• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hikami

main post
--
7b97ac3bd2.jpg

Game 35: Tales of Xillia
Playtime: 47:55
Start/Finish: Apr 15th, 2015 - Apr 26th, 2015
// I bought a PS3 just for this game. It was worth it.
This is my second venture into the Tales series. I played Tales of Hearts R earlier this year and absolutely loved it, I needed more. So I went out and decided to buy a PS3 since there's a bunch of Tales games on the system that I've missed (and one even upcoming). I started my PS3 Tales with Xillia.
I was unsure at first, the combat seemed pretty boring at first since I was so used to being able to crazy aerial combos in ToHR.. But as I kept advancing the game, it just kept getting better and better.
In the end, I vastly enjoyed this game more than Hearts R except for the combat. The graphics were beautiful though limited by the PS3's resolution. The characters were all likable with each having their own complex backstories. The story was just amazing, so many plot twists all over the place, I thought the game was going to end around the 20 hour mark but it just kept going on.
I played through Jude's story. Will probably play through Milla's in the future. For now, I want to play more Tales games haha. I really want to play Xillia 2 asap but I'll probably save it for last. Gonna go through Abyss -> Symphonia -> Graces f(maybe) -> Vesperia -> Xillia 2. ..Hopefully all before Zestiria is out. Either way, I'm in love with this series after this game. Hope the rest are just as great.

StingX2

wgxcBX8.jpg

Game Beaten #41 Chronovolt (Vita)
(Started 2012? / Finished 4/27/15)

This game was given on plus some time ago and has been on my vita forever. The game is like the lovechild of Marble Blast Ultra with PoP: Sands of Time's rewind mechanic. It's a pretty hastily thrown together glitchy mess that I'd have trouble arguing if it is worth even 99 cents much less the likely 10 or 15 this is on the PS Store. The game just doesn't work and that isn't fun.

OGPost2

Jawmuncher

LTTP as I am every year. So I didn't really track the time frames for stuff I have beaten thus far. Regardless this is what I have mustered so far.

Game 1: Resident Evil Revelations 2
-While the budget shows it's still a enjoyable experience. Best part is the nod to older RE plot points.
Game 2: Resident Evil HD
-Still the king of Survival Horror even after all these years.
Game 3: Final Fantasy Type 0 HD
-Really enjoyed how all of the squad mates played differently. Not to mention the darker tone for a FF title.
Game 4: Saints Row Gat out of hell
-Thought this was pretty meh. It had just enough fun to take me to the end.
Game 5: Dying Light
-Quite the surprise Mirrors Edge with zombies works out great
Game 6: No More Heroes 2
-Not as good as the first, but still hilarious.
Game 7: Mad World
-A bit repetitive but the style and humor is tons of fun.
Game 8: Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
-Most fun I have had with a COD game in a long time.
Game 9: Infamous First Light
-Thought this was pretty weak, despite it's tries it doesn't add much to fetch's character.
Game 10: Guilty Gear Xrd
-Kind of cool that a games story mode was in essence just a movie.
Game 11: Watch Dogs
-This was quite the surprise for me after the negative talk. Really like how broken the main character is.
Game 12: Persona 4 Arena
-A nice detour but the story structure was pretty bad. Pointless replaying for other characters.
Game 13: Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
-This fixed up everything wrong about the previous. Seeing more P3 characters was great.
Game 14: Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R
-Quite fun on the vita, I-no is the worst in Arcade mode though.
Game 15: Astebreed
-Most fun I have ever had with a Shoot em up.
Game 16: Bermuda
-Nice little game from Invert Mouse, mix of VN with simple 2D stealth.
Game 17: Hatoful Boyfriend
-So ridiculous.
Game 18: Prototype 2
-Better than the original in every way. Wish we had gotten a 3rd.
Game 19: Marlow Briggs
-Not a bad GoW style action platformer. Needed a bit more polishing though.
Game 20: Sakura Spirit
-This VN is pretty bad, but the art work was good.
Game 21: Shan Gui
-A really touching story that I couldn't put down.
Game 22: There came an echo
-Never knew voice controls could be so much fun.
Game 23: Unhack
-Another game by InvertMouse, simple puzzle elements with a VN story mixed in.
Game 24: Without Within
-Visual novel by Invertmouse, while very short the story is very relatable.
Game 25: Batman Arkham Origins
-Another surprise after hearing negative things. Stands up there just fine with City and Asylum.
Game 26: Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2
-Quite the odd game. I didn't hate it, but I didn't exactly love it either. It's unique i'll give it that.
Game 27: Dark Souls 2
-Just more Dark Souls, not as good as the first but still fun.
Game 28: FEAR
-Really surprised how well this held up. Had a lot of fun blasting foes in slo-mo.
Game 29: FEAR 2
-This however didn't hold up, and I thought was pretty meh all the way through.
Game 30: Huniepop
-Really fun puzzle game where I ended up ignoring the other half of it pretty quickly.
Game 31: Lara Croft and the temple of Osiris
-Shorter than I expected but was glad that playing it solo was still enjoyable.
Game 32: Pillars of Eternity
-A lengthy RPG that I pretty much jumped into blind. A few issues here and there but glad I did so.
Game 33: Hatsune Mike Project diva F
-Actually my second time playing it and getting the platinum. This was the NA version.
Game 34: Grand Theft Auto V
Absolutely loved it, everything a GTA game should be.
35:Hatsune Miku Project Diva 5 2nd
Just like the first a fun rhythm game.
36:Bloodborne
It was alright.
37: House of the Dead 3
A much needed mindless break after what i have been playing
38: House of the Dead 4
Oddly enough not as good as 3. A lot of unshootable objects.
39: NEKOPARA Vol. 1
Cute little VN with what I found to be a very interesting universe when you think about it.
40: Eden*
A nice read even if it was a bit sad.
41: Rock Band 3
Good ol RB, was a lot of fun finally finishing this.
42:Senran Kagura: Bon Appetite
Decent rhythm game, repetitive though.
42: Final Fantasy 6
Pretty nice JRPG on iOS, wouldn't say it's the best FF though.
43:Dragon Warrior
Nice to play the original, even if it was a bit grindy
44:Battletoads from Rare Replay
I understand now why the game is such a classic, had a ton of fun. The save states and rewind mechanic make it actually beatable for someone of my skill level now.
45:Gears of War Ultimate Edition
Lots of fun revisiting this classic with new graphics and an extra chaper.
46: Halo - Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition
It's age shows, but the size of it is still outstanding for a console FPS.
47: Halo 2 Anniversary Edition
The improved graphics were great, and it still remains my favorite FPS
48: Halo 3 (MCC)
not the closer for the series I wanted, not as good as the first 2.
49: Halo 3 - ODST(MCC)
Actually enjoyed this one far more than I thought, still not a fan of the open world though.
50: Halo 4 (MCC)
Another which wasn't as bad as I thought, but still not as good as 1 or 2.
51:Metal Gear Solid 2 HD
Really loved the story, since I am able to better understand it now
52:Metal Gear Solid 3 HD
The weakest from the first three MGS games, but still damn good
53:Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker HD
Not quite the MGS game I expected but still fun
54: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the patriots
One of the funniest games I have played, take that as you will.
55: Metal Gear Rising
Not taking it seriously, the over the top action is a lot of fun.
56:Akiba's Trip
Gameplay is ok, but the story is all kinds of fun especially the multiple routes.
57:Xblaze: Code Embryo
A nice VN that doesn't overstay it's welcome.
58:Deception IV
Making traps was a lot of fun. Wouldn't have thought it.
59:Monster M*******
Game is banned from Gaf, will I get banned for saying I beat it :O
60:Dead Nation
Short but sweet, vtia port was surprisingly solid.
61:Batman Arkham Knight
While the weakest in the series due to excessive batmobile, was still a very fun ride.
62:Until Dawn
Really scratched my cinematic itch, and was quite scary too boot.
63:Journey
A very beautiful immersive experience.
64:Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Not the MGS game I was expecting, but still very fun
65:Close Your Eyes
A indie horror game on steam, that was pretty damn creepy for being a free title.
66:Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Just the prep I needed more MGSV:TPP
67:Lego: Jurassic World
My first lego game and with the source material handled so well I loved every minute of it.
68:Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt
Easily the best RPG this year
69:Shin Megami Tensei 4
Pretty fun RPG, difficulty was just right on eas.
70:Uncharted 1 Remastered
A lot more fun than I remember.
71:Uncharted 2 Remastered
Still the classic I remember
72:Uncharted 3 Remastered
Better than I remember, but still the weakest one by far
73:Wolfenstein The Old Blood
A nice little sequel to the previous game
74:Ys I
Really enjoyable JRPG
75:Ys 2
Similar to the first, but was a bit more confusing
76:Destiny
Completed the Story mode with friends and had a blast.
77: Life is Strange
A nice story, though wish the ending had been handled better
78:Transformers Devestation
A fun platonum action game, better than I expected
79: Mortal Kombat X
Decent fighting game, expected a bit more from the story though.
80:Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls
Beat the campaign and the extra chapter. Pretty fun at first, got a bit tiring at the end though.
81:Danganronpa 2
Fun adventure like the first, however I do prefer the first game still.
82:The Stanley Parable
Really enjoyed the commentary and humor in this.
83: Warhammer 40K: Space Marine
Really makes you feel like a Ultra Marine
84:The Order: 1886
A very pleasant surprise. Loved it.
85.Star Wars Battlefront
While MP only, I put enough time in to consider it "beat". Game is alright, needs more depth though.
86.Tales from the Borderlands.
Another pleasant surprise, great humor from TT.
87.Rise of the Tomb Raider
Surpasses the first in every way.
88.Guitar Hero Live
A great Resurrection of the franchise.
89:Halo 5
343 slowly working on filling the bungie shoes. More than made up for 4 though, especially in MP.
90.The Legend of Korra
A bore fest, not even platinum could save it.
91.Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
A nice change of pace for the series, that just needed a tad more polish and focus.

GLuigi

Oof, I only wanted to jot down a quick paragraph, but ended up saying a lot more.

Game #19: Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (PS4) - 29 Hours

I keep going back and forth between liking and disliking the game. On one hand, I like the combat. Feels like a simplified Kingdom Hearts game, in which i had a fun time timing my attacks so I can do some serious damage. The range of characters you get to play made it so that the combat never gets boring, but made it a little messy when trying to keep everyone around the same level. There are some RTS sections that really felt terrible to play, but fortunately you are not required to play these sections in order to progress the main story. Really, I only bought the game because of the select few songs that were featured in TFF: Curtain Call, and the rest of the soundtrack was fantastic.

In between missions you have some down time to hang out with your classmates or explore the world and do some side quests. I always found this time to be boring and tedious. The way the main hub is structured can be a pain to navigate if you need to run around the area. Some places can only be accessed through a big portal in the middle of the place and if you need to access another area that needs the big portal, you have to go back into a portal and then use the big portal again to go where you need to go. It would of been easier to be able to jump from one place to another directly without having to go back and forth.

Also another thing i disliked was how it felt like I was missing a lot of information to enjoy the story. Mostly it was because the main story doesn't really explain why some characters stop showing up. It turns out that you have to look through the records/bestiary in order to get some closure for some characters. Also there are a ton of side quests that i missed out on, either because you are not able to fit everything you want to do during your down time due to a time limit ( which only counts down whenever you hang out with a classmate, leave the main hub, or doing an expert trial) or the sidequest was just something you have to stumble upon.

Really it takes more than one play through to experience everything, and I have a feeling I will enjoy it a lot more on my second run.

Right now:Started up RE: Revelations 2 and (i think i said this already) Final Fantasy V. Also, thank God, I'm close to finishing One Piece: Romance Dawn.

Original Post

jnWake

Main Post

Game #14. Fire Emblem 7 (GBA VC)
- Time played: 87:33 hours.
- Completion reached: Cleared Eliwood Mode and
Hector Mode

Wow, 87 hours! Fire Emblem takes the crown for longest time to beat this year so far (it'll definitely be beat by Smash Bros when I decide to put it here though!). Anyway... Game impressions!

Fire Emblem is a sRPG, that is, strategy RPG. The gameplay essentially consists of turn based battles in a grid (kind of like chess), where the characters you use (or the pieces in chess) gain experience and better stats during the game, which is the RPG portion of the game. There are different types of units in the game that specialize in different weapons: swords, axes, lances, bows and magic tomes (broadly speaking of course). There are also strengths and weaknesses to consider, such as swords being strong against axes, bows being good against flying units, mages being weak against physical attacks (most of the time) and more. At first it seems overwhelming but it's actually pretty easy to get into (especially thanks to the introductory chapters that explain everything).

The game's story is somewhat classic medieval fantasy but it's very entertaining, mainly because of the characters. The game has a lot of characters, like, A LOT of them. This really encourages you to replay the game, since you won't have the chance to try most of them in one playthrough (or 2 even, since you want to have your main guys at good levels). All characters have defined personalities and backgrounds, with some being very entertaining. The game also has the (incredibly poorly explained) "Support" mechanic, where units that stay together for many turns develop a bond, which triggers a neat conversation between a pair of characters and also grants stats boosts. Through supports you'll learn a lot of backstory of the characters of the game and you'll get some laughs since some supports are hilarious. It's a shame they're quite limited since you can't get many supports per playthrough.

The story progresses in chapters, where each chapter has you accomplishing a goal (mostly seizing a territory or killing all the enemies). Chapters are pretty varied in design, some focusing on mages, others on physical units, others on fliers and more. There are plenty of chapters in the game and most of them are very fun, which is pretty cool!

Overall, I really loved this game. I played through it twice and I'd honestly beat the modes I didn't beat yet but with the clock at 87 hours I feel I should play some other games and clear my backlog! I definitely see myself returning to this game in the future though.

header.jpg

Game #19: Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1 - 4/23/15 (36 hours)
Got this game for the animu and was not disappointed. The combat was fast enough to where it took a while before it became stale. The story was about as cliché as possible, even though the references to everything gaming were nice. The maps were small enough to where it wasn't a chore going through literally the same copy/paste maps over and over again. Liked that you could change the difficulty and it wouldn't affect the xp/credits from fights, although I do wish they made that one a bit more obvious so you don't go through half the game before realizing you could make it easier without losing anything. I feel like they could have done a better job with the voice acting and not left half of the cutscenes without voices (yes I played it in English). Overall it's not "terrible" if you like something that is grind heavy, has anime ladies in it, and makes fun of the game/anime industry at every turn.

300px-Super_Mario_World_Box.png

Game #20 - Super Mario World - 4/23/15 (7 hours)
Even to this day I just don't feel this one as much as I do other games in the series. The levels aren't bad and it has some difficulty to it, I just have never been able to get attached to it even though it's one of the first games I played. I went through every level except the extra star road ones.

header.jpg

Game #21 - Nekopara Vol 1 - 4/28/15 (5.5 hours)
So...damn...kawaii. I wanted this for a while and was gifted it in the end. I honestly enjoyed it even though the story was basically as cliché as it could get. The character art was extremely well done, the music wasn't that bad, and it was just long enough to create some sort of attachment to the main girls in it. I do think the "all ages" tag for it is kind of funny though, considering the later chapters are anything but (they seem to have stopped the word censors about halfway through), whether the patch is used or not. I honestly kind of want to see the sequel they have coming now....
I also will not deny that the "press P for instant plot" was a good addition.

header.jpg

Game #22 - Ys 6 - The Ark of Napishtim - 5/2/15 (9.5 hours)
This was quite a bit shorter than I was expecting it to be, even without playing it on the hardest difficulty. The bosses and regular mobs started off challenging and it took some getting used to, but then came the 2nd sword and how laughably easy it made level grinding. If this had been like Oath/Origin where the harder areas were locked off until you progressed far enough, then it likely would have kept going with the difficulty. Instead you just go in a high level area with the fire sword and laugh as the xp bar flies. Outside of that it was pretty good, just wish you could leave the final area. The final boss was actually fairly challenging when it came to getting it's 1st phase down and being able to dodge lasers while still doing dmg. I finished this on Hard Catastrophe mode.

Post update

original post

21. One Piece: Unlimited World Red (3DS) - 12 hours;
One_Piece_Unlimited_World_RED_cover_art.jpeg

This was pretty fun, at a bargain price anyway. It's a brawler slightly mixed with dungeon crawling and a few Monster Hunter-esque elements. The combat system isn't too deep, but characters play different enough from each other to keep it interesting and in particular the 3DS version makes it easy to switch between them (on the touchscreen). Smaller enemies are cannon fodder, but bosses can be pretty great, even though the first one or two aren't the best. Also, this looks great, even on the 3DS. I usually read the comics, while the anime (considering its weekly basis) always looked pretty shabby and never captured the original art style. This game however offers a really good representation of the source material in motion and colour. I really missed a 3D effect though.

22. BIT TRIP presents Runner 2 (PC) - 6 hours;
RdH9rfD.png

It's basically the first game, but uglier. Runners are a big thing nowadays, so dropping the unique visuals from the last game doesn't make too much sense. Especially since the new graphics look like a twisted version of Rareware aesthetics or something (excluding the last world). At least the music is still good, but doesn't match the visuals that well anymore either. There was still fun to be had and if you like it, there's lots of stuff to unlock. But in the end, the 6 hours definitely felt much longer to me, which isn't good. While I still 100%'d the first title. I also played with a keyboard and the controls get a little too convoluted after a while.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Would you guys count all of the Classic Mega Man and Mega Man X games as separate entries?

original post.

Game 3: The Wonderful 101 - 12 hours
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. No wonder some people were disappointed with Bayonetta 2´s ending.
Holy hell man. Also, that game just throws new shit at you constantly. It´s ridiculous how much is in this game.
You got a Wii U? You don´t have this game? How about you get it.

Ted

Original Post

Game #12: The Room - Fireproof Games
Format: Android
Completion State: All four chapters + the Epilogue completed
Completion Date: 20/Apr/2015

Really good puzzle game making really good use of the touch screen devices it is made for. There are one or two control issues (mostly with zooming out) but these are rarely intrusive.

The game really suits the mobile format as well. you can drop in and out at will as long as you haven't left it so long you can't remember what you did last and your progress is always saved.

All in all well worth a play through if you like this kind of tactile, observation puzzle game and I'm looking forward to trying the sequel at some point in the future.

Game 17: Killzone: Mercenary - 6 hours+ - April 28th, 2015
wTALZ4W.png

I thoroughly enjoyed my romp through the short campaign of Killzone: Mercenary. I'm always really intrigued by the Killzone franchise because the lore and concepts behind the games absolutely fascinate me. But then you end up with this fairly sloppy execution, like what I experienced with Shadow Fall. And yet, while the games' thematic execution may end up sloppy, the games are usually anything but. Shadow Fall was my first PS4 game and it blew me away as a technical masterpiece. Similarly, Mercenary was the first PSV game in a good long way to blow me away. The game is truly a masterpiece technologically, and a testament to what the Vita might have been in another situation. The game is still certainly held back by the hardware. In particular, some of the controls can feel clunky, although that may be a product of the slightly slower pace of Killzone. Killzone has (to me) never played as quickly as something like a modern Battlefield or Call of Duty game. That said, the game is gorgeous. It really is like having a modern FPS in your pocket. The level design is delightfully varied. The shooting and variety of weapons/equipment/etc keep the situations feeling fresh. And similarly, at first, I was a bit put off by how many weapon caches (where you can buy and restock on equipment) were littered around the map. Once I got over the goofiness however, I really appreciated how having these caches around allowed me to change my playstyle on the fly during the middle of the map. I want to go in guns blazing? I can do that. I don't feel like facing waves and want to stealth it, I can also do that. I want to snipe? Easy. I want to stealth-kill with drones? Also easy. I want to stealth kill with SMGs? No problemo.

The characters may be fairly rote and by the book (except for a real neat twist in the last level), but the story was still engaging. I blew through the campaign in two nights. But, I had heard many good things about the multiplayer, and frankly it did not engage me. I would like to give this game more time before I "finish" it, but the multiplayer didn't do it for me, and the game also takes up an inordinate amount of space on my poor 16GB PSV card (nearly 3.5GBs!). So, with that, au revoir Killzone!
- 7/10

Main post

Game 15: Bloodborne (PS4) - 52h54m42s [4/28/15] ★★★★★
bb_logo_zpsnlizovj0.png

Beat game, saw all three endings. 30/33 trophies.

Just an exceptional game. My first time playing a "Souls"-type game, and now it certainly won't be the last. Excellent world and game design, just flat-out brilliant. Bloodborne is like a giant puzzle that I found myself gradually solving bit by bit over time, and when I wasn't playing Bloodborne, I was thinking about playing Bloodborne. Over the past two-and-a-half weeks, I've just lived and breathed this game. There was something I needed, and Bloodborne provided that fix, over and over again. It's "Game of the Year"-type stuff, and it's the leader of the pack right now.

Now, time to tackle some shorter games for a bit...

FluxWaveZ

Game 7: Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA f [PSV] — 10:06:50 (Started in 2014) [Finished: April 28]

9ojDFaq.png

I bought this game during a sale mostly to prepare myself for Persona 4: Dancing All Night. Project DIVA f reminded me that I really enjoy rhythm games. Rhythm Heaven Fever did as well, but that's a more unconventional type of rhythm game. I'm not into most of the music in this game, and the presentation kinda gets a bit wacky for my tastes, but it's still cool to play and feel overwhelmed at higher difficulty settings, while frantically trying to survive when you're not familiar with a song and you don't have its button inputs memorized. The touch screen inputs are crappy, though, I would have felt better if the game was only about button presses. There's not much of note outside of the rhythm game component. There's the "Diva Room" feature, which seems utterly pointless unless you're into hanging out with virtual girls while rubbing their head and giving them gifts. All in all, this has made me more excited for Persona 4: Dancing All Night, and I'll be playing more of it to prep myself and improve my skill at fast-paced rhythm action before that game comes out.

Original Post

jb1234

Would you guys count all of the Classic Mega Man and Mega Man X games as separate entries?

Of course. Despite their short length, they're still separate games. But to make myself feel less like I'm cheating, I mostly play them while working on much longer games (like Dark Souls this month).

Makeda

Original Post

cutmypic%2014.png

Game #20. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)

Oh my... I have only recently completed it so it may be hype talk, but I think this just might be the best FPS I've played in a long, long time - That opening chapter was explosive, but the 'choice' and the subsequent chapters thereafter had me hooked.
Never thought and old-skool style shooter would go down as one of the best PS4 games I think i'll play all year.

cutmypic%2015.png

Game #21. AC4: Freedom Cry (PS4)

I put just over 100 hours into AC4 on the Wii U despite no DLC so naturally I was anticipating this game quite a bit, whilst also hoping for something a bit different to what the main game offered. The subject matter of Freedom Cry had me eager to play through but sadly the short length and bite sized map / story reach left a lot to be desired.

Slavery as a subject / story basis is something most games shy away from, and its a damn shame that with such a powerful subject all that we are left with is a short, 3hr series of side missions with no real conclusion or effect on the wider story.

Perhaps I went into this expecting too much but overall, I must say despite the budget price I paid for waiting so long to make the jump, this DLC failed to live up to the admittedly lofty expectations I had for it.

On a side notethough, (this belongs more in BCT than here i guess) can anyone recommend any worthwhile videogames that actually focus on slavery?

cutmypic%2016.png

Game #22. Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition (Wii U)

This game has been on my 'To Play' list since I saw it as a kid on some cheesy 90's videogame VHS highlight, but I had always forgotten about it. Finally the anniversary edition popped up on the Wii U a few months ago and in a download spree I picked it up.
A short, but mildly enjoyable adventure game that would have had me stumped for hours as a kid.

8GqpnWn.png

34:11h. Platinum'd (As if it was hard to do). Man, this game left me emotionally drained. From a QoL standpoint is miles ahead 999: you never have to repeat a puzzle, you
need to
can jump to particular scenes instead of restarting the game...

As for the game itself, the story was really interesting, but the setting was a bit dull compared to 999, and the amount of scifibabble bullshiit was a bit too high for my tastes. But the plot was interesting from beggining to end, and I'm going to miss Sigma and Phi... until ZE3 that is!

Updated OP

mshlive

Game 4: Never Alone (PS4) -15/15 Trophies

Got this as part of PS+ and initially I thought the game had potential, however I've never had a game that's only 3 hours long drag before. Repetitive, poor platforming and just overall poor gameplay. I did like the concept behind the story and the visuals were nice, however there just wasn't enough variation.

Next up:

Still plodding through Forza Horizon 2 & Driveclub to keep my driving fix under wraps, plan on getting The Order 1886 done before Tuesday as I'm getting Bloodborne next Friday which I'm pretty hyped for. Between that I'll be working my way through GTA V so quite a lot of games on the go at the moment.

daveo42

Banned
Game 13: Broken Age: Act 2 - 6h 30min | Started: 4/28/15 - Completed: 4/29/15
Good story and more great dialogue with the 2nd half of this Double Fine Adventure with some harder puzzles this time. The puzzles did add a bit to this act, but most made sense after completing them. Also used swapping characters way more to solve some of the puzzles. Near perfect if you're into older adventure games, even if a few of the puzzle solutions were a bit farther out there than others. Well worth it for the story, music, world, and dialogue.

Initial Post Here

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Original post.

April:

Man, April was pretty bad for me, couldn't play anything for half of the month.

#21: Gear of War: Judgment - 360 (GWG freebie)
Eh, I like the series, but this one was, as expected, a bad entry. The SP was nothing but a long, boring horde mode. 5/10

#22: Never Alone - PS4 (PS+ freebie)
A terrible, short puzzler. 4/10

23#: Titan Souls - PS4 ($20)
This was like a frustrating, indie version of SotC. 7/10

#24: Sunset Overdrive: Dawn of the Rise of the Fallen Machines - XBO (season pass)
A decent expansion, the first one was better. 6/10

#25: MonsterBag - PSV (PS+ freebie)
Charming puzzler, terrible second half. 4/10

#26: Lords of the Fallen - PS4 ($60)
A terrible Souls wannabe. 5/10

#27: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - PS3 ($7)
A decent action title, highly repetitive, so-so combat system. 5/10

Dr. Buni

Original post

Game #28: Mario Kart Wii

QQsOvvA.png

This game isn't very good. I thought the reason I played very little of it years ago was because I was tired of kart games, but I don't think that was the reason anymore. Even without comparing it to the fantastic Mario Kart 8, which would be injustice, Mario Kart Wii still is rather mediocre. I am also replaying Mario Kart DS currently and it is also so much better, even with its calculator-tier graphics. Speaking of graphics, this is a point I have to give to MKWii, since it still looks great.

The gameplay is really weird. It feels "stiff" and the character don't respond well to commands as they do in MKDS and MK8. It doesn't flow well. The retro tracks weren't well picked either. While we had stuff like Delfino Square and Peach Garden, which are great, we also had a lot of bad tracks like that DK one from MK64. Last but not least, the music is rather bad, but that isn't surprising, since MK8 is the first game in the series to have an actual great soundtrack.

Synth

Original Post

Life Is Strange: Episode 1: Chrysalis

Criteria: Standard completion
Time played: 3 hours.

I actually completed the first episode of Life Is Strange back in January. I was going to log it as a single entry once I'd completed all 5 episodes, but have changed my mind now due to a combination of how long its likely to take before all five episodes are out, and the fact that I've been busy and am starting to fall behind the pace for games completed. As a result I'm retroactively adding it now.

The first episode was a good introduction to the game, and did a great job establishing the world in general. The rewind mechanic is great, as usually when playing these sorts of games, I tend to instantly regret any major choices made, always wondering what the alternative was. This game allows me to simply try the alternative as well, giving me peace of mind in the choice I eventually decide to go with. Despite this though, the choices don't feel meaningless, and you get the sense that they will have a substantial effect in later events, preventing the rewinds from giving you absolute power over your destiny.

Life Is Strange: Episode 2: Out Of Time

Criteria: Standard completion
Time played: 3 hours.

I felt that the second episode was noticeably weaker than the first. It was still strong overall, but had much more of what felt like filler moments to contend with. I was especially unimpressed with the "find the bottles" section. This episode did a good job with establishing the limitations of Max's ability, and I felt far less in control of outcomes than in the first episode. What I have begun to notice with this episode however, is how pretty much every character other than your own is rather unlikable. Outside of one or two exceptions, I kinda feel like nearly everyone else somewhat deserves whatever misfortunes befall them. I mean... I'm the one with powers, and yet you're gonna make me fetch bottles for your amusement like I'm Luigi? wtf....

Looking forward to future episodes however. This episode definitely felt like the point where some serious branching happened though, to the point where subsequent plays would be required if I wanted to approach following episodes from a different angle.

original post

W76tOgt.jpg

23. Street Gangs aka River City Ransom (NES) - 4 hours;

This was a very good brawler, mostly striking because of mixing RPG elements into it. Gameplaywise, it basically feels like a premature version of Yakuza. It does however have a very fun presentation with good humour. Even though it's very playable today, some annoyances still come from its age. There's lots of stuff to buy to enhance your stats, but menus don't really show what the exact effects are before buying. And when it comes to new moves, it doesn't tell you at all. I also missed some hint, which told to you backtrack and it would only appear once, so I had to look it up. I wonder whether the GBA version improved upon these basics a bit. There's also lots of potential for greatness in the upcoming sequel.

Ladekabel

April
Game 17: Metroid: Fusion (Wii U): Great game. Some hard passages but otherwise I had a great time with Fusion. Though I need to play Super Metroid again to definitly say I prefer Fusion, I prefer Fusion to Super Metroid.
Game 18: Okami HD (PS3): Beatiful game, maybe a bit too long. Even went for the platinum trophy. The art style was amazing, the soundtrack was pretty good, combat was alright, puzzles in dungeons were non existent. The last thing puts it under the Zelda-series for me, but another great one from Kamiya.
Game 19: BOXBOY! (3DS): Cute, little game. Though every world before the final are basically the tutorial for the final levels of the story-mode, it is still fun. Most puzzles are maybe to close to too easy but still fun. Some bits which require a little bit more thinking but everything is doable. Only beat the story mode but will do the extra worlds later.
Game 20:Shovel Knight (Wii U): With the NES being older than me, Shovel Knight wasn't a throwback for me. I enjoyed it nevertheless. Great platforming, not too hard, good checkpoints and some good ideas. Don't think I'll do a NG+ run but once the DLC its I'll be back playing it.
Game 21: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD (PS3): Because of the Bond-Rambo feeling and the changing environments I liked it more than Metal Gear Solid 2. And even though it is more linear there is still an element of discovery. But the controls were as annoying as in MGS 2.
Game 22: Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3): Finally Metal Gear Solid controls good! It is my favorit MGS. Huge rooms to sneak through, changing locations and (imo) superb cutscenes. Truly an fantastic game. Only downside was the framerate coming from the HD-versions of MGS 2 and MGS 3.

Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD (PS3), 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure (3DS)

April Update.

Did make some progress in the last two months. If I can keep up that speed I'm running out of games on my backlog to play.

Original post (updated)

16. Shovel Knight (PS4/Vita) - 30th April - 9 hours
I adored 80% of this game, but I struggled so much with the last two levels that it nearly tarnished my opinion of the whole game. However, I started NG+ last night and ran through the first two levels again, which reminded me of what I loved about it. The level design was generally terrific (if sometimes a little bit cruel), the boss battles were great fun, the music and visuals were excellent, the world design with its map and few safe areas was brilliant and I even cared about the plot! Just a really great game in every sense, and I loved how well it fused classic videogame elements with modernised systems like checkpoints and only a financial penalty for death. 8.5/10

Currently playing - Axiom Verge, Bloodborne, Titan Souls and Destiny.

Midn1ght

Updade :

Game #10 : Infamous : Second Son
LHiLxxk.jpg

Rating: ★★★★☆ - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Sucker Punch
Really enjoyed Infamous, the game looks gorgeous and becomes more and more fun as you acquire more powers. The story was ok and altho I didn't really care for the Delsin character at first, I ended the game really liking him. Only bad point for me was the city, beautiful but I felt it was lifeless sometimes and without this little something that makes me want to go back like Hong Kong in Sleeping Dogs or San Andreas in GTA V. Overall it was a very beautiful and cool game to play.

Original Post

Spyware

Late update. Got a puppy last week so I've been pretty busy (and tired) :D

header.jpg

04-18-15 - Game 34: Time Mysteries: Inheritance - 3 hours
Had never played a Hidden Object game before and had no idea what to expect. I really liked it! It wasn't exactly a pretty game or anything. The HO scenes were the best part of the game, the story and more "classic" sort of adventure game stuff wasn't great. Had fun!

header.jpg

04-20-15 - Game 35: Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek - 5 hours
Oooh, this one was pretty! Especially coming from the last one. HO scenes were still great and the story was actually pretty insteresting this time. Sad to say that I got frustrated over and over again due to the many areas, the lack of any sort of map and frequent need to run around to look for sparkles in basically random places.

header.jpg

04-20-15 - Game 36: Time Mysteries: The Ancient Spectres - 5 hours
Back to the less interesting time travel stuff we go. This time I liked it more tho! Mostly because it was fun to see the same areas in different times. This one was the best so far thanks to the great map showing exactly where there was stuff to do.

Looking forward to playing more HO games.

(Main post)

NHale

Games 1-12
Games 13-16

April:

Game 17: Crimes and Punishments: Sherlock Holmes - 03.04.2015
A good game that I unfortunately played on PS3 which is filled with huge technical issues that severely impacted the enjoyment of the game like the uneven framerate. Still the investigation part of the game was great and I hope becomes the starting point for some future games of the genre.

Game 18: MonsterBag - 12.04.2015
Nice puzzle game that actually uses touch in a good way. Short and enjoyable but nothing that will make a lasting impression.

Game 19: Tower of Guns - 25.04.2015
At first I hated it then I ended up tolerating the game. It doesn't make anything specially different and ends up feeling like a traditional corridor shooter with generated levels.

Game 20: Never Alone - 26.04.2015
Loved the background story offered by the cool videos that you get via collectibles but the actual game suffers everytime the co-op is required and the AI doesn't respond like it should which is a shame because those parts are actually fun but end up being the worst part because the AI isn't ready for them.

Game 21: Papo & Yo - 27.04.2015
Another game where the strong story assumes the center stage but the actual gameplay is deeply flawed to a point where there is basically no enjoyment in actually playing the game. The camera in particular is a sore point for the entire game.

OP
I let myself get way behind on commentary updates, so I'm gonna go back in time a bit....I played some great games in February. I'll follow up with March and April soon.

Essentials
The Last of Us Remastered
This game blew my mind. It lived up to the hype in every possible way. The brutality of the action, the tension of the stealth, the tightness of the story...this one has it all in spades. One of my favorite games ever.
Rayman Legends
If you like platforming, you need this game. Always felt challenging without overdoing it...feels like many modern platformers either go too easy or too hard. Well, this one is just right. I loved the inclusion of the Origins levels, too, made for quite a meaty experience. I still plan to go back and beat everything.

Recommended
The Last of Us: Left Behind
I was actually a bit relieved that the coda to The Last of Us is a fairly relaxing experience, even if there's not much here. The charisma between the two characters is done really well, and I loved revisiting
Winter.
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
I've played quite a few of the LEGO games, and I think this is my favorite so far. If you just want to try the series once, look no further. Right up there with the Star Wars trilogy. My one complaint is the incessant tutorials; I don't need to hear which hero is required to break/move whatever every single time I approach an obstacle. I have a brain. Let me figure it out.
Transistor
I'm not really a fan of Supergiant, but the story in Transistor kept me motivated throughout. The combat is cool but I think it gets a little worn out over the course of the game's relatively short run time. Worth experiencing for the story alone. Having the controller's front light flicker with the sword's voice is an excellent touch.

The Rest
-Need for Speed Rivals: I enjoyed the cop career enough to beat the story, but the racing career gave me fits. I avoided the online, too. Almost worth playing for that cop career alone, though, which can be really fun.
-Disney Infinity 2.0: The Avengers: Not as short as GotG, but this just meant it was more repetitive. I actually prefer GotG, I think, even if the Avengers characters "feel" better. That said, this is the default game when my daughter wants to play Disney Infinity.

jiggles

Banned
Games 1 - 20
Games 21+

Game 25: Blackrock Mountain: A Hearthstone Adventure
400px-blackrock_mountfauty.jpg

First time back playing Hearthstone regularly in a couple of months. You can't fault that Blizzard polish, yet the price still stings a little. But it's offset by the rest of the game being so damn good and free that there's no real cause for complaint. Naxxramas had probably a greater effect on the meta with its cards, but there was still some cool additions in this. If anything, BRM got me to take a closer look at the G&G additions because, unlike with Naxxramas, my go-to deck couldn't cut it all the time. I ended up building a Paladin Mech deck that I've been taking to ranked matches with moderate success. This is from someone who only ever played Hunter. There were a lot of fun twists on the formula throughout the campaign (the "everything costs 1" match being a highlight), but the difficulty was a little uneven. Everything up to the end was pretty easy so long as you didn't bring in the wrong deck, but that 3 stage final boss with the wipe before the final form just felt straight-up unfair. Overall, though, it was a fun little diversion from Ranked and Arena and I'm eager to get back to tweaking my decks to leverage the new cards.
If you like Curse of Naxxramas, you'll like this

Original post

eoozCUxl.jpg

22. Broken Age (PC)
Replayed the first act and finished the second act. Looked up hints for three puzzles, all in Act 2.

I like it! It's good to see Double Fine stick the landing for the most part, though the second act has significant issues. I do think at least some of the angst over the game's full release comes from heightened expectations created by the first act that the game could never meet, which may be the real reason Tim Schafer encouraged people to replay the first act before continuing to the second: that way, you're more inclined to think of the game as one unified package instead of two games released a year apart.

At first, replaying Act 1 seemed like a mistake. Going through the second time knowing most of the puzzles, you realize just how tedious it can be moving from one area to another, a trend that continues in Act 2. But most of the things I liked about that first act still apply a year later--the cast is lovable and the writing is still sharp. Once you jump into Act 2, everything changes, but also nothing changes.

After the pretty rigid delineation between Shay's world and Vella's world in Act 1, everything gets put into a blender in the second half to fantastic results. Much of the joy in playing through the second scenario is seeing how people and settings that previously had nothing to do with one another interact.
The tree that hates Vella LOVES Shay! Rocky and M'ggie are best friends! The Dead Eye guards now worship a tree!
I get the criticisms about certain thematic elements in the first act that get abandoned in the second act, but for me that was completely eclipsed by the Final Fantasy X-2-esque feel of revisiting a world that had undergone significant changes and seeing how everyone had adjusted to their new reality.

Act 2's puzzles are definitely harder, but only some of this difficulty is satisfying. On the bright side, Act 2 gave me a few eureka! moments that Act 1 never really did, and eureka! moments are what adventure games are all about. On the other hand, a few puzzles asked you to perform counterintuitive or obscure actions that harken back to the worst aspects of classic adventure games. It's not a great sign when you know well in advance the pieces you need to accomplish a task, but wonder if you're being blocked by a game bug or a glitch in the game's logic. It's also not great having to walk back and forth multiple times trying to figure out what to do next, something the game itself tacitly acknowledges in at least two puzzles by automatically teleporting you to where you need to be once you've messed up a few times.

On the whole, none of this is even close to enough to ruin Broken Age. Its characters and relationships shine brightly even when the puzzles occasionally darken the mood. Would back again.

StingX2

Big update

zlQqYu8.jpg

Game Beaten #42 Town of Salem (PC) - 6 Hours...yeah It took awhile to win a single game
(Started & Finished 4/28/15)

It's like Mafia or Epic Mafia but with some music and graphics. It's ok but their aren't enough roles like Epic Mafia to make it something you constantly want to return too. The music though is excellent!

aBWqN2B.jpg

Game Beaten #43 Valiant Hearts: The Great War (PC) - 15 Hours
(Started 2014 / Finished 4/28/15)

There were times I felt I could relate to the never ending war as this game dragged on. The story and character building never feels rushed, and for a game with no dialog (although some awesome narration) it feels like a full experience. The ending is touching and any happy ending this game can give feels like a victory, any tiny little drop. My only negative comment would be the Canadian gets seriously 5 seconds of screen time (why was he even in the logo or introduced?)

phjz3wS.jpg

Game Beaten #44 Super Luigi U (Wii U) - 10 Hours
(Started 2014 / Finished 4/28/15)

Every level has 99 seconds and the difficulty is masochist level. Seriously each level is a damn death trap. The game is the same layout as the original game but the levels are themed all over the place. Don't get me wrong it has great ideas and some extremely frustrating ones. Oh and yes they made Luigi a pain in the neck to control like every game in the last ten years

NQwIoI4.jpg

Game Beaten #45 Toejam & Earl (PSN) - 3 Hours
(Started & Finished 4/30/15)

This is my third time in my life playing this game and each time I'm amazed how evil the enemies are. Some will never bother you like the viking or wizard. Others like the ice cream truck, mad doctor, invisible stabbing guys, and bees are just pure evil. They can easily knock you off the level sending you down a floor or just take all of your life in one swoop. The random present mechanic is still such a great idea and makes me so excited for the kickstarted game coming.

zLXUdG7.jpg

Game Beaten #46 Reality Fighters (Vita) - 3 Hours
(Started 2014 / Finished 5/2/15)

I had this for a long time but only started it to help someone with an online trophy. My biggest pet peeve is placing the fighters in an AR background and then having to maneuver the Vita in some awkward position to see what you are doing. The actual fighting though is quite a lot of fun, it isn't the deepest thing but it is friendly to newcomers and very easy to learn. The story mode was also mildly fun.

OGPost2

OP.

Progress is much slower this year compared to last. Going to have to step it up if I'm going to complete the challenge again.

---

Game 16: Dead Or Alive 5: Last Round (PS4) - 4 hrs~
Played through story mode and arcade mode a few times. The story was really something else with the characters finding nearly any excuse to fight each other. I started to skip cut scenes about half way through. I'd probably have enjoyed this more if I wasn't so bad at fighting games.​

Original Post

Game 13: Lego: The Hobbit (9 Hours) 3/5

Probably played a little more seriously than Rings and only covers the first two movies. Fun new mechanic where multiple Dwarfs can team up and perform unique moves. Huge open world beyond the story missions but requires huge time investment to get anywhere. On to the next one!

Game 14: Lego Batman (17 Hours) 4/5

Great old school Lego game, for the first half of the game you play as Batman and Robin with access to different suits resulting in different abilities. In the second half you replay the the stories as the villains. I probably enjoyed that part more, not sure what that says about me. As the game has no open world, there are more story missions and less filler open world crap. I'm not sure I like the direction the newer Lego games are taking.

Game 15: Castle Storm (5 Hours) 3.5/5

Classic tug-of-war type game with bags of personality. Protect your castle, destroy the oppositions. You can design your own castle but the whole process is incredibly fiddly so I resorted to the default ones.

Game 16: Star Trek (14 Hours) 2/5

Somewhere in here is a good game trying to get out. Diabolical mechanics and controls, poor blurry graphics, terrible pacing and average level and encounter design. On the plus side, the interaction between Spock and Kirk is fun and the co-op stuff works quite well. I can't help but think if more effort had been put into the design it would have resulted in a much better received game.

Game 17: Back to Bed (3 Hours) 4/5

Short beautiful puzzle game in the style of Escher. You play as a sleep guardian monster thing tasked with getting Bob, a sleepwalker, safely back to bed. Bob has a habit of turning right when he hits things so you have to place items, large apples, to make him turn and Fish to bridge gaps. There are only 30 levels and the game is not particularly difficult, but it's a great way to spend your time.

Game 18: Lego Batman 2 DC Super Heroes (13 Hours) 3.5/5

Big improvements in level design and graphics over the earlier Batman but again more filler and less story.

Dryk

Original Post - Part 1
Original Post - Part 2

Game #31: Valkyria Chronicles: 52.6 hours
This game is amazing. Looks great, sounds great and tells an engaging story. Though the story gripped me the most at the incident on the Malberry Shore I've been waiting to get home and play more every day for three weeks straight. All the little gameplay tweaks they've made from standard TBSes are great, especially the removal of a 1 move/turn limit for the units. The amount of personality crammed into each of the optional characters is also really nice considering that it's all told through incidental dialogue, special abilities (another really cool mechanic) and personnel files.

It wasn't without it's flaws sure. But apart from the unit balance drifting all over the place in the early and mid-game there's nothing major and eventually all of the classes come into their own but it does take a while. I also ran into a few 120fps related bugs, but for an old PS3 game the port options are pretty great.

CloakBass

Original

#5 - Ultimate Muscle: Legends vs. New Generation (GCN)
Beat the game with every character and even got all the little rubber M.U.S.C.L.E. figures. I cleared it on hard with all the characters with the notable exception of Sunshine and Skullduggery; their slow movements are just too vulnerable to the A.I. I'm glad I unlocked Pandaman because he's just great, though I don't think anyone can touch Chihuahuaman (one of the pre-made custom fighters). Excellent AKI game I would love to try in multiplayer someday.

#6 - Monument Valley (Android)
Beautiful. A showcase of what mobile gaming can be capable of. The puzzles are never really head-scratchers until the final level, but I believe that actually works well in the game's favor - creating atmosphere as you slowly delve deeper into the monuments. All the little touches are what make this game. Also a great source of phone wallpapers.

Next game I expect to complete: Sonic the Hedgehog 2

mp1990

Banned
#20 Hotline Miami

Hotline-Miami.jpg

Hotline Miami is one of my favorite games ever, it made me drop me "anti-indies" bias, after playing it i stopped having an immature child comportment of thinking that all indie games are thrash, so, in the release of HM2, i felt the urge of replaying it for the 3rd time. And, still as amazing as ever. The junction of the gameplay, OST, level design, colors, the graphic violence and the art design makes it the only game that, at the same time, get's me frenetic and calm.

#21 Hotline Miami 2

latest

I bought it at the moment it was released on PSN, being that i'm a huge fan of the original, but didn't actually finished it till i replayed the first one. Well, it's actually a great game, much better than most opinions made me thought, but yeah, it's not as good as the first one. I liked that they made the story more cryptic, and it doesn't follow an straight time line, some of the changes in gameplay were very nice, i liked the different characters you could control, but the level design was much worse than the first one. Yeah, it has some amazing levels, like chapter 20, but damn, many of them just fell cheap, like the levels on Hawaii or some with the Fans. I really liked it, many things that made me love the original are still on it, i just didn't fell in love with it.

#22 Life Is Strange EP. 2

Already talked a lot about the first ep, so i won't extend this too much, but damn, i loved it. Like, i don't like how the characters are written, sometimes it just fell too forced, but the OST, the art design, even some of the characters relations (not the main one tbh), they fell amazing together, and that ending, oh boy, felt like a punch in my stomach.

#23 Ori and the Blind Forest

@MLisakowski.jpg

Damn, why i took so long to finish this game ? I picked it up on the release, but didn't got further than the Water temple, and damn, when i got back, i couldn't get away from it. Not only the graphics and the OST are amazing, the gameplay was one of the greatest things i've played this year. It's fluid, fast, hard, but most of the times not cheap, it just requires pure plataform skill. If i have anything bad to say about it, i'll point the temple escape sequences, they're the only sections in the game that felt cheap, like, you have to dodge things so fast and sometimes what is going to kill you appears milliseconds before it do, it was try and error, but even these sections don't take anything from the masterpiece that Ori is.

pots555

First time posting. I know I'll never get there, but I really enjoy this thread. So, here we go:

#1 Beyond Two Souls (PS3, around 12 hours)

I thought it was pretty good. Some chapters were fantastic and I felt really invested in the story. 7/10

#2 Tron Evolution (PS3, around 8 hours)

Finished it for the 5th time. I am a huge Tron fan and the game is fascinating in my opinion. 10/10

#3 Danganronpa: Trigger happy havoc (VITA, arouns 30 hours)

I had so much fun with this one. Very engaging. 9/10

#4 Persona 4 Golden (VITA, around 80 hours)

One of the most funny game that I have played. Loved everything about it but it got boring in the end. 9/10

#5 The Walking Dead complete first season (VITA, around 10 hours)

Fantastic. 9/10

#6 The Walking Dead complete second season (VITA, around 10 hours)

Not nearly as good as the first one. 7/10

#7 Deus Ex Human Revolution The Director's Cut (WII U, around 40 hours)

A masterpiece, perfect fit for the Wii U. 10/10

That's it for now. I just bought an Xbox One so I will be starting with Assassin's Creed Unity and I am really looking forward to The Witcher 3 and the next Batman.

Oreoleo

Full List
Impressions Part 1

31. Goldeneye 64 - 5ish Hours
I got the nostalgia bug and hooked my N64 back up which inevitably led to playing Goldeneye for the first time in about a decade. Beat every level except the 2nd bonus level on secret agent. It took a little time to get the hang of the controls again, with the way look and move are split between the analog stick and c-buttons, but at the end of the day this is still the classic it's always been.

32. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - 12ish Hours
So.. THIS is the game that made everyone hate first-person platforming. I'd never played the original Turok in my youth but the precision platforming and labyrinthine design of the stages are two sore spots 19 years on. Overall though I found it to be a fun challenge in a way modern shooters aren't anymore.

33. Star Fox 64 - 1.75 Hours
Played through it twice, beat the "real" Andross and got a few medals for doing well on a couple levels. I still love this game and could still play the hell out of it today if I wasn't so distracted with so many other games. Great for score attacking.

34. Super Mario 64 - 7.25 Hours
It's funny how much smaller this game feels these days. What was more surprising to me was how much I noticed the level design kinda goes off the deep end about halfway through the game. Once you get through the basement stages and up to the second floor everything starts to feel a little less fun and well developed. In order to skip the later stages I did the backwards long jump glitch to get up the endless stairs with only ~55 stars for the first time, so that was exciting! I started playing with the intention of getting all 120 stars but after 75 or so and seeing the remainder being in Wet-Dry World, Tick-Tock Clock etc, I kinda lost interest

35. Torchlight II - 27 Hours
Fun but ultimately meaningless. The gameplay loop is on point and keeps you engaged moment to moment and encounter to encounter, but the loot was rarely exciting and the bosses/monsters I found mostly forgettable. The game was time-consuming the way you can get sucked into a game of Civ for hours on end, but with Torchlight once you come up for air I didn't find a ton of reason or desire to return, which is why it took me 3 years to clear this out of my backlog. Maybe the genre just isn't for me.

36. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs - 3.75 Hours
Maybe it's because I haven't played the original in quite a few years at this point, but I wonder why this sequel was so negatively received. Perhaps it was the shorter length or reduced focus on run-and-hide stealth segments. Personally I thought the tight pacing was to the game's benefit as there isn't really a lot to do, mechanically. And I thought the body horror imagery the narrative created was very effective. This is all coming from someone who really, really disliked Dear Esther, too.

37. Rogue Legacy - 21.5 Hours
Finally kicking this one out of the backlog after reaching the final boss shortly after this thing released. The game was great while I was discovering new content but as soon as I was faced with grinding levels to defeat the final boss I lost all interest. So, a fun distraction but little else.

38. Killer is Dead - 6.5 Hours
Games like this are so frustrating. I genuinely enjoyed the combat and gameplay, and of course the style, but cutscenes and presentation are constantly interrupting the action and getting in the way of the game. It never shuts up and lets you enjoy it for more than a few minutes at a time. The side missions seem like total filler considering the core of the game and its such a shame to see resources wasted on that stuff when they could have made the main campaign so much longer or better with additional enemies and environments.

39. Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved - 11 Hours
Well it's nice to have the series return to PC in good form after a barebones Retro Evolved port and GW2 being completely MIA. However this time something less tangible seems to be missing. I really adored the simplicity of Geometry Wars 1. Every 10,000 points you got a big-boy gun. 75k and 100k were an extra bomb and life. 1 million was the real milestone and the waves of enemies were generally the same and allowed you to learn them and develop strategies and get better and better. GeoWars2 expanded exponentially with different game modes and more or less all of them were successful, but changes to the core scoring of the game meant Retro Evolved mode was different, and some of that simple exactness of the original was lost. GeoWars3 takes this and runs the concept even further with dozens of different levels, different partner "drones" and a host of tertiary weapons if smart bombs and regular ol' shootin' isn't enough for you. It's still fun and I appreciate the variety in levels and map shapes and the bosses were great too... but the game has all but lost that simplicity and thoughtfulness that GW1 had that made me fall in love with it.

40. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux - 4 Hours
Another entry in the walkabout category, this game was mostly successful in its execution. It goes without saying that it was gorgeous to look at, and the puzzles found a great balance of not being too easy while not being overly cryptic. I liked the subject matter and appreciated that it didn't try to be too sentimental or existential as these types of games sometimes do. I did however find it difficult to keep track of the members of the family in the story and the particulars of how events occurred; the way at least one puzzle is presented made me think something occurred one way and it turned out I had it basically backwards which lead to some confusion on my end that I felt could have been avoided. Overall though it was a very pleasant experience.

41. Driver San Francisco - 7.75 Hours
I've only ever played the original Driver prior to this, and unfortunately it was the nostalgia bug that got me to give in and pick this up on Steam. Honestly it's a fine game and the game has enough positive impressions that I can accept I'm in the minority here but I thought the driving model was terrible and antithetical to the fun the game was trying to create. EVERY CAR handles like a boat, even something small and sporty like a Dodge Neon, until you tap the brake and then it's as though you're driving on ice as the game puts you into a drift you have little control over. Now you're a boat driving sideways. And there was something in the drifting where coming out of it I would oversteer very often and end up drifting in the opposite direction which I had a lot of trouble getting over. On top of that I thought the main mechanic of jumping between cars was overused and broke up the game play in a bad way. The way some of the missions are designed, you'll be forced to CONSTANTLY jump between cars. Like, I just wanna fucking DRIVE don't make me teleport all over the map for 7 hours because some suit who watched a demo for 10 minutes thought it was a neat concept. I think I had negative fun with this game.

42. Star Wars: Dark Forces - 10 Hours
Old school shooter from the Doom/Duke 3D days. Holds up decently enough, the lack of texture variety within individual levels is unfortunate. Can lead to a lot of areas/corridors looking similar. The MIDI-fied Star Wars theme was amazing though. Always got a good chuckle every time I loaded the game up. Oh and I appreciated that they made the Stormtrooper blaster WILDLY inaccurate. Turns out Stormtroopers don't have bad aim, they just got issued totally shit weaponry. It seems so obvious in retrospect.

43. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II - 12 Hours
I so very, very rarely play games from the same series back-to-back, but Dark Forces 2 makes so many advancements over Dark Forces 1 it's almost unfair to call it a sequel. I read online while playing it that it was the first Star Wars game to include both light saber combat and force powers, so that's pretty neat. The live action cutscenes which seem so out of place today were actually pretty cool and gave the story some legitimacy. In a way it was like getting to see a new Star Wars movie for the first time. And the girl who played Jan Ors was a total cutie. The boss fights were a little janky by today's standards but they brought some fun strategy to the gameplay, having to use true sight if an enemy went invisible, or using force protection to tank hits in a lightsaber duel. The game's a little long in the tooth compared to the pacing of today's games, but there's definitely still some fun to be had.

44. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - 10 Hours
Ehhh, this worked as a power fantasy but that's about it. I had a surprisingly hard time following the story so I have no idea if the player character was trying to play Vader or was genuinely on the dark side. Force powers were decently fun to use but the game as a whole just feels kinda vapid and empty. The neatest part was easily running around the Death Star's laser array, seeing the massive scale of it and then being told that there are 8 array's with 8 lasers each that come together at a focal point to make the Death Star's primary weapon as deadly as it is (image for reference). That was a cool part of EU world building and really nailed the sense that the Death Star really is the size of a moon.

45. Resident Evil Revelations - 9 Hours
I liked the small scale setting of this compared to the bloated story of RE6, but the actual gameplay was fairly rudimentary by third person shooter standards. They put you on this 'claustrophobic' ship to bring the series back to it's roots but the game is anything but scary. And I'm struggling to remember any noteworthy set pieces or action sequences. So the game tries to have the best of both and kind of fails? It's Capcom so it's at least a competently made game and mechanically sound but I can't help but feel like they could have done so much more with the idea.

46. Lucius - 6.75 Hours
I feel like I shouldn't have liked this as much as I did, but for some reason I found the whole thing rather endearing. You essentially play Damien from The Omen and each level tasks you with solving the puzzle of how to kill a different member of your household (a large mansion filled with plenty of hired help) without being caught. One example being getting your grandfather to slip on some ice that you planted beneath an icicle, then using telekinesis to cause the icicle to break and impale his skull. What a freak accident! No one will be the wiser. The story is tied together by a detective that senses that something isn't quite adding up, that these are more than just accidents. The small scale of the game (you never leave the mansion grounds, hell you never even see the front yard) and the way the environment and remaining characters change through the game (such as your mother's developing psychosis as she comes to learn the truth) makes the whole thing feel very quaint and intimate. You can tell the devs are European and the game was made on a small budget. There's no way it could exist on anything besides PC but I'm glad it does.

47. DmC Devil May Cry - 8.5 Hours
Alright let's get this out of the way. Prior to this I'd only played DMC4 so I am by NO means someone who is just pining for a return to the numbered entries, but I really found the character of Dante to be off-putting. The style of the game, especially at the beginning, is so kind of strange and slightly off that I thought for sure it was like a Japanese dev's take on Western culture or something. BOY was I surprised when I found out the devs are British. But as someone who know's absolutely nothing of the DMC story it was nice to have this game tell the character's origin story so that I have at least a basic grasp of the universe if a DMC5 ever comes to light. So many people were up in arms over this game merely existing, but I feel like it was a great way to bring more people into the franchise and get them up to speed, so it's existence is justified. Combat was solid and fluid and I liked having certain enemies immune to either the angel or demon weapons but I felt they could have done more with it. It wasn't until the last stage or two where they'd throw two enemies with different immunities at you at once which injected some strategy into the combat. But there's the middle third of the game after you get most weaponry/abilties and you're just kind of going along destroying enemies, not being challenged and not learning anything new that the game drags a bit. Overall I found the whole thing a little too easy and offensively-focused. Ninja Gaiden is very defense-focused (wait for enemy to attack, dodge, and tear into them when they're recovering) which I like and Bayonetta finds a great balance with witch time and dodge offset so I wish DmC could have found that balance as well. In the end though the game was a pretty pleasant surprise.

48. Morphopolis - 1.75 Hours
A pretty basic not-quite-pixel-hunt not-quite-a-puzzler game. The main draw (no pun intended) here is the hand-drawn artwork. Not much to say about it really. A relaxing game that doesn't overstay it's welcome and is nice to look at. Ah, on a whim I just Googled the game and my suspicions were correct- this is a mobile game. Makes sense.

49. Jazzpunk - 2 Hours
This was a weird one. I didn't find it as funny as I could tell the devs wanted me to. The pacing seemed off to me as well. The first few missions are very brisk and then you get sent on a vacation that seems to last about half of the game's running time. The Adult Swim label makes a lot of sense, the game is nonsensical in a not-quite Tim & Eric way (thank fuck). I admire the devs for trying something unique, so in that sense I could never call it a bad game, but at the same time it really didn't land for me and I don't think I could ever recommend it to anyone. The intro was really cool, though.

50. Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines - 30 Hours
THE HYPE IS REAL! This game was SO good, I couldn't believe it. In a nutshell it's basically Deus Ex if Deus Ex had Vampires with superhuman powers instead of augmented humans with superhuman powers. The world-building, lore, story and dialogue do such an effective job of making you feel like a small part of a much larger whole that exists outside of the game. Some of the best written characters I've ever seen in a game (And, seriously, maybe the best voice acting I've *ever* heard in a game) make you actually give a shit about your choices and whats going on in the story. The branching storylines (curtosy of a dialogue system that reminds me of New Vegas) seem masterfully done and don't lock you into a path until fairly late in the game and allows each of the game's endings to be rather distinct from each other, down to how many and which of the final bosses you face, without sacrificing player agency. I never felt like I was unfairly stuck into one path, and had plenty of opportunity to consider the politics in the game and choose an allegiance. My one complaint is that some of the end game areas are entirely too combat heavy, which can lead to some headaches as up until that point the game goes out of its way to make sure there are multiple ways to approach a situation (combat, stealth, smooth talk your way out of something etc), so if you didn't gear your character towards combat you're gonna have a bad time in a few spots. But honestly the game ramps the difficulty slow enough, and is generous enough with skill points that you'd really have to go out of your way to screw up your character build. Long story short: I haven't been this impressed with a game in a long, long time.

51. Titan Souls - 5.5 Hours
Explore. Discover. Overcome. Conquer.
In the vaguest of terms this is the game play loop of Titan Souls, a game that is not afraid to wear it's Shadow of the Colossus inspirations on it's sleeve. 19 bosses, 1 hit kill or be killed, armed with nothing but a bow with a single arrow. Most of the bosses play out like a mini-puzzle. First, figure out it's weak spot. Second, find your opening to hit the weak spot. Third, execute your plan. The game rewards pure skill first and foremost. No leveling up, no perks. Just you and your abilities. THE GAME IS HARD. By the end I had died more than once per minute, on average. (The final boss might be a little *too* hard, but that just made it all the more rewarding when I finally overcame the odds and achieved victory.) The difficulty mixed with the light puzzle aspect and boss design makes the combat fall somewhere between Dark Souls and The Legend of Zelda. Pixel art reminiscent of Fez, and gorgeous orchestral music peppered throughout the environment make the world a pleasure to explore and uncover the subtle lore hidden within the game. Certainly not for everyone, but I was hooked right from the beginning.

52. Rocket League - 85 Hours and Counting
I purposely saved this one for #52. Unequivocally my Game of the Year, I don't think I can say anything about Rocket League that hasn't already been said. Fresh, fast-paced, and above all else, FUN. The balance between pick-up-and-play mechanics with a ridiculously high skill ceiling is masterful. And unlike other games like say, Dota and CSGO, a match only lasting 5 minutes means you're not stewing over any individual loss when you get hyper-competitive like I tend to do, and can jump right into the next game ("just one more!") without worrying about the time commitment. Best game is best, that's all there is to it :)

Labadal

Game 21: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - 36 hours
PSV

A really fun visual novel with some puzzle solving here and there. The time jumping mechanic was interesting but it sometimes felt like a chore to do all of the scenes again. It's good that you were allowed to skip text, though. Some really crazy events and likable characters made the game so good.

Game 22: Grim Fandango Remastered - 13 hours
PC

Controls were a bit clunky, but other than that, I really enjoyed the game. Great soundtrack and voice acting. I had to look up a few solutions here and there. I guess my brain isn't as sharp as it used to be. I don't know. All in all, this was a great adventure game and no game after it really lives up to it.

Game 23: Pillars of Eternity - 72 hours
PC

I just beat the game on hard, playing for around 72 hours, completing every quest in the game. I will start off by saying that I don't regret backing the game, but that it has its problems.

My two cents:

I approached most combat encounters the same way: Send in tanks and then use ranged characters to help out. Things changed a bit when I had the paladin and druid in my team, because they were used as both melee and ranged combatants. There were some fun encounters, namely the bounties and a few fights here and there. Otherwise, I just stuck to the same tactics a lot of the time. Pathfinidng wasn't always what I wanted it to be and that was my biggest fear pre-release. People expected it to be good, but I said on the Obsidian fora that it was one of my biggest concerns. It worked most of the time, but there were moments when it truly pissed me off. I still miss hard counters, I didn't like the camping supply system, and ally/enemy AI was a bit of a letdown. I didn't hate melee engagement, but it should have been used as an ability in the game. The entire game shouldn't revolve around it. I usually just stuck to the same spells most of the time and when I reached level 9-11, I used the low level spells almost all the time. I barely used any potions or food, so that added a little challenge. Party members were mostly useless as their stats were crap, but I stuck with them for story reasons.
Visibility in combat was at times very annoying. Luckily, it didn't reach NWN2 levels for me.

Most maps looked nice, especially those that had been painted over. On the other hand, there were some maps that looked a little rough. In general, I was very impressed with the graphics. Armour designs also looked cool and I bought stuff just to see how they looked. Voice acting was decent and the writing was also decent. Above average according to me, but not as good as MotB or some of their other games. The music wasn't something I thought about much, but the soundtrack grew on me and I have to say that I really like it.

The quests were a bit underwhelming. There were a few good ones like one in Dyrford village, and some others here and there. A lot of the quests were a bit too straight forward and not super exciting. I guess it was nice that you could solve quests in different ways. As I said earlier, I really liked the bounties and they were a fun challenge. On the other hand, I was disappointed by everything else that had to do with the stronghold, barring the mega dungeon which I liked.

While I don't think the combat is as good as the IE games, I still liked the character system, even if it needs to be improved. I felt like there is a lot to choose from with how you develop your class. I had Eder as a tank but I also made a custom two handed fighter that I used occasionally. The companions were a mixed bag. I didn't care much for Pallegina, Sagani and Aloth. I really liked Durance, Eder and Hiravias. The others were okay. When it comes to other NPCs, there weren't really many that I cared for or hated. Again, there were a few that stood out, but in general, I forgot about many of the NPCs after a while.

My biggest disappointment is a selfish one. I was not happy to see how backer NPCs were handled. I saw mine and his sotry didn't match what I had written at all. He was a monk, that was about it. Had I known, I would have made an item. I hope that they don't have a useless reward like that for the next KS game.

All in all, I'd give the game an 8/10. I prefer F:NV, MotB and AP over PoE, but then again, those are some of my favorite rpgs. I'd put it with KOTOR II which I also like a lot.

(It's 2 AM over here, sorry for the incoherence and spelling mistakes.)

Game 24: Dragon Age: Inquisition - 107 hours
PS4

I'd say that around 15-20 of those hours were me being away from the game while operations were being done. Posted my brief thoughts on the game in the game's OT.

Game 25: inFAMOUS: First Light - 6 hours
PS4

I liked this more than Second Son. While there is only one type of power, I liked the side activities, despite them being repeated over and over. The races were fun, arena challenges were fun and getting to the neon lumens was also fun. A shorter and more tight experience than the adventures of Delsin.

Game 26: Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments - 14 hours
PS3

Tried this game out due to PS+. I went in with very low expectations and I thought the game would get deleted after maybe a play session of 15 minutes. Instead, I got a fun adventure game with decent puzzles, good voice acting, a story and scenario that kept you interested and curious as to what was going to happen next. I was happy and surprised to find out that I was right on all the final deductions. Maybe I should become a detective one day.

The problems the game had were technical (on PS3). Long loading times and at times, some stuttering and poor framerate.

Game 27: RONIN - 10 hours
PC

RONIN can easily be classified as a Gunpoint clone if you watch screens. It is true to some minor extent. Jumping works like it does in Gunpoint and the graphical style isn't that far off. Where it differs is the combat. While Gunpoint is real time based and at times wants you to be a bit stealthy, RONIN is actually turn-based and wishes to see all antagonists on the screen dead. While it had a mechanic or two that were annoying and while the precision isn't always as good as Gunpoint, the puzzle nature of the encounters are really fun.

Game 28: Titan Quest - 45 hours
PC

Played an Oracle with focus on summoning and and lightning damage. My character was the definition of a glass cannon. Not the first time I play the game but I do enjoy the different mythologies for each chapter. Music is solid and graphics are still okay for the type of game it is. I love the way the game lets you build your characters. One of the best hack n' slash games around.

Game 29: Transistor - 6,5 hours
PC

I picked this up because I enjoyed Bastion and I liked the concept of the battle system in this. I didn't enjoy it as much as Bastion, but it was still a good experience. I like how you could mix and match passives, upgrades and skills. Gave the battles some variety. Music and graphics were excellent and the voice acting was good. I still like the Bastion narrator more, and maybe that's why I prefer that game over Transistor. I'm not going for a Ng+ just like I didn't do with Bastion due to lack of time. If anyone's interested in a sort of turn-based combat system, it is fairly unique as I haven't seen any other game that plays like this.

Game 30: Woolfe - The Red Hood Diaries - 3 hours
PC

Side scrolling platformer with some basic combat. It seems this was only part one of I don't know how many parts. The game was Kickstarted and I guess it was a decent first effort, but it's not a masterpiece and I'd recommend a purchase at about $5.

Game 31: LYNE - 18,5 hours
PC

Connect dots with lines is the simplest description I can give this game. Some levels have three different colors and they need to overlap and stuff. A really solid game that I recommend if you want to play something relaxing.

Game 32: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - 40 hours
PC

Bought this day one but only completed it a few days ago. I like everything but the combat system, and I hated the qte sections so I chose not to do them after one of the boss fights. The final fight was also annoying as all hell and took me a long time to beat, although I did beat it on my first try.

The story is good and the writing is up there with the very best that we currently have in the industry. The voice acting also impressed me, from main character to minor characters. Deliveries were great from the voice actors. I mostly enjoyed the soundtrack which only had a couple of songs I didn't care for. The game still looks great from a graphical point of view and the design is overall great.

I didn't care for the combat because at the time when I first played it, it kept reminding me of Demon's Souls but it wasn't anyway near the fun of DS. The menus were a pain in the ass to use. I hope TW3 improves this. Inventory management was the worst in long time.

I'm going to pick up TW3 at some point, but I am in no real hurry to do so.

Game 33: Titan Quest: Immortal Throne - 25 hours
PC

After beating the original campaign, I took a break from the game and beat some others from my backlog. Returned to this and had a lot of fun despite dying several times to some crazy ass bosses. While I had played chapters 1-3, this was the first time I played IT. Not much to say other than it was a good continuation of the main game and I liked it just as much as the rest of the content.

Game 34: Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack - 3,5 hours
PC

I think I beat the Vita version last year. I was scrolling through my Steam library looking for a short game to play and saw this. I remember having fun with it, so I decided to install and play. Completed it in two sittings. You're basically a blob and eat stuff to get bigger so you can eat bigger stuff. Some obstacles are in your way, but nothing that is overly complex or hard to get by.

Game 35: Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King - 90 hours
PS2 (PC emulator)

Copy pasting from the Summer of Dragon Quest thread.
Well, Dragon Quest VIII is done 100%. All monsters and infamous monsters beaten, Dragovian trials completed, both endings acquired and Morrie's arena completed.

The final boss was a bit ridiculous with the whole scepter thing you had to do. It drags out the fight way too long, but once the fight actually starts, it's really exciting. The conclusion of the game, especially the true ending were great. I was a bit bummed about the regular ending. It was a shame that a certain character in the game is no longer in the story. While I wanted him to die, he was a great villain. I didn't feel the same hatred/connection to the others after him.

I still think the combat is super slow and I would enjoy it twice as much if there was a fast forward option. Everything moves so slowly and it was the reason I gave up on the game on my first try a few years ago. There are enough fun skills and spells to use, but by the end game, I pretty much used the same AoE attacks in fights. The Dragovian trials made me mix things up as healing was very important. One thing I really like is how much difference some of the buffs can make. They can be the difference between defeat and glorious victory. That's not always the case in every jrpg. The battle system shone when you had to fight some of the fiercest monsters in the game. I was constantly on my toes. I got to admit that I had to try the Dragovian trials a few times before beating them. With some grinding and change of tactics, it all worked out.

The characters were great. I hated the ones that you are supposed to hate and the ones you are supposed to like are really likable. Angelo was and one or two more characters you meet through the story, I changed my mind about a lot. Yangus and Trode are two of my favorite characters. With that said, I must also say that I burst out lughing when Trode's curse was lifted. The way he looks, haha. What I love about the game is that it has this lighthearted look and feel, but shit gets really grim at points. It felt a bit like being in some kind of old tale. None of that "cool" fantasy, or whatever. And I love that about the game.

The voice acting was very solid. I still put FFXII in higher regard, but the voice actors did a great job here. I thought the British accents might be too much, but it didn't bother me one bit. The music is awesome, especially Heavenly Flight was bleedin' awesome.

It took me about 90 hours to do everything. I had to look at some checklists online to see that I hadn't missed anything. That's how I learned about the trials and the true ending.

My impressions are probably not easy to follow and a lot of it is probably blabber, but I wrote this message directly after beating the game.

Game 36: Serpent in the Staglands - 32 hours
PC

I'll copy paste my rpgcodex thoughts:
Well, I finished the game but I have a feeling that I missed a lot of stuff. I'm awful at writing impressions, but whatver the fuck, here they are:

What I liked:
The atmosphere was great and I loved the pixel graphics. The setting was also interesting, with it's eastern European influences. It was cool that spells could be used outside of combat to progress the game and solve some puzzles. The ending was great. I won't talk about it here, but I didn't fight who I thought I was going to fight. I played a fairly dickish character, and how it came back to show that to me in the last moments of the game was great. I hadn't really cared much about the story, but those moments were worth a lot and I have to give two thumbs up to the devs. I like that the story isn't about saving the world and stuff like that. In general, the writing was solid when it was there, but there are still spelling errors. It doesn't look so good when there are some in the last conversation of the game. I liked that the combat actions weren't super fast paced, even if most encounters were over fairly quickly. The loot you find is boring early on but you find some cool stuff as you go. I ended up with armors from blacksmith as they seemed to be the best the game had to offer. Not a lot of micromanaging was needed. And lastly, the exploration was a lot of fun. Having to find your next destination on your own and figure shit out is fun but...

What I didn't like:
...I'm actually not a super big fan of the journal. I don't want shit spelled out to me or have me pointed in the right direction, as the exploration was one of the best aspects of the game. On the other hand, there could have been small entries like: Find this character or that character, and stuff like that. I played the game in windowed mode and had Wordpad opened, so it isn't a huge deal. When it comes to difficulty, I think the game was a bit on the easy side, a lot of the time. I had trouble with a bounty and I never could figure out a way to stay alive when crawlers were around. Other than that, when you get some decent gear (and later on very good gear) most of the game becomes a cakewalk. Healing and physical shield, plus knockdowns got me a long way. I wish there was more writing. I guess the journals, letters and other things like that you find on your journey were well written. Companions barely had anything to say.

I personally rate Pillars of Eternity a little higher, but not by much. I played both games fairly similarly in combat. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, so I am happy that both exist and that I played these two games in the same year.

Game 37: Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut - 21 hours
PC

I beat the regular version when it came out but I decided that I wanted to go through the story with the improvements and added content before Shadowrun Hong Kong gets released. If you like wrpgs, this could be a game for you.

Game 38: Omerta: City of Gangsters - 16 hours
PC

On paper, this had the potential to become my favorite game of all time. Unfortunately, the missions were fairly boring and the fights were really bad. Stayed with it through the end, but by the end of the day, it isn't a game I will remember fondly.

Game 39: Fallout: New Vegas - Honest Hearts - 4 hours
PC

My favorite New Vegas DLC of the three that I have played. I have Lonesome Road left to play. Overall, I enjoyed it. I only wish it was a bit meatier and fleshed out. Liked Graham a lot.

Game 40: Shadowrun Hong Kong - 31 Hours
PC

Finally finished the game yesterday. I liked it, but in the end, it does not beat Dragonfall in quality.

During the final mission, the transition icon to progress wasn't interactive, so I had to redo the mission twice before it worked properly. That was a waste of 2 hours of my life. My final playtime according to Steam is 31 hours. I guess that's right if I count some reloads and leaving the game on while doing other stuff.

The writing is a mixed bag. I liked it most of the time, but by the end, I was just quickly skimming NPC dialog in the base hub because it was a bit much to read and not top quality at all times. It also doesn't help that they for some reason felt it is a good idea to have the text to the right for the third time. Just put the text on the lower part of the screen. I don't mind a lot of words in my games. There was a lot of cool stuff to read, but not all of it was good or well written. It's a bit jarring seeing some really well written sections and then some that are clearly not as good. When it comes to the main story: It was decent, just not anything super exciting. I'm not satisfied with the lead up to the ending. I didn't feel that there were enough missions that directly had to do with our main objective. In the end, I say the main story missions were decent, but again not on the level of Dragonfall.
The writing was mostly good during missions, with some misses here and there. Overall, I can't really complain though, but i was not at the same level as Dragonfall. The female companions weren't amazing but still better than Glory and the annoying decker, I always forget his name.
Duncan wasn't bad, but very predictable. I liked Racter and Gaichu. I also like the cyberware dude NPC. The other NPCs, I didn't care much for. The Plastic Faced Man was really underused. I was expecting to see more on that front. I was looking forward to the confrontation with him, the omemtn I have been waiting for finally happens and it turns out to be one of the more underwhelming missions in the game.

I felt that this was the easiest game of the three HBS Shadowrun games. (I do play on Normal.) I got to reload the game once during a run because I accidentally killed an enemy that I wasn't supposed to (and when I had issues with a game breaking bug during the final mission), but not for dying. Gaichu and Racter are incredibly good in combat, and the same goes for is0bel and Duncan. On one hand, I shouldn't complain, because, to be honest, I hate it when games give you companions that you feel suck in combat. I only wish that we could develop the characters as we see fit and have direct control of their inventories. There a few big fights, but mostly there were not as many big ones as Dragonfall DC. The enemy variety wasn't too impressive. Even Returns was better in this regard if I remember correctly.

If they decide to make another game in the vein of the three they have already developed, I hope we get a big overhaul of many things. Loot could be a fun addition, but it isn't a must have. Maybe only have it on special enemies. A more open world structure. I'm not saying open world, just make areas feel more connected. I don't want everything to be self contained. Bigger environments, and in general, make the game feel a bit more alive. I also felt that the game didn't run well. It ended up with me checking framrates and what I saw was a bit surprising. It kept going from 60 to 20, to 60 and so on. The game is very poorly optimized. Or maybe my PC is shit, it has more than half a decade on its neck. User interface is in dire need of a n overhaul. The game was developed for PC, make an interface worth of PC games. Everything from quest log to inventory needs to be redone.

The soundtrack was good. I probably prefer Dragonfall's slightly more, but I'd still say that this was a solid soundtrack that I will probably listen to a couple of times now that I am done with the game. In general, I feel that the atmosphere is actually good. Best of the three games. The game is cool and I am happy to have backed it, yet I feel that it isn't as good as Dragonfall. Not much worse, but it still is a clear second. Much better than Returns, though.

octopiggy

EuJFKMH.jpg

Game 9 - Picross e2 (3DS)
Completed all puzzles.
I'm still playing and enjoying a lot of puzzle games so moved onto this one after having fun with Picross e.
I was looking forward to trying out the Micross for the first time and thought they were a nice alternative to doing a large puzzle despite being more of the same. In fact the entire game is more of the same (in a good way).
I have since started e3 but pacing myself a bit more.

QCsHtuU.jpg

Game 10 - Metroid Prime (Wii)
Beat the final boss to see credits.
I've actually had the retail release of the Metroid Prime Trilogy on my shelf for years, but always found the prospect of starting an entire trilogy of games a bit daunting. When it got re-released on the eShop I got whipped up by the hype and got stuck in.
I found the game to be vomit inducing... literally. I got motion sickness in a way that I haven't had since playing Goldeye. I googled it and found that I wasn't alone. Once I turned off the HUD lag I was fine but that was about 3 days in to playing it.
I don't play a lot of FPS's nowadays and wasn't sure about how I would feel about it in this game but it was actually used in some really clever ways that felt like it was necessary. I did find myself a bit disorientated at times when pushed up against walls.
It's definitely a brilliant game but I think I prefer 2D Metroids overall.
I think I will take a bit of a rest before I play Prime 2.

Updated OP

Midn1ght

Update :

Game #11 : Limbo
LlqUZd0.jpg

Rating: ★★★★★ - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Playdead
One of my favorite game of all time, I played this game a lot on PC a few years ago so I had to buy it on PS4 and finish it again. I just love everything in this game, the art, the subtle music, the puzzles, etc...A platforming masterpiece for me. I just can't wait to get my hands on Playdead's next game "Inside".

Original Post

Teggy

Catchup post...

Original post

Game 33: Rochard - 6.5 hours
# Played on PC, finished 4/5. A fun little physics platformer with a pleasant cartoony look and competent VO. A shame that the devs are gone as I would like to see what they came up with next.

Game 34: Counterspy - 3 hours
# Played on PSVITA, finished 4/11. Finished the "story" on normal and played a little on advanced. I really like stealth games, but this one had a lot of problems. Load times for the procedurally generated levels were painfully long given the amount of time you spend in them, and performance was terrible for a game that really doesn't look all that good. Some rooms were close to slide-show bad. From a stealth perspective the game really forces your hand to kill, because you can't retrieve the needed items without alerting guards, and there isn't even an option for non-lethal takedowns. A bit upsetting, as I liked the concept of the game.

Game 35: Metroid Fusion - 5.75 hours
# Played on Wii U, finished 4/11. I'm sure my actual playtime was a lot longer given all the times I died to bosses. Bosses are definitely my weakness in these games. However, with the exception of needing to look up a strategy for
Nightmare X
I completed the whole game on my own (with some much needed breaks to calm down :) ). I was amazed how many secrets and even required paths were completely hidden, but once I figured that out, it became a lot easier to find my way. Despite that, I finished with only 49% item completion, which kind of blew me away. I also played the whole game on the Wii U gamepad, which was a great way to experience it.

Game 36: Superbrother Sword & Sworcery EP - 4 hours(?)
# Played on iOS, finished 4/26. It's very rare that I manage to finish an iOS game, so it was nice to knock one off the list.

Game 37: Star Ocean: First Departure - 20 hours
# Played on PSP, finished 5/4. Another JRPG finished! What I was most impressed by here was that I didn't even meet a lot of the playable characters, much less use them, and the way the game handled different situations based on which characters you had recruited. Plus, there are so many different mechanics and abilities in the game it can get overwhelming, and this was originally a SNES game! It must have really stood out in its time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom