• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
A bit of behind the scenes stuff, my favorite Pokemon to cover are those with just two stages---I'm absolutely dreading when I get to Eevee, and Ralts.

Ezalc

For as much as I don't care about Arcanine, I like Rapidash. The idea of a horse on fire, is awesome to me for some reason, and I'm sure that race episode played into that too. I just wish it was better game wise. Also, I want Rapidash to get a normal evolution into the pegasus, not a mega. Because even though I hate the concept of mega evolutions, I still want pokemon to get normal ones and others to get megas instead.

Also, it seems like I'm the only one who prefers some of the branch evolutions. Politoed and Slowking are awesome.

Pretty much everyone knows how Slowpoke sounds.

SLOOOWWWWwww.... poke....

Almost like its yawning.

In game, its cry is basically "derp" which I thought was cute, so it actually has both a neat voice in the anime and a fitting in-game cry.

What word starts with "S" and ends with "E"?
Obviously Sunstroke!

Adorable Pokemon, with a neat gimmick that actually is reflected in their stats, which hardly ever happens. Always competitively viable and all around a nice design.

Surprised there wasn't more merchandise for these guys back in the day.

You can tell the Pokemon Company love these guys. They were in the anime often, an entire portion of GS is based on them, Slowking was a major character in the second movie and one of the earliest GS Pokemon announced.

Macka

I love Slowpoke and Slowbro is alright, but Slowking always felt super unnecessary to me. Although, now that you mention it, I guess it is the only one in the line that actually looks like a Psychic type.

Mega Slowbro on the other hand is one of my absolute favourite Mega Evolutions. Hell, it's one of my favourite Pokemon designs in general. There's just such a perfect evolutionary progression here, with Slowpoke initially being bitten by Shellder on the tail and evolving with it still chomping down, to totally consuming the entire Slowpoke upon Mega Evolution but leaving the tail free again. Which it balances on (presumably with some help from it's Psychic powers) as it's only means to move around. Its just hilarious, and so well-designed. Even it's ability is so fitting of the design. Just great all-round.

And that look of terror on Slowbro's face is too damn much.

5vgxYiq.jpg

Toxi

Banned
As I understand it Slowking is slightly outclassed by Slowbro in singles because Slowbro's focus on physical defence is slightly more useful
Also, Slowbro's typing just happens to work better for a physical defender. The most commonly used Ghost, Grass, and Electric moves are special and they're common as coverage on special attackers. On the other hand, physical attack coverage tends to be either resisted (Fighting) or neutral (Rock, Ground). Slowbro tends to deal with physical hits better than Slowking deals with special hits.

Watch Da Birdie

fEDKeKu.png

#081 - Magnemite
Electric/Steel (Electric Prior Gen II)

Magnemite and its evolution, Magneton, hold the distinction of the first (and for a long time, only) Pokemon to change Type, switching from a pure-Electric Pokemon to an Electric/Steel-type as of Generation II. This change probably didn't bother many folks, and didn't feel as unnatural as so many Pokemon becoming the Fairy-type in Generation VI, because at that point Pokemon was still fairly new, and Magnemite had only been around for a couple of years---the fact that Magnemite and Magneton weren't exactly common or popular Pokemon didn't hurt either, meaning many folks had likely never interacted with them much for their Typing to stick in their minds. Electric/Steel is a mix blessing as it gives Magnemite a 4X weakness to the all-powerful Earthquake, yet also gives it the most immunities of any Pokemon alongside a later Ghost/Steel family. Magnemite ended up playing a somewhat important role in Generation II as the "common Steel Pokemon line", as the others were either version exclusives, cross-generation evolutions, or evolved from a non-Steel Type Pokemon. Even today, Magnemite regularly appears in the Regional Dexes and usually acts as the common Steel-type family.

