• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT5| New patch out Tues., Master Rahool reportedly crying into his robes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZangBa

Using 1/3 of your special ammo to kill half a dozen dregs is worth your Exotic weapon allocation?

Think outside the box here. A solar Fusion Rifle that auto-fires 8 shots. Think about how good that is for annihilating specific enemy types, and just about anything with the solar power buff.

I bet it's fun AF in PVP.

Ok I'm on now so if anybody is down to do the 28 weekly heroric strike let me know, or if you need a second or thrid.

my psn account is akademik209. 27 hunter btw.

Think outside the box here. A solar Fusion Rifle that auto-fires 8 shots. Think about how good that is for annihilating specific enemy types, and just about anything with the solar power buff.

Not to mention Pocket Infinity nets you double special ammo when you pick it up, even in PvP, as well as starting with more ammo, too. It also has a chance to return missed shots directly back into the magazine. I almost never run out of it in PvE, and never in PvP. Don't discount Pocket Infinity, thing needs a nerf, imo, but until then, I'm gonna kick some ass with it.

grimmiq

I'll stick with my 8 ammo Gyallerhorn ^^.

Legendary engram's are being demoted to rare with the patch.

I think he/she means the packages you get that turn into engrams, so leave them in your mailbox..idk if they'll be nerfed though.

Juraash

So despite all the funky psn stuff I did get some decent time to play solo today. Got myself a purple glove engram while doing some bounties and they turn into Sunbreakers. All I could do was laugh my ass off. I didn't want them both weeks that Xur had them, but the game made sure I had em anyways.

Exotic armor doesn't seem to take much to unlock upgrades, so maybe I'll mess with them at some point. I'd shard them along with the Suros I found last week but I just can't bring myself to do that with stuff I've actually found.

cluto

Using 1/3 of your special ammo to kill half a dozen dregs is worth your Exotic weapon allocation?

Two of the weapon's talents are "find more ammo for this weapon type" and "any missed shot has a chance to return directly to the magazine", but even if it didn't have those, the pocket infinity is the most fun weapon I've used in this game. So, yes, it's worth it. It's also pretty good at melting bosses and ultras.

Sergoes

So despite all the funky psn stuff I did get some decent time to play solo today. Got myself a purple glove engram while doing some bounties and they turn into Sunbreakers. All I could do was laugh my ass off. I didn't want them both weeks that Xur had them, but the game made sure I had em anyways.

Exotic armor doesn't seem to take much to unlock upgrades, so maybe I'll mess with them at some point. I'd shard them along with the Suros I found last week but I just can't bring myself to do that with stuff I've actually found.
Sharding exotics just hurts to watch. Had to shard two helms this week.

Bsigg12

Crucible sucks so much dick if you're not 20+. You might have a stat boost but it means jack shit when everyone else is using better overall weapons.

casmith07

Crucible sucks so much dick if you're not 20+. You might have a stat boost but it means jack shit when everyone else is using better overall weapons.

Agreed. They say that everything is "normalized" but it's not really true. The over-use of fusion rifles and shotguns kind of makes it unfun too.

Yeezus

A lot of people seem to be having a difficult time in the PvP. Obviously better gear and weapons help, but a good player will still be able to win on the strength of skill most of the time, especially with the damage bonuses disabled.

ZangBa

Lol, my level 4 Bladedancer with a white auto-rifle and shotgun does just fine TBH. It's actually pretty funny.

Apathy

And yet bungie allows it. One low level character on a team really cripples that side (specially in 3v3). They just don't have the talents that high level characters do, but this shitty ass matchmaking they implemented still sticks them against people they have no chance against.

Wouldn't have been hard to make a system to implement one week after starting the game that would start separating out level 20+ to play against each other and 19- to play against each other. Boom, problem solved.

DBgksi4.jpg

GOTY confirmed!

Steel

Banned
A lot of people seem to be having a difficult time in the PvP. Obviously better gear and weapons help, but a good player will still be able to win on the strength of skill most of the time, especially with the damage bonuses disabled.

My shingen-e, big Chief and Cydonia are all things you can get at level 20 or below, I've been doing just fine with em. It's more about having the right type of gun than anything else.

void666

Banned
Might be OK for pvp or as a void lock but for sunsinger pve, its pretty crap. Health on super use isn't great when you use your super to revive yourself most of the time.

I'm a sunsinger so... Too bad. I want an exotic. Have only rares now. Oh well, i'll wait till next friday.

Thanks.

So, I just finished the raid with a group for the first time, the mission timer went to zero, but we didn't get pulled out into the lobby. We even lost the checkpoint before the final boss so we cant just redo it and we didn't get raid rewards. This raid is so damn glitchy.

Bladelaw

Can i get a hand doing the heroic strike at 26? Im 24 on this character and i really need those strange coins before xur leaves.
PSN fadeddream

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
When we last left off, we were all saving up Strange Coins and Motes for Xur's next visit.

Now he's arrived with his toys for the girls and boys, and everyone and his uncle has a Suros Regime. Watch out for it in the Crucible, Guardians, although I ought to warn you with it equipped. The fact that you have it equipped, means I know you don't have either of these equipped
and I'll be gunning for you in particular.

But this is about leveling, right.

I know you all want to hit 30. We're all chasing it, and it's not easy to get there. This guide will get you to 29, and then some things need to happen that I can't help you with. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

First off, let's take a step backward real quick- my guides so far will have made you raid-ready or close. Mini-goal 4 was about pushing us past 27 with exotic armor without relying on engram rolls.

But right now, there's an alternate path of progression for players near 24 to get to 26. The Queen's Wrath event is offering two possible guaranteed legendaries (you'll get 1 of 4 items each mission you complete). So let's call this 4.5, and then I'll go from there assuming everyone is on point.

Mini-goal #4.5 (Level 23-24 and possibly 22 to level 26): Acquire a Helm and Chestpiece from the Queen of the Awoken

The first part's pretty simple: get some Queen's Wrath mission tokens. To do this, go to the bounty tracker and get a bounty (the third row). These are quite easy to complete. When you turn it in, you'll get a token in your inventory. These are an entrance ticket to a Queen's mission, and they can stack. Each token is a chance at one of the 4 possible Queen's Wrath rewards, a chest, helm, sniper rifle, or ship- all legendaries.

The Queen's missions themselves are quite hard, actually. They're level 24, but I had trouble soloing one of the tougher ones myself. Some things to keep in mind:
  • A Burn modifier will be active. Look at your Nav menu (press the touchpad on PS4) to see the icon indicating which one it is. Use weapons of that element, and hit enemy weakpoints for massive damage.
  • By going to Orbit, you can just "reroll" which mission you get and look for an easier one. So far as I know, the one on Earth ("Restoration") is the simplest.
  • If you're below level 24, you'll need someone to carry you. I recommend asking in this thread for assistance. As long as someone else has a ticket they can also get the rewards, though sadly the Helm and Chest do not break down into Shards for high level use.
Those two legendary pieces, plus a few simple base upgrades, will get you to 26 easily.

Mini-goal #5- Learn to Love the Sight of an Ascendant Shard
Ascendant_shard1.jpg
Ascendant_shard1.jpg
Ascendant_shard1.jpg

Ascendant Shards, or "ass shards" as the community has taken to calling them over my strong obection, are a huge part of your endgame in Destiny.

Ascendant materials are used to upgrade your prized Legendary and Exotic items. While Ascendant energy is used to upgrade weapons, only armor upgrades give you extra light, which makes Ascendant shards much, much more valuable during the endgame leveling process.

Here's how you get them:
  • Run your Daily Heroic Story. At 28, this gets you either 2 ascendant energy or 2 ascendant shards, every day, guaranteed.
  • Complete one public event, daily. There will be a reward waiting for you back in your mailbox in the Tower. Following this, all public events also have a slight chance to give you more, so farming them is an option.
  • Dismantle Legendary and Exotic gear. This will hurt the first couple of times... but a big part of Destiny's endgame is choosing your most prized possessions to fully upgrade- and smashing the rest apart for the shinies inside. Hard as it may be to believe, Legendaries that drop for you in a slot you already have will start to look like trash that you immediately want to rip open. Purchasing Vendor Legendaries to dismantle them is the truly dependable, static non-RNG method of acquiring Ascendant Shards, each week.
  • In large number, a potential reward from the Weekly Nightfall. In Angry Joe's review, I was really disappointed by one part where he shows a friend of his beating a nightfall and getting to the reward screen. Both of his friends get weapons, whereas he gets 11 ascendant shards. He then rages out ("0/10, fuck this game") but... ascendant shards are a great roll! I would love that as a Nightfall reward- especially because a legendary in a slot I've already got is either for an alt, or to be immediately broken down- and that's only 2 or 3 shards! I know a lot of people would counterargue that it was Bungie's responsibility to communicate how important they are as a reward to players, and that's totally valid. I just feel that's an awesome potential reward each week.
  • Crucible matches.

Each legendary armor piece takes 18 shards to upgrade, leaving its Light at 27.
    Each exotic armor piece takes 24 shards to upgrade, leaving its Light at 30.

Raid armors upgrade like regular legendaries, but max at 30 light.

All in all that's 72 shards for a full legendary build or 78 for a 3 legendary + exotic build.

That's a lot of goddamn shards.

It ought to be, though- fully upgrading your non-raid gear and an exotic will get you to 29.
Fully upgrading your raid gear, plus one exotic in every slot, leaves you with 4 x 30 Light, for 120 total. That's Level 30, and it's the only way to get there.

That means....

Mini-goal #6 (29+): Hold Fast to your Fireteam and Raid

My friends, I have some sad news.

