• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing Mafia |OT| - Making Animal Friends Is Awesome!

Karkador

Banned
Coincidentally, I was just about to call it a little early.

Clock bells chime in the distance

CURRENT PHASE

CoaYsLF.png

The Village rises to an early start, eager to see what a brand new day will bring.

The 23 Villagers ....err, wait...

1, 2, 3, 4, 5,......13, 14, 15........20, 21, 22 Villagers?

A feint smell of burning wood lingers in the air. Looking around, the Village spots neither smoke nor fire - but the house at C-2 is completely destroyed!

On the shattered door, a notice has been posted:

Tucah the Commuter is gone for good.

Karkador said:
Welcome!

You are the Commuter!

You are aligned with the Town. You win when only Town-aligned players remain.

What could possibly be suspicious about someone who takes off somewhere in the middle of the night?

Every Even-numbered Night Phase (Nights 2, 4, 6, etc.), you lock up your house and leave the Village. This ability is passive and happens automatically.

As such, you will be unavailable to be targeted by anyone on those particular Nights. However, the act of you leaving for the night will trigger any roles that look for activity during the night.

Feel free to PM me any questions about your role. The public game thread is here.

Day 2 Officially Begins

Time Left Until Day 2 Ends
t1432224000z1.png

Oof, that's a shame, could've caused mass confusion for the HHA if they'd got them next night instead :/

So I'm guessing this means that we can't hide in other people's houses given it's complete demolition.

I'm wondering, however, if the HHA can only target people who neighbour them? Given there were 4 mafia in the previous game, and assuming the same number and that neighbouring includes diagonals, that gives them enough for full map coverage (e.g. Foshy, who would've carried out this hit, Haly, Hobohodo and HippieHodo (what's with all the hobos, by the way? Kind of a shitty best town.))

Hm.

Kalor

Strange that Tucah was the person that the HHA chose. They wouldn't be my first choice as multiple people claimed to have a role of some form on D1 and naturally you would think they would be bigger targets. I'm curious to go through Tucahs posts and see if they suspected anyone or if it was just random.

I guess that the Commuter role reveals that we have roles that look for activity at night.

The only lead I can think of right now that doesn't involve people claiming roles is what Mazres role does since they said that their action from yesterday would do something during the night.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Waiting for information to come back from the peope who said they have roles, and we clearly have one investigator as Kalor said.

Mazre

and we clearly have one investigator as Kalor said.

Well, someone who can witness nighttime activity under some condition at least. Lot of room for how that might shake out.

Somewhat surprised to see that the house has been destroyed as well, I'm curious if a town eviction will have the same result or if the house will remain. The note on the door certainly seems to imply the HHA as well rather than a third party (say an arsonist or some such). Wonder if they got lucky on his role or chose him becausethey knew there would be nights he would be unavailable.

My action was successful though it did not produce tangible results. I will most likely act again today, though again I would like to temper expectations for any meaningful results.

Eagerly awaiting reports from the rest of the village before voting on who to evict.

Kevyt

I have my suspicions on Haly, Mazre, Razmos and RobotNinja.

My gut feeling tells me that one of them is HHA. Just a gut feeling for now...

Huh, didn't hear a thing - must have some good sound insulation!

01.jpg

(I don't know any Animal Crossing references, so I'm rolling with The Burbs)

Outside of the no evict vote from Tucah, wasn't much on the first day, certainly no finger pointing at anyone.

One good point from this at least is that any town role won't pick up his false signals?

Haly

Also, since the neighbor information dissemination theory fell through, then we can reasonably assume that the HHA indeed operates within a range limit.

Mazre

(I don't know any Animal Crossing references, so I'm rolling with The Burbs)

Haha, don't think I've watched that since I was a kid, should remedy that. Just what kind of fossils have you lot been pulling up anyways?

Also, since the neighbor information dissemination theory fell through, then we can reasonably assume that the HHA indeed operates within a range limit.

I'm not sure how strongly we want to hold that assumption at this point but I agree it is certainly worth consideration when deciding. Hypothetically: An HHA eviction may require neighbor status (at least until such a time as the condition is no longer achievable) or they may have certain special circumstances / actions that would let them bypass a neighboring requirement as well.

Reading through Tucah's posts nothing is jumping at me that would cause him to be singled out, unless they were specifically aiming for a middle of the road target so we wouldn't have much to back trace on.

I was sad to see that he was also a fishing enthusiast. This injustice shall not stand.

So, interesting turn of events overnight. RIP Tucah

Tucah's house was destroyed, so these means one of two things... Either the HHA evicts by force, or this was the power of a special action. If this is what comes from a standard HHA eviction, then that debunks us being able to move from house to house like Salva had said originally; including the fact that Toma may be telling the truth about not hearing anything, then the limitation on the HHA is geographical. If we manage to oust one of the mafia in a certain part of the map, that would grant that portion of the map safety, is what one would guess from that.

On the other hand, if this was a special action, then that throws the above out the window and that would mean that the true eviction has been hidden by a doctor-like night action. However, I think we should operate under the assumption that this was a regular eviction, because it's much more likely statistically that a doctor-like role would fail to protect a villager on the first turn.

Another theory on the geographical limitation: perhaps the HHA can hit anywhere on the map, but there is a special ability that takes effect depending on which member is closest to the target. I'm starting to think this is the true intent of the map, because if we believe the original theory that an HHA can only evict on squares in range, what happens when a member on a certain part of the map is evicted? The HHA loses the ability to evict those players, and that would make it impossible to evict townies in that area for the rest of the game. Also, since Toma didn't hear anything, this first turn could have been taken using a neighbor-effect cancelling ability to throw us off that scent until the following day phase or maybe until they manage to clear out the area closest to the neighbor-effect canceller; only then would we figure that out.

As such, and even if there is just a strict limitation on the actions taken by HHA members, I think we should be looking at the villagers closest to Tucah to try to figure out who evicted him.

The other crucial piece of information we've gathered is that everyone who had a night action used it; Kark said he was even planning on ending the night phase early. Eager to gain an advantage in the game, I would say that no one would have taken a no action on the first night under these circumstances. So, all the roles' actions are out there, even if we don't know all the effects.

Did it, though? We've only heard from Toma, and on the basis of suspecting everyone, he could be lying. Did Foshy or freakzilla hear anything?

Also, this may the low-hanging fruit, but I'm really suspicious of HippieHobo. He announced the night was over before it actually was. He may have thought it was over because the HHA had already come to a decision, and he would only know that if he were a member.

Hobohodo

R.I.P Tucah

So just checking here but I thought Toma claiming to have not heard anything was just a joke due to him being a neighbour? Did he role claim to be able to detect activity at some point?

Surprised about the destruction of the house though, puts a dampener on the whole moving house idea. I guess it makes sense mind, else the roomies would be able to separate right now, and you have to assume some planning was put into them being around long term. Still, I wonder if someone had an ability to swap players houses around or if the balance of this game requires everyone to stay put.

Kevyt

HippieHobo has been going back and forth between clueless and savvy.

So HippieHobo, have you played mafia before?

This is my first time playing Mafia. Never heard of it until the Mafia/werewolf sign up thread.

So, interesting turn of events overnight. RIP Tucah

Tucah's house was destroyed, so these means one of two things... Either the HHA evicts by force, or this was the power of a special action. If this is what comes from a standard HHA eviction, then that debunks us being able to move from house to house like Salva had said originally; including the fact that Toma may be telling the truth about not hearing anything, then the limitation on the HHA is geographical. If we manage to oust one of the mafia in a certain part of the map, that would grant that portion of the map safety, is what one would guess from that.

On the other hand, if this was a special action, then that throws the above out the window and that would mean that the true eviction has been hidden by a doctor-like night action. However, I think we should operate under the assumption that this was a regular eviction, because it's much more likely statistically that a doctor-like role would fail to protect a villager on the first turn.

Another theory on the geographical limitation: perhaps the HHA can hit anywhere on the map, but there is a special ability that takes effect depending on which member is closest to the target. I'm starting to think this is the true intent of the map, because if we believe the original theory that an HHA can only evict on squares in range, what happens when a member on a certain part of the map is evicted? The HHA loses the ability to evict those players, and that would make it impossible to evict townies in that area for the rest of the game. Also, since Toma didn't hear anything, this first turn could have been taken using a neighbor-effect cancelling ability to throw us off that scent until the following day phase or maybe until they manage to clear out the area closest to the neighbor-effect canceller; only then would we figure that out.

As such, and even if there is just a strict limitation on the actions taken by HHA members, I think we should be looking at the villagers closest to Tucah to try to figure out who evicted him.

The other crucial piece of information we've gathered is that everyone who had a night action used it; Kark said he was even planning on ending the night phase early. Eager to gain an advantage in the game, I would say that no one would have taken a no action on the first night under these circumstances. So, all the roles' actions are out there, even if we don't know all the effects.

Did it, though? We've only heard from Toma, and on the basis of suspecting everyone, he could be lying. Did Foshy or freakzilla hear anything?

I think it was very likely a special move. I think that it was also a gamble move that paid off for the HHA. It makes perfect sense to target the middle, it's strategic. There was nothing from Tucah that would have raised any suspicions for the HHA, so that move was pure strategy.

Also, this may the low-hanging fruit, but I'm really suspicious of HippieHobo. He announced the night was over before it actually was. He may have thought it was over because the HHA had already come to a decision, and he would only know that if he were a member.

I just saw that it said May 17 until the day started but didn't pay attention to the time.

I'm also suspicious of you to be honest. I think at this point I'm suspicious of everyone. Even Karkador!

So just checking here but I thought Toma claiming to have not heard anything was just a joke due to him being a neighbour? Did he role claim to be able to detect activity at some point?

Surprised about the destruction of the house though

Ha, yeah, didn't cross my mind when posting it could/would be read as a role claim. It was surprise at the house being destroyed. I wasn't sure on people being able to move between houses, but I sure wasn't expecting any destroyed houses! Are we sure the Klopeks haven't moved in to the neighbourhood?

Who are the Klopeks you ask? The Burbs spoilers (it was a 1989 movie though..)

The Klopeks move into the neighborhood after their last house burnt down, and a lot of noise came from their basement each night.. they end up being murderers

I imagine quite a lot of gears are moving around in people's heads today, if there is a range for those with powers. Is there range going to be the same for everyone? I imagine we'll get quite a few accusations based on applying their own range to those near Tucah?

Haly

I want to hear back from everyone first before holding an Eviction vote. I think Tucah's unexpected Eviction means HHA is being very careful about who to evict, finding targets without many connections to other villagers.

Like I said in the very beginning, by giving up Eviction on Day 1, we've given up our first move, and we're no closer to pinpointing an HHA than we were at the end of Day 1. Had we evicted, we'd have double the reliable information we do now. For example, we'd know if all houses are destroyed upon the leaving of a tenant or if arson is a special ability. And if we did evict a useful Townie, so what? That didn't help Tucah one bit. Trying to fight the HHA's near perfect information by aiming our side's abilities blindly isn't going to work out in the long run.

Let that be a lsson for future Mafia games, always evict on Day 1. And I hope we're not thinking of ending Day 2 without an eviction either.

Coppanuva

Let that be a lsson for future Mafia games, always evict on Day 1. And I hope we're not thinking of ending Day 2 without an eviction either.

There is 0 chance this day goes without eviction. I do want to hear back from other people before voting though, I'm confused by HHA's choic, but maybe that's the intent. Nobody had fingered Tucah as a candidate for eviction, gives us less to go on.

Kalor

Like I said in the very beginning, by giving up Eviction on Day 1, we've given up our first move, and we're no closer to pinpointing an HHA than we were at the end of Day 1. Had we evicted, we'd have double the reliable information we do now. For example, we'd know if all houses are destroyed upon the lesving of a tenant or if arson is a special ability. And if we did evict a useful Townie, so what? That didn't help Tucah one at bit. Trying to fight the HHA's near perfect informstion by aiming our side's abilities blindly isn't going to work out in the long run.

I have to agree with you that we have to evict someone today. I have a few ideas but I need those people to post a bit more.

Although I think we will be closer to finding some of the HHA by the end of today as we have a bit more to discuss in terms of why Tucah was killed and then the eventual eviction today. How people discuss this will be helpful in identifying trends and posting habits.

The one thing that no-one has mentioned yet is that the room-mates are still alive. You could read into this in a number of ways such as:

1. One of the room-mates is mafia.
2. Mafia didn't attack them as they thought it was too risky (Someone might be watching them.)
3. Mafia did attack them but one of them were immune or a doctor saved them and Tucahs death was from a third party.

I have my suspicions on Haly, Mazre, Razmos and RobotNinja.

My gut feeling tells me that one of them is HHA. Just a gut feeling for now...
Aw what no FakeGAF bros come on :c

I want to hear back from everyone first before holding an Eviction vote. I think Tucah's unexpected Eviction means HHA is being very careful about who to evict, finding targets without many connections to other villagers.

Like I said in the very beginning, by giving up Eviction on Day 1, we've given up our first move, and we're no closer to pinpointing an HHA than we were at the end of Day 1. Had we evicted, we'd have double the reliable information we do now. For example, we'd know if all houses are destroyed upon the leaving of a tenant or if arson is a special ability. And if we did evict a useful Townie, so what? That didn't help Tucah one bit. Trying to fight the HHA's near perfect information by aiming our side's abilities blindly isn't going to work out in the long run.

I tried telling them this! I tried!

Hoping you're not HHA now 'cause that won't look good for me

Having thought about the whole "maybe they can only evict neighbours" idea more, yeah that ain't gonna be a thing. As Launchpad said, what'd happen if they lost a guy? Instaloss? That definitely ain't no thing.

Razmos

I wonder if the mafia had any strategic benefits to targeting who they did, I cant recall them giving any info that could have put them in danger, it's a strange choice.

@HippieHobo, why do you find me suspicious?

Haly

No, Tucah makes perfect sense. He wasn't as talkative as many other posters, didn't belong to any "webs" that could tip people off if disturbed, and his absence, as you can tell by all the boggling, revealeed absolutely nothing.

It was a very clever pick. What we learned from Night 1 is that the HHA have some crafty motherfuckers.

No, Tucah makes perfect sense. He wasn't as talkative as many other posters, didn't belong to any "webs" that could tip people off if disturbed, and his absence, as you can tell by all the boggling, revealeed absolutely nothing.

It was a very clever pick. What we learned from Night 1 is that the HHA have some crafty motherfuckers.

Indeed, the lack of any tangible information is information in itself.

I think we need to seriously look at the people who were surrounding Tucah. There has to be some sort of tradeoff for the HHA to have eliminated this particular player without leaving behind any evidence, and I think it is the range which this special ability can be used.

So, the suspects to me are everyone who was within 1 square of Tucah in any direction. Picking 1 square as the range is arbitrary, yet I think it's a good estimate just by looking at the amount of total squares we have. That means; Robot, Mazre, Freakzilla, Toma, Ouro, and Foshy.

I wonder if the mafia had any strategic benefits to targeting who they did, I cant recall them giving any info that could have put them in danger, it's a strange choice.

@HippieHobo, why do you find me suspicious?

I find you suspicious, if only because nobody else who has revealed themselves as a special role has mentioned a range limit aside from you. I don't think that the range limit is necessarily a characteristic of the HHA, but for right now, I don't know what other role could have such a specific limitation.

franconp

I have to agree with you that we have to evict someone today. I have a few ideas but I need those people to post a bit more.

Although I think we will be closer to finding some of the HHA by the end of today as we have a bit more to discuss in terms of why Tucah was killed and then the eventual eviction today. How people discuss this will be helpful in identifying trends and posting habits.

The one thing that no-one has mentioned yet is that the room-mates are still alive. You could read into this in a number of ways such as:

1. One of the room-mates is mafia.
2. Mafia didn't attack them as they thought it was too risky (Someone might be watching them.)
3. Mafia did attack them but one of them were immune or a doctor saved them and Tucahs death was from a third party.

I thought the same possibilities and also a fourth:

There is a switcher and he used is role to switch us with Tucah.

I'm really lost with this eviction, doesn't give us much to work with it.

SalvaPot

If we are going to go with the users closer to the victim, I want to get our attention in foshy and freak, who have talked the least in the game so far.

Ourobolus

Banned
Gah, RIP Tucah.
I was hoping for some more information, but Tucah didn't seem to me like he was a high-priority target. Like Haly said there must be some strategic reason he was targeted. But it's not like he was antagonistic to anyone.

I'm surprised that the house got destroyed though. We kept talking about how people may be able to move, I thought it could have been an interesting mechanic.

Ourobolus

Banned
Damn, stupid no-editing rule. I guess Razmos was the only one that specifically stated his range. Mazre stated he had a role but didn't specify what the range was.

Darryl

Banned
Which makes me think that no evictions on Day 1 was kind of a mistake.

Absolutely. This is why we should have axed the roomies. Some of you guys sat around with your hands on the air and openly passed the turn. Now they took a nobody out and we have just as little information as we did the first turn. Other than that geography "may" play a part.

Haly

Karkador, would you be so kind as to include links to every day's map from here on in? I think its important information but I dont want to keep a log of who neighbored who or save all the images.

Haly

Im thinking including all the images would stretch out the post too much so you can just link the images for past days like:

Day 1 Map: i.imgur.com/foshyisntsuspiciousatall.jpg

Kevyt

Actually, I don't think that HHA members are equally distributed among the map or that their special abilities are affected by their position within the map. Or has this been the case before where a Mafia's special abilities have a limited range based on who they're surrounded by?

Else it makes sense, if that's the case. I can also rule out Haly then, because it wouldn't make sense to have a Mafia member on the map's corner, unless their distribution is random.

Now I'm really suspicious of Launchpad and Robotninja.

Karkador

Banned
Okay, I'll do it.

Actually, I've been sitting on a half-finished "worksheet" for you all to print out and use for notes and stuff (it has a basic diagram of the map).
Does that sound useful to anyone? I'll get it done and post it if there's a demand.

..I know this is really dorky.

Haly

Does it have a find the differences puzzle on the back?

What about an Animal Crossing crossword puzzle?

Kevyt

So are Mafia's attacks affected by range? Meaning that they can only target neighbors? Or can they just anyone on the map regardless of position?

Also do they know which others are part of the mafia or are they unaware just like everyone elae meaning that could also target one of their own by mistake?

kingkitty

So are Mafia's attacks affected by range? Meaning that they can only target neighbors? Or can they just anyone on the map regardless of position?

Also do they know which others are part of the mafia or are they unaware just like everyone elae meaning that could also target one of their own by mistake?

Mafia knows other mafia. They're probably chatting to each other on a secret forum right now. Laughing manically.

Im thinking including all the images would stretch out the post too much so you can just link the images for past days like:

Day 1 Map: i.imgur.com/foshyisntsuspiciousatall.jpg

dat image link bahahahaha

Actually, I don't think that HHA members are equally distributed among the map or that their special abilities are affected by their position within the map. Or has this been the case before where a Mafia's special abilities have a limited range based on who they're surrounded by?

Else it makes sense, if that's the case. I can also rule out Haly then, because it wouldn't make sense to have a Mafia member on the map's corner, unless their distribution is random.

Now I'm really suspicious of Launchpad and Robotninja.

Razmos said his role had a range, so it's definitely an element to the game unless he said that to misdirect us completely. However, it makes the most sense. Plus, I would think it makes more sense that there are at least one or two HHA members with special abilities, if not all of them if there are 4 members like we're speculating. Since we don't know much about what happened last night, I would think it's because it was one of their abilities that hid it.

Haly's position is weird. I can't find a good position anywhere around him where an HHA with a ranged ability would be able to get him and a good amount of other players. The reverse is even more true.

I totally welcome suspicion. I already said I'm a regular ol' villager, but that gives me absolutely no evidence to prove it since I can't talk about any supposed abilities. You can't really trust anyone, after all.

The standard eviction can't be range-based, because if you remove one of the HHA from a part of the map, they lose the ability to evict anyone in that range. A range for special abilities only makes more sense.

All HHA members have to know who the other HHA members are because their evictions are coordinated. They discuss and pick out a citizen. At least, I'm assuming that's how it works if it works like regular mafia in that respect. They can't target one of their own unless that player was purposely separated from them.

Karkador

Banned
Alright, I've added a link to the Day 1 map in the OP, underneath the current Town Map.

Let me know if there are any other features you want in my info dumps.

Top Bottom