• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game 5: Rogue Legacy
55RYtWK.jpg
Playtime: 14:14
Platform: PS4

I was waiting for this to go on sale, but it never did. But, then it was free for PS+! I expected the game to be really good, despite not knowing much about it, and it really is good! The game can be a bit grindy from trying to get cash to upgrade, but it is still fun. I beat this in around 4 sittings, so it is very addictive. The game must be played with a d-pad for proper control, and the down attack is hard to hit with, even with it automatically set to on. The game is pretty difficult, but you really just need to know the enemies' patterns. Music is decent, but there isn't much variety. A lot of content as there is a new game plus (which on my first try, is very hard), and I believe a NG++, too. A great roguelike for those that like action and platformers.

Rating: 8.5/10

Original Post

Original Post

Game 8: Luftrausers -
Started: 2/7/15
Finished: 2/7/15

GgRBfUv.png

I absolutely hate this game. Luftrausers is the most frustrating game I've played in some time. The game's art style is very unique, and I can respect that. I very much liked how the game looked aside from its odd design choice when it comes to people. In-game however, everything looks great! I really like how your plane, which can be customized with various parts, has weight to it and feels somewhat realistic. The sound, also, sounds very nice, and has some style to it. You can level up in the game, up to level 10. For each level you receive new equipment for your fighter plane. I found that the number of different types of equipment could have been increased, but there is enough here to make everything feel different. All of this is fine. This is not the problem of the game. What makes me mad is just one simple side mission and trophy: Kill a blimp. The blimps in Luftrausers spawn on some algorithm that even the internet can not figure out, and I sure as Hell didn't. In some 100 or so attempts, I came across a blimp a total of 2 times. The other 98 percent of the time I was dealing with the random number of enemies, and random types of enemies which spawn in and sometimes just get ridiculous. On Vita, there were occasions when there were so many enemies, the frame rate suffered to an extent that I could no longer control my plane and died. Beating the minimum threshold of score needed to spawn the blimp, 7,000 to 8,000 close to 75 percent of the time, I still could not not spawn in that damn blimp, and even when I did, I got ABSOLUTELY WRECKED. I don't even know how it's possible for someone to get every mission in this game completed with RNG like this, and I won't be one to find out. Luftrausers is a fun game, but for what I wanted to accomplish, it was terribly frustrating and repetitive. While the frustration can be blamed largely on me, I'd assume just about anybody would get bored considering the game is practically the same level over and over. Most people should try this game, but only a small amount of it.

Hours Played : 4

Overall Score : 3.5 (Personal) / 6.5 (General)

"Play it for an hour and don't even try to kill a blimp"

Main post

Game 4: Far Cry 4 (PS4) - 48h19m [2/7/15]
fc4_logo_zpsfcnqfl4y.png

Beat the game on Normal with 100% completion. 45/50 trophies.

Liked it, but a description of "Far Cry 3: Definitive Edition" isn't too inaccurate. It's a very similar game, and while FC4 is certainly improved over its predecessor, after playing FC3 less than a year ago the formula has become a bit exhausting. Not too different from how I felt after Assassin's Creed II. I feel like that same fate awaits Far Cry, but we'll see. Hopefully they change things up quite a bit with the next one.

Still a very nice looking game that was fun to play, especially when flying the buzzer and blowing people away with my sidearm grenade launcher.

theecakee

Nine_Hours,_Nine_Persons,_Nine_Doors_Cover_Art.jpg

02: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors

Really creepy ass game, just finished my first play through and am starting up the next.
I got the knife ending first, I didn't really look up anything about the endings prior I just kind of did what I'd want. Per recommendation by a friend, I watched the sub ending and the axe ending on Youtube because he said it was a waste of time to play through 2 extra times for them.

So far, I don't really know what is going on fully. I don't think Clover's revenge was anything special to the real ending because she was dead in the sub ending. I have a feeling June was involved because she wasn't fully dead when Junpei died in the sub ending, so she was the only other possible killer.

I still have not the slightest idea for what is going on in that altar at the 9 door room.

1:30AM so I can't start it now.

Dryk

Original Post

I'm doing a write-up on this because I want to talk about it, but I'm not going to count it towards my number

Bonus Writeup #1: Plain Sight: 1.9 hours

This game would probably be really good if it wasn't indie and 5 years old, and thus long dead. The movement system is really fun and fast, map and perk variety is pretty good. The scoring mechanic is relatively unique with you have to reach a certain number of kills (which increases every time you score) and then charge a self-destruct before they are added to your total.

That said I played it for 2 hours in 2 sessions today, got through about half the maps and it's already wearing thin. I can't tell if it's the kind of boring bots or if it's just the game. But this is definitely a game I would've loved to see at its peak (however small).

Midn1ght

Update #2

GAME #3 : The Swapper
kkagSBT.jpg

Rating: ★★★★☆ - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Facepalm Games, Curve Studios
Really good game, the gameplay mechanic is great and gives you really enjoyable puzzles to solve. The story is intriguing and the atmosphere and music absolutely fantastic. You really have a feeling of isolation and just want to get out of there. I struggled in a few rooms but man it felt good when I finally found the solution. Great experience !

Original Post

Yuterald

Game 10: Bonk III: Bonk's Big Adventure - 2-3 hours - TG16/VC

Finished Bonk 3 for the first time last night. Fun game, but weakest entry in the series, imo. Bonk II > Bonk > Bonk III.

Adahn

Original post: Here

5/52

January's games

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1, Vita, c.40 hours

My first visit to Gamindustri, and I got pretty much what I expected. Plenty of anime girls, moe elements, a gaming related pun every few seconds. I really, really love the concept of the Hyperdimension universe, but I think the delivery sees a rather bog-standard JRPG hamstrung by certain elements of the mechanics that makes up some niche sales by pandering to an otaku crowd.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2, Vita, c.35 hours

Ha! More of the same, just this time with the little sisters of the main cast last time round. Which makes the sexualised moe stuff a little more creepy. The move to four characters and the limiting of over-powerful moves early on does help some of the early-mid game balance issues, but some new mistakes means that once again Gamindustri still isn't quite on the must visit list. I still think the concept, and the franchise, has got great potential to deliver a genuinely good game that would finally impress people outside of its niche, but we're not quite there yet.

