is there any way you can move Ravenous to the second half of the month? The idea behind two mandatory movies was that one was for the first half of the month, and one for the last half - in hopes that people would watch them roughly around the same time to encourage more conversation about them. If you really don't want to though, I'm not going to enforce anything, I just think it'll work out better for conversation that way.

GhaleonEB

Love Lake Mungo.
There is that one jump scare near the end though, it is a really effective one because of the slow build to it.

It was so gradually revealed that I didn't so much as jump as wince
and then hide behind my hands.
But I know what you mean.

Gonna read through the thread lists so far and start cobbling mine together this weekend. Other than a few rewatches, I think I'm gonna go with a 'monster movie' theme this year.

tav7623

Don't know how successful I'm gonna be but I'm gonna give this a try, below is my tentative list:

Prologue - Salem's Lot (1979): I didn't intend to watch it, but since there wasn't anything on TV/Cable that interested me I figured what the hell and when it ended I realized it was just past Midnight on Oct 1st so why not write about it. Overall I wasn't blown away by this adaptation of the Stephen King novel and after seeing this version I think I prefer the 2004 Rob Lowe version as the 79 version imo didn't age all that well. Also the actors in this version were imo really hamming it up at times (especially towards the end with Ben and Susan) and is it me or doesn't the main vampire in this version look like a cross between Count Orlof ( the vampire from Nosferatu) and a giant (ugly @$$) smurf. (Watched 9/30 - 10/1)

1. Resident Evil: Apocalypse - didn't intend to watch it, but it came on after Salem's Lot, and I wasn't tired yet so what the hell. Out of the Resident Evil movies this one is one of my favorites (my other favorite from the series being the first one) which to be honest isn't saying much as it pretty much took the next logical progression following the first movie and wasn't (imo) as good as the first one (watched 10/1/14)

2. John Carpenter's Vampires - another movie I didn't intend on watching, but as was the case with Salem's Lot there wasn't much on TV that interested me except for this movie even though I've seen many times over the years. This movie in general isn't all that great, but for me it's one of those movies that I don't mind watching from time to time (watched 10/2/14)

3. Annabelle (In Theaters) - I saw this in theaters earlier today and it was pretty much what I expected going in, which is stay it was alright. It didn't blow my mind nor was it downright terrible, but I will say that the ending did have me rolling my eyes and shaking my head (watched 10/3/14)

4. Predator (TV/Cable) - I've seen this movie many times and I still can't help but watch it when it comes on TV........if it bleeds we can kill it ;P (watched 10/4/14)

5. Alien (TV/Cable) - Same situation as above (if I see it's on TV I can help but watch it)...........you have my sympathies ;P (watched 10/5/14)

6. Rec 3: Genesis (Netflix)
7. The Seasoning House (Netflix)
8. Sightseers (Netflix)
9. Bad Milo (Netflix)
10. Lizzie Borden Took an Axe (Netflix)
11. Return of the Living Dead* (DVD)
12. The Ritual (Netflix)
13. Friday the 13th Part 4* (DVD)
14. Elvira Mistress of the Dark* (Netflix)
15. Ravenous (Netflix)
16. The Collection (Netflix)
17. Phantoms* (Netflix)
18. The Evil Dead (2014)* (Blu-Ray)
19. The Stuff (Netflix)
20. Here Comes the Devil (Netflix)
21. Paranormal Activity 2* (Blu-Ray)
22. The People Under the Stairs* (DVD)
23. Insidious 2 (Netflix)
24. An American Werewolf in London* (Blu-Ray)
25. Scream* (Netflix)
26. John Carpenter's The Thing* (DVD)
27. Manic (2012) (Netflix)
28. The Woman in Black (2012)* (Blu-Ray)
29. Aliens* (Blu-Ray)
30. John Carpenter's Halloween* (DVD)
31. Trick r Treat* (Blu-Ray)

* = rewatching

Click on a picture to go to the individual post. Film titles that are italicized = rewatches.

lFek4.gif
Hall of Shame
lFek4.gif
:

Martyrs - Couldn't finish this one. It started off interestingly enough but wasn't here for sitting through near constant acts of violence/torture for the last half.
Teeth - Fell asleep at some point. Wasn't enjoying enough to go back to finish.
Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare - Horrible.

Lazyslob

Banned
im pretty sure its been asked before but what are the best horror movies on netflix.

also, what are the best horror anthology movies? those are definitely my favorite

Now that's a fun list. Glad to see Troma getting some love, I don't think they've gotten much attention in the past threads. Is this your first time seeing Toxic Avenger Part 2?

Never gotten around to Toxie 2 since I've heard countless times how bad the sequels are from friends but what the hell... I've seen Toxie 1 countless times though.

Toxie 2 is silly fun. I get a kick out of it. #3 is awful though.

Edit: if you're watching it on DVD, the commentary is really fun too. Lloyd always does great commentaries.

Toxie 2 is silly fun. I get a kick out of it. #3 is awful though.

Edit: if you're watching it on DVD, the commentary is really fun too. Lloyd always does great commentaries.

Unfortunately I do not own the DVD and will be watching it on Netflix although once Troma releases the Blu-ray, I'll probably grab them for the hell of it. Still need to grab that Toxie 1 BR that just came out.

Top Bottom