• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PLAYSTATION 3 "OFFICIALLY" (finally) Announced! Landing on US stores now!

HUELEN10

blu said:
there, at last. somebody with guts.
Let it be known that he is a god among men.
wa3gjc.jpg

Raist said:
You do know what WIP means right?

Yeah. I do. Still, some suggestions...

Sports:

MLB 09: The Show
Hot Shots Golf

Racing:

Wipeout HD
Burnout Paradise
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift

Social/Party:

Buzz: Quiz TV
Singstar

Plus, since you are doing multiplat (I see Bioshock there) you've got a lot of work cut out for you.

Amir0x

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
Uh no. Sell Prototype ASAP and get inFamous 2009 GOTY (so far).

I have INfamous. That's why I'm not playing it yet - I'm trying to get through Prototype on 360. So it's redundant to start it yet.

reilo said:
Ami is an equal opportunity hater.

Someone gets it! :D

Sascha23

Banned
All you lucky bastards are killing me here.

Would it be ridiculous to buy a Slim even though I have a 60gb?

It would. Wouldn't it?

Gah...

Doc Evils

blu said:
there, at last. somebody with guts.

Benchmarks so far.

LBP install time FAT ps3
38 seconds

LBP install time SLIM ps3
35 seconds

Street Fighter 4 (game load to capcom screen)
23 second Fat
22 seconds Slim

GTA: IV install data
7 minutes 30 seconds FAT ps3
7 minutes 8 seconds SLIM ps3

also started a new game about 9 seconds faster than the FAT ps3.

as far as graphically, i haven't noticed any frame rate difference yet,

So my conclusion so far is the blu ray drive may be alil faster in the slimmer ps3, but that's to be expected, it does have a slight difference in load times with every game i tried. i'll post more when i get more into it.

EDIT:

I will add the fan noise is considerably quieter than the fat ps3 you hardly even hear it on its 3rd speed,
this will be good for anyone who likes watching movies while its quiet, and when playing creepy video games not have that "WOOOOOOOOOOOO" sound to annoy you haha. This thing doesn't get nearly as hot as the fat ps3.

(Note: this is before applying the mx-2 to the cpu and gpu).

And, i have MX-2 in the FAT ps3, so far it's still quieter and doesn't get nearly as hot, Fat ps3 was burning up after 1 hour of GTA 4, while the Slim was warm at best.

interesting.

Sentry said:
I just had to add that pic to the end of the OP. :lol
:lol :lol :lol

Tough choice ahead... I bought the Slim as a secondary PS3 for my office but since it's quieter and supports more audio codecs maybe I should make it the primary system in my living room where it'll see more use and relegate my fatty to the office. Decisions decisions...

Guy Legend

Gary Whitta said:

Tough choice ahead... I bought the Slim as a secondary PS3 for my office but since it's quieter and supports more audio codecs maybe I should make it the primary system in my living room where it'll see more use and relegate my fatty to the office. Decisions decisions...

Home office? Nice....I'd def put the slim in the living room for the less noise, greater efficiency (less electricity used).

lupinko

dreamer3kx said:
97 gigs at bootup?! Isn't that kind of excessive? I would think it would come with 110 gigs at least.

120gb = what manufacturers want people to believe
~110gb = what is actual size of hdd
97gb = ps3 always reserves 10% of hdd for other system functions, so the bigger hdd you have, the more space you have, the more space will be reserved

noah111

Still Alive
[EDIT] Better look at the internals here, as well as instructions on how to dismantle the slim yourself.

be1bSIBJJAk1dEvk.large

AmmNhYJTpbpVA2b2.large

UOIaH42VD4LSfUp5.large

uMSbX32hGg6ZM3Vy.large

RXcHavADasghJVnQ.large

b1f5bKGnMFcWn6iC.large

q3OhyQaVpJwjThun.large

LZZutxTtCHI6NXNg.large

MuPTJIOYOSj5AxLl.large

nya51g.jpg

So finally, the first shots of the internals of the PS3 slim, credit goes to TechPowerUp! Forums user JoinMeInDeath417;

joinmeindeath417 said:
it... it is done, i have taken her apart, like a wild beast not knowing anything about it. and it wasn't that hard.
here are pics no step by step yet, i just want to get them up!

THE PSU is still pretty big, they basically just stretched it haha, its the whole black of the ps3 slim, the blu-ray drive is smaller, and this machine is def, quieter, could be cause the fans all the way in the front of it and not in the back or middle anymore!

Starts off pretty easy.
IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030-1.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052-1.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics wanted to be the first online to post these pics! ENJOY!
joinmeindeath417 said:
Benchmarks so far.

LBP install time FAT ps3
38 seconds

LBP install time SLIM ps3
35 seconds

Street Fighter 4 (game load to capcom screen)
23 second Fat
22 seconds Slim

GTA: IV install data
7 minutes 30 seconds FAT ps3
7 minutes 8 seconds SLIM ps3

also started a new game about 9 seconds faster than the FAT ps3. as far as graphically, i haven't noticed any frame rate difference yet, So my conclusion so far is the blu ray drive may be alil faster in the slimmer ps3, but that's to be expected, it does have a slight difference in load times with every game i tried. i'll post more when i get more into it.

EDIT: I will add the fan noise is considerably quieter than the fat ps3 you hardly even hear it on its 3rd speed, this will be good for anyone who likes watching movies while its quiet, and when playing creepy video games not have that "WOOOOOOOOOOOO" sound to annoy you haha. This thing doesn't get nearly as hot as the fat ps3.

(Note: this is before applying the mx-2 to the cpu and gpu)

And, i have MX-2 in the FAT ps3, so far it's still quieter and doesn't get nearly as hot, Fat ps3 was burning up after 1 hour of GTA 4, while the Slim was warm at best.

Shurs

chubigans said:
So he'd save 12 dollars...but he'd have to pay shipping on Amazon and wait a few days to get it.

Not exactly a great idea. :D

Also, why should the developers get anything for all of the work they put into the game?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Amir0x said:
I have INfamous. That's why I'm not playing it yet - I'm trying to get through Prototype on 360. So it's redundant to start it yet.

Someone gets it! :D
What's your PSN id? Don't be a loaner!

noah111

Still Alive
MikeE21286 said:
Yeah, I'm almost positive. I don't check them everyday but there were some on there that looked like they were new to me.
Hmm, I see no new ones except two avatars with that broken image logo, 'Missing Image'.. other than that they're all the same. Maybe those two blank ones are new?

Gary Whitta said:
Solution: Buy another slim. :D

Sentry said:
Hmm, I see no new ones except two avatars with that broken image logo, 'Missing Image'.. other than that they're all the same. Maybe those two blank ones are new?

in that case you're probably right.

Sentry said:

Solution: Buy another slim. :D
No way, 60gb fatty + Slim = best PS3 combo ever!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Amir0x said:
Don't worry I'm getting that next paycheck. I spent a little too fucking much this week. Set me back a lot into my savings :lol

As to what I'm playing first.

I'm thinking Valkyria Chronicles, only because it seems to be different from everything else I'm playing at the moment. I'm playing Wolfenstein so I'm not trying to start another FPS yet, and Batman is my adventuring fix so Uncharted can wait. PLUS I purchased Prototype like a week or two ago sooo... INfamous seems redundant for the next few weeks :p

Great success!

All this talk of silence and faster installs etc. is making me go hmmmm. Maybe it's time to get a PAL unit to go with my JPN launch one. Would be handy for non-region-free Blu-rays. We'll see.

Raist

Banned
The new mobo looks soooo empty, looks like they slashed a lot of stuff. Where the fuck is the SC chip? oO

They could probably size it down again without trouble :lol

Raist said:
Quick and Dirty motherboard comparison.

Left, 40GB
Right, Slim
wtucfq.jpg

The one on the left isn't the 40GB model (hardware PS2 BC on the left side of the motherboard). This is what the 40GB motherboard actually looks like:

1802652525_aa0c26b42a.jpg

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
GAF delivers! nice pics...

he slim is temping man damn... if it wasnt for the fact that I have a 60gigger wBC and a 250G hd drive I dont want to format, I would get this in a heartbeat...

maybe combo? beaten.

Doc Evils

Raist said:
The new mobo looks soooo empty, looks like they slashed a lot of stuff. Where the fuck is the SC chip? oO

They could probably size it down again without trouble :lol

I imagine they took the safe approach. Next year then can slim the system down further when they can (I hope) produce the cell and rsx unified.

I also imagine a custom drive like the one in the PS2 slim would also help.

PistolGrip said:
GAF delivers! nice pics...

he slim is temping man damn... if it wasnt for the fact that I have a 60gigger wBC and a 250G hd drive I dont want to format, I would get this in a heartbeat...

maybe combo? beaten.

60GB PS3 can be the best PS2 ever

Raist

Banned
_leech_ said:
The one on the left isn't the 40GB model (hardware PS2 BC on the left side of the motherboard). This is what the 40GB motherboard actually looks like:

1802652525_aa0c26b42a.jpg

My bad, I meant 60GB. Fixed.

Top Bottom