• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Twig

Banned
Pseudo_Sam said:
Whatever. Why the hell am I talking about this?
'Cause it's fun!
Draft said:
That's fine.

I, like any true gamer, already own a DS.

But the man was clearly typing on something.
On the DS.

He was typing on the actual DS, and it was being displayed on the big screen, sans hand and stylus of course.

CTLance

ZealousD said:
If making an object takes more than 10-15 minutes I'd be surprised.
Just a thought experiment: We're talking far in excess of 5000 manhours here, if that's the case. There are tens of thousands of objects according to the devs, so at the very least we'll get 20k.

20 000 * 15 / 60 = 5 000

That is some serious work right there. So don't think it's all that easy to make. A single guy would work for nearly one and a half year day in, day out (assuming 10 hours of productiveness per day and no holidays or weekends) - and that's a seriously optimistic best-case estimate. Keep in mind that this would only account for some of the assets of objectnaut, not the game itself.

I do believe that Jackson & Co are faster (and smarter) than that, but it doesn't diminish the amount of work that they put into this project. Just think about it. Tens of thousands of objects. It's a nightmare even if every object is done within fifteen seconds (which would be a ridiculous assumption). There's still the entire game that would need to be coded, with level editor, online sharing, touchscreen implementation, scoring, achievements, and all the other crap they managed to stuff in there.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Yeah, it's such an ambitious idea that took a lot of work, can't even imagine. They definitely poured love into this.

I'll do my part by buying all my friends a copy that didn't buy it.

Ramenman

OKAY GAF LET'S SPREAD THE LOVE !

As you can see this neat bunch of artworks from Nintendo Power has a lot of potential uses, I made few avatars out of it.
I've mainly done the Human-shaped ones (they fit the avatar's proportions the most), I may do some more but not right now.

They all fit the avatar size restrictions, and they're hosted on tinypic so you can hotlink them right away.

2jeplcx.jpg
23vhv04.jpg
x4n0a1.jpg
1tammu.jpg
b5qgs7.jpg
2ilzcsi.jpg
28ankg8.jpg
2h2md4x.jpg
33124xy.jpg
2n6rkht.jpg
2prci35.jpg
35227i9.jpg
2moo3d0.jpg

pdk27

Ramenman said:
OKAY GAF LET'S SPREAD THE LOVE !

As you can see this neat bunch of artworks from Nintendo Power has a lot of potential uses, I made few avatars out of it.
I've mainly done the Human-shaped ones (they fit the avatar's proportions the most), I may do some more but not right now.

They all fit the avatar size restrictions, and they're hosted on tinypic so you can hotlink them right away.

Thanks! I'll help spread the Scribblenauts love. This game looks amazing

ElNarez

Banned
Picking up the Wizaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard.

EDIT : Damnit ! Picking up the French, and don't even think about picking it up before I do.

CTLance

2h2md4x.jpg

Oh shit, I didn't notice Travis was in the game!

... I want to call dibs, but so far I've never changed my avatar beyond simple shops. Someone please change theirs, so that I can live vicariously through them.

Lyude77

CTLance said:
2h2md4x.jpg

Oh shit, I didn't notice Travis was in the game!

... I want to call dibs, but so far I've never changed my avatar beyond simple shops. Someone please change theirs, so that I can live vicariously through them.
I took Travis, you can live vicariously through me. :D

That was convenient, I had been needing an avatar for a while but was too lazy.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I would alter my avatar to make her look more like a character from Scribblenauts, but I've made it No More Heroes 2-ish already, so... sorry!

GDGF

Soothsayer
GODDAMIT I was playing LOTR:Online and I missed out on the avatar love.

Oh well it's all good. I would have shot myself if there was a robot that I missed out on, though :lol

ElNarez

Banned
GDGF said:
GODDAMIT I was playing LOTR:Online and I missed out on the avatar love.

Oh well it's all good. I would have shot myself if there was a robot that I missed out on, though :lol
You still have the cheerleader

Gattsu25

Banned
The concept seems great and the time traveling dino riding brings a smile to my face...but...are the individual scenarios all small affairs?

From the vids that I've seen, the levels all seem to be imaginative yet small areas.

fresquito

Gattsu25 said:
The concept seems great and the time traveling dino riding brings a smile to my face...but...are the individual scenarios all small affairs?

From the vids that I've seen, the levels all seem to be imaginative yet small areas.
I don't think that's the important thing. If you pay atention, it's being creative which is fun. You only need a pool with a shark to end up being chased by shadowy asassins that get blown (with the entire level) as you shot a nuke by mistake with your laser rifle. The important thing will be thinking out of the box.

Ramenman

Gattsu25 said:

Well there's something like 220 of them so their smallness isn't much of an issue.

They could have made longer levels with multiple obstacles/puzzles/challenges, but the big point of the game is finding the craziest way to achieve each puzzle/challenge by replaying them to death, so I guess "lots of little levels" is more fitting to this approach (that's just me though).

Top Bottom