• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey all encompassing info thread. First direct feed shots, London event.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh cool, they took their ingame Mickey models and used it in the cartoons, to get the animations and style right.

traveler

Not Wario
Has this been posted yet?

Press Release said:
Disney Interactive Studios has announced the development of Disney Epic Mickey, an adventure-platforming game with "light role-playing elements" for the Wii.

The game stars Mickey Mouse who has been re-imagined for video games by video game designer Warren Spector and his Junction Point game development studio.

"Mickey is an adventurous and rambunctious mouse," said Warren Spector, creative director and vice president, Junction Point. "I want to bring his personality to the forefront, place him in a daunting world and connect his spirited character with video game players worldwide. Ultimately, each player decides for him- or herself what makes Mickey cool."

The game sees a sorcerer named Yen Sid - the powerful sorcerer from "The Sorcerer’s Apprentice" in Walt Disney’s 1940 film "Fantasia" - create a beautiful, whimsically-twisted world where Disney’s forgotten and retired creations thrive.

In Epic Mickey, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit - Walt Disney’s first cartoon star created in 1927 - becomes the earliest inhabitant of Yen Sid’s Cartoon Wasteland after Mickey Mouse is created. Oswald makes the Cartoon Wasteland comfortable for other retired characters as they join him in this magical land. Years pass, and as Oswald dwells in the Cartoon Wasteland, he becomes resentful watching Mickey’s popularity swell. When Mickey curiously stumbles upon Yen Sid’s map, he makes an innocent yet terrible mistake and inadvertently devastates Oswald’s comfortable world. Eventually, Mickey’s mistake pulls him deep into the mysterious Cartoon Wasteland to face the destruction he unknowingly created.

Players will use the Wii Remote to wield magical paint and thinner to re-shape the world around them. Paint’s creativity and thinner’s damaging effect give the player the power to make choices about how they move through the world. Each player’s decisions to use paint, thinner, or both, dynamically changes the world with consequences that affect the environment, interactions with other characters, and even Mickey’s appearance and abilities.

"The core of this game is the idea of choice and consequence, and how that defines both the character and the player," said Spector. "By putting the mischievous Mickey in an unfamiliar place and asking him to make choices - to help other cartoon characters or choose his own path – the game forces players to deal with the consequences of their actions. Ultimately, players must ask themselves, 'What kind of hero am I?' Each player will come up with a different answer."

Disney Epic Mickey is scheduled for release in autumn 2010.

Source is the videogamer site linked above.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
"If you're a gamer, you can become what we call a 'Scrapper'"

Your animations, abilities, character reactions, all change if you're a Scrapper versus a Hero. You won't have much friends, but you will be more powerful alone"

"In this game, you can get around and not fight a boss"

"That sounds crazy, but everyone wants something, and you can figure out how to not fight a boss."
That's interesting, to say the least.

Linkified

SpacePirate Ridley said:
So Bob Iger bought Osawld for the next new videogame AND for Walt's daughter?

Iger promissed the Dsiney heirs before he became CEO that he would get Oswald back for Walts Legacy.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
A first look for this European event: Lonesome Manor

Looks like a crazier version of Haunted Mansion

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Three act structure: Act 1 is WHere Am I?", then "Save the lands, save yourself" is Act 2, and Act 3 is "The Blot Unleashed"

Warren is going to be giving gameplay demos later tonight

Look for a preview based off of Warren's demo plus a follow-up interview

cooljeanius said:
That was it? At least there's going to be a demo later tonight.

It would have been a lot bigger if not for GI teasing us along all month. And even with all we already know we still learned a lot. Being able to skip bosses, Haunted Mansion confirmed, 3 acts to the story...very interesting stuff.

I also love the "what would a cartoon want?" design philosophy.

Now I guess we're left hoping for gameplay videos (no trailer it seems)

Even if the textures of the garden floor look bland I really like all the rest, now that is bigger its all very clean and you can see clearly the design based in Its A Small world.
I like also that the stage seems to have multiple levels.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Cmagus said:
sorry i have an opinion
Cmagus
Banned

batman.jpg

Taker666

I don't know if I will be banned for posting this :lol -

Epic Mickey was originally for 360/PS3

Spector told ONM: "The reality is that we started Wii development in 2008, but before that we were a PC, PS3, and 360 title."

"It's burned in my brain - Graham Hopper [Disney Interactive boss] pulled me into my office one day and said 'What does it take to deliver on the goals we have for this product? And I said, well, you need enough time and enough money to be competitive. And it'd be awfully nice if we could focus on one platform."

"At that time we were talking about a Wii port and I was begging people - no, we can't just port to the Wii, it's not going to work. It needs to be its own game. A lot of the design ideas just won't work on the Wii, we need to give the Wii its dues. Graham looked at me and said 'What do you think about a Wii exclusive?' And I went 'Holy cow - yeah!'"

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=12784

Screens are fine for a game that has a year or so development time left.

Also i wonder what Nintendo's opinion is of this game? We haven't had their comment yet. This is a HUGE exclusive for them

ShockingAlberto said:
You'd think this would shut people up, that it was built from the ground up as a developer decision for the Wii.

Instead, it will just do the opposite.
Doesn't this totally contradict what Warren said in some other interview? The quote was something like "We always wanted this game to be on the Wii, even back when no one knew that it was going to be the best-selling system"? Oh well.

Also, looks like those screens aren't blown up but indeed rendered at 1280 × 960 pixels which means they're definitely not running on actual Wii hardware, interesting.

magicalsoundshower said:
Doesn't this totally contradict what Warren said in some other interview? The quote was something like "We always wanted this game to be on the Wii, even back when no one knew that it was going to be the best-selling system"? Oh well.

I was just thinking that. It seems Spector signed the deal in June of 2007, and sometime in 2008 they switched gears...you know, right around when it was clear the Wii was dominating the market :lol

Haunted

Regulus Tera said:
2lj6u80.png

No actual articulatable reason for this aside from it's related and I happened across it just now.
Would have made the better series! Never understood why the fuck they even needed to be ducks - kind of a VGCats situation for me.

PLOT: Mickey is kidnapped from his home and taken to the cartoon wasteland. The first act of the game is about working out where you are, seeing friends he hasn't seen in ages. He'll re-discover Oswald, and then he'll find out something shocking: he was the one who caused all the devastation. How? I don't know yet.
Yes we do, it was mentioned in the Gameinformer scans (mischievous Mickey accidentally knocking an ink pot over when he stole into that office years earlier).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kind of disappointing after the concept art.

I wonder if they could've made it a 2D game.

Top Bottom