• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Demo Gameplay (XB1 & PS4 demos), Battle System, Night & Map Shown

I don't think they did, in the 2013 trailer during the Iron Giant co-op attack sequence, I laughed my ass off because Noctis tries to pick up the Giants' sword by himself, which to me showed how he has a tendency to overestimate himself.

I love how Gladio proceeds to just raise that by himself.

He's the kinda guy that can suplex a train *hint hint*

He hadn't even received his eyes in the demo yet.

The conversation from 2011 is after he gets hold of his new power, presumably the eyes.

I thought he had gained the ability to "see the light of expiring souls" when he was really young, where a near death experience kinda caused it.

Turin

Banned
I liked him since I saw a subtitled video of him talking to Stella.

I always thought he would just be Cloud again until I saw that.

To be fair though, original Cloud =/= the mope we saw in Advent Children.

I wasn't insinuating that you don't like him. I was just wondering because I was thinking about what makes a protagonist generic. Sorry if I came off as being patronizing.

It's cool.

And generic is whatever we've become overly familiar with. With that said, it's possible to take old character elements and still create someone that seems fresh and interesting.

Dark_castle

We took Kingdom Hearts combat, removed multiple button combos, decreased the speed by 50% to add Uncharted animations, and then took all the magic and abilities in Type-0 and swapped it out with swords and only one playable character.

Sounds great.

What the fuck do you mean by multiple button combo? If you mean tapping the attack button to do normal attack, you CAN still absolutely do it here. Magic is not the demo, but will be in the final game, abilities? Noctis's weapons grant him various abilities you can use in battles, including the Dragoon Jump. Each individual weapon has their own abilities too, and Noctis can equip up to 8(?) at a time. Then there is Phantom Swords, which is like Sora's Limit Form, with their ex-abilities? And group combo? Don't forget there is also summons, which are a huge deal in this game. One playable character, hmmmm, let's see, sounds like motherfucking Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

And no jumping, no movement based dodging, movement in general has been greatly reduced. Then the combat speed has just been sucked out of it. I understand FFXV is a different game, it just doesnt look like a better one.

I know some has responded, but yes, there is jumping. Not only have we seen Noctis do some of airborne downward slash that deals extra damage than ordinary attack, it's been confirmed that there are aerial combo altogether, it's just that they aren't fully polished and are still development, so they won't be in the demo. If you still doubt that, we've seen it partially in action here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md7GhVH3vUg

We actually saw movement based dodging before in one of the presentation during TGS, while we know Guard can evade attacks automatically, they do consume MP, and not all attacks can actually be blocked, so you probably have to do manual dodge roll with shift, a kind of warp movement. Not to mention there is a timing-based evasion technique, in the form of parry. You need to time it well against enemy's target but you are rewarded with an opening for counter-attack, and group combo and bonus EXP. Otherwise, huge damage is incurred. There's a risk vs reward element there. While general movement is slower, don't forget you also have a warp button that helps speed around the battlefield, and eventually lets you fight enemies airborne like in E3 2013.

You keep forgetting that a lot of footage pertaining to the battle system is still very much WIP and more importantly they are very early in the game. We don't even know the full picture yet of the game's other auxiliary systems and you've slapped a doom sticker on it.

Yeah, but the 2011 trailer and the scans from a week ago suggest otherwise.

What did the new scans say? I thought i saw them..

How does the trailer from 2011 not suggest that he has had the ability for a while? Stella straight up asks him if he can see the light essentially, and this is super early in game it seems (at that point who knows if the scene is still in XV)

ibvasq7TXlbHKH.gif

I never noticed till now but these things are kind of terrifying.

Also I imagine this is how Tonberries will gank you.

Right? I keep expecting it to happen.

I also just noticed that the Robot was also short-circuiting while stunning Noctis. Small detail but it's the little things that add up.
He also kills himself with that move.

That scene is pretty awesome.

To be fair though, original Cloud =/= the mope we saw in Advent Children.
original Cloud = Cloud during the last 3rd of the game?

He's presumably mopey since the CC period, and all the way until Tifa helps him out during the flashback and stuff.

He has a lot of character development (which I love), but I don't think it's wrong to say that original Cloud is the same one we see in stuff like KH or Dissidia (he's actually optimistic in Dissidia though).

It's Noctis freaking out with a confused face and the magazine caption speculating why it mysteriously appears and what it means.

Oh ok I did see that. But I think in the 2011 trailer he is just repressing it. I think he knows he has the ability but doesn't want it or to even acknowledge it.

Turin

Banned

He's presumably mopey since the CC period, and all the way until Tifa helps him out during the flashback and stuff.

He has a lot of character development (which I love), but I don't think it's wrong to say that original Cloud is the same one we see in stuff like KH or Dissidia (he's actually optimistic in Dissidia though).

Cloud definitely becomes more thoughtful after his brief loss of sanity but he never came off as sulky or excessively withdrawn.

Also, I personally don't accept that Crisis Core crap. Zack wasn't exactly jumping for joy in the PS1 game either.

wmlk

Huh... I must have missed something major then lol. I thought I had caught everything. Where is this at?

At the 2011 trailer during the gameplay sections. It's the dialogue.

I'm just speculating that he's talking about the new powers that he receives that are connected to his eyes.

Obviously, the dialogue is different from when he talks to Stella, so there's a disconnect there that we don't know much about.

At the 2011 trailer during the gameplay sections. It's the dialogue.

I'm just speculating that he's talking about the new powers that he receives that are connected to his eyes.

Obviously, the dialogue is different from when he talks to Stella, so there's a disconnect there that we don't know much about.

Hmm I just rewatched it. It has been awhile and with the dialogue between his party it becomes more evident that its a new power. Since they kinda straight up say it. But I wonder how he gets it. Maybe he still got the power originally when he was younger and like awoke in him at that time for whatever reason?

And I think VSXIII is still very much alive in the XV. The beginning of the E3 2013 trailer takes some cuts from the beginning of this trailer and the airships have the same exact design and a couple other things that seem like the original vision could still mainly be in place.

Cloud definitely becomes more thoughtful after his brief loss of sanity but he never came off as sulky or excessively withdrawn.

Also, I personally don't accept that Crisis Core crap. Zack wasn't exactly jumping for joy in the PS1 game either.

Zack never really had a personality in those flashbacks. They couldn't just make him a blank slate for CC.

But if you don't remember how bad Cloud was, at the beginning of the game he literally keeps going about how he doesn't care about Shinra, Barret or the rest of the world. (also, he doesn't care that Barret has to pay him with the money he would use for Marlene's schooling).

People think he's more mopey than he is because of his VA.

Mortemis

Banned
And no jumping, no movement based dodging, movement in general has been greatly reduced. Then the combat speed has just been sucked out of it. I understand FFXV is a different game, it just doesnt look like a better one.

...I don't get it. You should compare the demo to early game KH2. You know, the time where Sora's jump is short and kinda weird, he can't even dodge at all until you level up your drive forms, etc.

I get that the combat rubs you the wrong way, it kinda does for me, but I'm more conflicted about how almost every blow has the slow down boom rather than how limited early game Noctis is or how unlike KH it is. For all we know he'll end up as a flying god late game.

I just hope later gameplay still has this crazy fighting verticality:
1371012296-general-attack-command.gif

I mentioned this before but daaaamn.

He also kills himself with that move.

That scene is pretty awesome.

Cloud wasn't really mopey at all. Since CC's ending up until the end of Disc 1, Cloud's a confident smart-ass jerkhole. He's only mopey a brief amount of time compared to the rest of the game. And what we know about Cloud as a child is that he was basically a normal kid who aspired to be great and impress Tifa.

Can't stand the compilation myself.

Completely misses the tone of the original game.

The "newer" take on the FFVII mythos(as started with Advent Children) was the MAIN reason I was not liking Versus during it's initial reveal(way back when). Seriously, I've said this before, back then, FFXIII looked more appealing than Versus XIII did. Versus looked like, to me back then(channeling my mindset regarding Square at the time), yet another AC wannabe with a mopey hero who's "I'm sooo cool with my abilities, but I'm still all emo about shit!", lots of moody dark colors and such. Really, I HATED that. Funny how my opinion on FFXIII and this(now FFXV) has done a COMPLETE 180.

Turin

Banned
Zack never really had a personality in those flashbacks. They couldn't just make him a blank slate for CC.

But if you don't remember how bad Cloud was, at the beginning of the game he literally keeps going about how he doesn't care about Shinra, Barret or the rest of the world. (also, he doesn't care that Barret has to pay him with the money he would use for Marlene's schooling).

I'll give you that about Zack.

Yeah, Cloud was definitely a bit of an asshole early on in FF7. That came off as mopey to you? He was also sarcastic in a dry sense.

I agree the VA didn't do him any favors or the way they designed him in the movie. I could buy that Cloud was depressed following the events of FF7 but the way they did it was excessive in my viewing.

Cloud wasn't really mopey at all. Since CC's ending up until the end of Disc 1, Cloud's a confident smart-ass jerkhole. He's only mopey a brief amount of time compared to the rest of the game. And what we know about Cloud as a child is that he was basically a normal kid who aspired to be great and impress Tifa.
CC period is when he fails to become Soldier. That's when he starts being like that (sure, he's mopey AND a jerk, but he still mopes). It took quite a while for his attitude toward Tifa to stop being "no, I'm leaving"; "I don't care about that", etc.

AC did weird stuff (mainly because that's supposed to be after the main game, so wtf is Cloud doing going back to his old self), but he was mopey in the beginning, people just realized it once he got the most monotone VA in all of gaming.

I'll give you that about Zack.

Yeah, Cloud was definitely a bit of an asshole early on in FF7. That came off as mopey to you? He was also sarcastic in a dry sense.

I agree the VA didn't do him any favors or the way they designed him in the movie. I could buy that Cloud was depressed following the events of FF7 but the way they did it was excessive in my viewing.

I'm not defending AC by any means here, I'm just saying Cloud is not really the pool of positivity and happiness people seem to think he is.

Dark_castle

...I don't get it. You should compare the demo to early game KH2. You know, the time where Sora's jump is short and kinda weird, he can't even dodge at all until you level up your drive forms, etc.

I get that the combat rubs you the wrong way, it kinda does for me, but I'm more conflicted about how almost every blow has the slow down boom rather than how limited early game Noctis is or how unlike KH it is. For all we know he'll end up as a flying god late game.

I just hope later gameplay still has this crazy fighting verticality:
1371012296-general-attack-command.gif

I mentioned this before but daaaamn.

Your concern is in line with many of us here, in that the slowdown after each swing should be reduced quite a bit. Fortunately, I think that is something that can be tweaked relatively easily given enough feedback from the demo.

Turin

Banned
I'm not defending AC by any means here, I'm just saying Cloud is not really the pool of positivity and happiness people seem to think he is.

I agree with you there. He was definitely a bit grim in a way but he wasn't wearing it like a style. He could also be a smartass jerk at times or a dork at others. "Alright, everybody. Let's mosey."

My point is that AC turned him into a cliché when that wasn't who he was in FF7.

sn00zer

To basically comment on everyone who quoted me. This demo is a vertical slice and the first time consumers get their hands on it. Why give the players severely under leveled characters to play with, especially if its not a representation of the rest of the game? From what I remember almost every FF demo actually had over leveled characters for the demo areas to show off the different abilities. Hell most demos have overleveled characters specifically for this reason to show off the battle system.
Why show the worst part of your battle system for your first demo?

I agree with you there. He was definitely a bit grim in a way but he wasn't wearing it like a style. He could also be a smartass jerk at times or a dork at others. "Alright, everybody. Let's mosey."

My point is that AC turned him into a cliché when that wasn't who he was in FF7.

When he's a better character in Dissidia than in a movie, that's when you know you fucked up =P

Anyway, back to the thread, you still seem to have the little dash-teleport-thingy (the manual one), every time he does it in the video the "guard" at the bottom flashes for a second, probably meaning he went from holding to tapping the button (and there's also no attack coming at him to make him automatically dodge.

Falk

that puzzling face
From what I remember almost every FF demo actually had over leveled characters for the demo areas

FF7 demo - Cloud has 516 HP
FF8 demo - none of the party breaches 300 HP
FF13 demo - Lightning has ~800 HP
FF13-2 demo - Noel has 520 HP

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

How sure are you that Duscae sees the party at 4 digit HP in the full game?

edit: Despite burden of proof sorta being on you I went to google this up. hyperlinks added.

edit2: Quoting myself for good measure since it's still relevant as a response to your latest post

You'd be hard pressed to find a Final Fantasy demo that gives you like... Meteor, Ultima, 4x Attack, etc. nor unlocked stuff like Break Damage Limit, the final limit breaks, mime, HP<-->MP swap, or much of any other higher level functionality.

Although they're going out of the way to get a summon into the demo (at the cost of magic apparently) so... yeah.

As a demo it demonstrates
- that it's not a turn based final fantasy
- the basic moveset, including defensive abilities and offensive ones incl. linked attacks
- a summon
- quests
- the levelling/camping loop
- exploration
- a dungeon (presumably?)
- looking for loot incl. phantom swords (presumably?)

I'm not sure what else you want in the context of a demo
other than magic

SougoXIII

To basically comment on everyone who quoted me. This demo is a vertical slice and the first time consumers get their hands on it. Why give the players severely under leveled characters to play with, especially if its not a representation of the rest of the game? From what I remember almost every FF demo actually had over leveled characters for the demo areas to show off the different abilities. Hell most demos have overleveled characters specifically for this reason to show off the battle system.

Because we're been waiting for 8 years to even touch the game and a demo was a massive megaton when it was announce? They even said outright that they are cutting things to get it to fans early. It's to show that they're at least making some progress unlike the last decade.

And XIII-2's demo do not have overlevelled character at all, just showing off the Iron Giant setpiece

DeSolos

Considering they cut magic and the car because they are not up to their standards, I think there are a lot of reasons why they're only showing this much. Also, as this demo serves as a good opportunity to get feedback on the game, it's better to have a more focused playtest.

If the basics of their mechanics are terrible it's a lot easier to see when you are only working with a small subset of mechanics. This demo will give them an idea of what people think of their character movement, physical combat, and abilities. We'll be using these throughout the entire game and they should never feel like "the worst part of the game". If they feel bad, we should say so now.

edit: Despite burden of proof sorta being on you I went to google this up. hyperlinks added.

Currently have the Type-0 demo in my hands.

Rem - lv6
Nine - lv6
Queen - lv7
Ace - lv6
Sice - lv7
King - lv7
Machina - lv7

Also booted up the full game and started a new game, those are the exact levels you start at.

anaron

nah, the writing went to shit and assassinated the character

The parry-based team attacks look super cool

EnchantingElementaryGemsbok.gif

I loved everything that I saw in the demo. It also shows that the demo will have hours worth of gameplay. Can't believe less than a month is left in its release.

Turin

Banned
I'm curious how Noctis's mobility might come in handy for things like boss fights. Teleporting on top of something large in some what of a Shadow of the Colossus style seems possible.

Also, and this is just me daydreaming, imagine fighting a guy while in the middle of a slowly collapsing building. That could be cool.

When he's a better character in Dissidia than in a movie, that's when you know you fucked up =P

I have yet to play a Dissidia game. -_-

Before I die, Square! Bring it to consoles!

Falk

that puzzling face
IM confused.... are you saying Im wrong or right because at the very least the 7 and 8 demo have way more abilities than what you have in those areas normally.

How sure are you that Jump is obtainable at that point of time?

How sure are you that the summon in Episode Duscae is available to you when you reach Duscae region in the actual game?

How sure are you that you're lv999 cooking (lol) when you reach Duscae in the actual game?

Additionally

You'd be hard pressed to find a Final Fantasy demo that gives you like... Meteor, Ultima, 4x Attack, etc. nor unlocked stuff like Break Damage Limit, the final limit breaks, mime, HP<-->MP swap, or much of any other higher level functionality.

If you're telling me that FF8's demo gave a fair view of how much the Junction system could do, (broken, etc) or that FF7's demo showed everything you could do in FF7 like link Final Attack to Phoenix and HP/MP swapping, or that FF13's demo let you do broken shit like Cold Blood spam, I really don't know what to tell you.

And again, from what they've shown, we don't know how buffed Noct&co are in Episode Duscae versus in the actual game when they get to that point.

The point of discussion here is if the demo gives a fair slice of what's possible in the full game. I think it does, magic aside. You think it doesn't. That's totally fine. But you're really skewing your recollection of past Final Fantasy demos to levels of overpowered that they simply weren't.

raven777

Jump Fest trailer from December didn't seem to have all those hitstun slowdowns so it must have been added quite recently.

ThornyLastHoki.gif

And now it's
LeanVillainousCarp.gif

And when you do critical

PointlessLargeAnhinga.gif

sn00zer

FF13 demo - Lightning has ~800 HP
FF13-2 demo - Noel has 520 HP

edit2: Quoting myself for good measure since it's still relevant as a response to your latest post
one shotting enemies in the FFX demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrKQVvJ5xVk#t=132

Either way a lot of the mainline FF demos had over powered characters. Considering this is not the intro of the game and a vertical slice of an early area with little or no story ties, it is strange they decided to hinder the characters to lower levels and few abilities. Epecially if they are using this demo for feedback in the final version.

nah, the writing went to shit and assassinated the character
You say that like FFVII has good writing.

It has a good story (a great one even), but the writing was never very good.

I have yet to play a Dissidia game. -_-

Before I die, Square! Bring it to consoles!
One of his first lines is something like (after they receive the missions to look for the crystals): "I don't know... It'll be tough... But I'll handle anything that comes my way."

And again, from what they've shown, we don't know how buffed Noct&co are in Episode Duscae versus in the actual game when they get to that point.
I'm gonna do a bit of guessing here. Those weapon ranks seem to be level restrictions to use them. If that's the case, then Noctis currently has a weapon that is the same level as him (Zweihander - 15).

I don't think we'll start the game with a weapon with the same level as us (I also don't think we'll start the game at level 15). So that would mean that at least the weapons don't seem to be the initial stuff...

Top Bottom