• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT2| Wanted to find Ciri, but everything Gwent wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally made it to Novigrad. Playtime is bugged, I think due to ps4s rest mode, but I'm guessing I've played about 20 hours.

Some of my initial astoundment at the game's quality is starting to wear off. Been finishing up all the level appropriate side quests in Velen and I'm starting to get sick of wandering around in detective vision pixel hunting for red.

Nethertheless I'm still loving it. I continue to be amazing by the quality of the writing and presentation considering how much of it there is, and the combat while not the best I've played is still pretty good and engaging. And like countless people have said, I think this is the most well realised open world I have experienced.

Few quick questions.
- When I run out of a potion and go to craft another one, it says 'you already have this item' even though I'm on 0/3 or whatever. What's up with that?
- I assume there's no way to stop yourself overleveling? I'm feeling pressured to ignore some sidequests else I'll be to overpowered when I get back to the main story.
- I'm at level 11, about how far in is that?

Just meditate and if you have any alcohol in your inventory it will refill all your potions and bombs.

Don't worry too much about overleveling, the main quests give way too much xp compared to the sidequests so you can't really overlevel too much by doing sidequests.

Not very far, like 1/3 maybe.

http://i.imgur.com/9wHuiGb.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Man I was wondering why those guys were named and only know did I get it, was too busy killing them.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
How do you beat this goddamn fucking werewolf? I get some damage and all he does is heal himself like crazy and my health takes forfuckingever to regen consuming shit.

So fucking sick of these enemies that can kill you in two fucking hits.

teokrazia

I was sceptic about art and graphics of this game before it was cool, but now in general I'm glad with them. I'm loving how the game looks, being often amazed, despite some artistic choices that still disappoint me.

But...

...I've just noticed that Meditation no longer has the amazing time lapse effect of TW2 PC. Come on! -_-

I feel like I've already hit a wall in this game and I only just got to Velen.

I'm Level 4, did every side quest I could find and "?" icon on the map in White Orchard. Now I'm in Velen and have met Keira. After that it seems every single ? I run into or Witcher Contract is recommended for Level 10 and up.

Do I just shoot for main quest stuff now? The next one is recommended Level 6 but I'm still at 4 with almost half the bar to go to get to 5.

And I still have SO MUCH SHIT in my inventory that I'm constantly having to find a guy to sell off stuff to. Game is fun but absolutely daunting, there's so many potions and decoctions and parchments and notes and alchemy crafts that I have no idea where to even start with some of this stuff. I don't think I've made a single potion outside of "Swallow" for some lady in White Orchard for a quest.

This type of game just set your mind to a singular goal and work on that. Instead of really caring about " doing everything ".

I will set my mind on just going out and exploring. I turn off my mini map and just go look around. If I set my mind of doing some quests I'll just grab one at a time from the notice boards and go do that.

When you make a potion it stays with you forever so it's not big deal to make those. Make one then done

Guys, I don't mean to be an asshole or to backseat mod, but when you're quoting a post that is 100% in spoiler text and your reply is 100% spoiler text too, there's no visible context to know what the spoilered text is about and if it's safe to click.

And yes, as I don't know whether it's safe, I don't click it.

I waste so much damn time enjoying the view in this game.

vJ4E0iJ.gif

Time well spent.

Auctopus

this has been my first Witcher game due to lacking the prior appropriate console, I'm heading towards the home stretch of the main quest now and all I can say is this must be an utter delight for long time Witcher fans.

How do you beat this goddamn fucking werewolf? I get some damage and all he does is heal himself like crazy and my health takes forfuckingever to regen consuming shit.

Just come back after you've leveled up and gotten better gear. I slammed my head against the wall a few times on that one too until I gave up. Came back two levels higher and breezed through it.

One of the highlights of the game is there is always something else to be doing so not much point in retrying hard missions over and over.

M.D

Hold the button used to activate signs instead of pressing it. Alt mode signs are modified versions of your signs, ingame explanation should give you a pretty good impression of what they do.

Fun fact: In Germany those guys are called "Hurensohn". This is an actual insult over here (suprise suprise, it means "son of a whore"), so seeing them gives me a nice giggle every time :D
Hmm I'm on pc using a 360 controller and it doesn't seem to work? It just does the normal one

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So glad to be out in Skellige now. Novigrad was wearing on me. The amazing sense of exploration and wonder was gone inside of the city. Feels good to be back out in the wilderness.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Upgrade your silver sword, did the trick for me.
That's another thing that is frustrating the fucking piss outta me. Getting stuff to upgrade your gear and stuff is nonexistent. I never have enough money and I never have the stuff to build good weapons from a blacksmith.

I've raided all these bandit camps. I get a ton of stuff but none of it gets me good loot.

KHlover

Banned
Hmm I'm on pc using a 360 controller and it doesn't seem to work? It just does the normal one

Hm did you "buy" the alt sign and actually put it into a slot? Unlike the base version of your signs you need to spend points to unlock them.

mf.luder

Darn, I messed up I think.

I was waiting for the patch to fix gwent and in doing so I played some other quests and side quests. Baron just killed himself and now I can't win the gwent card from him. I wrote over some of my old saves and can't go back before the crones mission. I think I needed to beat him for a trophy. Anyone know?

Chariot

I was waiting for the patch to fix gwent and in doing so I played some other quests and side quests. Baron just killed himself and now I can't win the gwent card from him. I wrote over some of my old saves and can't go back before the crones mission. I think I needed to beat him for a trophy. Anyone know?
Not missable. Look in his room to find the card.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member

Check his desk should be there.

Thank god I made this Griffon elite suit and was able to dump the clown suit I had to wear up till now. Looks much better.

I have so much crafting ingredients was able to make every piece of the Griffon suit without needing to buy a single thing.

Thank god I made this Griffon elite suit and was able to dump the clown suit I had to wear up till now. Looks much better.

I have so much crafting ingredients was able to make every piece of the Griffon suit without needing to buy a single thing.

I chose to only wear complete Witcher armor sets. Everything the game throws my way is either or broken down for mats.

jett

D-Member
Two things this game should have:

1.- Being able to jump while waist-deep in water. Been stuck unable to do do shit several times, had to reload a previous save.

2.- You should teleport mounted on your horse, because.

RedSwirl

So how's the movement/combat in this game? I'm still honestly not expecting much, at least not compared to say, a Japanese action game or an American shooter.

AngryMoth

So how's the movement/combat in this game? I'm still honestly not expecting much, at least not compared to say, a Japanese action game or an American shooter.
The combat I think is good but not as good as an action game. The kinda movement sucks, unfortunately

The sidequest "Contract: The Apiarian Phantom" is bugged for me. I explored the area where the basement is before I tackled the quest, so Geralt mentions that in the cutscene and asks for the key and it skips a step. Then when I'm given the key and unlock the basement there is nothing inside as the quest doesn't behave as if i've progressed anything.

This vid shows someone else with the same issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M4JlzoDjl4

Something that Bioware has CDPR beaten in is interactions with characters. In Bioware titles you can usually do all of this shit and have all of these new conversations with companions and love interests while in here they are very specific to a few quests.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just took down a bunch of level 10 bandits and I'm at level 4 and the only loot I get is a bunch of fucking level 1 swords.

Unbelievable...

Yeah that guy is a dick. I beat him at level 4 on B and BB difficulty, after several tries. Tips:

1. Get the upgraded Serpent Silver Sword.
2. Get the Cursed Oil, and use it.
3. Use Igni.
4. Use your thunder potions.
5. You really need to keep up on the attack. Run around and get rid of the wolves first, then focus on the werewolf. Just buff yourself as much as you possibly can, keep up the attack, and with luck you should be able to outpace his healing. You only need to get him to 1/4 health... then
let him kill the girl. If you don't, you have to fight a super version of him that's fast and will definitely kill you.

Enosh

That's another thing that is frustrating the fucking piss outta me. Getting stuff to upgrade your gear and stuff is nonexistent. I never have enough money and I never have the stuff to build good weapons from a blacksmith.

I've raided all these bandit camps. I get a ton of stuff but none of it gets me good loot.
you know you can either make better stuff by crafting, or break it up into materials right?

aka you get a silver ore, from that you can make a silver bar by crafting it, or you can disassemble it to get just silver

if you have been looting stuff fairly regularly there is very little chance you don't have enough stuff to make a new level appropriate weapon or armor, at most you are maybe missing one ingredient or 1 or 2 parts of one, which the vendors usually sell for reasonable prices

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just took down a bunch of level 10 bandits and I'm at level 4 and the only loot I get is a bunch of fucking level 1 swords.

Unbelievable...
Are you still in White Orchard? You won't get anything good until you leave there. Once you hit level 8 and start exploring you'll be finding good stuff. I've only used crafted or relic items for the majority of my playtime.

Spoilers for the "Family Matters" quest-line (including related quests)
Man, the guy was a piece of shit but it was rough seeing the Bloody Baron hanging after his wife died.

I don't think I've ever felt worse about a decision I've made in a game. Do you know more about the tree spirit thing if you've read the books or played the previous games? It seemed pretty shady, but the Crones are clearly evil. I also want back to the swamp to verify that the kids were gone, and they were, so letting the druid spirit thing live seemed like the better choice. But nope, a whole village dead and the Baron kills himself. I had no clue anything like that would happen. What happens if you kill the tree druid?

That whole story was pretty great, and this game is just incredible. I just visited the Pellar to make some new potions and it was crazy to think that I met this character because he had a bit role in the Baron's story, but then the pellar also turned out to have his own backstory and quest line, and all of these characters just exist in the world. Similarly, I happened to randomly come across the area where you fight the werewolf as Ciri and it was such a cool moment to be able to track the movements of this character I'm chasing after. Maybe other games have done similar things, but the sense of place in this game is amazing.

The guy is always a clown, but after completing the Bloody Baron's story, Arthur Gies' complaints about the character seem really stupid. The guy had a rough life as a soldier, was in a dysfunctional relationship, and in the end regretted his actions and wanted to make amends. That doesn't excuse his actions, but to see that whole story and have your whole take-away to be "This game is misogynist!" is ridiculous.

Anyway, that quest was great. I've almost done every side quest available to me that not way over my level, about to move onto the Novigrad story mission, hope it's as good.

Something that Bioware has CDPR beaten in is interactions with characters. In Bioware titles you can usually do all of this shit and have all of these new conversations with companions and love interests while in here they are very specific to a few quests.

After playing KOTOR and the first Mass Effect and Dragon Age games, I realized I hated that aspect of the Bioware games, hours spent "character building" characters that I didn't really care about. I don't want to manage relationships with a dozen characters. CDPR/The Witcher handles it perfectly for me.

Spoilers for the "Family Matters" quest-line (including related quests)
Man, the guy was a piece of shit but it was rough seeing the Bloody Baron hanging after his wife died.

I don't think I've ever felt worse about a decision I've made in a game. Do you know more about the tree spirit thing if you've read the books or played the previous games? It seemed pretty shady, but the Crones are clearly evil. I also want back to the swamp to verify that the kids were gone, and they were, so letting the druid spirit thing live seemed like the better choice. But nope, a whole village dead and the Baron kills himself. I had no clue anything like that would happen. What happens if you kill the tree druid?

That whole story was pretty great, and this game is just incredible. I just visited the Pellar to make some new potions and it was crazy to think that I met this character because he had a bit role in the Baron's story, but then the pellar also turned out to have his own backstory and quest line, and all of these characters just exist in the world. Similarly, I happened to randomly come across the area where you fight the werewolf as Ciri and it was such a cool moment to be able to track the movements of this character I'm chasing after. Maybe other games have done similar things, but the sense of place in this game is amazing.

The guy is always a clown, but after completing the Bloody Baron's story, Arthur Gies' complaints about the character seem really stupid. The guy had a rough life as a soldier, was in a dysfunctional relationship, and in the end regretted his actions and wanted to make amends. That doesn't excuse his actions, but to see that whole story and have your whole take-away to be "This game is misogynist!" is ridiculous.

Anyway, that quest was great. I've almost done every side quest available to me that not way over my level, about to move onto the Novigrad story mission, hope it's as good.

There is a book called The Lady of the Wood that gives a hint as to what the spirit in the tree is. If you don't free her, you can join the baron in an expedition to free his wife from the bog. And the swamp orphans are eaten by the crones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom