• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 4K-Capable PS4 And Xbox One Consoles Coming This Year, Predicts Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Aren't most 4k tv's coming out these days already smart tv's with netflix. Why would netflix care. Or maybe netflix is as widespeard on smart tv's as I thought?

autoduelist

Forbes CONTRIBUTOR, chief. They're basically bloggers and freelancers using the Forbes name.

This guy's opinion means basically nothing.

So this article by a random Forbes Contributor is BS because the current hardware already supports 4k output for video, meaning new hardware won't be required.

I really wish Forbes Contributor articles were banned here, nothing good ever comes of it.

Forbes Contributors cause every political forum to go haywire near elections due to the amount of 'false' articles they post and people using them as 'sources' or thinking it means Forbes has a specific political position. They should definitely be banned here as well.

Shin-Ra

When was the last time you saw Blu-Ray on two layers that just had a movie and menu? Most Blu-Rays on 2 layers are 3D, 3 hours+ or come with commentary, behind the scenes and other fluff.
Most Blu-ray movies are on two layers period, and bitrate peaks well, well above 22Mbit/s whether there's a bunch of extras packed on the movie disc or not.

mocoworm

This man is not Forbes, and his opinions here carry virtually no weight. I've never even heard of the magazine he was affiliated with. What was it's circulation? What was it's reputation? Who else wrote for them? Nobody knows.

No, it means that the Forbes Contributor who contributed this blog post is clueless.

This isn't an opinion piece. Have you read the article or the OP?

It is reporting on Netflix Chief Product Officer predicting that this will happen. What has this got to do with the blog post author??

He goes on to say he contacted both MS and SONY and posts their replies. He also talks about in what situations new hardware would be necessary (newer decryption), and adds a little 'what if' at the end.

Why are some people trying to straw man this thread instead of discussing the Netfix prediction?

Once again, THIS ARTICLE IS NOT AN OPINION PIECE. The contributor on Forbes is reporting on an interview with Netflix staff.

belmonkey

I've never actually heard of HDPC 2.2. Is it something that both the TV and the "media box" have to support? It sounds like a lot of 4k TVs last year didn't have it.

I think allot of early adopters will be really upset with the idea of having to go out and purchase a new model console or hardware especially when 4K video playback support has been announced as being supportable on these consoles.

Illucio

Banned
We have the PS4 slim "leak", but the thing about this is that the consoles already can transmit and do 4k resolution.

My assumption is that Sony is having them code for another PS4 device, and they were also asked to make 4k available for the PS4. So they are getting the idea the two are combined and are for a whole new console design, when it fact is was just simply 2 separate things which was originally asked.

riflen

I'm amazed that netflix et al are still even bothering with HDCP. Both previous versions were cracked in weeks or maybe a few months, and I doubt 2.2 is going to last long either. It was a stupid idea from the start, anyway..

Really, you're amazed? The requirement for High Definition Copy Protection will undoubtedly come from the content owners. When was the last time content owners didn't force hilariously pointless DRM schemes down everyone's throats? This should be expected as par for the course if organisations like the MPAA are involved.

thelastword

Banned
This is a good thing though, it will increase the push for better broadband everywhere. I think this may push minimum broadband speeds of 3-1Mbps to something much higher, everybody wins.

Did someone post the video where major nelson unboxes the xbox one showing the hdmi that supports 4k yet?...

This is just weird to me. Lol

Occam

THIS ARTICLE IS NOT AN OPINION PIECE. The contributor on Forbes is reporting on an interview with Netflix staff.

So it's an article about someone elses opinion. The opinion of a person who is not an employee of either of the companies who created the hardware in question and thus has no actual first hand knowledge.

virtualS

There is a 4K BluRay standard rapidly being finalised with the first players due on shelves by year end. I can see a revised PS4 featuring support for these higher capacity discs and HDMI 2.0 and AC networking being released by Christmas.

Futureman

Did someone post the video where major nelson unboxes the xbox one showing the hdmi that supports 4k yet?...

This is just weird to me. Lol

both consoles are capable for 4K output, the article this thread is about is referring to steaming services like Netflix requiring hardware that the consoles don't have.

so for example in the future* you could take a video file you shoot on your 4K video camera, load it on your PS4 and watch it on your 4K TV, but you won't be able to use Netflix to watch 4K movies/TV.

*while the consoles can theoretically output 4K, they currently are not set up in software to allow this. This could be fixed with a firmware update, but the Netflix issue would require new hardware

belmonkey

I was under the impression that it had been said prior to the launch of the PS4 that it was capable of 4K Video Playback, just not 4K gaming. Was this not upheld?

EDIT:
Yeah, here's the link
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/ga...video-output-on-ps4-but-not-for-games-1132919

In an interview, Sony President of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida confirmed that the PlayStation 4 announced Wednesday night is capable of displaying what's known as 4K video output, but only for content that supports it.

If netflix 4k streaming needs HDPC 2.2 and PS4 doesn't have it, wouldn't that make it unsupported content?

So it's an article about someone elses opinion. The opinion of a person who is not an employee of either of the companies who created the hardware in question and thus has no actual first hand knowledge.

This+is+pretty+much+how+i+see+you+right+now+_0337960b1f32ea48d00c4c39f136677b.jpg

The Netflix guy is clueless or there is a disconnect.

AMD's Kaveri supports HEVC with a Xtensa DPU (Software based with Xtensa accelerators). Both the PS4 and XB1 contain Xtensa DPUs. Firmware update is all that is required. Kaveri will support HEVC with Windows 10 at LOW POWER levels.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916219

1)The difference between HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 which supports 4K @ 60Hz is a faster clock.
2)For the PS4, HDCP will be software based using a Xtensa DPU in Southbridge because it will eventually be cracked and a new revision released.
3) A quad layer blu-ray drive + HEVC codec is needed for 4K blu-ray and modern blu-ray drives support quad layer.

Firmware update schedule.

“We’re looking at 2015. Our concentration is going to be around continuing to provide two things. One is, from a hardware standpoint, we want to continue to innovate across the hardware. There are lots more features and benefits we can pull out of the PlayStation 4 hardware. It’s pretty well feature-proved to allow us to do that. We’ll continue to execute on that.”
Feature-proved" means they have a list of coming features with the hardware designed/proved to be able to support those features.

clintar

AMD's Kaveri supports HEVC with a Xtensa DPU (Software based with Xtensa accelerators). Both the PS4 and XB1 contain Xtensa DPUs. Firmware update is all that is required. Kaveri will support HEVC with Windows 10 at LOW POWER levels.

1)The difference between HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 which supports 4K @ 60Hz is a faster clock.
2)For the PS4, HDCP will be software based using a Xtensa DPU in Southbridge because it will eventually be cracked and a new revision released.
3) A quad layer blu-ray drive + HEVC codec is needed for 4K blu-ray and modern blu-ray drives support quad layer.

So are you sure HDCP 2.2 can be done in software? Are you saying it will be cracked, and then Sony can implement the crack in software to act as if it's compliant?

Syriel

Forbes said:
You can deliver 4K video and high-resolution sound via the latest generation of USB ports; this is the way Samsung’s UHD movie server connects to its current TVs, in fact. But people now expect HDMI to be their main TV connection, and there’s no particularly massive cost implication with using HDMI 2.0 ports over 1.4 versions these days.

Well that's about as accurate as saying that Ethernet is a 4K video cable. ;)

Danlord

I posted this not so long back. Sony has, in the past updated their TV firmware to support HDMI 2.0 which allows for 4K @ 60fps, and theoretically, Sony pushing 4K in all areas of the industry as they did with Blu-ray would surely have future-proofed the design of the PS4 to support it in the future. Requiring new hardware to support this 4K would splinter the market of current-owners of PS4's for the sake of supporting 4K is simply not a good idea.

Edit: I know it's not just about supporting HDMI 2.0 spec but also the HDCP spec but Jeff_Rigby post above covers that part, so it goes along with my thoughts that this year we'll have a big media feature firmware update for PS4, and not a hardware redesign for the sake of adding 4K support (but will eventually make smaller components and use 1GB GDDR5 chips instead of 512MB chips)

LAM09

I thought the current models could have software updates to support HDMI 2.0 capabilities, etc.

Either way, I would be surprised if a new console came out this year.

Reallink

I'm amazed that netflix et al are still even bothering with HDCP. Both previous versions were cracked in weeks or maybe a few months, and I doubt 2.2 is going to last long either. It was a stupid idea from the start, anyway..

It's not Netflix's call, it's the studios from whom they license the content. They no doubt have copy protection requirement clauses in their contracts.

So are you sure HDCP 2.2 can be done in software? Are you saying it will be cracked, and then Sony can implement the crack in software to act as if it's compliant?
TEE level DRM requires all IO in the same SOC and everything encrypted from source to sink. The media stream comes into southbridge as a Playready encrypted stream and leaves Southbridge as a HDCP encrypted stream. The PS4 Southbridge fits this description of a Tee Level DRM. HDCP for the HDMI port would take place in Southbridge...this is the best DRM practice.

Every DRM is eventually cracked and a new revision is released. The only way you can do this is with firmware. Playready DRM makes provisions for changing the DRM routines also.

Feature-proved"[/B] means they have a list of coming features with the hardware designed/proved to be able to support those features.
Rigby saves the day, I can sleep now thank you.

allan-bh

RE: All newer blu-ray drives support 4 layer disks. There is a patent from Sony describing how they might implement 4K blu-ray and the issue is that older drives can support it and that creates DRM issues. Their fix is to invert the track info on 4 K disks so older drives can't support 4K but can still support standard blu-ray..

I believe they abandoned that because Ultra HD Blu-Ray will not use a 4 layer disc.

There will be a dual layer disk with 66GB and a triple layer with 100GB.

Point 1 and 2 OK but Blu-ray 4K cannot be supported: it is supposed to be using 33GB/Layer with Triple Layer Disc (100 GB Disc)

Standard Blu-ray drives use 25GB/Layer

This isn't an opinion piece. Have you read the article or the OP?

It is reporting on Netflix Chief Product Officer predicting that this will happen. What has this got to do with the blog post author??

He goes on to say he contacted both MS and SONY and posts their replies. He also talks about in what situations new hardware would be necessary (newer decryption), and adds a little 'what if' at the end.

Why are some people trying to straw man this thread instead of discussing the Netfix prediction?

Once again, THIS ARTICLE IS NOT AN OPINION PIECE. The contributor on Forbes is reporting on an interview with Netflix staff.
Big lol at mocoworm...

Who gives a crap what they say? WE KNOW WHAT SONY SAID (Shu).
"The PS4 supports 4K output, but only for photos and videos — not games"

Are you going to reply again with "....but a Forbes Contributor talked with a Netflix guy, and....." ?

Harp

They can do most things in software. But in reality anyone that has a,4k tv like myself. Already has netflix uhd. No real need to play it via a console. As of today netflix has 3 movies, 4 videos and 3 series. Not much content. And the quality is pretty much like a blue ray. Some cool scenes but nothing worth buying a tv for. Uhd blue ray will be out this year then we will see what the tech can do.

Point 1 and 2 OK but Blu-ray 4K cannot be supported: it is supposed to be using 33GB/Layer with Triple Layer Disc (100 GB Disc)

Standard Blu-ray drives use 25GB/Layer
Panasonic showed that with a firmware update most 25GB/layer blu-ray drives could support 33GB/layer. The rumors were using either a Quad layer disk or 3 33GB layers and all modern drives can support both. Edit: the standard will be which is easier to produce as reading has no cost difference.

4K Blu-ray Confirmed, Coming in Late 2015
Posted September 5, 2014 11:34 AM by Webmaster

Blu-ray Disc4K Blu-ray is officially on the way. According to Victor Matsuda, Chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association Global Promotions Committee, the BDA expects the specs for 4K Blu-ray to be finalized in the first half of 2015, paving the way for commercial availability by the end of the year. This means we can expect to see actual 4K Blu-ray movies and players available in stores by Christmas next year.

Apart from the jump to 4K resolution (3840 × 2160p) we can also expect 4K Blu-ray to support higher frame rates (up to 60fps), an expanded color gamut along with high dynamic range (HDR), as well as HEVC/H.265 encoding to compress 4K movies more efficiently and allow for higher bit rates. The group is currently exploring the possibility of increasing the disc capacity to 66GB or 100GB.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/3D_Technology_and_4K_Resolution said:
The PS4 will be enabled for 4K resolution for videos, the interface, and movies through Hulu or Netflix, but it will not have the capability to display games in 4K.

In the same interview where Yoshida revealed more about the PS4's 3D capabilities he also stated:

"The PS4 supports 4K output, but only for photos and videos; not games. PS4 games do not work on 4K."

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/130567-amazon-prime-instant-video-to-stream-in-4k-from-october said:
Amazon Prime Instant Video to stream in 4K from October

Amazon will begin streaming in 4K according to a Samsung release that let the cat out of the bag.

Samsung sent out a release that said its 4K UHD TV line would largely be able to support Amazon's Prime Instant Video UHD streaming service. The Samsung TVs in question are due to go on sale in October suggesting Amazon's 4K stream will be up and running by then.

Amazon Prime Instant Video marketing director Russell Morris stated recently that the company would be streaming in 4K at some point this year.

Android L and Windows 10 are being released this year and they support HEVC.

antibolo

Banned
Sony already said the PS4 is capable of doing 4K, there's just no reason to enable it because there's no content for it.

J-Rzez

Considering the faster than expected uptake of 4K/UHD TVs I would not doubt that we'll see a firmware update to allow the machines to handle this. From last speaking to someone from within a major big-box retail electronics chain, uptake of 4K UHDTVs in large sizes (55"+) within this region/district is around 1/3 of all sold and climbing fast.

People may say "but content". Sure, valid point. But one must remember that a GOOD full-HD set is only a few hundred cheaper than a GOOD entry level 4K set, and people are buying them because of the whole "future proof" thing. Demo's like my Best Buy has a standard Blu-Ray player connected via a HDMI splitter going to a w950b and a x850b and there is an undeniable boost in detail via upconversion most people can (and do) notice.

Even my backwards area's cable/ISP is upgrading all their lines/nodes/hardware to support greater thoroughputs on all sides. They've been laying new lines and establishing a 15m down baseline speeds with up to 100m down packages (and a meh-5m up), and doing work on their "nodes". I asked them what they were doing since they were tearing up land just outside of my backyard and the worker said "we're putting new lines in because in a tech meeting they said they need to have a higher overhead for faster speeds and something about these newer sharper TVs" lol.

As far as I've read it seems outside of gaming (which TVs will upconvert at the cost of latency) that these consoles will probably get a firmware push to allow other forms of 4k content. No different HDMI port is needed (pins are the same, clocks are different) and HDCP can be addressed processor side.

Koralsky

Probably new PS4/One revisions will be marketed like '4K ready' devices. It sound logical from PR perspective.

Of course both Sony and MS will release firmware update for the "fat"/old models.

Futureman

lots of knowledgeable people in here who seem to know what they are talking about, just seems really weird the Netflix Chief Product Officer wouldn't know what he was talking about. Why would he say such things if there was really no issue?

By the time 4k is mainstream, there will be new consoles...no?

Nope. 4K TV's aren't crazy expensive anymore, and they actually have sold very well in 2014. The sales for them increased by 500% year over year, to 6.4 million units by Q3 in 2014 (which of course leaves out the holiday shopping season). More than likely if someone were to buy a new TV today, they would heavily look at 4K TV's. Heck, for the same price as I got my 55" 1080p Panasonic Plasma about 5 years ago, you can now get a 55" Curved 4K LED TV. You can even buy a 4K TV for around $500. Of course, it's not going to be a particularly good TV by many standards, but still, it can support a 4K picture.

It's estimated that 4K TV's will top more than 12% of all worldwide TV sales this year (source: https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/techreports/tr028.pdf ). They will likely continue to grow quickly as well as prices are dropping fast (at which point, why buy the inferior 1080p TV?).

It's similar to the 720p/1080i/1080p transition that happened during the 360/PS3 days. There was lots of debate if it was even worth it to have 1080p sets, with very similar arguments to the arguments people have against 4k. By the end of the gen, 1080p sets were considered "mainstream". By the end of this gen, it will likely be a similar story where 4k sets become "mainstream".

Read this forum thread on an old CNET article (no longer up?) saying that 1080p isn't worth it. It's funny to see the parallels 9 years later: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...48175-cnet-case-against-1080p-plasma-lcd.html

Hubble

Perhaps they could also get some simple 2D indie games to run at that resolution.

It's referring to smaller revisions to the console e.g., HDMI 2.0, a 4k decoder, etc., not drastic hardware allowing games to be at 4k, even indies.

mhayze

Overall this wouldn't surprise me greatly. Ultra-HD Blu-ray will need all the hardware support it can get in order to survive, and since Sony is the company behind both UHD BD and the PS4, if it does indeed need new hardware, I can see them doing it. Even better would be them allowing it via firmware upgrade to the PS4, but who knows if this is possible or not. It does seem quite unlikely given the changes to the bit density/layer and the changes to HDCP /bandwidth in order to support all that's in the spec.

This has nothing to do with performance, only the ability to output 4K content. Every PS4 has the technical capability to do whatever 4K content that will be managed in the GPU/CPU and other components, just not the right back HDMI port and decryption software to do so.

I don't think the rumor is true (and looks to be discounted already) but I have doubts about any hardware revision being released this soon by either MS or Sony without some kind of incentive for consumers to upgrade beyond simply 4K support for media.

And honestly I've been wondering at what point we may begin to see the mobile marketplace business model applied consoles but hopefully not this generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom