• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game 1: Pokémon Alpha Sapphire
8pZCrRs.jpg
Playtime: 19:17
Platform: 3DS

A decent remake. The length seems a bit short, and the same was for X/Y, but maybe I somehow just beat these games faster than I used to. Added improvements like the PokéNav Plus were good. The new Soaring in the sky was nice, too. I would've preferred for this to be based more on Emerald rather than Ruby/Sapphire. It is sad to see Game Freak didn't improve their battle engine, as the frame rate still drops a ton. The Elite 4 has the same special effects that take a ton of time up like in X/Y, so if it is like that when challenging them again, it will be a pain. Currently, I have only finished the Elite 4, which I consider to be the end of the main game.

Rating: 8/10

Game 2 - Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Playtime: 5:34
Platform: Wii U

An excellent expansion on the Captain Toad levels in Super Mario 3D World. The game uses an updated version of the 3D World engine, and it looks fantastic! Some of the levels were really creative, and the
last book
really stepped up the creativity and challenge. The game may have been a bit short, but this was just completing all the main levels. I also feel like any longer and it would have overstayed its welcome. I look forward to going back and getting 100%, and that is where the true challenge lies. I recommend this to any Wii U owner.

Game 3 - Punch-Out!!
Playtime: 2:58
Platform: Wii U

Next Level Games did a great job at reviving Punch-Out! I have only completed up to being champion, so the game only took 3 hours. I am sure Title Defense will take at least another three, probably more, because of the increased difficulty. The game is a great value at $10. The gameplay is addicting as it makes you want to perfect your strategy against an opponent, even if it takes an hour. The artstyle is unique, and the dialog is a little corny, but it all makes a good and complete package.

Game 4: Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Playtime: 7:48

The first Kirby game I have ever finished! I got all Sun Stones, but I didn't go for all the key chains. I played the majority of the game last night and today. I am not going to beat the other modes right now, as I am burned out. Either way, the game is pretty good. I didn't really like the last world with the repeated level themes and forcing you to fight the bosses again. Kirby is cute, as always. One of the only 3DS games where I always had the 3D on, except for tilt sections. I recommend this if you like platformers.

Rating: 7.5/10

Game 5: Rogue Legacy
Playtime: 14:14
Platform: PS4

I was waiting for this to go on sale, but it never did. But, then it was free for PS+! I expected the game to be really good, despite not knowing much about it, and it really is good! The game can be a bit grindy from trying to get cash to upgrade, but it is still fun. I beat this in around 4 sittings, so it is very addictive. The game must be played with a d-pad for proper control, and the down attack is hard to hit with, even with it automatically set to on. The game is pretty difficult, but you really just need to know the enemies' patterns. Music is decent, but there isn't much variety. A lot of content as there is a new game plus (which on my first try, is very hard), and I believe a NG++, too. A great roguelike for those that like action and platformers.

Rating: 8.5/10

Game 6: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
Playtime: 35:30

Finally finished Majora's Mask for the first time ever, and 100%! Furthest I have gotten before was trying to get into Snowhead on the Wii VC. This game is absolutely amazing. A lot of side-quests, emotions, action, and differences between other Zelda titles. The masks are a great feature, and the hub-world (Termina) feels alive. The improvements in this over what I have played on the N64 and Wii VC versions are amazing. The updated Bomber's notebook definitely helped me get 100%. There are some faults, though. I felt the swimming controls were bad, and the bosses were poorly designed (1st one was way too easy, 2nd one was annoying, 3rd was alright but could be annoying, and 4th was just tedious). The dungeons were decent, and even though there are only 4, the game still took over 30 hours to beat. The 3D was also nice, but I beat the game just before I got a New 3DS, so no 3D on gyro. Definitely get this game if you want to play one of the best games of all time, and one of the best Zelda games.

Rating: 9.5/10
---

Playing:
Fantasy Life
Hyrule Warriors
Bayonetta 1
The Last of Us
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Metroid Prime (Wii)
and a ton more...

Ted

tVoLhMt.jpg

Game Beaten #8 80 Days (Android) - 4 Hours
(Started/Finished 1/14/15)

This was a really interesting choose your own adventure game....
[cut for brevity]

Thanks for posting this, checked it out in the Play Store and think I may pick it up soon. The style looks really good and it sounds like you had fun.

Original Post - 3/52

Game three done and game four well on the way. It turns out not having a decent net connection though being a PITA has sort of been a blessing in disguise in the context of this thread!

That said, I picked up a couple more titles on the PS4 from the January sales that I'm going to download from work so despite playing through some old games, I am also adding to my lists of things to play!

One step forward and all that...

COMPLETED:

Game #3: Game Dev Story - Kairosoft
Format: Android
Completion State: Completed the main 20 year period of the game three times ending with a significant ($200+ million) cash reserve in two out of three play throughs.
Completion Date: 17/Jan/2015

A fun but ultimately unrewarding mobile game, after a couple of play throughs you have really seen it all. Pretty standard Kairosoft stuff, enjoyable enough for what it is. It could really be improved significantly in terms of replayability with some fairly minor functionality and stat tracking additions that really wouldn't confuse the user or dilute the core proposition.

NEARLY DONE:

Hitman: Contacts - IO Interactive
Format: PS3
Completion State: Professional mode completed, silent assasin rating on each level, now I'm just replaying a few levels to complete my weapon collection and to try a couple of different assasination methods.

Kifimbo

header.jpg

Game 4: Squirreltopia (PC) - 5 hours
Well, this one was a surprise. Squirreltopia is a 2D platformer where you control a squirrel. Could have been a human, a dog, or anything with at least two legs since all you do is walk, run and jump. You have to reach the end of 50 levels and beat 5 boss. This first few levels are simple, but the game quickly become quite hardcore. Never too hard, however. Great challenge. The main problems are the difficulty spikes, where one level is suddenly much harder the the previous and the next ones. On the flip side, boss are mostly easy. Controls feels bad at first, but they are actually decent after 30-60 minutes. You need to learn how to use the momentum of your squirrel. Level design is uneven, but generally quite good. In the end, I had a lot of fun. Biggest letdown is the 2D artsyle. Color palette is all over the place, and there is a clear lack of polish. Music didn't impress me.

Original post.

Sakwoff

Alright, let's (belatedly) get going.

List post

Game 1: THE DARKNESS II - 5 hours (PC)

My first real playthrough of the year. Mostly played flight simulators otherwise, and those are pretty much endless games. So yeah. I did not really like The Darkness II. Pretty much only stayed with it because I knew it was brief. In a weird way, playing the game felt a bit like it felt playing one of those third rate shooters in the 90s. Like Klingon Honor Guard or something. The one thing that it had going for it was that the shooting felt really good, at least initially. Other than that, everything was just kinda... bleh. The story and writing was extremely hokey in the style of "what adolescent boys probably find badass," the level design was linear and not very interesting in the style of "reach arena-like area, kill everyone, progress to next arena-like area, repeat..." Maybe I'm just over this kind of shooter.

Salvatron

Game 1. Dragon Age Inquisition: 40 hours - on hold

Game 2. The Talos Priniciple: 5 hours - on hold

Game 3: Dying Light - Campaign Complete - NG+ Ongoing
Waiting for more DLC to drop.

Game 4: Marvel Heroes 2015 - 33 hours - Campaign Complete - Ongoing
I think I've dropped about 35 bucks on it for me and my girlfriend to buy new characters/costumes. It's basically Diablo Marvel. The loot is interesting and diverse.

Game 5: Bloodborne - NG+ Ongoing
Grinding it out in the Chalice Dungeons.

Game 6: Xenonauts - In Progress

Smokey

What are you guys using to tell how long it took to complete a game? I know Steam has built in timer for all of the games. What about PS4 and X1?

What are you guys using to tell how long it took to complete a game? I know Steam has built in timer for all of the games. What about PS4 and X1?

Manually track time, read save games, guess. You don't really need to report the time unless you want to.

If you have Xbox 360/One, you can get MS to send you monthly statements with playtime per game and app (idk how, I get them rarely).

Manually track time, read save games, guess. You don't really need to report the time unless you want to.

If you have Xbox 360/One, you can get MS to send you monthly statements with playtime per game and app (idk how, I get them rarely).

I built my own webapp to help me track time. It's rickety enough that I'd never want to release it publicly in its current state (and besides I expect the market for an app that lets people record their times but only if they keep it up to date manually is rather small) but it works really well for me.

For this challenge, though, I don't think anyone really cares how you do it or if you do it. Throw a ballpark estimate in there if you want, no one's really keeping track!

BraXzy

Guestimating on most unfortunately. I really wish there were in depth tracking on the X1 and PS4 like there is on the Wii U / Steam. I might make a thread about it because it's been bugging me for awhile :3

Original post

OmxMdpJl.jpg

5. Infamous: First Light (PS4)
Story mode completed. 79% game completion.
I never played Festival of Blood (though it sits on my PS3, vying for attention along with all the other random PSN games I haven't yet played), so I didn't really know what to expect from an Infamous standalone expansion. The separate self-contained campaign and the focus on Fetch, one of Infamous's best characters, appealed to me; Sony making the title a PS+ freebie for this month sealed the deal.

It's pretty much everything I wanted out of an Infamous expansion: a significant story that doesn't outstay its welcome, plenty of bite-sized side missions that also don't overstay their welcome, and more backstory for Fetch. Plus I got to roam around Seattle again with the best power set from Second Son, but with new additions to the arsenal. Even the Curdun Cay arenas were fun in their own way, though score attack scenarios aren't usually my thing. I kind of wish Sucker Punch didn't lock up a bunch of the power upgrades until after story mode is completed, mostly because they would've been fun to play with, but I assume that's extra incentive to go through all the arenas at least once.

In all, First Light was a short and sweet experience that's worth the $15 if you squeeze every bit of gameplay out of it, and is a no-brainer download if you have PlayStation Plus. Really looking forward to what Sucker Punch has in store for the franchise. They've really turned Infamous around this generation.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Original post.

headerhwjsy.jpg

Game #2: Beyond Gravity on PC. All achievements completed, full sense of having seen everything it offers game play, and no desire to play it any longer.

It is a key example of a time waster game. Something to do that takes little concentration, simple to use controls, a small sense of progression as you take on the now standard "three mission" set up and acquire power ups, and a art style that won't take you out of the moment. For what it is, for what it was designed to be, for how it provided something to do as I or my girlfriend waited on something or each other while still providing some small sense of enjoyment, I call it a competent game. Something to do that was quick and easy to load up and to play between other games or other things that required more attention to them. Something my girlfriend may keep playing as she listens to a lecture or podcast.

Now as a title that is simply collecting currency in game, auto-platforming with you only controlling when to jump off the planetoid onto the next, and completing a series of missions (e.g. jump ten times in game or collect 5000 screws), it is hardly unique and does nothing to stand out amongst any of the many others that exist. At the same time, it is not loud, it is not grating, it is not unfair in how much currency can be amassed in each game session, and it never pretends to be more than it is unlike quite a few of the worst in this sub-genre.

Original Post

Naiee-Naia.jpg

Completed: 4 hours @ 1/17/15
Thoughts:
What a beautiful game. The way the background and scenery is presented, goddamn. Especially towards the end. The puzzles are on the easy side, which I didn't mind since I prefer to be immersed than frustrated. Only hard part about this game is that the controls can get finicky, but that's part of the appeal since you're controlling two people at once. And that ending. Very poignant. I don't want to spoil anything though since it's a short game and one of those that must be experienced from start to finish.

Ongoing Games:
Fate/Extra - New Game+ Archer/Rin route
Freedom Wars - Storyline only
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel - Storyline Co-op only

LGom09

Full list

header.jpg

#4. Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death (PC) -- January 17 -- 5:00:00 -- ★★★☆☆
Stupid and derivative, but it doesn't take itself seriously. The banter between Marlow and the mask is pretty funny and the gameplay is fairly enjoyable provided you turn off your brain first. I find it kind of hard to hate on this game. Except for the credits sequence. Fuck you, credits sequence.

Jame Retief

Neo Member
Update...

Game 02: Steamworld Dig Completed 1-17-15

Cute and fun metroidvania-ish type game. Simple and cohesive mechanics with addictive gameplay. Despite the repetitive nature of being practically forced to return to the starting point every few minutes, the progress almost never feels grindy. The travel nodes are spaced out well and, unless you are having trouble finding the next one, it will keep you exploring. The game designers did very well at pacing the game's variety of atmosphere and character progression. Upgrades are also well balanced as you never feel overpowered or overgeared for the challenges ahead of you. Everything just comes together as a cohesive whole.

About the only negative thing I could say about it is the rather limited interaction with the inhabitants of the town. Incorporating them into the storyline a bit would have helped flesh them out more. Perhaps in a sequel. Steamworld Dig is definitely a game I would highly recommend. It doesn't overstay it's welcome and is highly enjoyable from start to finish.

Jame Retief

Neo Member
Finished games:
Nothing yet!

On-going games:

Puzzle Quest (PC)
So, this thing have a end? I'm 20 hours in, and I still feel far away from the end...

Unless you really focused on pushing through and skipping some things you won't need (i.e. researching spells you will never use, upgrading mounts you won't use, capturing more than a few cities, etc., etc.) you are probably only about a third of the way into the game. I was about 45 hours in when I started being more focused and still took about 60 hours to complete (without the available expansion that you can add in).

I will play it again someday, but I will definitely have specific progression goals in mind when I do.

Dryk

Update!

Game #6: Bayonetta: 16 hours
bayonetta-logo-03-black.png

Combat system is very deep and fun once you get your head around it, which admittedly takes a lot of time. The music is great, the enemy design is great, the final boss is awesome BUT. You really have to get used to the idea of dying your way all the way down to stone awards every level though because this game wants you dead and isn't afraid to play dirty. Instant death QTEs will show up no warning and leave just as fast, enemies will start attacking you in cutscenes necessitating you to mash dodge when you think they're about and will pull new attacks out of their butts with no warning but eventually you learn how to deal with it (next time you play the level). This wouldn't've bothered me as much (I thought W101 was great) if it wasn't for the shoddy as hell checkpoint placement, usually stuck before an admittedly skippable cutscene or some other tedious task. At one point I was fighting a really hard boss and had to break a series of propellers everytime I died for no good reason.

So yeah, mixed feelings about Bayo 1. It's one of P*'s older games and it shows, but the combat and setpieces are still great.

Original post

1hwpITKl.png

6. Call of Duty: Ghosts (XB1)
Single-player campaign completed on Normal.
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was a very good shooter in its own right, setting the template for modern multiplayer shooter games. But Call of Duty had, up to that point, been known best as a single-player experience. The first Call of Duty had you relive a Soviet river crossing during the Battle of Stalingrad, giving video games its Saving Private Ryan moment. Subsequent games had similarly cinematic moments--Call of Duty has had you mount a war-ending assault on the Reichstag not once but twice. But the first Call of Duty set in the modern era gave us something unexpected: it killed off the protagonist with a nuclear warhead, and made you watch helplessly.

Activision has been trying to one-up itself ever since, most notably with Modern Warfare 2's "No Russian" mission. But somewhere along the way, Call of Duty lost its ability to shock, even as its scenarios descended further into "America under siege" neocon nightmares. Ghosts feels like a retread of former glories, the same theme park thrill ride with the same shooting galleries, the same ridiculous cinematic button prompts ("Push LT to drag body"), the same improbable escapes from huge explosions.

It's not that Ghosts is a bad Call of Duty game, exactly (though critical and popular reaction has been particularly unkind). It's that the Call of Duty formula feels really played out here, at least in campaign mode. Sure, there's a dog now, but for the most part Riley is indistinguishable from the drones, tanks and AC-130s you occasionally take control of throughout the franchise. Oh, and you have to carry Riley to safety in one of the more annoying missions in a Call of Duty game.

Seven games into Call of Duty's modern-day run of yearly updates, I still couldn't tell you why you should pick up Gun X versus Gun Y off the many dead soldiers you come across. Oh, this one has a holographic sight? Sure. That one kind of looks like a machine gun so it'll take forever to reload, I guess. That's it. It's easy to get bored after a while, especially in light of games like Wolfenstein: The New Order (or going back further, Bioshock or Half-Life 2 or even the Metro series) that don't just throw you on a non-stop rollercoaster and pop up paper targets along the way.

I bought Ghosts on a whim for ten bucks. It was worth about that for the campaign. Ask me again in six months, though, and I doubt I'll be able to tell you anything about what happened in it. I can feel the memories slipping away already. I wonder if I'll even bother buying Advanced Warfare.

GLuigi

Game #3: The Walking Dead (PC) - 17 Hours
I already played this game last year on the Vita , but the stuttering on the Vita version annoyed me enough to just hop on over to the PC version. For this playthrough, I decided to make a few different decisions such as:
Saving Doug, which I actually enjoyed a lot more than having Carly around. Saving Ben at the end of Episode 4, which im actually happy that it resulted in Ben and Kenny finally talking it out. Also I decided to let Clementine decide on her own on what to do with Lee at the end of the game since i was curious to see what she would do.
Anyways the connecting problems that the PC version has actually annoyed me more than the stuttering on the Vita. Since I already have Season 2 on PC, I might as well tough it out. Anyways, here's hoping that Season 2 will be just as good!

Original Post

Caramello

Just a quick update!

I have been able to complete 2/52 games so far this year. I recently spent a week and a half away so I wasn't able to play but I've gotten started on my next few titles and I hope to finish them all by the end of January.

I'm currently playing:

Game 3: Kirby & The AMAZING MIRROR - 1:10
*Not complete*

Game 4: Luigi's Mansion 2 - 1:03
*Not complete*

Game 5: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - 1:57
*Not Complete*

Game 6: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 0:49
*Not complete*

Kier

Neo Member
Reserving a spot.

I've not completed 10 games in a year so this will be interesting.

Currently playing through Gears of War 2 on hardcore and think i'm near the end. It took me 6 years to complete Gears of War because I couldn't beat Raam on my first play-through.

Doing a bit better with this one so far

Lemstar

3: Infamous: First Light (PS4) - 3h (01/16/15 - 01/16/15)

Wouldn't have paid $15 for it, but it's quite alright as far as standalone side stories go. Having only one set of powers gets away from the redundancy that was kind of annoying in Second Son, and it was short enough to not get old. The post-game bonus powers were quite cool, too.

Plot was nothing to write home about, but that's never exactly been a strength of the series.

Benedict

Updated original post with these games:

1. The Room 2 (iOS)
4-5 hours to beat I guess? Finished January 3rd
# Wonderful game and looking forward to the next one when it's released and on sale.
Puzzle-rooms might have been a bit too different in context from each other. I guess it's not the story you are after, but the puzzles.

2.The Year Walk (PC)
1 hr 40 minutes. Finished January 6th.
As a Swede who works as an archaeologist and have read Ethnology in university I was looking forward to this "game" since I know of all this folklore.
It was a nice experience but more of a presentation than a game for me. Not what I was expected, a bit let down.
Not sure if I have seen the "true" ending, but I have played enough of this game. Hope to see more of Swedish/nordic folklore in games.

3. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc. PS Vita
About 40 hrs? Finished January 7th. Platinum
It's a good game but not worth the praise a lot of people are giving it, according to me.
Played with japanese audio, listened short to english audio but I did not like it at all.
Some nitpicks:
* The main characer is very short compared to the NPCs, AKA crotch cam.
When you move up to other characters you are about the same height as their... crotches.
No big deal, but annoying and could be easily fixed.

* Controls are not good.
* Logic in how people think and where they can go in the game is very flawed. The main character and other NPCs refuse to check certain areas because of stupid game-logic reasons.
* Presentation on how the trials work are poor and required me to go online and check how to do it, only to find out several other people complaining about the same issue.

Still like the game though, but not as much as I thought I would. I preferred Virtues Last Reward over Danganronpa.

4. The Fall (PC)
4 hours, Finished January 16th
Big surprise that I started playing after hearing about it on Giant Bombcast. Wonderful atmospheric platform puzzler. Looking forward to the next part.

5. Xcom Enemy Within (iOS)
20-30 hrs? Finished January 17th
Played through on normal on iPad Mini 2. Game was really hard in the beginning, but end-game was very easy.
Good game but I thought the controls would be better. Main problem with controls are when you have several levels ofh height to swich between.
Also quite easy to accidentally throw grenades etc at the wrong place (mostly where you are standing) unless you are carefull with how you press the screen.
Graphic-wise it's nothing spectacular but works.

6. The Walking Dead season 1. (PC)
18 hrs, including idling for cards. Finished January 18th
Finally made it through this game. It's been an experience. Maybe did not make all the choices I should have, but I have no regrets. And I understand why you should only play through this game once. Still a lot of questions unanswered, what if I did that, why did I do that, who should I save... Feelings.
Looking forward to 400 days and season 2.

7. Valiant Hearts: The Great War (PC)
Not sure how long this took me. Steam says 14 hours, but some of that is idling card and a lot of pausing the game. Finished January 18th.
One of the most important games of 2014 with a wonderful story, beatiful art and even better music. Would love to collect all the collectibles but I feel that doing that would lessen the game. So I won't.
Something everybody should experience.

8. Hexcells (PC)
Started January 18th, finished January 20th. 4 hrs.
Yes, it's great. Yes I want more. When your brain finally understands, it turns out to be a fantastic logic puzzle-game.

Jame Retief

Neo Member
Update...

Game 03: Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP Completed 1-18-15

I have to say, not really impressed with this one. For all the praises this game has received, I found it lacking.

The visuals are uninspiring and very limited in scope and variety, especially for a retro 8 bit styled exploratory puzzler.

The audio (specifically the OST) is the best part of the game, but that's not really saying a whole lot as there is nothing particularly memorable about the music other than it being an experiment in "indie" modishness. Some of the puzzle elements use audio clues but it's been used to better effect in other games.

Gameplay design is quite shallow and simplistic with the puzzle elements and the combat sequences being both derivative and repetitive even for an iPhone port. Technically speaking, the (mercifully few) combat sequences are themselves just simpler puzzle elements that could have easily been replaced with other puzzle elements. Although that would have likely only been a lateral move as none of the existing puzzles are clever or intriguing. I guess the developers felt obligated to include combat in the game since they used the word "Sword" in the title, but frankly, the game would not have suffered with it's removal. All together there may be a total of 30 minutes of actual gameplay, with the vast majority of the in game time being spent trying to (slowly) travel across the game screens.

And, finally, the story. It would have been possible to have all of the flaws above and still been a decent to good game if the story had been worth it. Unfortunately, much like the other aspects, the story is just middling at best. It tries to be clever with it's trite use of metaphysical philosophy, but ultimately it seems like the writers just watched "The Matrix" movies a few too many times and read a cliff notes version of a community college philosophy book.

I would recommend passing on this one.

TP17

Completed my first game of 2015...

1. Fire Emblem Awakening - 3DS
Completed 18/01/2015
My first Fire Emblem game and it won't be my last. I played through the game on classic/normal however I did reset whenever a character died. By the end of the game it had become quite easy but for the most part it was a decent challenge for a beginner to the series - if I was to play through again or a different fire emblem entry though I'd stay true to the classic mode and not reset after each death. The support conversations were fun, helped by the entertaining cast of characters.
I married Tharja.
I'd definitely recommend this game to anyone considering it.

Original Post

Update

Game #3
Just completed the main game of Super Mario 3D Land. When I say "completed" I mean every coin and every gold flag in the main levels. I haven't started the post game yet because I feel a little burned out on Mario at the moment. I was never big on using 3D but found myself switching it on during the course of my playtime. Fun game and sometime down the line I'll work on the post game.

Ted

I chuckled at Crotch Cam™ above. : )

Original post

Game #4: Hitman: Contacts - IO Interactive
Format: PS3
Completion State: All levels complete at professional difficulty with a silent assassin rating, all weapons collected, 100% trophy completion.
Completion Date: 18/Jan/2015

Another classic Hitman game. Visually a significant step forward from Hitman 2 and the complexity of the level designs is the same. More great missions and a whole heap of ways to complete them, what more can you ask for from a Hitman game?

Now I'm onto the final part of the Hitman HD collection, Blood Money. No signs of being sick of Agent 47 quite yet.

CBTech

Update

Game 2: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 12/26-1/17
Completed everything except Mummy Me Maze Forever. Really enjoyed this game. Everything was light, fun, and challenging when needed.

Game 3: Spelunky - 12/27-1/18

I never beat Ulmec (though I did get to him). If I put a little more effort into this game I'm sure I could beat it, but I've lost interest so I'm calling this done. Overall a very good game. It kept me hooked for awhile, but I can only play these games so long before I burn out.

maxcriden

Update

Game #3

Just completed the main game of Super Mario 3D Land. When I say "completed" I mean every coin and every gold flag in the main levels. I haven't started the post game yet because I feel a little burned out on Mario at the moment. I was never big on using 3D but found myself switching it on during the course of my playtime. Fun game and sometime down the line I'll work on the post game.

Nice work HG! I still have to do the golden flagpoles. FWIW I think 3DW is significantly better than 3DL, although I really did enjoy my time with this game. I'll also mention that the postgame content, when you do get back to it, is pretty extensive and terrific, well worth your time :)

Zeranium

Two more games down!

61uGsNb.jpg

Game 4.) Plants vs Zombies (PSN)
Finished on 1/13 - Adventure Mode
Well, this one's been sitting in my backlog for a while.
Kind of ashamed it took me this long to sit down and finish it. Not much to say or explain but I loved it. Hours felt like minutes while I was playing it, and the music video by Laura Shigihara was cute

dh5eAbX.jpg

Game 5.) The Legend of Korra (PSN)
Finished on 1/15, Platinum Trophy on 1/17
I thought the game was fun consider the development time and budget. It was short and a number of repeating enemies and bosses. Still I felt it had that PG charm and enjoyed the combat, I couldn't help but feel like it was a slice of a bigger game, though. Ended up Plat'ing it a couple days later (which was pretty manageable.)

Original Post

Original post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145879561&postcount=485

Update 2: Ace Attorney: Dual Destines
I played just the
cases that are the base package. I don't own the DLC and if I do play it I'll put it into a category of "doesn't count as a new game but counts because reasons" section. So what did I think of it? It felt like it was going through the motions for the most part. It had a few nice surprises. I also found myself confused in how it
did nothing to advance any of the plot thread Apollo Justice introduced, although I'm told that is down to this game being from a different writer
. I did like that the polygon graphics were really well done, the animations are true to the spritework and it avoids the awkward look Phoenix Wright and co suffered in previous attempts (e.g. Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney).

jiggles

Banned
Original Post

Game 8: Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
professeur_layton_vs_0ifcz.jpg

For the most part, I thought this was pretty great. Presentation was predictably flawless from Level 5, and the crossover plot was a lot of fun. Even their spin on trials (multiple-witness testimonies) was excellent, and hint coins in trials were a godsend for working out when the game wanted you to realise something you actually realised ages ago. But there were too many times the game introduced throwaway mechanics that you never saw again. And, my god, Level 5 have absolutely no idea how to end a game. It's always this long, drawn-out ordeal where you think things are about to wrap up, but you just get beaten into boredom by needless padding. And it didn't help that it was barely interactive. I only had to do like 6 things in the last 4 hours of the game. "You know, Professor, I feel like I've just finished reading a reeeeally long story." You and me both, Luke.
If you liked Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton, you will like this (duh)

250px-Mother_boxart.png

Game #4: Mother 1/18/15(8 hours)
I've had this game for years because I was a huge fan of the series and have gone through Earthbound and Mother 3 multiple times now, yet never played the 1st before now. This was honestly hard to play with how most nes games haven't aged very well. The story was very light and the size of the world was huge and it took forever to get anywhere, especially since it seemed beyond me when it came to opening the map, if there even was one. My opinion of it may have been different years ago, but I just found it really hard to get into compared to it's sequels. I will give it one thing though, several of the music tracks were memorable and having previous knowledge of game and it's lore beforehand, the final boss was actually kinda sad when you know that he's defeated by
love

Original post

Dr. Buni

Original Post

Game #8: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

3FFERd7.png

Great game. I prefer the Zero Escape series when it comes to visual novels, but Ace Attorney is definitely great, especially considering it is a game released in the year of 2001. Admittedly, I am not too fond of the investigation sections of the game, but the trials sections are so good. The soundtrack is also great and fits the game very well. If only it wasn't so damn repetitive... The characters are probably the best part. Well, at least the main ones. Phoenix, Maya, Miles and Mia. I like them all. Anyways, I am going to give the second game a try very soon, hopefully Capcom made some improvements in the sequel.

Def Jukie

Original Post

Game 2: Suikoden (Playstation) - 28 Hours 1/10/15-1/17/15

suikoden_1.jpg

This is a game that I finished when it was originally released but did not get all the characters and I had long forgotten most of the details of the game. Well, I went through the game again and this time got all the characters. This ended up being a longer game than I thought it would be mainly due to spending so much time searching for characters. I looked up where to find the last 5 or 6 (one of which I probably never would have found) as it becomes really tedious to revisit areas where they may or may not be. The game holds up alright, it's a pretty basic RPG but building an army in your castle does make it fairly unique and I found it quite addicting trying to find all the recruits. The big battles are also pretty cool even if they are really easy. The game is a bit uglier than I remember it being (it looks like a SNES game) but the music is pretty great overall. I had fun going through this game again and plan on playing the second game when I can find it for a somewhat reasonable price as I hear it is much better than the first. Solid start to the series.

Currently playing: Resident Evil: Director's Cut (Playstation) - 1/17/15

Hikami

Original Post

87b1f6e872.jpg

Game 10: Rune Factory 4
Playtime: 30:05
Started: June 17th, 2014
Completed: January 16th, 2015
// The game started out pretty fun but I found it boring after a while.. The game has apparently 3 arcs or something? I only beat the first arc and saw credits roll so that was enough for me, don't think the game can hold my interest much longer.
--
c76cd70d4b.jpg

Game 11: Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikū Daibōken
Playtime: 5:47
Started: January 12th, 2015
Completed: January 17th, 2015
// This one has a much better track list (in my opinion) than the first 3DS game. Though the story mode I didn't find as interesting.
--
b28c7c6abf.jpg

Game 12: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Playtime: 13:33
Started: January 13th, 2015
Completed: January 18th, 2015
// I played this back on DS years ago but I could never get past the second case so I never finished it. I skipped all the way to Dual Destinies last year and finished that one, I just needed more though. Got the Ace Attorney trilogy now and the game just looks amazing visually. Excited to play the rest of them.
--
I'm no longer on vacation starting tomorrow so my gaming time will be shortened quite a bit. Probably won't finish any more games this month besides Ys II since it's pretty short.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

GAME #4: 80 Days (2014)
Rating: ★★★★ ; Platform: iOS ; Developer: inkle
Review: One of the best games of last year that didn't make my top 10 due to playing after new year's eve. Fantastic game that's the perfect companion when you're travelling. Some minor interface complaints but that would be about it. Charming and every new course is a new story. Cool concept that's delivered upon.

Wensih

Original Post

87b1f6e872.jpg

Game 10: Rune Factory 4
Playtime: 30:05
Started: June 17th, 2014
Completed: January 16th, 2015
// The game started out pretty fun but I found it boring after a while.. The game has apparently 3 arcs or something? I only beat the first arc and saw credits roll so that was enough for me, don't think the game can hold my interest much longer.
--

That's probably for the best. My girlfriend has been playing the game for 133 hours and still hasn't hit the 3rd arc.

Jame Retief

Neo Member
Update...

Game 04: Lume Completed 1-18-15

I expected this to be a short game, but not nearly as short as it was. I finished what I thought was a tutorial-ish beginning only to realize that was the entirety of the game.

That is very unfortunate as the content that is included is great. The art style is wonderful and the puzzles are great to piece together. There is great potential here and I see there is a sequel now (Lumino City) that continues the story.

Would I recommend this game? Yes, but only if you can pick it up in a bundle of other games you already want. If I were the developers, I would include this game as the intro of the sequel or bundle it for free. As it is, it basically functions as a proof of concept.

Game 05: Dear Esther Completed 1-19-15

While some might not consider this a game, I found it to be a great atmospheric experience. The self pacing exploration (though linear in execution) while piecing together the story works beautifully in a game engine medium. Though short at about 2 hours it was actually longer than I expected it to be, which was great as it never overstayed it's welcome.

Visually it is just a wonderful presentation. When I started, I was expecting a rather pedestrian (forgive the pun) experience and the first area kind of reinforced that impression. However, the successive environmental variety that was implemented for such a short game was impressive, most notably in the cavern system with something new to behold around every bend.

The music and narration reinforce the sense of isolation and looming despair without affection to too much pretentiousness; though the overreliance on a particular metaphor did weigh a little too heavily at times.

I would definitely recommend playing this through when you have a few hours to spare.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Main Post

untitled-1t1ebe.jpg

Game 3: New Super Mario Bros. 2. Beat all the worlds, collected all the coins, played as Luigi for a bit.

A very safe, a very basic, a very easy and simple Super Mario Bros platformer whose only risk is the idea of "collect more coins" without actually being anything of real note or importance and I can not say I enjoyed it at all. By no means a bad New Super Mario Bros. title, the "accessible to everyone" formula skewed toward those who want to be able to get through all the levels without any issue with some hidden paths and coins to try and appease long term players, but not one for me who prefers platforming challenge and a sense of improvement in learning skill through the course of a platformer.

While it's colourful, imaginative in it's art design for the different stages, there is a Tesco Value Brand of the Super Mario line that decided to add a new shiny label to make it seem fresh and exciting, when really it's the same cheap brand. Enough to somewhat appease a taste for something, but too watered down to ever truly satisfy what I actually wanted when I asked for it. An okay game that I could play through on my bus ride and I got all the hidden coins my first time through each stage, but I never felt challenged nor inspired to ever actually repeat a stage because there was simply no need and a coin gimmick that was neither fun nor rewarding means I will never touch it again.

Bumhead

Banned
Original post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145201897&postcount=202

Game #3: Hotline Miami
Platform: PS4 - Beaten: 16th January
Completion: Completed story
Rating: ★★★★★

Not the first time I've completed this (but still counts here, right?) but it's one of my favourite games of all time. I just absolutely adore the gameplay and the soundtrack is God-tier. In all liklihood I'll probably play through and finish this another 2 or 3 times this year.

Its time for my ULTIMATE STAT TRACKING ULTIMATE SUPER DUPER UPDATE!

4: 2015 52 Games

Updated my post: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=144699142

Backlogged Games
PT = Playthrough. So If something says  1PT it means its my first time ever playing it, 2PT then that means its my second time playing and beating the game. So on and so forth.
(lol) Means I am atleast 95% sure I'll never beat that game.
BOLDED STUFF IS NEW ADDITIONS SINCE LAST UPDATE:

Games Beaten:
1: Ikachan (3DS) (1PT)
Started playing Thursday January 1st 2015 12:38 AM
Finished playing Thursday January 1st 2015 2:57 PM
Play Time: 1:21
A short but very fun game. It ma be short, but its full on gameplay and its worth it if you can get it on sale for $2-$3 like I did.

2: Yoshi's Island (3DS/GBA) (3PT) (100%)
Started playing Friday December 16th 2011
Finished playing Sunday January 4th 2015 1:38 AM
Total Play Time: 22:49
Play Time in 2015: 6:04
Play Time in 2014: 10:26
Play Time in 2013: 2:07
Play Time in 2012 & 2011: Not in Top 30 so unavailable. :(
Yoshi's Island was my favorite game when  was young and ts still one of my favorites. Going back to its charming world with the best graphics style a2D platformer can have was great. I always 100% this game but never the secret/extra levels. Those levels and a few of the base levels pushed at my insanity and lessened the fun haha. When I replay it I gotta cut those extra levels out. I also guess that I died 285 times if thats what itmeant at the end. O_O *ahem* Now I must 100% Yoshi's New Island and Yoshi's Wooly World this year...oh noes.

3: Xeodrifter (3DS) (1PT)
Started playing Thursday December 18th 2014 8:34 PM
Finished playing Saturday December 20th 2014 5:37 PM
Started 100% playthough on Tuesday January 13th 2015 7:01 PM
Finished collecing all but one thing on Wednesday January 14th 2015 5:03 PM
Playtime: 2:31 - 100% Playtime: 3:41
Playtime for 100%/Playtime for 2015:1:10
Really great Metroidvania. A bit too short for its price, but I loved the fact that it was so short since it prevented me from getting lost unlike most Metroidvanias...

4: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (WiiU) (2PT)
Started Friday October 4th 2013 12:08 PM
Finished playing Thursday January 15th 2015 8:33 PM
Play Time: 24:58
Play Time in 2015: 11:31
Loved this when I first played it in 2003. Dunno why it took me so long on the replay, lots of little parts that just made me want to quit but overall I enjoyed it alot!

List of ALL games per system. The bottom of each list as as follows:
Currently Playing is most recently started. (Without a date is not in order.)
Games I Want To Replay is most recently added.
Games I Own is most recently bought. (Without a date is not in order.)
Games I want to buy is most recently thought about buying. Will probably miss out on alot of those.

3DS:
Currently Playing:

1: Shin Megami Tensei IV - (30 Hours) Trying to get Jirae thing to start.
2: Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (GBA) - Chapter 11
3: Mario & Luigi 4 - (17 Hours) Halfway through.
4: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (45 Hours) Day 4
5: Fire Emblem: Awakening Normal/Classic/No Grinding (lol)
7: Metroid Fusion (GBA)
8: 100% Yoshi's Island (GBA) (3PT) - 100% as of 01/04/15!
9: 100% Xeodrifter Beaten last year. Tried to 100% this year and got all but one collectable. Consider it complete.
10: Mario Golf: World Tour All Coins (lol)
11: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (lol) (Did all 2 Star Quests)
12: Super Smash Bros. 4 - Will count if I complete all challenges.
Want to replay this year:
1: Super Mario 3D Land (5PT)
2: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2PT) (1PT Hero Mode)
3: Super Mario Land (GB) (2PT)
4: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GB) (3PT)
5: 999 (DS) (2PT)
6: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA) (2PT)

Own. Not Started:
1: Steamworld Dig
2: 1,001 Spikes
3: Starship Damrey
4: Attack of the Friday Monsters
5: 100% Skylanders Swap Force
6: Escape Vektor
7: Burger Time Deluxe
8: Mario Golf GBC
9: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
10: Bomb Monkey (Can't Be Beaten)
11: Ikachan - Started and Beaten on 01/01/15
12: Kerploosh
13: Bike Rider DX (Can't Be Beaten)
14: Mario Kart GBA (Meh)
15: Woah Dave (Can't Be Beaten...I think?)
16: Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters - Found out it was on at like 2AM on 01/18/15 on CN then registered a ton of games and finally had enough before the deadline. So now I own this.
Want to buy this year:
1: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
2: Code Name S.T.E.A.M.
3: Xenoblade (Who knows when I'll get a new 3DS tho)
4: Entrian Oddyssy IV
5: Fantasy Life
6: Wario Land III (GBC)
7: Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
8: Resident Evil Revelations (After I get new 3DS)

PSV:
Currently Playing:

1: 100% Dangan Ronpa 2
2: 100% Dangan Ronpa
3: 100% Tearaway
4: 100% Gravity Rush
5: Rayman Origins (Like, only at world 3. Not far after a couple years.)
6: Corpse Party (PSP) - Beaten on 12/31/14, so doesn't count. :/. (Started 12/27/14. I was really into it!)
7: Persona 4: Golden - Started on 01/09/15, 39 Hours In.

Want to replay this year:
1: Virtue's Last Reward (2PT) (1PT Was on 3DS. Will go for Platinum.)

Own. Not Started:
1: Persona 4 Golden - Started on 01/09/15
2: Sweet Fuse (PSP)
3: Need for Speed
4: Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (PSP)
5: The Walking Dead: 400 Days
6: Patapon (PSP) - Just realized Patapon thru FFIV I own and wasn't thru PS+! :O
7: Final Fantasy IX (PS1)
8: Patchwork Heroes (PSP)
9: Final Fantasy IV/The After Years (IV would be a replay, TAY new.)
10: Neptunia Rebirth 1 - Bought, waiting for amazon to get stock and ship it. Delivery Estimate is in March! D:
11: Medieval - Bought on 01/16/15 during the PS Anniversary sale. Had enough money for a $3 game and choose this! :D

Want to buy this year:
1: PS+ FFS
2: Dangan Ronpa: Another Episode
3: The Walking Dead: Season Two
4: The Wolf Among Us
5: Neptunia Rebirth 1 - Bought from amazon on 01/16/15
6: Neptunita Rebirth 2
7: Bastion
8: Severed
9: Shovel Knight 100% (Replay, going for trophies.)
10: Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
11: Neptunia: Noire Game
12: The Firefly Diaries
13: Persona 4: Dancing All Night

WiiU:
Currently Playing:

1: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD - BEATEN ON 01/15/15!
2: Earthbound (SNES) (Most likely not 2015) - Three Melodies In.
3: Edge (lol)
4: Bit.trip Runner 2 (lol)
5: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) (1PT) - At First Dark Dungeon.
Own. Not Started:
1: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - Started on 01/16/15
2: Castlevania (NES)
3: Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES) (100%)
4: Mega Man X (SNES) - Forgot about this.
Want to buy this year:
1: Zelda U
2: Yoshi's Wooly World
3: Splatoon
4: Hyrule Warriors
5: A Castlevania GBA Game
6: Mega Man 4 (NES)
7: Mega Man 5 (NES)
8: Mega Man 6 (NES)
9: Mega Man: Battle Network (GBA)
10: Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
11: Pandora's Tower or Sin & Punishment 2 (Wii) - Whichever releases first on WiiU in NA.

PS4:
Currently Playing

1: Watch Dogs - On hold until I can hook up my tv. Playing with remote play is terrible.
2: Infamous: Second Son - 19% Done.
3: Skylanders Swap Force - 3/? Levels 100%ed
Own. Not Started:
Nothing.
Want to buy this year:
1: No Man's Sky
2: Metal Gear Solid V
3: Until Dawn
4: Persona 5 - After playing P4G I really want this but don't know if I want to deal with a game like this on a home console since it'll be terrible.

Next Games I Plan To Beat Next:
1: Persona 4: Golden (PSV) - Started on 01/09/15 and am hooked. Won't count it as beaten until I get all trophies and will probably slow down after I beat it the first time but maybe by the end of February or March.
2: Castlevania (WiiU/NES) - I got pretty far in a attempt a couple years ago and now I have save states. Should be easy enough for February.
3: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (WiiU/SNES) (1PT) - Hopefully by end of February!

Next Games I Want To Start:
1: Woah Dave! (3DS) - Starting late January.
2: Castlevania (WiiU/NES) - Starting early February.
3: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D OR Kirby and the Rainbow Curse OR The Firefly Diary - Starting Day One. One of them atleast. Can only get one and am undecided at the moment.
4: Skylanders: Swap Force (100%) (3DS) - Starting Mid February.
5: Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (PSV/PSP) - Starting late February or later. Want to wait until Persona 4: Golden is Completed.
6: Mega Man 4 (WiiU/NES) Starting Early March...if I can buy it lol.
7: Code Name S.T.E.A.M. (3DS) - Starting Day One. (03/13/15)
8: Order Up!! (3DS) - Starting late March
9: Steam World Dig (3DS) - After I beat Corpse Party: Book of Shadows.
10: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (3DS/GBA) (2PT) - Mid April
11: Neptunia Rebirth 1 (PSV) - Mid April
12: Splatoon (WiiU) - At launch in May.

Games that I will try my hardest to beat this year:
1: 100% Persona 4: Golden (PSV)
2: Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)
3: Devil Survivor: Overclocked (3DS)
4: Neptunia Rebirth 1 (PSV)
5: Neptunia Rebirth 2 (PSV)
6: Code Name Steam (3DS)
7: Mario & Luigi 4 (3DS)
8: 100% Dangan Ronpa (PSV)
9: 100% Dangan Ronpa 2 (PSV)
10: 100% Gravity Rush (PSV)
11: Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
12: Metal Gear Solid V (PS4)
13: Splatoon (WiiU)
14: Yoshi's Wooly World (WiiU)
15: The Legend of Zelda: U (WiiU)
16: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (3DS/GBA) (2PT)
17: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) (2PT)
18: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)
19: Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) (5PT)
20: Super Mario Land (3DS/GB) (2PT)
21: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3DS/GB) (3PT)
22: Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stone (3DS/GBA)
23: Metroid Fusion (3DS/GBA)
24: Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (PSV/PSP)
25: Corpse Party: Blood Drive (PSV)
26: Sweet Fuse (PSV/PSP)
27: Castlevania (WiiU/NES)
28: Mega Man 4 (WiiU/NES)
29: Mega Man 5 (WiiU/NES)
30: Mega Man: Battle Network (WiiU/GBA)
31: Kirby's Dream Land 2 (3DS/GB)
32: Steamworld Dig (3DS)
33: 1,001 Spikes (3DS)
34: Starship Damrey (3DS)
35: Attack of the Friday Monsters (3DS)
36: 100% Skylanders Swap Force (3DS)
37: Bastion (PSV)
38: Severed (PSV)
39: The Walking Dead: 400 Days (PSV)
40: The Walking Dead Season 2 or The Wolf Among Us (PSV)
41: Dangan Ronpa: Another Episode (PSV)
42: Medieval (PSV/PS1)
42: Patapon (PSV/PSP)
43: Persona 4: Dancing All Night (PSV)
44: The Firefly Diary (PSV)

Def Jukie

Not the first time I've completed this (but still counts here, right?) but it's one of my favourite games of all time. I just absolutely adore the gameplay and the soundtrack is God-tier. In all liklihood I'll probably play through and finish this another 2 or 3 times this year.

Any game counts, especially Hotline Miami. So good, I'm probably going to do another run through this year as well.

Hikami

1-20 | 21-40 | 41-60 | 61-68

8b7c355dc1.png

Game 21: Kingdom Hearts
Playtime: 35:29 (2015: 8 hours)
Start/Finish: ?? - Mar 15th, 2015
//Comments
--
Game 22: Fragment's Note
Playtime: 3:30
Start/Finish: Mar 15th, 2015 - Mar 16th, 2015
//Comments
--
Game 23: Persona 4 Golden
Playtime: 60:52
Start/Finish: Feb 16th, 2015 - Mar 20th, 2015
//Comments
--
Game 24: Mabinogi Duel
Playtime: 6:00
Start/Finish: Mar 23rd, 2015 - Mar 28th, 2015
//Comments
--
Game 25: Lost Saga
Playtime: 15:00
Start/Finish: Mar 25th, 2015 - Mar 29th, 2015
//Comments
--
Game 26: Mabinogi
Playtime: 855:00 (2015: 12 hours)
Start/Finish Mar 27th, 2008 - Apr 1st, 2015
//Comments
--
Game 27: Rogue Legacy
Playtime: 16:48
Start/Finish: Feb 4th, 2015 - Apr 4th, 2015
//Comments
--
Game 28: Azure Striker Gunvolt
Playtime: 5:23
Start/Finish: Apr 4th, 2015
//Comments
--
Game 29: God Eater Burst
Playtime: 52:50 (2015: 20 hours)
Start/Finish: Mar 3rd, 2014 - Apr 6th, 2015
//Comments
--
Game 30: Phantasy Star Online 2
Playtime: 210:14 (2015: 25 hours)
Start/Finish: Jan 1st, 2013 - Apr 6th, 2015
//Comments
--
Game 31: Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword
Playtime: 22:10
Start/Finish: Apr 3rd, 2015 - Apr 9th, 2015
//Comments
--
Game 32: Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment
Playtime: 101:00 (2015: 61 hours)
Start/Finish: Sep 22nd, 2015 - Apr 12th, 2015
//Comments
--
Game 33: Story of Seasons
Playtime: 25:00
Start/Finish: Feb 26th, 2015 - Apr 21st, 2015
//Comments
--
Game 34: Etrian Mystery Dungeon
Playtime: 28:25
Start/Finish: Apr 6th, 2015 - Apr 21st, 2015
//Comments
--
Game 35: Tales of Xillia
Playtime: 47:55
Start/Finish: Apr 15th, 2015 - Apr 26th, 2015
//Comments
--
Game 36: Devil Survivor: Overclocked
Playtime: 66:34
Start/Finish: Mar 28th, 2015 - May 3rd, 2015
//Comments
--
Game 37: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Playtime: 11:00
Start/Finish: May 4th, 2015 - May 7th, 2015
//Comments
--
Game 38: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Playtime: 25:00
Start/Finish: May 12th, 2015 - May 18th, 2015
//Comments
--
Game 39: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for All
Playtime: 18:28
Start/Finish: May 10th, 2015 - May 19th, 2015
//Comments
--
Game 40: Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl
Playtime: 48:24 (2015: 20 hours)
Start/Finish: June 14th, 2014 - May 22nd, 2015
//Comments

Teggy

Game 1: Broken Age - 5 hours
# Played on MAC, finished 1/1. I've had a problem giving up on P&C games in the past when I've had to look up hints. I was able to get through this one without any hints but also didn't feel like it was too easy or too short. The story, writing and voice acting are top notch and I'm looking forward to part two.

Game 2: Never Alone - 2 hours
# Played on PC, finished 1/6. I'm enjoying this new trend of educational games that can be enjoyed by adults. A beautiful looking game about a topic I would have been unlikely to be exposed to otherwise. The gameplay left a bit to be desired, unfortunately, with some frustrating platforming controls and some trial-and-error sections.

Game 3: Valiant Hearts - 6 hours
# Played on PC, finished 1/8. Another educational game about an intriguing and less exposed topic. The gameplay is simple and will doubtfully challenge anyone, but is at least well done for what it is. Charming through and through.

Game 4: Styx: Master of Shadows - 21 hours
# Played on PC, finished 1/13. Incredible level design marred by some questionable controls. Players into hardcore stealth should definitely play this game. Others may find the unforgiving mechanics a bit too frustrating.

Game 5: The 39 Steps - 4.5 hours
# Played on MAC, finished 1/22. I would have enjoyed just reading the book instead. Not recommended. The achievements were even bugged.

Game 6: Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - 12.5 hours
# Played on Wii U, finished 1/24. I wasn't aware until just recently that this game was different than the PS360 game. Great to suddenly have a new SoT-verse game to play. The game was fun, but about 75% through the limitations on control and camera when using the Wiimote started to become apparent and some frustration set in.

Game 7: LIMBO - 4.5 hours
# Played on MAC, finished 1/26. Very LTTP on this, but it lived up to the hype. Short but sweet, challenging puzzles that weren't repeated over and over, and a beautiful dark atmosphere mixed with some gruesome humor.

Game 8: Law & Order Legacies - 8.5 hours
# Played on MAC, finished 1/27. I am a huge L&O junkie, so it's surprising it took so long to get this out of my library. Music and audio/visual cues are true to the series, and the cartoonish depictions of the characters is surprisingly effective. On the other hand, with the exception of Briscoe the portrayal of the characters is mostly passable, and in the case of Benson, pretty bad. The cases are for the most part pretty forgettable, although the overarching story that finally comes together in episodes 6 and 7 is not bad. The L&O game I played in the early 2000s (Dead on the Money) had much more interesting gameplay and the bonus of the actual voice actors. In that game you could fail to build your case and greatly affect the trial. In this game you mostly go through the motions and there seems to be very little effect to your actions in the long run unless you really tank everything. There are a lot better games of this type out there, so it's hard to even recommend this to Law & Order fans.

Game 9: Hate Plus - 5 hours
# Played on MAC, finished 1/27. The story of Analogue: A Hate Story continued, but with really all semblance of a game pulled out. It's hardly really a visual novel in the sense that there's really no visual aspect. But it is a very good science fiction/political story delivered in a unique way. And I baked a cake.

Game 10: Cinders - 5.25 hours
# Played on MAC, finished 1/30. The story and writing were interesting enough, but I don't think I'm going to be putting a lot of time into VNs going forward. Not really a genre that engages me.

Game 11: Life Is Strange - 16 hours
# Played on PC, finished 10/19 - A unique game that definitely tugged at the emotions. For me it unfortunately peaked at Episode 3, but well worth playing through.

Game 12: Shank - 3.5 hours
# Played on MAC, finished 1/30. A pretty simple beat-em-up. Nothing special, but short enough that it didn't outstay it's welcome.

Game 13: Borderlands: The Pre-sequel - 20 hours
# Played on PC, finished 2/2. I have a group of 4 that played B2 together for 200+ hours and we just finished our first play through of this one. Not as epic as B2, but MOTS is not always a bad thing.

Game 14: Resident Evil 5 Gold - 14.5 hours
# Played on PS3, finished 2/5. This is solo main campaign as well as Lost in Nightmares and Desperate Escape. I came into this expecting it would be bad and was pleasantly surprised. It is very far removed from early RE games, and even RE4 - mostly linear areas, no backtracking, and almost no puzzles. But it's fun shotgunning zombies and working through the crazy RE storyline. I'm sure it would have been even better co-op. It's quite a nice package, as well. One bonus scenario that's a throwback to RE1 and another that's a crazy shooting gallery. Then there's a couple of Mercenaries modes that I didn't even touch as well as other content. And I got it through PS+.

