• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGom09

OP

Cloudbuilt.jpg
#43. Cloudbuilt (PC) -- September 8 -- 4:06:00 -- ★★☆☆☆
I wanted to like Cloudbuilt. I love the artstyle, I like the idea of an action speedrunning game, and the traversal mechanics are fun. Where it falters for me is in the level design and the inclusion of enemies. The levels are very busy which means it's difficult to even know which way to go at times. I get that you're supposed to find the correct path for subsequent playthroughs of each level, but I didn't find it enjoyable. The enemies are just annoying and kill any momentum you might have. They do things like shoot you with homing bullets from offscreen, wear impenetrable shields to prevent you from even hurting them, and ram you off ledges. When you get into a wallrunning zone, the game is fun, but overall, it's just frustrating.​

#44. Bastion (PC) -- September 10 -- 4:31:00 -- ★★★☆☆
Looks and sound great. The narrator is a cool touch even if his dynamic commentary is mostly an illusion. There's a good level of variety in your arsenal and upgrade paths, so it's easy to find a playstyle that suits you. The gameplay feels good, but I don't think it's super interesting. It's a pretty standard hack and slash game with a slightly finicky lock-on system for shooting. I can see why people regard this game so highly, but I didn't like it quite that much. Still had a good time.​

#45. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (PS3) -- September 12 -- 4:45:00 -- ★★★★☆
Surprisingly good game. The guns all pack a nice punch and there's a simple combo system that encourages you to take out enemies in quick succession. The levels are very linear, but they're well designed and nice to look at. Aside from some pop-in, it's a great looking game. The lighthearted story is presented by an unreliable narrator and this actually ties into the gameplay. The world will sometimes change around you as he remembers details or backpedals after coming under question. It's a clever idea that I don't think I've ever seen before. Simply put, it's a very fun game.​

jnWake

Main Post

Game #24. Box Boy! (3DS)
- Time played: 24:48 hours.
- Completion reached: Beat all levels and all challenges (
even reached S rank in all levels
).

Box Boy! is a simple puzzle platformer by HAL. You control Qbby, a box-shaped character that can spawn other boxes from his body to aid him. For example, if there's a high ledge you can create a box to use as a platform. It's a super simple premise but the developers were very creative with it.

The game is separated in worlds, which are collections of stages based around mainly one gimmick. Each world has 6-8 levels where this gimmick is introduced in a simple way and then is used in more complex ways. Each level also has a collectible crown that you can get if you're efficient in box usage when solving puzzles. At first, levels are super easy and you'll get crowns without any effort but the game can become pretty challenging near the end.

Overall, I really liked the game. The box premise is simple but used in fun ways. Difficulty level is good enough to keep you interested and the game has some optional challenges that are very very hard. Recommended!

Game #25. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
- Time played: 95:15 in 2014, 16:08 in 2015. Total playtime: 111:32 hours.
- Completion reached: Got 3 stars in every cup (200 cc) and beat every staff ghost in time trials. Also, lots of online play.

I don't think much description is needed here. Mario Kart 8 is the latest installment of the longrunning Mario Kart franchise. The game came out last year and then I played many hours online with GAFfers. Later, DLC tracks came in November 2014 and May this year. However, by that time I had moved on to other online games like Smash (Nov.) and Splatoon (May). This past month I decided to finish the single player content for the DLC tracks!

So, what can I say? Mario Kart 8 is a very fun game. It introduces a new mechanic: antigravity. While it seems just cosmetic at first, there are some slight gameplay differences when racing in antigravity mode. The presentation in this game is awesome: music is top notch and the graphics are beautiful. 200cc is a new racing speed added in the May DLC and it's simply ridiculous. The speed is hard to control at first and some tracks aren't that fun to run in 200cc (never gonna touch Neo Bowser City again), but it's a fun addition to the game.

MK8 is a great game and is totally recommended, especially for multiplayer (both local and online).

zuAmkrv.png

18:04h. Completed game in Komaru mode at a very leisurely pace
and read through Ultra Despair Hagakure
. I was surprised by this game. I was expecting a fun shooter in the Danganronpa verse and I got Rule of Rose with robot bears and megaphone guns.

Don't get me wrong, UDG is a Danganronpa game indeed - full of the surreal humor and creepiness that made the series famous. But it's also a survival horror game, full of pink gore and funky despair, that tackles some of the most adult themes in the series, like child abuse, rape and molestation, and the double standards of some adults. Highly recommended - just make sure you know what you're getting.

Updated OP

jiggles

Banned
Games 1 - 20
Games 21-39
Games 40+

Game 41: Lara Croft Go
lara-croft-gow1r11.jpg

This was a delightful little surprise. I haven't played Hitman Go because I've never been that into the franchise, and while I'm also not that in to Tomb Raider, hearing people rave about this on the Giant Bombcast prompted me to pick it up. I was playing on an iPad Mini 3, and it ran fine for the most part, but I'm not sure I can vouch for older iPad models, as there were a few hitches here and there. The isometric turn-based nature of it is a perfect fit for iPad, and there were some intelligent puzzles designed within it's tiny little ruleset. The main gripes I had were that there wasn't any room for experementation and exploration, and it was maybe a little too easy. It ended just as it felt like it was about to kick it up a gear. Still, I'd welcome a sequel or DLC episodes, and I'll probably look to pick up Hitman Go off the back of this. Great stuff.
If you like Monument Valley, you'll like this

Game 42: Until Dawn
pic6-smalldho5n.jpg

Another real surprise, this. In the whole pre-release cycle, I figured this just wouldn't work. It seemed like it was relying too heavily on trying to scare the characters instead of the player. Even in the demos that were shown, I really wasn't feeling it. But, my god, when you're playing it, it's just instantly engaging. A bunch of sexy teens with their sexy sexual tensions in a classic screamer. They fucking nailed it. The atmosphere, sound design, visuals. It's magnificent. They were a little too on-the nose with the whole "Butterfly Effect" mechanics, and the framerate sometimes dipped so low as to be distracting (thankfully inconsequential to gameplay, though). But it's a great performance by a great cast and although it's far from perfect, everybody should play this through at least once. Easily the best "interactive movie" the world has ever seen. And Chris is a ballbag.
If you like Scream or The Cabin in the Woods you'll like this[/QUOTE]

Labadal

Games #1-20
Games #21-40

Game 41: STASIS - 9 hours
PC

Very solid, isometric adventure game. The puzzles were on the right level when it comes to difficulty. I had to look up two things. The atmosphere is great. While there aren't really many jump scare moments, the game feels oppressive throughout the entire story. I suspected some things about some characters, and they turned out to be true. Audio is also solid, with my only real complaint being Te'ah, her voice actress did nothing for me. The writing is solid, although, some things, I have a negative view on. I also liked the datalogs scattered throughout the game.

Game 42: Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara - ? hours
PS3

Played this with my brother and cousin. Just good old fun arcade action with your characters getting levels between levels.

Game 43: Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom - ? hours
PS3

Played this with my brother and cousin. Just good old fun arcade action with your characters getting levels between levels.

Game 44: Fallout 2 - 55 hours
PC

I might not love the combat, but everything else about this game is great. One of the best role playing games that I have played.

45. Great Permutator - 6 hours
PC

Puzzle game with some mind bending puzzles that has you move stuff on conveyor belts.

46. Fallout Tactics - 40 hours
PC

This game was a reload fest. It doesn't even compare to Fallout 1 or 2, but it was still an okay game. If you like the combat system that the Fallout games offer, then you should play it. Otherwise, it isn't really worth it. I'm not even a fan of the combat in this game, but I want to be able to say that I am done with this.

Game 47: Antharion - 36 hours
PC

Turn-based rpg with focus on building up your characters' skills and attributes. Finding cool and better items as you quest through big dungeons or in the wilderness. Kill, persuade, barter, pick pocket, lock pick, create potions, identify items or put points in foraging to find more loot or points in lore to find hidden passages. I made 4 custom classes, two handed guy, black mage/archer, gray mage/white mage and a sword and board fighter.
The story is nothing to write home about, but then again the game doesn't take itself all too seriously.
There aren't many tracks, but what's in there is decent. I only wish the tracks were a bit longer.

The environments feel samey for a long part of the game, but you end up in swamps, fiery caves and snowy landscapes. The exploration part and building up your characters is the most fun part of the game. These two aspects of the game raises above decent to very good.

Game 48: 1954 Alcatraz - 5 Hours
PC

Adventure game set in the 1950's. The story is about husband and a wife, trying to get the man out of the prison. It has decent writing, solid soundtrack, nice backgrounds and fairly challenging puzzles that should be possible to complete without much headache. I'd say that this would be a decent entry game if you are interested in trying out the genre.

Game 49: Yakuza 2 - 18 hours
PS2

I replayed this classic SEGA game in preparation for Yakuza 5. I don't have much to say about it, other than, it is my second favorite game in the series. Fun but sometimes infuriating combat. The camera in the PS2 Yakuza games is a bit annoying, but it isn't game breaking or anything. I like the soundtrack and I love the characters.

Game 50: Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - 35 hours
3DS

I got this via the Ambassador program and thought to myself that I have to beat it at some point. That's why I decided early this month that I would have it done by the end of October. I'm not a super huge fan of the characters or the story, but I like the maps and combat.

Game 51: Face Noir - 5 hours
PC

I was hoping for a solid detective adventure game but it falls flat in every aspect. Just skip this game.

Game 52: Wild ARMS 2 - 62 hours
PS3 (PS1 classic)

Not as enjoyable as Wild ARMS 1 or 3 but still entertaining enough to get through it all and do all the side content. The localization is terrible, which is the biggest negative. Regular mob fights are very easy, but the bosses are challenging and fun. The skill system is fun, and the music was great. A game with very distinct pros and cons. I still recommend the game if people enjoy turn-based role playing games and they don't have anything else on their plate.

Game 53: The Age of Decadence - 14 hours
PC

A game that should offer players o lot of choice and consequence. I played a non-combat character on my first run and had a lot of fun doing so. I started out as a merchant but soon ended up betraying them and then betraying my new masters, only to rejoin the merchant guild and betray them yet again. There have been complaints about difficult combat and a slow paced game in general. I can't comment much on the combat, but the pace is really solid. Steam says that it took me 14 hours, but I'm guessing 11,5 hours was me actually playing the game. The replay value should be really solid after reading up on how other players chose to move on in the game. One of my GOTY candidates.

Game 54: Never Alone - 5 hours
PS4

Atmospheric platfromer that tells a story about a girl trying to save her village. It isn't super complex, but the setting and the overall atmosphere is probably what was in focus here. Decent controls with some puzzles here and there.

Game 55: Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures - 12 hours
PC

Episodic Point & Click adventure game with decent humor and fairly simple puzzles. I like the main characters you play as and the game is charming in general. No pretending to give the player choices that will carry over to new episodes, just straightforward adventuring.

Game 56: Pixel Puzzles 2: Anime - 20 hours
PC
Jigsaw puzzle game that I play when I just want to listen to some music and wind down.

Game 57: King's Quest: A Knight to Remember - 6 hours
PS4

I actually like this adventure game more than the TellTale ones because there is actually more focus on controlling your character and doing stuff. It doesn't feel like an interactive movie. I liked this episode but I probably would not have played it if it wasn't offered via PS+. Nice soundtrack, good voice acting and very beautiful world. The puzzles aren't overly complicated and you get to restart from close to where you died if you fail.

62QGlD3.png

30h-ish. No bonus dungeons, but took the time to get all three Treasures. And with this we reach the end of Erdrick's trilogy. Now I understand why the japanese fans fawned over this game when it was released for the NES. It seems impossible that such a vast, complex game was released in 1988, and the last third of the game and the reveal at the end (while somewhat trite now) was probably nuts at the time.

Gameplay wise, the game is noticeably easier than DQ2, perhaps better balanced, and while it doesn't hold your hand, the plot is easy to follow and it's harder to get lost, thanks mostly to several QoL improvements (early ship, the
Everbird
). All in all makes DQ3 a very pleasant, "modern" experience: if you can only play one of the first three DQs, play this one.

Updated OP

chrixter

Main post

#45: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 74 hours
Perhaps my most paradoxical gaming experience ever. MGSV is simultaneously one of the most addicting yet one of the most flawed games I've ever played. It offers an ambitious stealth action toolset and some of the most dynamic sandbox design to date, yet its AI is so easily exploited that I rarely felt compelled to do anything other than tranq/CQC + fulton (which was still fun). I generally enjoyed the plot and always looked forward to the next cutscene... until the game's profoundly disappointing ending soured me on the story as a whole. But although the story was ultimately unsatisfying, the core gameplay loop was so engaging that the journey still feels worth it. There are so many things to appreciate and criticize here that I don't even know if I can give it a score. Overall I feel mostly positive about the game, but I still need to let this one sink in for a long time.

watdaeff4

Updated:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=170721437&postcount=1889

43. Gears of War Ultimate Edition (XB1)
Completed main story (8/30/15): TIme 8 hours
Rating 4/5
Brought back great memories. Loved Gears 1 and 2 (haven't played the others yet).
Have put in another 10 to 12 hours in MP. MP is kinda frustrating at times, esp compounded when you are not that good, but getting a gill in this MP is much more satisfying compared to most other MP games.

44. Lunar Jetman - Rare Replay (XB1)
Completed all milestones and snapshots (8/31/15): Time 1.5 hours
Rating 2/5
Not that fun of a game to be honest. I liked Jetpac much more. "Fixing" the lunar surface to drive could be frustrating

45. Cobra Triangle - Rare Replay (XB1)
Completed all milestones and snapshots (8/31/15): 2-3 hours
Rating 3/5
Fun game. Brought back classic 8-bit NES memories. Like many of the older Rare Replay games, I doubt I could have beaten this without cheats on.

46. Atic Atac - Rare REplay (XB1)
Completed all milestones and snapshots (9/2/15): 3 hours
Rating 2/5
It's an okay game. Kept getting lost (which is part of the game) otherwise you could probably complete this in about an 1 hour.

47. Forza Horizon 2: Storm Island (XB1)
Completed main game (9/11/15): 10 hours
Rating 5/5
Loved FH2 and really loved this content. I haven't been counting DLC (e.g. Valley of the Yetis or Batgirl: Arkham Knight DLC) separate from the 'main' games, but am making an exception for this as there is so much content. I enjoyed these races more than the "mainstream" FH2.

48. Madden 16 (XB1)
Rating 5/5
Won Super Bowl and Draft Champions mode (9/14/15): 16 hours+
Best Madden I've played in years. The tweaks and nuances they added to the game really help out.

49. Sabre Wulf - Rare Replay (XB1)
Rating 2/5
Completed all milestones and snapshots (9/14/15): 3 hours
Another "older" Rare Replay game I would not have completed without the cheats on. This is another game that I could have probably completed in an hour if I didn't get lost so much.

Down to my final 3. The next one is The Walking Dead (Season 1). I've completed the first two episodes so only 3 more to go. I really enjoyed the Wolf Among Us, but am not finding this as enjoyable so far. Opinions and all that.....

After that it's up in the air, but my last two will come down to likely something out of Forza 6, MGSV, ESO or Scholar of the First Sin. The first three I've already made varying amount of progress on so I'll probably keep playing them.

Original post

xY4I1WXl.png

48. Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3)
Completed on Normal except for two late-game battles on Easy.
Elle ending.

Though Final Fantasy X-2 is one of my favourite Final Fantasy games (possibly my top favourite), the concept of a fanservice-heavy direct sequel makes more sense for the Tales franchise, which has always been a lighter, more joyful franchise. (I'm using fanservice in the "see all your favourite characters again doing wacky things together" sense, not the "boobs and ass" sense.) Xillia 2 delivers in spades, and much quicker than I expected. It doesn't take very long before the old gang from Xillia 1 is back together, and even though there's a whole new cast of characters, they almost feel like sideshows. This is especially true of the protagonist, Ludger, who is almost literally a blank slate.

As Tales games go, Xillia 2 seems solid but also retreads familiar ground. While some will rightfully see this as overuse of old assets, I'm more forgiving of this sort of thing. To me, the interesting thing about these kinds of sequels is seeing the world and its characters evolve, and Xillia 2 does some interesting (if not exactly novel) things here. But at the same time, Xillia 2 falls into all of the same old Tales traps. It's too fond of its fantasy-technobabble, though thankfully you don't have to unwrap any nonsense on the level of Fields of Fonons and Fon Masters and whatnot. It often feels like a story whose potential complexity is cut down for the enjoyment of younger kids, especially during some of the side stories. And ultimately the story involves some greater power casting a final judgement on humanity and daring humans to prove otherwise.

Ultimately, I think what saves this game for me is Elle, one of the few new characters that makes an impact. Tales games have always had a kid as one of the main characters, and Elize was surprisingly not-awful in Xillia 1. But Elle is maybe the first kid character in a Tales game I've actually liked. She's not particularly whiny, and she revels in giving other people shit when she feels like they're out of line. She's not so precocious that she comes off as a tiny adult, and she's not so childish that you wish the rest of the party would leave her behind.

Krafter

Boom, game 52 is official, challenge has been met for the 2nd straight year. Tried to finish said challenge on my birthday for dramatic effect, but I dropped out of beating The Cave. 2 straight playthroughs had fallen to corrupted save files about halfway through, eroding my patience with the matter. So, I finished #51 on my birthday instead, and #52 fell yesterday, and all is right with the world.

Game 50: Skullgirls Encore (PS3) - September 5 - 6 hours
Good, not great, fighter. I always appreciate hand drawn stuff over CG models. Terrific animations, both idling and in movement. Played through each girl's story line, Cerebella was my best but Valentine my favourite.

Game 51: Me and My Katamari (PSP) - September 11 - 7 hours
Ah, Katamari. The conversion to handheld had some growing pains to get used to in the controls, and there is not a ton of content here, but everything else is Katamari perfection: gameplay (in the truest sense of the word), music, the King of all Cosmos and general Katamari insanity. Another fabulous entry in a fabulous series.

Game 52: The Swapper (PS4) - September 14 - 5 hours
Really Superb puzzler in an oppressive, alienating, borderline-horror atmosphere. Dead quiet save for the sounds of technology for most of the game, very reminiscent of Alien. Minimalist narrative opens things up to an endless supply of questions, almost from the very outset. I was enthralled from the start, a highly recommended game.

Original Post

Game 1: Counterspy- 3 Hours
Game 2: The Evil Within- 16 Hours

I've never played Res Evil 4 and people compare these two, but I loved this game and I'm excited for Res Evil 4 because of that reason.

Game 3: Minecraft- 24+ Hours
Game 4: Battlefield Hardline- 24+ Hours
Game 5: Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare- 20+ Hours
Game 6: Far Cry 4- 39 Hours
Game 7: Dying Light- 21 Hours
Game 8: Half Life 2- 14 Hours

This game is not over-hyped by any means. It surpassed my expectations and took a place in my favorite shooters of all time.

Game 9: Infamous First Light- 4 Hours
Game 10: Metro Last Light Redux- 11 Hours
Game 11: Little Big Planet 3- 6 Hours
Game 12: Destiny: The Dark Below- ??? Hours
Game 13: Shrek 2- 6 Hours

Me and my girlfriend played a lot of co-op games throughout the year but this one was by far our worst choice. It was still fun though, I just can't believe we didn't quit.

Game 14: Prince of Persia Sands of Time- 9 Hours
My favorite game of the year.

Game 15: Red Dead Redemption- 20 Hours
Game 16: Uncharted 1- 8 Hours
Game 17: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes- 2 Hours
Game 18: Rayman Legends- 11 Hours
Game 19: Resident Evil Revelations 2- 10 Hours
Game 20: Borderlands 2- 45 Hours

Best Co-op game I played all year besides dying light.

Game 21: Wolfenstein the New Order- 13 Hours
Game 22: TT The Walking Dead Season 1- 12 Hours
Game 23: Grim Fandango Remastered- 10 Hours
Game 24: Uncharted 2- 12 Hours
Game 25: Simpson's Hit n' Run- 11 Hours

If you remember liking this game as a child and you're thinking of playing through it: don't. This game is the essence of garbage, from the mission variety to the lack of separate levels later in the game.

Game 26: Mirror's Edge- 7 Hours
Game 27: Batman Arkham Knight- 20 Hours
Game 28: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel- 22 Hours
Game 29: The Walking Dead Season 2- 9 Hours
Game 30: Rocket League- 64+ Hours

I'm a big Halo fan, or at least I was, and I was never expecting I'd get my ranked team slayer fix from a car-soccer game I got for free on PS4.

Game 31: Vanquish- 7 Hours
Game 32: Doom 3- 12 Hours
Game 33: Uncharted 3- 9 Hours
Game 34: Starfox: Assault- 6 Hours
Game 35: Psychonauts- 13 Hours
Game 36: LIMBO- 4 Hours
Game 37: Destiny House of Wolves- ??? Hours
Game 38: Little Big Planet 1- 9 Hours
Game 39: Hotline Miami- 7 Hours

This game was so damn frustrating. I see why a lot of you like it, but I'd never return.

Game 40: Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris- 6 Hours
Game 41: Grow Home- 4 Hours
Game 42: Pariah- 6 Hours

This was an obvious half-life clone that was forgettable in almost every way. However, the ending to this game made the experience worth it, I'd never seen anything like it.

Game 43: The Wolf Among Us- 9 Hours
Game 44: The Order 1886- 8 Hours
Game 45: Tiny Brains- 2 Hours
Game 46: DarkWatch- 8 Hours
Game 47: Never Alone- 5 Hours
Game 48: Ultimate Alliance- 13 Hours

About 6 hours longer than it needed to be. I need more X-men Legends.

Game 49: Metal Gear Solid V- 48 Hours
The ending to this game is pretty much non-existent but this is easily the best game (in terms of gameplay alone) ever made. Nice job, Kojima.

Game 50: Shovel Knight- 8 Hours
Game 51: Gears of War- 9 Hours
Game 52: Sniper Elite 3- 9 Hours
Game 53: Shadow of the Colossus- 8 Hours
Game 54: Fallout 4- 67 Hours
Game 55: Soul Calibur IV- 3 Hours
Game 56: Until Dawn- 10 Hours
Game 57: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood- 7 Hours
Game 58: Gauntlet (PS4)- 7 Hours
Game 59: Tales from the Borderlands- 9 Hours
Game 60: Killzone Shadowfall- 10 Hours

This was just alright. Not a fitting end to such a great year for me.

Spyware

header.jpg

09-01-15 - Game 71: LUME - 20-ish minutes?
I'm pretty confused that this is sold as a game. I feels more like a demo. They mention it being part 1 of a larger story but it's just... really, really short (for the price at least). I also didn't enjoy the puzzles.

header.jpg

09-02-15 - Game 72: The Old City: Leviathan - 1 and a half hour
I think I got some of what it was trying to say about the biblical stuff, modernism, existentialism and all that stuff... but I simply didn't find any of it interesting. Kept playing just to see all the eye candy because this game is really pretty. "Walking Simulators" often are tho, and I don't really it's not worth trekking through this for the visuals only.

VJSnaey.png

09-06-15 - Game 73: Pokémon Platinum - 117 hours
Worst. Nuzlocke. Ever.
A game often named the hardest to nuzlocke, and I hade the brilliant idea to make it way harder. I couldn't use Pokémon that resisted a gym's type and I couldn't use any super effective moves at all. I'm surprised I even got through it.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game 35
Final Fantasy Type 0
PS4, 50-ish hours

Great game. Didn;t make the best transition from the PSP but I still love it. Looking forward to Agito+

Dryk

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Game #56: Star Wars: Dark Forces: 11.3 hours
Well this was a pleasant surprise. I know that shooters from this era tend to hold up after playing Doom and Wolfenstein but since it comes from the end of the era this one is the most refined I've played. It's not perfect, the auto-aim can be a bit inconsistent and look up/down are on buttons by default but it plays really well.

Graphics are about as clean as a sprite based FPS can be, most of the enemy types are different colours so it's easy to tell them apart from a distance. Sound design is great and even though the music is just MIDI versions of the Star Wars soundtrack that goes a long way. Level design is overall good, there's a lot of stuff going on and each of the 14 odd levels is pretty unique even if some of them are a pain in the butt to navigate. There are a few spots where cheap platforming sections killing me and forcing me to start the level over got on my nerves but those largely disappear by the end of the game so my final impressions were good.

Weapon variety is... interesting. Overall the weapons (of which there are 10 including melee) are very good for reasons I'll get into a second but there's a lot of redundancy. The mines and grenade launcher are limited only really useful for fighting Dark Troopers (think Terminators) and there's several different kinds of blaster weapon with two ammo pools between them that aren't all that different from each other. Also what at first glance appears to be a sniper rifle fires shots that produce a giant blue anti-personnel explosion and uses the same ammo pool as some of the blasters again, so once you obtain the plasma gun with a rocket launcher secondary fire it can be a bit redundant.

Mostly I just stuck with the standard blaster rifle which stays strong enough to carry you through the whole game and what quickly became my favourite: the thermal detonators. The grenades in this game are better than I ever expected from a game this old. The blast radius and damage are solid, you can hold the button down for throwing distance ranging from carefully tossing it slightly in-front of you (or down a pit) to ditching them across a cavern and they have both timed and impact detonation modes making them very versatile. The best part though, is that they give you plenty of them on most levels, and you can carry FIFTY at a time. There's one level mostly populated by the Gran grenadier enemies which very quickly devolves into nothing but grenade fights as you run out of ammo for everything else it's amazing.

Midn1ght

Update :
Game #18: Outlast
75v1tjq.png

Rating: ★★★☆☆ - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Red Barrels Studio
I enjoyed Outlast and had my fair share of scary moments with it but I found the gameplay boring after a few hours and using the camera to walk in the dark a little bit annoying. I also enjoyed the 2 last locations of the game more than all the others. Great atmosphere tho and some brilliant music during key moments. Not bad overall.

Main Post

Lynx_7

I'm not sure I remember every game I've played this year, but I'll give it a try.

1.Catherine (PS3)
Got this one at a sale and thoroughly enjoyed it. Just like previous Persona Team games, the things I enjoyed the most here were the premise, characters and (lots of) atmosphere. I expected the gameplay to be more of a burden than a joy, but was pleasantly surprised to see that not only did I really like it, I also immensely looked forward to it whenever I was near the end of each "story session". Beat it at Normal difficulty.

2.The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
Very late to the party with this one. Yes, this was actually the first time I've played the Wind Waker to completion, and I'm glad I waited for the HD remaster. I tried the GC version before, and I absolutely hated the sailing mechanics, which made exploring the world a chore. Here, though, the new sail offers a much smoother experience that not only makes me appreciate the exploration a lot more, but also bumped it a few positions on my personal Zelda rankings. As far as dungeons and bosses go it's still the weakest link in the 3D franchise, though I like it a bit better than Skyward Sword, but that's it. OoT and TP remain better games imo.

3. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
This one was in order to get up to date before I played MGS V. It's a fun game, but way too simplified and just not up to the same standards as every other game of the main franchise.

4. Dragon Quest V
Absolutely great, and sits proudly right alongside the best SMT and FF titles for me. It's just one of those games I grew really attached to the longer I played it. The attention to little details with the party chat mechanic, the charming NPCs that populate the world and makes it feel alive, the soundtrack, the monster recruitment, the battle system, this game just does most things right and remains one of the most effective and touching coming-of-age stories of videogames in general.

5.Final Fantasy IV
Great pacing and soundtrack, nice difficulty, cool setpieces and locations, some good dungeons and just an overall really solid entry. Although it doesn't do anything particularly better than any of the better entries of FF canon, it also doesn't do anything wrong, which makes it one of the most consistent games of the franchise and well deserved of its status as a classic

6. Dragon Warrior I (GBC)
A nice, simple old-school jrpg. For people curious to see the game that started it all, I recommend checking this one as it's a fairly short experience (provided you follow a walkthrough).

7.Dragon Warrior II (GBC)
I still haven't beaten this one and I'm not sure I will, but I played it enough to form an opinion, so here it goes: although a step forward for its time, it just really doesn't have any novelty factor unlike its older brother and all that's left is a fairly obtuse, archaic rpg. IMO, the weakest Dragon Quest game and the only one I'd say I didn't really enjoy playing.

8. Uncharted: Drake's Deception
Another case of being late to the party. It's got a very cool popcorn blockbuster, indiana jones kind of vibe going for it, with some charismatic characters and solid gameplay and setpieces. Having said that, enemy encounters are too repetitive and sometimes aggravating, the shooting mechanics are nothing special by themselves and the "platforming" is barely substantial enough to be considered a gameplay mechanic, though it adds some nice flavor. Good game, but not great. Hoping for the 2nd one to be as good as people say.

9. Demon's Souls
It says a lot of Miyazaki's talent as a developer that even after two (three?) spiritual sequels which saw many improvements to the formula, this game still holds up so, so incredibly well. In some cases, I'd even say it surpasses its successors, such as the superb atmosphere and my favorite Souls area of all time, both design and atmosphere-wise: tower of latria. I may just prefer the first DkS by just a tiny little bit as a whole, but I suspect that had I played this one first, it would have been my favorite of the franchise. It really deserves some sort of remaster for the PS4/PC.

10. Bloodborne

Another superb effort by the man himself, Bloodborne is probably the only instance of Lovecraftian cosmic horror done right in the videogame medium that I know of. Unfortunately, the late-game twist got spoiled to me before I could experience the madness by myself, but nevertheless it was still a fantastic experience with some of the best bosses I've ever fought (as far as "Souls" bosses goes, the ones here are probably the best). Either the best or second best game of the year depending on the DLC.

11. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Such a lust for- oh, fuck it. My favorite game (or second favorite) of the year so far and an outstanding stealth game, probably the best as far as gameplay goes. I don't really care that the story didn't meet my personal expectations or whatever, because the core experience here is just so solid that I can't help but play it for hours on end whenever I boot it up. You did good, Kojima. Now go focus your efforts on other projects, working under better publishers. You deserve it.

There are more, but I've written too much already. I'll continue some other time.

Dr. Buni

Original post

#50 - Pikmin 2

Bb2IQII.png

This game is much easier and relaxing than the first. The 30 days limit is gone and when inside the caves, the time limit is gone as well. Aside from that, monsters die really fast, thanks to the Purple Pikmin. I only struggled a bit against Empress Bulblax and Waterwraith. I think I prefer the first game by a considerable margin, but Pikmin 2 is amazing too. Lastly, Bulbmin is adorable!

Dr. Buni

Apologies for the double post, but I just completed the challenge. It was a really fun challenge and thanks to it, I finished a lot of games I was procrastinating for years :D

Original post

#51 - Ico

U8ZsLxt.png

I decided to finally finish this game, because maybe it would entertain me more than the first time I played it, not so long after I finished Shadow of the Colossus... And unfortunately, my opinion on the game hasn't changed at all. I find it really boring.

#52 - Pac-Man World 2

uQgUcUr.png

First time I played a Pac-Man platforming game and I enjoyed quite a bit. In my opinion, it is an average game, if compared to many other 3D platformers, but what matters is that I had fun with it!

Labadal

Games 1-20
Games 21-40
Games 41-

45. Great Permutator - 6 hours
PC

Puzzle game with some mind bending puzzles that has you move stuff on conveyor belts.

46. Fallout Tactics - 40 hours
PC

This game was a reload fest. It doesn't even compare to Fallout 1 or 2, but it was still an okay game. If you like the combat system that the Fallout games offer, then you should play it. Otherwise, it isn't really worth it. I'm not even a fan of the combat in this game, but I want to be able to say that I am done with this.

Drayco21

Original Post: Here
More Up-To-Date Imgur Gallery: Here

Game #41- Watchmen: The End is Nigh
OTd3K7z.png

Rating: ★★
Platform: PS3
Beaten: August 28th
Time: Roughly 4 hours

There's something weirdly profane about making a generic, downloadable beat 'em up based on Watchmen, but for what it is, this ended up being a pretty alright time. It's set in the movie canon, and follows Rorschach and Nite Owl's time as partners before the Keene Act's passing, plus it came as a bonus alongside my copy of the blu-ray for the film. There's not a whole lot of depth to the combat; you can basically just counter every enemy in the game all day long, and there's only a handful of combos, which leads to a relatively mashy couple of hours through chapters just long enough to overstay their welcome. It's interesting how differently Rorschach and Nite Owl end up playing; Rorschach being more based on leaping from enemy to enemy like a pinball of death and stealing weapons from enemies, and Nite Owl focusing on single target damage with more discipline as he builds meter to clear rooms with AOE stuns, and there some actually really well done animations that capture the feel of the characters and the style (of the movie versions anyway) really well. Unfortunately, it's also wrapped up in a not great performing game- it gets really framey at times, and at least one chapter had extended areas that just ran consistently poorly enough to feel wrong, and there ends up being a lot of janky character movement, behavior and interactions. The story tries to do some interesting things, highlighting The Comedian's involvement with the Watergate Scandal never breaking out in this timeline and what exactly caused Rorschach and Nite Owl to split up their partnership before the events of Watchmen itself, but overall, those ideas are wrapped up in a mediocre script and a forgettable game that, while an okay if forgettable experience in co-op, is clearly no Alan Moore work, and as unfair as that may sound, it's impossible to divorce the expectations set by the graphic novel from the products following in it's wake: it overshadowed the Snyder film, it left Before Watchmen cold, and it makes this otherwise just okay downloadable title just seem all the more off.

Game #42- Jak II
7yBfg3z.png

Rating: ★
Platform: PS3 (via HD Collection)
Beaten: September 8th
Time: 26:32

I'm going to get flak for this opinion, but I think Jak II might be the worst time I've had playing a video game ever. I really enjoyed Ratchet and Sly back on the PS2, but never got around to the Jak series, but a friend is a huge advocate of it, so I thought I'd give it a fair shake on the HD Collection, and I really, really enjoyed The Precursor Legacy. Unfortunately, it's followed up by this awful feeling, janky mishmash of parts from better games and pumped full of edgy 'tude to look cooler. Mechanically, there's almost nothing redeeming here- I can't stand the way a single vehicle handles, and I hate the way the city is designed (especially in regards to the feeling of driving in it), the shooting feels primitive and sub-par, the checkpoints are awful, the level design is uninspired and bland, the points where they try and change things up like levels in mech suits or race challenges just feel bad, and almost every mission felt like a boring chore to complete- the only times the game shined was when there was just some raw platforming sequences, like in the Tomb of Mar, but those are few and far between, and usually sandwiched around some awful boss battle or shooting gallery sequence.

From the story perspective, I kinda wanted to skip every single cutscene and piece of dialogue, and that's something I never do. Jak is an overly edgy shit that acts like a huge prick to every single character in the game, often for no reason, and comes across as one of the least sympathetic characters I've had to play as in a game. Daxter is one of the most annoying characters I've listened to- he's never funny, he's always obnoxious, and he's constantly talking (though, the exact one time Jak congratulates him for winning a race is probably the one time Jak comes across as an okay guy,so I'll give him credit for that), most of the mission givers come across as scumbags and it's actually really not clear why Jak continued working with people like Krew for very long. Sig and Torn seemed okay, but weren't around very much, and the writing everywhere was pretty bad.

Apparently the game realized what a low opinion I had with it too, because it decided to render my save totally unplayable- around 60% of the way in, I fell through a wall and got stuck under the floor until I died and reloaded the checkpoint, only to still be trapped under the floor at the start and unable to proceed. Naturally, this autosaved over my save, leaving me shit out of luck. Undeterred, because Jak 3 does actually seem like a huge improvement I want to play and I can't bring myself to do so without finishing 2 first, a friend and I started it all over again this month and powered through the whole shitshow in a weekend. I know there's a lot of people who love this game, but honestly? It just felt like a really bad attempt to weld things that were popular in Grand Theft Auto and Ratchet and Clank on to something that was already good, and strip it of any character it had originally, to paint it into something "cool and edgy but still for kids that can't actually play GTA" and ended up with another Shadow the Hedgehog, and I can't say I'm not glad I won't have to put any more time into it again.

Game #43- Valiant Hearts: The Great War
jjAcKcb.png

Rating: ★★★★
Platform: PS4
Beaten: September 9th
Time: 8 Hours (?)

Valiant Hearts is the standard any educational game should be held to; as much a lesson in history as it is an engaging story and an entertaining game, Valiant Hearts follows a group of five characters on their journey across the various fronts of World War 1's war-torn Europe. It's a gorgeous looking game, and each of the characters end up being really compelling. The library of facts and information that you unlocked as you progressed did a great job of presenting things and teaching about an era of history that is largely overshadowed by the things that followed it, and it does so in a really unblinking way- Valiant Hearts does a fantastic job of honoring the men and women who went to war, without crossing the line of idolizing the idea of war itself; it's presented in all it's horrors, from the mustard gas, to the conditions of the trenches, to the human meat-grinder lines marched into walls of machine gun fire; Valiant Hearts is both a gorgeous looking and fantastically styled game, that really captures the feeling of the period. There's some jank to some of the puzzles, or at least, I felt like there was- like one where a shape needed to be recreated using levers and moving shapes,and I felt like I had nailed it, but it just wouldn't take, or trying to figure out which of the numerous numbers on a flag in the window were the numbers I actually needed to unlock a combination lock, but for the most part it stayed interesting and made sense. Plus, there's an action dedicated to petting the dog whenever you want, and that's a great thing to have in any game.

Game #44- Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus
0Wk46MW.png

Platform: Vita
Beaten: September 17th
Time: 10 Hours

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus is a game I wish was a better port than it is, because I had an absolute blast playing it, but it suffers from performance issues just bad enough that if I wasn't otherwise having a blast, I don't know that I'd be able to bring myself to keep playing it. It's effectively just a port of the PS3 version of Sigma 2, but with a few extra bits and pieces- most important is that they added back the gore that was in the original release, while the original Sigma rerelease turned it all into dumb purple mist because reasons or something. This still being Ninja Gaiden, the combat feels so damn good to perform- execution kills are consistently satisfying, counters never stop feeling good, figuring out new combos is a great time, and the three new characters, while lacking the depth of Ryu, all feel really fun to use. There's a bonus mission mode that lets you play as any of the characters in any costume and just kill a bunch of enemies for points, and it's a great, satisfying little time killing extra, perfect for a Vita game.

Unfortunately, there are also a number of chapters where the framerate feels like it's running in slow motion, and it really throws the whole experience off- it happens frequently enough to be an issue I would warn people about before going into the game, but not quite enough (and the drops aren't quite bad enough) to make it a complete mess- it's just not the ideal way I'd want to play it. There are a lot of times where the graphic quality just drops tremendously, which I would have assumed would be a smart trick to try and keep the performance better if the performance wasn't already not great. Also, some of the higher level missions in the extra mission mode are actually unwinnable- they're designed for co-op, which was removed from this port, but the difficulty was changed or adjusted to deal with it, which has the unfortunate side-effect of making two trophies and the Platinum unachievable. I don't just mean that as "these things are too hard, I can't do them so they must be impossible", I mean it as "these trophies have a 0.0% clear rating because no one has them unlocked because it is actually impossible".

And yet I'm still giving it a 4/5 rating, despite there being these huge performance issues, because I really, really enjoyed playing through the game. The 360 version is still the best Ninja Gaiden 2 experience, but I sure wish there was a more definitive port somewhere.

Game #45- X-COM: Enemy Unknown
pRP7Nu4.png

Platform: Xbox 360
Beaten: September 20, 2015
Time: 15 hours

X-COM is a game that would have never crossed my radar if it weren't for it's Giant Bomb game of the year presence, but I'm sure glad I gave it a shot anyway. I never got very deep into any SRPG, tactics game or similar tactical, turn-based strategy thing before this, and as a result, trying to play X-COM "pure" was a rewardingly punishing challenge, and I consistently took save-destroying setbacks that pushed my finishing this one back a couple years after my initial purchase. I'm sure that, as someone who doesn't play these kind of games ever, there's a lot of depth and nuance I'm missing, and it sounds like more old school fans are a little disappointed with some of the mechanics and the replayability, but as an entry level game, I was enthralled from start to finish every disastrous new attempt to stop the aliens. My winning game finally came in the save where I resolved to customize every soldier into another video game character, and a key element to winning was finally coming to understand how to effectively use the Sniper and Support classes- Ultimately, Quiet and Jim Raynor's sniper skills won me countless battles against Cyberdisks and Sectopods that otherwise destroyed whole games in the past, while Abobo, Geralt and Yukari cleaned house otherwise. Plus, my Psionic Volunteer ended up being Andrew Ryan, which was neat. RIP Cole Train, Doomguy, Liquid, Vergil, Master Chief and Nathan Drake, who gave their lives that the Alien menace may be stopped.

If I had any real critiques of the game, it's that there was a little weirdness with movement on the controller- sometimes I would move the stick to where I want the unit to go, and the cursor would keep going a little bit, or wouldn't quite go to the cover I was trying to make it stick to, and it lead to a number of units running into unsafe territory or wasting turns (it's actually what got poor Drake got killed), and I wish there was more customization options and variety for my soldiers, but overall I really, really enjoyed it. Now I really need to track down a copy of Enemy Within.

tav7623

Reserving this post for part 2 of my completion list, was in the process of updating my OG post and was told I had used the max number of words (I believe it was 24000 or something like that) so I'll be posting the rest of my progress (starting with game 35) here.

Part 1 (Games 1 - 34)

43/52

35. Rare Replay (played 26 of 30 games - est playtime 17hrs) - I had a hard time deciding how I was gonna tackle this as far as the 52 game challenge was concerned and I decided that since it was a compilation that I'd count it as one game, but given it's size (30 games) it be pretty hard to completely finish so I'm going with a split of the rules. I exceed 10 hrs of gameplay, playing all but 4 of the games and beating several(mostly the early Spectrum games plus Battletoad Arcade) of the games in the collection. All in all I enjoyed this "game" and will eventually try to play & beat every game included (especially Grabbed by Ghoulies, Battletoads, Banjo Kazooie, and both Perfect Dark games), but for now I am happy that I've experience most of what this game has to offer including a few of the unlockable mini documentaries & trailers.

36. WWE 2K16 (Finished 2K Showcase/story mode on 11/1/15 - est playtime 17 hrs) - It's been a very very long time since I played a wrestling game (2005's Smackdown vs. Raw, which I played a few weeks after it had come out over at a friends) and even longer since I bought one the week it came out (WWF Smackdown for the PS1) but seeing Stone Cold Steve Austin on the cover plus the selling points of having the largest roster (120) of wrestlers and the nostalgia of "reliving" Austin's reign over the WWF were enough to get me to purchase this game the week it came out. At first this game was very very frustrating to me (it seemed like ever couple of minutes there was a curse word coming out of my mouth) since I was more familiar with the more fun/arcade style found in the early WWF smackdown games but I kept at it and the more I played it (mainly through the 2K showcase/story mode) the more it grew on me. I've now gotten to the point where I decided to play a few online matches (though I ended up playing mostly against assholes who keep taunting me while on the ground and move so damn fast that not even a second after doing a reversal they hit me with another move essentially causing me to burn through my reversal meter) and am even contemplating trying out the my career & WWE Universe modes.

37. Assassin's Creed Unity (Finished 11/7/15 - playtime 21 hrs) - I've been a long time fan of the series (I've played pretty much every single one since the first one with the exception of the handheld entries, Chronicles: China, Brotherhood, Rogue, and Syndicate) so playing this game for me was a bit of a no brainer. Only problem was when it first came out I didn't own a "next gen" system or a powerful/good enough PC so I had to pass on it. Well a few months ago I picked up an Xbox One and one of the first games I got for the system was Unity. Now that I've finally played through it I can see why some didn't really care for the game when it came out. As for me, well, I thought it was alright, it imo wasn't as good as Black Flag or 2 (my 2 favorite entries in the series), but it wasn't as "bad" imo as 3 or Revelations. One of my favorite new additions that was introduced in this entry was the murder mystery side missions where you have to solve murder mysteries by finding clues/evidence and accuse the appropriate suspect.

38. Ultra Street Fighter IV (Finished 11/9/15 - playtime 10+hrs) - As a big time fan of fighting games I've pretty much played every iteration of Street Fighter IV with the exception of Ultra, that changed recently (last 2 months) when I got the game as part of the Humble Capcom Bundle. While it does have some new additions and alterations that (imo) make it a little bit better than the previous version it is still missing my favorite mode from the original release of Street Fighter IV, Theater Mode, which let you watch all the game's cutscenes that you've watched/unlocked.

39. Rise of the Tomb Raider (Finished 11/12/15 - playtime 20 hrs for 81% completion) - Like a few of the games I've played as part of this year's challenge Rise of the Tomb Raider belongs to a franchise that I've been a long time (since 1997, when Tomb Raider 2 came out) fan of. I know that some people don't really care for the 2013 reboot, but I absolutely loved it even though there were not many tombs to explore in the game and with Rise of the Tomb Raider Square Enix & Crystal Dynamics went bigger, bolder, better.....for the most part. While I felt the game's story, while pretty good overall, was not (imo) as good as the 2013 reboot's the rest of the game imo absolutely out did the 2013 game not just graphically, but gameplay and content wise (there are 10 optional tombs on top of the ones you encounter naturally while you play through the game's story, rare/exotic animals you can hunt, etc.) as well. If you're like me and absolutely loved (or hell even if you just liked) the 2013 reboot I think you'll really enjoy Rise of the Tomb Raider.

40. Super Mario Maker ("Finished" 11/22/15 - playtime 15+ hrs) - I got this game as a birthday present since I've been a big fan of the 2D Mario games and while I was not big on the create aspect of the game (or the fact that you don't get all the assets from the very beginning) I did like how fairly easy it was to create & upload levels. I also enjoyed playing other people's created levels even though most of the ones I played were either very very simple or very very evil.

41. Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy Curtain Call (Finished 12/6/15 - playtime 13 hrs) - I picked this game up during Black Friday mainly because I liked some of the music I had heard from the Final Fantasy series and hadn't played a rhythm game in a long time. All in all I enjoyed the game even though I was unable to make it far in the expert & ultimate level versions of songs due to how hard they were. One of the things I liked most about the game was it's nice selection of songs and characters spanning a bunch of games from the series.

42. Transformers Devastation (Finished 12/11/15 - playtime 7 hrs 42 mins) - Since I was an 80's kid I remember watching and loving the original (G1) Transformers so when I found out that Platinum Games (the people behind the amazing Bayonetta 2) had made a 3D Beat em Up/Hack n Slash based on the G1 Transformers with most of the original surviving cast members providing the voice acting I had to get this game. It imo didn't really disappoint given that it played as expected (repetitive but fun) and with the exception of Megatron (who despite being his G1 design transforms into the G2 tank) everyone pretty much looked, sounded & transformed just like they did in the original cartoon. If you love G1 Transformers, games from Platinum Games, and Hack n Slash/Beat em ups then this game is definitely worth checking out.

43. Mario Golf: World Tour (Finished 12/11/15 - playtime 10+ hrs) - This game was the last game I got through Club Nintendo as it was the only game that was part of their final Platinum reward tier that I didn't already own and interested me. This game interested me cause I had never played a Mario Golf game before, heck it had been a while since I had played a Golf video game in a while (Tiger Woods 08 I believe) so what the hell. Since getting it I've been playing it on and off whenever the mood struck me as it wasn't a great game, but it was pretty decent as well as pretty challenging (the last of the three main championship courses, Mountain Top Course Championship has been kicking my butt the past couple of times I've tried to beat it) which was a bit surprising.

Games 27 through 35 (updated)

35: Dying Light (PS4) - 19th September - 26 hours
I thought the gameplay was excellent and the design of Harran was great, but I genuinely hated the story and characters. The free running is superb, the visuals and tech are really great, there's an absolute shit load of content and it has a load of really nice RPG mechanics. I played most of it solo, but the co-op modes are really well integrated and it's a lot of fun running around with three buddies. 7.5/10

Currently playing: Until Dawn (PS4), Rayman Origins (Vita)

OAzo92Q.png

7h-ish. Well, this game was definitely better than the first. Also definitely darker, with some onscreen deaths and some slightly shocking situations (I found the baby dolphins scene in a bit of bad taste, myself). But the "game logic" was less present, Rufus comes as sssslightly more likeable (perhaps the new VA? the fact that we're more used to him?) and generally speaking, the game seems more agile, less "clunky". Can't say it's the best game ever, but I did like it a lot.

Also the game ends
on a down-ish note for the second time in a row, which makes me scared of Goodbye Deponia - I have the hunch the devs like unfair twist endings.

Updated OP

Original post

Fz1Fi9Hl.jpg

49. DanganRonpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita)
Completed on Komaru Mode.

Another Episode succeeds partially due to the wonders of lowered expectations. When it was originally announced, the game seemed like a bizarre offshoot of the first two DanganRonpa games. It wasn't a visual novel with courtroom-style puzzles, like the first two, but a weird third-person shooter. It took place between the two games in some random city, and it didn't involve a whole bunch of high school students being forced to kill each other. How all of this was supposed to fit in with the main series was unclear in a lot of ways. How could the story match the intensity of Trigger Happy Havoc and Goodbye Despair? And how could a series that's never really been known for tight gameplay mechanics handle a third-person shooter of all things?

The answer to all those questions is "better than you probably expected." Another Episode will never win awards for its gameplay, but its Resident Evil-lite approach to shooting mechanics isn't totally awful (and thankfully lacking in tank movement). The biggest issue is the lack of gyro aiming, an innovation seen in other Vita shooters like Uncharted: Golden Abyss. Its absence is sorely felt here, with the game using the sometimes painful stick-only aiming as a gameplay mechanic: various items in the game allow you to increase or decrease the left stick's sensitivity, which doesn't really feel kosher.

As for the story, the less said, the better (because of spoilers, of course), but it's definitely up to the standards of the series, if not necessarily the best DanganRonpa has to offer. Because the game isn't supposed to be a visual novel, the pacing suffers when it tries to be one anyways, especially in the first two chapters. Learning how to play Another Episode is somewhat maddening because the game gives you so few opportunities to learn the controls in the first hour or two that it takes a long time to feel comfortable. The story is also front-loaded with a bunch of new characters and a scenario that isn't immediately compelling to start, which makes this game a slow burn.

Partially because the game requires you to know about events of the first game to make any kind of sense (and pretty much expects you to have played the second as well, though it's less necessary), Another Episode is hard to recommend for anyone not already familiar with the franchise. Its story fills in quite a few gaps between the first two games, so it's worth playing through even if you don't end up enjoying the shooting very much, but I'll be happy when DanganRonpa 3 returns to the tried-and-true visual novel courtroom gameplay the series is so good at.

LGom09

#46. Super Mario Maker (Wii U) -- September 22 -- 40:00:00+ -- ★★★★★
In just over a week, I've already put more time into Super Mario Maker than most games I've ever played. I didn't realize until I started messing around with level creation, but this is pretty much a dream game of mine. I'm finally implementing everything I think I know about game design without having to build something from scratch, and the editor could not be easier or more intuitive. It's a different kind of satisfaction that I've never really experienced with a game before, not just the act of creating, but receiving positive feedback from people who enjoyed your creations. Thankfully, sharing your levels is pretty easy. Say, I made a level called "Monty's Grinder Winder" or something. I'd be given a 16-character code like, I don't know... FA69-0000-005E-2B33. Then I'd just go on NeoGAF and be like, "check out my level, Monty's Grinder Winder (FA69-0000-005E-2B33)," because the code for my level would be FA69-0000-005E-2B33. I would probably post a preview image of it, too. I'm keeping my expectations low for big updates to the game, but one thing I would like to see is the ability to make revisions to your uploaded courses without first having to delete them. You lose any comments and play statistics attached to a deleted level. I also just want more stuff to work with: slopes, fuzzies, water and lava blocks, etc. Still, what's there will keep me busy for a long while.

Games 26 through 36 (updated)

36: Rayman Origins (Vita) - 22nd September - approx. 12 hours
Normally I love platformers, but I did not enjoy very much. The level design was very inconsistent, with a high number taking place on a moving screen, meaning you have to rush along at the pace the game dictates, and I didn't enjoy doing that at all. I also felt there were some horrendous difficulty spikes in an otherwise easy game, and while I love the visuals and art style, it felt like they just threw a bunch of stuff into the game with no real stylistic cohesion. And if I'm really nitpicking, it felt weird that the Nymphs were so sexualised (why did their boobs have to bounce so much?) and I didn't like that there were basically only one type of enemy per world (i.e. grumpy old lady in world 1, red birds in world 2, and so on). All that being said, the controls are great and the platforming in levels which aren't bullshit it usually a lot of fun. But for me there was just so much baggage bringing down what should have been a fun package. 6/10

Currently playing: Until Dawn (PS4), Dark Souls (PS3) and I'm not sure what to play now on my Vita.

Original Post and Second Post (ran out of space).

Game 36: Stanley Parable (PC) 3 hours
This is the funniest game I've played in a long time. It felt like I was Goofy in one of those shorts where they're trying to teach him to ski or something. Very very funny and highly recommended. I'm tempted to look at other walking sims but I feel I'll probably not be able to get into them because I take it that most are very humorless.

Game 37: Pheonix (Atari 2600) 1 hour
I've been wanting to play this game just because it's the first game with a boss battle. It didn't disappoint, it's still a pretty fun game today, but just a little too repetitive on the 2600. Instead of wanting to rack up a high score I just got bored.

Game 38: The Next Penelope (PC) 5.5 hours
This is a beautiful game. I can't believe it was pretty much made by one guy. He did an amazing job. Any time someone can make an action/adventure racing game, I'm totally on board. I like Gran Tourismo but I love my fun racers too.

Game 39: Nidhogg (PC) 4 hours
I doubted a friend when he recommended this one, I won't doubt him again. It looks like a game that would exist on a ZX Spectrum but damn this game is good. I had a lot of fun with it and it was interesting to see Greek mythology told in sci-fi atmosphere.

Game 40: Sir You Are Being Hunted (PC) 9 hours
I love this game. I love the whole premise of it, I guess I'm just a fan of The Most Dangerous Game. I had a lot of fun with it and since you can create your own worlds I look forward to playing it all over again. I fear robots.

Game 41: Mario Bros. (Game & Watch) 5 hours
This is the first Game & Watch I've ever owned. It has Mario and Luigi working in a bottling factory. It's pretty fun, and interesting that it opens like a book and has two screens. The controls are pretty good until you get to the later parts of the game when it's moving too fast to keep up with itself. It's impossible to get a score over 900. Oh well, I played as much as I could.

Game 42: Pac-Man 256 (Android) 4 hours
Ugh. This game isn't too good. It's pretty cool that they did a unique take on Pac-Man but it's just not very fun. There's too many corners to get trapped in and the power ups don't really help all that much. I didn't buy it nor did I pay any money for credits, I just don't think it's worth it. It is worth trying though because it's free. If I ever see it on sale for 99 cents or something, I'll probably get it then. My highest score is 7145

Game 43: 8-Bit Doves (iOS) 3 hours
This is an incredibly difficult but rewarding game. I like the GameBoy aesthetics on anything and this one did it very well. I had many hours in bed trying to get past some of the later more difficult levels. Very frustrating but fun, which seems to be a winning combination for touch screen games for some reason. I'll search out this developer's other work.

Game 44: Ultraman (Wonderswan) 2 hours
I've been trying to hunt for Wonderswan games that are playable by people who don't read Japanese. I took a chance with this one, it wasn't on any sites recommending playable games for the system. But I'm just a fan of Ultraman so even if I couldn't play it it would be worth it to have. I was very surprised to find out it's very playable! In fact, it might be the best Ultraman game I know of! The controls are very simple, which is great for someone like me who doesn't play fighting games. And best of all, the story mode follows some of the Ultraman episodes verbatim! It's incredible, the battle scenes have little cinematics here and there when something from the show's episode happens. It's so great. Definitely one of the best games I've ever found on the system. The menus can be a little confusing if you go too far in and the story mode is too easy but overall it's just fun and most of all playable, which is hard to find on the Wonderswan.

Game 45: Red Amazon (PC) 1 hour
I love this little game, I need to find other games from this dev. There's supposedly three endings die/lose/win. I've seen more than three endings, so I don't know if I've won yet, which is kinda weird but I'm sure I've seen everything there is to be seen... I hope. Here are the endings I found 1) I was shot and killed; 2) I killed the guy; 3) I killed the guy in the window and was killed by the guy at the front door; 4) I killed the guy in the window and the guy at the door; 5) I killed the guy in the window but used up my ammo, I slowly inched into the doorway and the other guy didn't shoot, I was then able to walk up to him and around him, he kept aiming at me and didn't fire I think it might have been a glitch? Oh well, fun game.

Wensih

With this year's challenge out of the way (a few months ago). I've been trying to build a list of games, mostly from my backlog, that I would like to complete for next year's challenge. I want to try to make a list of classics that I've never had the chance to play, so the list isn't going to be solely from my backlog although I do own quite a few classics.

1. Grim Fandango
2. Jet Set Radio
3. Oddworld Abe's Oddysee
4. Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy
5. Toejam & Earl
6. Beyond Good & Evil
7. X-COM
8. realMyst
9. Riven
10. FEZ
11. Earth Defense Force
12. Metal Gear
13. Metal Gear 2
14. Silent Hill
15. Vagrant Story
*16. Paper Mario
*17. Donkey Kong Country
*18. Donkey Kong Country 2
*19. Donkey Kong Country 3
*20. Super Mario Bros (I play Super Mario Bros Deluxe on the GBC)
*21. Super Mario Bros 2
*22. Super Mario Bros 3
*23. Super Mario World
*24. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
*25. EarthBound Zero (Mother)
*26. EarthBound

*Titles that I don't own yet.

Any suggestions?

Original Post

35. Until Dawn / 8 hrs

Loved this game. I'm glad it seems to be getting the following it deserves.

36. Lara Croft GO / 3 hrs

The GO series continues to be solid quality mobile series. Keep them coming.

37. Shadowrun Returns / 15hrs

I'm so glad I finally played this. I heard initial poor review based on lack of free save, looting bodies, linearity...only to find that I kind of like it for all those reasons. I enjoyed the mission structure and the ability to not search through piles of useless garbage.

September

38. Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC / 32 hrs

Enjoyed it so much I went straight into the sequel, which was even better. I'm going to take a break for the third, but these are a lot of fun and they have just the right amount of character building for me.

39. Stasis / 7 hrs

Sadly meh. Love the aesthetic and isometric graphics and felt underwhelmed everywhere else. I'd really like to see this one man team combine his artistic talents with some other game designers.

40. Year Walk / 2 hrs

Such a gem of mobile game design.

41. J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars / 8 hrs

Absolutely loved this. The interface is clean and crisp, puzzles make logical sense. Fantastic.

42. Goodbye Deponia / 10 hrs

It's fine, it's Deponia. There's some pretty funny things here actually, and some clever setpieces. And also some really stupid stuff, as per usual.

43. Dropsy / 6 hrs

Such a pleasant/sweaty/creepy/sweet game.

44. Broken Sword 5: Serpent Curse / 8 hrs

Average. Not too bad or too good.

45. Tesla Effect: Tex Murphy / 12 hrs

My first Tex game and I liked a bunch of it, besides the sliding puzzles and other cliche puzzles that died out years ago(and that terrible last timer garbage). I liked the humor and the feel of it overall though.

46. Journey of a Roach / 3 hrs

Short and sweet and better than I thought it would be!

47. Knights of the Old Republic 2 / 31 hrs

I loved the first one, when it came out. Passed this one up due to it's rep at the time. Sadly, highly overrated. I disliked the majority of my time with this game. There's some good story strung between the blandest combat and environments you've ever seen. Need to extend your game? Shove another 100 Sith warriors down my throat. I could not WAIT to be free of this.

1165 hrs / 47 games

I did it! 52 games completed! Do I get an enhanced avatar now ;)

It was fun to write about each game, I imagine you need to do this sort of thing over and over and over to develop a good writing style and become a reviewer. Not really my forte, but still had a good time doing it, and with a whole 3 months to spare.

Posts 2048 and 2049 are the record of my exploits.

Best game of the bunch: N++ without a doubt. Godlike game only matched by Towerfall from last year.

Javier

Yj2o0Dc.jpg

#11 - Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (Wii U) (08:28:02 in-game time) - Got the good ending. Only missed four Heart Squids but I'm done with the game. Proof.

Original Post.

9 months and only 11 games. I'll do an update near the end of the year with several games I've actively played through the year, but no way I finish the challenge at this point. Real life has really caught up to me since I got a full-time job.

#45. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (PS3) -- September 12 -- 4:45:00 -- ★★★★☆
Surprisingly good game. The guns all pack a nice punch and there's a simple combo system that encourages you to take out enemies in quick succession. The levels are very linear, but they're well designed and nice to look at. Aside from some pop-in, it's a great looking game. The lighthearted story is presented by an unreliable narrator and this actually ties into the gameplay. The world will sometimes change around you as he remembers details or backpedals after coming under question. It's a clever idea that I don't think I've ever seen before. Simply put, it's a very fun game.​
Felt compelled to say, read this little review and it convinced me to go download it and pick up the game. I had gotten it from PS+ but had no intention of playing it until I read your little summary. I'm only a few hours in, but it's really quite fun.

efDOw5V.png

41:26h. Mostly completionist run, including
secret Chapter VI
. Having played the four Android remakes on succession, it was shocking to make the jump from "renovated" 2D to "proper" modern graphics - but it was fitting for the first totally modern game on the series. The episodic approach works well to establish a bond with the characters, and conceals the fact that the brunt of the game, Chapter V, is the tried and true "Get the Five McGuffins and defeat the Dark Lord". But this time you're neither alone nor accompanied by blank, replaceable goons or totally dull NPCs - for the first time, your companions have substance, things to say (Party chat is always worth a giggle) and a noticeable personality. Even the
purportedly
true villain goes beyond omnicidal insanity.

This is the triumph of DQIV - it's the same (only better), but now you care.

Updated OP

jnWake

Main Post

Game #26. Splatoon (Wii U)
- Time played: 103:34 hours.
- Completion reached: Beat Single Player and played many many hours of multiplayer.

Splatoon is the newest IP released by Nintendo. It's an online focused, third person shooter where, instead of bullets, you shoot ink and attempt to cover the largest portion of the map possible. The game is played in teams of four players (unless someone's connection drops) and features many different weapons and maps. One of the main mechanics is the popular 'kid or squid' meme where you can switch between being a kid or a squid. As a kid you can use your weapon but move slowly and as a squid you can swim through your team's ink quickly but can't attack. This mechanic makes the game very fast paced and action heavy which is great.

One of my favourite things about the game is the variety. Every weapon has three 'features': the weapon itself, its subweapon and its special ability. Weapons have different types and there are 5 'main' types: standard guns, rollers and brushes, chargers, sloshers and gattling guns. However, every weapon type features several variations with very different range and damaging properties so grouping them in just 5 categories is too broad. Anyway, then you have subweapons which are stuff like grenades in traditional shooters. One of the neat things is that the team was very smart about exploiting the liquid properties of ink to create neat subweapons like the sprinkler which is like a sprinkler you use to water plants. There's also the splash wall that is literally a wall of ink flowing from a shower-like thing. Finally, the special abilities are very powerful attacks (mostly) you can unleash after covering lots of ground. There's a lot variety here too, with abilities like the Ink Strike that summons ink from the sky, the Kraken that transforms you into, well, a kraken and lets you chase and kill your enemies, the bubbler that puts you inside a bubble rendering you invincible and more... Seriously, the variety is ridiculous. As a player I loved it and often switched between 4 main weapons: Jet Squelcher, Carbon Roller, E-Liter and N Zapper. There's also more variety thanks to the gear you can equip but I've already written too much.

Overall, I really loved this game (I wouldn't have played over 100 hours of it otherwise). The single player is fun and has interesting mechanics but the multiplayer is where the game truly shines. I completely recommend it to anyone, unless you can't play online. I'm posting it now since I'll be taking a break from it to play some other games... My backlog is huge!

Game #27. Pokémon Shuffle (iOS)
- Time played: ~5 hours.
- Completion reached: Reached stage ~70 and captured plenty of Pokémon.

Pokémon Shuffle is Pokémon's take on the match 3 genre that Candy Crush has made very popular lately. Like most Pokémon spin-offs, the game adopts some Pokémon mechanics to differentiate itself from the competition. In each stage, you battle a Pokémon that you can capture after defeating it. To battle it, you match 3 or more Pokémon by swapping their positions (this isn't limited to adjacent swaps like other similar games) to unleash attacks. Pokémon's classic typings advantages and disadvantages are also present here, though Pokémon only have one type instead of the possible two of the main games. Pokémon you catch can be put on a team that you bring to battles. Your Pokémon gain experience and level-up, but they can't evolve (which sucks). Finally, mega evolution is also present in this game as a special ability you can use after matching lots of Pokémon.

Overall, this game is very fun (if you like matching games haha), but there isn't that much to it. Like its competition it's a fun time waster but not much more. I'd recommend it if you want some easy and quick time waster but I guess there's better things to do with your time.

Game #28. Hearthstone (PC)
- Time played: ~10 hours.
- Completion reached: Got a Mage to level 20 and cleared the first free quest.

Hearthstone is Blizzard's take on the trading card game that is mostly known thanks to Magic the Gathering. The game has several rules and elements so it's a bit hard to write about them in a short review. Essentially, you summon creatures and spells to kill your opponent by damaging them. To summon creatures and spells you use mana, which you gain in every turn (you gain 1 mana per turn). There are several types of creatures and spells with many different properties, which makes the game very complex with a lot of variety.

One of my favourite things about the game is the presentation and that it exploits the fact that it is a digital game. Graphics and music are great, with a lot of charm. Cards have awesome artwork and voicework too. Since the game is digital, there are lots of cards that use random effects which are more annoying to replicate in real life. There's also "secret" spells that you stack and only use when something happens. For example, a secret may be activated when your opponent summons a creature. In real life, this mechanic isn't very practical since it could very easily be abused by less honest players.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with Hearthstone. For some reason it didn't grab me that much though. I never felt motivated to work on my own deck so that's probably the reason. I just used the default deck online and managed to win plenty of matches, but got bored quickly. I recommend it for fans of this type of game though since it's very nicely developed.

AwShucks

I was doing pretty good this year. Then Rocket League hit and dominated my life. Still finished MGS V though. But then I decided to try FFXIV and that's dominated my life.

So...I went from actually coming close to doing 52 games this year to be stuck in the high twenties right now.

Kifimbo

header.jpg

Game 38: Ori and the Blind Forest RPG (PC) - 10.9 hours
Beautiful game, beautifully crafted. Every image could be a nice artwork, and some fantastic ones. It's animated really well. It's also a really fun platformer with great mechanics. With a clear touche of Metroidvania, which means you can only access some areas after unlocking new skills. And then each new area let you try, explore, combine and master that new skill. Great pacing from start to finish. I can only find two flaws. The first is minor: not enough variety for the ennemies. The second one pissed me off when I finished the game: you can't go back to some areas after finishing them. You missed some things ? Too bad, you have to start over.

header.jpg

Game 39: Speedrunners (PC) - 6.8 hours
You can't really finish this game, but I feel like I played enough to form a decent opinion. It's a really good 4-player multiplayer game, colorful, fast and intense. It's basically Mario Kart as a platformer with a grappling hook and other different power-ups. Easy to pick up and have fun, but hard to master. It becomes really important to learn and remember every level.Sadly, I couldn't really try the local multiplyer mode, but I heard it's a good way to end friendships.

header.jpg

Game 40: Waves (PC) - 3.0 hours
Another Geometry Wars clone, but a really good twin-stick shooter. The field is circular instead of rectangular, but some enemies are pretty similar. Really nice visually, with neons aplenty, and the soundtrack is great. Since you're always doing the same thing in the same place, it becomes repetitive. Thankfully, there are several modes, each with an interesting twist. Waves is a good game to play in short bursts.

header.jpg

Game 41: Beyond Gravity (PC) - 3.2 hours
The only reason I can think of why this game has a "Very Positive" rating on Steam is because the Achievements are easy and it gives cards. Because Beyond Gravity is a very simple game, clearly designed for mobile platforms. It works well on PC, but it's so straightforward. Jump from planet to planet by clicking on the mouse. Again and again. Make sure you don't hit anything. There is no depth. The skills you unlock don't change a thing, except make this easy game even easier. The procedurally generated feature just means the order of the planets change each time, but that's about it. Thankfully, it's cheap.

Synth

Original Post

Knack
Knack.jpg

Criteria: Standard game completion.
Time played: ?? (~8 hours maybe?)

This game sucks... there's really no point in sugar coating it. It's like someone played Sonic Unleashed, heard people opine that "one half of the game sucks", and mistook which half to jettison. Amazingly it actually manages to fall wildly short of the Werehog sections from that game also. The level design feels like it was built with some 6th gen built-in level editor. You have box room that locks you in, you kill the enemies, room unlocks and you move to the next room. After about 3-4 rooms a small transition scene plays showing Knack scaling up or jumping down to a different area... this is THE ENTIRE GAME. Every bloody level. I've never in my life played a full retail game that felt quite this phoned in. Every part of this game, from the story, to how it looks, to the music... everything gives off the impression that the bare minimum was done to create a sellable product. I've played more seemingly passionate (and ambitious) Project Spark projects. And what's with all the small health deposits hidden behind breakable walls? There's no point in refilling 1.2% of my health if every attack by an enemy does either 80% or 100% damage (and most of these hits will simply be because a new enemy/move shows up for the first time ever, giving you no indication of its reach, recovery, or how many hits are in the sequence)... It's like they're there simply because games are supposed to have things to find. There's also cards you can find which allow you to level up, but because you need a bunch of them for every individual upgrade (and they're unique so you can't choose the distribution), I only actually ever got one upgrade throughout the entire game, despite almost upgrading a ton of others. And you know what the upgrade was for?... It told me when I was near health refills.... yup, either the tiny super-inconsequential ones, where collecting all of them in a level probably wouldn't help you survive a single extra hit... or the larger more meaningful refills, that are laid out in a completely unmissable fashion, and basically act as checkpoints. It's like giving Mario a powerful that pops up to say that you're near a mid-level flag...

God this game is crap... holy shit. The fact that I finished it has made me realise that I really don't respect myself enough. It needs to be put on PS+ just to save other potential buyers from their own curiosity.

Midn1ght

Update :

Game #19: UFC
QRYx9eY.jpg

Rating: ★★☆☆☆ - Platform: PS4 - Developer: EA Canada, SkyBox Labs
I'm giving it 2 stars for the graphics and the effort. The game was ok for a short period of time but I got bored with it very quickly. I also found the ground game and submissions gameplay overly complicated and not fun at all. Career mode with training between fights is super repetitive. Meh...

Main Post

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
How do you know if you run out of space?
I've so far only updated my original post.

If you try to preview or submit the post, a message will appear where the post should be saying that "the text that you have entered is too long (x characters), please shorten it to 24000 characters long."

Shame the OP stopped updating the first post. I sent him a PM weeks ago and nothing yet.

Stuff happened and I forgot twice.

J85bcpf.png

wyvern_bloodfist

zPSch4V.png

Duxxy3

G8AMFkL.png

Widdly Scuds

JGpI5Kv.png

Jawmuncher

kU9AEqM.png

Krafter

qLrnyMi.png

Reila

Game 11 – Until Dawn (PS4)
Bought it on a whim. Loved every second with it. 10/10.

Game 12 – Destiny: The Taken King (PS4)
Better than vanilla Destiny by a mile though it still isn't exactly what I was expecting two years ago.

Game 13 – Race The Sun (PS4)
Great PS+ game.

Main post.

Dryk

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Game #57: Batman: Arkham Asylum: 13.3 hours
At the start I was worried I wasn't going to like this, I was walking past so many things that I obviously needed to come back later with another upgrade to do, and there's an intimidatingly large number of collectibles. Once I unlocked most of the gadgets though and started settling into the gameplay a bit that feeling went away and I really started enjoying myself.

The combat system everyone's always raving about it is good, but I think it's a bit wasted here. There's more sections that just dump you in a room with 8 dudes standing in a circle, whereas the real fun with enemies comes from sneaking around and picking them off one or two at a time. Generally moving around and using your gadgets is also really enjoyable.

Not really feeling the character design though. Batman's proportions are weird, comic booky I know but it looks kind of weird in 3D. Also detective vision is really useful but a bit misguided considering you just keep it on most of the time.

BraXzy

mKyynQh.jpg

Game 20: Destiny: The Taken King - 100+ Hours - 25/09/2015 - Xbox One

I stopped playing Destiny vanilla roughly just over a month after release, I got the typical burn out I do when I play a game too much at once. I didn't bother with the DLC even though I owned the season pass, but the TTK hype pulled me back in.

Gotta admit, Bungie stepped up their game as far as the story mode goes. Still not perfect, but a great deal better. More variation in gameplay, more interesting missions, everything linked together better. And there were ACTUAL cutscenes. The new raid is fantastic, the first time through it was just as magical as the Vault of Glass. Looking forward to hard mode. PvP doesn't feel as fun as it used to, most of the new maps feel too crampled and reward shotgun play. Can't complain though, PvE is more than enough for me atm.

Overall a tonne of fun, it has me hooked again. Just a shame it took this long for them to make something worth playing. More of this please!

Synth

Original Post

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
4_1440420158_metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes-us-esrb-ps4jpg-e31ae1.jpg

Criteria: Standard game completion.
Time played: 1 hour

I'm not really much of a MGS fan, but this was pretty good for what it was. I'll probably pick up The Phantom Pain once the price drops a bit.

watdaeff4

Updated Original Post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=170721437&postcount=1889

50. UnderWurlde - Rare Replay (XB1)
Rating 2/5
Completed all milestones and snapshots (9/24/15): 2.5 hours
The controls in this game were so frustrating. That was the hardest part of this game with or without the cheats. While I've given my critiques of all these Rare ZX Spectrum games, I was playing the Atari 2600 when these games came out and the Rare games are absolutely more advanced than the old Atari games. But damn, if these games aren't just out and out hard/frustrating.

51. Battletoads Arcade - Rare Replay (XB1)
Rating 3.5/5
Completed all milestones and snapshots (9/28/15): 3.5 hours
Hadn't played a old school side scrolling brawler from the 16-bit era days in years. Brought back good memories of these style of games. Had to play through a 4th time to pick up the smash attacks milestone as I was too dumb to start trying to rack these up until my 2nd playthrough.

52. The Walking Dead - Season 1 All epidoses (PS4)
Rating 2.5/5
Completed (9/28/15): ~9 hours
My first TellTale game was Wolf Among Us and I loved it. This game didn't grab me the same way that Wolf did. Either I was more interested in the lore of Wolf, or I'm a little burnt out on "Zombie" games and their stories.

Welp, That's it, 52 games down in 9 months. Had played some great games this year in that list. Bloodborne is by far the best IMO, but Far Cry 4, Ori and Arkham Knight are all excellent games also. I enjoyed most of the games I played this year, the only ones I didn't really enjoy that much and had to "push" may way through them just to say I beat them are Walking Dead and Dead Rising.

theaface

Fell just short last year, but I'll have another go this time around. Still going to try and focus on playing games for enjoyment rather than completion's sake though...

GAMES COMPLETE: 48

Games 1-13 here.
Games 14-26 here.

27. Pullblox (3DS)
Complete. Impressions to follow.

28. Driveclub (PS4)
Impressions to follow.

29. CounterSpy (PS4)

30. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (3DS)

31. Bloodborne (PS4)

32. Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U)

33. Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure (3DS)

34. Kirby's Dreamland (GAMEBOY - VC)

35. Super Mario Land (GAMEBOY - VC)

36. Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4)

37. Rocket League (PS4)

38. Journey (PS4)

39. The Last of Us: Remastered (PS4)

40. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4)

41. Lara Croft GO (iOS)

42. Octodad: Dadliest Catch (PS4)

43. Titan Attacks! (PS4)

44. Trick Shot / Okay? (iOS)

45. Super Mario Maker (Wii U)

46. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (PS Vita)

47. Teslagrad (PS4)

48. Nintendoland (Wii U)

GAMES CURRENTLY IN PROGRESS
- Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS)
- Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (3DS)
- Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
- Shovel Knight (PS4)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Game #42- Jak II
7yBfg3z.png

Rating: ★
Platform: PS3 (via HD Collection)
Beaten: September 8th
Time: 26:32

(...)Undeterred, because Jak 3 does actually seem like a huge improvement I want to play and I can't bring myself to do so without finishing 2 first, a friend and I started it all over again this month and powered through the whole shitshow in a weekend.
I have recently played through Jak II and 3, too (last year) and I must say, you're going to be in for a rude awakening. Platforming is worse in Jak 3 than in Jak II (it's almost non existent now) and there is another type of vehicle you have to drive through an empty desert. Those buggys control horribly and even a boss requires you to use buggys. The town from Jak II is back, though some areas are missing. I found Jak II to be a really bad game, but Jak 3 makes Jak II look almost fun. Difficulty is lower though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom