• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XenobladeX |Import OT| Discovery of Superb View: http://youtu.be/HgIXNOEv_40

TheMoon

Zero²;162451957 said:
It seems someone ripped a lot of songs from the game... if you guys wanna a link, just PM me.
I'd post a link, but Sawano songs are really heavy copyrighted, so I think it's better go with precaution :p If you guys think its ok, just tell me.
There is a lot of songs, including the amazing cave theme! :D

Even World Enemies too? Or they arent considered Overeds?

World Enemies are World Enemies, they are above "Overed."

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This game has sooo many systems. Just got into chapter 4 and opened up all of the online stuff. I kind of like how they take the approach of "give it a try and figure it out for yourself" instead of taking the usual Japanese dev approach of lengthy heavy-handed tutorials for everything.

I continue to loathe the music in town, especially the morning/afternoon song. It's just ridiculous and grating on my ears. Since it doesn't appear that you can turn off the music in the game, I've taken to just removing my earphones while in town.

The music in general just feels extremely out of place for a game like this. Obviously, it's highly subjective, but man... it doesn't work for me at all.

wanders

This game has sooo many systems. Just got into chapter 4 and opened up all of the online stuff. I kind of like how they take the approach of "give it a try and figure it out for yourself" instead of taking the usual Japanese dev approach of lengthy heavy-handed tutorials for everything.

I continue to loathe the music in town, especially the morning/afternoon song. It's just ridiculous and grating on my ears. Since it doesn't appear that you can turn off the music in the game, I've taken to just removing my earphones while in town.

The music in general just feels extremely out of place for a game like this. Obviously, it's highly subjective, but man... it doesn't work for me at all.

I get what you mean about the music

The NLA night music is the only song I have a problem with. Its great to have music thats contrasting kinda like how Dragon's Dogma has pieces of rock music in the title screen, MC creation screen, etc. It works in that case.

But the night music seems out of place and disjointed

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I get what you mean about the music

The NLA night music is the only song I have a problem with. Its great to have music thats contrasting kinda like how Dragon's Dogma has pieces of rock music in the title screen, MC creation screen, etc. It works in that case.

But the night music seems out of place and disjointed

The night music with the "uhh, uhh, yeah" psuedo-hip hop is annoying, but it doesn't compare to the afternoon music for me. I can't stand that gravelly female voice singing "dib dab dabadoo" with amateur hour drums playing in the background and some dude going "I can't hear you." It's also terribly dumb sounding to me.

Zero²

World Enemies are World Enemies, they are above "Overed."
Makes sense :p
The night music with the "uhh, uhh, yeah" psuedo-hip hop is annoying, but it doesn't compare to the afternoon music for me. I can't stand that gravelly female voice singing "dib dab dabadoo" with amateur hour drums playing in the background and some dude going "I can't hear you." It's also terribly dumb sounding to me.
Did you like the blade area music at least?
The NLA themes are really good to me, more the day one than the night one. The Ma-non spaceship themes on the other hand... Ehhh I like it but it's nothing that special.

Sorry if it has been askes/answered 10 times already, but did the early buyers confirm that the main story is at least similar to Xenoblade Wii ?

Many thanks.

TheMoon

Sorry if it has been askes/answered 10 times already, but did the early buyers confirm that the main story is at least similar to Xenoblade Wii ?

Many thanks.

You probably should elaborate a bit because you're question is very ... odd? The story is nothing like Xenoblade which you probably know if you have watched any videos about this game.

You probably should elaborate a bit because you're question is very ... odd? The story is nothing like Xenoblade which you probably know if you have watched any videos about this game.

From the numerous vids I watched, very little of the story was revealed. I just want to know if there's a main story as focused as in the previous game i the franchise.

TheMoon

From the numerous vids I watched, very little of the story was revealed. I just want to know if there's a main story as focused as in the previous game i the franchise.

What does "focused" mean? I feel you want to know something very specific and I would just tell you of course there is a shit ton of story but it's not a linear corridor you're being shuffled down this time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

It's hard to say since I'm still pretty early, but it definitely feels a lot more like an open-ended MMORPG to me than Xenoblade did. The story get focused later on, but as of now I'm free to do whatever and the next "story mission" won't unlock until I perform some of the more mundane tasks, so it's very theme park MMO in that regard.

What does "focused" mean? I feel you want to know something very specific and I would just tell you of course there is a shit ton of story but it's not a linear corridor you're being shuffled down this time.

I just want to be certain there is a deep/interresting story to enjoy with nice writing and characters, and not just a succession of quest like, go there and kill this.

chadboban

zlCfzTTzbAkLuqwpv0

TheMoon

I just want to be certain there is a deep/interresting story to enjoy with nice writing and characters, and not just a succession of quest like, go there and kill this.

Then the obvious answer is yes and you'd have learned that much that much from any of the story trailers or presentations.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

So far that has been the bulk of it. Cutscene -> go to location and kill something -> return for cutscene and reward and repeat.

Again, I'm still not far. Just really opened up the main game (freely choose party members, access to online, etc.)

ozfunghi

So far that has been the bulk of it. Cutscene -> go to location and kill something -> return for cutscene and reward and repeat.

Again, I'm still not far. Just really opened up the main game (freely choose party members, access to online, etc.)

How far along are you exactly?

Well I think it's basically the same for every JRPG...

Vena

This is what a JRPG is, the only question is if you're getting shuffled down a long corridor (any Final Fantasy after IX, or Xenoblade) or not. Xenoblade X takes queues more from JRPGs of old like the older DQs or FFs where the world is effectively "open" to you to explore but you have to complete quests or go to certain locations to progress in the story.

They've effectively taken the world map idea from the older generations of JRPGs and turned it into a 3D world (much as FFXV is seemingly trying to also do... but I have my misgivings about that game from what I played from the demo). Certain segments "outside of the world" are gated by cutscenes/quests but the world is effectively open-ended for you to do whatever in, in whatever order. Its actually more free that a lot of the older JRPGs which, while having a world, were for the most part restricted in order of access until late-game.

Take FFIX for example, the world is there but you are railroaded from the Alexandria to Burmecia to Lindblum to the Tree until you get the Invincible and then the world becomes entirely open except for the "end".

Could you? It definitely had a different feel to me.

Xenoblade is a "corridor" game, its just set in an open-ish world. But everything is a chain of quests from point A to point B, effectively just shuffling the player/Shulk from cutscene to cutscene to progress the plot. You can take other quests to branch out into the world, but the main plot is just what you described of Xenoblade X, presented linearly rather than radially.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, maybe. I guess if you break it down enough, every game in existence is "get goal" -> "accomplish goal" -> repeat. I think the way it's constructed and its various parts feel very different to most JRPGs and even the first Xenoblade. I'm not saying this in a negative way or anything--I tend to like MMORPGs (until I get tired of them). The "hub with quest givers" structure is fine with me.

Vena

Yeah, maybe. I guess if you break it down enough, every game in existence is "get goal" -> "accomplish goal" -> repeat. I think the way it's constructed and its various parts feel very different to most JRPGs and even the first Xenoblade. I'm not saying this in a negative way or anything--I tend to like MMORPGs (until I get tired of them). The "hub with quest givers" structure is fine with me.

This is more a question of gameplay mechanics informed by lore. Takahashi is pretty adapt at this for better or worse of his designs. Think about how Xenoblade's combat mechanics arise from the very lore of the Monado's powers. Xenoblade is a quest from the Bionis's shin to the head to the Mechonis to face Zanza, it makes sense for it to be linear because its a long journey from home.

NLA is a crashed ship on an alien planet, it is lore-logic to make most of the game revolve around exploring from the core (the crashed ship) and taking quests from there and returning to there after every completion. It is very MMO-like but its not "tiered" like an MMO with arbitrary distinctions on zones/levels.

And do note, I am not arguing against you or saying you're wrong. This is simply game-design discussion. :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is more a question of gameplay mechanics informed by lore. Takahashi is pretty adapt at this for better or worse of his designs. Think about how Xenoblade's combat mechanics arise from the very lore of the Monado's powers. Xenoblade is a quest from the Bionis's shin to the head to the Mechonis to face Zanza, it makes sense for it to be linear because its a long journey from home.

NLA is a crashed ship on an alien planet, it is lore-logic to make most of the game revolve around exploring from the core (the crashed ship) and taking quests from there and returning to there after every completion. It is very MMO-like but its not "tiered" like an MMO with arbitrary distinctions on zones/levels.

I'm not saying the lore doesn't match the game structure, although I am skeptical that they came up with a story first and completely determined the gameplay design based on that.

In regards to the zones not being tiered, I can't really speak to that yet since I have only been to a few segments surrounding NLA, but it certainly seems like the general level of enemies rises as you get farther from the town. It's really cool how they mix in high level targets in the newbie areas, though. Makes you really want to level up and come back for them later.

Raide

One of the main things many MMO's are doing is starting a quest and then progressing on the overall plot of that quest while leading players to an end. Many of them tie into a larger story made up of those quests. The "Goto B and kill/collect 10 of these and come back to A." Is old hat.

Xenoblade seems to have a foot in really cool new stuff camp and another foot firmly in "Ain't changing nothing!" camp.

The world looks so amazing and yet it seems to be filled with plenty of the old-school MMO trappings. Really love the idea of investigating a fresh new world without dragging my ass back to base every quest of two.

Still gunna play it like mad!

Overside

Banned
I'm not saying the lore doesn't match the game structure, although I am skeptical that they came up with a story first and completely determined the gameplay design based on that.

In regards to the zones not being tiered, I can't really speak to that yet since I have only been to a few segments surrounding NLA, but it certainly seems like the general level of enemies rises as you get farther from the town. It's really cool how they mix in high level targets in the newbie areas, though. Makes you really want to level up and come back for them later.

I dont think they did either, nor would I want them too. Horrible design ethos.

But, I really dont even have to think about it for X, the gameplay by and large existed before the game ever began production, its building on the shoulders of the previous game.

jorgejjvr

In all seriousness, why does the media not talk much about Xenoblade
Chronicles X? I heard NVC and Jose Otero said that this game is not as big as Mario and zelda, it might not be in popularity but in all other aspects it is.

I wrote this by email to NVC, never got a response, so I am providing it to you guys for discussions:

" Why aren't you guys, the media, or just gaming sites in general not talking and hyping up this game? It is, in my opinion, shaping up to be the best game this
year, this game deserves more attention. If you haven't, I suggest you
take a look at the 'Dolls' direct that recently happen, this game is
ambitious in every way possible. I would like to know you guy’s opinion
about this game. I know we are all bumped out about Zelda and we are
looking for a game to replace it, but I think you guys are missing this
game right under your noses. In my opinion this game replaces Zelda for
this year, Zelda is aiming to be big, and chances are this game is
bigger. Zelda will hopefully have a lot of contecnt, yet X has already
proven to be overflowing with content and things to do, and will
probably give you easily over 100+ hours of gameplay. Zelda will be
amazing, but if X is just half (and it is already shaping up to be
better) than Xenoblade Chronicles, then it will already be a
masterpiece. Please discuss."

jorgejjvr

What are early adopters overall opinion of this game so far? Are you loving it? Is it as good as xenoblade? Does it have the potential to be better? Does not being able to see into the future for combat leaves something to be desired? Are the mechs what you expected? Great story? Sorry for all the questions xD and please no spoilers

Overside

Banned
Chronicles X? I heard NVC and Jose Otero said that this game is not as big as Mario and zelda, it might not be in popularity but in all other aspects it is.

I wrote this by email to NVC, never got a response, so I am providing it to you guys for discussions:

" Why aren't you guys, the media, or just gaming sites in general not talking and hyping up this game? It is, in my opinion, shaping up to be the best game this

Man, they arent missing it, they are ignoring it.

jorgejjvr

Man, they arent missing it, they are ignoring it.
Even worse. Instead I see all the talk about Batman, bloodborne, MLX, and I'm like..... Best rpg coming out soon.... Why do you guys not care?? Made a big deal about GTAV and here is a bigger, probably better game

Hiltz

Perhaps most of the media is not talking about Xenoblade X because it is only released in Japan. That and and most journalists don't seem to know Japanese, you know? More media is going to cover upcoming game releases this month such as with Witcher 3 and Splatoon over Xenoblade X because it's simply not out yet overseas. Hopefully, we'll get some hands-on Xenoblade coverage at E3, but then again, it's not an easy game to demo at an industry event. Maybe we will instead see Nintendo's Treehouse team do some live stream demo coverage of it like what they did last year.

Kyoufu

What are early adopters overall opinion of this game so far? Are you loving it? Is it as good as xenoblade? xD

It's a mixed bag tbh.

Stuff I like:

- Open world with plenty of monsters for me to kill with the fun battle system
- Lots of loot

Stuff I don't like:

- Music. OHHH WOA OH WOOOOOAAA
- Quest design is bland

I'm only at chapter 3 so I still haven't gotten to playing around with the Dolls yet, but I'm hoping the game gets better and the story events become interesting.

Overside

Banned
Even worse. Instead I see all the talk about Batman, bloodborne, MLX, and I'm like..... Best rpg coming out soon.... Why do you guys not care?? Made a big deal about GTAV and here is a bigger, probably better game

Because there isnt a massive marketing campaign to leech off of.

jorgejjvr

Perhaps most of the media is not talking about Xenoblade X because it is only released in Japan. That and and most journalists don't seem to know Japanese, you know? More media is going to cover upcoming game releases this month such as with Witcher 3 and Splatoon over Xenoblade X because it's simply not out yet overseas. Hopefully, we'llg et some hands-on Xenoblade coverage at E3, but then again, it's not an easy game to demo at an industry event. Maybe we will instead see Nintendo's Treehouse team do some live stream demo coverage of it like what they did last year.
Right but games are hyped up so much, games that sometimes have no game play shown, or a merely cgi trailer, or a short trailer filled with action and they get way too much attention. All before release and before we know much about it. I mean the concensus that oh that xenoblade game, as per Jose, 'i cringe when people put it up there with Mario and zelda, like go a couple of steps down'. It is not being seen as a must have, high quality game, when it is, and likely better than all these other AAA games, and this game has way more content. A shooter with a 8 hour campaign and online multi-player, which we get every year, gets wayyyy too much attention

Nanashrew

Banned
I always kind of find it weird that many games media don't have a Japanese branch or have people that do better understand the language to get scoops or show off games from japan. I think it's important that game sites be more worldwide.

Apparently IGN will get a Japan branch at some point though, which I hope means more coverage of Japanese games as branches could communicate with one another. http://world.ign.com/

jorgejjvr

It's a mixed bag tbh.

Stuff I like:

- Open world with plenty of monsters for me to kill with the fun battle system
- Lots of loot

Stuff I don't like:

- Music. OHHH WOA OH WOOOOOAAA
- Quest design is bland

I'm only at chapter 3 so I still haven't gotten to playing around with the Dolls yet, but I'm hoping the game gets better and the story events become interesting.
Did you play xenoblade?

I love all the music I've heard so far, and music is subjective so on that front I'm good

Quests, are just like xenoblade and not the main point of this game, you pick random Quests and while you are roaming the world you do them as they come, no attachment to finish them all

And with xeno, the story gets better and better the more you play, and twist at every turn.

So I guess, a comparison between xeno would make more sense to me. As I hold xeno as one of the best games of all times

Overside

Banned
Right but games are hyped up so much, games that sometimes have no game play shown, or a merely cgi trailer, or a short trailer filled with action and they get way too much attention. All before release and before we know much about it. I mean the concensus that oh that xenoblade game, as per Jose, 'i cringe when people put it up there with Mario and zelda, like go a couple of steps down'. It is not being seen as a must have, high quality game, when it is, and likely better than all these other AAA games, and this game has way more content. A shooter with a 8 hour campaign and online multi-player, which we get every year, gets wayyyy too much attention

Go back and look at those games, and find the publisher.

You are very quickly going to see the same names appearing over and over.

Lumyst

This is why, I think. If it were more popular among WiiU owners overall (not just us gaming enthusiasts) or people reading articles about Nintendo's content, it would get more coverage from professional outlets, where the more popular topics get them more ad revenue. A little off topic, but there's a user here named John Harker, who has a lot of insight about this stuff, and he's chimed in at times to educate about this kind of thing, even directly pertaining to this game. He predicted (or downright knew based on experience :p) Nintendo would do targeted web videos, maybe some web ads closer to release, to promote the game, and sure enough, that kind of mechanism is what Nintendo seems to be using. In the Iwata Asks for Xenoblade 3d and X, Iwata sounded very pleased about how word of mouth spread for the Wii game, so that kind of mechanism, where gaming fans can show off some of the web content to other gaming fans, is probably best for this game. Nintendo themselves gave it their approval ;-)

jorgejjvr

Go back and look at those games, and find the publisher.

You are very quickly going to see the same names appearing over and over.
Yeah, I guess I'm just saying it just a shame how all this works. As the better games do not get the attention they deserve. Truly a shame. This game size and beauty is mind blowing.

Hiltz

Well, as we all know, it's up to Nintendo to promote its game and how it chooses to do so.. As the game's localization makes progress, we'll naturally get to see some more coverage of the game by the press, but it obviously just be most of the things we've already seen before, albeit just in English. However, I don't think we'll see several updated hands-on preview builds of it. I think Nintendo will just release it once to give the media a better idea of what western gamers can from it before they send out review copies. They'll just spread out the video coverage clips over the coming months ahead. Monolith Soft's done some promotion of the game itself through its website updates and non-Nintendo Direct videos explaining some of the gameplay systems and things of that nature, but obviously only in Japanese. Nintendo's only provided some translated coverage of the same content already shown. Hopefully, Nintendo will bring the game to E3 with some form of decent coverage in order to hype the game up for its upcoming release overseas. Quite frankly, much of the game has already been revealed, except for what I assume will be its crazy story plot.

What are early adopters overall opinion of this game so far? Are you loving it? Is it as good as xenoblade? Does it have the potential to be better? Does not being able to see into the future for combat leaves something to be desired? Are the mechs what you expected? Great story? Sorry for all the questions xD and please no spoilers
I think it'll probably be better, but I don't think I'm even halfway done yet, so who knows. The Soul Voices alone make up for the lack of visions in my opinion. The OC Gears, Dolls, and general customizability just make all of that even better.

The Dolls are a little hard to control, particularly when jumping, but they make exploring so much more fun. It was already fun on foot, trying to climb things and find the next area, but in the Dolls you can zoop around all over the place, even before you can fly.

I'm enjoying the story. The main story been reasonably interesting, but all of the little things happening around it make it feel much more alive. I think the later story quests will make everything even better, and I still have two continents left to explore(and large sections of the first three).

Top Bottom