Game 15: Kick and Fennick - 5 hours(? No way of knowing)
# Played on PSVita finished 2/10. A reasonably fun puzzle platformer from PS+. Plenty of challenge in the last two chapters, but no story and a very odd final boss. Worth about $5 if you like these kinds of games.

Game 16: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - 47 hours
# Played on PSVita, finished 2/17. This is the first JRPG I have ever finished.

Game 17: Gemini Rue - 9 hours
# Played on MAC, finished 2/18. Fantastic story and a reasonable difficulty for an adventure game. Some very cool pixel art/animation and the music was also impressive for such a small game.

Game 18: Nihilumbra - 3.5 hours
# Played on MAC, finished 2/19. Sort of the Portal 2 paint levels in a 2d platformer. Very short, and I felt like they could have made the game more interesting by requiring more combinations in the puzzles. Completed story mode and tried the "Void" mode, but it's ridiculously difficult.

Game 19: Evoland - 4 hours(? Steam glitched the time)
# Played on MAC, finished 2/20. A cute love letter to RPGs. Like DLC Quest, but less cynical.

Game 20: Jolly Rover - 5.5 hours
# Played on MAC, finished 2/22. A dog and pirate-themed point and click adventure with a difficulty level that felt pretty good. Plenty of puns if you are a dog lover.

Game 21: Fable III - 21 hours
# Played on XBOX360, finished 2/22. I really enjoy the adventure, exploration and humor in the Fable games. Unfortunately, this one had some odd design choices and a questionable turn to the gameplay towards the end.

Game 22: Deponia - 11.5 hours
# Played on MAC, finished 2/26. I managed to finish Deponia without any help and it still felt very challenging. A lot of clever and varied puzzles and genuinely funny writing.

Game 23: Syberia - 9 hours
# Played on MAC, finished 2/27. Needed to look up 2 hints, oh well. The story and setting of the game were intriguing, and I'll play the sequel. The characters, writing and voice acting were very inconsistent, though.

Game 24: They Breathe - 30 minutes
# Played on PC, finished 3/5. I beat it? Kind of creepy.

Game 25: Assassin's Creed: Revelations - 14 hours
# Played on XBOX360, finished 3/8. I wanted to go in with an open mind, but in the end this was a mediocre game. It started and ended pretty strong, but other than a few stand-out free running missions that I enjoyed, the middle was pretty uninspired, especially compared to the variety that Brotherhood managed.

Game 26: Infamous First Light - 5 hours(? No clock)
# Played on PS4, finished 3/11. A nice little slice of Infamous. I'm not generally one for arena fights, but the combat is so fun that I might go back and do some trophy hunting.

Game 27: Deus Ex: GOTY - 29 hours
# Played on PC, finished 3/17. This game has been in my backlog for so many years, and I'm so glad I finally took the time to finish it. I'm sure I've started it 10+ times, never getting more than halfway through. This time it just clicked and it felt a lot shorter than my final tally. A really amazing game that holds up very well. I can't think of any modern games that have done flexibility of play and choice/consequence as good as this 15 year old game.

Game 28: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut - 36 hours
# Played on PC, finished 3/23. A very worthy follow-up to Deus Ex - you could feel that a lot of care went into creating it. I had a few nitpicks, particularly the worthless choice of endings but overall a great game.

Game 29: Dead Island - 24.75 hours
# Played on PC, finished 3/26. Time includes the Ryder White DLC. Slicing, mashing and shooting zombies, especially with the wealth of weapon mods available, offers a lot of fun. But without any real additional gameplay variations, the same killing and escort quests get very stale very fast. If you like to try and do side quests in your games, you'll find each area dragging, and doing these additional quests is the only real way to level up your character and feel more powerful. Some focusing of content would have done this game a lot of good. The DLC is actually very interesting as it turns the game into an FPS for the most part.

Game 30: Time Mysteries: Inheritance - Remastered - 5 hours
#Played on MAC, finished 3/30. I got parts two and three of this series in a bundle so I figured I would chip in on the first game and see what it was like. I had never played a hidden object game before and it was very casual, as expected. It's interesting in that you can skip entire puzzles if you want, and rather than take hints on the hidden object scenes you can switch over to a sort of match-three game. It also used a creepy animation style where it warped the mouths of static images rather than actually make the lips move. I don't think I'll be playing the sequels any time soon.

Game 31: Dead Island Riptide - 19 hours
# Played on PC, finished 3/31. Part sequel, part expansion pack - you get one new character, boats and some new weapons and monsters, but otherwise the other 4 characters are pulled in from the original game with the exact same skill trees, with some new perks for using specific weapon types . You can even port over your high level character from Dead Island, which I did. It seems the conventional wisdom is this game is not as good as the first, but having played it so recently, I think I enjoyed the second game a little bit better. The world was a bit more compact but was more interesting with varied paths and nooks and crannies to explore. No real major improvements to the gameplay, though, so it suffered from some of the same potential to get stale.

Game 32: Ori and the Blind Forest - 12 hours
# Played on XBONE, finished 4/2. My actual playtime was around 20 hours due to bugs causing me to have to replay large amounts of the game. Despite all that, I still finished, which says something about the quality of this game. Beautiful to look at and fun to play. I'm sure this will be on my GOTY list.

Game 33: Rochard - 6.5 hours
# Played on PC, finished 4/5. A fun little physics platformer with a pleasant cartoony look and competent VO. A shame that the devs are gone as I would like to see what they came up with next.

Game 34: Counterspy - 3 hours
# Played on PSVITA, finished 4/11. Finished the "story" on normal and played a little on advanced. I really like stealth games, but this one had a lot of problems. Load times for the procedurally generated levels were painfully long given the amount of time you spend in them, and performance was terrible for a game that really doesn't look all that good. Some rooms were close to slide-show bad. From a stealth perspective the game really forces your hand to kill, because you can't retrieve the needed items without alerting guards, and there isn't even an option for non-lethal takedowns. A bit upsetting, as I liked the concept of the game.

Game 35: Metroid Fusion - 5.75 hours
# Played on Wii U, finished 4/11. I'm sure my actual playtime was a lot longer given all the times I died to bosses. Bosses are definitely my weakness in these games. However, with the exception of needing to look up a strategy for
Nightmare X
I completed the whole game on my own (with some much needed breaks to calm down :) ). I was amazed how many secrets and even required paths were completely hidden, but once I figured that out, it became a lot easier to find my way. Despite that, I finished with only 49% item completion, which kind of blew me away. I also played the whole game on the Wii U gamepad, which was a great way to experience it.

Game 36: Superbrother Sword & Sworcery EP - 4 hours(?)
# Played on iOS, finished 4/26. It's very rare that I manage to finish an iOS game, so it was nice to knock one off the list.

Game 37: Star Ocean: First Departure - 20 hours
# Played on PSP, finished 5/4. Another JRPG finished! What I was most impressed by here was that I didn't even meet a lot of the playable characters, much less use them, and the way the game handled different situations based on which characters you had recruited. Plus, there are so many different mechanics and abilities in the game it can get overwhelming, and this was originally a SNES game! It must have really stood out in its time.

Game 38: Remember Me - 10 hours(?)
# Played on XBOX360, finished 5/10. When this released, I got stuck on a mid-boss about 2/3rds through and stopped playing. Decided to give it another shot and breezed through this time. I don't know what my problem was before, but I guess the combat system finally clicked. This is a decent game that needed some less restrictive environments and some better dialogue. You can easily see how the memory remixes turned into Life is Strange. The gameplay as a whole reminded me a lot of Enslaved, but that game did a lot better job with the traversal and puzzles. The game's strong point is the world it built, as the concept of the memory technology becoming part of everyone's lives works well as a sci-fi story.

Game 39: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 35 hours
# Played on 3DS, finished 5/14. A while back I played this on the Virtual Console but got stuck in the Water Temple, so it was great to get this out of my backlog as well.

Game 40: The Witcher Director's Cut - 44 hours
# Played on PC, finished 5/30. The release of Witcher 3 got me to return to this game and get past Act 1 for the first time. A fun game with great storytelling, although ultimately a bit too long and too easy on standard difficulty.

Game 41: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition - 39 hours
# Played on PC, finished 6/11. Two Witcher games in a row and still not bored. I'll have to go back some time and finish up the alternate path

Game 42: Batman: Arkham Knight - (no idea)
# Played on PS4, finished 7/5. 100% completion of Story Mode. It's still a Rocksteady Arkham game, so it's head and shoulders above a lot of other games in presentation and gameplay, but it's my least favorite of the whole Arkham series.

Game 43: Assassin's Creed III - 28 hours
# Played on PC, finished 7/11. This game has 2 things going for it, the rock climbing and the tree climbing. Outside of that it's a very tedious Assassin's Creed game. The Captain Kidd treasure side quests are a lone bright spot in the design, but everything else is very uninspired. The story actually gets interesting about halfway through the game, but then resolves itself in an unsatisfying manner. The new movement controls seem nice at first, until you realize it gives you less freedom and find yourself running/jumping/climbing to places you didn't intend. That said, the designers seem to have a way to compel you to sink time into doing stupid stuff, as witnessed by my playtime.

Game 44: Just Cause - 9 hours
# Played on PC, finished 7/15. I just wanted to get this out of my backlog so I could play JC2 (and eventually 3). Has a nice big world, but felt dated and clunky. Glad I was able to breeze through the main missions so quickly without having to spend time on sidequests.

Game 45: Just Cause 2 - 17 hours
# Played on PC, finished 7/19. A marked improvement from the first game and looks pretty great maxed out on PC at 60fps. The world is absolutely enormous even when flying airplanes across it. The gameplay was pretty fun, but I couldn't imagine cleaning up the 70% of non-story content I have left - that would get very old very fast.

Game 46: 10000000 - 6 hours
# Played on iOS, finished 7/21. I escaped, and used every upgrade and some potions to do it. One of those games that traps you into "just one more try."

Game 47: Escape Dead Island - 9 hours
# Played on PC, finished 7/22. I didn't find this to be as bad as the review let on, but it ended poorly, and what was shaping up to be a mysterious story just became nonsense.

Game 48: Dying Light - 43 hours
# Played on XBONE, finished 7/26. Make no mistake, this was the true followup to Dead Island, and it improved in just about every department. I had my issues with some of the controls and some of the design decisions, but overall a very fun game and very likely to make it into my top 10 this year.

Game 49: The Order 1886 - (not sure)
# Played on PS4, finished 8/2. The best thing you can say about this game is that it looks REALLY good. Besides that it's a fairly run of the mill cover shooter with fairly small areas and an over-reliance on quicktime events. The story is intriguing, but ends very abrubtly with a lot of questions left unanswered.

Game 50: Mafia - 19 hours
# Played on PC, finished 8/2. I don't know if this was just a case of "you had to be there", but this was one of the worst games I've ever played. Clunky controls, unsatisfying gunplay, a sim-like driving model that for 80% of missions only served to artificially lengthen the game, glitches that failed missions, missions you could get stuck in permanently if you didn't do exactly what the game wanted, and to top it off a final boss who had x-ray vision and 100% accuracy. If not for the 52 games challenge I might have given up early on.

Game 51: Thomas Was Alone - 5 hours
# Played on PC, finished 8/4. Short and sweet. This didn't really live up to the hype, however.

Game 52: Call of Duty: Black Ops II - (no timer)
# Played on XBOX360, finished 8/5. A pretty typical COD game - pretty fun shooting and weapons and a story that starts off pretty good and then just gets silly.

Game 53: Mafia II
# Played on XBOX360, finished 8/6. Better than the original game in every way. I had a good time with this one. Still a few issues, but I'm looking forward to the third game now.

Game 54: Saint's Row - 26.5 hours
# Played on XBOX360, finished 8/20. For an aging GTA clone, it was better than expected - until the rage inducing 4 or 5 last missions. I hope Volition learned the concept of a checkpoint in the sequels.

Game 55: Saint's Row 2 - 21 hours
# Played on XBOX360, finished 8/25. An improvement over the original in just about every way. They added in a lot of checkpoints, which was very welcome, but overcompensated with overwhelming numbers of enemies and constant cars ramming into your fragile vehicles. Still, much fewer missions that make you want to rip your hair out. The story was pretty good as well, with some very dark turns given the otherwise goofy nature of the game.

Game 56: Saint's Row the Third - 16.5 hours
# Played on XBOX360, finished 9/8. Another jump ahead, all around. A new engine with a huge graphical leap, better controls, better gameplay, better writing, better everything.

Game 57: Saint's Row IV Reelected
# Played on XBONE, finished 9/22. This game is practically a different genre than the previous games. A lot of fun, but the way side quests were managed made it feel a bit inferior to SR3. The parody and comedy were fantastic, though, with tons of references back to the first three games and scifi video games and movies.

Game 58: Saint's Row IV Gat out of Hell - 4.5 hours
# Played on XBONE, finished 9/22. I didn't think they could get any more crazy than SRIV, but they came up with something. The traversal mechanics were a lot of fun, but overall the game felt like DLC and not it's own thing.

Game 59: Fallout 3 - 24 hours
# Played on PC, finished 9/28. I didn't play any DLC because I'm planning on playing New Vegas and Fallout 4 and don't want to get too burned out.

Continued in Post 2...

Gave up on:

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles - 5 hours
#Played on PS3. Got to the RE2 section and the game suddenly got 10x harder. I am playing with the DS3 and it's not helping any. I totally forgot that I have this game for Wii as well, so I might try it there later, but more likely I'm just going to skip this and Darkside Chronicles and move on to Revelations since I got both via PS+.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village - 7.25 hours
#Played on 3DS. A bit too casual for my tastes. I could have just forced my way through, but I'm in no danger of meeting my goal and it was getting very tedious.

Syberia II - 11.5 hours
# Played on PC. This one kind of came off the rails for me in the second to last chapter. The backtracking increased, and therefore did the walking/running animations, there were some annoying pixel hunts I missed and some more obscure puzzles. I liked the game up until that point, but then my patience wore a bit thin and I started looking up a bunch of hints. I kind of feel bad about considering this finished, so I'm putting it in the "gave up" column even though I saw the credits.

The Bridge - 30 minutes
# Played on MAC. I just can't get into these one-puzzle-at-a-time games. I've tried others like Stealth Bastard and I just don't feel the compulsion to move forward.

Deus Ex Invisible War - 11 hours
# Played on PC. Son of a...first I lost 5 hours of Ori to a bug, now I lose 11 hours of this game to a corrupt save. Well, I'm not playing it over, I'm moving on to Human Revolution. A pretty odd experience coming right off Deus Ex. Super tiny levels and a slimmed down progression system, but a surprisingly complex system of choice. Wish I could have finished it, but it mostly lived up to its reputation.

Apotheon - 5 hours
# Played on PS4. Game crashed and the most recent save was basically at the beginning of the game. Not interested in replaying all that right now.

Mega Man Maverick Hunter X - 30 minutes
#Played on PSVITA. Couldn't beat the first boss and didn't feel like taking the time to repeat it until I could.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Project X Zone may sound like a working title but w/e its still a super fun game by me! So is Sonic 3 for that matter!

Games Beaten: 04 / 52
Total Playtime: 58 hours, 1 minute

01 - ??

LX_Theo

Banned
RY3LlOq.png

Game 1: South Park: The Stick of Truth - 11 hours [PS3, Jan 2nd]
# Very fun game. Paced well, despite its length. Bleeding makes it very easy, mind you. Just get the super ball and add some stickers to give it bleeding on hit. Then, win any group encounter. It really does feel like an episode.

Game 2: Knack - 10 hours [PS4, Jan 5th]
# Pretty good. Its nothing that would ever set the world on fire or anything, but it was a decent followthrough of a game. Basically, it was decent. Good enough to keep me playing to the end, but not particularly memorable.

Game 3: Suikoden - 19 hours [Vita, Jan 6th]
# I really liked the progression system. Leveling people up to your party's level was easy and makes a game with such a large party nice. I just wish they'd let you use whatever party you wanted a lot more. The army battles and individuals ones added a nice touch that really makes the hype for Suikoden 2 tempting. One day. One day.

Game 4: inFamous: First Light - 4 hours [PS4, Jan 7th]
# Its a nice little side story. Its pretty darn good given some of the negativity I hear associated with it.

Game 5: Tales of Xillia 2 - 36 hours [PS3, Jan 19th]
# So, I watched an LP of the first game. I got into the series for playing it via Tales of Symphonia. I liked that game quite a bit, and this one is the newest out. I really did like it. It could prop itself up less on the party of the first game. The story was really nice (hope they keep the affinity and choice system in later games). The combat was fun, though I could really get better at it.

Game 6: Saints Row 4 - 13 hours [PS3, Jan 27th]
# Comments on Game

Game 7: Life Is Strange - 3 hours [PS4, Month --th]
# Episode 1 (Jan 31st) - Comments
# Episode 2 (March 24th) - Comments

Game 8: Injustice: Gods Among Us - 4 hours [PS4, Feb. 2nd]
# Comments on Game

Game 9: No One Has to Die - 1 hours [Web Browser, Feb. 10th]
# Comments on Game

Game 10: Transistor - 7 hours [PS4, Feb. 14th]
# Comments on Game

Game 11: Super Smash Bros. Project M Mod - 10 hours + [Wii, Feb. 28th]
# Multiplayer game I play commonly with friends. Have played much more than 10 hours by now. Will play much more.

Game 12: Pandemic 2 - ?? hours [Browser, March 5th]
# Comments on Game

Game 13: Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines - ?? hours [Vita, March 11th]
# Comments on Game

Game 14: Tales of Heart R - 28 hours [Vita, March 13th]
# Comments on Game

Game 15: Fragment's Note - 5 hours [iOS, March 17th]
# Comments on Game

Game 16: Tales from the Borderlands - 2.5 hours [PS4, March 17th]
# Episode 2 (March 17th) - Comments

Game 17: Final Fantasy XV: Episode Duscae - 4.5 hours [PS4, March 19th]
# Comments on Game