• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown for Xbox One (Cloudgine, original director, UE4)

jem0208

I hated the first game but that does not mean I'm not entitled to have expectations regarding the next one.

I'm not saying you're not to entitled to anything. I'm just wondering why someone who hates a series would bother coming in to comment on it.

Why so defensive?

Guys, I could need a little help over here :)

If you have to describe your Crackdown experience in one single word - what would that be?

Thanks in advance agents and have a great weekend!

That's a tough one.... you should have asked like 3 words... my one word is Abilities!
That was one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game, getting your abilities so high that you become superhuman. It was awesome!

MMaRsu

Banned
Yes, I don't mind them.
My internet very rarely goes down, so maybe I'm biased.

I look forward to an always online game if it uses "the cloud" in any meaningful way.

Maybe think about other gamers than yourself though.

Not everybody lives in a place with reliable internet.

Also the cloud is nonsense.

Rembrandt

Banned

If you have to describe your Crackdown experience in one single word - what would that be?

Fun, co-op, explosions, betrayal (used to enjoy killing my partner and using him as a weapon), jumping, orbs, etc. there better be news soon.

jesu

Well the new Crackdown is apparently using it.

And no I won't think about other gamers, if their internet is shit they can buy offline games.

Bessy67

I want the best game the devs can make. If you don't have reliable internet yeah that sucks, but it's not the dev's problem. If they can use cloud processing to destructible environments and make the game better then they should. Yes they would make the game inaccessible for some customers but they'd make the game better for most.

Run

Or Jump.

One of the two. I didn't have that much fun traversing on foot until Saints Row 4, and even then Crackdown nailed the sense of progression better so it's a real contest.

JaggedSac

Is this tacit admission of your current employ?

Scrumtrilescence

But seriously - "exhilaration"

Ramenman

One word ? Not possible, but It'd probably be "jumps", or "freedom". (Freedom being very inclusive of jumps).
And of course, RAGDOLLS, but this one is so implied I don't have to say it.

Freedom = no scripted missions, all bosses available from start as you discover them, play anyway you want, complete objectives in any order or don't even complete them, do whatever the fuck you like and get upgrades for it. Jump over everything. Throw everything. Let met have fun however I want in the sandbox and give me upgrades for it, don't bother me with your designs, structures or story. What many consider a weakness in Crackdown was a definite strength for me.

Without the huge jumps I'd notice this isn't Crackdown in 2 seconds of gameplay. (Orbs are obviously a part of that of course. Jump + orbs, the glorious micro-loop of Crackdown).
Without the freedom I'd take a few more minutes to notice it, but not much.

So you are defending always online games?

Wuergh

For years I've played multiplayer-only games, and when my internet is down I can't play them. MMOs are the same. Networks problem rarely happen and when they do I always have something else to play.

Kampfheld

Banned
Thanks guys :) Maybe I can show u a small tech snippet within the next few weeks. Can't promise tho.

I expected much more "platforming" answers, so that's interesting. It helps to get a better understanding of expectations.

On another note, the latest installment is known to be heavily supported with the cloud(TM). Yayaya ... That stupid cloud talk again ;) I know you can not hear it anymore. What I want to say though is: your local gaming mashine does not have enough calculation power to run our game engine. I think we always communicated it that way and there is no reason not to be honest here. If you want to deliver something that has never been done before in that kind of scale, then you can not make compromises. We totally know that there are huge risks involved. But this is the route we will take. We are super confident here and can't wait to get out of the dark.

iMax

Thanks guys :) Maybe I can show u a small tech snippet within the next few weeks. Can't promise tho.

I expected much more "platforming" answers, so that's interesting. It helps to get a better understanding of expectations.

On another note, the latest installment is known to be heavily supported with the cloud(TM). Yayaya ... That stupid cloud talk again ;) I know you can not hear it anymore. What I want to say though is: your local gaming mashine does not have enough calculation power to run our game engine. I think we always communicated it that way and there is no reason not to be honest here. If you want to deliver something that has never been done before in that kind of scale, then you can not make compromises. We totally know that there are huge risks involved. But this is the route we will take. We are super confident here and can't wait to get out of the dark.

Sorry, who are you? Are you on the dev team? Are you at Cloudgine or with the other guys?

Ignore everyone who didn't say platforming.

Crackdown is platforming. Lots of it. It's the Super Mario World of open world gaming.

Yeah Ive seen that way back when. Let me see that when its actually jn the game and not a tech demo.

