• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who was the worst video game character of 2014?

Adaren

What? It's exactly the opposite, he's the submissive one. He sucks though, even if he's not as terrible as Cerezita.

Their relationship starts out with Bayonetta as the stronger figure, but it doesn't last.

Do you remember the scene that opens Chapter 5? Contrast Luka-Bayonetta's relationship and Loki-Bayonetta's. They're completely different, and Loki-Bayonetta's relationship doesn't work at all with her character or the tone set by the first game.

Other notable instances:
- Loki "saving" Bayonetta during the final boss, saving her from the Prophet at the Gates of Hell, and saving her from Lumen Sage 3.
- Bayonetta stuttering while trying to convince Loki to follow her into Inferno. Since when does Bayonetta stutter!?!
- Bayonetta blindly disregarding her own safety (and common sense) to try to save Loki from Loptr, causing Balder to have to step in and take a blow for her. Bayonetta cares about her friends, but she's also a master of combat, right? Why does her concern for Loki cause her to make stupid tactical maneuvers? She never made the same blunders when Cereza was being held captive by the villains.
- Near the ending, Bayonetta asking Loki when she'll see him again and him giving a coy answer. Shouldn't this be inverted? Contrast with the end of Bayonetta 1 and Luka-Bayonetta, again. Loki's chemistry with Bayonetta never comes close to Luka's near the end of Bayonetta 1. There's no reason for her to like him so much.
Loki single-handedly managed to dampen the "strong female protagonist" tone of Bayonetta 2, at least in the story cutscenes. It's an unbelievable misstep considering how amazingly the first game pulled it off.

tumblr_static_komaeda__19_.png

I am so glad that in Chapter 5
he kills himself accidently so I never have to hear him again.

I am so glad that in Chapter 5 he kills himself accidently so I never have to hear him again.

This spoiler doesn't really leave much to the imagination the way it's currently formatted

also all these hiro posts are physically sickening in a world where hifumi yamada exists

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
This spoiler doesn't really leave much to the imagination the way it's currently formatted

also all these hiro posts are physically sickening in a world where hifumi yamada exists

Hiyoko was wayyyy worse.

Every time she opened her mouth I wanted someone to slap her, hard.

Hiyoko was wayyyy worse.

Every time she opened her mouth I wanted someone to slap her, hard.
I always got that she is a teenaged brat. Did not really annoy me since she talking more than did anything.
Mikan actually killed 2 people to appease Junko, so she is much worse.

In the first game only Hifumi and Celeste were truly awful, but I liked Celeste's character enough to give her a pass.

Journal Seb is pretty good, too bad he isn't the same person you play in the game :(

Sebass has a problem where he's fucking bewildered at everything he's seeing and not trying to piece everything together. I'd settle for a plot dump, but the player doesn't even get that.

If Mikami and the writing stafff wanted us to experience everything in Sebass's eyes, then I wish he wasn't given as cool of a name.

Yasuhirohagakure.jpg

shutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutup

Oh shit, thats what happens when you release two games of the same series the same year. I totally thought he was from 2013.

He is the worst of a game where theres already a list of horrible characters. Nearly the majority of characters from the second game are amazing though.

tumblr_static_komaeda__19_.png

I am so glad that in Chapter 5
he kills himself accidently so I never have to hear him again.

Aaaaand fuck him!

man i don't know. he kinda grew on me.

this fucking guy though
tumblr_inline_n14fgxNRMQ1rgj7k1.png

can't stand him.

Second worst character from the second game. I give hime the Hagakure POS Award.

There are probably worse characters out there, but from the games I played
tumblr_static_angry.png

Chiaki Nanami, Danganronpa 2.

Nigh unbearable. I could not stand a single thing about her character.

Teddie in Persona Q is a close second though.

Ok wtf is this shit.
You have no fucking soul.
Not surpising you have the worst girl from Persona 4 in your avatar lol

Boogiepop

Been kind of said a bit already, but seriously, pretty much anything from Sonic Boom. They're all just so very, very terrible and poorly written.

MYeager

Sebastian from TEW by far.

Ajay from FarCry 4 is up there as well. I found him to be little more than a servant for The Golden Path.

I almost wrote that those two stoner guys in Far Cry 4 were the worst, but I'd go with Ajay as well. I love the game but the main character is poorly written with motivations that make no sense. He's killing tons of people all so that he might be told where to rest his mother's ashes? They made him an American who wasn't told anything about his father or country, somehow is better at fighting than the people who've been doing it for years, and they turn to him to make their decisions despite him not know shit about anything. Even the protagonist from Far Cry had somewhat understandable motivation and development (saving his friends/getting off the island/turning into a weapon), Ajay is this poorly defined blank slate in a situation that makes no sense for him to be in with the background they've provided.

The easter egg 'ending' made more sense than that of the main plot.

KDC720

I loved TEW but Sebastian wasnt exactly the most interesting guy.

Shoutout to Shadow of Mordor for letting you play as two characters at the same time, and making neither of them interesting.

DorkyMohr

Banned
Talion from Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor: Boring cookie-cutter protagonist who even in-game characters seemed to be simply putting up with his presence.

Sera from Dragon Age: Inquisition: I'm only a short ways into the game but they sure do front load this character with a bunch of unfunny attempts at humor and a "quirky" cockney dialect that's frustrating to parse.

My Own Dumb Self in Dragon Age: Inquisition: Again, early in this game, and not really "worst" but so far the game isn't giving me a ton of opportunities to make my character feel like it has it's own voice. A lot of stuff is hoisted on you and it's just making the character act put-upon.

HURRY UP, LOVE

Something that bugs me a lot in games is when you get into a slower segment where there are paths to explore, scenery to take in, and a partner with you that repels against what you want to do and just tries to rush you forward. So guess what Loki from Bayonetta 2 does, constantly. This motherfucker just hounds you to keep up every time you're with him(and even to slow down if you get too far ahead), and pretty much makes the plot revolve around him with his TRUMP CARD.

This a million times this. He was annoying and one reason I've not yet gone back to bayo 2.
Wank of a character, has no redeemable feature from the annoyance of his voice to him just being on my screen.

I hate him.

Also leave Alec Baldwin alone! Know your Baldwin's people!!!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea Tallion for me. His 'holier than thou' social interactions with every NPC irritated me constantly; the guy was a dumb blunt instrument with no redeeming elements other than the far superior wraith host giving him superpowers.

Sera from Dragon Age Inquisition.

An awful character in pretty much every way. My ears bleed when she speaks, and it isn't the cockney, I slip into that when I speak sometimes, it's that she just spouts shit.

Razzorn34

I'm surprised to see all of the Sera hate. Having her paired up with Iron Bull and Vivienne has given me some of the best lines so far. Much better than the ultra serious tone when having Cassandra, or Solas in party.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, it's Aiden Pierce. The most bland protagonist I've ever encountered.

Honorable mention to Yogi and Reggie from Far Cry 4. They don't help you at all and just drug you and leave you in a cave, sometimes naked, every time you run into them. I have no idea why Ajay let's them live after he had the chance to shoot them.

Just a completely shitty character. He was great in the beginning of the game, but gets immensely shitty right before
Delsin goes after the first conduit.
No continuity with his character. Starts off strict but fair, turns on a dime and acts like a douche for the vast majority of the game. Piece of garbage.

I was tempted to say Aiden, but I found him boring. He wasn't as bad as he was forgettable.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Did not like Agnes from BD one bit, couldn't stand the VA or how whiney she was. "Unacceptable" character, and its a shame she will be back in BD2.

Journal Seb is pretty good, too bad he isn't the same person you play in the game :(

Journal Sebastian is a terrible cliche (detective driven to alcoholism because he's just too focused on the job!) and in-game Sebastian is more or less no one at all.

Did not like Agnes from BD one bit, couldn't stand the VA or how whiney she was. "Unacceptable" character, and its a shame she will be back in BD2.
I was overall disappointed by the BD characters.
The gameplay is solid enough, but it is hard to get invested in the plot.
Even FFX had a better main cast.

I agree with Loki (what a disastrous British accent - the actor is a Korean guy from Michigan) and with all baby and duplicate MarioKart characters. Make the multiple Peaches and Marios costume choices, not individual beings that can all race against you at the same time.

Aiden Pearce, just awful from start to finish and definitely should have died at the end.

Also have to nominate Generic White Dude from Forza Horizon 2. I was really hoping that Playground would let us have some basic avatar customisation this time around, given that they intended for us to be the characters (Ralph Fulton's words). So to have the exact dude (or his twin) from the first game was a slap in the face and a blemish on an otherwise magnificent game.

Top Bottom