• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z hits PS4 August 4, adds Mech Mode

baconcow

Has anything been said about end game content (i.e. new game plus, harder difficulties, etc.) to extend replayability? That's my only real concern, right now. Have been watching everything I can find, but some videos are older and previews have inconsistent info (i.e. Polygon mentioned various difficulties in their recent video). Despite that, I'm looking forward to Monday's reviews and hopefully a midnight unlock.

MattyG

Banned
When are reviews for this hitting? I can't decide if I want it, but I also don't want to miss the discount like with N++.

When are reviews for this hitting? I can't decide if I want it, but I also don't want to miss the discount like with N++.
In the email I just got, it says that impressions/preview coverage of the review build are embargoed until Monday (Aug. 3rd) at 9am PST, and reviews themselves are embargoed until Tuesday (Aug. 4th) at 9am PST.

baconcow

In the email I just got, it says that impressions/preview coverage of the review build are embargoed until Monday (Aug. 3rd) at 9am PST, and reviews themselves are embargoed until Tuesday (Aug. 4th) at 9am PST.

Another post-launch embargo? It was previously stated reviews would come Monday. Getting tired of these pre-order discounts on post-launch review titles. Thanks for the update, though. :(

sarcoa

Another post-launch embargo? It was previously stated reviews would come Monday, unless I'm mistaken. Getting tired of these pre-order discounts on post-launch review titles. Thanks for the update, though. :(
In this case Galak-Z appears to be a victim of timing. The game isn't even live for press until early Monday morning.

I wouldn't read into that as being positive or negative, btw. This happens with plenty of digital games.

In this case Galak-Z appears to be a victim of timing. The game isn't even live for press until early Monday morning.

I wouldn't read into that as being positive or negative, btw. This happens with plenty of digital games.
This seems to be the explanation. Review code doesn't go live until 12AM PST Monday morning, so reviews being embargoed until Tuesday isn't exactly ridiculous. No reviews will even be ready Monday morning. I guess they had a last minute rush and couldn't push the code out soon enough for reviews to go up Monday. Maybe Jake can pop on and tell you all more.

drotahorror

Was wondering if this would be released at midnight like N++ was.

"Play on 08-04-2015, Midnight Eastern Time."

Sony really doing it up with these midnight EST releases. I'm surprised, especially with digital only titles.

Wanted to run this by people for their opinion: do you find GIFs in OTs to be annoying? I know some other OTs like the Rocket League one have done it. I feel like this could be a useful game to do it with given how crazy some of the action looks.

baconcow

Wanted to run this by people for their opinion: do you find GIFs in OTs to be annoying? I know some other OTs like the Rocket League one have done it. I feel like this could be a useful game to do it with given how crazy some of the action looks.

They suck for some tablets and phones, but this game has killer transformations and maneuvers that deserve being seen. Could always put them in a collapsed box.

Tunavi

Banned
in moderation, they're good.

Volcynika

They suck for mobile devices. Granted, I have images disabled just to save on data.

Is this game getting a lot of hype because it's confirmed to be awesome, or is the hype just because the game looks awesome? I keep watching footage and it looks like an okay game for sure, but nothing I'm seeing is syncing up with the amount of excitement I keep seeing for it. Which is awesome, excitement is good and healthy, I'm just curious as I'm sorta on the fence on preordering it.

Tunavi

Banned
Is this game getting a lot of hype because it's confirmed to be awesome, or is the hype just because the game looks awesome? I keep watching footage and it looks like an okay game for sure, but nothing I'm seeing is syncing up with the amount of excitement I keep seeing for it. Which is awesome, excitement is good and healthy, I'm just curious as I'm sorta on the fence on preordering it.
looks awesome. good 2d space dogfights with RPG elements and advanced enemy combat AI

Check out the GiantBomb quicklook or maybe the Polygon video? They have spoilers, but that might be a better gauge of whether this game is worth your excitement.

baconcow

Sounds like we'll find out post-launch. I am also on the fence. Most games on GAF are hyped quite a bit, so it is difficult to tell the difference. One thing is certain, videos show great ship to ship tactical combat and the AI appears quite advanced. Beyond that (post game content, replayability, etc.), is still quite vague. They did say, in the Giant Bomb Quick Look, that one playtester took more than 20 hours to complete the game, but didn't go into details (chapter 1-4 or 5, etc.).

The Giant Bomb Quick Play is the best video, so far. The Polygon videos are weak. The IGN video is good. The Gamespot one is ok.

I've asked the dev. some simple questions, without answers.

Check out the GiantBomb quicklook or maybe the Polygon video? They have spoilers, but that might be a better gauge of whether this game is worth your excitement.

Sounds like we'll find out post-launch. I am also on the fence. One thing is certain, videos show great ship to ship tactical combat and the AI appears quite advanced. They did say, in the Giant Bomb Quick Look, that one playtester took more than 20 hours to complete the game, but didn't go into details (chapter 1-4 or 5, etc.).

Thanks for the info. I'll probably go ahead and get it though, especially since it could be really cool and I'd like to get the discount.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

I've played it twice at E3 events, and really liked it. You pretty much get what you see if you watch the Quick Play or something similar. It's highly skill-based, and will kill you if you aren't paying attention. The lead dev on it seemed like a good dude, too. The game seems like a labor of love in a big way.

I've played it twice at E3 events, and really liked it. You pretty much get what you see if you watch the Quick Play or something similar. It's highly skill-based, and will kill you if you aren't paying attention. The lead dev on it seemed like a good dude, too. The game seems like a labor of love in a big way.

That's awesome. Well hopefully it turns out good and the price isn't too bad anyway.

BashNasty

I'm in a similar position where I'm on the fence about this game, so I went and watched the Quicklook and... I dunno. It certainly doesn't look bad, but the video at least didn't show any big gameplay hooks that really dug into me. The combat looks fine, but maybe a little bland. I dunno, hopefully it's one of those games that you play and instantly everything clicks as it just feels great in the hands, but we will see.

Played this twice at gamescom and Playstation Experience last year with Raj from 17bit. It definitely has a high skill ceiling, but I can see people not getting the hang of the controls in the beginning. Once you get the hang of the way the inertia works, it becomes an awesome dance with the way you maneuver around enemies and obstacles. There's a lot of nice HUD elements as well that are subtle but tell you a lot about your surroundings. Of course, these builds I tried didn't have the mecha, so I can't wait to try that out in all its glory.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Impressions/preview coverage of the review build are embargoed until tomorrow morning (Aug. 3rd) at 9am PST, and reviews themselves are embargoed until Tuesday (Aug. 4th) at 9am PST.

Damn. I wanted to read some reviews before I got in at the preorder price.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It's awesome. The controls are the best I've encountered in the genre. That's been my major turn off for games of this type.

Top Bottom