The Swapper, Vita, 5 hours

I love surprises like this; I'd not really read too much about The Swapper, and I tend not to actively seek out puzzle games, so nabbing this on Plus was probably the only way I was going to get to it. Really phenomenal game, great art direction and setting, and the puzzles themselves was fantastic. I loved the way progression worked too, with the odd time that I got stuck on a puzzle not meaning that I had to sit there banging my head against the Vita unless I really wanted to.

Titan Attacks!/, Vita, 2 hours

Another Plus offering I'd loaded up for a quick play after some longer games, but nowhere near the quality of The Swapper. Bit too easy to load up and depend on 'emergency' bombs and shields to get you through, and not even that expensive as long as you combined that tactic with not sucking entirely at the game. Might scratch a small space invaders itch, but probably not

Akiba's Trip, Vita, 5 hours

Just a quick run through or 2 to cap off some additional story trophies - thoughts on the game as a whole in last year's 52 list.

Hikami

First game of February done

40c6c1ed31.jpg

Game 15: Sunrider
Playtime: 13:30 (2015: 5 hours)
Start/Finish Oct 2nd, 2014 - Feb 8th, 2015
First Arrival
// First time playing a visual novel set in space with mechas and such, pretty cool. The strategy combat is difficult as hell though, had to pretty much tone it down to the lowest difficulty. The characters were likable for the most part but the plot didn't make much sense. Though for a free game, this was a lot of fun. Check it out on steam if you like Visual Novels + Strategy games.
Mask of Arcadius
// The story continues with this free update. They really improved the problems I had with the combat and made it much more fair since you can actually get money for upgrades through skirmishes now. Of course.. the story would end on a cliffhanger. Can't wait for the next update.
Rebirth of the Holy Empire
Out in Q2 2015, will play then.
--
Original Post

Pretty close to finishing Demon Gaze so that's next.

Original post

9. Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (XB1)
Finished the game on Normal.
The first time I played Halo was more than a decade ago, sometime after it was released for Windows. Knowing little about the game except that it was one of the marquee games for the Xbox, I starting playing assuming it would bring something new to the table. But the shooters that stood out to me in that era--Deus Ex, System Shock 2, No One Lives Forever--all seemed cut from a different cloth from Halo. The only things I remember from that original playthrough were the Library, an interminably long section of corridors that all looked alike, and the place where I stopped playing the game: a particularly difficult section after blowing up the second Halo field generator.

Obviously, in the decade and a half since Halo was released, it's become a phenomenon. Though J. Allard is not yet Master Chief of the world, Halo is widely credited with making first-person shooters popular on consoles. Having since played Halo 3, 4 and Reach, the Master Chief Collection seemed like the best chance I'd ever have to revisit the original.

It turns out I stopped playing at pretty much the right moment. The first half of Halo's campaign is clearly the better half. There are plenty of Halo's trademark arena fights, the combat is varied, and the enemies are fun to fight. 343 Guilty Spark is the beginning of Halo's downfall, as it asks you to navigate a bewildering array of corridors and rooms that better resemble a maze than an actual military installation. It's the first obvious example of copypasta design, as all the rooms look like minor variations on the same design and there's no indication of where in the complex you are or how close to your objective you're supposed to be.

The Library, surprisingly, isn't as bad as I remember it being. This is probably because this time around, I realized it sometimes made more sense to run than fight. The Flood make for an awful enemy, and Halo fills its second half with the buggers. While the monster closets they spawn from aren't endless, they sure feel like it sometimes, with spawns continuing minutes after your first encounter. Without a shotgun, the stronger Flood enemies take forever to kill, making them an exercise in tedium. And when they do attack, they attack in huge numbers. Compared to the Covenant, who actually seem to have some interesting AI tactics, the only tactics the Flood have are to advance quickly or to advance from behind because Bungie decided monsters should spawn behind you at random points.

Two Betrayals is where the game really starts to fall apart, thanks to its heavy reliance on vehicles that absolutely suck to drive and have practically no armor. And by the time you get to the final battle, you're being asked to execute precision jumps because Bungie couldn't be bothered to put in a goddamned set of stairs so have fun jumping over these barrels while sentinels and Flood are shooting at you by the way you'll have to do this four times and wait why are you using grenades these only work a tenth of the time you should be using a rocket launcher wait you don't have one just go to the armory wait you don't know where that is well I guess you'll have to Google it because we sure as fuck aren't going to tell you.

Halo ends with a lengthy warthog sequence made even more offensive by tacking on ANOTHER lengthy warthog sequence after you think you've reached the end of the game. Spoiler alert: if, at the end of these two warthog bumpercar rides, you get killed by an errant Flood: YOU GET TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN, ALL SIX MINUTES OF IT.

I'm trying really hard not to just say, "why the fuck did anyone like this game enough to give it a sequel." But it's very hard at times not to get angry at Halo for a whole host of awful design decisions. Maybe Halo 2 is better, but I will probably never understand the people who have fond memories of the first Halo campaign.

Wazzy

Banned
Is4YQJG.jpg

Game #2: Tales Of Graces f - 5 hours 18 minutes
I'm enjoying this game quite a bit. I just met
Pascal
and she's a hilarious creep. I love me some Tales battle systems so I'm having fun with this.

bZNf4Jf.png

Game #3: Pokemon Omega Ruby - 6 hours 17 minutes
I picked this up a couple days ago and decided to play it as a breaker from when I can't play Graces. I love the original(even with it's flaws) and I'm liking the remake so far. I'm just at the 4th gym and my team consists of:

Grovyle 31
Linoone 25
Gyrados 20
Mightyena 24
Swellow 26

I have some final teams already in mind.

Original Post

Zeranium

h9AChmw.jpg

Game 7.) Five Nights at Freddys (PC)
Finished on 2/3 - [2 hrs]
Finished up all five nights. Got pretty tense at times for me, even knowing some of the nuances of each animatronic (mostly Freddy and Foxy.)
Probably won't be attempting 20/20/20/20 any time soon...

Original Post

Axass

Per recommendation by a friend, I watched the sub ending and the axe ending on Youtube because he said it was a waste of time to play through 2 extra times for them.

Change friends. No, seriously though, I don't get his suggestion:

1 - You play different rooms with different puzzles to get to the other endings, so it's definitely not a waste of time.

2 - If you watched the endings only, you probably missed all of the details that made those endings happen, which makes it very confusing story-wise.

3 - No story spoilers but a minor spoiler on the ending mechanics,
you'll need to do a bunch of specific things to get it and, unless you decide to follow a guide, you'l need to know what choice brings you to what room etc

4 - If you don't follow a guide you might end up on one of those endings you already saw, that would be a real waste now that you're spoiled.

5 - Personal thought: the game's really all about the mystery and slowly discovering things yourself, so youtubing the other endings before you get the true one is a really bad way to play it.

Hubb

OP

6) Bravely Default FF 3DS H55
I went into this game without much knowledge of it. I knew people didn't like the 2nd half of the game, but I didn't know why. I also didn't realize how many different classes there were. I too didn't like how the 2nd half of the game was handled. The combat system, the options they give you, the class diversity, and the characters were all high points of this game.

I am really looking forward to the sequel and hopefully it doesn't take too long to come westward.

StingX2

BT1X3an.jpg

Beaten Game Beaten #16 Gunman Clive (3DS) - 46 Minutes
(Started and Finished 2/9/15)

This is an excellent $2 pickup from the 3DS shop. It only lasts an hour roughly but it pulls a nice fast one on you by
switching gears from cowboy western to full on mega man.

OG Post

Greymanic

Neo Member
Original

GAME #4
: New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U) - 21 Hours 29 Minutes (Dec 25th - Feb 9th)

Logo_New_Super_Mario_Bros_U.png

As a long time Nintendo fan, I've always gotten their new consoles at launch. The Wii U was the exception, this was mainly due to the lack of interest in any of the launch titles. Ironically when I do eventually get one, my first game ends up being one of the launch titles. I had fun though but it wasn't a game that left me wanting more. Mario games tend to be like that for me. It was a good experience, it has me excited to try out other Wii U games, and maybe at some point I'll buy the expansion, but right now I'm not eager to play more of it.

Hikami

Ended up finishing this next instead of Demon Gaze, well then.
Original Post
--
a6d267ff51.jpg

Game 16: Persona 3 FES: The Answer
Playtime: 21:15
Start/Finish Feb 6th, 2015 - Feb 10th, 2015
// That Persona 5 trailer made me want to go and play some Persona, so I finally gave The Answer from P3 I try. I'm pretty damn exhausted after playing that. I hate grinding (which made up most of it) but I was enjoying the story sections. Joining the
#bringbackP3mc team
after seeing how all that played out. I actually liked how they did this, it gave the ending more meaning in my opinion.
--
I kind of want to play more Persona but, won't be able to get a hold of Persona 4 Golden til Friday so.. need to finish up some other games before that happens.

Fugu

Original Post

Game 2: Tomb Raider
PC (and a whole lot of other shit), 1996

This year is the year that I've decided I'm going to tackle the games that I've owned and liked for a long time but, for one reason or another, have never beaten. Having bought Tomb Raider nearly twenty years ago now, this is one of those games. I bought all three of the original trilogy around the time of their release on the basis that what I'd played of them I'd enjoyed, but I never really made much of a go at any of them until a thread on here about their controls compelled me to do so.

I have to say that, especially given the sheer number of times I've heard that the series has aged poorly, I was very pleasantly surprised. Tomb Raider is a great and rather different platformer with an emphasis on slow, methodical play and exploration. It's difficult to describe what makes Tomb Raider effective, but I'd say it comes down to the way that it really feels like you're doing exploring in the way that it would feel like in real life: You have to be careful and observant at all times because you may very well fall to your death, and all but the most basic jumps require an intimate familiarity with your strengths and limitations. The controls get a lot of hate for being tank-like (which, as far as I can tell, simply means that they don't conform to the Mario 64 school of ultra-responsiveness), but this complaint is essentially irrelevant to anyone who has played the game for more than twenty minutes. The controls are simply a necessary part of a larger design narrative that places the utmost importance on being absolutely deliberate in everything that you do. What surprised me most about this game was that it almost felt atmospheric because the settings, outlandish as they may be, unraveled themselves at a very human pace. Relating to the controls, one of the many things that Tomb Raider absolutely does right is that the learning curve really keeps things from getting too hard too quickly. Everything comes at a natural pace, and the platforming only start to really escalate in difficulty when appropriate. There's also a good variety of everything as the game goes on. It's important for me to note as well that I thought the level design was excellent, often showing the kind of ingenuity that id was known for at the time. There's a good mix of linearity and nonlinearity in the stages, and it's really quite something to see how some of the stages come together.

What I found, however, was that things really drag on. This is not a short game -- it probably took me around thirty hours -- and I started to feel that the developers had run out of ideas by the final third and especially in the last two levels. In fact, as a whole I would say that the game never quite matches the tempo and enjoyability of the first few levels. The Zelda-esque puzzle solving, in the absence of the RPG-lite traits of Zelda (in Tomb Raider, you have all of the abilities you're ever going to have from the outset), simply becomes exhausting by the end because the puzzles are all of a similar nature, and the ones that aren't tend to be so obtuse that they're just frustrating
like having to shoot the scion in the last level when, up until that point, you'd never been asked to shoot anything to advance a puzzle
. It's also impossible to not mention the game's completely terrible combat, which unfortunately becomes an increasingly big fixture of the game as it goes on and the stakes get bigger. The controls, as suited for methodical platforming as they may be, are simply not meant for real-time combat, meaning that fighting things is always dull, frequently unpredictable -- I've done many a backflip off of the level because something odd happened during a fight -- and never enjoyable. Health is handed out like candy so it's unlikely that the game's gingerly spaced adversaries will ever pose enough of a threat to really halt your progress, but it doesn't change the fact that the combat is anti-fun. Other, less significant problems include the prototypical mid-nineties camera and the oddly small window in which you can interact with objects. I also encountered a potentially game-breaking glitch
during the puzzle where an alien(?) mirrors Lara's movements
that, fortunately, had an easy fix as well as another during the previous level that allowed me to skip a rather significant percentage of the game.

For full disclosure purposes I have to point out that I saved a staggering number of times to beat this game due to the amount of precision it takes to do a lot of the later segments and the relatively high cost of failure. It would be unfair of me to call this a design flaw but I tend to prefer games that don't make me feel like I have to save every five minutes.

To sum up my impressions of this game, I will say that I loved it at the start but was a bit too glad to see the ending credits. Seriously, if they removed five of the game's fifteen levels this might be one of the greatest games ever made. As it stands, however, it's merely a good game.

3/5

LX_Theo

Banned
Game 9 Update

IpSuZQj.png

Game 9: No One Has to Die - 1 hours [Web Browser, Feb. 10th]
# I played this a couple years ago, and decided to play it again after I saw it jump into my youtube feed from a LP I subscribe to. Its a short, sweet little story with the primary mechanics being choice divergence. Its in the same realm as games like Zero Escape. I won't say too much, since anyone who wants to try it can google its location and jump in easily.

Original Post

jb1234

Game 9 - Ys: Memories of Celceta - Started 2/5/15, finished 2/10/15 - 16 hours

With this game finished, I have completed all available Ys games (with the exception of V, which I tried and hated). Part of me wishes I had played them the other way around, as I started with Oath in Felghana (the best) and finished with VII and Celceta, perfectly fine games but not really up to par. I was especially disappointed by VII, which I played on Hard difficulty and unlike previous games, the bosses just became HP sponges that weren't fun to kill because the battles lasted forever.. There was a ton of dialogue from characters I didn't care about and the story was loaded with JRPG cliches. Even worse, the party system wasn't nearly as much fun as solo Adol in the previous games.

The good news is that Celceta is a better game, with a more effective story and the characters, while being one-dimensional are perfectly likable. My complaints with the battle system stand, especially noticeable since I played on Normal and the game was unfortunately a joke, difficulty-wise. Dungeons were very hit and miss, with most of them following a simple formula. I was pleasantly surprised by the final dungeon, which had some interesting (if infuriating) puzzles and an imaginative look. But as most everyone has pointed out, the ending is disappointing. I still had a good time and the music was rocking as always (although not up to the level of the best Ys games) but I'll be looking forward to replaying Oath on a higher difficulty.

Original post

smaesEk.png

15h-ish. Did everything save for the collectibles. I think playing Assassin's Creed parallels Desmond's experience pretty well: you get dropped into an awesome world where you are told to do awesome things with little to no explanation. It gets old really, really fast, but suddenly everything starts making sense and you start having fun. Then bam, cliffhanger out of nowhere and roll credits.

Updated OP

Fugu

Original Post

Game 3: Super Mario 3D World
Wii U, 2013
10 hours

This was a very hit-and-miss game for me. On the one hand, it's a pretty enjoyable single-player game despite being an isometric platformer -- I haven't yet played an isometric platformer that I felt controlled especially well, and SM3DW is no exception -- with a huge variety of levels and some of the best graphics available on a Nintendo console. The design of the levels is unquestionably good throughout, and the side stuff, especially the star gauntlets, is all fun. There's a good difficulty gradient, although things never get particularly difficult.

On the other hand, you've got a game that was clearly designed for multiplayer but simply doesn't function in an enjoyable way in multiplayer. It suffers from a lot of the same trappings as Little Big Planet (which I consider to be a far superior game), like the tendency for players that fall behind to snowball due to a lack of momentum and the fact that it's basically impossible to co-ordinate the passage of everyone at once through the tougher stages, resulting in at least one person becoming dead weight (and, occasionally, a lives black hole). What makes SM3DW especially flawed though is that, unlike LBP, to progress in SM3DW you have to explore to find the stars and all it takes is one game over or one player running just a little bit too far ahead for a star to be missed forever. To actually put the effort in to get all of the stars as a group drains all of the momentum out of the experience so I gave up on that idea pretty quickly, and needless to say, I didn't get a lot of stars on the levels that I played multiplayer; furthermore, most of my companions simply didn't enjoy the experience because they spent a lot of it running around chaotically, grasping at a chance to contribute. I ended up having to redo most of the levels cleared in multiplayer by myself because I'd missed so many stars that I wasn't able to proceed through the game. I honestly wonder if anyone was able to make the 180 star requirement at the end of the game on a purely multiplayer playthrough.

Because it's such a big part of the attraction, it's really hard to ignore that SM3DW's multiplayer didn't really work for me. But the single-player was enjoyable enough so it would be unfair of me to say that I didn't like the game. I found it staggeringly similar to Sonic 3D Blast, right down to the emphasis on hunting for objects around the stage to advance. Fortunately for me, I enjoyed Sonic 3D Blast and so too did I enjoy its bizzare spiritual sequel.

3/5

Game 4: Ninja Baseball Batman
Arcade, 1993
1.5 hours

There is a long and uninteresting story about how two of my friends and I came to play and beat this game but it begins with a youtube video, and I'd advise anyone reading this that isn't familiar with the game to watch this video and see for yourself.

There isn't much to say about the game itself other than that it's a really, really good looking early nineties beat-em-up that is nonetheless pretty dull to play. The three of us got through the whole game without using any sense of co-ordination or intelligence, and, while it cost us a few more credits this way than it may have if we were actually decent at the game, two of the three of us left with the impression that we weren't exactly missing much by not exploring any deeper.

1/5

Kifimbo

header.jpg

Game 7: Rayman Origins (PC) - 11 hours
Next best thing after the Mario games if you like platformers. Gorgeous, mostly well designed, great gameplay. Wish there was more enemy variety, and the "puzzles" at the end of each level aren't really puzzles. Will probably play again eventually for the time trials.

header.jpg

Game 8: 100% Orange Juice (PC) - 4 hours
First game of the year I didn't finish. First game of the year I didn't like. In fact, I hate it. It's basically RNG: The Game. At least with bad board games, it's still possible to have fun with friends, drinks and food around the same table. With 100% Orange Juice, whatever you do, whatever cards you choose, you'll win about 1/4 of the games. Barely any strategy/skills involved. It's basically Eels and Escalators where each game last 30-40 minutes

Original post.

Hikami

100% Orange Juice [...]
First game of the year I didn't like. In fact, I hate it.
Haha, I had the same reaction to it when I played it last month. The game is just frustrating and hard to enjoy in singleplayer.
If you can though, try playing with friends/multiplayer. That made the game actually fun for me. (Even though it was just still 100% RNG)

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
OK, I'll give this a try, since this year has been really good in my gaming side. My wall of shame:

Game 1: VOLGARR THE VIKING (CAPS BECAUSE GUARRRRR) - 40 hours (I can finish it in 35 minutes now...)
WOA! This game is so awesome! I never was a hardcore gamer, I always played in normal mode; but this game, THIS FUCKING GAME, slowly taught me how bad I was at games and each time I played I got a little better at it; I still can't do a no die run, but with 7 lives and 35 minutes I can finish it normally, and with 12 or so deaths in hard mode. One of the best games I've played in my whole life, puts to shame the old arcade games it's inspired on.

You will feel manly through the whole game, from the shout at the beginning, until you get a fire sword, or defeating a boss that has you naked, everything about this game screams testosterone, and in a good way.

The game is built in a speed run way, so it's a good idea to watch speed runs of levels, to see the real beauty of this game, which I consider masterfully done, true gaming art.

What I really love about it is that you have time to breath, each death is your fault, there are no cheap medusa heads here, no monsters spawns were you are, collision detection is perfect and you are in control the whole time. 10/10 one of the best games ever made.

Game 2: La Mulana - 50 hours or so
OMG! Another awesome one!, Don't think of this as a Metroidvania, because this one will make you cry. Seriously. Gameplay is good (although it has a HUGE learning curve) and monsters are not too bad. Bosses are bitches though, but still, when you learn a pattern, they are defeated easily. What make this game so hardcore, is that you have to practically map and take notes of the whole thing to figure out puzzles; stages connect themselves to each other and the puzzles are incredibly hard, unfair even (some old PC adventure games logic here...), and you'll often solve a puzzle by chance first and then understand what the game was trying to hint you about. I used a guide when stuck, and I'm not ashamed of it. Great game, you'll need the 50 hours though, this game is packed with content. This fucking game didn't let me sleep, because I thought of the riddles while sleeping, and had to come back and try some thing.

If you beat this on your own, I salute you.

Game 3: Hydra Castle Labyrinth (Freeware, AKA La Mulana for babies) - 3 hours
Great freeware game, very easy if you fully explore the starting area. The only problem is that it crashes, A LOT; thankfully the game will save in every room, so if it crashes, you will start at that room, but this can mean having to redo a puzzle or having to defeat a boss; still the game is too good to skip. Download it now folks.

Game 4: Toki Tori - 12 hours
Great puzzle game, but I think it's too difficult for it's own good, it's like it doesn't have a middle ground, or too easy or too difficult.

Game 5: Toki Tori 2+ - 12 hours or so
This is the game that sunk this developer, and you can see why, the production values are through the roof. The game is great, there is no text, everything is explained to you via gameplay, which makes it great. Still, it is one big world filled with puzzles, so it's not focused like the first one, and some puzzles are just too annoying to restart when you screw up; but it's a great game. Also, don't try to play this with an Xbox 360 controller, because it recognizes no dead zone, meaning you'll move without stopping, and there are no controller options (or options of any kind really).

Game 6: Mutant Blobs Attack - 4 hours
An OK platformer, nothing great about it, very very easy; a lot of fun, you are a small blob that absorbs things, and you keep growing through the game until you are gigantic.

Game 7: Octodad Dadliest Catch - 5 hours
This is like a 3D QWOP adventure game; and it's great. The best thing about it is the presentation, from the theme song which is INCREDIBLE; this games has charm written all over it, and the best part IMO is that it doesn't overstay it's welcome. You'll be laughing your ass off the whole game.

Game 8: ArkhamShadow of Mordor - 30 hours
WB took the Batman engine and slapped LOTR all over it (I wonder if they'll keep doing this with other franchises, like with the LEGO games); and it's great. Bow and Arrows are by far the best weapons, and stealth is the best part; great game, a little too long for my tastes, bloated if you may say so.

Game 9: Last Inua - 3 hours
Short indie puzzle platformer. Good story, meh gameplay, thankfully it's short.

Game 10: Hell Yeah! - 9 hours
This is basically Happy Tree Friends the game, presentation is awesome, gameplay is... serviceable I guess. Fun game, a little too long; and too many bosses (101), so there is a lot of repetition.

Game 11: Chronology - 2 hours
Puzzle platformer, great graphics, easy puzzles and short.

Game 12: Treasure Adventure Game (Free on GOG) - Good end 7 hours
This game is so slow, I hate that; character is slow, sailing is slow, even warping is slow. Otherwise, a good Metroidvania game, nothing special IMO; some good stages, some awful and really long ones, bosses are fun and it's a good change that you are not overpowered, in fact, you are really weak and your main attack sucks, so you have to find creative ways to get past enemies and fighting bosses. Fun, but I'm glad it's over.

Game 13: Valdis Story: Abyssal City - Quit after 8 hours, at final boss
This is another Metroidvania game; this one has levels, skill trees, a ton of loot, different characters, different styles with each character, different stories, searching for treasure, searching for lost NPCs, new armor, weapons, attacks, etc. Sounds good, but my problem with this is the loot first; I have to go and kill a ton of demons, angels or ferals so they drop the loot I need to buy stuff; leveling is limited so I have to plan a path to upgrade my character.
The game is still fun, stages are often great and the move upgrades are really intelligently done, and I really enjoyed it, but the final boss is a pain in the ass (not difficult), and I refuse to waste my precious and scarce gaming time to fight him.

Game 14: You have to win the game - 3 hours
A game like VVVVVV, with the difference that here you'll aquire some new moves (double jump, etc) as you progress. A nice free game for those looking for challenging platforming.

Game 15: Wonder Boy in Monster World - 6 hours
Now this was a surprise; I bought the $2 Genesis pack with more than 50 games (it's basically an emulator with roms, but hey! it's legal!) from Amazon the other day, and this was a gem. Holds up really well IMO, very playable and great music. Great game.

Main post

Game 5: Valiant Hearts: The Great War (PS4) - 9 hours [2/10/15] ★★★½
vh_logo_zpsiwyzp592.png

Completed the game, found all of the historical items. The game glitched out on me at some point and didn't unlock any trophies for most of the last chapter, which I'm a little annoyed about.

Anyways, neat adventure game with some pretty cool puzzles. Though I wish there was more of that and less of the "dodge bombs and gunfire" levels, which weren't much fun. It's a well-told story for the most part, and strikes an interesting balance between providing a sense of hopefulness during a grim period of time, while also being emotionally effective when it needs to be. I was prepared for a sad ending, but it still really hit me pretty hard with the way it played out.

Wensih

Original Post

Game 8: Luftrausers -
Started: 2/7/15
Finished: 2/7/15

GgRBfUv.png

I absolutely hate this game. Luftrausers is the most frustrating game I've played in some time. The game's art style is very unique, and I can respect that. I very much liked how the game looked aside from its odd design choice when it comes to people. In-game however, everything looks great! I really like how your plane, which can be customized with various parts, has weight to it and feels somewhat realistic. The sound, also, sounds very nice, and has some style to it. You can level up in the game, up to level 10. For each level you receive new equipment for your fighter plane. I found that the number of different types of equipment could have been increased, but there is enough here to make everything feel different. All of this is fine. This is not the problem of the game. What makes me mad is just one simple side mission and trophy: Kill a blimp. The blimps in Luftrausers spawn on some algorithm that even the internet can not figure out, and I sure as Hell didn't. In some 100 or so attempts, I came across a blimp a total of 2 times. The other 98 percent of the time I was dealing with the random number of enemies, and random types of enemies which spawn in and sometimes just get ridiculous. On Vita, there were occasions when there were so many enemies, the frame rate suffered to an extent that I could no longer control my plane and died. Beating the minimum threshold of score needed to spawn the blimp, 7,000 to 8,000 close to 75 percent of the time, I still could not not spawn in that damn blimp, and even when I did, I got ABSOLUTELY WRECKED. I don't even know how it's possible for someone to get every mission in this game completed with RNG like this, and I won't be one to find out. Luftrausers is a fun game, but for what I wanted to accomplish, it was terribly frustrating and repetitive. While the frustration can be blamed largely on me, I'd assume just about anybody would get bored considering the game is practically the same level over and over. Most people should try this game, but only a small amount of it.

Hours Played : 4

Overall Score : 3.5 (Personal) / 6.5 (General)

"Play it for an hour and don't even try to kill a blimp"

You can spawn blimps by destroying tougher enemies. Try destroying a few Battleships and the Aces. I think if you destroy 2-3 battleships the blimp shows up.

theecakee

Nine_Hours,_Nine_Persons,_Nine_Doors_Cover_Art.jpg

02: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
★★★☆☆

Everyone always described how the ending was a complete mind fuck, it was pretty interesting but I definetely didn't feel like "holy shit what just happened". I don't really feel like talking about it though, because I don't really have much to say on it. I may hold off now on picking up VLR. The game just stretched on and on, I even skipped two of the standard endings and felt like it was too long, so that may be why I didn't really enjoy the true ending as much.

Don't know yet what I'll be playing next, I'll decide next week.

smisk

Well it's only February and I'm already behind... But I'm in the middle of several games so hopefully I can power through a couple this weekend.

Game 1: Mass Effect(PC) - Beaten 1/15/15
Finally got around to starting this series. Graphics hold up really well, especially with HD texture mod. Really liked how well fleshed out the universe and lore were, and was impressed by the story and voice acting. However, I found the combat pretty clunky and it started to be a drag partway through the game. Still very much enjoyed it overall and would reccomend to sci-fi and RPG fans.

Game 2: SteamWorld Dig(PC) - Beaten 1/22/15
Great indie platformer/metroidvania type game. Loved the artstyle, exploring and mining underground was really enjoyable and relaxing. Cool powerups keep things from getting stale and it was challenging without being frustrating for the most part.

Game 3: Star Wars: Battlefront II(PC) - Beaten 2/11/15
Pretty great Battlefield-esque Star Wars games. It has some flaws like dumb AI but as a huge Star Wars fan I can forgive it. Beat the main campaign which has a pretty cool story, following the 501st legion during the Clone Wars through to the Empire. Gives you the experience of being a grunt in the Star Wars universe better than any other game, and the inclusion of heroes is pretty cool too. Also has some cool mods that are well worth checking out and add replayability to the game.

Game 4: Monument Valley(Android) - Beaten 2/13/15
I was debating whether or not I should include mobile games on here... But this feels more like an actual game than most, so I decided to include it. I played this beautiful little game over the course of a month or more, whenever I had a spare few minutes. It's a puzzle game that involves rotating and manipulating 3D levels to move the character to the goal, which can involve things like changing the perspective of the level to connect a bridge. It's never really challenging, but the art, music and level design are amazingly presented and worth the price of admission. Easily one of the best games I've played for a mobile device.

Game 5: Mass Effect 2(PC) - Beaten 2/23/15
I'm really enjoying the Mass Effect games so far and ME2 is a fantastic continuation of the series. Although I was initially worried about the stripped down RPG elements compared to the first game, I quickly forgot my concerns after getting immersed in the universe and meeting some of the great characters. Although the main plot falls a little flat in some areas, Bioware's greatest strength is in the characters individual interactions, which really shine.
The tedious and clunky combat of Mass Effect has been greatly improved in the sequel(lack of customization aside) to the point that it feels like a proper third-person shooter. This made the combat sections and the overall game a much more enjoyable experience.

Dr. Buni

Original Post

Game #10: Metroid Prime

8L4VK3W.png

For starters, I forgot how frustrating the platforming in Metroid Prime is. I am yet to play a first person game with good platforming, aside from MAYBE Mirror's Edge. The fact the enemies can knock Samus from the platforms is so annoying. Negativity aside, the game is amazing. Fantastic gameplay, amazing soundtrack, fun bosses (Thardus, Flaahgra, Omega Pirate and the final boss in special), gorgeous landscapes, etc. One of the best games in the series, although I am not sure if I would rank Prime over Echoes and Corruption.

Axass

First two games of the month, EarthBound is this year's Metroid Prime for me: a game I thought I had abandoned during its final phases, but that I found out having actually beaten the first time around, fact I had somehow forgotten. *facepalm*

Game 9: EarthBound [replay] - 4/5 - around 30 hours (09/02/15)
uwAbLPr.jpg

Beat Giygas. This game is amazing for many reasons: enemies fleeing from you and being automatically killed when your level is high enough, the very fact the enemies can be seen in an age when random encounters were still the norm, the rolling stats in battle (best innovation of the game, it gives a sence of rhythm and urgency to the battles), the weird approach to battles itself, with enemies going for unusual actions, while friends have crazy techniques and items, besides the whole setting was and still is incredibly unique and the plot is bonkers (in a good way). However that comes at a price: some of those innovations end up hindering the player more than they should, that happens with the ATM, the hospital system, the delivery service and the very limited inventory, micro-managing that stuff becomes a chore after a while; also, the second half of the game, after you leave the big cities, is badly paced, with too much incessant fighting and too little NPC interactions. Another gripe I have is that the batttles are kind of boring and just too hard until you get the third member of the team.

This game is:

-------------

Game 10: Super Time Force Ultra - 4/5 - 11:49 hours (11/02/15)
header.jpg

Completed the campaign, the holodeck, got all collectibles and characters. I love games that try to fuck with my mind, the whole time rewinding plus clones mechanic is excuted excellently, collectibles are fun to get and require skills and timing (especially in the well crafted holodeck challenges), the characters are a lot and almost all unique and interesting to use, each with its own quirk, having to actually save them to use them is a nice added touch. The pixel graphics are phenomenal, with an unusual attention to detail, it really feels like a moving cartoon, the story is pretty much nonsensical, the settings awesome; the whole game is very pop-culture inspired and sometimes it goes overboard, ending up in the silly zone, the opening and ending cutscenes in particular go on just too much.

This game is:

Nete

Original post

darkforceswxubm.png

#12: Dark Forces (PC)
4 hours

This is a game usually eclipsed by its sequels when it comes to "good Star Wars games", and it's a shame as it's truly fantastic on its own. Brilliant atmosphere, great gameplay, good and tricky level designs (God, how I miss those years when instead of an ocasional puzzle in a level, the level itself WAS the puzzle), satisfying weapons... everything a good old FPS needs is here.

And Stormtroopers yelling at you "STOP, REBEL SCUM" never gets old.
★★★★☆

kotorefudl.png

#13: Knights of the Old Republic (PC)
22 hours

I shouldn't have replayed this game. My first (and only until now) playthrough was on its release on Xbox, and it was good as you may expect. But on this occasion it didn't work so well. I've found the game much more tedious and sloppy than it was on my memories, and the UI is a fucking mess on the "managing things" side. It's still a good game, a great game actually, but the letdown has been huge. I've even been tempted to abandon the game a couple times, although at the end I just rushed it, ignoring tons of side quests.

Hell, it even almost killed my desire to replay Kotor 2, this time with the restoration mod. Almost.
★★★☆☆. Back in the day was a clear ★★★★★

Game #5 - Persona Q : Shadow of the Labyrinth
Time: Approx 57+ hours

20140610115033!PersonaQBoxart.jpg

I only started playing this game after the beginning of the month, but I was hooked on it for a while. Kept coming back to it in between my school work, and sinking in as much time as I could. I had never played an Etrian Odyssey game before, so I wasn't really sure what to expect from this game. At first I found the gameplay systems kinda fun and interesting, but over the course of the game, they did start to wear pretty thin. The rate of enemy encounters, and the rate at which your characters gain experience felt tedious and exhausting by the time I got to the last 2 dungeons. So while I may have not had the most fun actually playing it by the time it was over, I still enjoyed the experience.

Persona 4 is one of my top favorite games, and to play another RPG with those characters made the experience worth it for me. I've never been a big fan of Persona 3 though...but this game at least made the characters more likeable than they were before to me. I could tell the writing and production of this game was handled by Atlus, because it sure did have their level of quality for story, writing and music, it's just the gameplay itself didn't quite live up to their standard to me.

I thought the new characters introduced in this were also quite well done and likeable.
I almost felt I could have predicted that the story involved some tragedy with Rei, but it was still well executed. I felt real sad at the end when her and Zen walked off together. I'm real bummed though that none of the P3 and P4 characters remember the events...sure it doesn't make sense for them to remember for continuity sake, but it almost seems tragic that they forget Rei and their experience meeting her. That was kinda the thing she was upset about, that her live had no meaning. She brought so much to them, but for the memory of her to be gone after the event seems sad. At least Zen was with her I guess.

I might pick this up again one day and play from the P3 side. Not sure how different of an experience that would be, but it felt like a worthy Persona game to me, despite it's flaws.

Dr. Buni

Original Post

Game #11: Mirror's Edge

bGneFXi.png

I should have finished it in 2014, but I lost my save file and lost all motivation to keep playing it. I restarted it this year and just finished it a couple minutes ago. Fun game. I love how colorful it is and at the same time, I hate the massive amount of shiny white buildings there is in the game. Even after activating f.lux, I still got a couple headaches when playing Mirror's Edge. The plot of the game is okay at best, it is there only as an excuse for Faith to jump from building to building. The music isn't that great and only plays in certain occasions, most of them time you only listen to SFXs. Overall, I enjoyed my time with the game.

JTripper

Original Post

Game 9 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS): Story Completed on 2/12/15, 21 Hours
- My most embarrassing gamer secret used to be that I never beat OoT, but now I did. I really enjoyed it. Not sure if it's my favorite Zelda game, but it's a damn good one. I remember reaching a certain temple years ago and stopping, but on this playthrough I really enjoyed every dungeon, water and shadow being my favorites. The game also doesn't make the unfortunate mistake of other Zelda games by having you repeat dungeons or backtrack a ton. The dungeons are well designed, the story is good, gameplay is great on 3DS, and I'm glad I finally took the time to give it complete playthrough. Now onto Majora's Mask 3D!

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Original post

Game 12: Treasure Adventure Game (Free on GOG) - Good end 7 hours

This game is so slow, I hate that; character is slow, sailing is slow, even warping is slow. Otherwise, a good Metroidvania game, nothing special IMO; some good stages, some awful and really long ones, bosses are fun and it's a good change that you are not overpowered, in fact, you are really weak and your main attack sucks, so you have to find creative ways to get past enemies and fighting bosses. Fun, but I'm glad it's over.

GLuigi

Original Post

Game #7: Citizens of Earth (3DS) - 22 Hours
Best way to describe this game is a low tier Earthbound game. Honestly, this could of been a decent game that brings back some of the great gameplay elements from Earthbound and sort of builds upon it. Right away, I was overwhelmed with the amount of potential party members they show you right off the bat. I couldn't wait to start recruit each and every one of them. Unfortunately, what made me wish the game to end quickly is the amount of bugs and crashes i encountered while playing it. Sort of got fed up, and just try to finish the game as quickly as possible. At its current state, I can't really recommend it. (At least until a patch goes up)

Playing through Earthbound right now. Might start the Ace Attorney HD Trilogy, depends how addicted i will get playing Monster Hunter 4.

StingX2

0GfuBt4.jpg

Beaten Game #17 Rogue Legacy (Vita) - 15 Hours
(Started 2/3/15 / Finished 2/12/15)

Beaten at 199 Heirs! The game has a lot of potential for a sequel because it really didn't exhaust any idea. It only uses a few traits positive or negative that heirs can receive, you can do a lot more easily with classes and abilities as well. A very fun game though and very unique.

OG Post

eot

Banned
Game 9: Lovely Planet - 3.5 hours, Feb 13th
This game was exactly what I expected it to be and for the most part I enjoyed it a lot. My only issue with it is that the later levels get a little cheap in the way they increase the difficulty. For example having to basically blind fire into the fog on the fourth world to destroy the apples in time, or being dead 250ms after going through a teleporter. I didn't get frustrated by it, I just didn't find the challenge to be rewarding. I enjoyed the chill flow of the first three worlds more.

Game 6 – Prey (X360) (Started in 2014)
What a weird game. It was okay.

Game 7 – infamous: First Light (PS4)
I wasn’t a fan of Second Son nor this. Pretty game though.

Game 8 – Heavy Rain (PS3) (Started in 2013)
I thought Beyond and Fahrenheit were better. The controls were really bad.

Original post.

Arion

Original Post

Game 10: Crimzon Clover World Ignition - 3 hours
Challenging and fun shoot'em up game. Double break mode is really satisfying to use.

Game 11: Valiant Hearts The Great War - 6 hours
The best educational game I have ever played. I learned a lot about the WWI while also enjoying a decent game. The game does a good job of portraying some of the horrors of war while still being somewhat lighthearted. The UbiArt engine is capable of some amazing visuals as parts of the game were absolutely gorgeous. The story had some very touching moments and the music was fantastic. However all the puzzles were too simple and parts of the game were a little boring.

Game 12: Gravity Ghost - 3 hours
A unique puzzle platformer with some very neat mechanics. It is a very surreal game yet also very grounded.

jiggles

Banned
Original Post

Game 16: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney HD
16tpu0j.png

Not exactly doing favors for my backlog by finishing bad versions of games I've already finished before. The artwork and animation were a real let-down and the sound just didn't come off as well out of the iPad speakers as the DS ones. Plus, the text speed cues were all removed and the whole thing felt unresponsive as hell. With it being the only Ace Attorney game I've already beaten more than once, the story didn't really hold up all that well when I wasn't trying to figure stuff out. I was just going through the motions and was pretty bored the whole way through. But now it's out of the way I can move on to the others in the trilogy, which I barely remember now. One thing, though, I didn't do the Rise From The Ashes case. My only interest is to play through the original trilogy.
If you like Danganronpa, you'll like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom