• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taiko no Tatsujin |Series Discussion Thread| A Donderful World

Just realized, V is gonna be the first Taiko game with proper trophies/achievements. Kinda weird to see, lol. They're really similar to the requirements for stamps in the 3DS and Wii U games anyways. Definitely gonna go for Platinum!

A bit over a day left, huh? I don't remember exactly when PSN games unlock. Gonna be a good time, hope people who had to sit out on the 3DS and Wii U games due to region lock get in on it.

Takao

Banned
SCEJA's product page for Taiko V Version makes no mention of PSTV compatibility.

Incredibly baffling decision given the game doesn't use any of Vita's touch interfaces (though it really should).

ok i just tried out my preload version on my PSTV. dream's dead
unless they push out an update that makes it compatible

so weird, the game seems totally set up for PSTV compatibility, using extremely little touch control and including the ability to adjust timing offset, which none of the handheld games have had before. and it's still on the vita tv homepage! it's like they forgot to hit the PSTV compatibility switch or something.

Incredibly baffling decision given the game doesn't use any of Vita's touch interfaces (though it really should).

can't have anyone missing out on that sweet touch screen menu navigation

Aizo

Banned
I just got home from traveling, and my vita is downloading V (that battery life in sleep mode is amazing). Releasing early? I've never done preloads on Vita before.

Edit: I understand. I'm just new to this preload thing

ChrisD

It just occurred to me that Japan time is different. Aren't they ahead of ost time zones, meaning those of us in the West get to play before the 9th? :O

blazeaire

SCEJA's product page for Taiko V Version makes no mention of PSTV compatibility.

Wait really?? So no touch drums? I love using them back on DS :(. Damn this might actually put me off buying it for now...

yeah it'll strike the 9th in japan about 11 am where i am (eastern US time). only done vita preloading once, so i'm not sure what time the game will unlock. though i hear the store itself doesn't update for another 10 to 12 hours or so, so it's possible the DLC songs won't be up until then.

but like i said i don't have much experience with this. it's all definitely tomorrow US time, though.

Aizo

Banned
I think my first pre-load was Fire Emblem if, so I'm just getting used to this now haha. I'm ready!!

muteki

Paid off Amiami this morning, so should get here by Monday.

First Taiko game for me outside of borrowed copies from friends, looking forward to it.

Edit : I was meaning to ask, with taiko plus on ios, how would I go about syncing data between the app on iphone and ipad?

If you mean song pack purchases, if you try to purchase them on the same account you did before on a different device, it'll tell you they've already been bought and allow you to download them. Done this myself with no problems.

If you mean score and customization data, evidently that's more tricky. I doubt the game works with iCloud (though I may be wrong), and I believe iTunes syncs involve only the App itself and not the App's data, so I think you have to go and locate the save data manually in an external application and copy it over. Don't have any experience with this myself, unfortunately.

Aizo

Banned
I was interested in this, but watching some gameplay videos I don't think my Vita would survive the button mashing. Nor my fingers.
I sometimes worry that I'm messing up my 3DS when I played songs like Senbonzakura on Oni (current hardest song I can beat..)

If there's any concern about how the game will handle on Vita buttons, or whether you'll like it, definitely consider checking out the demo. Fortunately it includes all difficulty levels for the included songs, so you can see how things go for you at different levels on intensity.

Aizo

Banned
Ewwww the singer for the ゲス cover sounds nothing like Kawatani :(((
That was the song I was most excited for... I thought they got the real thing. Warner too expensive?

Not surprised if it's under Warner, a large portion of the Kyary songs were covers too. And the non-covers are some of the few muted Taiko videos I've seen on YT. I get the impression they're kinda vicious, lol.

Not gonna be able to play until I'm out of work, but I'm looking forward to seeing the OT and reading impressions.

Shinriji

Paid off Amiami this morning, so should get here by Monday.

First Taiko game for me outside of borrowed copies from friends, looking forward to it.

Amiami still didn't confirmed my payment or send the shipping confirmation.

EDIT: I went on their website and manually paid the game. Should get here in a week or two.

Forgot to mention, I bought this at AX last weekend:

CJG-P-pUkAAxedB.jpg

Aizo

Banned
Holy shit. Donda quest is hard for me. I mean, I can hardly play Senbonzakura on Oni, but damn... some missions even on muzukashii are hard to pass.

Gu4n

My copy got shipped, should be here during the beginning of next week. I haven't played Taiko intensely since the third instalment for 3DS and the fourth one for Wii (not sure which came later), so I'm really looking forward to V.

Aizo

Banned
* Only to those with a Vita, and we all know no one outside Japan owns one.
I mean, it's a vita game, so yeah, it's region free only if you have a Vita. It's not the most popular system, and I could understand those who don't know Japanese not wanting to own one, but the game is not lessened by being on the Vita.

Well, I've gone Pro, lol

Haven't opened it up yet, but do any experienced owners have advice for proper care or maintenance or anything like that? Should I put a cover over it to prevent smudging? Any good ways to minimize lag due to it being wireless (seems a shame to make such a premium device and not have it be wired for as-close-to-perfection as possible, but perhaps that was out of the question)? I want to make damn sure I get my money's worth out of this thing, lol.

Aizo

Banned
Well, I've gone Pro, lol

Haven't opened it up yet, but do any experienced owners have advice for proper care or maintenance or anything like that? Should I put a cover over it to prevent smudging? Any good ways to minimize lag due to it being wireless (seems a shame to make such a premium device and not have it be wired for as-close-to-perfection as possible, but perhaps that was out of the question)? I want to make damn sure I get my money's worth out of this thing, lol.
High import cost?
I'm planning on buying one while I'm living in Japan again, but I'm waiting to see if they announce another Wii U one, or if it'll go to PS4 or something....

Hypothetically, if the series moved to PS4, how likely is it that they would make another pro controller? Pretty unlikely, huh? I just don't want to buy a peripheral that will be obsolete in two years... I wonder how likely it is that the NX would support it.

Yeah, sorry, I can't even begin to guess. If you're curious, my logic for going for it was 1. a lot of import retailers seem to be out of stock, and eBay prices are way higher, 2. I live in an apartment and normal Tatacons are much too noisy for me to use regularly at all, and I really want to get into the habit of playing on a drum, and 3. even in the off chance of there being no more games that support the controller (which I quite doubt, but there's always the possibility), there's still 7 games that DO work with it, which is still tons of content overall, and more than enough to keep coming back to, even years down the line.

... but I recognize that it's a very large investment, and those things definitely did cross my mind as well. To soften the blow a bit, I tried to cut back on some of my unnecessary spending on other things, and invest it in the Pro controller, which I know I'll use, instead.

Shinriji

Next week, we will start the Taiko Vita Score Contest. I guess that 2 weeks after launch the sweet spot for everyone get their copies and get used to the game. Rules will be similar to the Miku and P4GDAN contests.

Aizo

Banned
... but I recognize that it's a very large investment, and those things definitely did cross my mind as well. To soften the blow a bit, I tried to cut back on some of my unnecessary spending on other things, and invest it in the Pro controller, which I know I'll use, instead.
It's not the price that concerns me, really. It's more that it takes up so much space, and I move somewhat regularly (a fact which I despise). So, until I have a somewhat permanent home in Japan, I won't buy it. I'm not even sure which prefecture I'll be living in after two months from now... :(

Man, this playing on an actual drum thing is hard lol. Still dropping a few notes, but I'll assume it's because I'm not used to it yet.

I really need to get some MyBachi.

They are doing a push for Taiko just the past few days.

Besides the regular IdolM@sters, IdolM@ster SideM (the guy's version) is having a collab with the arcade version of Taiko and Chain Chronicles is having a collab with Taiko in September.

Pretty interesting to see all these collabs start popping up.

Aizo

Banned
It looks like I should finally just accept that I'm no good at rhythm games. I still can't beat more than half the oni songs in 3ds2. Then, I finally played the arcade version again for the first time in about 10 months, and I can't even play high tier hard songs on that...

I feel like in every other game genre, I can just become good with practice, but maybe not having grown up on these types of games really impaired me. It's weird, because I can play real instruments just fine, but I never did learn percussion ones. Hmm.

They are doing a push for Taiko just the past few days..

This past year or so has seen a pretty big push, to be honest. Taiko staff have been talking about expanding the series for the 15th anniversary (not that it isn't already big), and I think all these collaborations are a part of it. Honestly, I'm beginning to think they may try their hand at another Western release sometime in the near future
and personally I hope it's for the arcade game rather than a console game because I'm selfish lol

It looks like I should finally just accept that I'm no good at rhythm games. I still can't beat more than half the oni songs in 3ds2. Then, I finally played the arcade version again for the first time in about 10 months, and I can't even play high tier hard songs on that...

I feel like in every other game genre, I can just become good with practice, but maybe not having grown up on these types of games really impaired me. It's weird, because I can play real instruments just fine, but I never did learn percussion ones. Hmm.

I really wouldn't sweat it, it sounds like you've just hit a bit of a wall, which a lot of rhythm games have. There was definitely a point where I was midway into Oni and had trouble gaining any further traction. Just keep playing songs you enjoy and you'll keep making progress.

But to try to offer better help, what's your playstyle like now? Are you switching hands? What patterns give you the most trouble?

Aizo

Banned
I switch hands, but I've noticed that certain patterns cause me to get mixed up and rely on my right.
I usually get mixed on dkk and kdd. Also, damn songs that have inconsistent rhythms or charts I don't believe make sense really mess me up. 3ds2's Only My Note makes no sense to me after about 20 seconds in. It isn't hard, but I can't follow the rhythm.

Alpha_eX

Grats on getting the pro-controller, it has really changed the game for me, so much more enjoyable, an absolute pleasure to play. My taiko teacher hates it to bits though...

I advise getting some nice polished wooden bachi and you really don't need to hit it hard at all, play gentle and you'll be a lot better/faster as a result. So much energy wasted hitting hard.

Also, turn the hit sounds off as they're really distracting, the pro controller makes a really nice sound.

I switch hands, but I've noticed that certain patterns cause me to get mixed up and rely on my right.
I usually get mixed on dkk and kdd. Also, damn songs that have inconsistent rhythms or charts I don't believe make sense really mess me up. 3ds2's Only My Note makes no sense to me after about 20 seconds in. It isn't hard, but I can't follow the rhythm.

If you have either of them unlocked, Ura Taiko Time and Ura Ridge Racer are both very good for practicing patterns. They have consistent, manageable rhythm and lots of varied patterns. Ridge Racer may be better because it's slower, and it's in V Version so you can do it in practice mode, meaning you don't need to worry about passing, and you can even redo parts over and over or slow it down. But yeah, take note that they ARE 10 and 9 star songs, respectively.

... sorry for the kind of difficult suggestions, they're sorta the ones that come to me first, lol. I'll see if I can think of any easier ones for practicing dkk and kdd.

Grats on getting the pro-controller, it has really changed the game for me, so much more enjoyable, an absolute pleasure to play. My taiko teacher hates it to bits though...

I advise getting some nice polished wooden bachi and you really don't need to hit it hard at all, play gentle and you'll be a lot better/faster as a result. So much energy wasted hitting hard.

Also, turn the hit sounds off as they're really distracting, the pro controller makes a really nice sound.

I've put myself together a little arcade-esque setup for my Pro Controller, and it's waaaay better than any experience I've had playing on drum on a home version before. It's really great, and I keep wanting to go back and play more even when I have other things to do lol

Yeah I've been using the stock bachi thus far, and they're better than the stock Tatacon ones, but they're still pretty unwieldy and I really do need to find myself some wooden bachi soon. Hoping I'll see my play get a lot better when I do, but I've already managed to pass a 10 star song on Pro Controller, so I'm pretty proud of myself for that lol
admittedly it was honey heartbeat but still

I noticed pretty quickly that having both the sound of the drum and the hitsound play can throw off your rhythm a lot, so I've been playing with headphones and it's very helpful, but that also sounds like a good solution if headphones aren't a convenient option. But yeah, thanks for all the advice! I've been slowly but surely trying to get a hang of this thing, lol. But I'm really happy with what I've got going so far!

Apologies for the double post, but details about the next Taiko Team livestream have been announced, and they include discussion of a brand new Taiko game (as in not the im@s one). Safe money is on the third Wii U game, but who really knows, given what an unusual year this has already been for the series. Maybe it's a PS4 game! Maybe it's a 3DS game! Maybe it's yet another Vita game since you're already putting 3 out this year what harm could another do

3/4 Taiko games (depending on how you qualify the im@s ones) in one year is pretty crazy. Reminds me of the PS2 days. Feels like I'm being spoiled, lol. This year rules, never any lack of cool new rhythm games to play!

edit: spoiler alert it's a wii u game, lol. the wii u3 subdomain was just reserved, much like it is for all games immediately preceding their announcement

So where do I get cheap drums for the Wii? I found some cheap ps2 ones but would rather get Wii ones.

The issue is that it's hard to come across Wii ones compared to PS2 ones due to there being a localized PS2 release and no Wii one. Shipping is really what makes up the price difference. The absolute cheapest Wii drum option would be a 3rd party brand, which you can pick up for under $30, but I've never given them a try. Can't imagine they'd work particularly well. Official ones run around $30, but shipping basically doubles the price. Amazon US actually has them in stock right now for $50, which isn't too bad.

Aizo

Banned
When is the livestream? I want a wii u one with training mode! They probably won't do thay, though, because you'd have to use the controller.

Top Bottom