If you hit level 29 without relying on RNG rolls, you've gone as far as you can without facing off against that elusive, sultry monster.

RNG is necessary to reach level 30.

I know, I know. But hey, it's not this guy!

It comes from here:

You need to hit the Vault of Glass to hit 30, and if you want to hit 30, you should want to hit the vault of glass.

Its treasures can be yours once a week, and the reset is on Tuesdays at 2:00AM PST.

"There's no matchmaking?! How the hell am I supposed to run this once a week?"
Everyone has their scheduling quirks and it's tough to be able to commit hours to raiding all at once. Luckily, raids have checkpoints within them, so an hour a night is actually possible.

I recommend finding a static group to run with if at all possible. If you know the people are available at that time on a regular basis, picking a time to raid with them every week becomes a more viable option than just trying to find a group at random times each week.

This thread is a fine bet, and there's also RaidGAF which exists almost solely for the purpose above.

Finally, if you're not comfortable posting here or other things preclude you from forming a GAF fireteam, there's always www.destinylfg.net. Put in your message to the list, "Looking for a Regular Group at this time" and maybe list weekdays possible.​

"Now what?"

What, you mean you're 30? I'm not even 29 yet! Leave me alone!

There's a hard mode of the raid with unique rewards. The next raid is coming out as paid DLC in December. But between you and me, I wouldn't be surprised if there were something for you to do added before then. Time will tell.

Epilogue: Fuck Engrams? Get Money?
8HM4jLO.png

A lot of you have probably heard about the patch coming next week.

One of the primary updates to the game will be that engrams will always decrypt to their color item (or better), and indeed even blues are being updated to give purples more often!

These are great changes to the game, but it might not be for the reason you think. Whether you read my psychotic rant or not, you might know that I have largely written engrams off as a method of concrete progression in Destiny.

Brace yourselves: this will still be the case after this patch. Engrams that give you the stuff you expect to be in them will be great, but this change will primarily be a psychological one. Even if they don't correspondingly nerf the overall drop rates of blue and purple engrams to reflect this change- you STILL don't get, with enough consistency to recommend it, usable legendary/exotic drops from engrams to rely on it for progression.

It will FEEL better. Way better. It won't quite BE better. But it'll make you less mad.

Although still fuck the Cryptarch. Aside, I hope there's no fucking Cryptarch fan club that comes around as a result of this. Fuck that guy, seriously, and I say this as someone who technically got his favorite item in the game "from" him. He still doesn't care about you. Fuck the Cryptarch.

So, FE;GM, still?

I guess I'd say yeah. But it'll be more like "Oh neat, engrams! yay! but also still get money."

Not as catchy, I know.

dengatron

when leveling an alt my best game of control yet was played at level 9 with a level 6 shingen c and no greens other than that. 32 kills with a 6 something kd and 6200 points. find a shingen auto rifle and win the game.

rselig1974

Neo Member
Any suggestions on the best primary weapon on the vanguard vendor for pve/pvp use? I just hit rank 3 and am struggling to decide. I understand it would of course depend partially on preference, I just don't want to be let down. I'm leaning towards the hand cannon or the higher impact auto rifle.

I currently have a legendary scout rifle and while it is fine, it does underwhelm.

Acrylic7

level 24 and its fucking impossible to get anything that isn't blue. I only have 2 legendary items and one is a shader and the other is a Titan Mark. and I'm pretty sure I got one if not both of this things from redeemable codes.

How in the fuck is everyone getting all of this good shit? What am I doing wrong?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anyone on PS4 who needs the Nightfall right now, speak up!
level 24 and its fucking impossible to get anything that isn't blue. I only have 2 legendary items and one is a shader and the other is a Titan Mark. and I'm pretty sure I got one if not both of this things from redeemable codes.

How in the fuck is everyone getting all of this good shit? What am I doing wrong?
please check the guides in the OP. they'll now get you all the way to 29 :p

Sorral

21 Blue engrams plus the vanguard rank up gift.... someone please stop me from decrypting all of them before the patch.... ._.

Edit: Make that 22.. Just looking at them is driving me nuts because Rahool is like "you know you want to... you will rank up too!"

Oh wise DestinyGAF, I seek your wisdom in my time of need! I have the option of an exotic bounty!

I cant decide between super good advice or pocket infinity. I really like fusion rifles and have a nice legendary fusion rifle and rocket launcher. Although a much prefer fusion rifles, im gonna finish the raid soon and i could get the machine gun much sooner. :/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh wise DestinyGAF, I seek your wisdom in my time of need! I have the option of an exotic bounty!

I cant decide between super good advice or pocket infinity. I really like fusion rifles and have a nice legendary fusion rifle and rocket launcher. Although a much prefer fusion rifles, im gonna finish the raid soon and i could get the machine gun much sooner. :/
pocket infinity

edit: eh if you don't have a machine gun, go for that. your call

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom