• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: July 20-26, 2009

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
botticus said:
It had a far lower second week than DQVII, but only a slightly lower third week. The 4th week should be a solid indicator if it will continue to trail VII and end short of 4 million, or if it will be back to tracking ahead with the likelihood of breaking that barrier.

This year, the peak of the Obon travel season is anticipated to take place between August 8 and August 16. I think Dragon Quest IX will be the best gift for this season, so don't expect the sales to start falling drastically the following weeks.

gimz

Cheesemeister said:
Thanks for posting the OP. Just remember that you're obligated to update it with software #31-50 as well as hardware numbers.

One of these days, I'll automate my parser program to process posts perfectly.
i miss your media thread, just because of
cheese.gif
on the first post :(

I'm loving the charts as of late; Friends Collection sales are very impressive, will probably hit a million in 3 months. DQ9, sales are down but not bad, will hit 3.8m at least. WSR, looking sexy there, it's keeping up the diet :D . I can't wait for next week's numbers. I can see MH3 hitting 650k in its first week.

jay

bcn-ron said:
So let's try to find games that hit 6 million without first hitting 5 million.

Sales will be so amazing that millions of copies will be sold simultaneously. Consider buying a 24 pack of toilet paper. Did the retailer sell 1, then 2, and then eventually 24 rolls?

Xavien said:
After Wii Music, you can't really take that for granted.
It's no Wii Sports, but it's still a game that after dipping below 10K/week came back over 50K for the peak of the holiday season, and has thus far quadrupled its opening week.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hardware:

DSi 80,362
PSP 30,523
Wii 23,995
DS Lite 12,385
PS3 8,997
PS2 3,305
Xbox 360 3,080

meme

Banned
Wii higher than expected, since the black one is coming saturday, Donny's prediction seems really spot on.

Rolf NB

jay said:
Sales will be so amazing that millions of copies will be sold simultaneously. Consider buying a 24 pack of toilet paper. Did the retailer sell 1, then 2, and then eventually 24 rolls?
Those are clearly spin-offs. Not comparable at all.

adversesolutions said:
Why in god's name did they bother?

I wonder why these Western games that sell under 10k continue to be released in Japan, while there's dozens of games this generation stuck in Japan. Are they actually localized, or just released in English?

zero_suit said:
Are there any predictions for next week's Wii sales?

MHG ~250k gave a 6-8k jump

So by randomly applying some non-existant rule about linearly related hardware bumps, a 1 mil ltd (MH3) should give a 24-32k bump, putting Wii at around 50k-ish.

jrricky

Banned
schuelma said:
Hardware:

DSi 80,362
PSP 30,523
Wii 23,995
DS Lite 12,385
PS3 8,997
PS2 3,305
Xbox 360 3,080
Wow,360 and PS3 are about to cross the streams....AGAIN!!!!! OH, THE HORROR!!!!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
kiruyama said:

So by randomly applying some non-existant rule about linearly related hardware bumps, a 1 mil ltd (MH3) should give a 24-32k bump, putting Wii at around 50k-ish.

Remember the black Wii is also coming out. I think it could do 100K..I don't know, maybe that is too high.

Nutter

kiruyama said:

Hmm, there is also something called the Black Wii coming out that day. :p

I say 95k > 75k> 60k> 50k> 40k> with 30k Being the new baseline for a month before it goes up or down.

Fantastic hardware numbers, DSi is doing better than I expected and Wii is locked in this position at least till next week:D

I can't wait till next week's numbers.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
BishopLamont said:
Add to the fact that Japan isn't even it's strongest region (Unsure whether US or EU is highest atm, but my bet would be on Europe) and Layton's selling power is even more impressive.

Well, Layton 1 hit 600k *in the UK alone* with the latest ELSPA award (june/july).
A freakin' monster.

AniHawk

I'm surprised that WSR has actually held steady. It seems to have increased Wii sales a bit too.

And I'm really surprised at the lasting impact DQIX's had on DS sales.

