• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Virtual Console (Wii, Wii U, 3DS), the past, present, and future

I've said this before and I'll say it again. VC needs tiered pricing. Three tiers or even two tires would work great. The asking price for stuff like Ice Climber is INSANE.

NES:
Tier 1: £2.99 (SMB3)
Tier 2: £2.49 (Balloon Fighter)
Tier 3: £1.99 (Urban Champion)

JoeM86

The VC has great potential, but third parties dont give a shit. Here we are at this point in the wiius life and even the Nintendo library is smaller due to their slowness.

The Wii built up a nice diverse library and was a great affordable introduction to stuff like tg16 or neogeo. Too bad the library got decimated by delistings and is walled off in Wii node.

Even Nintendos lack of desire to get proper versions of FX chip games is sad, a shit gba version of yoshis island doesn't cut it.

I don't think it's lack of desire.

OuterLimits

I admit I was rather disappointed with the Wii U VC since it has a weaker selection than the Wii. Fortunately they are adding more games, albeit slowly.

Granted, I get even more bummed when I turn on my PS4 and realize the fantastic selection of PS1 and PS2 games on the PS3 are all missing.

deleted

Having a rock solid VC and VC 3rd party support is way more important to me than actual 3rd party support on their next console.

Having a rock solid VC and VC 3rd party support is way more important to me than actual 3rd party support on their next console.

The only absolutely major third party absence I can think of is Square Enix. Old Square and and old Enix stuff on both the GB/C and NES/SNES would sell extraordinarily well, I think. Plus they're up in Japan

@MUWANdo

Banned
The only absolutely major third party absence I can think of is Square Enix. Old Square and and old Enix stuff on both the GB/C and NES/SNES would sell extraordinarily well, I think. Plus they're up in Japan

Sega. They published more games on the Wii VC than anyone else, including Nintendo.

Hudson also published a ton of stuff that Konami has no interest in maintaining.

Sega. They published more games on the Wii VC than anyone else, including Nintendo.

Hudson also published a ton of stuff that Konami has no interest in maintaining.

I think Sega looked at how terribly their Game Gear games on the 3DS sold and backed out of any Master System/Genesis/Mega Drive plans

@MUWANdo

Banned
I think Sega looked at how terribly their Game Gear games on the 3DS sold and backed out of any Master System/Genesis/Mega Drive plans

They should have looked at how terrible their Game Gear library is and reconsidered!

The reason stated for not doing a more traditional VC-like distribution of old Sega games on 3DS was that they didn't think re-releasing their old stuff as-is was enough to attract people and they wanted to focus on fewer releases with more bells and whistles a la their 3D conversions. I suspect that's a half-truth and they simply can't or aren't inclined to invest in the Wii U to the same degree as the Wii but I suppose we'll never know for sure.

They are putting up their GBA games, at least, and I imagine DS/Wii downloads will follow eventually.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I just wish 3DS VC wasn't so butt when it came to prices and choices. There's only nes,game gear,gameboy, and gameboy color and the majority of them all have shit prices. They could have at least put original DS games and gba games on the eshop and had them run through DS mode like the ambassador games, and everybody would have been fine with no sleep mode and save states but nope since that was supposedly Nintendo's problem.

Then again, you can get 98% of GBA games working no problem on psp through multiple gpsp builds with savestates and no frameskipping and apparently that's the same case with the current 3ds emulators releasing, so I guess it's another case of nintendo making dumb decisions again. Then on top of that there full arcade emulation on psp with cps1psp, cps2psp,mvspsp, a mame build made specifically cave shooters and a bunch of other stuff but that's not really relevant

I do like the 3D classics Sega is putting out though, can't wait for Streets of Rage 2.

Didn't M2 do the GBA Virtual Console?

Yes, which is also why GBA VC games have digital scans of the instruction manuals, M2 took it upon themselves to add the manuals which Nintendo could never be bothered to do themselves. I suspect M2 is doing N64 games as well since you can view Mario 64's instruction manual on the Gamepad.

Yes, which is also why GBA VC games have digital scans of the instruction manuals, M2 took it upon themselves to add the manuals which Nintendo could never be bothered to do themselves. I suspect M2 is doing N64 games as well since you can view Mario 64's instruction manual on the Gamepad.

M2 should just do every virtual console. GBA blows all the others out of the water with its customization options. If Nintendo doesn't get them to do all the VCs when the NX rolls around I'm going to be so disappointed. Nintendo, I love you, but your in-house emulation isn't up to snuff.

I also think M2 did the N64 VC, but we should wait for confirmation

ugly

I have a Wii with a whole bunch of awesome varied titles on it for SNES, NeoGeo etc. If I can bring them to an NX with an account system, I'll buy it.

sörine

Banned
In addition to the obvious issue with the drip feed model, Nintendo also views VC as "filler content" and so tends to plan releases around other titles or fill scheduling gaps with it. That's why North America has the fewest VC games so far despite being by far it's largest market.

And yes Adelman was bad for VC. He was a strong proponent for hanicapping the service in favor of indies. Nintendo completely torpedoed it under his leadership.

The staggered sales model isn't responsible for the dearth of games on the Wii U VC, it's the complete lack of international interest from big publishers like Square-Enix and Sega that's lead to the drop-off in content.
Square Enix's western disinterest is particularly baffling when the US is by far the biggest VC marketplace. Like 2:1 versus Japan I've been told, yet they get Secret of Mana or Bubble Bobble and we don't.

I also think M2 did the N64 VC, but we should wait for confirmation
I'm pretty sure NST is still doing N64, but I bet M2 is behind DS.

The biggest problem the VC has always had is number of potential games and that has not improved. If anything games and whole systems not be brought to Wii U suggests it is not worth a companies while to get the games re-rated etc...the revenue stream isn't there. Not to mention so many games with various issues.

If you are M2 why would you go from scanned manuals included with the VC package with to externally pdf files accessed via the web browser? That goes for the DS games as well. Not to mention the style of the manuals has changed. European GBA games were page 1-1,000,000 all included. The N64 games only include the pages for one language (not checked DS manuals yet, also can't seem to find anything other than English or French for DK64 despite the contents pages of both listing German and Italian).

Also M2 put a news update on their site when GBA VC was released saying it was their work. They have not done so here.

Also M2 put a news update on their site when GBA VC was released saying it was their work. They have not done so here.

Right, I was not claiming that they are, that's why I said "I suspect" they are but like you said we don't know that they are. IF they are, as to why they would switch to a web access format for the manuals, maybe they felt the need to keep the ROM sizes smaller than usual this time, who knows?

We need more third party games for sure. Hopefully they'll start to come out on Nes/SNES as Nintendo shifts to N64 and DS.

There are three practices Nintendo has done that really annoys me on how they have handled VC.

The release schedule is awful. Nintendo release their games at such a slow rate I cannot help care about it. The Nintendo 64 section especially was disappointing during the Wii's life cycle.

Also, I hate how the VC library from the Wii to the Wii U instantly from the consoles. We still have to wait a weekly basis for 1st party titles to be released again on the Wii U to be able to play without the regular Wii mode. And if they have released the NES or SNES game on the Wii U, you have to pay for it. I guess PS1 classics have spoiled me with the free transfer of my PS1 games from the PS3 and PSP to the Vita (beside some rare exceptions).

Recently, I am frustrated that 3DS and Wii U VC does not have cross-buy as a feature. It would be amazing if I could buy Mega Man 2 on either console and get both console copies. The Nintendo DS games seem to be such a missed opportunity in regards of this. The 3DS can run the DS natively, but DS games are only on the Wii U eShop?!

The Virtual Console is a great idea. It just has been poorly managed.

Platy

VC Arcade is the biggest lost potential .... make a partnership with capcom and release some cps1 and cps2 games there !

I was so excited when they announced that they'd start to offer Wii game downloads on the Wii U. Almost 3 months after the program started with no additional games beyond the initial 3, I'm much less excited.

Bowl0l

I was so excited when they announced that they'd start to offer Wii game downloads on the Wii U. Almost 3 months after the program started with no additional games beyond the initial 3, I'm much less excited.
I actually bought a WiiU because Nintendo (NoA) decide to add Wii games in eshop. Now i will take news related to Nintendo home console with a truckload of salt...

If they trickle, no cross buy, require upgrade payment; then fuck em. They aren't getting a dime for me on their next system.

Recently, I've been playing Super Metroid on VC on Wii U and have been enjoying it a lot. I picked it up as a Club Nintendo reward one month. The only VC titles I have bought were Earthbound (Definitely contributed to my decision to buy a Wii U) Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Mega Man 2. I have a few others as Club Nintendo rewards as well.

Honestly, if Nintendo puts Mother 3 on the VC then I will have all that I need. (Well I need Pokemon Snap but I think it will make its way soon enough.)

Imagine if the next system can play all Nintendo systems and they actually release everything from its launch and all our purchases tied to our Nintendo ID carried over. I would never need another console.

But Konami has put up Super C and Contra III, why not the original? I believe Japan has the inferior MSX version, so why can't the west get the NES version?
It was the same thing with the Wii. I wonder if it is something about the game itself or the VRC2 chip. It is a shame clear answers can't be given about these things. You've got to remember big names not coming out is quite normal for Konami as Suikoden 2 showed (thank goodness it is finally out).

OmegaFax

The infuriating thing is that regardless of how many could/should things about how Nintendo handles Virtual Console, they've been on this course for several years now with no sign of change.

I get a feeling that if there isn't another blowout announcement, N64 game releases will disappear after the ones announced (DK64 and Paper Mario). While not VC, Wii games fell silent after the first 3 in the US.

N64 and DS titles don't feel like they were introduced to drive sales. Maybe $2 upgrades are nice... there's no Club Nintendo or DPP. I think people would rather spend $10 on Amiibo or towards a new game.

Shiggy

That's interesting because NST was responsible for N64 games on GCN and on Wii.

ramparter

Banned
The Virtual Console is a great idea. It just has been poorly managed.
+1000

I remember being really excited when SMG2, DKC Returns and MP Trilogy were announced and released for 10€, Bought them all day one. It was a great value and one we haven't be used to by Nintendo.

cacildo

The Wii U virtual console sales are probably very very low..

They could be huge if the games were cheaper

If every NES game was $1, everybody would buy every game every week. Even Pinball and Urban Champion

Which is my all time biggest problem with Nintendo: people really want to give money to nintendo. But nintendo just dont know how to take it

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Which is my all time biggest problem with Nintendo: people really want to give money to nintendo. But nintendo just dont know how to take it

LOL this is true. It so many ways, Nintendo loves Nintendo more than Nintendo loves my money.

The only way I can think of to get an officially released, non-cartridge copy of Contra 1 NES is by purchasing Contra 4 DS which had it as a bonus unlockable. Really baffling how Konami releases Super C and Contra III through two VC gens but continue to leave 1 as the odd duck out.

They could be huge if the games were cheaper

If every NES game was $1, everybody would buy every game every week. Even Pinball and Urban Champion

We need tiered pricing as mentioned above, not every NES game set at $1 which is rediculous and would devalue the library, this is not an app store. Repetitive, single screen style games like Balloon Fighter and DK NES, yes, $1-2 makes sense. But $5 is more than fine for AAA titles. Expecting to get a game like SMB 3 for $1 is like thinking you should get an entire Beatles album on ITunes for a buck.

I don't think it's lack of desire.

This is kinda true in the case of the Wii. Apparently they had trouble emulating the FX chip on the Wii VC, which explains the lack of SNES Starfox and Yoshi's Island on those platforms.

...and then Nintendo let the rights to the chip lapse. So even if they DID get the emulation right for the Wii U VC we still wouldn't be able to get those games. Ugh.

Nerrel

My major complaint about the virtual console isn't the pace of releases but the quality of the emulation.

The Wii U is much better than the Wii, but it still displays every SNES and NES game wrong:
14001346425_b306029bf8_b.jpg

For whatever reason, the NES and SNES had an internal aspect ratio of 8:7 (224x256). Because this is narrower than 4:3, the image had to be stretched to be displayed on a CRT, so the original systems always displayed a wider, distorted image. This is obvious when looking at circles and squares, which turn into ovals and rectangles.

Some of the SNES games ported to the GBA, like A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island corrected this by displaying in the native 8:7. Nintendo had an easy chance to fix this again with the Wii VC, but for whatever reason didn't. The games were emulated to stretch to 4:3 still. They didn't fix it with the Wii U, either.

It's pretty bad with Metroid, since the morph ball logically shouldn't even be able to roll without wobbling all over. Zero Mission and Fusion both display the morph ball as a perfect circle, and Super Metroid also does when set to 8:7 in an emulator. Clearly, that's how it's supposed to look. On Wii U, however, it's a distorted oval:

This is the kind of thing that unofficial emulators on PC tend to solve easily by providing enough image options and enhancements to overcome almost any of the original hardware's limitations. Nintendo seems to want to avoid this sort of thing to keep the experience simple and user-friendly, but it prevents them from ever hoping to match the emulation quality of playing on PC.

The GBA VC at least took a step in the right direction with filtering and integer scaling options, but it still feels a little minimal compared to PC. If Nintendo were to offer at least integer scaling and 8:7 aspect options for the NES and SNES I may come back to Wii U to play them there, but for now SNES9x is so much better I can't go back to my VC versions.

Laws00

Sometimes I love Nintendo and soemtimes I hate Nintendo. I swear they have done nothing for Wii U wise for third party.

I had hoped they would have expanded their games from the Wii to Wii U

No fuck them.

The day Wii Virtual console ends on Wii i'm going to be pissed

Where the fuck is my Keith Courage in Alpha Zones for TurboGrafx-16

Nintendo needs to ramp up the pace of VC releases on Wii U. I am amassing quite a collection of classics but still need:

SNES: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG
N64: Mario Kart 64
DS: dozens of games.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
My major complaint about the virtual console isn't the pace of releases but the quality of the emulation.

The Wii U is much better than the Wii, but it still displays every SNES and NES game wrong:.

I feel like I just started noticing this. The games look a little fatter and blurrier on WiiUVC. Oh well.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I disagree with the notion that emulation is better on Wii U than Wii.

The original Wii VC supported 240p. The Wii U does not, not even in Wii mode.

It's not giving it away for "free" if you've already purchased it.

So everyone who bought a game on the Super Nintendo or NES should get a Wii U copy for free then, and Nintendo owes it to you to create a new emulator on their latest hardware for eternity to run these games.

Top Bottom