• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingX2

New post for 52-75. With this game I have finished the challenge but I'm far from done :)

1-27
28-51

F1f1hU3.jpg

Game Beaten #52: Jazzpunk (PC) - 3 Hours
(Started & Finished 5/12/15)

Without spoiling the amazing humor of this game, it is a parody of the spy/spook culture and old time spy movies. You can beat this game in 20 minutes if you want too but there is so much to explore in every nook and cranny. I haven't laughed this hard in awhile. I really wanted more of this.

Game Beaten #53: Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - 4 Hours
This 'game' was a movie with trophies....uh glad my 52 is done cause this is kinda silly

hNqucwF.jpg

Game Beaten #54: Kingdom Hearts: Re-Chain of Memories - 60 Hours
(Started 5/14/15 / Finished 5/26/15)

I bought the original back when it first came out and it was my first Kingdom Hearts title because I didn't own a PS2 at the time. The plot confused me, the card system made me constantly groan, and I just didn't get it. Somehow I beat it and years later I'm playing it again. Well with the memory of how much I hated this game I decided to do it on beginner and I don't regret it. That being said I totally could have done this on normal. The plot making sense aside, I knew how to tackle the card battle system. Spam enemies, and then just turtle bosses waiting for them to declare an attack and constantly cancel it out. I struggled with a few bosses when my timing was off but I was able to completely shut down most bosses this way. It isn't as terrible as I remember but it is very boring with only the Organization XIII scenes being interesting, the rest is an amnesia fest recap of KH1's Disney visits.

I got really lazy after this

#55 Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? (PS3)
Decent translation to video game

#56 OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood (Vita)
I don't get the hype for this one, I prefer my bad THPS games over this

#57 Murasaki Baby (Vita)
Probably the worst game I've played since Yaris

#58 Hotline Miami (Vita)
Once I finally got into the game it was magical and strange

#59 Entwined (Vita)
Very indie, very weird, not too fun

#60 Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U)
As sad as it sounds this game got tiring to play but the game looked great

#61 Marble Madness (NES)
Watching speedrunners helped a lot!

#62 Race the Sun (Vita)
Endless runners with an end are cool

#63 Sonic the Fighters (PS3)
Saw it on sale for cheap and was like oh this will be fast

#64 Fallout: New Vegas (X360)
I'm so happy I played this game, its fantastic

#65 Hohokum (Vita)
Extremely weird but I liked it a lot

#66 Braid (X360)
Yeah I finally went back and finished this game, great ending

#67 Monopoly Plus (X360)
I got addicted to this for a week

#68 Papers Please (PC)
Fun for awhile then it just gets sloppy

#69 Sam & Max: Save the World Episode 1 Culture Shock (X360)
"Interesting"

#70 Moon Crystal (NES)
This is a hidden nes gem

#71 MonsterBag (Vita)
One of my favorite experiences on the vita

#72 Kirby & The Rainbow Curse (WiiU)
This was a lot of fun!

#73 Linda Hyde Vampire Mansion (NDS)
Bad art, bad story, bad writing, bad game play

#74 Stuntman (GBA)
It is like driving a car as Mr Magoo

#75 Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
A classic

#76 Stealth Inc A Clone in the Dark (Vita)
A pretty clever puzzle game

#77 Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7 (PSP)
A story that needed to be told but its pretty repetitive

#78 E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (GBA)
About as bad as atari ET

#79 Dust: An Elysian Tail (X360)
It took awhile for me to get into but I loved it

#80 Crazy Frog Racer (GBA)
Poor mans everything

#81 Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Vita)
Brilliant game, blows away the first

#82 Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode One (X360)
Horrible, boring, not funny

#83 Scurge: Hive (GBA)
Hidden gem on the GBA

#84 Need for Speed Most Wanted (Vita)
Not as fleshed out as console games but fun

#85 Bloody Roar (PS1)
Really good fighter

#86 Bloody Roar 2 (PS1)
Still good but different

#87 Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (PS3)
Fun but gets dull

#88 Umihara Kawase (SNES)
Extremely hard game

#89 Bloody Roar 3 (PS2)
This game rocks

#90 South Park: Tenorman's Revenge (X360)
This was just bad

#91 Home Alone (SNES)
I liked this more than I should have

#92 Doodle God (Vita)
Extremely flawed game unfortunately

#93 Bloody Roar: Primal Fury (GCN)
Like a directors cut of #3

#94 Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (GCN)
Wow my ps1 experience with this game did not do this game justice

#95 Lufia: The Ruins of Lore (GBA)
Long, no plot, flat characters, mute protagonist, boring game that has nothing to do with Lufia

#96 Nidhogg (PC)
Extremely clever dueling game

#97 Sonic the Hedgehog: Genesis (GBA)
A bad port but pretty easy

#98 Build A Bear Workshop (NDS)
Kinda creepy

#99 Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai Another Road (PSP)
As a fighting game? Fine. The Campaign mode thats a bad DW Empires clone? UGH

#100 Bloody Roar 4 (PS2)
This was the worst of the series and the last

#101 Hardwood Hearts (X360)
Love hearts

#102 God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP)
My first god of war! Excellent game

Original Post

Game 11: PKA CHU (plug & play console) 5 minutes, 59 seconds

This game is a clone of Super Mario Bros. from China and just has the sprites slightly altered. Usually for the worse. The title is deliberate to try to cash in on kids thinking the game is related to the Pokemon universe but none of the sprite swaps have any relation to pokemon except for the main character who looks like Pikachu. I don't know if it was intentional but Princess Toadstood looks like she's in blackface, which was really shocking the first time I saw it.

The controls are horrible and it dented my thumbs pretty quickly. The music is absolute torture.

I played this for a while before being able to speed run it. I got my time down to just a hair under 6 minutes.

Watch the speedrun here

Game 12: Mega Man 2 (NES) 1 hour, 21 minutes

Before today I had never beat Mega Man 2 outside of an emulator. I wasn't the biggest fan when I beat it before but now that I've beat it on the cartridge I have a lot more respect for it. I'm starting to wean myself off emulators and back onto the real deal. I had such a sensation of joy after beating this game. Truly a beautiful game, both in looks and sound, and one of the greatest of all time.

Game #10:

250px-Megaman5_box.jpg

Platform: NES
Duration: 2:00 on 5/12/15
Thoughts: Completed the game as part of Mega May. I haven't had the pleasure of playing Mega Man 5 when I was younger so maybe I didn't appreciated it more compared to other people. While having Proto Man as the protagonist was kind of lame as were some of the weapons, at least the level design and music were better than Mega Man 4. MM5 is an enjoyable game that won't disappoint if you're a MM fan.

52 Games main post.

chrixter

Main post

#21: Donkey Kong '94 - 6.5 hours ★★★
Impressive mechanics and level design for a GB game, but the physics made this less enjoyable than desired.

#22: Kid Icarus: Uprising - 7.5 hours ★★
Rail shooting was tolerable but the ground sections were frustrating to control. The game's sensational writing and voice acting kept me going.

#23: Ori and the Blind Forest - 6.5 hours ★★★★
Phenomenal 2D platforming bogged down by some uninteresting combat. Bash is one of the best platforming mechanics ever.

#24: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition - 31.5 hours ★★★★
Welp, I can see why so many love this series.

#25: Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition - 6.5 hours ★★★
Enjoyed the story mode and dabbled a little in the other modes, but I just don't care for the gameplay much, sadly.

#26: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - 80 hours ★★★★
Started this up again after a year long absence. Created a S3 DH and messed around with the Marauder's, Natalya's, and UE sets. Fun times but I've hit that wall again where it takes several hours for one small incremental upgrade.

Halfway there!

Spyware

After not playing much during a couple of weeks I went a bit crazy during the last 8 days and finished 11 more Hidden Object games :p
Not gonna have much to say about these since it's basically "more of the same".

header.jpg

05-06-15 - Game 37: Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart - 5 hours
Bad first impression but it grew on me. Liked the art but not as much as I liked the first Enigmatis. Solid one.

header.jpg

05-06-15 - Game 38: Dark Arcana: The Carnival - 6 hours
Not as pretty as the previous one, but not bad. Interesting setting. Also a solid one.

header.jpg

05-07-15 - Game 39: Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden - 5 hours
Ooooh, I liked this one a lot. Yes, Eden is basically Rapture but it's not done in a bad "lets copy everything" way. It has it's own charm too. Not a very good story but it works.

header.jpg

05-08-15 - Game 40: Time Mysteries: The Final Enigma - 2½ hours
Ugh. The mechanics from the second one, which I liked, but it still felt more like the first and I didn't like it much.

header.jpg

05-08-15 - Game 41: 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek - 2½ hours
Not made by Artifex Mundi, and it shows. It's okay but it feels much older than the ones released around it. Didn't like the story or graphics much.

header.jpg

05-09-15 - Game 42: Nightmares from the Deep: The Siren`s Call - 5 hours
Great setting just like the first game. Story was a bit better. Solid game.

header.jpg

05-09-15 - Game 43: Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink - 2½ hours
Odd one. Not as pretty or interesting as others but it works.

header.jpg

05-10-15 - Game 44: Enigmatis: The Mists of Ravenwood - 4 hours
Ooooooooh. This one was really great. I got some Alan Wake vibes. The protagonist being a bit... stupid regarding one thing bothered me a bit but whatevs. It's great.

header.jpg

05-11-15 - Game 45: Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride - 6 hours
This one is also great. Pretty and with a story that I liked.

header.jpg

05-12-15 - Game 46: Nightmares from the Deep: Davy Jones - 4 hours
Ugh. It's still a pretty setting, like all Nightmare ones, but the story is way worse. Still works but... yeh.

header.jpg

05-13-15 - Game 47: Grim Legends 2: Song of the Dark Swan - 3 hours
Such a disappointment after the great first Grim Legends. It's not as pretty, not as interesting. Meh.

(Main post)

jiggles

Banned
Games 1 - 20
Games 21+

Game 29: Wolfenstein: The New Order
5ed6cee74a45ce283c952shoq0.jpg

Started this from the start at the weekend because I got real tempted to pick up the Old Blood, but I couldn't do it without beating this first. I bumped it down to the second-lowest difficulty so I could breeze through it without hitting any hurdles and that's pretty much exactly what I did. I don't know if it would work for every game, but the act of Nazi-killing with some crazy weapons is something that doesn't need to even be challenging to be a blast. I took the Wyatt timeline because I felt I owed him more than I owed Fergus (he saved BJ from that dog when he tossed the grenade, Fergus just asked him to do shit over and over). I must confess, though, I spent a lot of the game anticipating a twist that never came, because of the dead-eyed characters. Everything looked just a little off, so I was expecting it all to have been a dream or some shit. Anyway, great game. Stupid, fun story. Dual. Wielding. Auto. Shotguns.
If you like Bioshock, you'll like this

mshlive

Game 6 - MonsterBag (PSVita) 13/13Trophies

Another treat courtesy of PS+, and surprisingly enjoyable. Very simplistic, which was a great change of pace from Bloodborne which I'm working through and absolutely loving. On the surface this could pass as a kids game, however some of the puzzles are pretty tough which was cool

Like I say Bloodborne is my main game at the moment, and then I've put a few of the recent PS+ games on my Vita for bedtime backlog bliss (Hohokum, Unfinished Swan, Counter Spy, OlliOlli and more). Got a quiet couple of weeks ahead with me being a bit low on cash so should be able to make some steady progres!

daveo42

Banned
Game 14: Half-Life 2: Update - 11h | Started: 5/3/15 - Completed: 5/13/15
Replay of a classic fps with a few new graphical enhancements. Still cannot believe this game came out almost 11 years ago. Boy does time ever fly.

Initial Post Here

Main post

Game 18: The Consequence DLC (PS4) - 4h11m26s [5/13/15] ★½
the_tc_logo_zpsvmpugbth.png

Completed the episode. Achieved 6/10 trophies.

"Enough of this shit!"

That's what protagonist Kidman says towards the end of the second DLC episode when finally finding a shotgun, but it may as well be directed towards the gameplay comprising most of The Assignment and The Consequence. There's nothing compelling about it whatsoever, at any point. Well, I take that back -- the final boss was pretty cool, earning a half-star for being better than the main game's ultimate encounter. The rest of it sucked.

I liked The Evil Within. It wasn't everything I had hoped for, but it was a quality survival horror game that excelled in certain unexpected areas and disappointed in areas where you would have expected Shinji Mikami to deliver. But I still enjoyed it for the most part, ranking it 8th on my Best Games of 2014 list. The Assignment DLC was mediocre, but it did out-do the main game in a couple of areas, namely the storytelling and the horror atmosphere.

Where The Assignment struggled was with its principal gameplay, which was evasive and non-combative stealth. The Evil Within's stealth mechanics are serviceable at-best, which is why they worked in the main campaign as one of several well-balanced elements of the gameplay that were at Sebastian's disposal. Take away everything but the stealth, and well, you're left with a bad stealth game.

The Consequence, on the other hand, was promoted by Bethesda with the promise of Kidman getting a gun, but this was largely overblown: 90% of the game still features you playing without any sort of firearm weapon. So what is The Consequence? It's half walking simulator where story-bits held back from the main campaign are spoon-fed to you to fill in the massive plot holes, and the rest is the same half-baked stealth gameplay from The Assignment except more poorly designed and implemented.

It features such great moments as enemies that deliberately stand next to ledges so you can push them off with a button-press. Pitch-black areas where you have to throw glow-sticks around to see, but contain no enemy threat, only serving to pad game length with boring gameplay. Bottle-throwing to distract enemies that rubber-band to your general location even when hiding from view (apparently to compensate for their own crappy AI). Chase sequences recycled from the first DLC episode. Boss encounters recycled from the first DLC episode. Much of this set in locations recycled from both the main game and the first DLC episode. The levels seem to be designed for a complex and challenging stealth game, but stealth gameplay in The Consequence never rises above being merely rudimentary -- the result is that you'll find a few empty rooms where there's nothing to do or find. You know, because you were supposed to need those areas for "stealthin' it up!", or something, I'm not sure.

Your reward at the end is the world's crappiest shotgun.

"Enough of this shit", indeed.

If it wasn't clear before that the missing story elements from the main campaign were deliberately held back for DLC, it is now. The Assignment wasn't great, but there is practically zero craftsmanship on display in The Consequence. At no point did I get the impression that what I was playing was a good video game. Even at just a few hours it feels way too long, especially after playing The Assignment and not exactly clamoring for more "stealth". The missing story bits that you're paying for, the one and only reason to even check out these episodes, could not feel more haphazardly and halfheartedly strung together.

There will probably be a sequel to The Evil Within. At the very least, The Consequence poses some new questions that set things up for a potential sequel. But whereas this was something I would have been looking forward to a few months back, the DLC has really soured me on the IP. Here's hoping that the DLC's stealth gameplay never sees the light of day again.

Then again, maybe someone can come in and do it right. I hear Hideo Kojima's schedule will be freeing up soon.

Dr. Buni

Original post

Game #30: Skullgirls Encore

QiIS1gz.png

I ignored this game for the longest time, mainly because I usually don't like excessive fanservice (I think fanservice in the right dosage doesn't hurt anyone) in games and the most prominent feature in Skullgirls is the fanservice. I think that makes the game feel rather juvenile, which is a shame. I also think the fanservice is partially the reason Skullgirls didn't sell that much, but what do I know? Anyways, I ended up buying it two days ago because I really wanted to play a game on the vein of Marvel vs. Capcom and the only one I knew was similar to the said series is Skullgirls. Besides, after wasting a lot of money in Mortal Kombat X, a game that still doesn't work well on PC, I was itching for a functional fighting experience.

The game is really good. The gameplay isn't exactly new for those who played Marvel, but even then, Skullgirls has its own personality and feel, considering that most of the characters have their own mechanics and unique gimmicks. For example, Squigly is a stance character, but the way her stances work is very different from say, Street Fighter's Gen or King of Fighter's Jun. She also has Leviathan with her, and he can be used in a similar way as Scorpion's "come here" thingy. There is also Big Band, the only character who can parry, Ms. Fortune with her body and head fighting separately shenanigans, etc. It is a very creative and fun to play game.

The graphics are really good and beautiful. They make those 2D with 3D graphics fighters look awful. Everything looks hand drawn, with a gorgeous cartoon-ish art style. Once again, my only complaint is the excessive fanservice, because the actual character designs aren't bad.

Lastly, that Michiru Yamane soundtrack is SO good. "The Lives We Left Behind" is my favorite music in the game <3 Anyways, I think Skullgirls deserves more praise than it gets, but at the same time, I can perfectly see why the game isn't a huge hit. It screams "niche".

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Its been almost 2 months but I finally beat another game! I beat PSP2 last year but this around was with a twist!

Games Beaten: 24 / 52
Total Playtime: 104 hours, 45 minutes

01 - ??

Synth

Original Post

Conker's Bad Fur Day
Conker_-_Live_%26_Reloaded_Coverart.png

Criteria: Standard completion
Time played: 9 hours.

I played this mostly due to the interested built up by the Project Spark Conker game. I had played this a bit on the N64 but never progressed very far, so I thought I may as well give it a full playthrough.

I think it says a lot about this game's charm, that so many people remember it so fondly, despite just how much is wrong with its core gameplay. Moment to moment, the act of actually playing Conker's Bad Fur Day is surprisingly poor. There's very few enemy types, combat against them is terribly boring and repetitive, camera angles during platforming are horrendous, and difficulty in general only ever arises in the form of cheap one-hit deaths. Taken on its own, there is almost nothing redeeming about its gameplay at all to be honest. There is however a decent amount of entertainment to be had regarding all aspect other than the gameplay. The story whilst mostly nonsensical has enough pull to make you want to see it through (although mostly as a result of the initial setup, and you wanting to know how it occurs), the humor is mostly on point, and many of the references to pop culture at the time were very well handled. Progression however is also flawed, as the game also pulls the annoying time extending trick of asking you rather late into the game to ensure you've collected enough currency to continue, whilst you may have missed (or even simply skipped) many of them throughout the game up until that point, as there's nothing to really track how much of it you'll need and why. This forces you to backtrack to already completed areas to look for more. I always consider progression blocks like this to be extremely unnecessary, and depending on how much I'm lacking, I've simply stopped playing games in the past rather to head back looking for more (e.g. Psychonauts). Luckily in this case I was lacking very little, as I'd been collecting all that I actually noticed on the way.

Overall, I view Conker's Bad Fur Day as a bad game with just enough redeeming qualities outside of the gameplay itself, to maybe be worth a playthrough for those interested. I'm now not the least bit surprised that MS is hesitant to commit to a full budget sequel, as I feel a game like this would die instantly at retail, and be absolutely crucified in reviews, when evaluated by today's standards, and not just being fondly looked back on. I'd actually be very surprised to even see a rereleased version of this game perform as well critically as the Sonic Adventure did in re-reviews. I'd say that despite all the criticisms levelled at those games Conker actually has far more wrong with it in general. I'm also likely to question anybody in the future that I see talking poorly on Rare's post-Kameo output, whilst simultaneously holding Bad Fur Day up as an example of classic Rare, because if I'm truly honest... I don't think they've made a game this bad since.

... The graphics are ridiculously good for an OG Xbox game though.

Still somewhat interested in the Project Spark Conker game, but surprisingly, I'm now hoping it actually improves on many aspects of the original, rather than what I initially expected... which would have been to simply be a decent approximation of the original.

Synth

Original Post

Conker's Big Reunion

Criteria: Standard completion
Time played: ~1 hour.

OMFG this was bad... like, holy shit... I don't even really want to talk about it.

Quite possibly the worst thing I've played in recent memory. So much for improving on Bad Fur Day's issues. I feel bad for Conker fans.

original post

26. Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (NDS) - 8h30m;

DragonQuestHeroesRocketSlimeBox.jpg

I can't really say too many bad things about this game. It has decent adventure gameplay, graphics, variety and humour. But in the end, it didn't really grab me all that much. I had some fun moments, but overall, I don't really cared that much for this title. On one hand, gameplay relies heavily on looting, but when you're going through dungeons, you have to find minecarts to put your loot on to, to get it registered and you can only carry 3 things at once, which I didn't find particularly thrilling. On top of that, it's generally pretty easy and combat is kinda dull and most fun in the few occasions you find weapons. Then there's realtime tank fights in which you have to load your cannons and come up with some basic strategies, with lots of detail put into it. However, there's so many fights, it gets kinda tiresome. Despite good presentation, I also wasn't really feeling it. Last game I finished was Kirby Superstar, which I loved, so it can't be because it's too child orientated. The humour wasn't even that bad in fact, but I can't put my finger on why this didn't really entertain me that much, despite doing nothing strikingly wrong and me usually liking this kind of thing.

I think it says a lot about this game's charm, that so many people remember it so fondly, despite just how much is wrong with its core gameplay. Moment to moment, the act of actually playing Conker's Bad Fur Day is surprisingly poor.

I always heard the Xbox version was worse, but I already found it very bad on N64 (at least after coming back to it after a while, with the humour not being surprising anymore). There's actually tons of variety, with lots of different tasks, minigames and gameplay styles. Unfortunately, almost none of them were particularly well executed. There's also some really annoying puzzles, clunky controls and the most tedious tasks are usually the stuff that has to be repeated multiple times.

Nete

Long time since last update. Original post.

homeworldboolx.png

#16: Homeworld (PC)
11 hours

This is a game I never understood on its full scope when it was originally released. I was young, and I guess I expected a more pewpewing game than the majestic and nostalgic experience we finally got. This time, tho, I loved it from beginning to end. I still think some missions could have done with a bit more combat, but overall is a fantastic game, and top notch in all its artistic features, from soundtrack to ships design.
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;

homeworld21uq20.png

#17: Homeworld 2 (PC)
10 hours

And here is the extra pewpewing I originally expected for Homeworld 1. Ironically, while the first game had too little combat, this sequel has *too much*, to the point it becomes kinda exasperating at times with all the waves of enemy ships you must destroy or the areas you must check and clear. Clearly inferior to the first game, but still great.
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;

codenamegordonc3pe9.png

#18: Codename: Gordon (PC)
1 hour

I completely forgot the existance of this little game until I saw a friend playing it some weeks ago, and decided to give it a go. It's a charming promotional piece for Half-Life 2 and it can be fun at times, but as a game is very poor.
&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;

hotline23hpqw.png

#19: Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)
6 hours

I was a bit scared with this game. Hotline 1 was one of the most pleasant surprises I've played on the last few years, but I was not sure if the relatively simplistic (but awesomely intense) gameplay would sustain per itself another game. At the end it actually does and is a blast to play, but overall the level design feels notably worse than the first game... and that's a huge problem on a game like this.
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;

pillarsuwquw.png

#20: Pillars of Eternity (PC)
70 hours

It's far from being a perfect game. It has some balance issues (although Obsidian is constantly working on this), there is too much combat at times, and the stronghold system is clearly underused and disappointing. I don't give a shit. It's a goddamn masterpiece.
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

gamedev4vqvx.png

#21: Game Dev Tycoon (PC)
7 hours

I was going to say "Fun game", but it really isn't. Addictive? Sure. Interesting? Yeah. But fun? Not really. Yeah, mocking the industry while making your own games of weird genres and silly names is great, but how you do it, not so much. Many times the logic behind in how you should distribute your points during the development of a game doesn't make any sense, turning the game into a trial and error fest kinda tedious. Yeah, you can always (and you will) use one of those wonderful guides out there, but that's not fun either. Is actually even worse, as the guide plays for you.
&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;

gta5ynr4k.png

#22: Grand Theft Auto V (PC)
42 hours

Incredible game. So many things to do, so many places to go, so much detail everywhere, so much everything. I still have a gazillion things pending outside the main history, but honestly I have no idea when I will tackle them. Someday.

jediknightdsq8a.png

#23: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight (PC)
9 hours

I'm always amazed with the level design of this game. All the levels are so huge, so freaking vertical, with a great balance of pewpewing, plataforming, exploration, puzzles and secrets (usually mixed all together). It also does a great job on the "I'm a fucking Jedi" part, although the lightsaber feels a bit underwhelming and not as useful as it should be in a game with this name.

jedioutcastt8qry.png

#24: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (PC)
13 hours

My favourite Jedi Knight game, and IMHO one of the best Star Wars games out there. It suffers with a slow start, the cutscenes are awful and incredibly disappointing after the charming FMV from DF2, your huge arsenal of laser weapons* are forgotten once you get the lightsaber, and the level design may be not as inspired as on the previous game. But who cares. Once you reach Bespin the game becomes a rollercoaster with you, a badass bearded Jedi, kicking stormtroopers and Sith asses all around the galaxy with a fantastic lightsaber combat and, overall, the best representation of a Jedi and its powers on a videogame to date.

*Fuck them, tho. It's awfully stupid how hard is to hit a moving target (even walking directly towards you!, or at just 2 meters away) with most of them.

invisiblemdplm.png

#25: Invisible, Inc (PC)
22 hours, and icreasing

A stealth masterpiece, and one of the best turn-strategy games I've played on the last few years. It may lack variety on items/programs/enemies/missions/environments for a roguelike FTLesque game, but the core gameplay is just flawless. It's really easy to fuck up a stealth game with stupid concessions to reach a wider audience, or just being unable to balance it correctly, making the game too hard/too easy... but Klei knocked it out the park. Again.

Coldsun

Banned
#1 Mortal Kombat X
12 hours
A much better story than 9 but found the multiplayer to be far more lackluster than desired.

#2 Saints Row 4: Gat out of Hell
8 hours
Fun, but definitely not as much humor as previous installments

#3 Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
5 hours
Simply amazing. It feels like a complete game and just as good as Wolf:TNO

#4 Killing Floor 2
20 hours
Was fun leveling up a commando but I am definitely for more maps before I return.

#5 Grand Theft Auto 5
19 hours

#6 Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin
9 hours
I must be a DS2 sucker because I absolutely loved this version (After getting Surround working). The gametime would of been far longer but I had already put in 100s of hours on the original DS2.

#7 Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
8 hours
A solid Zelda clone. Native Surround support was a pleasant surprise for a mobile port.

#8 Pillars Of Eternity
40 hours
I thought I had outgrown the slow top down RPGS. I was wrong, oh so wrong.

jiggles

Banned
Games 1 - 20
Games 21+

Game 30: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
180_the-witcher-2-xbo9vq8e.jpg

I'd owned this for ages but swore I wouldn't start it until I finished the original Witcher. The glowing reviews for Wild Hunt caused me to reassess that and I decided earlier in the week that the first game was a lost cause, but that I'd definitely get through this before I bought the new one. So this was a bit of a rushed playthrough. I did little of the sidequesting, and the tutorial arena told me I should be playing on Easy, so I didn't argue (though, it was a little ridiculous during some of the key fights that I'd absolutely whup someone's ass then cut to cutscene where Geralt is struggling). I went down the Iorveth path and have no regrets about any of the decisions throughout the game. It was a fantastic experience, with some of the most impressive world-building I've ever seen. The whole place feels alive, and the plot was packed full of enough double-crosses that it never lost its intrigue. The last chapter felt like the weakest, though. Almost as if it was rushed itself. I think most of the additions in the Enhanced Edition were here, but because I didn't seek out sidequests, I missed them and can see why they felt more content was needed. It thought it was a bit of a shame that you could basically ignore traps, bombs and signs, though that's probably down to it being on Easy. I'll bump it up for the Wild Hunt, for which my hype is now at fever pitch. Can't wait to pick up this story.
If you like Dragon Age or Game of Thrones, you'll like this

Original Post

Game 21: inFAMOUS: Second Son - Around 8 hours - May 17th, 2015
U8RZqou.png

So I finished I:SS last year for the first time actually. But I decided to go back to I:SS this week to finish up the Platinum trophy. As part of that, I had to do an "Evil" playthrough on Expert, so I absolutely played the game again. To some extent, I felt like the Evil playthrough was a little bit better written than the "Good" one. My main complaint from last year still stands. The "choices" are just too binary to take seriously. You can either be a perfect little angel or an absolute piece of trash. Yeah, so I want to be rough and tumble and kill soldiers. That doesn't mean that I want to kill activists, civilians and musicians! But the game gets past its mediocre writing by virtue of its glorious visuals and really fun core gameplay. And even within the weak writing, they still get the hero's attitude right. It's fantastic to play a character who isn't scared of his powers or resistant to them. inFAMOUS really is about "enjoying your powers."
- 7/10

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Original Post.

untitled-15aupl.jpg

Game #10 3D Classics Kirby's Adventure. Story complete, 100% of activity to do.

A classic NES title whose style, simplicity, and lack of much of the extras I've come to expect in a Kirby game today, lovingly revisited with the addition of stereoscopic 3D that combined with a New 3DS, I found myself quite appreciating for it's art and design for all the tricks they used back in the day to make the NES appear stronger graphically than it actually was.

I was somewhat taken aback by having a harder time that I expected, having previously played the original remake of the title on GBA and more recent games in the series, where numerous small changes and helpful abilities had long since come into the fray for Dreamland. Nothing too drastic in difference, but enough I would be hit more often than I would in say the Wii game or I wouldn't be as smooth as I would in Kirby: Triple Deluxe. Perhaps just the lack of more sensitive controls, having to still emulate the original NES controller, lead to some of this.

I had fun with it, both as a revisit to a more simple time of platformers, but also as a chance to truly appreciate what autostereoscopy 3D can do for a title just to bring out it's design and flavour of sprite work.

untitled-1adu8k.jpg

Game #11 The Order: 1886. Complete as in the story was finished. If there was more to do in the game, I never checked.

I would walk five hundred miles, and I would walk five hundred more; Just to be the man who walked a thousand miles, to fall down at Victoria's door. Not out of desire mind, but simply because so much of this game was just that.

While I did quite appreciate the setting and the set-up for the story, I simply could not find myself enjoying so much of simply walking and talking, nor finding small clues just to move on without any real sense of discovery or interest in what happens next. Even the moments of action, simple small arena third person shooting, did little to keep my interest when I knew they never lasted long enough.

However I must be one to Proclaim, I can't say it was a bad game, for I knew full well what type of game it was going to be and how heavy the QTE was to be, I just never got into it beyond hope of something more. Glimpses of something special, competent at worst, enough to make me curious for it's short length.

header62qrz.jpg

Game #12 The Treasures of Montezuma 4 on Steam. Completed each mode, story, and challenge. Four missing achievements that simply are tedious and would result in it being work to get, not enjoyment of playing.

A classic styled Match-3 puzzle game with an Aztec theme, story, and art design, whose claim to difference comes in the form of power ups when you use the same colour jewels twice in a row for power, and a RPG type level up system.
I found myself quite enjoying this game after long being away from getting into any Match-3 too heavily due to burn out in a decade ago, but this one provided just the right balance of being casual and a sense of improvement in skill that I found worthwhile to spend time with until I saw all that I could.

While the story was basic and cliché, it's dozen or so different type of challenges (unlock items, destroy frogs who are on jewels, get certain unbreakable blocks to the bottom, etc) offered a nice variety that I wasn't burnt out on simply the same thing or same tactics all the time. Each of the power ups, once unlocked, gave me a reason to play certain levels with different strategies or to return once I got a better version of the power.

I can't say I will ever play it again, but with some 15 or so hours of actual play time into it in quick bursts here and there, I'm glad I bought the game for $1 CAD.

untitled-1yjst5.jpg

Game #13 Contra for NES. Finished the story with 1 life remaining.

Classic run and gun shooter that I simply never got around to ever playing beyond a quick demo of until recently. What needs to be said about this infamous title for difficulty and challenge other than it's one of the classics for memorising the stages and patterns, and knowing the right weapons for each section? It certainly holds up to this day and is a true classic that I thoroughly enjoyed, and one I can claim I beat by myself without the need to cheat (not even the Konami code).

untitled-1yous5.jpg

Game #14 Jack N' Jill for iOS. Completed each stage.

Aesthetically inspired by classic Game Boy black and white, a background not far removed from the world of Kirby with characters of Adventures of Lolo, but at it's heart a core iOS designed auto-running platformer with simple tap to jump controls.

As many has discovered auto-runners are well designed for some precision platforming on mobile devices and the best bet for original games over virtual gamepads, this title serves as an example of a competent game that can offer a decent challenge and desire to do better with reattempts of the run without ever being truly frustrating. It's not as well designed as Ubisoft's Rayman Jungle Run and the like, but I enjoyed it enough to see each of the stages it offered.

I'm not sure I would recommend it to many others, unless they simply want a nice simple and free platformer to pass the time, as it never truly does anything special or unique. Once it's charm wears off and you notice there is no scale in difficulty or stage design, it lacks much of a reason to keep playing beyond being a time waster.

untitled-16pp1b.jpg

Game #15 The Ninja for Master System. Got to the end and and beat my high score three times.

A top down run and gun, well run and throw knives, that beyond it's Japanese setting did little to truly make it different from many of this once overly saturated sub-genre. Running constantly upward, avoiding enemy weapons, killing every enemy you see, and finding the five scrolls to get to the true final level, it never does anything to amaze even for the time.
In a simplistic way I found it fun, but I must admit I only truly played it to completion for the sake of doing something I failed to do when I purchased the game as a young lad and finally scratch the itch.

header3uqm1.jpg

Game #16 Guacamelee! Gold Edition for Steam. Story mode and completion of every challenge, secret, and achievement.