Jonnyram

We are getting 1st days quite early recently.
That Gears number is a little off though - I'm seeing 26,000 for the LE on Sinobi's site, and he says 39,000 total. Pretty good numbers too.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
01. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) - 270,305 / 3,202,000
02. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 73,716 / 428,000
03. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 73,570 / 763,000
04. [NDS] A Penguin's Troubles: Tenkuu no Senshi (Konami) - 43,211 / NEW
05. [NDS] Welcome Home! Chibi-Robo! Happy, Rich Big Sweep (Nintendo) - 34,745 / NEW
06. [PS3] Katamari Damacy: Tribute (Namco Bandai) - 28,485 / NEW
07. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble X: Mirai Chou-Bakuhatsu!! (Takara Tomy) - 27,536 / NEW
08. [PS2] Pro Baseball Spirits 6 (Konami) - 21,781 / 72,000
09. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 6 (Konami) - 20,938 / 95,000
10. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP the Best) (Capcom) - 18,008 / 818,000
11. [PSP] My Summer Vacation 4: Youth Detective Group in Seto - Me and the Secret Map (SCE)
12. [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (Sega)
13. [WII] Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Picollo (Namco Bandai)
14. [NDS] Moyashimon DS (Takara Tomy)
15. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.)
16. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo)
17. [WII] Punch-Out!! (Nintendo)
18. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
19. [PS3] Toro to Morimori (SCE)
20. [NDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix)
21. [NDS] Paul Sloane and Des MacHale's Mysterious Story (Level 5)
22. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii (Namco Bandai)
23. [PS2] Rosario to Vampire Capu 2: Koi to Yume no Rhapsodia (Compile Heart)
24. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
25. [NDS] Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (Nintendo)
26. [PSP] Ys I & II: Chronicles (Falcom)
27. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
28. [PSP] Narisokonai Eiyuutan: Taiyou to Tsuki no Monogatari (Irem)
29. [NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (Pokemon Co.)
30. [PSP] Blazing Souls (Idea Factory)
31. [NDS] Metal Fight Beyblade DS (Hudson)
32. [NDS] Rhythm Heaven: Tap into the Rhythm (Nintendo)
33. [NDS] Koukou Yakyuu Dou DS (Spike)
34. [NDS] Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (Capcom)
35. [PS3] 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand (Bethesda Softworks)
36. [PSP] Class of Heroes 2 (Acquire)
37. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master DS: The 7 Island Adventure (Namco Bandai)
38. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
39. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5)
40. [PS3] Call of Huarez: Bound in Blood (Ubisoft)
41. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
42. [WII] New Play Control! Chibi-Robo (Nintendo)
43. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo)
44. [PSP] PW: Project Witch (GungHo Works)
45. [PS3] Atelier Rorona: Alchemist of Arland (Gust)
46. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo)
47. [WII] New Play Control! Pikmin 2 (Nintendo)
48. [NDS] Qupu!! Mame Goma! (TDK Core)
49. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo)
50. [PSP] Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance (Marvelous Entertainment)

I had made a mistake with 30. It's not PW: Project Witch but Blazing Souls. Captain Smoker please fix it when you update the OP.

Busaiku

bttb said:
[NDS] Puyo Puyo 7 (Sega) - 26,000 (31%)
The numbers don't seem too bad, but given the shipment, it's not that great either.

However, going by Garaph, most Puyo Puyo games tend to have really good legs.
Many of the titles don't even show up on the weekly rankings, but do seem to make it into the Famitsu 500.

I don't think it will go on to match the sales of the 15th Anniversary game on the DS, but, from its opening it will probably be the best since (making it the third best on Garaph, when combining the DS's 15th Anniversary SKUs).
Unless it somehow bucks the trend of long legs.

bttb said:
Famitsu First Day Sales (07/30)

[PSP] Armored Core 3 Portable (From Software) - 30,000 (65%)
Is From Software really going to do this good with their 'lets port all ps2 armored core and tenchu titles we can to psp' strategy? This must have triggered another signal in every company to continue regurgitating their old games on PSP. Awesome
(not really)

Really good for Puyo Puyo 7 and Gears of War 2 too, and the eva pachislot and to heart psport probably did well enough for what they are.

King of Fighters XII uh, that looks bad, specially after BlazBlue numbers.

doicare

I might as well jump in with my monster hunter 3 first week prediction before any numbers come out:

(wii) monster hunter 3: 530,000

Chris1964 said:
(...)

I had made a mistake with 30. It's not PW: Project Witch but Blazing Souls. Captain Smoker please fix it when you update the OP.
thanks. :D

and thanks to donny for the pics. ;)

I've updated the first post now, it's complete. :)

wrowa

Jonnyram said:
We are getting 1st days quite early recently.
I'm sure: Someday we will get the 1st day sales even before the games go on sale!

doicare said:
I might as well jump in with my monster hunter 3 first week prediction before any numbers come out:

(wii) monster hunter 3: 530,000
Weren't most of your predictions wrong so far? Just asking.

wrowa said:
Weren't most of your predictions wrong so far? Just asking.
He's been off on some titles, pretty close on others. Either way, they're just his predictions, no need to ride the guy for being inaccurate. Not like he gets paid for them like Michael Patches O'Houlihan.

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 241 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 194.3 weeks (November 18, 2003), where DS was at 103.1 weeks (November 20, 2006), and where GBA was at 162.5 weeks (April 29, 2004).

X360 comparisons: After 189 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 17.7 weeks (January 11, 2002), where PS3 was at 39.3 weeks (August 7, 2007), and where Wii was at 5.7 weeks (January 5, 2007).

PS3 comparisons: After 141 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 47.3 weeks (January 23, 2001), where PSP was at 70.1 weeks (April 10, 2006), where GCN was at 130.7 weeks (March 12, 2004), and where Wii was at 36.3 weeks (August 7, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 138 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 99.7 weeks (February 14, 2003), where DS was at 77.5 weeks (May 24, 2006), where PS2 was at 118.2 weeks (June 3, 2002), and where PSP was at 168.9 weeks (March 1, 2008).

DSi comparisons: After 38 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 52.3 weeks (February 10, 2004) and where DSL was at 19.2 weeks (July 10, 2006).

So DSi has passed what GBASP did in its first full year with 14 weeks to spare. Clearly DSi is a more successful reiteration of hardware than GBASP, but also clearly not the giant DS Lite was.

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 75.2 / 24.8 bring total shares to 68.4 / 31.6. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 477.9 weeks (September 23, 2018).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 25.5 / 74.5 bring total shares to 24.8 / 75.2. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 706.8 weeks (February 11, 2023).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 27.3 / 72.7 bring total shares to 28.4 / 71.6. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 549.3 weeks (February 4, 2020).

Week over week, there's no uniformity or real pattern to the ups and down.
X360

Through the first thirty weeks of the year, overall sales are down. However, the systems can be split into camps of 3 up and 3 down. Here's how the year-to-date year-over-year percents stand as of now.

Wii: -61.8%
DSL+DSi: +11.9%
PS2: -51.9%
PS3: +4.8%
PSP: -46.6%
X360: +171.5%

Home hardware: -39.4%
Portable hardware: -21.3%
Sum of all hardware: -28.6%

Last year:

This year:

With YTD sales of 245K by Media Create, X360 could stop now and still have its second best year yet. #1 is 2008 at 322K.

Famitsu Software Stuff

In its second week Dragon Quest IX continues outpacing Dragon Quest VIII, though at 2.95 million it narrowly misses 3 million. Though not pictured here, it's worth noting that through week two Dragon Quest VII was at 2.93 million.
IX

After its first week, Dragon Quest IX became the DS's #8 title. After its second week, it is #7, passing Pokémon Platinum. Everything else is currently at 3.4-5.7 million, so further passing will be slow-going.
DQ+IX

PSP's Ys I & II Chronicles starts off well, matching the better two PS2 Ys starts. I'm not finding any other Ys games in Garaph. I specifically looked for the DS release of I & II, but it appears so far that has only released in North America.
PSP+Ys+I+-PERC-26+II

In some sort of sales turkey, Momotarou Dentetsu 20th Anniversary has ranked #30 for three weeks in a row.
3323+-+Momotarou+Dentetsu+20th+Anniversary+-+DS

Top Bottom