*Yawn*

So... wait. You've seen it, and you know that it works, but because it isn't in a game yet it's "nonsense?"

Well, I'm excited.

I'm really looking forward to the cloud integration in Crackdown.

I know cloud is a dirty word on NeoGAF, but if you look past all that early marketing hype, the possibilities are still pretty intriguing, and an Xbox exclusive is about the only opportunity for them right now in gaming.

I do think it sucks for those without reliable Internet access, and it would nice if there could be an alternative (like an offline mode), but progress is what will lead to greater access.

I was just about to ask if there is offline single player. So in other words, instead of programming the content on disc or through patches were it can be stored locally, this game will largely be dependent on servers.

Not for me. As with Destiny and Titanfall, I don't want to pay for games where someone else has control on whether it works or not and needs continue support to function. I wonder if this is residue left over from the always online plan MS had.

Rembrandt

Banned

Platforming is a huge deal. Maxing out senility is always the first thing to do. Bring back transforming cars, too. Preferably another one that lets you drive up the side of walls, lol.

TOO SOULLESS

I was just about to ask if there is offline single player. So in other words, instead of programming the content on disc or through patches were it can be stored locally, this game will largely be dependent on servers.

Not for me. As with Destiny and Titanfall, I don't want to pay for games where someone else has control on whether it works or not and needs continue support to function. I wonder if this is residue left over from the always online plan MS had.

I think it has always been made to support the cloud. Crackdown will just be the first real implementation. I'm all for it. If it works, embrace it.

Leflus

Just so we're clear: When I said "orbhunting", "platforming" was implied.

Platforming and verticality is absolutely an important part of Crackdown.

MMaRsu

Banned
Then the game is not for you. Do you also complain about MMO's?

No.

Is this an MMO?

You sound like that adam orth " why would I ever wanna live there " type dude.

Just because its always online and I find that problematic, the game isnt for me? Im a huge fan of the first Crackdown.

TO THE MAX!!!!!!

DenZ97m.gif

cTcGb3b.gif

oOyqxXv.gif

0fKZHnU.gif

iMax

No.

Is this an MMO?

Just because its always online and I find that problematic, the game isnt for me? Im a huge fan of the first Crackdown.

Well, he's not wrong. Like MMOs, games aren't supposed to cater for everyone. I'm sure the developers would rather provide an incredible experience to some than a mediocre experience to many.

We need this kind of innovation to evolve the platform. Besides, server-side physics processing is not bandwidth heavy by any means.

No.

Is this an MMO?

Chill brother, I'm sure there will be an option to play this offline too. It would be pretty ridiculous if they can't match Geo Mod 2.0 for those who don't/can't play online.

a.wd

Ignore everyone who didn't say platforming.

Crackdown is platforming. Lots of it. It's the Super Mario World of open world gaming.

Oh god, please please listen to this man, also the natural progression of leveling up. Also the tiered bad guy system from CD1 alongside the nemesis system would be boss.

No.

Is this an MMO?

Cloudgine job listing described it as an open-world MMO, you should set your expectations base on that. Whether it really it really is "massively multiplayer" or a bit smaller like 8 or so players I have no idea but it sounds like this isn't for you.

Leflus

Then the game is not for you. Do you also complain about MMO's?
It's a sequel to a game that was playable offline. You can't blame us for wanting CD3 to have an offline mode.

I'd rather wait a console gen for more powerful hardware than to play always online games with cloud computing tbh.

iMax

Do we know who's actually developing this game? I know Cloudgine is building the network/physics backend but who's responsible for the art/gameplay?

iMax

It's a sequel to a game that was playable offline. You can't blame us for wanting CD3 to have an offline mode.

I'd rather wait a console gen for more powerful hardware than to play always online games with cloud computing tbh.

This console has been heavily marketed with cloud compute in mind. I don't know why anyone's surprised by this.

I would expect most of Microsofts games moving forwards to sooner or later to be cloud based online games

Leflus

Do we know who's actually developing this game? I know Cloudgine is building the network/physics backend but who's responsible for the art/gameplay?
Dunno, but I could see it being a joint effort between Cloudgine, Ruffian Games and Reagent Games.

This console has been heavily marketed with cloud compute in mind. I don't know why anyone's surprised by this.
I was hoping that the cloud hype would die off before it started doing any real damage. :(

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

i'm not huge crackdown fan, but this sounds really exciting. looking forward to seeing the game proper

JaggedSac

Glad you boys/girls over there have the constitution and conviction to do what you feel is right for the game and engine. Look forward to the end result.

Top Bottom