Magnemite is the first straight-up "object Pokemon", which many fans seem to absolutely despise---Magnemite's saving grace is that it's part of the original 151, and thus has somewhat of an immunity to cries of ruining the franchise forever. I actually like Magnemite, and don't mind object Pokemon whatsoever---how can someone claim they're not "true Pokemon" when they've been part of the series since Day 1 confuses me, and they're still in the minority---but you do gotta wonder where Magnemite actually came from. The usual theory is that Magnemite was perhaps an early "artificial Pokemon", like Porygon and Mewtwo, who was rather shoddily put together and ultimately abandoned but lived on within abandoned Power Plants. Presumably, Magnemite was intelligent enough to use its electrical powers to put together more Magnemite in order to expand its species. By the way, Magnemite is our first genderless Pokemon (well, as of Gen II when genders were introduced), meaning the only Pokemon he's capable of breeding with is Ditto. This means that genderless Pokemon have no way to pass on moves or learn Egg Moves, which limits them somewhat. I would love to see Game Freak introduce some unique "breeding facility" for the artificial genderless Pokemon one day to fix this...

Another theory is that Magnemite's body isn't its real body, and it's actually an electrical entity that merely uses metal as a shell to protect itself---there's a Pokemon introduced in Generation IV, Ghost/Electric, who can posses machines and offers up a bevy of new speculation regarding the truth about Magnemite. However, Generation VI really throws a wrench into things, as a flashback to the great Kalos War taking place 3000 years in the past clearly shows a Magnemite, making us reconsider what we think about this seemingly mechanical Pokemon. The Mysterious Dungeon series, devoid of humans, also features Magnemites, once more calling into question if they're actually related to human technology like most people think, or if in fact they came first and may have inspired various inventors through history. Perhaps Benjamin Franklin was electrocuted by a Magnemite in the Pokemon World's history? We may never know, and it's a hot-button issue among Pokemon fanatics such as myself.

Magnemite is so named for the twin magnets on its body, which are capable of emitting electromagnetic waves that neutralize gravity allowing Magnemite to float through the air. Despite this, it wasn't till Generation IV where the move Magnet Rise was introduced that Magnemite was actually able to resist Ground-type moves, prior to that getting absolutely wrecked by them and probably its greatest weakness. It's said that if Magnemite runs out of power, it'll be unable to float and thus be ultimately helpless, so they're somewhat of a pest within the Pokemon World as they're attracted to power-lines and generators and are known to siphon energy for their own use. Using a Magnemite means quite a high electricity bill to keep it fed, I imagine. Of course, it can apparently eat despite lacking a mouth as Generation VI shows...

Magnemite gained a bit of popularity during Gen V as the most traded Pokemon via the Global Trade System, apparently due to a trick popularized by Japanese players to expand the Join Avenue area in B2/W2. Magnemite seems to have simply been chosen because its original name "coil", apparently tied into the idea of "coiling" together or something like that from my understanding, really its role could've been done by any readily available Pokemon, but it was in part due to appearing quite early in B2/W2 as well. I recall that even after B2/W2, trading Magnemite over GTS was still rather popular.

Magnemite's actually had a fairly nice role in the show over the years, its first appearance having it "fall for" a sick Pikachu. It's also appeared under the command of Wattson, Clemont, and one arc in Diamond and Pearl had Brock control one for a brief period of time. I really wish the show would've dedicated at least one episode to exploring the "origin" of Magnemite and why it's so robotic in appearance, but sadly Pokemon nowadays is usually a bit timid to offer their own insights into the nature of various Pokemon unlike how in the old days they invented their own plotlines and lore for Pokemon constantly.

HlEpq9S.png

#082 - Magneton
Electric/Steel (Electric Prior Gen II)

Magneton is the evolved form of Magnemite, and thus the second Pokemon to change its Type. Magneton during the early days around Gen II and Gen III was a fairly popular Pokemon thanks to its Ability Magnet Pull, which made it a great counter to popular Steel-type Pokemon like Scizor and Forretress. Although its usage has gone down a bit as its new evolution in Gen IV has taken its place, those with nostalgia will find that Magneton still has a niche to fill, and hasn't become entirely redundant even though truth be told its evolution can pretty much do everything better---but hey, Original 151 for life, right? Magneton is also used by Blue in Pokemon Yellow (unless his Eevee becomes Jolteon), and has since become a popular Pokemon for Rival Characters, being used by Silver and Wally as well.

