• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 42, 2015 (Oct 12 - Oct 18)

benao

Neo Member
The box definitely looks nice, but ...it's a white WiiU. It could use some colour, after all the game is about squids firing paintballs.

Mory Dunz

Man...couldn't they decrease the price a little?

Like...by even 500 yen?

I feel like it's a mental block to buy a console if it goes up in price. Or maybe it's just me. If I was about to buy a PS4, and it went from like...even $400 to $410, it might just dissuade or throw me off. Or at least be annoying.

Ōkami

Going by Nintendo's hardware lineup Japanese site the only WiiU's they're currently selling are white.

There's the standart White 32gb model that comes with nothing.
There's the Super Mario Maker White model.
And the upcoming Splatoon white model.

Seems as if they fased out on black WiiUs, for what it's worth the Genei Ibunroku bundle comes with a black WiiU.

at this rate, next bundle will be more expensive than PS4 -_-

32Gb model (prices without tax) :
2012/12/08 : launch - 31,500yen
2013/10/31 : Mario U + Wii Party U + remote + sensor bar - 32,800yen
2013/10/31 : Mario U + Wii Party U + Wii Fit U + remote + sensor bar - 34,800yen
2014/11/13 : Mario Kart 8 + remote + sensor bar - 32,800yen
2015/10/09 : Mario Maker - 33,000yen
2015/11/12 : Splatoon - 34,000yen

Ōkami

Looking deeper at Nintendo's hardware site, week's 48 and 49 should be pretty good for the New 3DS (as in just the small one) because there are a lot of faceplate bundles coming then.

img-03.png
Super Mario Maker

Hello Kitty

Monster Hunter X

Animal Crossing.

Colorful Star

All come with a 4gb micro SD cart and an AC adapter, also 17k yen for all too. None of them come with any games though, not even the Monster Hunter X one, even when it's launching a week after the game.

horuhe

Ōkami;182518839 said:
Looking deeper at Nintendo's hardware site, week's 48 and 49 should be pretty good for the New 3DS (as in just the small one) because there are a lot of faceplate bundles coming then.
Hope Media Create White Book 2016 tell us something related to those faceplates.

hiska-kun

at this rate, next bundle will be more expensive than PS4 -_-

32Gb model (prices without tax) :
2012/12/08 : launch - 31,500yen
2013/10/31 : Mario U + Wii Party U + remote + sensor bar - 32,800yen
2013/10/31 : Mario U + Wii Party U + Wii Fit U + remote + sensor bar - 34,800yen
2014/11/13 : Mario Kart 8 + remote + sensor bar - 32,800yen
2015/10/09 : Mario Maker - 33,000yen
2015/11/12 : Splatoon - 34,000yen

You are including taxes in some ones. Without taxes should be like this:

2012 Launch - 30,000¥
2013 Family Bundle Set (Mario U & Party U) - 31,238¥*
2014 Mario Mart 8 Set - 32,800¥
2015 Super Mario Maker Set - 33,000¥
2015 Splatoon Set - 34,000¥

*Wii Fit Set (+Mario U & Party U) - 33,143¥

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/hardware/familyset/

I told you. Next year Wii U for 35.000¥

In Europe:

Launch - 8 Go SKU, without any game: 300 €
Launch - 32 Go SKU, with Nintendo Land: 350 €

Now - 32 Go bundle with Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon + 7 days of Wii Karaoke U: 300 €

I understand the point of not following the "GC way" and trying to not loose any money on the HW, but what they are doing in Japan is crazy.

Vena

In Europe:

Launch - 8 Go SKU, without any game: 300 €
Launch - 32 Go SKU, with Nintendo Land: 350 €

Now - 32 Go bundle with Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon + 7 days of Wii Karaoke U: 300 €

I understand the point of not following the "GC way" and trying to not loose any money on the HW, but what they are doing in Japan is crazy.

I'd be surprised if they don't have retailer wide deals for "in store" price drops. So the RRP is pretty much irrelevant.

Vinnk

Observations (Vinnk's Village?)

1. Star Wars is very big in Japan. Not as much as the US I'm sure, but the movie and merchandising will be big. This is a VERY pro-Star Wars country.

2. I'm not sure that it will relate to huge sales for the game though. Just because a franchise is huge it doesn't always mean the game will be a surefire hit. Look at Disney Infinity. It should be massive. Figurines are big in Japan and so is Disney. But it sold like hot garbage here. Legos are also one of the most popular toys in Japan but the lego games have all been duds (those that actually got released). Same Harry Potter, Spiderman, Batman, the list goes on. I haven't seen any big push for the SW games but if any of you have a link to something about a big push or historical data about Japanese sales of SW game, please share a link.

3. I attended my daughters sports festival (Undoukai) and several other sports festivals this year. I think 8 in total. Every Single one had the young students dancing to the Yokai Watch ending theme. Total indoctrination. Super cute though.

4. I don't know how to explain the total lack of merchandising for Splatoon. My kids are totally into the game and want toys, books, stickers, etc. But there are none to be found. The Amiibos were in such limited quantities that I have only ever seen one (the squid boy) in the wild. Seems like a huge missed opportunity. There is much more merchandise for much less popular series.

5. Prices are going up on used WiiU systems. Seems the surplus of used consoles is going down a bit. I wouldn't read to much into this but probably some people who want to play Splatoon or Mario Maker are saving a few bucks buying used.

6. Vita memory cards used are still crazy expensive. A 64gb one used often sells for only a few hundred yen less than a new on. 4gb-8gb cards are dirt cheap since people jettison them when they get the new cards.

7. Bravely Second can be bought brand new for about US$15. It might chart some more sales but this is just shops burning stock.

8. Xbox One is not even stocked at most stores that sell games. Yamada Denki in my town is an exception, they must have some deal in place because they use an entire aisle for Xbox One games and systems despite little interest. It's twice as much space as they devote to the WiiU. Do other members of Japan GAF see anything like this?

Bonus: Halloween is on the way. It's not a big event in Japan but my girls are making the most of it.

0jr62hc.jpg

Thanks Vinnk! Your reports are always much appreciated.

As for Wii U entry price - Nintendo might probably think that by lowering the price, gained revenues will not be as high as those revenues collected by slightly increasing the price through bundles.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius is now out, though it will take a bit for it to show on App Annie.

Also, you're going to have to kick it up a notch Mixi:

mixixkxit.png

https://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/top/japan/overall/?device=iphone

As for Wii U entry price - Nintendo might probably think that by lowering the price, gained revenues will not be as high as those revenues collected by slightly increasing the price through bundles.
Yes, you generally need significantly increased sales to off-set lowering your price. This is largely a finished platform that isn't selling much, so there's no reason to eat into profits.

Mory Dunz

Thanks Vinnk! Your reports are always much appreciated.

I wonder if they're right.

personally, I don't think a pricecut wii U would start doing 15k and up, so maybe keeping the price stagnant works. But you never know.

random25

I wonder if they're right.

personally, I don't think a pricecut wii U would start doing 15k and up, so maybe keeping the price stagnant works. But you never know.

Sales will probably spike, not as much, in a week or two, then will probably go back to 10k+ territory. They'll probably just stick around that price point since it's still selling pretty well relative to last year's numbers (not that it matters much) until a successor or the competition forces them to drop the price of Wii U.

Vinnk

Great costumes! Are those hats homemade?

Anyway, thanks for the impressions. Always an appreciation here for Vinnk's Village.

Thank you. Yes a friend of ours made the hats and I made the rollers out of a pool noodle and some jumbo coat hangers.

Also if I can weigh in on the Splatoon 1.5 mil minimum. I don't know. There are too many factors in play. Splatoon is a hit for sure. Kids know about it and I'm guessing a lot of them will be asking for it for Christmas/New Years. But a limiting factor will always be the install base of the WiiU. We have seen that Splatoon was able to bring up the baseline and that the title has legs but to hit 1.5 mil (or 2 mil) it will need to be the best selling WiiU game beating out even 2D Mario. If it continues on this trajectory, it will do it. But there are the unknown.

1. When will the NX be announced? If it is early next year it might cause a lot of people to reconsider buying a WiiU. And if the NX is not backwards compatible it adds further reluctance to pick up Splatoon.

2. How much more content does Nintendo still have to release. This steady flow is keeping word of mouth going right now but if the online community starts dropping off so will the recommendations.

3. Nintendo is still pumping money into promotion but if they decide to stop that or put the money on another title, buzz can slow.

4. If a NX or 3DS sequel is announced it might cause some potential buyers to wait.

5. Any number of other inexplicable Nintendo decisions.

I really hope Splatoon does 1.5 mil, 2 mill, 3 mil. I think it is one of the breakout games of this gen and a personal favorite of mine. But realistically there are too many unknowns for me to say "1.5 mil confirmed!"

hiska-kun

Isn't this just a limited run like the #FE one?

No, this is a limited run like the Mario Kart 8 one.

(Yes, the MK8 bundle was limited since launch, and they stopped shipping copies this past August lol)

#FE bundle will ship 20k and that's all

L~A

You are including taxes in some ones. Without taxes should be like this:

2012 Launch - 30,000¥
2013 Family Bundle Set (Mario U & Party U) - 31,238¥*
2014 Mario Mart 8 Set - 32,800¥
2015 Super Mario Maker Set - 33,000¥
2015 Splatoon Set - 34,000¥

*Wii Fit Set (+Mario U & Party U) - 33,143¥

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/hardware/familyset/

I told you. Next year Wii U for 35.000¥

Ha ha, immediately thought of you when I saw the announcement this morning :p

One thing to note about the price of the new Splatoon bundle is that it's the cheapest option for player trying to get a brand new Wii U without any other game:

- Wii U (standalone) + Splatoon: 30 000 Yen + 6 156 Yen (incl. taxes for Splatoon, not the bundle)
- Splatoon bundle: 34 000 Yen (excl. taxes)

(Of course not taking into account taxes, retailer offers, used bundle, etc.)

So yeah, as mentioned the other time, Nintendo knows this bundle will sell, which is why the price went "up". I don't think it's "crazy", though it's pretty clear Nintendo is in full "let's make as much dough as possible while we still can!" mode. It's definitely a bold strategy.

A price drop would only lead to less revenue for them. Besides, they can't really compete against used now, if they dropped the price, the price of used bundles would only drop.

2 cents of insanity: maybe they're making the Wii U price go "up" to make their next platform more attractive when it's announced?
#conspiracytheories

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
No, this is a limited run like the Mario Kart 8 one.

(Yes, the MK8 bundle was limited since launch, and they stopped shipping copies this past August lol)

#FE bundle will ship 20k and that's all

thank you! didn't know the differences

hiska-kun

Famitsu PlayStation Store Digital Estimates {2015.08.31 - 2015.10.04} (5 weeks)

PS4 Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain - 56k
PS4 Ultra Street Fighter IV - 11,9k
PS4 Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes - 10,6k
PSV Tokyo Xanadu - 10,6k
PS4 Minecraft PS4 version - 8.395 units
PS3 Minecraft PS3 version - 7.220 units
PS3 Metal Gear V The Phantom Pain - 6,1k
PSV Minecraft Vita Edition - 6.055 units

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Famitsu PlayStation Store Digital Estimates {2015.08.31 - 2015.10.04} (5 weeks)

PS4 Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain - 56k
PS4 Ultra Street Fighter IV - 11,9k
PS4 Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes - 10,6k
PSV Tokyo Xanadu - 10,6k
PS4 Minecraft PS4 version - 8.395 units
PS3 Minecraft PS3 version - 7.220 units
PS3 Metal Gear V The Phantom Pain - 6,1k
PSV Minecraft Vita Edition - 6.055 units

Good sales for Metal Gear on PS4!
But i'm surprised to see that difference between PS3 and PS4...

2 cents of insanity: maybe they're making the Wii U price go "up" to make their next platform more attractive when it's announced?
#conspiracytheories

Half life 3 on NX confirmed

But realistically there are too many unknowns for me to say "1.5 mil confirmed!"

It is.

Fisico

Famitsu digital sales up until 2015.10.04

[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition [Digital Version] <ADV> (Mojang AB) (¥2.057) - 307.236

Famitsu retail sales up until 2015.10.18

[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.592) - 345.614

Famitsu retail + digital

[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) - 652.850

It should reach 800k by the end of the year, can it become the one and only million seller on Vita next year?

Source: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Mr Swine

Banned
Famitsu digital sales up until 2015.10.04

[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition [Digital Version] <ADV> (Mojang AB) (¥2.057) - 307.236

Famitsu retail sales up until 2015.10.18

[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.592) - 345.614

Famitsu retail + digital

[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) - 652.850

It should reach 800k by the end of the year, can it become the one and only million seller on Vita next year?

Source: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

MC sales have been slowing down the last couple of months so I think it will depend solely on Vita price drop or something else to keep its sales up.

Also isn't it time for Nintendo to announce a price drop for both 3DS and Wii U? How big of an impact to sales would it do in December?

The big question I have about Splatoon's legs going into next year is the NX. If its announced early next year, and features a Splatoon sequel in the software revealed before launch, both of which are eminently possible, then I can see the legs falling away a bit.

If, however, they port Splatoon to the NX at launch and support handheld play, complete with a new wave of advertising and tie-ins... Christ, it could be monstrous. Nintendo were caught unawares with the first game, but with their new focus on making wider use of their IP I'd be amazed if it happened again.

DrWong

crazy stuff that a brand new and complete game sells more than a 30 years old game with editor?

tbh I'm surprised that Mario Maker can sell as much as it did by now...

You meant an unkown new IP criticized for its poor launch content in a non popular genre in Japan and an established 30 old years IP?

Beckx

While the two week Famista results overall aren't great compared to what Power Pro and PYS move on Sony platforms, I doubt the game's budgets are comparable either.

It's basically a SNES / GBA game with more in depth features and is pretty fun in short bursts. But even though I thought I'd love an old school game like that, now I'm just jonesing for the PS4 Power Pro (even if Eikan mode is gone :cry).

Top Bottom