• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 main protagonist is Agent Locke;playing as the "primary character", says actor

Edit from Frankie:

"A" primary character,

Chief is the main character and hero.

NO.

The end.

I know 343 said we'll play as Locke during the course of the campaign at some points, but personally I'm hoping it's not as much as is insinuated here...I still want to primarily play as the Chief.
In an interview in X-One magazine (subsequently posted on Reddit), actor Mike Colter - who plays Agent Locke in the TV series - says he is the star of Halo 5.

"Yeah, I'm a playable character in Halo 5," he claims. "Once Halo: The Master Chief Collection is released, and then Halo 5 comes out shortly thereafter, you're basically going to be playing a game with me as the primary character."

"I'll have some cool weaponry, and some cool abilities, because by that time I'll be a Spartan IV." While Colter didn't give any further information on how much of the game is spent controlling Agent Locke, he did also give some hints that suggested at least part of the campaign involves searching for Master Chief. "What's not known, is whether I'm a friend or foe," he teased. "The relationship between Master Chief and Jameson Locke is going to be interesting. Because what's the outcome?

"Is he dead or alive? Because that's usually what a manhunt comes down to, dead or alive, but you won't know what the purpose of finding Master Chief is [right away].

"Or what will happen if we do find him, what condition he will be in, and where he's at mentally. But I'm sure that'll be a plot twist in Halo 5."
Via CVG

Zaku

Yes, because after all the events of Halo 4, that's exactly what I want: To play as some random Spartan and not the Chief.

What are 343 doing with the series? Is Halo 6 going to be a RTS or something?

Knowing that actually just got me more interested. It'll be cool to see what direction they go in with that.

Master Chief Collection will give me plenty of Chiefly goodness to get playing as him out of my system.

Plus, ODST and Reach were among the best Halo campaigns and neither of them had you playing as Chief. I wouldn't worry yet.

I know 343 said we'll play as Locke during the course of the campaign, but personally I'm hoping it's not as much as is insinuated here...I still want to primarily play as Chief :-/
Via CVG

Pretty sure in the past 343 have said MC will be the main character of Halo 5.

I don't know, I found playing as Arbiter in Halo 2 interesting and was great to see the story from another viewpoint.

Also, Locke may not be the protagonist though from his tease?

xenist

A main Halo game without Master Chief as the main character is going to happen.

Oh sorry, did I say "is going to happen?" I meant IS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

I don't know, I found playing as Arbiter in Halo 2 interesting and was great to see the story from another viewpoint.
I liked playing as the Arbiter, and like you said it was great to open up the conflict from another angle. I would have strongly preferred playing as the Arbiter for 1 or 2 missions only though.

Ein Bear

'Agent Jameson Locke hunting down the Master Chief' is a sentence so boring that I fell asleep twice just typing it.

Is he friend or foe!? Oh my god I don't care, I want Chief bro-ing up with Arbiter and blowing up giant alien shit with laser guns.

"Yeah, I'm a playable character in Halo 5," he claims. "Once Halo: The Master Chief Collection is released, and then Halo 5 comes out shortly thereafter, you're basically going to be playing a game with me as the primary character."

That sounds to me like he's saying a game AFTER Halo 5 will feature the Locke character as the primary lead. Not Halo 5 itself. I don't have much of an issue with that.

mcrommert

Banned
This...Master chief was confirmed as the main protagonist some time ago...probably a Arbiter/Master Chief thing here..everyone chill

bluexy

Hm. I don't expect them to go full Metal Gear Solid 2 here. Still, what a weird thing to say. He's definitely the star of Nightfall... maybe that's what he was implying?

I don't want to hunt down Master Chief. The guy has gone through enough. He just lost his
hologilrfriend
. Give him a break.

ryan299

5's campaign will be the same as 2. As long as Chief is still the main protagonist and is played with more I won't have a problem with the game.

Welfare

This better be Chief/Arbiter style like in Halo 2. If Locke is the "Main" character, then I will be disappointed. I want Chief, damnit!

^Well then. Still, Chief 75% Locke 25% please and thank you.

Mesoian

Watch him die after the prologue and we play as Master Chief for the rest. :p

God, you joke, but knowing all the hollywood queues these games take from, I could see there being that level of a bait and switch happening.

They're probably gonna test the waters to see if they can retire Master Chief.

Honestly, if they made another Spartan group that was actually charismatic, I'd be all for John dying. Trouble is, there isn't an ounce of personality between the entire cast of Halo 1-4, save for Cortana.

Considering we're already getting giant robot monsters with Halo 5, I'm all for them really changing things up and using said change to expand on the universe. But let's not twist things here, John has never been that great of a character. If they could BJ Blaskawitz him up (they made BJ really interesting in the new Wolfenstein) then fine, but otherwise, it's not like the universe hinges on John, it hinges on the idea of the Master Chief. Who John has only ever been important to one person ever, and that's Cortana, and she's "dead".

So yeah, let's get some new people in.

Ghazi

Don't freak out guys, he may be the actor but I'm sure he just means he's one of the main characters. Remember the Arbiter?

This better be Chief/Arbiter style like in Halo 2. If Locke is the "Main" character, then I will be disappointed. I want Chief, damnit!

I'd be happy for a playable Chief/Locke/Arbiter trifecta. That might be a little too much on the narrative side, but damn, a man can dream.

They're probably gonna test the waters to see if they can retire Master Chief.

Yuuup.

I'm not going to be the least bit surprised if 5 or 6 ends up with you as Locke killing Chief, and giving 343 free reigns to go do something within the universe.

They're doing a lot of work to make Locke a character, and that's probably a big investment in the future.

Mesoian

Don't freak out guys, he may be the actor but I'm sure he just means he's one of the main characters. Remember the Arbiter?

I remember Keith David, yes.

Should have been Keith David.

Is this new guy just Keith David?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wait.. why are we searching for the Chief again? What did I miss or what was thrown in a Terminal after Halo 4?

Mesoian

Should've just been the Arbiter again. You know, doin' some politics stuff.

Real talk, I would gladly play a game who's VO is just all Keith David. Keith David, featuring Keith David, also starring Keith David, and in his farewall performance, Keith David.

daman824

Yuuup.

I'm not going to be the least bit surprised if 5 or 6 ends up with you as Locke killing Chief, and giving 343 free reigns to go do something within the universe.

They're doing a lot of work to make Locke a character, and that's probably a big investment in the future.
Locke won't kill chief. He's working for the arbiter.

Top Bottom