Unfortunately for Magneton's popularity, it's committed two major sins among Pokemon fans---first, as mentioned with Magnemite, it's an object-based Pokemon, and second, it's another one of those Generation I evolutions that are thrown together, literally. Magneton is simply three Magnemite stuck together, raising all the usual questions about how this works. I don't really blame GameFreak for this, because hey, it makes sense to have a magnet Pokemon evolve in this way, but at the same time it does feel sort of cheap and some folks who get worked up about "realism" in Pokemon will find this extremely bothersome as well. But once more, Magneton has the grace of being an original Pokemon, and there's a Pokemon introduced in Generation V who has the same evolution style, yet pulls it off twice, thus Magneton feels a bit more creative in comparison. Despite all this, Magnemite evolves into Magneton simply by leveling up, even though it could've had a bit more clever evolution method. It's unknown if Magneton can separate and return to being Magnemite, but I imagine it's quite task for them to pull themselves apart from one another---although Clemont's was shown briefly separating in the show.

As you'd expect, three Magneton placed together have extremely strong magnetism, and are known to be a massive hazard to the Pokemon World as their electromagnetic abilities can completely destroy electrical equipment. It's surprising more evil teams don't use Magneton, as they'd be the ultimate terrorist Pokemon, able to bring a city's infrastructure to a grinding halt, cause planes to malfunction and crash, assassinate a world leader by disrupting a pace-maker, and, well, just imagine what damage they'd do if they got too close to a hospital. They're one of the few Pokemon I can think of whose PokeDex addresses the danger of owning one, as it's said that Trainers with Magneton are warned to keep them within their Pokeballs presumably whenever they're anywhere near civilization. Getting near Magneton in general is dangerous, as their electromagnetic waves are so powerful they can raise the temperature and can even cause earaches---presumably long-term exposure to them would kill you, or at the very least fry your brain. Despite all this, I'm not gonna lie, Magneton are pretty adorable.

I talked about Magnemite's origin last time, and Magneton possibly implies they may have an extraterrestrial origin, as it's said to emit strange radio-signals which may very well be it communicating with someone "out there". Maybe it's an alien plant designed to weaken our electronic defenses for a future invasion? Magneton is also said to have a relationship to sun spots, appearing in mass when they occur, although perhaps it's the opposite, Magneton's magnetic powers being so strong that they're pulling the sun's magnetic field whenever they gather together. Sunspots, like Magneton, are also known to have a similar effect on radio waves and electronics as it does, although to a lesser extent such as minor interference. Perhaps Magneton has a special relationship with the sun?

Magneton didn't get a focus episode really until the Orange Islands, as it played a minor role in Sparks Fly For Magnemite, in which a traveling cowboy herded Magnemite around to provide electricty for nearby towns. In the end, one of the main Magnemite, #6, evolves into Magneton to stop Team Rocket. Despite there being plenty of Magnemite around to hook-up with, Magnemite is instead shown simply spouting two new Magnemite from its sides when it evolves into Magneton. Magneton like Magnemite usually appears under the command of Electric-type trainers such as Wattson and Clemont, but one appeared in the Johto League under the command of Jackson (or Vincent, as the dub of Legend of Thunder calls him), one of Ash's opponents. The Magneton was rather randomly Shiny, but unlike most Shiny Pokemon, this unique trait was barely drawn attention to. By the way, there's actually a Guitarist in Gold and Silver who shares his second dub name and original name (Vincent/Jun'ichi) and uses three Magnemite, but this is believed to be a coincidence as the character is believed to have been named after Jun'ichi Masuda, which the show has done throughout the years with Satoshi/Shigeru/Hiroshi.

LOIn1ci.png

#462 - Magnezone
Electric/Steel

Wow, it'll be awhile till I reach the Generation IV Pokemon, huh? Anyway, Magnezone is the first Cross Generation Evolution I've covered who was from Generation IV instead of Generation II, and there's a few important things to say about this fact. First, as I reach the newer Pokemon, I run out of material to talk about due to them not having as many PokeDex entries, game and anime appearances, and less nostalgic memories for me to discuss, but despite this, I'll still try my best to hopefully give a decent look at each of them and perhaps change some folks' minds when it comes to how they feel about the newer Pokemon. Second, I actually like the Generation IV evolutions overall more than the Generation II evolutions, but they have a lot working against them---coming for the most part so late after their original forms have been around leads to a bigger disconnect between the style of the old, and the style of the new, although now that I say this I realize that the Generation IV Pokemon have almost been around for a decade themselves, and many fans tend to find the Generation IV evolutions a bit overdone, although it's usually agreed upon that many of the new evolutions are useful in terms of giving some previously underused Pokemon new potential. Magnezone doesn't quite fit into that role, though, as Magneton was already a fairly good and useful Pokemon, and Magnezone just gives it more power at the cost of a slight reduction in speed.

That being said, I don't think Magnezone is particularly "redundant" because it does address an issue with Magneton that many folks had, that being its rather unremarkable and quite dull evolution. Magnezone, on the other hand, has a bigger change in design that still takes advantage of the magnet theme, and has one of my favorite evolutionary methods in the series, evolving when it levels up at spots known for their powerful natural magnetism. In its debut game, this was accomplished by training at Mt. Coronet, and future games have ensured this method was possible by including a similar location, except for Heart Gold and Soul Silver, where Magnezone is unable to be obtained unless you trade it from a Sinnoh game. Personally, I feel like they could've easily turned the Ruins of Alph into the evolution spot for Magneton given that it's associated with strange electromagnetic phenomenon, or possibly Kanto's Power Plant so players wouldn't obtain such a strong Pokemon prior to the Elite Four (but that might raise the question why all the Magneton within haven't evolved), or simply have made a unique item exclusive to Heart Gold and Soul Silver that could induce evolution. I imagine Game Freak probably doesn't intend to make sure that every future Generation has an area where Magnezone is able to evolve at, and one day we'll see an item that allows Magnezone to evolve to help simplify things, but for now I really appreciate them tying together lore and gameplay through a neat mechanic. Even better, the evolution method isn't too pigeonholed because they were smart enough to design another Pokemon evolution who evolves via the same method, so it feels slightly more fleshed out.

According to the PokeDex, the three Magnemite that compose Magneton are effected by the unique electromagnetic field at a molecular level, and thus end up completely fusing together and I imagine there's no way to reverse the process. Even more interesting is that the Pokemon World's scientist have yet to find a way to reverse engineer the process, and force Magneton to evolve in a controlled setting---the fact that Magneton's first canonical evolution (well, excluding ORAS, which takes place in an "alternate universe" apparently) happened at Mt. Coronet of all places, where the Sinnoh Region and possibly the entire world first came into existence, makes you wonder if the process is more magical than scientific. Anyway, you can tell how the three Magneton came together to form Magnezone, but there's additional bits and pieces which also suggest that there may have been some nearby metallic objects that were assimilated into Magnezone's body. What would happen if another Steel-type Pokemon got too close to Magneton during its molecular re-structuring, would they become embedded into the Pokemon like what supposedly happened to the unfortunate sailors involved in the Philadelphia experiment?

The origin of the Magnemite family has always been quite mysterious, as I've explained, but I do find it interesting how Magnezone resembles a stereotypical UFO---perhaps it's just a coincidence, or do Magneton travel to areas known for their strange electromagnetic phenomenon, pick up an extraterrestrial transmission that signals them to evolve, and then turn into Magnezone and depart Earth to head back to their home planet? I want to believe...damn Game Freak, you've teased so many extraterrestrial plotlines throughout the years, I just want you to give in one of these days and have one of the Pokemon games feature a full-on Independence Day scenario.

Magnezone first debuted in Movie 11 (its animated debut, not its overall debut), the Shaymin Movie, as the leader of the "Magnezone Army" under the control of the film's antagonist Zero. They proved to be pretty cool and threatening henchmen, but you gotta wonder---Zero's goal in the film was to take control of Giratina and punish the real-world due to how they were polluting the "Reverse World", but as I demonstrated before, it seems like having an entire army of Pokemon who can completely wreck any civilized city would do the job well-enough on their own. I mean, unleash the Magnezone Army on New York, and the whole city would descend into complete chaos. Magnezone later got a focus episode in the Diamond and Pearl series where it battled a Metagross, and recently appeared once more in an antagonistic role in X&Y, used by an unscrupulous scientist seeking to steal Clemont's inventions. However, it didn't stand a chance against the power of Kalos' Electric-type Gym Leader.