Not my first time having completed a version of Guacamelee!, having done so once before on the PS3 to full Platinum Trophy competition, and as such not much new for me outside of Gold Edition's extra challenge rooms that I found in good fun. Though I did get quite the thrill playing as The Tick I must admit.
Enjoyable as always this Metroid-like (not Metroidvania, which requires more openness and freedom of secrets I believe), with a Canadian love for Mexican festivities, title. While never too complicated for it's combat system as only just slightly above the basic beat-em-up (it's no Legend of Spyro: Eternal Night), and I still found myself wanting more in the way of platforming challenges still, it was a lovely game to go through again having not visited since the original release.

Memes, in-jokes, references, gags, excuse to revisit areas to collect everything though never quite needed, and a well made world with each section being visually unique and fun to go through all provided extra enjoyment that I did not get tired of noticing things in the background or between the world of the living and the world of the dead. For that, as someone who loves artwork and design as much as game play, it is still a nice treat as an experience. Though I doubt I will revisit it once I get around to Super Turbo Championship Edition.

untitled-15duvx.jpg

Game #17 Pokemon Shuffle. Every off-line possible Pokemon stage beat and captured, seen enough of the daily or special challenges.

A free to play, spend money if you want to play more right away/have an easier time, sequel to Pokémon Trozei that takes what the previous built on, but made it more straight forward for people to get into no matter their level of Pokemon knowledge. I quite appreciated the game simply telling me what type was strong against what, having little knowledge past Pokemon Blue.

While the worry with F2P titles is that there is never quite enough to without spending money, or that it lacks enough that a standard pay all at once title, I found myself not once needing or wanting to spend any money other than twice simply to tell Nintendo they did a good job and I think they deserved some profit off of me for it.
As puzzle games of matching 3 or more it offered it's fair share of depth and variety in terms of how to set up each board for different effects each Pokemon produced, while never being bogged down by a silly story or slowness in increasing the options one had until it was getting close to the end of the game as it currently stands.
Numerous times I was faced with stages I could not beat until I found a proper combination of Pokemon to use that best fit the situation and worked with my play style and focus, often being a line-up the game itself would not recommend to me.

Having never grown frustrated at only playing five times in a row before I had to put it away until I got more attempts unlocked, never seeing the need to spend any money at all, and finding it to be a solid puzzle title on various levels, I had good fun with this game since it's release. I may have no desire to revisit it again as it can't possibly change too much and I grow weary of Match-3 titles now, it may be something I come back to in a few years and find myself enjoying it yet again.

Spyware

Done! :D 52 games from the backlog finished, 54 in total!
This will be my new main post since I reached the character limit on the first :D

05-17-15 - Game 50: The Fall - 3½ hours
This is a great game! Don't know why I haven't played it earlier. I remembered liking the description and screenshots when I got it, but I never researched it back then. I chose not to refresh my memory and go in basically blind. "Wow" is all I can say about the story and stuff. It also looks great! Not a fan of the inventory/interact system and a few puzzles are not that good but it's a solid game anyway. Looking forward to the next part of the trilogy now.

05-18-15 - Game 51: A Story About My Uncle - 3½ hours
A very nice idea but the controls were not my friend at all. I really don't know what I did wrong but most of the running jumps and such didn't work and I just jumped too short or walked off ledges. The grapple range also felt random at times. It looks great and is an interesting concept but I don't know if I'll ever return to it to try the challenging cheevos.

05-18-15 - Game 52: The Swapper - 4 hours
Here is an example of a great concept done in a great way. Everything works just perfectly. I really loved the (lack of) difficulty. Just challenging enough to make me stop and think for a minute, never hard enough to make me frustrated. Looks great and has an interesting setting and story.

05-24-15 - Game 53: Pokémon LeafGreen - 30-ish hours
Yeah I remember that I called Kanto boring when playing FireRed earlier this year... but this time I remembered more and had a couple of nice extra rules (Alphabetlocke!) to make the Nuzlocke more interesting. I really wish there was a Gen 4+ remake instead tho. That lack of special/physical split kills me :p

05-28-15 - Game 54: Pokémon Y - 20-ish hours
Wanted more Pokémon but didn't wanna bother with a Nuzlocke so I ran through this one to get all the version exclusive stuff and transfer them to my main Gen 6 game. This game is sooooo good. I just love Gen 6.

05-29-15 - Game 55: Croc: Legend of the Gobbos - 5 hours? No idea!
Guh, talk about rose-tinted glasses... I sort of remembered this game as almost as good as Spyro from when I was little and loved "3D platforming games with animal protags". The clunky control/camera makes it almost a pain to play. It's better when you rush it a bit but still not at all the enjoyable experience I remember from my childhood.

06-03-15 - Game 56: Haunting Ground - 8 hours
I played this for a bunch of hours back in 2007 or 2008 but gave up when
Mr. Invisible Riccardo
showed up. I feel I made the better choice that time. Almost everything before that point is pretty cool and definitely something I felt was worth playing. After the above spoiler I mostly just got annoyed and wanted it to end.

06-08-15 - Game 57: Dark Cloud - 40-ish hours
Went in completely blind and got very surprised by this game. I had no idea that it had the rebuild villages thing and that was pretty cute. I regret trying to do everything so perfectly because when it ended I wasn't exactly happy, more relieved it was over :p

06-10-15 - Game 58: Antichamber - 5 hours
I bought this game quite some time ago due to the praise it got basically everywhere. I hated it. I really didn't get the praise at all. I played it for two hours and then decided to let it die in the Hidden tab in my Steam Library. But then it popped up in the latest HB and I saw people praise it again. I decided to give it a second chance since it stills sounded like a game that would suit me very well... and it clicked! I completed all the puzzles and had a blast. This is a very special game.

06-14-15 - Game 59: Conker's Bad Fur Day - 11 hours
I really don't know what to say. The only thing I had seen before playing this was the The Great Mighty Poo. It's an insane game. It really is. And very fun, except for some extremely annoying parts. Very glad to finally have experienced this.

06-15-15 - Game 60: Mind: Path to Thalamus - 4 hours
I really didn't click with this one. It's sort of pretty but at the sime time it's so... static? It doesn't feel alive. I never got hooked by the story or the mechanics either. I dunno. Meh.

06-22-15 - Game 61: Batman: Arkham Asylum - 15 hours
Played this at release on 360 and realised I hadn't played the PC version I got in a bundle quite a while back. Perfect to play when hyped for Knight, I thought. And I was right! It looks great (when you finally get it to work) and it's still a great game. I love the predator rooms, maybe because I suck at the combat. Grabbed all the riddler stuff too, it was fun!

06-30-15 - Game 62: Batman: Arkham City - 30-ish hours
Same thing as the previous one, finished it at release on 360 but hadn't played the PC version. I'm still not a big fan of this game. It's a good game but it's just... not Asylum. I like the story, especially the ending and the boss fights are way better than Asylum's. I feel like the side missions could have been great but the two most interesting ones just... stop. No conclusion at all. It's just Batman saying "I'll fix it after the game is over". Grr. Not a fan of the way they tried to make this an open world. It's like they made it too small and too big at the same time. Hrm.

07-15-15 - Game 63: Persona - 33 hours
What a game. I've mostly heard people say that you should keep away from this one and just play 3 and 4 instead, but I love going back to the beginning of a series to see how it has grown. I'm happy I checked out some hints and stuff before starting because wow... this game is strange. I'm happy that I didn't listen to people saying it's not worth playing because I think it is, if you research it a bit first. I couldn't really push myself to play both paths tho and checked out SQQ on Youtube instead. It seemed to be annoying to play but I loved that story.

07-30-15 - Game 64: Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker - 30 hours
Started this a long time ago but couldn't really get into it then. This time it worked better and it's been a great game to play while watching TI5. Cute monsters and a working combat system... that's basically all you need for this kind of game. ;P

08-07-15- Game 65: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 95 hours
I just love this one. Been thinking about it since playing DA:I. I liked the first zone in DA:I but the rest were way too empty. I remembered this game being stuffed with stuff to do in every zone and missed it.
Since I had completed it before and the story isn't that interesting, it was a really nice game to play while watching TI5 on another screen. My biggest problems with the 360 version were the horrible load times and the awful FoV, both fixed by playing it on PC (thanks Widescreen Fixer <3). Grabbed all the cheevos and had a blast. Only thing is miss is mounts. Would have been sooo cool.

08-17-15 - Game 66: Golden Sun - 26 hours
This is a big one for me because this game has been in my backlog for almost 9 years! Finally through it! When I complete the sequel I will be done with GBA :O
Would have never guessed 24 hours if the save file didn't tell me that. It feels like it's twice as long! I actually tried to start this game earlier this year but gave up really early. The story was just... I dunno. Slow? The gameplay tho! It's a really nice game if you can overlook the talky talky talk. I liked both the puzzly stuff and the battles.

08-18-15 - Game 67: Escape Goat - 3 hours
An "old" fav! Played through it a couple of years ago but wanted to go back and complete it. The cheevo run took me 2 hours and I can't say I was looking forward to the "speed run" (beat it in 45 mins). Thought for sure I was gonna have to replay it until I hated the game since I've never been good at this kind of stuff. But... first try! and that's with lots and lots of mistakes. I died/retried almost 50 times :O

08-22-15 - Game 68: Batman: Arkham Origins - 30-ish hours
They do a bunch of things really well but then screw up stuff horribly. The traversal is much better than in City and the fast travel was a really nice QoL addition too. I loved how much more they focused on Batman being a great detective with the crime scenes. I disliked the fact that there was sooo much brawling (especially in the
police building
and extremely few predator rooms. I love predator rooms! The brawling felt both more and less forgiving at the same time. I got way more combos and all my hits were critical ones (and I'm pretty bad at the combat), but they could get borked by the smallest things.
I don't think a single life bar was correct (the fights end before you empty the life bar) and the boss fights were all too long. That
Deathstroke
fight was just torture :p

08-24-15 - Game 69: Pokémon Ruby - 50-ish hours
Had one last GBA Pokémon game to nuzlocke my way through and I hadn't played Ruby or Sapphire in quite some time. It's much more simple than Emerald, so I decided to do a "notepad" run where I can't even catch new Pokémon until something dies. Then I had the bright idea to combine it with banning item usage in battle plus not using a guide... My death count was embarassingly high :p It's also the first run where my starter hasn't made it to the end.

08-31-15 - Game 70: Batman: Arkham Origins blackgate - 13 hours for 3 playthroughs
What a surprise! I had only heard bad things and my first impression wasn't nice at all. The intro is slow and annoying and the controls are not really great. The map is also the worst thing ever.
Buuut.. when I got into it I really liked it! I liked the boss fights and... I dunno. Hard to explain what kept me playing actually. But I played it three times to grab all the achievements and had a nice time.

09-01-15 - Game 71: LUME - 20-ish minutes?
I'm pretty confused that this is sold as a game. I feels more like a demo. They mention it being part 1 of a larger story but it's just... really, really short (for the price at least). I also didn't enjoy the puzzles.

09-02-15 - Game 72: The Old City: Leviathan - 1 and a half hour
I think I got some of what it was trying to say about the biblical stuff, modernism, existentialism and all that stuff... but I simply didn't find any of it interesting. Kept playing just to see all the eye candy because this game is really pretty. "Walking Simulators" often are tho, and I don't really it's not worth trekking through this for the visuals only.

09-06-15 - Game 73: Pokémon Platinum - 117 hours
Worst. Nuzlocke. Ever.
A game often named the hardest to nuzlocke, and I hade the brilliant idea to make it way harder. I couldn't use Pokémon that resisted a gym's type and I couldn't use any super effective moves at all. I'm surprised I even got through it.

09-17-15 - Game 74: Grandia - 61 hours
Another one of the oldest backlog games cleared and the last PS1 game at the moment! Charming game! I got sad about having to lose party members so often tho. Strange to adventure with someone and then not see them for the whole rest of the game :O The ending was horrible but the way there was fun.

09-23-15 - Game 75: Golden Sun: The Lost Age - 39 hours
I dunno what to think of the fact that it's pretty much just the second half of the whole game. Wasn't a fan of playing with a completely different party but they grew on me. Other than that it's pretty much just the same good game as the first part.

09-26-15 - Game 76: Mean Streets - 8 hours
This was a surprise. Expected something like what the second game ended up being and got positively surprised. I liked it a lot even tho it was a bit drawn out and the travel was mostly dead time. It's old and it shows, of course, but it's really charming.

09-27-15 - Game 77: Martian Memorandum - 7 hours
I liked the story a bit better than the one in Mean Streets, I think, but the gameplay was a letdown after the interesting first game. It also felt older somehow. The sound was worse and the pointy-clicky bits sometimes annoyed me to bits due to pixel hunting. Then we have the hoverboard section... ugh. I'm glad that's over ;D But it's still a good game, just not as cool as the first one was.

Labadal

Games 1-20
Games 21+

Game 23: Pillars of Eternity - 72 hours
PC

I just beat the game on hard, playing for around 72 hours, completing every quest in the game. I will start off by saying that I don't regret backing the game, but that it has its problems.

My two cents:

I approached most combat encounters the same way: Send in tanks and then use ranged characters to help out. Things changed a bit when I had the paladin and druid in my team, because they were used as both melee and ranged combatants. There were some fun encounters, namely the bounties and a few fights here and there. Otherwise, I just stuck to the same tactics a lot of the time. Pathfinidng wasn't always what I wanted it to be and that was my biggest fear pre-release. People expected it to be good, but I said on the Obsidian fora that it was one of my biggest concerns. It worked most of the time, but there were moments when it truly pissed me off. I still miss hard counters, I didn't like the camping supply system, and ally/enemy AI was a bit of a letdown. I didn't hate melee engagement, but it should have been used as an ability in the game. The entire game shouldn't revolve around it. I usually just stuck to the same spells most of the time and when I reached level 9-11, I used the low level spells almost all the time. I barely used any potions or food, so that added a little challenge. Party members were mostly useless as their stats were crap, but I stuck with them for story reasons.
Visibility in combat was at times very annoying. Luckily, it didn't reach NWN2 levels for me.

Most maps looked nice, especially those that had been painted over. On the other hand, there were some maps that looked a little rough. In general, I was very impressed with the graphics. Armour designs also looked cool and I bought stuff just to see how they looked. Voice acting was decent and the writing was also decent. Above average according to me, but not as good as MotB or some of their other games. The music wasn't something I thought about much, but the soundtrack grew on me and I have to say that I really like it.

The quests were a bit underwhelming. There were a few good ones like one in Dyrford village, and some others here and there. A lot of the quests were a bit too straight forward and not super exciting. I guess it was nice that you could solve quests in different ways. As I said earlier, I really liked the bounties and they were a fun challenge. On the other hand, I was disappointed by everything else that had to do with the stronghold, barring the mega dungeon which I liked.

While I don't think the combat is as good as the IE games, I still liked the character system, even if it needs to be improved. I felt like there is a lot to choose from with how you develop your class. I had Eder as a tank but I also made a custom two handed fighter that I used occasionally. The companions were a mixed bag. I didn't care much for Pallegina, Sagani and Aloth. I really liked Durance, Eder and Hiravias. The others were okay. When it comes to other NPCs, there weren't really many that I cared for or hated. Again, there were a few that stood out, but in general, I forgot about many of the NPCs after a while.

My biggest disappointment is a selfish one. I was not happy to see how backer NPCs were handled. I saw mine and his sotry didn't match what I had written at all. He was a monk, that was about it. Had I known, I would have made an item. I hope that they don't have a useless reward like that for the next KS game.

All in all, I'd give the game an 8/10. I prefer F:NV, MotB and AP over PoE, but then again, those are some of my favorite rpgs. I'd put it with KOTOR II which I also like a lot.

(It's 2 AM over here, sorry for the incoherence and spelling mistakes.)

Game 24: Rollers of the Realm - 3,5 hours
PC

I was itching to play a pinball, so I tried this game with rpg elements. It wasn't anything special but it served as a decent time waster. Got the game in a bundle, so I can't really complain much. I wouldn't recommend the game at full price. Maybe a fiver.

mp1990

Banned
#24 Sonic Generations

Sonic-Generations-Sega-Render-Art-Screen.jpg

Pretty cool game. I never was a big Sonic fan (actually Generations is the first game from the series i finished), since that i grew up in when Sonic games were on fall, so i didn't get the nostalgia appeal of it, but the great design, especially on the 3D levels, the music and even the "cinematic"
terrible word but i don't know how to explain it lol
aspect of it made me really like it. The 2D levels aren't half as good as the other ones, though, and the bosses, especially the last one, are crap. Well, totally worth the $12 bucks i spent on it, would sure buy a Generations 2.

#25 Super Smash Bros 4

super_smash_bros__4___roster_by_themjdoctor-d6nzbq0.png

Its really great, and it's amazing how Sakurai crafted with so many details a huge game like this. More than 50 characters, a lot of scenarios, so many trophies, game modes and such, it's pretty spectacular. Playing it with friends was one of the most funny experience i had this year, just so many laughs with the constant fails of my friends. Overall, for someone like me, that is terrible at fighting games, it's a great game, much easier to get it, even that i'm still pretty bad. I really want to see the new DLCs, and i'm certain they will be great.

jb1234

Game 24 - Axiom Verge - Started 5/14/15, finished 5/16/15 - 8:36

In many ways a great game and in many ways deeply flawed, Axiom Verge is really the sum of its parts. I enjoyed the level design, the artwork and the music but found the story and bosses (especially the final one) to be disappointing. There was an interesting tale hidden in here somewhere but it's sabotaged by very poor character development. And while a mainstay of the genre, I found that it was very easy to get lost in this game after getting a new ability and being not sure where to go. I spent far too much time wandering around the maps trying to figure out what to do and it wasn't enjoyable. In the end, I beat it with 56% items and 86% map completion and I don't especially feel the urge to keep hunting, especially since the game doesn't make it easy for you to find hidden items. Still, deeply impressed for a one-man project.

Game 25 - Broken Age - Started 4/11/15, finished 5/18/15 - 9:35

Well, that was disappointing. I had played the first Act last month and had a good time. The writing was sharp, the puzzles weren't too demanding and it was a nice teaser for the second Act. Which kinda sucked. The puzzles were dialed up to levels so obnoxious that I needed a walkthrough for most of them and I STILL had a hard time because the worst ones were randomized. I also found the writing in the second Act much sloppier and it ended in a very unsatisfying, anticlimatic way. The whole thing left a bitter taste in my mouth, a shame because those first three hours were fantastic.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

GAME #16: Metal Gear Solid V: Grounds Zeroes (2014)
| Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733; | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Kojima Productions |

There's this problem where you have a good idea and good execution. There's just not that much of it. There's not even half a game here but what's there is masterfully executed. It promises a real treat in the coming Phantom Pain.

GAME #17: Driveclub (2014)
| Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Evolution Studios |

GAME #18: Little Big Planet 3 (2014)
| Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733; | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Sumo Digital |

Coming off Little Big Planet (Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;) and Little Big Planet 2 (Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;½) this latest entry is a bit disappointing. The main problem with the game is that it isn't very engaging. The single player portion of the game is boring with no sense of pacing. It's nice that they try new things but there's so many new things that's constantly being introduced that it never amounts to a whole just disjointed parts. They should be thankful that the level editor more than makes up for those short-coming.

GAME #19: Grim Fandango: Remastered (2015/1998)
| Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Double Fine/LucasArts |

One of the true masterpieces of the medium. Tim Shafer's Grim Fandango is one of the funniest and most rewarding adventure games ever made. It basicly created in career. Seeing it not almost 20 years after its initial release it still stands as a prime example in how to write and pace a game. Every single character is memorable and adds to the overall story.

jnWake

Main Post

Game #16. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga (GBA VC)
- Time played: 22:21 hours.
- Completion reached: Beat the game once, not sure if there's any collectible to call it 100% but I believe I did all sidequests.

Mario & Luigi is one of the franchises born as successors to classic title Super Mario RPG (the other being Paper Mario of course). Superstar Saga is the game that started this franchise, developed by AlphaDream who, IIRC, are former Square devs. Although this series is a successor to SMRPG, this game is a very unique hybrid, so I hesitate to actually call it a RPG.

Like SMRPG before it, M&LSS mixes RPG elements with traditional platformer elements, making a very unique game. On the RPG side, you have turn based battles, experience progression for your characters, equipment and more story focus than traditional Mario titles. Now, this formula is modified by adding platforming elements. For example, in battles you can make your characters jump to dodge attacks. In the overworld, similarly, you jump to access certain areas. SMRPG already did this but M&LSS really expands on it and adds a lot of abilites to your roster.

One of the key differences between SMRPG and M&LSS is that in the latter you only control Mario and Luigi instead of the traditional RPG party system found in the former. In fact, in the overworld you control both Mario and Luigi at the same time (they move together but can perform indepent actions like jumping or using their hammers). Through the game you will learn many abilities that will really deepen the control of Mario and Luigi, both in the overworld and the battlefield. I'm not sure if many games do this, but it's very neat. There's a lot of interactivity between the player and the game, more so than in almost any RPG.

Having described how the game works, I can now say I really like it. Battles are very dynamic and interactive, although they can get a bit repetitive in long dungeons. It usually takes a small while to figure out your enemies so repetition doesn't kick that often, but it did bother me in some of the latter dungeons. One of my favourite elements of the game are Bros Attacks, which require more precise inputs but deal incredible damage. Very satisfying to pull-off. The overworld is also pretty fun. The game world isn't that big, so exploring it to find secrets is often rewarding and interesting. Puzzles are a bit repetitive and simple, but despite that I felt they were fun.

One of my favourite things about the game is how charming it is. The animation and style of the sprites is great. I believe the designs are a bit more goofy in this game which leads to great facial expressions and hilarious animations. Luigi in particular is pretty funny. The story and dialogue are also great. One of the villains, Fawful, has some of the most nonsensical lines I've ever read in a game.

I strongly recommend this game to Mario fans and people who like RPGs or RPG inspired games. It's not that long and challenge is overall very manageable (honestly only had trouble against the final boss) so it's a nice game to have and play in short bursts!

marcincz

Next update of my finished games.

Game #16 : Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - Freedom Cry
E9TABVJm.jpg

Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; | Platform: PS4 | Beaten: 10/05/2015 | Time: 05:10 h

I enjoyed during Kenway adventures in AC4, but Freedom Cry wasn't so good for me. Very sad and difficult story. Slavery wasn't grateful topic. However it is still a good game.

Game #17 : Driveclub - Photo-Finish DLC
B1LRQfGm.jpg

Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; | Platform: PS4 | Beaten: 13/05/2015 | Time: 04:00 h

Returned to DC after, almost, 4 months. From this time Evo has made many updates, patches, fixes and in my opinion, currently DC is much easier, than few months ago, but still very enjoyable. Probably this is my favourite racing game of all time.

Game #18 : Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
iqRPBoUm.jpg

Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; | Platform: PS4 | Beaten: 18/05/2015 | Time: 10:00 h

It was my first contact with Wolfenstein. I've heared many positives about The New Order, so decided give it a shot. Very good and coherent story. Only one defect. Too many stealth sections. Besides brillant game and I want to try The New Order in the nearest future.

Original Post

Krafter

Over the halfway mark now, slower than I was last year, but I'll get the 52 around September or so.

Game 23: Yakuza (PS2) - April 28 - 17 hours
Stellar title. Semi-open-world brawler in Japan starring the manliest protagonist in gaming. Sega lives on, everything about Yakuza was fun, unique and cool at the same time, with a great cast and story. Kazuma is a ridiculous badass, while being honorable and extremely loyal at the same time, you really get into taking on the task at hand. I'm all in for the Yakuza series now, consider every game in the series bought.

Game 24: Infamous (PS3) - May 2 - 20 hours
Wow, this really snuck up on me, first time I have seen my childhood dream of 'open-world Super Hero game' realized. Mobility was prefect, giving you infinite freedom without being too overpowered. Cole is pretty much your generic western main character, but the baddies were interesting and the slow unveiling of the larger plot was handled very well, particularly the ending. A GOTY contender (2009) and great start to a series.

Game 25: Cooking Mama 2: Dinner with Friends (DS) - May 5 - 5 hours
Very silly and cute game, with a million different recipies to cook, but all quick enough that you can play them all in little bursts. Mama's voice is endearing, and little things like breaking eggs are somehow made charming. My oldest daughter did most of the heavy lifting, I cleaned up the harder meals, so her overall play time is far greater than mine, but I'm still counting it.

Game 26: Codename: Gordon (PC) - May 11 - 3 hours
Quick run and gun platformer starring the one and only Gordon Freeman. Okay at the outset, but the 2nd level with the jeep was awesome and the highlight of the game. It was marred by the mouse controls as I found it very easy to be turned around and shooting the wrong way as Aliens chew on your backside. Great menu music too, very silly.

Game 27: LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (PS3) - May 16 - 11 hours
I didn't bother with the open world much, but the campaign was great and probably my 2nd favourite in the series. I'm glad the characters are finally talking now, and the Superman theme when flying was out of nowhere, a great move. I Love these games, I try to play 1 or 2 every year.

Original Post

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
1-13

14. Bonanza Bros. (PC): 0:31, Feb. 7th.
I bought this as part of the Genesis Classics pack on Steam, and had never heard of it before. No one ever seems to mention Bonanza Bros., and after playing, it's kind of a shame. It's a very simple, short game, but it's solid and not bad at all. You just control one of the brothers, snag some items, and try to make it to the exit of the level without being captured by the guards. You can stun guards by shooting them. It's certainly not deep, but it's still enjoyable. The music is a bit forgettable. The only other major problem I have with the game is the fact that it's always in a split screen mode, even if you're only playing on your own. Other than that, it's pretty okay.

15. HuniePop (PC): 12:13, Feb. 9th.
HuniePop's gameplay needs to be broken into two different parts. The first part is the match-three puzzle portion of the game. That part is surprisingly good, and very addicting. It's mostly standard match-three gameplay, with some power ups you can earn by giving gifts to the different girls. Each girl has their favorite bubble that nets you more points if you can match it up (as in one girl likes the music bubbles, so you'll want to match up those the most when dating her, while another likes the star bubbles, etc.).

The other portion of the game revolves around talking with the different characters. It was much more bland than I expected, to be honest. The beginning segment can be pretty entertaining at times, and it's definitely the highlight when it comes to this segment of the game, along with the final segment. The introductory part of the game features all of the main cast interacting with each other, and actually leads to some funny, albeit slightly cringeworthy, moments. The characters never interact with each other after they're introduced, however, which is sort of disappointing. Outside of the match-three game you play when dating the girls, you don't do much with them. You can talk them and memorize different facts about them to gain points to purchase upgrades with, and give them gifts to reach the same ends, but that's essentially it. You don't really get to do much else with them, or interact with them on anything but a basic level. Some of the characters are sort of interesting, too, so it's a shame that there isn't more variety when it comes to interactions.

16. Stranded (PC): 0:29, Feb. 14th.
Stranded is a short, wordless adventure/point and click/walking simulator game that looks really beautiful and sounds pretty okay. The retro art direction is well done, and it's probably the game's best facet. The music is forgettable, but it's passable. Everything else about the game is pretty bad, though. There's a loose plot that involves waking up on a remote planet after your spaceship crash-landed, and you get to explore a few screens. That would make for an interesting plot in most circumstances, but Stranded is hampered by one of the worst things that a walking sim could ever do: have a frustratingly slow walking speed. The character moves so slow that I quickly lost interest in exploring and wanted to get to the next fucking screen as soon as possible, and there's no running in the game at all. It's painfully obvious that the slow pace was included to pad out the game, turning a 10 to 15 minute game into a 30 minute game. There's also a single ending that is completely unsatisfying. I played through Stranded twice to see if it has a hidden ending or something, and came up with nothing, which was also disappointing. This is one of the few times where I'll suggest completely avoiding a game even if it's in a bundle.

17. Unrest (PC): 2:55 total, 1:55 in 2014, Feb. 27th.
The setting and lore of Unrest are surprisingly refreshing, since the fantasy styled ancient Indian setting isn't explored all that often. There's a heavy focus on class segregation and an allegory for racial segregation as well, both of which are under-explored in games as well. Most of the writing is great, too, which is especially important as the entire game is based on the wide variety of choices you can choose. There were a few typos and noticeable grammatical errors here and there, but they weren't too terrible. Your choices seem to matter quite a bit, and have lasting effects on the rest of the story (admittedly I replayed a small segment after I ended up with a choice that kind of sucked, and received a completely different outcome that altered some stuff later on).

I have mixed opinions about the art style and soundtrack. The art doesn't look that great, and the game's indie roots are really obvious in that regard. The art is still passable, at least. The soundtrack is okay at first, and it has a distinct Indian flavor to it, but it gets old very fast once you're forced to hear the same songs constantly looping with nothing to break it up. Other than that, I wish the game had received more funding when it was on Kickstarter, as it would have been nice to have some of the features fleshed out more. The product we got is an okay game overall, though.

18. Game Dev Tycoon (PC): 39:31 total, 28:12 in previous years, Mar. 15th.
I spent a good chunk of time with this one in the past, but decided to fully finish it earlier this year. It's definitely not a game for everyone, and requires memorizing patterns or using a wiki, but it can still be enjoyable, or at least addicting as Nete pointed out just a few posts above this one. I do wish that the game topics weren't randomized, so they could be unlocked in any order one wanted. Most of the achievements that I had left involved naming games after real games, and the unobtanium achievement. Selling 100 million copies was actually pretty difficult, and I finally managed to do it by building up a large fan base. It felt good to finally complete this game, though I don't think I'll ever return to it.

19. Knights of Pen and Paper: +1 Edition (PC): 27:32, Mar. 23rd.
This game can best be described as a mindless game that makes for an adequate time waster when you have nothing better to do. Knights of Pen and Paper heavily relies on pop culture references for humor, which can either make or break the game for you depending on your tastes. I thought the jokes were cute and silly at first but they got kind of boring after a while, and I found myself skipping through a lot of the text, which is something that I don't usually do. I eventually put the game on mute, too, because I didn't really like the OST. If you have plenty of free time, it's relatively easy to earn all of the achievements for this one. The Haunted Fall DLC is also sort of pointless, so I would advise against going out of your way to buy it.

20. Oceanhorn (PC): 13:36, Apr. 9th.
Oceanhorn is a surprisingly good Zelda clone, especially when you consider its iOS origins. It's a mixture between Link Between Worlds and The Wind Waker, really. The setting is WW inspired (set on an ocean that is obviously the flooded land of an old kingdom), and the presentation is similar to LBW (top down, similar visual style). The important thing to note before getting into the game is that it naturally lacks the same level of quality that you would expect in an actual Zelda game. Yes, you have a boat that allows you to move between islands in Oceanhorn, but the boat is essentially put on rails after selecting a location to go to on the map (at least you have a shooting minigame to keep you occupied while traveling between islands). Yes, you can find upgrades and pieces of hearts, but there are relatively few upgrades when compared to most of the mainline Zelda franchise. There are even enemies that look very similar to Octorocks, ChuChus, and Darknuts. Some of the bosses are similar to Zelda bosses as well, with one boss mirroring the various Phantom Ganon fights (firing balls of energy, warping around, etc.). Earning all of the achievements is relatively easy, too. As a sidenote, you can fish in this game, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to earn all of the achievements. The final two fish you need to collect are frustrating to catch, especially the final fish since it gradually drains your health as you attempt to reel it in, which makes collecting every heart piece necessary.

The music and art style are pretty okay, though you'll occasionally be able to see the cracks in the world (as in missing parts of the environment when you manage to reach areas that you aren't normally meant to reach). The story could have been a bit better, but at least it sets up a potentially interesting setting with somewhat interesting backstory that could always be explored in future games. It's a decent game overall, and I'm definitely looking forward to any future games the devs release.

21. Pillars of Eternity (PC): 47:12, Apr. 10th.
As of early June, this is still my current GOTY. It's definitely not perfect, but everything about this game comes together so well that it makes for a wonderful experience. If you aren't a person that enjoys reading large amounts of text in RPGs, though, you should probably just avoid PoE. I know some people find the writing to be a little too verbose, but I never had any problems with it at all, outside of a few grammatical errors and spelling issues here and there. Those issues didn't pop up too frequently, though, so it's forgivable; considering just how large the game's script, I'm surprised that there weren't more errors. The first two chapters of the game felt fleshed out, especially the second chapter and its focus around the central hub city of Defiance Bay. The third chapter felt rushed, though, and I wish more attention had been given to it. After the second chapter, which took me about 20 hours, I was expecting the third chapter to be even longer, so I was disappointed when I discovered that it was about the same length, or maybe shorter, than the first chapter. I wish I had spent a little more time with some of the characters in my party, such as Sagani and Hiravias. I liked both characters, but I didn't really interact with them outside of completing their quest lines. I ended up liking most of the characters, though I think that some were more interesting than others. While Aloth and Eder weren't as interesting as some of the other party members, I still ended up liking them. The Grieving Mother and Pallegina were both great examples of strong female characters, too. The only character that I really didn't like that much was Kana Rua, but I'm sure that it stems from finishing his quest line relatively early in the game.

The music can be beautiful at times, and never felt out of place. The voice acting, on the other hand, didn't reach its full potential. While some lines of dialogue would receive voice acting, other dialogue would receive no voice acting at all, which just felt completely odd to me. The parts that were voiced were pretty good, though. It wasn't the most graphically impressive game, either, but it still managed to look pretty good for what it was.

I still believe that world and lore of PoE is the best part about the game. While some elements of the story were rushed (mostly in the final segment of the game in regards to the big plot twist that came out of nowhere) and probably should have been saved for future expansions/sequels, I still think that there's plenty of lore to explore. There are so many more exotic lands that Obsidian could explore in the future, so I'm definitely down for any expansions and sequels that Obsidian puts out. The epilogue allows for some of the characters, especially the Watcher, to return, and I really hope that the upcoming expansion builds off of the ending of the main campaign. One of the choices I made was a complete accident, and I honestly forgot about it, so I was really surprised when it showed up at the very end of the epilogue. If Obsidian somehow manages to incorporate that into a future release, I'll be even more surprised.

7haiy31.jpg

22. Pandora's Tower (Wii): 21:16, Apr. 15th.
I'll keep this one relatively short. I enjoyed my time with Pandora's Tower, but it never fully clicked with me. It's definitely a good game, though. I mostly enjoyed using the chain, and the bosses were mostly entertaining and relatively unique, but everything got repetitive after a while, especially when fighting the normal enemies. The time limit mechanic was done well, aided by the different shortcuts you could unlock within the different towers. I didn't feel as attached to the characters as I did with the other two operation rainfall games. That said, I still ended up liking Elena, and felt obligated to get the best ending. The master flesh eating scenes definitely made me uncomfortable and made me feel for her. While it was my least favorite op rainfall game, it's definitely solid, and I recommend playing it if you can find a copy of it.

23. Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (PC): 12:07, Apr. 18th.
I was really into Harry Potter when I was younger, and seriously, this is still one of the best Harry Potter games out there. It treats the lore right, and actually does a good job of condensing and turning the first four parts into a single videogame without ruining it. This is really the first TT Lego game to move towards focusing more on puzzles than combat with puzzles in the background, and the chance is really for the better. There are still combat sequences in the game, but exploration and easy puzzles are the main focus of the game, which works well with the general story and mood of the first four HP segments. It's still an easy game, but it would take a while to collect every single thing.

Exploring Hogwarts itself is great, and the design and layout of the castle and surrounding grounds in the game stays true to the series. Diagon Alley is recreated well, too. While there are tons of characters to unlock, quite a few of them are different forms of other characters and useless nameless characters (one character that I remember unlocking was a generic character simply named "Station Guard," and that wasn't the only example in the game). An expanded roster of characters from the later parts would have been nice, but it's not that big of a deal. The game is still a bit buggy at times, despite being out for five years, and the AI is still pretty bad at times, a problem the other TT Lego games share. If you can get past those small nuisances, and really enjoy either franchise, pick this one up.

24. State of Decay: Lifeline (PC): 7:06, May 8th.
I really liked the base game, but the DLC campaign isn't nearly as entertaining. While the base defense aspect could have been interesting, it often ended up being dull and detracted from the rest of the campaign. I felt as if I spent most of my time in the campaign driving on the highway that circles the no man's land in the center of the city. There were multiple times where I would have to go to the other side of the map and then discover that my base was under attack, prompting me to either continue my mission or hightail it back to my base in an attempt to defend it at least a little bit. The AI really isn't that great at defending the base on their own, and there really isn't any method of defense while you're away. Even when you're present for the breaches, the friendly AI still isn't that great at defending the base, so you mostly end up having to do everything yourself. The upgrade system for bases present in the main game returns, but the base has very limited options and lacks defensive options. The AI problems are compounded by the high spawn of enemies, which would be okay if you never wanted to go into the danger zones around the map where spawn rates increase. Unfortunately, this also extends to everywhere else in the lategame portion of the campaign, which becomes incredibly frustrating after a while. The plot is worse than the base game's plot line, though at least it offers some player choice towards the end. If you can buy it for under $2 on sale and you really want more State of Decay, go for it, but just go in knowing that it isn't nearly as enjoyable as the base game.

25. Unium (PC): 6:26, May 16th.
Unium is a fun little puzzle game about drawing a line along tiles to turn each tile white and create a pattern. It's as simple as it sounds at first, but gets more complex later on due to having to pass through some tiles multiple times. Some of the puzzles manage to become incredibly complex at times. The difficulty spikes every once in a while and then plateaus for a bit, which was slightly frustrating, though it was never enough to make me fully give up. The achievements are pretty straightforward to earn as well, though some of them require a lot of thought and guesswork. It was a fun little time waster, especially for the cheap price I purchased at in some random greenlight bundle.

26. A Bird Story (PC): 1:12, May 17th.
I have to agree with the general consensus. I didn't like this as much as To the Moon, but it was still good. The decision to create a game that focuses on its narrative while not including any dialogue actually lead to an interesting, unique little game in this instance, and I feel like that's A Bird Story's main draw. To the Moon just trumps it in nearly every way, and I'm sure that the next full game made by Freebird will be better than ABS too.

27. About Love, Hate, and the other ones (PC): 4:16, May 20th.
Another nice little puzzle game. You control two things called Love and Hate. Love can pull little block characters towards it and Hate can push other block characters away. A few other mechanics are added in, but it remains pretty simple to understand, with a few complex levels towards the end. I really don't have strong feelings about the game one way or the other, it's a decent game if you get it for cheap.

28. Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword (3DS): 4:29, May 25th.
Sakura Samurai never really clicked with me. The combat felt repetitive for the most part, though being a scrub probably didn't help. While the regular enemies weren't really difficult, I ended up losing to a few bosses, which would have been okay if there were checkpoints. Instead, I had to slog through the level leading up to the actual boss fight again, which only became truly frustrating for the final boss of the game. The boss fights themselves are probably the best bit of the game, and I wish there were more bosses in the game.

29. Shan Gui (PC): 1:00, May 28th.
Shan Gui is a very short visual novel from China, with a decent, somewhat awkward, translation. The voice acting is okay, but the sound quality is pretty terrible, with one of the three voiced characters apparently speaking through some sort paper towel roll throughout the whole story. The artwork is pretty good, except for the eyes, the eyes are kind of weird. The story is decent and sort of heartwarming, I guess. The tour of the Purple Mountain was a nice little informative journey, more so if you're interested in foreign culture. Overall, I'd recommend it if you bought the game in a cheap bundle. It's okay if you don't expect much from it.

30. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS): 194:30 total, 149:49 in 2014, June 5th.
New Leaf is now my favorite Animal Crossing game. Everything present from the older games is better than it was before. I actually managed to collect all of the fossils this time, and I collected a good portion of the fish and bugs. The villagers are still mostly good, and I still felt disappointed whenever one of them left. All of the little improvements (like stacking fruit to save inventory space) make the game flow better than previous AC entries and removes small sources of frustration. The new town customization options are where the game really shines, though. Funding and placing public works around the town wherever I wanted was a great addition to the game's mechanics, and I hope that it's expanded upon in the next AC. I'm considering this beaten because I've finally met the goal I set when I first started playing this for last year's challenge: fully expand my house. It took a long time to reach that goal, but it was a great experience doing so. New Leaf is easily one of my favorite 3DS games.

31-???

Original post

gyHSRD3.jpg

23. A-Train 3D: City Simulator (3DS)
All scenarios completed on Easy difficulty, no zoning restrictions.

As a big fan of Colossal Order's work with Cities in Motion, I naturally assumed their newest game, Cities: Skylines, would be one of my favourite games of the year. Now known as the SimCity it's okay to like, Skylines is a critical success and a fan favourite, and both Colossal Order and Paradox can be proud. Cities: Skylines, however, is no longer my favourite city/transit simulator of the year. That honour now belongs to A-Train 3D.

I am as shocked as you are.

Knowing very little about the A-Train series coming in and being skeptical of a digital-only train sim on the 3DS with practically no publicity, I was surprised to find that A-Train 3D might actually one of the best games ever released in the franchise. It's a comprehensive simulation that focuses on building up a railway system that can support and encourage growth in whatever region your company has been tasked with improving in any given scenario. If you want to get into the intricacies of train and timetable management, those options are available to you. Like researching technology improvements to your vehicles? That's in too. Want some business management on the side? How do you like the sound of depreciation and fixed asset taxes? Want to do more than just build trains? You can put together bus and streetcar routes too, and build a wide array of supporting businesses from convenience stores to sports stadiums to bring in extra cash. And where Cities: Skylines is very close to a pure sandbox experience, A-Train gives you specific scenarios with objectives to meet. Some people won't like this kind of play, preferring to tinker with railroads like a demigod. But objectives like the ones Cities in Motion had are what I missed most from Skylines, so they're quite welcome in A-Train.

A-Train 3D sucked up more of my time than nearly any other game I've ever played. But that doesn't mean the game is without its faults. I just told you about all the things you can tweak to your heart's content in the game, but A-Train has its idiosyncrasies. I never did figure out an effective way to schedule deadhead time, for example, nor did I come up with an efficient way to allow multiple trains to use a single platform on a multi-tracked line without trains running into each other all the time. Other AI issues lead to emergent weirdness, like the time all my streetcars piled up at a railway crossing because the train at the crossing couldn't decide if it had to make an emergency stop or not. Some of these issues feel like they should have a common-sense solution, but the game's various management options don't allow you to do so. I mean, how hard would it be to make your freight trains stop running if there's no cargo to pick up? Why can't you make your passenger trains check to see if another train is leaving the platform you want before trying to unload there and potentially crashing into an oncoming train?

And then there's A-Train's most significant problem: everything takes so much time. Scenarios nearly always progress the same way. First, there's a flurry of building at the beginning as you burn through your cash reserves trying to build the railroad of your dreams. This part's always fun, though it can be a bit intimidating when your ideal rail system doesn't really fit into the parameters of the scenario. Then there's the middle period where you balance building with revenue generation, only starting a few projects or laying short stretches of track while keeping an eye on the cashflow. It's around this time you consider the wisdom of taking out big loans to accelerate your company's growth. Then finally, near the end, you'll have all the pieces in place to achieve the scenario objectives, which means you merely have to wait until you meet the revenue or growth goals. This part is boring as hell, especially when you factor in the end-of-fiscal-year tax calculations that inevitably take a chunk out of your cash reserves and slow down your growth. Loan repayments have a similar chilling effect, compounded by the fact that you have to pay loans off all at once when they're due, instead of paying in installments.

A-Train 3D would be a fantastic 60-hour game, and it's a testament to the quality of its fundamental gameplay that even at over 100 hours, it's still an easy game to recommend if you like transit management sims. I wouldn't necessarily suggest A-Train to, say, the entire Cities: Skylines audience. If you think the word "depreciation" has no place in a video game, steer clear. But if you're like me, A-Train should easily make your list of best games of the year, even with all its warts.

Dryk

Original Post - Part 1
Original Post - Part 2
Game #36: Crimson Shroud: 13.3 hours

Well it wouldn't be a Guild game if it wasn't a bit of a mess I guess. This is an RPG short-story, set entirely inside a single dungeon and framed as a tabletop campaign, with second person narration and figurines for the characters and enemies. There's also a bit of decision making but it's all completely inconsequential, fix that and you nail the style they're gunning for. The combat system is basic but still brings some interesting things to the table, with a combo system that encourages you to use a different type of ability each turn to earn dice which you can spend on bonus power or accuracy for attacks

Now... the bad... there are only a few enemy types in the game. Skeletons, goblins and zombie goblins are the fodder and will be armed with either staves, axes, swords or bows. Then there's about 7 or 8 boss enemies some of which end up mixed into encounters when you replay them. That would be fine if they were used effectively, but one of two events or bosses require you to grind for key item or good weapon drops. To add insult to injury in the last part of the game there's three boss fights in quick succession and the middle one is by far the hardest. I spent a few hours grinding for the equipment to win the fight and by the time I did the final boss had turned into an absolute cakewalk. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game, it was just very trying of my patience at times.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Original post

header.jpg

Game #18 Ninja Blade for PC. Completed story.

Oh what a game where my main thought through out is "you know, it wouldn't take much to make this good" rather than any strength or merit it has on it own. A title whose story is told in such a way that you never care about the people or those living it, neither through sudden swerve of betrayal nor when you come to find hidden secrets for how they acted. Why even those living in a city full of monsters can't seem to care, rather driving their daily commute instead of being more than a back drop and plot devices.

A character action game whose moments of action are often slowed down with Quick Time Events that serve to be neither exciting despite their inspiration of cliché cartoons nor give a sense of grandness they try to create for moments that would be too difficult to program in and guarantee each player experience otherwise.
Yet even if the QTE were not around, it's barebones hack and slash combat where I'm never quite sure if I lacked the desire to do better or the game offered little to provide stylish action a la those it emulates (Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, etc), serves merely as a function to see what creature comes next instead of making me want to get better at it. Slash enemies with one type of weapon, use lackluster move sets and dodging, only care about combos if you really want to, otherwise don't put much thought into it.

On a PC performance level I was left disappointed and wanting. Screen tearing and frame rate drops are things that generally don't bother me in a game, be it Bayonetta on PS3 or something else I often see people chime as "the worst thing ever, I can't play it because it makes my eyes bleed", yet here every cut scene and any attempt to move the camera resulted in annoyance at these aspects. I saw that issues with NVIDIA high ends (for the time of it's release in 2009), but I doubt that would also cause the strange issue of settings never being saved and thus no way to alter anything for the in-game graphic settings.
Despite frame rates and screen tearing, it has an art style I found myself liking even if it was all too common to many other "modern day ninja" or "bio-organic weapons" type games. Perhaps I was just swayed by the city scape and a ninja whose colour scheme I could customise how I wanted.

For no other reason than simply to see what comes next and a curiosity if it could ever improve did I finish this game's story. Just a half hour removed from it and I can tell you little that made it good other than the game worked on a basic level in all aspects, but it wasn't all that bad if I never really felt frustrated or annoyed. Did I have fun? No, I can't say that, but rather I did not mind spending the time on it while I waited on other things to complete.

I wonder if I would have beaten the game had it not been for this 52 games in a year challenge? I'm not so sure.

GLuigi

Game #22: Final Fantasy V (PS1) - 37 Hours

This game has my favorite Final Fantasy job system so far. Being able to level up jobs and be able to carry skills over to the next job you switch to made it really fun to play around with. I also appreciate getting all the jobs pretty early in the game, it gives enough time to find out which jobs feels right. This also allows you to be flexible and be able to use a numerous amount of different strategies you can use against bosses. Because of this, I will definitely want to play through the game again using classes I haven't used in my first play through and see how that goes.

I do recommend playing different port of this game if you can. A few times the game would freeze randomly during scenes. Although you can get it to keep the game running easily, but its just an annoyance that seems to happen on the version thats on PSN. Anyways, im kind of sad that my journey with this game is over, but I really enjoyed every minute of it.

Right Now: Very close to finishing RE: Revelations 2, just waiting to get my last final over with before I finish it.

Original Post

Ok so I keep forgetting to do this but here goes, I am very close now so I will just update this post, date is when I completed it. Completion depends on how it can be done, mainly its just "story/campaign completed" but if a story doesn't have that then its probably got all the achievements or some other way of doing it.

Game 1: Lords of the Fallen (Xbox One) 01/01/15
I enjoyed this a lot, not played a Soul-y type game before but I put a lot of time into it and had a good time.

Game 2: Funk of Titans (Xbox One) 05/01/15
A fun game if not quite simple

Game 3: Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments (Xbox One) 10/01/15
I absolutely loved this, was very surprised by it and couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it

Game 4: Game of Thrones: Episode 1 (Xbox One) 17/01/15
Really enjoyed it, great start and can't wait for more.

Game 5: Riptide GP2 (Xbox One) 24/01/15
Fun and cheap racing game, I wish it had online multiplayer though.

Game 6: Unmechanical Extended Edition (Xbox One) 30/01/15
An enjoyable little puzzle game, was surprised by it

Game 7: Dragon Age Inquisition (Xbox One) 07/02/15
An epic game, took me a bloody long time, not worthy of GOTY awards but still very good anyway,

Game 8: Game of Thrones: Episode 2 (Xbox One) 08/02/15
More GoT, enjoyable, progressing the story well

Game 9: Gone Home (PC) 09/02/15
Enjoyed this

Game 10: Blue Estate (Xbox One) 10/02/15
It was ok, surprised at how good the Kinect controls were actually

Game 11: Crimson Dragon (Xbox One) 10/02/15
Its alright, a bit frustrating at how much they wasted its potential

Game 12: Halo 2 Anniversary (Xbox One) 13/02/15
The worst Halo game campaign by far, there is a very high bar but the Arbiter stuff is horrible

Game 13: Limbo (Xbox One) 14/02/15
Enjoyed this a lot

Game 14: The Order 1886 (Playstation 4) 23/02/15
Strange game. Very flawed, disappointed that it had so much potential and it was squandered, I hope RAD learn a lot from it and make a much better game next time.

Game 15: Hand of Fate (Xbox One) 24/02/15
Enjoyed this but the end is unbalanced and pretty bad

Game 16: Costume Quest 2 (Xbox One) 26/02/15
It was ok, not great.

Game 17: Transistor (Playstation 4) 28/02/15
Enjoyed this a ton, great game.

Game 18: Pneuma Breath of Life (Xbox One) 28/02/15
Fun puzzle game, I did better at it than I thought I would.

Game 19: Infamous Second Son (Playstation 4) 03/03/15
Liked it quite a bit

Game: 20 Mad Games Tycoon (PC) 10/03/15
Playing this a lot, its in early access and good but they have a lot to do to make it great.

Game 21: Killzone Shadow Fall (Playstation 4) 13/03/15
It has some mildly ok moments but then falls off a cliff and is really disappointing.

Game 22: LA Cops (Xbox One) 15/03/15
I enjoyed it, not serious but very fun.

Game 23: Ori and the Blind Forest (Xbox One) 18/03/15
Loved it, probably going to be my GOTY.

Game 24: Counterspy (Playstation 4) 21/03/15
I really liked it, pretty cool game.

Game 25: Dead Nation Apocalypse Edition (Playstation 4) 22/03/15
Enjoyed this too

Game 26: Forza Horizon 2 Presents Fast & Furious (Xbox One) 28/03/15
Great Forza spin-off promotion free thing,

Game 27: Game of Thrones Episode 3 (Xbox One) 31/03/15
More GoT, still great, Telltale doing good work.

Game 28: Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Xbox One) 31/03/15
Hated it.

Game 29: Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams Directors Cut (Xbox One) 01/04/15
Its ok, boss battles are terrible.

Game 30: Dark Dreams Don&#8217;t Die [D4] (Xbox One) 03/04/15
Hated it.

Game 31: The Walking Dead Season 1 (Xbox One) 05/04/15
Great game

Game 32: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Playstation 4) 06/04/15
Played it before on Xbox One but got it cheap in a PSN sale, mechanics are great, can't wait for TPP

Game 33: Banished (PC) 16/04/15
Great game (got all the achievements = completion)

Game 34: Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One) 17/04/15
It baffles me how over 50m people bought it and how much I disliked it. People/vehicles control horrible, terrible script.

Game 35: State of Decay Year One Survival Edition (Xbox One) 20/04/15
Still not technically perfect but a great game so I can forgive it.

Game 36: State of Decay Year One Survival Lifeline (Xbox One) 22/04/15
As per above

Game 37: Shovel Knight (Xbox One) 26/04/15
A great game, the Battletoads stuff is awesome too.

Game 38: The Last of Us Remastered (Playstation 4) 30/04/15
Played it on PS3 but its a great game

Game 39: The Last of Us Remastered Left Behind (Playstation 4) 30/04/15
Finished the DLC for the first time, was pretty good.

Game 40: Shadow Warrior (Playstation 4) 07/05/15
Disliked it a lot. Looks crap, runs crap, not fun to play, disappointing.

Game 41: The Walking Dead Season 2 (Xbox One) 09/05/15
Great (again), runs pretty poorly though.

Game 42: Assassins Creed Chronicles China (Xbox One) 10/05/15
Was surprised at how much I liked this, most creative thing to come out of the Assassins Creed franchise since Brotherhood

Game 43: State of Decay Year One Survival Breakdown (Xbox One) 11/05/15
As above, Breakdown gets hard!

Game 44: Flockers (Xbox One) 14/05/15
Was pleasantly surprised by it, fun game

Game 45: Wolfenstein The Old Blood (Xbox One) 16/05/15
Loved it, although the last couple of acts aren't as good as the stuff before it.

Game 46: Retro City Rampage DX (PC) 17/05/15
Didn't really like, controls are crap, even if that was kind of deliberate, I didn't like it. Easter Eggs: The game with not much else to it

Game 47: Lifeless Planet: Premier Edition (Xbox One) 19/05/15
Really enjoyed it, Interstellar: The Game (well, the bits on the planet anyway)

Game 48: Screamride (Xbox One) 19/05/15
I liked it, last few levels are overly frustrating and not fun but the rest is great.

Game 49: Life is Strange Episode 1 (Xbox One) 20/05/15
Didn't really like it, won't be buying the seasons pass.

Game 50: Kalimba (Xbox One) 21/05/15
Great little game, the level design is superb especially the latter levels where they get harder without throwing cheap mechanics at the player

Game 51: Rayman Legends (Xbox One) 23/05/15
It enjoyed it although I think its a bit overhyped

Game 52: Tales From the Borderlands Episode 1(Xbox One) 24/05/15
Not played the other Borderlands games but quite enjoyed this. The presentation and style is incredible, definitely Telltale's best work.

daveo42

Banned
Game 15: Life is Strange - Chapter 3: Update - 3h 15min | Started: 5/20/15 - Completed: 5/20/15
This game continues to surprise me with its narrative. The time stuff and how it's been implemented into the story and puzzles has actually be pretty good so far, with a few genuine shocking moments. Especially with this episode and how things left off. The wait for episode 4 is real.

Initial Post Here

Dryk

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Part 4

Game #37: Kirby and the Rainbow PaintbrushCurse. (Fuck you NoE): 20.2 hours
100% completion baby! At the beginning I thought I wouldn't bother unlocking and completing the challenges that required beating each boss with no damage. But challenge rooms and redoing those bosses proved a nice distraction from the main levels on the occasion that they were becoming a pain, or if I missed a collectible in a long one. A handful of the challenge rooms were straight up copy pasted between sets though which was a little weird.

It's really unfortunate that such a pretty game can't be played on a TV. But at the same time I doubt you'd be able to get the same amount of accuracy even with a cursor. What this game is really crying out for is a better Gamepad screen.

Oh and one more thing. The worlds are Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo... and Purple. PURPLE?!?! I hope one day someone asks the localisation team what happened there.

Game #38: Snapshot: 14.5 hours (Added 29/05/2015)
Neat puzzle platformer. The gimmick is being able to take photos of boxes/creatures/fireballs etc to remove them from the level and then deposit them somewhere else. Since you can rotate the photos and they conserve momentum it's a mechanic that lends itself to a lot of variety. The capturable elements mostly stay contained within their own world, or set of levels (the game is structured so that there are 9 courses of 3 levels in each of the 4 worlds) but they're used pretty well. The soundtrack's nice too. I wouldn't say it would be amazing enough to pull anyone out of a puzzle platformer funk but it's a good time.

Game #39: Wolfenstein 3D: 12.4 hours (Added 06/06/2015)
At first I didn't like this at all. But eventually I got used to the controls and the wild damage variation and I ended up really enjoying it. It holds up pretty well, but Doom still holds up better.

Game #40: Code Name S.T.E.A.M.: 30.9 hours (Added 07/06/2015)
I'm left wondering how history will remember this game. It's really good, but two design decisions have turned a lot of people off (and the one that's a fair criticism has already been fixed). That and the graphics, but I think that was overblown too because they fit the setting and hardware really well.

Lots of options going into a level, which is great. Some enemies are a giant pain in the arse but there's usually strategies that can kill them easily. Also I restarted missions a lot once I'd seen the layout of the level and I could pick a better set of units. Unit balance is pretty good, a few people are pretty situational but they're all interesting except for one that's just awful.

Game #41: Splatoon: 14.9 hours (Added 08/06/2015)
I'm going to get this out of the way first. In the end what made me decide to put down the game for now was me getting fucking sick of the online ecosystem. Today was a public holiday in Australia so I got experience the laggy arse global matchmaking system in all its glory. I also had a string of Splat Zone team problems where I would be stuck with the one useless player and the other team would get the guy capable of winning a match by himself 9/10 times and the lag didn't help. I'm sick of it, I'll come back to it later. Nintendo you disabled voice-chat to improve the online experience but the online experience is still shit. I also wish you'd add signal strength indicators to your online games so I can tell if it's my connection or not. Ugh.

Now that the rant's out of the way, what did I think of Splatoon? It's great. Music's great, sound effects are great, the weapons all feel satisfying to use. Single-player is pretty unique, the final boss is amazing. The game has charm out the wazoo, making you want to spend time in the hub even though you don't need to. It definitely has it's problems though. My biggest gripe would be that changing your loadout or accessing the options menu can only be done from the main hub for no reason, meaning you have to leave your lobby or the single-player to change anything. Another problem I have (that's partially on me) is the controls. The sensitivities are different for each axis with no way to change it which should be fixed, but I also can't quite get to grips with the motion controls, which are really necessary to compete. I'm often finding myself trying to use the sticks to aim when motion would suffice but I have to stand still to focus on aiming to be able to get my hands to use them. That one's on me though.

Looking forward to jumping back in in a few weeks or something. Hopefully the online is still healthy enough that my gripes haven't gotten even worse in my absence.

15/06/2015 UPDATE: Turns out that a new map came out right after I gave up and drew me right back in. I'm still playing Splatoon daily and actually getting okay at it now.

Game #42: D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die: 4.4 hours (Added 15/06/2015)
Swery's style is really interesting to me. D4 is in many regards a better game than Deadly Premonition, however I think that's to its detriment. It's still a very quirky, surreal and enjoyable experience. But I feel like Deadly Premonition's odd jankiness contributed a lot to that atmosphere, so having a more mechanically basic game that actually functions correctly means that D4 loses that. Swery incorporates another element of Twin Peaks (the giant) into this game in an amazingly creepy way, and sprinkles in a bit of Wild Card virus for good measure. Keep up the good work you crazy bastard, David Cage should really be taking notes.

Game #43: Age of Empires III: Complete Collection: 39.9 hours
header.jpg

I initially had to try hard to not keep comparing it to AoE II, it's a very different game and that's okay. But boy did not having resource drop-offs throw me for quite a while. It's definitely it's own thing (and closer to Age of Mythology if comparisons have to be drawn) but it has a lot of interesting mechanics going for it.

So what's new? Well instead of the history spanning empires of the previous 3 games AoE III is more focused, with you taking control of a colony in the new world. To this end you gain experience and each level you can chose a bonus to be sent to you from your home empire, from resources, to extra troops or permanent bonuses. This means that if you get into a big enough fight you can play all of your trump cards and spawn a new army very quickly. The binary choice system when aging up from Age of Mythology reappears in a reduced form, with each age change giving you a choice between two one-time bonuses (usually resources or units) that are granted to you when the research completes.

In addition to this the game features native incampments, where you can build a trading post to gain access to new units, and trade routes where a trading post will bring you periodic resource or experience bonuses. The trade routes are especially interesting because if you invest in upgrading them the enemy can benefit if they have a trading post elsewhere on the trade route.

One thing that didn't really work for me is the story. The campaign spans 3 generations of the fictional Black family as they try to defend the fountain of youth from an ancient cult. It touches on some American history but it's mostly a fictional story instead of the fictionalised versions of real events found in the previous games. Luckily this is corrected in the expansions, with the campaign from The War Chiefs focusing on the character in Act III of the base campaign's father and son as they get involved in the Revolutionary and Sioux Wars respectively. Then Asian Dynasties has three short campaigns with two focusing on the rise of the Tokugawa Shogunate and the Indian Revolution, the Chinese campaign is weaker as it's a fictional story about a Chinese treasure ship sailing to the New World.

Civilisations are much more diverse than AoE II (though that's not hard), the Asian civilisations from the second expansion in particular have a lot of quirks. The Japanese can't hunt, the Chinese can only build preset groups of units and the Indian villagers are made of wood. They also build special buildings that grant them permanent buffs in order to age up.

So yeah overall I had a lot of fun exploring this unfairly maligned entry in the franchise, even if it has its downsides and there are better RTS from its era.

Game #44: Yoshi's Woolly World: 27.4 hours
I haven't played Yoshi's Island or Yoshi's Story in a long, long time. I never played any of the handheld Yoshi sequels, but I read a little bit about why people don't like them. That said, this feels like the Yoshi's Island sequel everyone's been waiting for. It doesn't do a whole lot new, but it does old very well.

As is standard for modern Nintendo platformers this is easy to get through and the challenge is in finding the trinkets. There are four side objectives to complete per level and three of them are meaningful with wool getting you new skins, flowers unlocking the special stages and stamp coins unlocking new stamps for Miiverse. The special stages are like Tropical Freeze's in that there's a noticeable jump in difficulty and a focus on moving forward at all times, which is a welcome change of pace from the rest of the game.

Really (assuming you enjoy Yoshi's Island style gameplay) you get out of Woolly World what you put into it. There's Mellow Mode which gives you the ability to fly, and badges you can pay for that do everything from making you immune to bottomless pits to revealing where all the secrets are. But if you want to play this game old-school there's a lot to do and it's very enjoyable. I almost cracked 30 hours and I didn't even get to 100% completion, I didn't bother with finishing every level with full health, nor did I manage to defeat the last fight in the boss tent. I also went through the pick up the one or two things I'd missed with the secret revealing power up on my second/third runs through levels.

Game #45: BRAINPIPE: A Plunge to Unhumanity: 0.5 hours
Threw this on to kill time before bed because I saw that it was super short. Probably a bad idea. Concept is pretty simple, fly through a twisting psychedelic tube dodging obstacles while weird music and sound effects play. Repeat for 10 levels. Worthwhile audio-visual experience if you see it on sale for 99 cents.

Game #46: Alien Spidy: 3.6 hours (~30% completion)
*sigh* What a shit show. It's taken this long but a game I've played for the challenge has finally beaten me.

So I've been scrolling past this game in my Steam library for years and it's always caught my eye. The main character seemed cute, I liked the name, so I figured lets finally give it a go. The gameplay turned out to be failure on almost every level, but there's still a glimmer of potential here, so where do I even begin.

Alien Spidy is a platformer in the vein of Super Meat Boy, it has decent music and cute graphics so that's a plus I guess. You control an alien called Spidy and try to move from one end of the level to the other while collecting point orbs. Your abilities consist of moving, jumping and a web swing, and that's where a long chain of "this would be okay, but..." problems begin.

The game controls badly. You lack air control in a game that sorely needs it, walking over the slightest bump in the ground is enough to make you count as being in the air and not be able to jump and it's all around floaty and unresponsive. This would be okay, but the game is set up as a precision platformer. With the controls as they stand it just isn't that satisfying to play, which brings me to the web swinging. The game doesn't give you any tools to help you plan your swings, you have to be able to judge when and where to shoot a web to get the exact arc you want. This would be okay, but the game is structured around collecting series of score orbs.

This would be okay, but the scoring system makes collecting individual orbs next to worthless. Orbs combo with scores of 5, 11, 19, 29, 42 (+ bonus 5000), 59 etc, and the combo resets after less than a second, making anything other than sets of 5 completely worthless. This would be okay, but the game forces you to care about your score. Each world starts with every level but a handful unlocked. Secret levels require a 4-star rating on a certain level to unlock and the last level, completion of which unlocks the next world, requires an average of about 2.5 stars across the rest of the levels.

This might be okay, but the game actively tries to prevent you from being able to achieve a good score. Even though gaining points is really, really hard. When you die or otherwise return to a checkpoint you lose 1500 points. On top of this you lose points at a constant rate of 100/second no matter what you do, and then the game tells you the exact breakdown at the end leaving you to cry over a base score that would've unlocked new levels bled away by delays. On top of this, when you die or otherwise return to a checkpoint the level many obstacles do not reset. Enemies or obstacles that move back and forth stay moving during the respawn animation, meaning that the timing in each life is often inconsistent.

The game has native 360 controller support, as it debuted on the XBLA, but since there's no reticule and you need to be able to make precise web shots it's almost impossible to play with a controller. Even with the mouse it can be a crap-shoot as the cursor is very thin and a light blue colour that blends into the sky on all of the daytime levels (about half) when the background is scrolling.

The game is also very buggy. I had to limit it to 60fps because it would glitch out and get stuck in a repeating twitch animation preventing me from shooting my web otherwise. Occasionally the game would lag, not run at a low frame-rate, actually lag. I would shoot a web, nothing would happen and I would fall to my death, then halfway through the death animation the web would appear and I would snap up to it.

So despite all this. I spent a good 3 hours with the game (the first .5 was tinkering with the framerate to get it working). I made it through the first world and a good 10% of the way into the second. Through the game forcing me to repeat the levels over and over and over I saw glimpses of potential. When you pull off a web swing properly through memorisation and fly through a line of orbs it does feel good. I figured I could see this through to the glitchy, uneven end. The second world had introduced a number of interesting new mechanics and I was keen to see what the third and final world had in store.

And then tonight I loaded the game up and it had deleted my save.

Upon checking the forums I discovered that this is a widely reported issue that the developers have never commented on. Then I immediately came here to type up this report. The reviewers were right on this one, it's not worth the glimpses of something good through all the shit, stay away.

Game #47: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl: 29.2 hours

Whoever told me this game was open world was sort of lying. Whoever told me this game was awesome was not. The first few areas feel like an open world but as the game goes on it starts to feel more like early Crysis wide corridors.The atmosphere is amazing, the entire way through the game you know that death is just around the corner and it gives the whole thing this wonderful sense of foreboding. But you still feel like you're a lot stronger by the end, at the beginning you have a double-barrelled shotgun and a pistol that can't hit anything for shit so a lone military soldier or a pack of wild dogs might be your downfall. By the end you've gone powered armour, regenerating health and rifles that can hit someone in the head from twenty paces but a few powerful soldiers will still tear you to shreds if you're not careful.

Buggy though. The alerted state of the AI can also carry over when you load a previous save SOMEHOW which screws with a few missions. Also you can tell that this game had a long and difficult development cycle, the subtitles often don't match the dialogue and the quest descriptions are very off sometimes. There's a lot of talk of sneaking into bases in the objectives but enemies are too perceptive for true stealth to be viable in any of those instances. You're better off making some noise and then sneaking to a different spot and killing the enemies while they're trying to flush you out of where they think you are.

Overall, great experience, looking forward to playing the others at some point.

Game #48: The Cave: 8 hours
I quite enjoyed a lot of my time with this game, but having to play it three times to see every section of the game was a giant pain in the arse. Luckily once you know what to do you can breeze through all of the repeated content but there's so much of it. I really liked the art-style and sound design though too.

Game #49: Boot Hill Heroes: 16.1 hours
Great game, got good review from RPG sites, has an 89% positive on Steam. Nobody fucking bought it (it's at about 4000 on SteamSpy). Hell the only reason I have it is because I Kickstarted it after seeing Youtubers I like plug it.

Boot Hill Heroes was basically pitched at Earthbound in the Wild West, and it more or less succeeds at that. The art-style and sensibility is very Earthbound, the graphics are basic but serviceable. The soundtrack balances the Earthbound, Wild West and SNES styles required of it very well, but it's Jake Kaufman so I'd expect no less.

I think its humour lacks a little something that Earthbound had. But the battle intro and outro text was always a joy to read for the first time (like a group of 6 geckos that think they can overpower you but start squabbling and pointing fingers at each other when they lose). That's easily compensated for by how much thought has gone into both the combat system and quality-of-life though.

Combat is a fast and engaging ATB system where you can always see when your opponent's next action is about to occur and cancel your attacks at any time. By judging the strength/nature of attacks based on how many action points your opponent is trying to spend you can time actions to sit back and save action points to take advantage of gaps in your opponent's defenses or to shore up your own when a big attack is coming. In addition when all 4 party members have selected an action the battle speed increases by 2-3x until the next action occurs. On the other end you can pause the action if you're feeling overwhelmed trying to control 4 people at once. Also worth mentioning is that one of your equipment slots is hats, which do not affect your stats but slowly teach you new abilities (of which 4 can be equipped for battle at a time) ala the Final Fantasy job system.

The game includes up to 4-player co-op as well and a lot of polish has gone into it despite the developer's insistence that it's tacked on. I played the whole thing with my girlfriend and despite some trouble in the first 6-10 hours with party members leaving and returning all the time preventing us from easily delegating roles it all functions really well. From the pause menu you can assign each party member to different controllers/the keyboard at any time, and while the lead character (which you can cycle through with Select) is walking the party around other players are free to mess around in their equipment and ability menus.

Also worth mentioning is that the game was split into three parts during development and the second part (since rechristened Boot Hill Heroes 2 is not out yet), so the story is very introductory at this point and ends without much closure.

This game was never going to light the world on fire, but it's a solid effort that has a lot of little touches I don't see very often. It's definitely worth giving a go if you like old-school JRPGs.

Game #50: Rocket League: 13.2 hours

I probably don't need to describe Rocket League, everyone already knows what it is. Features are barebones except for the wealth of customisation options but that really just makes the game clean, pure fun. I'm not great at it, and I got burnt out trying to unlock everything but once my funk wears off I can see myself dipping into it often for a few rounds.

Game #51: Chantelise: A Tale of Two Sisters: 12.1 hours
I wanted to drop this at first. It felt clunky and weird, it was a little confusing and the difficulty spike at the first boss felt insane.

It turns out I was approaching the game all wrong, it is a very clunky hack and slash but it's not as unfair as it first felt. It's a little grindy, and expects you to play each of the 5 levels multiple times before you beat it. This is counteracted by the exit to each part of the level unlocking when you kill everything in the room and then staying unlocked for subsequent attempts letting you just run straight to the boss.

The dodge move has horrendous start and end lag and a bad button combination (jump + attack) but in the end I learnt to live without it. The lack of attack options kind of sucks (3 hit combo + magic) but the magic system makes up for it. When you hit enemies they have a chance to drop elemental gems, you can hold six and they are consumed in reverse pick up order (starting at one and upgradable to a maximum of 4) to change the resulting spell or add modifiers to it.

Not a great game, not even really a good game, but strangely enjoyable and compelling.

Game #52: Picross e6: 25.2 hours
More Picross! If you didn't like the other Picross e games you won't like this because little has changed. The most notable change is that all of the 5x5, 10x10 and 15x15 puzzles are duplicated between the Picross and Mega Picross modes. It's nice to have both variations available but at the same time having to go through each puzzle twice kind of sucks.

jnWake

Main Post

Game #17. Donkey Kong Country (SNES VC)
- Time played: 05:18 hours.
- Completion reached: 101%!

Ah, DKC. It doesn't get much more iconic and nostalgic than this. I actually owned this game back in 1994/5 when it released, so it brings back many fond memories.

I don't really think I should explain the gameplay for this one, but it's essentially a traditional platformer with some interesting innovative (in its time of course) mechanics. One of these mechanics is the fact that you played as two Kongs and could switch liberally between them. Kongs act as health in a way since they are defeated in one hit, which makes the game very challengnig. Other cool mechanic is the animal buddies, which are like the Yoshi of this game, but more varied.

Anyway, this game is pretty good. Controls are mostly very precise, level design is very creative and the graphics are quite good, even considering the game's age. I'd say it's the worst of the original DKC trilogy since the sequels remove almost every rough edge of this game, but it's still a must play for platforming fans. If forced to complain about something, I'd say some of the bonus rooms are hidden in places so obscure that they feel impossible to find without a guide.

Games 1 - 18 (updated)

18. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (PS4) - 20th May - approx 12-14 hours
My first time playing this and I really enjoyed it. I love the classic TR games but I understand that they probably wouldn't be particularly successful in today's market. I really enjoyed the structure of this game, with its Metroid-lite aspects when you pick up new gear and you can return to explore previous areas. I like the upgrade system, the auto-cover system is one of the best in the genre and the visuals are superb despite it being cross-gen. I didn't particularly care for the plot or characters, there was too much combat and too many QTE segements and I found the optional tombs insultingly easy. I wish there was a little more emphasis on puzzling and I felt like it got a bit repetitive with every structure she steps inside collapsing or blowing up, but on the whole I thought this was a solid reboot which felt a lot like Naughty Dog's Greatest Hits. I believe the next game is going to have a more open gameworld and more emphasis on survival, so I''l be looking forward to hearing more about that at E3. 8/10

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game #11
A Wolf Among Us Episode 2
Steam,

I played episode 1 some time last year, but it is one of the games that is enjoyable laying in my rack on my tablet so I picked it back up.

Game #12
Senran Kagura: Bon Apetit
PSV

Rhythm game with boobies. Not much to it, very lackluster soundtrack for a game of this genre.

Kifimbo

It's been a while.

header.jpg

Game 20: Evoland (PC) - 4.5 hours
Great concept: exploring the history of gaming (especially RPGs like Final Fantasy, Diablo and Zelda) with the graphics/sound/mechanics evolving as the game progressed. Execution could have been better, but Evoland is still a good little title that doesn't overstay its welcome. However, the 3D section is probably too short, maybe because the creators realized the control were quite poor. Also needed more depth, especially battles where characters only have one move. If you weren't around during the 8-bit/16-bit/PSX-N64 era, the nostalgia factor will likely be non-existant.

header.jpg

Game 21: Freedom Planet (PC) - 7.2 hours
Sonic + Mega Man with the indie touch of something like Cave Story. I was never a big fan of the Sonic franchise, so I didn't really fall in love with Freedom Planet, but there is a lot to love here. It's a fun game. Most impressive thing is the length of the level for such a fast paced game. There are also a lot of secrets. Visually nice and varied, but sometimes there is just too much colors and details. I didn't really care for the story. Controls are great. My main grip with the game is that you don't really unlock new skills, so you are always doing the same attacks unless tou change characters. Still, the designers included enough variety to entertain you for a full playthrough. I might come back eventually to complete the game with another character. Freedom Planet is a really good game, maybe a bit pricey.

header.jpg

Game 22: Magic The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 (PC) - 11.8 hours
Played Magic quite a bit in my high school days. I also played the first Duels of the Planeswalkers game on Xbox 360 about five years ago. Finally decided to play the 2012 version that I bought in a bundle a while ago. It's still a streamlined edition of Magic The Gathering. New decks, new campaign, but otherwise they isn't a lot of new features. Biggest addition is the Archenemy mode, which is basically 3 vs. 1, where the "boss" has a huge advantage each turn. This mode has a huge problem: each turn takes way too long, especially if you are the boss. Excruciating. I had fun coming back to this great card game, but the limited amount of decks and cards made me stop playing after 10-12 hours. Interface is still problematic, especially in a post-Hearthstone world. No real upgrade visually.

header.jpg

Game 23: Bejeweled 3 (PC) - 14.8 hours
Wanted to play a casual game, a bundle with Bejeweled 3 was launched, so why not. I must say I was hooked for a weekend. The match-3 formula is still addictive. A lot of modes, most of them are quite interesting. The worst ones are the ones where the background is filled with stuff, like the Ice Storm mode. Still, just a well-made casual game with no bullshit that is epidemic nowadays. The "Overwhelmingly Positive reviews" are well deserved.

Original Post

header.jpg

Game 24: Castlestorm (PC) - 7.2 hours
Castlestorm is a mix of castle defence, Angry Birds and RTS. You have tro protect you're castle from attackers, either with using projectiles or by spawning troops with different skills. You can also put you hero on the "battlefield" for 30 seconds. In all cases, you "ressources" are limited. In about half the mission, you also have to destroy the enemy castle using your projectiles, Angry Birds-style. Everything works quite well, but there is nothing remarkable about Castlestorm. The humor is pretty bad IMO. Worth playing the campaign once, but there is little reason to come back.

mEWRMT6.png

Game 25: Mario Golf: World Tour (3DS) - X hours
Mario Golf 64 was one of my favorite game of the N64 era, Bought this new one a few months ago before when Target Canada slashed its price before it closed its doors. It's still a fun game, and there are a lot of modes and stuff to do. However, I can't say World Tour will have any lasting impact. Formula hasn't really evolve, therefore the game doesn't have any excting factor. ÉI also don't think the golf courses weren't as creative as I remember the ones from Mario Golf 64. I still enjoyed my time and I don't regret my purchase, but I also think Nintendo should move on from Mario games (unlike Mario Kart, which somehow stays fresh).

header.jpg

Game 26: Batman: Arkham Origins (PC) - 23 hours
I played the first two games on Xbox 360/PS3. So this one is automatically a big step up visually. However, Arkham Origins is a prequel with very few new features. Which means the game is good, but it's also just more of the same. Gameplay-wise and design-wise, Asylum remains my favorite. I have to admit the story in Origins is probably the best one. And the boss fights are also really good for the most part. I didn't bother with the post-game stuff (challenges, Enigma quest) simply because of series fatigue.

Game #11:

200px-Megaman6_box.jpg

Platform: NES
Duration: 1:50 on 5/15/15
Thoughts: Completed the game as part of Mega May. Mega Man 6 decided to switch things up a bit. Level design included branching off paths and the Rush dog to be operated as an armor instead of a canine bot. It was different but pretty cool nonetheless. I think it was a great entry to bow off from the NES platform.

52 games main post.

latest

Game #25 - Breath of Fire 4 - 5/16/15 (25 hours)
This is one of 2 games in the series that I believe deserve a sequel. The main "villain" you end up fighting at the end doesn't even feel like a true bad guy when compared to Yuna, which he ends up getting away at the end and making it clear that he's not done causing trouble. The ending legitimately makes you mad knowing that you can't even kill the real antagonist. Outside of the cliffhanger ending, the rest of the game is done really well other than all the minigames which get annoying after the first few. It's really a shame that we will never get another non half assed entry to the series past 5.

final_fantasy_xiv__a_realm_reborn___steam_grid_by_superjoeuk-d6kp8dh.png

Game #26 - Final Fantasy XIV: Realm Reborn - 5/17/15 (100+ hours)
I am only putting this on my list because the end of the 2.0 series of patches has the ending to the base game. Been playing this quite a bit since launch and have enjoyed it, even if it's a lot like WoW, which I have given up on for the time being. Been through all the content the game has to offer thus far (other than savage mode) and will continue with Heavensward. The music is incredible and while the story/characters may be hit or miss, the ending actually felt like it had some value to it and was worth the lead up to it.

ffleg3.jpg

Game #27 - Final Fantasy Legend 3/SaGa 3 - 5/22/15 (11 hours)
I enjoyed the hell out of this as a kid and it's been years since I went through it last. I remember Chaos being the brick wall that used to take me forever to get past...then I learned about elixers on this run so I wouldn't go into the fight with sub 200 mana on everyone. Elixers trivialized most bosses I used to have issues on at the end of long dungeons. My only real complaints were that xp gains seemed far too low at the end of the game and you had to actually equip armor to see if it was better or not.

Post update

Dr. Buni

Original post

Game #31: Child of Light

Zg3UcvB.png

Similar to Ori and the Blind Forest, Child of Light is a magical, one-of-a-kind game. Ori tells the beautiful story of maternal bon, while Child of Light tells a beautiful and touching fairy tale, that is in no way lacking if compared to the famous Walt Disney fairy tales. Now, I am not trying to compare Ori and Child of Light here, the only reason I mentioned Ori is because it is another game I finished not too long ago and as Child of Light, it was a touching game for me.

Child of Light tells the story of Aurora, a little girl who dies right in the introduction of the game and then finds herself in a totally different place, the kingdom of Lemuria. As beautiful as said place, Lemuria, is, all Aurora really wanted is to go back to her home to be with her loved father again. And we follow her journey back home during the events of the game. The story is quite simple as usual, there are a few plot twists here and there, some really obvious, others not as much. That said, I think the story was great. It left me satisfied. If there is one thing I didn't like that much, was how rushed the final part of the game was. Although I think Child of Light has a nice duration and doesn't overstay its welcome (it lasts for ~10 hours), perhaps the developer could have added 1 or 2 extra hours so the final chapter would get a little bit more of development? Still, it is just a little detail and it didn't hurt my enjoyment with the game.

The characters in Child of Light are really nice. Fitting for a fairy tale-esque game, the characters have weird designs and quirks as well as peculiar ways of communicating with others. For those who like a diverse cast of characters, Child of Light surely delivers. The protagonist, Aurora, is quite charismatic and lovable. I can't say one bad thing about her. And, the game's villains aren't bad either, especially Nox (warning: do not google her name if you don't want a huge spoiler).

The soundtrack is beautiful and the songs add a lot to the fairy tale atmosphere of the game. It uses that scheme of soothing songs during exploration and epic songs during general battles and bosses. I like this song a lot, in particular, which plays during a few boss battles. Speaking of bosses, the game has a LOT of bosses, so if you aren't into boss battles, avoid Child of Light. I personally love bosses, so I had a great time.

The game looks stunning. As with the soundtrack, the visuals add a lot to the feel of the game. In short, I loved Child of Light. I really want more experiences like this one, but I am unsure if there is a need for a Child of Light 2. The story feels... concluded to me. Perhaps a different story set in the same world? Or perhaps
a Child of Darkness, featuring a descendant of Queem Umbra? Why not?
That said, Aurora is such a great character, that a new game in the Child of Light universe without her as the main character wouldn't be the same.

Dr. Buni

Original post

Game #32 (May 18, 2015): WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$!

BfLz9Jj.png

Quite the short game, I finished it in like ~2 hours. For those who don't know the series, the WarioWare games consist of various micro games bundled in a bigger game. Micro games, as the name implies, are really short and basic, but varied, games. In WarioWare games you have to 'finish' a certain number of games in a sequence and with a limited time, which gets shorter as you progress. The micro games are grouped in categories (like sci-fi, Nintendo themed, etc) and each category is represented by a character (like Ashley, Mona, Wario himself, etc). The character don't have any actual functions in the game, which is a shame because they have neat designs. In short, fun game, but I like the GBA WarioWare a lot more.

Game #33 (May 22, 2015): Life is Strange Ep. 2 - "Out of Time"

z2Lgkvy.png

I will keep counting each Life is Strange episode as a different entry, since it's what a few other users are doing here and also because each episode is ~3 hours long (at least) and they are released with a space of more than a month between each.

Anyways, this episode wasn't as good as the first one, but at the same time it was far more intense
with Kate's suicide (which I couldn't prevent and I have no intention of replaying the whole episode to try and save her... What is done, is done), the collateral effects of Max's powers intensifying both physically (with nasal bleeding, constant headaches) and in the nature (first the random snow and now a random eclipse?). Besides that, there still is the mystery of Rachel and I still don't know much about Victoria.
On a more personal note,
I regret not giving Warren more attention in these two first episodes. He is proving to be a kind and nice person, as opposed to Chloe... Who I really can't bring myself to like. She is rude and keeps forcing Max to do stuff she doesn't want to. I don't like people like that.

On and considering that
Kate might commit or not suicide depending of your actions
, it seems like the story of the game truly changes considerably depending of your choices, unlike in Telltale's The Walking Dead series. I really like that and if the story doesn't disappoint in the next 3 episodes, Life is Strange might become my new favorite "interactive game".

I've continually forgotten to update this thread with progress so as a result I've had to go back and try and note some opinions, hopefully from now on I can keep my post here updated as well as post more detailed impressions.

1. Shadowrun Dragonfall
Really surprised by this, I did enjoy the original Deadmans Switch campaign despite it's problems but Dragonfall is better in every single way and you can tell that Harebrained Schemes really learned from their experience developing Deadmans Switch and in doing so delivered a great game with some fantastic writing and characters. Really excited to play Shadowrun Hong Kong later this year and see what Harebrained Schemes have learned from Dragonfall.

2. Middle Earth Shadows of Mordor
I really enjoyed me time with this game, I think the game has it's issues fair share of annoying problems, however I'm able to overlook these problems due to the nemesis system.The nemesis system is an absolute joy to mess with and makes the otherwise flat and uninteresting world feel really alive. Monolith deserves all the praise they received for getting this system working and I look forward to seeing what they do to
improve on it in the future.

3. Ratchet and Clank HD
Didn't really enjoy this , the various problems this game had when it first released have only become worse with time. I'm glad that it's out of the way so I can move onto the rest of the games in the series.

4. Call of Duty: World at War
For some reason I had an urge to play a World War 2 shooter and decided to revist the call of duty campaign I'm most hazy on. It's strange how different this game feels from where the series is at currently.

5. The Fall
I wasn't a big fan of the gameplay and I found the puzzles to be rather tedious but the game is really well written and the narrative kept me hooked, looking forward to the subsequent episodes.

6. Super Mario 3D World
I'm making an effort to finally play various Nintendo properties and as a result this is the first Mario game I've ever beaten and one of the few Nintendo titles I've beaten. I loved it, it plays really well and does a great job of being challenging without getting frustrating, it also looks great. I've not played any of the bonus worlds yet but I definitely plan on coming back to them at some point.

7. Fuse

While it's a shame that this game lost the personality shown in that initial trailer I don't think that it would have made it more fun to play, the game uses the same cookie cutter combat encounters repeatedly throughout the game with each encounter having way too many enemies as well as bullet sponge bosses. Overall it's not bad, just insanely bland and uninspired.

8. The Darkness 2
Decided to dig this out of the steam library as I didn't remember much about it beyond the fact that I enjoyed it back when it launched. Replaying it hasn't changed my opinion, it's a really fun and satisfying shooter with a fairly forgettable story, especially when compared to the first game.

9. Super Metroid
This is often praised as not only the best Metroid game but also the best game of it's type and after beating it I totally agree. The game just throws you into it's incredibly atmospheric world and leaves it up to you to figure out how to progress and while that can sometimes be frustrating it doesn't change the fact that figuring out how to progress is really satisfying. I'm incredibly happy I was finally able to play this as it's certainly one of the best games I've ever played.

10. Gears of War: Judgement
This really does feel like one gears game too many, I did have some fun with it but it just felt like the game was going through the motions and it wasn't really engaging as a result.

11. Double Dragon Neon
I didn't care much for this, the gameplay was dull and it has some neat ideas that it doesn't quite nail. At least the music was fantastic.

12. Dying Light
Even as someone who kind of enjoyed Dead Island, I'm surprised by how much I liked this game. The gameplay is a huge step up from Dead Island and it's why I enjoyed my time with the game so much, both the combat and the traversal are really satisfying to execute especially as you unlock the various abilities at your disposal. The weakest part of the game for me would probably be the story, it wasn't bad however it felt rather generic and I would have preferred a less self serious story.

13. The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
I ended up tuning out of the story pretty early on but the combat was enjoyable and kept me around to see the game to completion. The game tries to adapt the idea of perma death for squad members from the main XCOM games but I never actually encountered a single death throughout my playthrough so it just seemed like an afterthought. Overall considering it's troubled development this could have been far worse, it's by no means a great game but I did enjoy my time with it.

14. Marlow Briggs
A really stupid but surprisingly good game, I wouldn't have expected to enjoy a god of war clone but this game managed to provide some dumb entertainment.

15. Ghost Recon Future Soldier
Not much to say about this, it was boring and it didn't feel like a Ghost Recon game and actually felt more like splinter cell conviction.

16. Ace attorney 2
I didn't enjoy this game as much as the first for the first three cases, however I think that the final case is probably the best I've played so far, it was immediately more engaging than some of the other cases and it did a good job of keeping you guessing all the way till the end. Overall I think that the first game is stronger overall, but this was still a great game with the same fun characters and humour that made me love the first game.

KyleP29

Game 22: Battlefield Hardline (6 Hours)(XBox One) – 5/17/2015

I usually really enjoy the campaigns for battlefield, but this change was not what I was looking for. The emphasis on stealth, and non lethal arrests/take downs is just not something I am looking for in a shooter. The visuals were on par with last year, but after a year of other games improving i cant really say they wowed me. The story was alright. Not terrible, but hardly compelling... and not as many memorable set pieces either. I didn't play the multiplayer as the battlefield franchise has never really hit my multiplayer tastes, but hopefully for those that enjoy it there is a little more for them than an underwhelming campaign.

Game 23: Bloodborne (26 Hours)(PS4) – 5/23/2015

What a great game. Like most souls games I play for the challenge and experience and not so much completing the story. So while I haven't conquered bloodborne and am moving on, I certainly have gotten everything I had hoped for out of this game. The setting was fantastic, the faster combat took me a bit to get acclimated to, but once i did, oh how satisfying it was. I was a tad bit disappointed with the lack of variety in weapons, but everything else hit just the right notes. Enemy and boss design was fantastic, and a return to the wonderfully intertwined world of bloodborne was just so satisfying after dark souls 2.

ChryZ

Index:

01. GTAV (PS4, 2015/01/13, 24 hours)
02. Race the Sun (Steam, 2015/01/14, 7 hours)
03. DmC Devil May Cry + Vergil's Downfall DLC (Steam, 2015/01/16, 10 hours)
04. Triple Town (Steam, 2015/01/29, 41 hours)
05. Aqua Kitty DX (PSV, 2015/01/30, 4 hours)
06. Shovel Knight (Steam, 2015/02/03, 10 hours)
07. Metro: Last Light (Steam, 2015/02/12, 12 hours)
08. Corporate Lifestyle Simulator (Steam, 2015/02/19, 3 hours)
09. David. (Steam, 2015/02/24, 4.3 hours)
10. Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (PS4, 2015/03/01, 6 hours)

11. Metro: Last Light Season Pass (Steam, 2015/03/06, 7.5 hours)
12. Block Legend DX (Steam, 2015/03/21, 12 hours)
13. Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland (PS3, 2015/03/22, 45 hours)
14. Forward to the Sky (Steam, 2015/03/26, 3 hours)
15. Jazzpunk (Steam, 2015/03/27, 2.5 hours)
16. CounterSpy (PS4, 2015/03/28, 6 hours)
17. QP Shooting - Dangerous!! (Steam, 2015/04/04, 4.5 hours)
18. The Stanley Parable (Steam, 2015/04/06, 2 hours)
19. Double Dragon Neon (Steam, 2015/04/09, 4 hours)
20. Bloodborne (PS4, 2015/04/16, ~60 hours)

21. Botanicula (Steam, 2015/04/18, 3.7 hours)
22. Out There Somewhere (Steam, 2015/04/23, 2 hours)
23. Lili: Child of Geos (Steam, 2015/04/28, 4 hours)
24. Cherry Tree High Comedy Club (Steam, 2015/05/03, 6 hours)
25. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3, 2015/05/05, 22 hours)
26. Never Alone - Kisima Ingitchuna (PS4, 2015/05/06, 4 hours)
27. Hard Reset Extended Edition (Steam, 2015/05/08, 20 hours)
28. Hohokum (PS4, 2015/05/09, 5.2 hours)
29. Shantae (GBC, 2015/05/14, ~12 hours)
30. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2010 (Steam, 2015/05/23, 11 hours)

31. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4, 2015/05/24, 1.5 hours)
32. Bridge Constructor (Steam, 2015/05/26, 22 hours)
33. Borderlands 2 - True Vault Hunter Run (Steam, 2015/05/26, ~10 hours)
34. Transistor (Steam, 2015/06/01, 8.6 hours)
35. Astebreed (Steam, 2015/06/01, 3.4 hours)
36. Proteus (PSV, 2015/06/04, 1 hours)
37. BasketBelle (Steam, 2015/06/07, 1 hours)
38. Freedom Planet (Steam, 2015/06/11, 9 hours)
39. Mirror's Edge (Steam, 2015/06/13, 2.5 hours)
40. Savant - Ascent (Steam, 2015/06/19, 3.2 hours)

41. Killer is Dead (Steam, 2015/06/28, 10.5 hours)
42. Tearaway (PSV, 2015/07/12, 6 hours)
43. Puzzle Quest (Steam, 2015/07/18, 32 hours)
44. Grow Home (Steam, 2015/07/19, 4.2 hours)
45. Velocity 2X (PS4, 2015/07/21, 5 hours)
46. Rocket League (PS4, 2015/07/28, 12 hours)
47. Flying Hamster HD (PSV, 2015/08/09, 2 hours)
48. Snatcher (Sega-CD, 2015/08/17, 9.5 hours)
49. Entwined (PS4, 2015/08/17, 2 hours)
50. Monument Valley (Android, 2015/08/24, 2 hours)

51. Super Time Force Ultra (Steam, 2015/08/31, 6.3 hours)
52. Distance [Early Access] (Steam, 2015/09/06, 1.5 hours)
53. Canabalt (Steam, 2015/09/08, 1.2 hours)
54. Croixleur Sigma (Steam, 2015/09/09, 2.2 hours)
55. Redux: Dark Matters (Steam, 2015/09/10, 3 hours)
56. Reprisal Universe (Steam, 2015/09/19, 39 hours)
57. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4, 2015/09/22, 83 hours)
58. South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3, 2015/10/05, 14 hours)
59. Grapple (Steam, 2015/10/06, 7.8 hours)
60. Super Galaxy Squadron (Steam, 2015/10/10, 8.2 hours)

61. Cosmochoria (Steam, 2015/10/18, 9.8 hours)
62. Singularity (Steam, 2015/10/25, 9 hours)
63. DreadOut (Steam, 2015/11/06, 6.66 hours)
64. Mushihimesama (Steam, 2015/11/07, 3.4 hours)
65. Kick & Fennick (PSV, 2015/11/08, 6.25 hours)
66. CAPSULE (Steam, 2015/11/15, 2.5 hours)
67. Samorost (Web, 2015/11/17, 0.5 hour)
68. Samorost 2 (Steam, 2015/11/17, 1 hour)
69. Sound Shapes (PS4, 2015/11/21, 3 hours)
70. A Story About My Uncle (Steam, 2015/11/23, 3.5 hours)

71. Downwell (Steam, 2015/12/08, 20 hours)
72. Tearaway Unfolded (PS4, 2015/12/18, 8 hours)
73. Alien: Isolation (Steam, 2015/12/19, 21 hours)
74. Broforce (Steam, 2015/12/19, 9 hours)
75. Ruzh Delta Z (Steam, 2015/12/20, 1 hour)
76. The Order: 1886 (PS4, 2015/12/26, 9 hours)
77. Noby Noby Boy (PS3, 2015/12/27, 150120 hours)
78. Shutshimi (Steam, 2015/12/27, 2 hours)

ChryZ

Index

01. GTAV (PS4, 2015/01/13, 24 hours)

What a messed up slice of thug life layer cake that was. Best gangster sim I've ever played. The characters, conversations, story, missions, heists, random encounters, music selection, gameplay ... all top notch. Rockstar once again delivered a perfect real life satire, that managed to highlight a lot of the insanity of our daily lives. The amount of content in this game presents an incredible bang for buck ratio. I've been enjoying this gem for weeks, sometimes asking myself: "Will it ever end?". GTAV is really one of the few games of late, that I consider triple A.

02. Race the Sun (Steam, 2015/01/14, 7 hours)

Great fusion of the racing and the runner genre, that isn't just focused on getting highscores. Leveling up by completing small sub-objectives will unlock new add-ons that aid the core gameplay to race the sun even better. I really enjoyed the music, which had a slightly persian ring to it. Visually minimalistic, although very beautiful and purpose serving: super smooth framerate that provides a great sense of speed.

03. DmC Devil May Cry + Vergil's Downfall DLC (Steam, 2015/01/16, 10 hours)

Replayed DmC with the intention of following up with Vergil's Downfall. DmC is still a joy to play and mega fun. The DLC is kinda brief, therefore a bummer because Vergil's fighting style is awesome and definitely underutilized by the few extra missions.

04. Triple Town (Steam, 2015/01/29, 41 hours)

One of the best match-three puzzle games I've ever played, super polished and balanced. They even added a nice little Civilization twist to the gameplay. The puzzle part is mainly highscore driven, but doing well earns materials. They allow to build and grow your town in a persistent hub. This hub town in return will cash out gold or a few match-three items that will aid players in their puzzle efforts. I got hooked badly, really really badly. The whole thing is pretty much endless, but after 41 hours and 100% completion of its achievements, it's time to mark this one as done.

05. Aqua Kitty DX (PSV, 2015/01/30, 4 hours)

Really neat Defender style SHMUP. I totally adore its sprite work and chiptunes. I've cleared normal mode so far and its short mission structure is perfect for Vita. Wake Vita, play 2-3 missions for 10 minutes, suspend Vita. The cloud save system works great and allows seamless switching between PS4 and Vita. The game got a bunch of different modes: normal, arcade and infinity. The two later ones should be a better fit for PS4 since they demand longer play sessions. So there's some replay value too.

06. Shovel Knight (Steam, 2015/02/03, 10 hours)

Instant timeless classic: tight controls, NES grade 8bit sprite work perfection, amazing chiptunes, adorable story (even with gender equality!), insanely polished in every possible way. Love letter to retro gaming, Shovel Knight raised the bar to unholy heights.

07. Metro: Last Light (Steam, 2015/02/12, 12 hours)

I'm actually shocked how much more I enjoyed Last Light than the first title in the series. 2033 was just too spotty and not optimized. Having a higher, more solid framerate made quite the difference. They've improved pretty much everything else too, better characters, more detailed locations, pacing, also the gameplay is more varied. The whole experience felt very fresh since its story is based on a Russian Novel and the events are happening in a post-apocalyptic Moscow. I've went so far and switched the voice acting to Russian with English subtitles, which even further enhanced the cultural disorientation. Overall one of the few 1st person experiences, that really felt immersive: your gas mask shattering because of damage or getting murky by condensation; blood splatter and dirt, the need to wipe the mask to regain clear sight; your character's heavy breathing when you air filter is spent; the sizzle of acid rain on your coat, the battery dying and the flashlight getting weaker; so much staggering attention to detail that really adds to the already dense atmosphere. Gameplay wise the shooter is competent to excellent, mostly guided, but still moments of path finding, exploration and enough freedom for different play styles. Fights can be avoided by clever stealth tactics, there's also an achievement for not killing anyone (human) in your play through.

08. Corporate Lifestyle Simulator (Steam, 2015/02/19, 3 hours)

This game is especially funny if you ever worked in a corporate environment: the zombified workforce isn't moaning for brains but synergy, big-data, sustainability, paradigm-shift and all the other business buzzwords. Your character in the middle of burning cubicles, blood and wrecked copy machines. Every other level you'll get a boss fight, usually some team leader, manager as you climb, ehm, fight up the corporate ladder. The story is told in between brief skit-like cut-scenes, which add to the silliness of the situation with a great sense of humor. The gameplay got little depth, but allows for mindless carnage and fun, pretty easy 8bit isometric point and shoot/brawler.

09. David. (Steam, 2015/02/24, 4.3 hours)

It's pretty much Shadow of the Colossus with a slingshot instead of a stabby dagger, the aesthetics and soul of Thomas Was Alone. You have to fight a series of bosses, which all behave very differently. Your only weapons being a pixel slingshot and wits. The whole game is physics driven, resulting in lots of randomness and the player's skill is required to keep the chaos at bay. The game isn't the longest, but that's excusable since the gameplay is super fresh and fun.

10. Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (PS4, 2015/03/01, 6 hours)

I rarely dip into fighting games, but every now and then there are ones that pique my interest. Xrd turned my head with its outstanding rendering, that goes way beyond your normal cel shading. The anime 3D rendering never looked off in game or in the cut scenes, mad props to Arc System. The whole presentation is stunning: the rocking soundtrack, the art direction, character designs, everything insanely polished. It was a joy to watch the story and to clear the arcade mode with every fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom