• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Chariot

Oh come oooon, Mission 16 :(

It really annoys me that everything dies that is on the same height or above the Ship. I parked the Edelweiss in the blocked sideway, where the ship should by definition of my mission not pass through, but it was destroyed anyways :( And after I activated all bombs with Alicia.

Durante

DLC_0002_val_in_action.htx is the same texture, but is the one actually loaded by the game. That took a while for me to find when working on my Playstation button prompt mod.
I replaced two of the textures used by the CANVAS shaders for the rendering (in "canvas/vl_cvr.htx"). However, now I get infinite loading at the start of the game. Have you seen this before? any ideas?

As much as I'm enjoying this game, there's one thing that bugs me a lot.

Sooooo much information is hidden from the player. Character stats, potential activation chance, potential activation effect (i.e. '+50% damage' rather than '+ damage'), order activation effect (same), how damage calculation works, etc. It reduces what could have been strategic choices to guesswork; how can I choose what character to put in my squad if I don't know how relevant his/her potentials are? How can I choose between upgrading tank health or tank defence when I don't know what defence does?

raven777

screenshot_2014-11-15zoqz1.png

screenshot_2014-11-153wo88.png
Love the HUDless screenshot feature on Gedosato. But can you take HUDless screenshot on the resolution you play in? It takes full resolution screenshot instead of 1080P which I am playing in.

Durante

I replaced two of the textures used by the CANVAS shaders for the rendering (in "canvas/vl_cvr.htx"). However, now I get infinite loading at the start of the game. Have you seen this before? any ideas?
I got it to work. It's a relatively minor difference, but the blocking in one particular animation frame of the border was bugging me a lot (I know I know, graphics OCD).

Here's a comparison - left is the original and right is the modded version:
canvas_modgssue.jpg

Love the HUDless screenshot feature on Gedosato. But can you take HUDless screenshot on the resolution you play in?
That would be hard, becasue once it's at that resolution the HUD has been drawn already. What you can do is toggle the HuD off (once yo uset a key for that action) and then take a "normal" screenshot with GeDoSaTo.

KiraFA37

I got it to work. It's a relatively minor difference, but the blocking in one particular animation frame of the border was bugging me a lot (I know I know, graphics OCD).

Here's a comparison - left is the original and right is the modded version:
canvas_modgssue.jpg

That would be hard, becasue once it's at that resolution the HUD has been drawn already. What you can do is toggle the HuD off (once yo uset a key for that action) and then take a "normal" screenshot with GeDoSaTo.

Did you only add smoothing or are their some other differences? Looks better, not that I have noticed the blockiness in-game yet, which I probably will now

Durante

Did you only add smoothing or are their some other differences? Looks better, not that I have noticed the blockiness in-game yet, which I probably will now
For both the canvas and the border texture, I
  1. Scaled them up to 4x the size using the ImageMagick Mitchell resampling filter.
  2. Applied some filters to (very subtly) add high-frequency detail on top of the existing upsampled texture.
For the border, I additionally smoothened the blocking and moved out the desaturation effect (alpha channel) a bit further towards the edge of the screen.

Edit:
Get it here.

Falk

that puzzling face
Oh come oooon, Mission 16 :(

It really annoys me that everything dies that is on the same height or above the Ship. I parked the Edelweiss in the blocked sideway, where the ship should by definition of my mission not pass through, but it was destroyed anyways :( And after I activated all bombs with Alicia.

Maybe it got
blown up by the broadside cannons

!!

KiraFA37

Finally done chapter 14, was lame. Took me several retries since I forgot that
shocktroopers flamethrowers can take out bunkers in 2 shots
and I wanted to get a good ranking (got A).
Instead I was using the Edelweiss and Shamrock to take out the AT-bunker which takes alot of AP. Mission looked interesting but the instant respawning enemies make it lame, instead they should take at turn or 2 to respawn.

Chapter 7 FUCK YOU GAME, godamit, everything is fine, perfect strat first try, no loss, no damage, last radiator, fuckign reinforcement, wtf is this shit, blue flame lance on this girl ? WTF one shot everyone, ok no prob, just play timer, move and shoot fucking tank, show me your last radiator, no fuck you he said, he focused my own tank. Died in a single turn. FUCK YOU

Chariot

Chapter 7 FUCK YOU GAME, godamit, everything is fine, perfect strat first try, no loss, no damage, last radiator, fuckign reinforcement, wtf is this shit, blue flame lance on this girl ? WTF one shot everyone, ok no prob, just play timer, move and shoot fucking tank, show me your last radiator, no fuck you he said, he focused my own tank. Died in a single turn. FUCK YOU
Keep your tank save. I had it in the corner in the northwest with the radiator to the wall, because I too fell victim to the backcanon of the tank. Keep your troops hidden in the ruins in the south, the valkyria will run to the enemy tank and stay there, just don't get into her field of view and you'll be fine.
Finally done chapter 14, was lame. Took me several retries since I forgot that
shocktroopers flamethrowers can take out bunkers in 2 shots
and I wanted to get a good ranking (got A).
Instead I was using the Edelweiss and Shamrock to take out the AT-bunker which takes alot of AP. Mission looked interesting but the instant respawning enemies make it lame, instead they should take at turn or 2 to respawn.
Yeah, the mission is pretty bad. If you know what's coming you can easily abuse it. If you don't, you're probably fucked, because no way to know what exactly happens and prepare for that.
I just had Alicia do the work. While I positioned my troops in the north and south, she took everything out, including the bunker, except the ace in the trench.

O.DOGG

Whaf I did was place my tank right next to her between her and my soldiers. it was pretty easy after that.

McNum

There's something i seem to remember, but haven't got a chance to try yet. But can't you actually stun Selvaria in that mission? Hit her with a mortar shot and her blue flames should turn purple, signifying she'll skip next turn.
Or does that only work the second time you fight her?

I think I did that on the PS3, kind of out of spite. "I know this won't do anything to her, eat mortar!" But it's been several years since I last played chapter 7.

haikira

Okie, my high res character texture mod is uploaded now. Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ii8hthg9hrgpc24/HighResCharacterTextures.rar

And more ingame examples of mod:
Normal: http://abload.de/img/rosie-normalkvucc.jpg
Highres: http://abload.de/img/rosie-highresyiuzd.jpg

Normal: http://abload.de/img/largo-normal8tur2.jpg
Highres: http://abload.de/img/largo-highresssur9.jpg

Normal: http://abload.de/img/marina-normalh2ufg.jpg
Highres: http://abload.de/img/marina-highreszkuli.jpg

Normal: http://abload.de/img/vyse-normalzhuld.jpg
Highres: http://abload.de/img/vyse-highres1gu5n.jpg

Difference isn't exactly mind blowing, but it does look better. I'm thinking it'll mostly benefit those playing at higher resoutions. It impacts all characters by the way, from any faction and even the generic units.

Going to use this next time I play. Thanks!

Durante

Do you mean this, Durante?

It's slg_interface/val_in_cmd_chip[/QUOTE]Hmm, I just spent an hour creating unit icons and now I see that this file apparently isn't used. Probably replaced in some DLC package as well.

[quote="UnluckyKate, post: 138977650"]Chapter 7 FUCK YOU GAME, godamit, everything is fine, perfect strat first try, no loss, no damage, last radiator, fuckign reinforcement, wtf is this shit, blue flame lance on this girl ? WTF one shot everyone, ok no prob, just play timer, move and shoot fucking tank, show me your last radiator, no fuck you he said, he focused my own tank. Died in a single turn. FUCK YOU[/QUOTE]I missed these posts. It was fun times when everyone got to Chapter 7 back in the PS3 release thread. There are some strategies posted a few pages back if you need help.

patapuf

Whaf I did was place my tank right next to her between her and my soldiers. it was pretty easy after that.

That or use the natural cover that's around, She needs a second or two to aim.

Also, remember that you can use unused command points in the next turn.

Chariot

Chapter 7 was hard as fuck, i completed in rank b but really was intense
It's certainly hard if you don't know what's coming.
But as someone said, it forces you to use covers and think about the environment you're fighting in.

I did got an A after I finished it, just like every other mission I have found difficult. They really motivate me, to plan my steps which in turn gives me a very good outcome after I refined them, failure for failure.

KiraFA37

Keep your tank save. I had it in the corner in the northwest with the radiator to the wall, because I too fell victim to the backcanon of the tank. Keep your troops hidden in the ruins in the south, the valkyria will run to the enemy tank and stay there, just don't get into her field of view and you'll be fine.
Yeah, the mission is pretty bad. If you know what's coming you can easily abuse it. If you don't, you're probably fucked, because no way to know what exactly happens and prepare for that.
I just had Alicia do the work. While I positioned my troops in the north and south, she took everything out, including the bunker, except the ace in the trench.
When does she take out the AT-bunker? I gave her 2 turns, she never did it.

Durante

So I spent a lot of time drawing high-res unit icons but can't get the game to actually load them. If anyone finds another texture with these icons in it which is not val_in_cmd_chip or DLC_0002_val_in_cmd_chip please let me know.

Here's the texture, I've only redrawn the unit icons and circles for now:

Weiss

Banned
You underestimate the Marmota's threat. She wasted her Valkyrur Lance just punching a hole into the Marmota, which is her strongest weapon outside of the Blue Flame, and even then it did not slow down the Marmota one bit. Once a Valkyrur loses her lance, she's just a regular human being that can regenerate quickly, and there was nothing left to stop it from ramming into the capital and stealing the Grand Valkyrur Lance that was capable of obliterating forests. The Team 7 was only capable of bringing it down thanks to Faldio weakening the Grand Lance's engines to stop it from firing correctly. Otherwise, Max pretty much had the war won the instant he had it in his disposal.

Except the only reason Squad 7 is able to even take down the Marmota is because Alicia weakened it. The game keeps framing Alicia's powers as wrong and destructive, yet Gallia only wins those battles because she uses them. You can't have it both ways.

KiraFA37

She attacked the AT-Canon and the bunker just exploded behind it. I guess she hit it with further shots I didn't see or it was a Michael Bay Ex Machina.

First thing I did when it is mine turn is taking out that AT-gun... and then she doesn't take out the bunker ofcourse.

Durante

Got it! Everything was perfectly fine on the game side, I was just apparently too stupid to work with alpha channels in PS.

screenshot_2014-11-15jzo38.jpg

(Note that I haven't redrawn the camp icons yet for comparison)

Chariot

First thing I did when it is mine turn is taking out that AT-gun... and then she doesn't take out the bunker ofcourse.
lol :D
Just figured "if she is doing the work, why should I.

Got it! Everything was perfectly fine on the game side, I was just apparently too stupid to work with alpha channels in PS.

Looks amazing! :)

I didn't have problems with Chapter 7, but the villain did claim the life of one of my engineers.

Hopefully I won't be punished with a bad ending. :p

McNum

Hm, no one knows if you can
stun Selvaria
in chapter 7?

...I did just reach that chapter,
and if I position the Edelweiss on the left side of the boss tank, it'll be relatively safe and she'll run right into gun range. If I can confirm her being stunnable it would make that chapter a bit easier.
You know what? I'll go for it. I mean, it's totally the right chapter to play recklessly in, anyway.

FOR SCIENCE!

Chariot

I didn't have problems with Chapter 7, but the villain did claim the life of one of my engineers.

Hopefully I won't be punished with a bad ending. :p
How can you accept the death of a comrade? Turn the time back and save his life!
Hm, no one knows if you can
stun Selvaria
in chapter 7?

...I did just reach that chapter,
and if I position the Edelweiss on the left side of the boss tank, it'll be relatively safe and she'll run right into gun range. If I can confirm her being stunnable it would make that chapter a bit easier.
You know what? I'll go for it. I mean, it's totally the right chapter to play recklessly in, anyway.

FOR SCIENCE!
Go Num!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
That's very strange. I got
Emile
without letting
Oscar
die - he just got downed.

Looking around more, it appears to be bad wording. Just need to have them downed and not killed after all.

Bleh, I think it would have been a lot more intriguing if they did have to die.

Damnit IGN, update your shit! ;)

Chariot

How dare you interfere with the timeline. This is war! Casualties are to be expected.

Accept the consequences of your actions.
And if I have to freeze Gallia in time.

That's very strange. I got
Emile
without letting
Oscar
die - he just got downed.
Mhm, I guess it's like that.
I read that Karl and Lynn marry after the war and she came to his help after she heard the he was in danger. So he have to survive. Guess they don't have to die. Lucky Karl, lucky Oscar.

Danj

Anyone got any tips (particularly about unit selection and positioning) for beating the B.. Bys.. Bysmarck... whatever the hell that
giant tank Maximilian drives
is called?

KiraFA37

So is it dying or letting them faint because if been looking into who this Emile lass is to complete my team. Also somebody got some spare 1.000.000 Ducats lying around
EDIT: has been answered.

Gotta fix those flag icons, they stick out against the sharpness of the other icons.

Chariot

Anyone got any tips (particularly about unit selection and positioning) for beating the B.. Bys.. Bysmarck... whatever the hell that
giant tank Maximilian drives
is called?
Well, we have different tactics in these thread. But my setup was Rosy and Alicia in trench in the lower camp. Both of them clean up the five soldiers in the east in the first turn. One lancer in the camp behind Edelweiss and two in the northern trench.

Target: Destroying the turrets around Batomy. When that's finished, draw them into the south ruins and destroy the walls. Keep in mind that the enemy reinforcement appears in the north east, so have no units visible in the path between that location and the southeast camp. Hide them in the ruins. Some people preferred snipers, but I took out all of the soldiers that came with Rosie from the ruins and used Alicia to drop grenades into the radiators and then pulled her back into the two wall building under the ruins. I personally placed the Edelweiss in the northwest corner, so the Batomy couldn't destroy her. Some people in this thread used her as shield against the Valkyre, though.

Ok, played 2 hours of this. My gaming time is so reduced it's not funny anymore... :(

Anyway, once I stopped worrying about the number of turns the game started to click with me. Whoever came out with the idea that the number of turns should be the sole ranking stat is an asshole. Maybe having all your units survive without being taken down or more varied goals for the max rank would've been better, ugh.

Coming up with my own tactics was much more engaging, like putting the Edelweiss in a sort of horizontal position in front of my waifu squad (oh, yeah, I managed to build my own waifu squad now <3 I can see why people rank Marina so high but I'm also liking Nancy :p) and started Moonwalking with the Edelweiss while using mortar to make everyone jump before sending Alicia into kamikaze mode. (What a gentleman you are, Welkin, hiding in your tank while the ladies do all the work!)

Love dem broken physics. Also, love my anti-tank Rambo squad comprised of the toughest asshats of the block.

Going back to Final Fantasy XIII pretty doll-faced people is going to be hard after this. May do it for Sazh though, I like him.

The music is freaking awesome. I'm going to Japan in January so please someone tell me this is in CD form so I can pick it up!!!

Top Bottom