Mr-Joker

Banned
If I ever use Slowpoke, I am going to make sure that I at least catch a Shellder so I can at least pretend that they evolved together.

Rutger

Banned
Slowking is cool. Though I don't know if I've ever actually used one, it'd be my go to evolution if I ever did decide to use a Slowpoke. Maybe it Z.

Magnemite and Ton have been Electric/Steel so long, I don't even really remember them being pure electric at all.

I never used them in Red or Yellow, so as far as I was concerned, they had always had their typing.

It works really well for them, rather than some of the strange fairy choices they made (or didn't make)

Dryk

Only irresponsible Magnemite owners let their Magnemite roam wild and steal power. Honest citizens go out and catch a Heliolisk instead, then you don't need to bother feeding either of them.

Watch Da Birdie

It's time...

OLHnWAO.png

#083 - Farfetch'd
Normal/Flying

Well, here it is...the infamous Farfetch'd! Farfetch'd is the first Pokemon I've covered who does not evolve, nor does it evolve from anything else, and this fact has yet to change through the franchise's history. Pokemon who don't evolve are a mixed bag---with two-stage and three-stage Pokemon, you usually know what to expect, but single-stage Pokemon are a different breed entirely. Are they extremely weak and useless? Are they about middle-of-the-road, on par with the average fully-evolved Pokemon? Or are they incredibly powerful, such as the Legendary Pokemon? Still, others tend to be "gimmicky" Pokemon with a unique Ability or Move that no other Pokemon possesses. I like a lot of single-stage Pokemon, but I feel in general many players may skip over them during their adventure, because part of the fun of Pokemon is seeing your Pokemon grow and evolve throughout the adventure, and single-stage Pokemon are incapable of doing that to the same extent. Still, as many single-stage Pokemon often happen to be given out via in-game events, quite a few of them probably made their way into player's teams, and by extension their heart, over the years.

Farfetch'd...isn't one of those Pokemon. It's perhaps the definition of a "filler" Pokemon with no redeeming qualities, no interesting gimmick (although people argue that IS its gimmick), and is a Pokemon that's easy to skip over in most games and never bother with. It doesn't help that as a Normal/Flying Pokemon, it is an extremely common type and thus has a lot of competition---and most of that competition appears very early on in the game and are traditionally captured by the player and tend to stick with them for most of the game, thus leaving no room for Farfetch'd. In Generation I, the only way to get a Farfetch'd was through an in-game trade for a Spearow, and said Farfetch'd had the incredibly stupid nickname "DUX". Since there was no way to change a Pokemon's nickname if you're not the OT, who of course was an in-game character (although I wonder if it's possible to actually end up with the same ID as said trainer?), this means that every single legit Farfetch'd in Generation I was known as "Dux". Hell, there's probably a few kids who thought that was the actual name of the Pokemon. Farfetch'd has remained quite a rare Pokemon throughout the years (in Generation III, once more the only way to get one is in FR/LG, now known as the equally stupid "CH'DING"), although thankfully with the advent of breeding the player could hatch their own Farfetch'd and finally give it a good nickname. Will we ever see a game where Farfetch'd is actually plentiful and treated as a common Pokemon?

Farfetch'd is a Pokemon who you could say is a bit "cultural specific", as it's a Japanese joke referencing an old saying "a duck comes bearing green onions" that basically means an unbelievable stroke of good-luck, as the duck would be perfect to cook, but also with an implication that it's too good to be true---and certainly, the ease in which you can get Farfetch'd in Generation I by trading off a common Pokemon is too good to be true for it to be actually a decent Pokemon. While the phrase doesn't really have an English equivalent, I feel Farfetch'd is a decent enough name that expresses the same idea, and it's still a globally recognized animal so there's no confusion over what it's meant to be. The localization got lucky Game Freak didn't go for any super-obscure Japanese references---but just wait until the next Generation. As a kid, I was kind of dumb and didn't get what the apostrophe meant, so until I saw the show I thought its name was pronounced "Farfetch dee".

As much as I hate on Farfetch'd, I actually do find its design rather cute and appealing. It's based on a pretty average wild duck, quite different from how our previous duck Pokemon turned out, and doesn't have any unique elemental twists, yet it's fairly expressive and has a fair sense of personality---you can tell that although it's in a bit of dire-straights, it's a very plucky Pokemon who doesn't give up without a fight. I've always liked its v-shape (for victory?) monobrow, it completes the design and gives Farfetch'd a classic cartoon look, bringing to mind a character like Daffy, Donald, or one of the other popular cartoon ducks that populated my childhood. Farfetch'd has also had some pretty good sprites over the years as well, the Gen II ones were especially good specifically the Crystal-sprite which winks at the player as if to say, "yeah, you're not gonna use me, but that's okay". There are certainly equally weak Pokemon who lack Farfetch'd's appeal, that's for sure, and being competitively and aesthetically worthless is worse than only being one of those.

So, why is Farfetch'd so rare? Going by the phrase it's named after, and what the show's PokeDex says, it's because Farfetch'd makes a great meal and thus has been eaten to near extinction, yet the games never directly say that people eat it as far as I know, at the very least none of the PokeDex entries say this. A rare time where the show goes a bit darker than the games do, come to think of it. Farfetch'd's leek is a double-edged sword, as while it may make Farfetch'd the perfect meal, it's also implied that Farfetch'd is basically defenseless without it, and thus it's vital for it to survive. Possibly, the reason Farfetch'd has held off permanent extinction is because they evolved to use the leek as a weapon in order to protect themselves after years of being hunted, formerly using them as simply a way to build their nest as the PokeDex states. By the way, the game adds a bit of mystery to the leek for some reason, never saying what plant it actually is even though it's obviously a welsh onion, also known as a "negi" in Japan which is part of Farfetch'd's Japanese name, "Kamonegi". Why they held off directly naming the stick, yet don't have a problem mentioning stuff like Indian elephants and Ayers Rock, I don't know? To make the stick sound more impressive?

In Generation II, Farfetch'd's leek was made into an item known as the "Stick", which raises Farfetch'd's critical hit capabilities. By the way, the PokeDex mentions that there are good sticks and bad sticks, so why they haven't expanded on this to make Farfetch'd a bit more interesting is disappointed. Imagine if there were varying "Stick" items which granted Farfetch'd different stat boosts when held---heck, perfect idea, you name the strongest and the rarest "Stick" the "Onion Sword", a pun that seems like it was just waiting to happen. Since Game Freak doesn't want to let it evolve, why not go that route instead, keeping the basic idea of Farfetch'd in-tact, and honoring its status as one of the last NE Pokemon in Generation I, while also allowing it to see a bit more use, if not in the competitive scene, at least within the single-player campaign.

Speaking of Farfetch'd's evolution, it's one of the few Pokemon where basically every proposed evolution follows roughly the same motif---Farfetch'd going full samurai duck. I've seen so many fake Farfetch'd samurai evolutions over the years, I know I'll be disappointed if Game Freak ever fulfills that dream because there's no way it can live up to everyone's lofty expectations. Around the time XY was revealed, there was an infamous set of rumors which mentioned Farfetch'd would have an evolution in Gen VI (this is before we knew of Mega Evolutions) aptly named Flyby'nite where the leek, not Farfetch'd, was the one who evolved. Now, this was fake, of course, but I don't think Game Freak would stoop that low---for a Cross Generation Evolution, that is. I do think that sounds like something they might do for a Mega Evolution, if Mega Slowbro is any indication, and I have a feeling they'll probably do just that soon enough for poor Farfetch'd. But hey, getting 100 extra points in its Base Stat Total is totally worth it.

Farfetch'd seems like one of those Pokemon the show would just completely forget about, but it had a pretty great focus episode, and recently in XY there's a reoccurring character who owns one as well. I particularly like this Farfetch'd, as it seems to always end up the butt of the joke and has some great expressions---plus, well, go to Bulbapedia and look at the picture they use for Farfetch'd's representation in the anime. You think that's out of context, but no, I recently watched the episode, and the camera without explanation randomly cuts to Farfetch'd in that pose so I don't know what other way the show wanted us to see that. Go look, seriously.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Just got a new 3ds, worth playing the sapphire remake? Have fond memories of the original but I couldn't make it through X/Y. Too damn sloooooow and just didn't grab me. Any opinions?

(If this is too far off topic I'm sorry!)

Just got a new 3ds, worth playing the sapphire remake? Have fond memories of the original but I couldn't make it through X/Y. Too damn sloooooow and just didn't grab me. Any opinions?

(If this is too far off topic I'm sorry!)

They're just as easy and handhold-y as XY, first Pokemon games I've dropped halfway through.

I never used Slowbro as a kid, but he's since become a favorite of mine whenever I go back to the early games (same with Sandslash).

Also I remember recently using the in-game trade for Farfetch'd (DUX) more than I probably should have. In Gen I there wasn't a ton of variety in terms of straight Flying types, and call me crazy, but there's just something about a duck carrying around a leek that appeals to me. I like to think that when DUX used Fly, he'd ready his leek in his beak and I'd grab on while he whisked me away to my destination.

Toxi

Banned
Farfetch'd, Delibird, and Luvdisc form the shit trio. Each one doesn't evolve, each one has terrible stats, and each one will forever be worthless.

Spinda only narrowly avoids shit trio status thanks to Contrary.

Watch Da Birdie

Farfetch'd, Delibird, and Luvdisc form the shit trio. Each one doesn't evolve, each one has terrible stats, and each one will forever be worthless.

But Luvdisc has an evoluti---oh, wait.

To be honest I'd take Luvdisc over Alomomola any day of the week.

Love Magnezone. Have used him a few runs. Also have a shiny Magnemite in X. Wish it looked cooler as you can barely tell the difference from a normal one.

Azuran

Banned

You're too harsh on them. Not every Pokemon has to be useful in battle. Delibird and Farfetch'd both bring humor to the Pokemon world.

SalvaPot

Btw OP, there is another way to get Farfetch´d in Gen 1, I know because it traumatized me. Its actually catchable in the wild in Pokemon Yellow, if I remember correctly is in a patch of grass near the fishing spots, you have to use cut to reach them, I was countless hours trying to catch the little fucker and I was never able to, I always ran out of ultra balls or killed him.

Crayolan

I did a media blackout for XY. I didn't manage to avoid everything, but it was pretty successful in my opinion.

So when I saw a Farfetch'd trade in the first town of XY I thought it must've meant that they finally made a Farfetch'd evo or mega. I added it to my team and took it to the E4 but nothing ever came of it. :(

It had a pretty cool moveset though. Hopefully gen 7 delivers.

WarAdept

I quite enjoy Chatot as well. The combination of Chatter, Nasty Plot and Boomburst make it hillariously funny to hit things with.

I remember rotating some low level Pokes in X and having a very extremely unlucky RNG run with a Chatot and it's confuse BS. Took out half my team.

Magnezone owns. I picked up a Japanese Magnamite in Black 2 as part of the who Magnet chain thing and it came with 31 SpA IV, Modest Nature, and Flash Cannon. Use it the entire game. My little magnet buddy.

FSLink

Banned
Luvdisc just exists so I can easily get Heart Scales to relearn moves if necessary. It doesn't have to be a good Pokemon.

Interestingly, the Pokemon X/Y speedrun uses the Farfetch'd obtained early in the game through an in-game trade to great success. It pretty much carries the run from the first gym all the way to the second gym if I recall, where it gets swapped out for a Hawlucha.

Delio

Interestingly, the Pokemon X/Y speedrun uses the Farfetch'd obtained early in the game through an in-game trade to great success. It pretty much carries the run from the first gym all the way to the second gym if I recall, where it gets swapped out for a Hawlucha.

I need to see this. Ive watched every run of a Pokemon game except an X/Y run.

Forkball

Some Pokemon should never get an evolution or mega. It would be less diverse if every Pokemon was part of an evolutionary line. There need to be jobber Pokemon out there.

Top Bottom