• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

platypotamus said:
Came in to ask the same thing. Also accepting advice on WiiWare games. It's completely unfathomable to me that none of the major review sites (or metacritic/gamerankings) allow you to look at a list of just DSiWare or WiiWare.

Nintendo Life has dedicated sections with reviews, previews, and the like for DSiware and Wiiware games (older reviews are hidden under "Games", and not "Reviews", funnily enough) - the website is what used to be both VC-reviews and Wiiware-World.

Jazzem said:
Are Aquia and Pictobits generally seen as the best DSi Art Style games then?
As far as America goes, they're generally seen as the only ones so far. Though from my own memories of this thread it seems like Code/Decode which is out in Japan and Europe has seen the most positive response.

Capndrake

splattergnome said:
(older reviews are hidden under "Games", and not "Reviews", funnily enough)
Everything's there for me, just click whatever service you want stuff for (VC, DSiWare, WiiWare) at the top of the site and then click Reviews just below that. Lists every single one.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Well Space Harrier II is more or less a sequel to Space Harrier in the arcades. While the concept and gameplay are near-exact SH2 features entirely new bosses, enemies, and a few slight gameplay alterations(like enemies attacking from the sides and rear).

On the flipside however part 2 is quite choppy and seems to run at less than half the framerate of part 1(and well just plain looks worse in general). It's still playable as I picked it up on a whim about a week ago and played through it with little trouble. It's a fine game in its own right but nowhere near the original.

So, Space Harrier and Space Harrier II are not actually the same game? (Technical issues aside.)

Sega pulled that with After Burner, creating a Genesis "sequel" that was really just a 16-bit version of the original.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Come on Nintendo. Give me a good Father's Day present tomorrow.

Gagaman

DaBargainHunta said:
So, Space Harrier and Space Harrier II are not actually the same game? (Technical issues aside.)

Sega pulled that with After Burner, creating a Genesis "sequel" that was really just a 16-bit version of the original.
Nope, Space Harrier II is actually a sequel, with completely different stages and bosses. I believe After Burner I and II were both in arcades, and II was nothing more than an upgrade with extra levels and a different cabinet.

Gagaman said:
Nope, Space Harrier II is actually a sequel, with completely different stages and bosses. I believe After Burner I and II were both in arcades, and II was nothing more than an upgrade with extra levels and a different cabinet.

Awesome! I'm all over Space Harrier then.

So SimEarth on T16 any good? I've always been curious and since it's coming tomorrow thought it would be a good Monday download.

Stumpokapow said:
The current top choices would be:
Mighty Flip Champs (800, puzzle)
Art Style: Aquia (500, puzzle)
Art Style: Pictobits (500, puzzle)

Some people might recommend Bird and Bean (200), Paper Airplane Chase (200), or Dr. Mario (500).

Everybody with a DSi should definitely pick up this little gem.

Gagaman

DaBargainHunta said:
Awesome! I'm all over Space Harrier then.
Good, because the arcade game is badass.

BUT! Do you have a PS3 or 360? Just a note as you can get Space harrier arcade on Ultimate mega Drive/genesis Collection. All round cheaper on that. If not grab it on VC.

Stumpokapow said:

Some people might recommend Bird and Bean (200), Paper Airplane Chase (200), or Dr. Mario (500).

Thanks Stump, I'll check these ones out.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm going to have to reiterate the recommendation of Mighty Flip Champs. Such an awesome game that unfortunately got overlooked because it was released during E3.

If you like the game, try resurrecting the official thread (I tried and failed).

Meesh

Any thoughts on what we'll be getting tomorrow...still hoping for FF1, god bless that Hironobu Sakaguchi.

Stumpokapow said:

I'd add Mario vs. DK (800) to that list. Damn, I've spent 4000 points on my DSi already? (all that plus Warioware)

AniHawk

To inject a little sales-age in here:

I forgot how this works. I know you have to agree to something to allow Nintendo to use your logged hours for research and whatnot, but I don't know where it pops up. Anyway, some Nintendo channel download/usage numbers:

Mii Channel: 2,415,819
Wii Shop: 2,241,849
Forecast Channel: 2,101,250
Nintendo Channel: 1,543,140
Check Mii Out Channel: 1,436,249
Everybody Votes Channel: 1,300,092
Internet Channel: 992,144

So with so many channels having a higher number than the Nintendo Channel, I think it's possible that Nintendo actually collects data regardless of your say-so in the Nintendo Channel. Here are the numbers I found:

Mario Series:
Mario Bros.: 44,837
Super Mario Bros.: 341,598
Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels: 71,362
Super Mario Bros. 2: 124,742
Super Mario Bros. 3: 380,858
Super Mario World: 226,108
Super Mario 64: 194,324

Zelda Series:
Zelda II: 43,528
A Link to the Past: 112,060
Ocarina of Time: 146,395

Sonic Series:
Sonic the Hedgehog: 74,634
Sonic the Hedgehog 2: 43,737
Sonic the Hedgehog 3: 39,236

Donkey Kong Series:
Donkey Kong: 83,009
Donkey Kong Country: 106,966
Donkey Kong Country 2: 45,712
Donkey Kong Country 3: 24,356

WiiWare:
1. Defend Your Castle: 79,799
2. My Pokemon Ranch: 78,704
3. Dr. Mario Rx: 63,189
4. My Life as a King: 57,238
5. My Aquarium: 55,667
6. World of Goo: 51,774
7. LostWinds: 45,172
8. Mega Man IX: 39,449
9. Tetris Party: 38,279
10. Strong Bad Episode 1: 23,190 (Strong Bad Episode 2: 7,710)

VC:
1. Super Mario Bros. 3: 380,858
2. Super Mario Bros.: 341,598
3. Super Mario World: 226,108
4. Mario Kart 64: 204,841
5. Super Mario 64: 194,324
6. Ocarina of Time: 146,395
7. Super Mario Bros. 2: 124,742
8. Punch-Out: 123,129
9. Paper Mario: 117,158
10. A Link to the Past: 112,060

N64:
1. Mario Kart 64: 204,841
2. Super Mario 64: 194,324
3. Ocarina of Time: 146,395
4. Paper Mario: 117,158
5. Star Fox 64: 104,414
6. Pokemon Snap: 64,437
7. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards: 54,450
8. Yoshi Story: 46,705
9. Sin & Punishment: 36,838
10. F-Zero X: 22,721

NES:
1. Super Mario Bros. 3: 380,858
2. Super Mario Bros.: 341,598
3. Super Mario Bros. 2: 124,742
4. Punch-Out: 123,129
5. Kirby's Adventure: 111,789
6. Donkey Kong: 83,009
7. Pac-Man: 72,845
8. Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels: 71,362
9. Kid Icarus: 55,736
10. Excitebike: 50,789

SNES:
1. Super Mario World: 226,108
2. A Link to the Past: 112,060
3. Donkey Kong Country: 106,966
4. Super Metroid: 81,997
5. Super Mario RPG: 52,921
6. Donkey Kong Country 2: 45,712
7. Super Castlevania IV: 39,047
8. Contra III: 35,402
9. Street Fighter II World Warrior: 33,939
10. Street Fighter II Turbo: 29,359

Other stuff:
Metroid: 50,704
Galaga: 43,347
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 41,890
Tecmo Bowl: 40,555
Ninja Gaiden: 34,591
Castlevania: 33,480
Super C: 21,850

Super Street Fighter II: 22,078
Super Ghouls N Ghosts: 14,340

Gunstar Heroes: 44,552
Toejam & Earl: 28,827

Pokemon Puzzle League: 8,805

WiiWare/VC Top 10 in terms of revenue:
1. Mario Kart 64: $2,048,410
2. Super Mario 64: $1,943,240
3. Super Mario Bros. 3: $1,904,290
4. Super Mario World: $1,808,864
5. Super Mario Bros.: $1,707,990
6. Ocarina of Time: $1,463,950
7. Paper Mario: $1,171,580
8. Star Fox 64: $1,044,140
9. A Link to the Past: $896,480
10. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King: $858,570

Those sales/download numbers are interesting; it definitely seems like Nintendo and others use them to gauge interest in sequels. A few of those high selling IPs have suddenly reappeared after lengthy absences.

AniHawk said:
So with so many channels having a higher number than the Nintendo Channel, I think it's possible that Nintendo actually collects data regardless of your say-so in the Nintendo Channel.
I think you have to use a channel for one hour before it's counted. I doubt that they're collecting info from people that don't use the Nintendo Channel, otherwise what would be the purpose of them asking you if you want to share data?

Regulus Tera said:
I still don't understand how these sales numbers led NoA to localise S&P2.

I'm not complaining, but I don't see this as such a high number.

After all the hype I was expecting more.
Those aren't total sales. You can check the numbers for retail games and I believe the number of people who played Mario Galaxy was around 1/6 of its lifetime NPD sales. For other games like Zack & Wiki it was close to 1/2.

pakkit

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
I still don't understand how these sales numbers led NoA to localise S&P2.

I'm not complaining, but I don't see this as such a high number.

After all the hype I was expecting more.
The sample size is pretty small. The Mii Channel is an undeletable channel on the Wii system, and there are only over 2 million recorded users from the Nintendo's data. We know that there are over 50 million Wiis in circulation right now, so we're getting a pretty small amount of data from a large group.

Also, I bet the reason Nintendo Channel has less then other channels is because you can opt for data recording, but delete the channel at any time. So I opted in, and then deleted the channel when I ran out of room (and then redownloaded the channel when the SD card fix came).

Rlan

via that way of getting numbers, I'd love to know what the Taito WiiWare games (Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands) have done. Also how have the Master System games done?

Rlan said:
via that way of getting numbers, I'd love to know what the Taito WiiWare games (Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands) have done. Also how have the Master System games done?
The numbers don't show up until it's been played by a certain number of Nintendo Channel users (I think for most games it's 10k, but apparently some games show up with less?) and none of the Master System games even have pages up since Nintendo never bothered to add any VC games the Nintendo Channel since it launched, outside of a select few (SMRPG, launch C64 and VCArcade).

Somnid

Numbers are pretty interesting. Some of those VC games must be nearing or exceeding the 1 million mark worldwide which is a nice sign. Unfortunate that Nintendo is over represented but I'm really happy to see Punch-Out!! up there.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 41,890
Give us the fucking sequels already! I'll pay a high premium if I have to. Jesus, it's free money.

zigg

Somnid said:
Unfortunate that Nintendo is over represented

Well, that just seems to be one of the sad truths of Nintendo-dom today; appears there's an unsettling number of people who buy the hardware to be a "Nintendo player" and completely ignore or discount anyone else's effort. That's certainly been my anecdotal theory.

Somnid

zigg said:
Well, that just seems to be one of the sad truths of Nintendo-dom today; appears there's an unsettling number of people who buy the hardware to be a "Nintendo player" and completely ignore or discount anyone else's effort. That's certainly been my anecdotal theory.

It seems right. It's interesting that it works to such a degree though. Where Nintendo excels they are completely untouchable.

More than anything though Nintendo should start highlighting some of the back catalog. Like put a rotating game of the day on the shop for $1 discount everyday or something.

zigg said:

What (grimly) amuses me is the number of people here and elsewhere who bitch and moan about Nintendo "dominating" their platforms, but who pop up in other threads saying "yeah, I just bought Nintendo Console X for Zelda/Mario/etc."

antispin

Cosmonaut X said:
What (grimly) amuses me is the number of people here and elsewhere who bitch and moan about Nintendo "dominating" their platforms, but who pop up in other threads saying "yeah, I just bought Nintendo Console X for Zelda/Mario/etc."
YES! Agreed.

So what's on tap for this week? Any clues/info? Cave Story? Sniff.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: CUT STRAIGHT TO THE FUN WITH PAPER, PLANETS, PUZZLES, MIND GAMES AND MINI GOLF

June 22, 2009

Familiar activities get a funky boost with this week's additions to the Wii™ Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi Shop™. A trio of fresh WiiWare™ titles will have players wrapping their minds around unique puzzles, entertaining brain drills and awesome mini-golf courses. A new Art Style™ game for Nintendo DSiWare™ turns cutting paper into a cool hand-held gaming challenge. And simple things like air and weather conditions become exciting game elements in the latest classic offering on the Virtual Console™.

WiiWare

Drill Sergeant Mindstrong
Publisher: XSEED Games
Players: 1-4
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Mild Language, Mild Violence
Price: 800 Wii Points™
Description: Line up and get ready to use your mind. Drill Sergeant Mindstrong is a party game that allows up to four people to play at once. Players become boot-camp trainees under the tough Drill Sergeant Mindstrong, going through mind-boggling, mind-training games. The rules are simple, but concentration and quick thinking are key. Become the top boot of your class and earn promotions based on your efforts. This game is best played with friends and family.

NEVES Plus™
Publisher:YUKES Company of America
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 600 Wii Points
Description:Try your hand at the newest puzzle craze to come out of Japan, NEVES Plus! Enhanced for WiiWare, NEVES Plus not only retains all the simple, mind-bending tangram-based game play from the original Nintendo DS™ version, but also includes new multiplayer modes wrapped up in an Egyptian theme. This time, you and up to three others can work together to move, rotate and flip the seven Lucky stones into each of the 500-plus silhouette puzzles. You can also challenge one another in new multiplayer modes such as Versus, Speed, Lucky Number and Party Mode. Whether you play every mode by yourself or with friends, NEVES Plus is set to charm you with harder-than-they-look silhouette puzzles.

Family Mini Golf
Publisher: Aksys Games
Players: 1-8
Price: 500 Wii Points
Description: Daddy, Mommy, Sarah and Billy are back for some mini-golf action. Play through multiple golf courses that contain obstacles ranging from bumpers to speed ramps to fans and more. Up to eight players can play together using a single Wii Remote™ controller. You can download new courses to expand your fun-filled mini-golf experience, creating even more complex and difficult challenges to overcome. Can you conquer all the courses and become the mini-golf champion?

Nintendo DSiWare

Art Style: BOXLIFE™
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: Climb the corporate ladder in the world of BOXLIFE using your wits and... paper? Use the Nintendo DSi™ stylus to cut and then manipulate the paper into a box shape. Be careful-if you're not efficient with your cuts, you'll waste paper and be penalized. R&D mode teaches you new patterns and challenges you to complete various ranks, while FACTORY mode gives you the chance to earn money by making as many boxes as possible from an endless sheet of paper. Success in each mode brings its own reward: Clear ranks to earn a promotion, change your character's appearance, and use your earnings to acquire new items for your character's miniature garden. With this game's stylish graphics and catchy sounds, thinking inside the box isn't such a bad thing.

Virtual Console

SimEarth™: The Living Planet
Original platform: TurboGrafx16 CD-ROM
Publisher: Hudson Entertainment
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Violent References
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: An entire planet becomes your laboratory in this large-scale simulation game. Players help foster new life and promote its evolution into life forms of higher intelligence. Guide civilization along the path of evolution until it can achieve Exodus, the ultimate goal of settling on another planet. The basic challenge of the game is to maintain a comfortable environment for the life forms by adjusting atmospheric and geological parameters. Small organisms called Prokaryote and Trichordate will grow and evolve into a multitude of life forms. Making a drastic change is a recipe for disaster. The key to success is making small adjustments and watching how the life forms react. SimEarth also includes planets with environments different from Earth, such as Mars and Venus. Try your hand at terraforming these planets with harsh conditions and creating a world where life can thrive.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.

yay boxlife!

Nintendo of America Press Release said:
NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: CUT STRAIGHT TO THE FUN WITH PAPER, PLANETS, PUZZLES, MIND GAMES AND MINI GOLF

June 22, 2009

Familiar activities get a funky boost with this week's additions to the Wii・Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi Shop・ A trio of fresh WiiWare・titles will have players wrapping their minds around unique puzzles, entertaining brain drills and awesome mini-golf courses. A new Art Style・/I> game for Nintendo DSiWare・turns cutting paper into a cool hand-held gaming challenge. And simple things like air and weather conditions become exciting game elements in the latest classic offering on the Virtual Console・

WiiWare

Drill Sergeant Mindstrong
Publisher: XSEED Games
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Mild Language, Mild Violence
Price: 800 Wii Points・BR>Description: Line up and get ready to use your mind. Drill Sergeant Mindstrong is a party game that allows up to four people to play at once. Players become boot-camp trainees under the tough Drill Sergeant Mindstrong, going through mind-boggling, mind-training games. The rules are simple, but concentration and quick thinking are key. Become the top boot of your class and earn promotions based on your efforts. This game is best played with friends and family.

NEVES Plus・BR>Publisher:YUKES Company of America
Price: 600 Wii Points
Description:Try your hand at the newest puzzle craze to come out of Japan, NEVES Plus! Enhanced for WiiWare, NEVES Plus not only retains all the simple, mind-bending tangram-based game play from the original Nintendo DS・version, but also includes new multiplayer modes wrapped up in an Egyptian theme. This time, you and up to three others can work together to move, rotate and flip the seven Lucky stones into each of the 500-plus silhouette puzzles. You can also challenge one another in new multiplayer modes such as Versus, Speed, Lucky Number and Party Mode. Whether you play every mode by yourself or with friends, NEVES Plus is set to charm you with harder-than-they-look silhouette puzzles.

Family Mini Golf
Publisher: Aksys Games
Players: 1-8
Price: 500 Wii Points
Description: Daddy, Mommy, Sarah and Billy are back for some mini-golf action. Play through multiple golf courses that contain obstacles ranging from bumpers to speed ramps to fans and more. Up to eight players can play together using a single Wii Remote・controller. You can download new courses to expand your fun-filled mini-golf experience, creating even more complex and difficult challenges to overcome. Can you conquer all the courses and become the mini-golf champion?

Nintendo DSiWare

Art Style: BOXLIFE・BR>Publisher: Nintendo
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points・BR>Description: Climb the corporate ladder in the world of BOXLIFE using your wits and... paper? Use the Nintendo DSi・stylus to cut and then manipulate the paper into a box shape. Be careful-if you're not efficient with your cuts, you'll waste paper and be penalized. R&D mode teaches you new patterns and challenges you to complete various ranks, while FACTORY mode gives you the chance to earn money by making as many boxes as possible from an endless sheet of paper. Success in each mode brings its own reward: Clear ranks to earn a promotion, change your character's appearance, and use your earnings to acquire new items for your character's miniature garden. With this game's stylish graphics and catchy sounds, thinking inside the box isn't such a bad thing.

Virtual Console

SimEarth・ The Living Planet
Original platform: TurboGrafx16 CD-ROM
Publisher: Hudson Entertainment
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Violent References
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: An entire planet becomes your laboratory in this large-scale simulation game. Players help foster new life and promote its evolution into life forms of higher intelligence. Guide civilization along the path of evolution until it can achieve Exodus, the ultimate goal of settling on another planet. The basic challenge of the game is to maintain a comfortable environment for the life forms by adjusting atmospheric and geological parameters. Small organisms called Prokaryote and Trichordate will grow and evolve into a multitude of life forms. Making a drastic change is a recipe for disaster. The key to success is making small adjustments and watching how the life forms react. SimEarth also includes planets with environments different from Earth, such as Mars and Venus. Try your hand at terraforming these planets with harsh conditions and creating a world where life can thrive.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card・can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.
g

Really good week. Perhaps Nintendo is settling into the notion of three games a week for WiiWare.

But, man, I did not expect SimEarth. I never actually played that one. How is it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
crowphoenix said:
Really good week. Perhaps Nintendo is settling into the notion of three games a week for WiiWare.

I suspect it's more a case of having quite a lot of games now in the release queue and needing to burn them off. If you've got, say, 18 completed games ready for release, releasing 1 per week means some publishers have to wait 4-5 months to get released. At 3 games a week, they only wait a month and a half.

Microsoft has been dealing with this for a while. 1 game a week most weeks, but then 2 or 3 as stuff starts to pile up. This week, THQ's "Rocket Riot" got released after being completed and ready for release for the last, like, three or so months and got released as part of a triple game week.

crowphoenix said:
But, man, I did not expect SimEarth. I never actually played that one. How is it?

Well, biologically inaccurate because it's based on a not-widely accepted hypothesis called "Gaia Theory" which posits that planetary ecological equilibrium is based on the premise that the planet itself is a living organism.

Beyond that, it's grueling. Much more difficult than most Sim games. Actually, reflecting on it it's probably the most difficult of all of them. Also, it doesn't have any kind of real goal. Some versions, IIRC, have a few scenarios.. But basically the goal is to just guide a planet for billions of years.

But if you can dig the premise, it's a pretty intellectually rewarding game. There's a truly wide variety of lifeforms available, and there's a lot of charm in the really basic graphics.

Volcynika

Stumpokapow said:

Thanks for the link. Watching the video now, looks pretty interesting! Might hurt my head trying to think how to cut it up not to waste squares though. I don't even get the chance to buy it until this evening, probably see more impressions of other people by then.

Stumpokapow said:
I suspect it's more a case of having quite a lot of games now in the release queue and needing to burn them off. If you've got, say, 18 completed games ready for release, releasing 1 per week means some publishers have to wait 4-5 months to get released. At 3 games a week, they only wait a month and a half.

Microsoft has been dealing with this for a while. 1 game a week most weeks, but then 2 or 3 as stuff starts to pile up. This week, THQ's "Rocket Riot" got released after being completed and ready for release for the last, like, three or so months and got released as part of a triple game week.

That makes sense. I was unaware that they'd built up such a backlog. So, we'll probably be seeing these large updates for a bit.

Well, biologically inaccurate because it's based on a not-widely accepted hypothesis called "Gaia Theory" which posits that planetary ecological equilibrium is based on the premise that the planet itself is a living organism.

Beyond that, it's grueling. Much more difficult than most Sim games. Actually, reflecting on it it's probably the most difficult of all of them. Also, it doesn't have any kind of real goal. Some versions, IIRC, have a few scenarios.. But basically the goal is to just guide a planet for billions of years.

But if you can dig the premise, it's a pretty intellectually rewarding game. There's a truly wide variety of lifeforms available, and there's a lot of charm in the really basic graphics.
That does sound interesting. I've never been good at the Sim games though, so I imagine I'd kill the planet about 15 minutes in.

Top Bottom