• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

JoeM86

Wr2rIac.png

066 - Machop
Fighting

Machop is perhaps one of the most well-known Fighting-type Pokemon introduced in Generation I, and even today likely is one of the first Pokemon people visualize when they hear "Fighting-type". He's often seen as Abra's counterpart, the two of them being polar-opposite in Type, having similar evolution patterns, and appearing alongside one another in the majority of Regional Dexes. As I mentioned before, Fighting-type Pokemon weren't as straight up powerful as Psychic types, however they are a very solid party member and it's likely many folks used a member of the Machop-line during their initial Gen I playthrough, and likely during future playthroughs of later Generations as well.

Like Abra, Machop doesn't seem to be based off any particular animal, although he has a vague "dinosaur" appearance due to his short tail, and the crests on his head which resemble something you might find on various bipedal, herbivorous dinosaurs. As a child, the dinosaur I always saw him as was a Pachycephalosaurus, his crests reminding me of their hardened domes and his love of combat bringing to mind how Pachycephalosaurus were believed to engage in combat through butting their heads, although I don't think this was actually Game Freak's intention. Years later, we'd actually get an authentic Pachycephalosaurus Pokemon, which greatly excited me since that was always a creature I adored and thought seemed natural to turn into a Pokemon.

While Machop eventually becomes one of the most muscular Pokemon, and is implied to very strong even as a child (able to lift 100 adults---although presumably not simultaneously), there's a bit of a weak looking element in his design due to his stomach, which looks a bit flabby with the ribs showing and all. I always thought Machop's flabby chest looked a bit odd, and sort of detracts from the design a bit by adding a somewhat distracting element that messes with the streamlined look most Generation I Pokemon are well known for, but it isn't a deal-breaker. He's still a Pokemon I enjoy, and one of the best representatives of my favorite Type.

Fighting-type Pokemon usually specialize in a certain form of martial arts, but Machop is a bit different since it's implied he's actually on a mission to master all forms of martial arts, although judging by his evolutions it appears he eventually settles on professional wrestling. It would've been cool if perhaps the idea of Machop being an all-around martial artist was expressed by him having branch-evolutions into different Pokemon focused on various forms of martial arts, but of course this idea ended up being used by a different Pokemon in Generation II. Probably for the best, since the Machop-line's image as the "wrestler Pokemon" has become so memorable.

Machop never got much love in the show, during the Kanto season his biggest appearance was jobbing during the P-1 Grand Prix to Ash's Primeape. It wasn't really till Hoenn where he got his first decent role as one of Brawly's Pokemon, but it's quite odd how Pokemon like Abra and Machop who have been present in so many games end up with very little roles in the show. But then again, I think while folks like Abra and Machop, their designs aren't exactly the cutest or most marketable, and their main appeal is more so their reliability in the games as capable battlers rather than simply Pokemon that are nice to look at.

OVhByxZ.png

067 - Machoke
Fighting

Machoke is the evolved form of Machop, and my favorite member of the family, but as I said before, I pretty much feel that way about the middle-forms of all the Link Evolution Pokemon. I feel his design is pretty much perfectly balanced, and as people have mentioned, perhaps because some players may not be able to obtain the Link Evolutions, the middle-forms are designed in a way that visually they have a completeness to them. I could easily accept Machop and Machoke being a two-stage line for example.

Machoke keeps its dinosaur-like attributes somewhat, but also becomes a much more humanoid figure, even now sporting a belt! This is another design element of a Generation ! Pokemon that, based on complaints about other Pokemon, should be a bigger issue, but is incorporated in a rather subtle way that your brain tends to forget about it and thus most folks just accept it as is. The belt isn't simply for show, either, as it's implied to be a "power-limiter" that holds back Machoke's greater strength and it's said if the belt were to be removed, Machoke would end up posing a serious danger to itself and others, unable to control its fiercesome strength. This seems like a cool "storyline" for one of the other mediums to explore, but sadly neither the show nor the manga have ever tackled this idea as far as I know which is a bit of a shame. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if perhaps the belt comes off when the line gets their eventual Mega Evolution...

Early art, especially the sprites, gave Machoke a rather dumb and mean looking appearance, especially its Red and Blue sprite where its apparently flexing and winking at the player. In reality, Machoke is shown to be pretty humble, disciplined, and friendly, and is said to regularly assist humans with various hard labor tasks such as working at construction sites and helping sailors. This was made famous by the Machop stomping the land in Vermilion City (in every trip to Kanto!) and the Machoke movers seen at the beginning of Ruby and Sapphire, and Machoke and Machop have become synonymous with construction work in the Pokemon World---although Generation V introduced a new family of Pokemon who use that as their entire theme. However, because that line has yet to really appear as frequently as Machoke's, he's still the first Pokemon people think of when they visualize Pokemon aiding construction workers.

As I said before, I consider Machoke to have a great sense of balance in his design, losing the awkward "flab" Machop had and looking very tight and intimidating all-around. His design gives off a great impression of physical strength from looks alone, and the veins on his arms are neat visual touch that don't feel intrusive nor tacked-on. While I certainly don't consider Generation I my favorite Generation, I do think that it's fair to say that overall the Pokemon here have the best designs from an objective artistic standpoint in terms of stuff like color, balance, etc., and Machoke is a great representative of this fact. But as I'll explain later on with a certain Pokemon, people have a variety of tastes, and even if a Pokemon is visually sound, that doesn't exactly make it interesting or likable. Machoke is a Pokemon, though, who I think embodies both traits, being artistically nice but also with a sense of likability and whimsicalness to it, and thus has remained a Pokemon I find to be a great representative of why I love this series so much.

Like Machop, Machoke was a Pokemon who didn't get a lot of focus during Kanto, but has gone on to become one of the more popular "background" Pokemon used to flesh out group scenes by giving him to a Trainer in the background, or having him appear at construction sites and training dojos. He's just a very usable Pokemon for those kind of scenes, and I believe he's appeared far more than any other Link Evolution Pokemon. Machoke has also appeared frequently under the command of Gym Leaders, being used by Chuck, Maylene, and recently Korrina. Not too shabby, and well-deserved in my opinion---he's just a good standby for Fighting-type Gym Leaders.

1mVaMq0.png

068 - Machamp
Fighting

Machamp is the Link Evolution of Machoke, and could be seen as the counterpart to Alakazam, although he's greatly fallen behind. While Alakazam is still a very powerful and effective Pokemon, Machamp not-so-much, and has recently been replaced, more-or-less, in the competitive scene by other Fighting-types, including a direct counterpart introduced in Generation V. Furthermore, Machamp was skipped over for a Mega Evolution so far in Generation VI, although I consider him one of the top contenders to get a Mega Evolution in the future. Still though, Machamp's popularity is still good, and he remains a solid Pokemon for the in-game adventure. He also recently received a surge of popularity by being one of the first Pokemon to be shown playable in Pokken Tournament alongside the insanely popular Lucario.

While I do like Machamp, I consider him a downgrade compared to Machoke in terms of design. Machoke as I explained is basically perfect, but Machamp adds some new elements that come off as a bit clunky---he almost looks like the typical "Cross Generation Evolution" which will add a bit too much to a balanced pre-existing design. Maybe this was the point though, since as I explained with Alakazam, the Link Evolutions tend to be portrayed as an "unnatural" evolution brought about by human intervention, and perhaps the oddness of Machamp's design was partially intentional. The biggest detractor for me are Machamp's lips. Although I imagine they were intended to be more of a beak-like protrusion possibly tying into the line's dinosaur elements, most portrayals of Machamp draw them as big ol' lips, and I think it would've been better if they kept the regular mouth Machop and Machoke have. The lips and the horn crests kind of give me a Kinnikuman vibe, however, so they're not too bad, but I'm unsure if Game Freak was going for that or if it was a coincidence that Machamp slightly resembles a popular fictional wrestler.

Machamp also adds an additional set of arms, which makes sense---how else are you supposed to make a ripped Pokemon like Machoke look even stronger? Machamp's additional arms allow it to utilize extremely powerful moves simultaneously, but its capabilities are a bit unclear. The PokeDex states that Machamp is a very skilled fighter who is capable of launching various punches and chops at the same time, but at other times it implies that Machamp's not exactly the most coordinated Pokemon, and presumably lacks the ability to manipulate its individual arms to perform more complicated tasks. It seems if Machamp can launch a combination attack consisting of an uppercut, hook, straight, and karate chop, then he has a considerable amount of dexterity and control over his arms individually, but perhaps he's only capable of these graceful movements when it comes to fighting. I suppose Machamp probably isn't skilled at playing the piano, or sewing perhaps.

The arms bring to mind various Hindu deities, but I don't think that was the intention, rather giving him four-arms was just seen as a "cool" way to have Machoke evolve. I actually think the extra arms though are a flaw, as most depictions of Machamp can't get the arms looking right---most sprites look like the extra arms are awkwardly pasted onto the main body (look at the Platinum sprite especially), and have this weird inorganic feel to them. If I stare at Machamp for a few seconds, usually it becomes very noticeable where the extra arms are drawn on, and that really bothers my aesthetic senses. It's also quite noticeable in the show, where its arms often just sit limp in the air, and I figure this is probably because they're probably a pain to animate in an interesting way. They look pretty good in Pokken, however, where they're given a high amount of focus and budget to have them look and work properly.

Even though Machamp seems like he's a pain to draw and animate, he has a fair amount of appearances, often appearing as a background Pokemon in various tournaments and competitions. Despite all this, I don't think he really got a focus episode to himself till just recently where he played a major role in an XY episode, serving as an antagonistic Pokemon at first who was revealed as the episode progressed to be a somewhat "deep" character then first thought. It wasn't even his episode entirely, as the episode was focused mainly on a new Generation VI Pokemon, but he played such a large role that it was the first time I recall liking a Machamp in the show. However this episode also made me realize how awkward his extra arms look most of the time, as they barely seemed to move and stood out considering how XY tends to be a bit more fluid than past seasons.

Sorry to bring this back up but the special Machamp page on the Pokémon Daisuki Club has confirmed that the belt etc. are markings, not clothing which makes things even weirder :p
http://www.pokemon.jp/special/kairiky_gym/
secret4.png

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Reminder that

Boss Doggie's new avatar
please
?

I don't like Flygon though, it looks like a nerd.

Goodra is likeable I guess but sweet jesus does it not convey "pseudo-legendary" at all. It looks like an ordinary 3rd stage Pokemon.

That is the point of goodra though, that it likes to hug its trainer.

Hydreigon is not Godzilla, so no, it isn't.

of course not, it's Gidorah :p

3jIgznH.png

...Where is its mouth?!

dat "you can't be serious" face

Yeah this has always baffled me.

Someone explain this shit.
Every Unown looks more or less like the letter you would expect and then you find this fucker

reXloSk.gif

G? G? Apparently this is G?

I rationalized that it's supposed to mimic lower case g

Looptail_g.svg

I guess I should be spelling "R-U-D-E" instead then.

To be honest, I wish Pokemon revisted the Unown some time, I think if Pokemon games back in Gen II were like how they are now, the Unown would probably play some kind of story role.

They did though, they have close ties to Arceus (the anime movie did it first, but eventually showed it in the games).

Yep. In terms of Pokemon, Gen 5>Gen 1>Gen 3>Gen 4=Gen 2>Gen 6

I guess I like odd-numbered generations better.

Heh, we're almost alike. Just smudge Gen 6 to the front and Gen 3 above 1 then we're all equal!

Got a bit of catching up to do.
Firstly Mismagius is pretty cool, great evolution of a pokemon I found unremarkable and in turn actually makes Misdreavous more likeable for me as it works well as a kinda cute first form.
Interesting note about the "football neck", I've always viewed it like the tip top of a turtleneck jumper kind of thing, Mismagius just flaunting its style what with is fabulously ghoulish gown.

As for unown, well I'm glad I decided to catch one in my first playthrough of Pearl because it turned out the number of them you owned determined the rarity of Hippotatas in a cave on the other side of their own but a good few hours of gameplay away.
I did not know this at the time so it took an age to finally get a Hippo of my own, now had I not picked up that one unown then well i'd have been searching for an eternity with 0% chance of seeing a Hippotatas.

Otherwise unown are often just the herald of disappointment, like stumbling into the ruins of alph or the string of small caves toards the end of the sevii islands, you go in full of wonder and intrigue only to find out its just where the alphabet likes to chill.

I actually like Zoroark. Even if it is focus-tested, at least it has a very clear theme with the paintbrush hair, focus on illusion, and fox cleverness. Plus, it has a very cool unique ability.

Lucario on the other hand is just a weird mish-mash of stuff. It's Anubis with metal spikes and dreadlocks who can sense people's emotions and shoots Hadoukens.

That Lucario summary just slayed me.
I get the feeling Zoroark would actually be more appreciated had it not been so heavily pushed because it's a well executed pokemon in numerous respects.
(once again the Roman Reigns comparison made earlier in the thread rings true)

Macka

I actually didn't mind Zoroark when it was first announced, and even used the one I was given in White 2. When I watched the movie he stars in though...welp. Lost all appeal for me. The Unova sprite obviously didn't have a huge amount of detail, so I had never realized before then just how pronounced the red markings around his eyes and mouth are. He has a Joker smile going on, and it doesn't look right lol. Also think he looks very derpy in motion, with his extremely thin body and lanky limbs.

Usually seeing the Pokemon in the anime helps me like them if I wasn't a fan before, but the opposite happened here.

K7idG6A.gif

zBBffFw.gif

sd28821

I actually didn't mind Zoroark when it was first announced, and even used the one I was given in White 2. When I watched the movie he stars in though...welp. Lost all appeal for me. The Unova sprite obviously didn't have a huge amount of detail, so I had never realized before then just how pronounced the red markings around his eyes and mouth are. He has a Joker smile going on, and it doesn't look right lol. Also think he looks very derpy in motion, with his extremely thin body and lanky limbs.

Usually seeing the Pokemon in the anime helps me like them if I wasn't a fan before, but the opposite happened here.

K7idG6A.gif

zBBffFw.gif

even tough moms need a shoulder to cry on

Rutger

Banned
Misdreavus and Mismagius are cool. I didn't have Pearl though and Johto's odd distribution of certain Pokemon means I've never used one. Oh well.

Unown exists I guess.

I get the feeling Zoroark would actually be more appreciated had it not been so heavily pushed because it's a well executed pokemon in numerous respects.

I agree with this, the hate it gets seems to be mostly caused by Game Freak pushing it so much before Gen V, I really doubt many would make a big deal about Zoroark if that didn't happen.

I personally like it, but it has a hard time finding a place on my team due to dark being covered by my Weavile.

Salvadora

This is my favourite thread of 2015.

The way the conversation is structured means that every Pokemon line gets their turn in the spotlight. Even those which are often, sadly, overlooked.

ffdgh

Poor zoroark...being pushed to be something it wasn't(the next lucario) lol. Didn't help that they were event exclusive for some absurd reason in BW1

CazTGG

K7idG6A.gif

zBBffFw.gif

The only issue I have with Zoroark is that in the game it debuted, it is impossible to obtain it or its pre-evolutionary form unless you got a special Celebii or the Legendary Dogs via an event in Gen IV. I really do hate how many events there were in that generation and how they tried to tie them from one game to the next, though at least Black 2/White 2 had the decency to make one available without them and did so during the pre-credits campaign. Great design and a fun, if gimmicky, ability.

Wow, X/Y is the best Unown has ever looked in a game. Far cry from having the same sprite since the GBC.

Jsw5UU0.gif

q looks awesome

It would have been so easy for them to just make one generic floating animation and model swap the Unown. I think Stadium did that, but they went above and beyond.

Mr-Joker

Banned
If we're gonna talk about which Champ bests which, here's my line-up

Cynthia >>>>> Alder > Steven > Blue > Iris > Wallace > Lance >>>>> Diantha

Like a lot of X/Y stuff, Diantha has potential, but with such a lame team (which is made of pushovers, too), an underdeveloped personality, and basically no real involvement in the game's story, she's easily the worst of them

Oh agreed, Diantha is the worse champion period. Her team is boring heck it's more of a gimmick than a team, her personalty is boring and a bit Mary sue since she didn't know what Mega evolution was and yet somehow gain the ability to mega and she did nothing what so ever in the plot.

Yes they were. Everytime I played the game as a child I almost always ended up with a team of Kanto Pokemon with a single Johto Pokemon until the end of the game because all of the ones I like are locked away. Seriously, why is Houndour in Kanto?

I had to trade in Phanpy and Remoraid into my Soul Silver team because they are caught so late in the game that I didn't want to wait to use them.

Falkner should have had a Hoothoot and Noctowl (Or if Noctowl is too strong, Delibird).

Bugsy should have had a Spinarak and Ledyba.

Morty should have had a Misdreavus.

Chuck should have had a Heracross.

Lance should have had a Kingdra.

Agreed, the Pokémon was there for them to use so I don't get why Game Freak opted not to give them those Pokémon.

Plus Chuck should really have 3 Pokémon instead of two.

I still love Gen II despite it's flaws and weird ass design decisions, but it's pure comedy that the Kanto gym leaders have more Johto Pokemon combined than the Johto leaders (7 to Johto's 4, IIRC).

Like, it doesn't bother me, but it is kinda silly.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love gen 2 since after all it got me back into the series but it's riddled with flaws that just seems baffling.

This is my favourite thread of 2015.

The way the conversation is structured means that every Pokemon line gets their turn in the spotlight. Even those which are often, sadly, overlooked.

Same, I am loving this thread and is one of the thread I am always looking for when I come to gaf.

Keep up the great work Watch Da Birdie.

Because Lucario helped boost Pokémon popularity after it waned in gen 3, plus it's one of the rare moment when the animé and the games crosses over since Riley looked very similar to Sir Aaron from Lucario and the Mystery of Mew.

Macka

Wow, X/Y is the best Unown has ever looked in a game. Far cry from having the same sprite since the GBC.

Jsw5UU0.gif

q looks awesome

It would have been so easy for them to just make one generic floating animation and model swap the Unown. I think Stadium did that, but they went above and beyond.
Oh wow, I have never noticed that before. They look really cool here!

It also helped that Diamond and Pearl were delayed, meaning we were exposed to Lucario for years before he was released, hyping him up as a big deal.

For awhile, he was the only totally new 4th gen Pokemon we knew about, the others were Weavile, Bonsly, Mime Jr and Munchlax. Lucario was it as far as Pokemon unrelated to older Pokemon.

Being in Smash also helps a lot. Although Lucario was popular well before Brawl.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It also helped that Diamond and Pearl were delayed, meaning we were exposed to Lucario for years before he was released, hyping him up as a big deal.

For awhile, he was the only totally new 4th gen Pokemon we knew about, the others were Weavile, Bonsly, Mime Jr and Munchlax. Lucario was it as far as Pokemon unrelated to older Pokemon.

Being in Smash also helps a lot. Although Lucario was popular well before Brawl.

Ah I remember that, fun times though it made the wait for Diamond and Pearl all the more painful.

Heck when I first got Diamond I was so excited that I mashed it in so hard into my DS lite that it couldn't read it and I nearly lost it when I popped it out to reload it. I was suuuuper hype for gen 4.

woopWOOP

Misdreavus always gave me 'Castlevania Medusa heads' vibes. Really like the clearer witch theme her evolution gave. Think it's one of first the monsters I wanted to go perfect EV on, though I never did as I quit that stuff quite early.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It would be a laugh riot if they made a mega Unknown where its ability made HP super effective against the monster it was fighting and doubled its power or something/gave it priority.

Ah I remember that, fun times though it made the wait for Diamond and Pearl all the more painful.

Heck when I first got Diamond I was so excited that I mashed it in so hard into my DS lite that it couldn't read it and I nearly lost it when I popped it out to reload it. I was suuuuper hype for gen 4.

The wait for Diamond and Pearl felt like eons. They kept tossing little hints into games and stuff too, like Lucario in Mysterious Dungeon and Bonsly/Munchlax in XD.

Heropon

The wait for Diamond and Pearl felt like eons. They kept tossing little hints into games and stuff too, like Lucario in Mysterious Dungeon and Bonsly/Munchlax in XD.

And then it took almost a year after the Japanese launch to come to Europe. It took me like forever to finally play it.

Now the situation is much better with Pokémon, thankfully.

Firemind

I remember going to Smogon to see the good folks who imported the games hax the base stats. I think people lost it when they saw Garchomp's stats. Good times.

Mr-Joker

Banned
And then it took almost a year after the Japanese launch to come to Europe. It took me like forever to finally play it.

Now the situation is much better with Pokémon, thankfully.

Urgh, the waiting for the European release was painful that I just decided to import it from the US when it released and buy Pearl when it released in Europe.

At least the gap between the US and European releases started to get shorter and shorter as time went on.

K7idG6A.gif

zBBffFw.gif

Zoruark is quite overdesigned, and this is coming from someone who generally likes post-Gen II Pokemon.

Zorua is a great design, though.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
WUkMxqg.png

#202 - Wobbuffet
Psychic

Wobbuffet is another pretty rare Johto Pokemon, hidden away in the optional Dark Cave. At first glance, Wobbuffet appears to be another throwaway Pokemon---it has extremely high HP, but nothing else about its stats is anything to brag about, and it is only capable of learning a grand total of four moves, none of which are traditional attacks---Counter, Mirror Coat, Safeguard, and Destiny Bond. Most people probably ran into this weirdo, caught him, and then forgot about him, but Wobbuffet has a secret---he's quite potent. In the original Gold and Silver, he was pretty easy to abuse against the CPU with Counter and Mirror Coat though when up against actual players, he was quite easy to counter since all you had to do was keep switching out your Pokemon over and over rendering him completely useless. Then Abilities happened in Generation III, and Wobbuffet got Shadow Tag, and from then on out everything changed---if you were up against Wobbuffet, you were pretty much guaranteed to lose your Pokemon to him as you could no longer switch out. While he relies on prediction, as Counter only works on Physical-type attacks and Mirror Coat on Special-type attacks, when it comes to the competitive scene most mainstays tend to focus on one or the other, so a well-versed player easily would know every move the opponent likely has in their arsenal, and completely shut them down. Since there was no true "counter" to Wobbuffet, he was completely banned in Generation III---another reason for this is if two Wobbuffet were up against one another holding Leftovers, it'd result in an endless battle as even with Struggle, their HP would heal faster than it went down. While Wobbuffet can still be pretty potent, he's been nerfed in various ways such as Ghost-type Pokemon becoming resistant to Shadow Tag (and other Pokemon who carry Shadow Tag not being effected by it, preventing the "Endless Wobbuffet Loop"), but is still a pretty fun Pokemon to use if you're looking for an unorthodox, but fun, strategy to annoy with. Someone more versed in competitive history can probably talk about him in greater detail, but the lesson here is the stupidest looking Pokemon can be the most lethal.

Originally Wobbuffet was a somewhat disturbed and frustrated looking Pokemon, but around Generation III he started smiling, and now he's usually depicted as such making him appear quite adorable despite how flat-out weird he is---this is no doubt a result of his explosive popularity due to the anime turning this rather offbeat and obscure Pokemon into a mascot that is only beaten in number of appearances by Pikachu and Meowth in the show! In the Gold and Silver anime, Jessie traded her Lickitung for a Wobbuffet early on, and originally he wasn't anything that special, occasionally he'd use Counter and Mirror Coat, but for the most part he was just like any other Pokemon, but soon he started to pop up all the time randomly for no reason at all, and soon he basically was a mainstay of the show always yelling "WOBBUFFET!" to cap off the ending of the Team Rocket Motto. To put it simply, Wobbuffet rocks. I love this Pokemon, and even though he really never does anything in the show, he always makes me smile. I especially like how he's always paired with Meowth in the Pikachu Shorts as a somewhat makeshift Abbot and Costello duo. Wobbuffet originally was sort of hated by Team Rocket, but has since become an honored member of their squad and it seems they really care for him---does Wobbuffet feel the same way? I've always wondered if he's mocking them and takes pleasure in their suffering. In Best Wishes, the writers actually dropped Wobbuffet likely to fit the "serious Team Rocket", and it was speculated because his original Japanese VA, Yuji Ueda, was no longer on the show as Brock/Takeshi, but at the very end he suddenly returned, which I wonder if it was due to major backlash. In XY, Wobbuffet is back with Team Rocket and seems a bit more competent now, regularly partaking in battles far more often than he used to. I don't expect them to drop Wobbuffet again until they drop Team Rocket, honestly.

Wobbuffet is a pretty Japanese Pokemon in terms of his basis, as he resembles a Japanese toy known as the "Okiagari-koboshi" (getting-up little priest) which is a small toy with similar squint eyes that bounces back up if you push it over and represents perseverance. Thankfully for the localization team, this type of toy isn't unknown in the West as "roly-poly toys" as they're called are quite popular, I myself having a clown toy as a kid that worked the same way, and was like that one scary-ass clown toy Tommy's dad made for him that Chucky killed in that episode of Rugrats. Or you can just see him a punching-bag that punches back, so to speak. A more obscure element is that his Japanese name, Sonansu, is meant to sound like "sou nansu", "that's the way it is", and is based on the catchphrase of an old comedian known Hayashiya Sanpei who'd often say "that's the way it is, m'am" while holding his hand up to his forehead like Wobbuffet. I don't think this has ever been officially confirmed, but it seems like the best explanation and everyone takes it as fact, and there's not any reason to dispute it. With this in mind, you can see Wobbuffet's nature of getting beaten up but always bouncing back akin to how, say, Costello despite his goof ball tendencies would always surprise you by coming out on top in an unexpected way. The localization didn't even bother translating this pun and just focused on the nature of Wobbuffet as a "wobbling" character you "buffet" with punches.

The weirdest (?) element of Wobbuffet is his strange beaver-tail, which due to the order of the PokeDex makes you wonder if there was supposed to be some relationship between it and the Unown. According to the PokeDex, while Wobbuffet is normally very calm under attack, attacking his tail will set him off, and it's said he hides in dark caves to keep his tail out of sight---folks have long speculated that his tail is the true brain, and "Wobbuffet" is actually a strange growth, but I feel like this is an element they slowly dropped when Wobbuffet took off in popularity. The main body is so expressive and lively in basically every canon that it's hard to imagine that it's not even a real Pokemon, and personally I really hope they never reveal that to actually be the case---on the other hand, I think I recall once or twice we've seen the tail actually move, but for the most part it just limply hangs off Wobbuffet's body and never blinks or moves on its own, at least in the show.

Apart from Team Rocket's Wobbuffet, other Wobbuffet in the show are quite rare---there was an episode called "Wobbu-Palooza" focused on a town filled with people with Wobbuffet back in Johto, and just recently in XY we got an episode featuring a female Wobbuffet (complete with lipstick, like in the games) who Team Rocket's Wobbuffet had a short-lived relationship with, but ultimately left her in order to stay by Jessie's side. Very touching.

N8iEdBZ.png

#360 - Wynaut
Psychic

Wynaut is the other Baby Pokemon introduced in Generation III, and the first to be found in the Wild as one could encounter them on the mysterious Mirage Island whenever it appeared---the player also got a free Wynaut Egg early on in their adventure, making it far more accessible. Wynaut is "pointless" in the fact that it can't do anything that Wobbuffet can't, but also is important to the family as it brought three new moves to the line that only it can learn---Splash, Charm, and Encore, the latter which is very useful as combined with Shadow Tag, you can effectively shut an opponent down. Otherwise, Wynaut is all-in-all a weaker Wobbuffet, but is just as deadly when up against fellow NFE Pokemon and like Wobbuffet has also been banned in the past. Most players probably skip over them in the main adventure I imagine because while Counter/Mirror Coat is an easy strategy, it can grow a bit dull using it over and over on predictable CPU opponents, and there's no real sense of growth for the line as everything they're capable is basically available right out of the box, though Wynaut doesn't get Wobbuffet's until literally the level it evolves so you'll need to level it up indirectly.

It's simple to say that that Wynaut is based on Wobbuffet, and you'll notice it's actually Wobbuffet backwards basically---its frontal bump grows into the bump on the back of Wobbuffet's head, and its ear-arms when at rest curve backwards, thus it seems its face and tail switch sides upon evolution, or so I think that was the intent of the design. I'd say it's probably even weirder than Wobbuffet, and a pretty surprising Baby Pokemon, though Wobbuffet was quite popular thanks to the show that I don't think it was entirely out of left field---it's just that it was hard to imagine a simpler version of Wobbuffet since it was such a simple, one-note Pokemon. Note its tail now even looks more like an Unown than before. While Wobbuffet was antisocial and a loner, Wynaut are said to cluster together in weird orgies in order to squeeze one another's body to build up endurance, and unlike the originally frustrated-looking Wobbuffet, Wynaut basically always look happy, though their appearance does not reflect their actual mood at the moment. If you see one slamming its tail on the ground, watch out!

Its Japanese name, "Sohnano", is another pun, this time based on the phrase "sou na no", "really?". In Japan whenever Wobbuffet and Wynaut meet in the show, they always repeat their names to one another which to Japanese speakers is basically a repetitive conversation..."really?" "that's the way it is..." "really?" "that's the way it is" and so on and so forth. Though the localization didn't bother with Wobbuffet's pun, oddly they decided to try and work with Sohnano's pun giving us "Wynaut", though it's not really a close translation of the original meaning at all, and thus those scenes in the dub really don't make much sense. Wynaut's a cute name, and I think fits the Pokemon, and overall I don't think the localization really got the intention behind Wobbuffet's original name to catch the pun, so I can't blame them for not being fully prepared for future Japanese wordplay. Most English fans probably enjoy the names well enough, and might not even care about the changes---though personally I think it's always good to check out the original version of a dubbed property, just to get a sense of cultural differences.

Wynaut was a pre-release Generation III Pokemon, and made his debut in the Johto episode "Why? Wynaut!" where he rescued Ash's stolen Badges from Team Rocket's Wobbuffet, and also appeared in the "Camp Pikachu" short attached to Movie 5. It got a focus episode in Hoenn based around the Mirage Island from the games but otherwise compared to its evolution, its appearances are far sparser.

Toxi

Banned
Wobbuffet is the odd example of a gimmick Pokemon that works in every possible way. It fits the gimmick perfectly (You hit it, it hits you back harder), while being a competitively viable Pokemon and an instantly appealing design. Hell, I don't even mind it being one of the Johto Pokemon that's rather hard to find, since a gimmick Pokemon like Wobbuffet probably isn't the sort most people would want to use in the main in-game journey.

Basically, Wobbuffet rocks.

Toxi

Banned
The only reason to hate Wobbuffet is how wild Wobbuffet in Reflection Cave are the bane of Nuzlockes thanks to Shadow Tag.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The only reason to hate Wobbuffet is how wild Wobbuffet in Reflection Cave are the bane of Nuzlockes thanks to Shadow Tag.

Ooooooooh. This took out my Granbull. :(

XY Nuzlocke totally kicks your ass around that point---Solrock and Lunatone girl in Grant's Gym, Korrina's Lucariox2, the Brains and Brawn Duo...and then Wobbuffet fucks you up unless you're super careful.

V-Faction

Ooooooooh. This took out my Granbull. :(

XY Nuzlocke totally kicks your ass around that point---Solrock and Lunatone girl in Grant's Gym, Korrina's Lucariox2, the Brains and Brawn Duo...and then Wobbuffet fucks you up unless you're super careful.

Just doing my job, sir! As the best Pokemon ever, sir!

64r676D.gif

Crayolan

The anime made Wobuffet from an unremarkable gimmick pokemon to a hilarious weirdo. Wobuffet is awesome.

How the fuck is Ash still 10 years old?

I swear he's celebrated at least one anniversary with Pikachu before.

I'm pretty sure he celebrates his one year anniversary meeting Pikachu in the special short which airs before the the 3rd movie.

What? Wobuffet can only learn 4 moves? Does that includes TMs, HMs, and Move Tutors?

Also what in the hell is this Nuzlocke I've been seeing y'all talk about for the past few months?

What? Wobuffet can only learn 4 moves? Does that includes TMs, HMs, and Move Tutors?

Also what in the hell is this Nuzlocke I've been seeing y'all talk about for the past few months?
Nuzlocke is basically a fan-made challenge mode that anyone can play and works for all the main Poke'mon games.

These are the rules:
1. You may only catch one Poke'mon each route.

2. When a Poke'mon faints it is considered dead and must either be released or boxed permanently.

3. All Poke'mon must be named (this makes it more like a story).

Those are the main rules, but there are different types of Nuzlockes with slightly different rules. If you are looking to learn more I recommend watching some Nuzlocke playthroughs.

Rutger

Banned
Wobbuffet is awesome, probably the only Pokemon where the anime has influenced my opinion of it. The fact that it is really good in game is cool too.

Wynaut on the other hand, doesn't have the same charm.

Bladenic

Nuzlocke is basically a fan-made challenge mode that anyone can play and works for all the main Poke'mon games.

These are the rules:
1. You may only catch one Poke'mon each route.

2. When a Poke'mon faints it is considered dead and must either be released or boxed permanently.

3. All Poke'mon must be named (this makes it more like a story).

Those are the main rules, but there are different types of Nuzlockes with slightly different rules. If you are looking to learn more I recommend watching some Nuzlocke playthroughs.

POKEMON

Nightii

Banned
Wobbuffet is hilarious, and I continue to be amazed at how I never get tired of it, just a blast.

And while it doesn't work as well as the Japanese original, I think th exchanfe between Wobbuffet and Wynaut in the anime was great in the dub too, like seeing a parent reprimand a kid and the latter just questioning every single thing said with Why Not.
Wobbuffet is awesome, probably the only Pokemon where the anime has influenced my opinion of it. The fact that it is really good in game is cool too.

Wynaut on the other hand, doesn't have the same charm.
Wynaut?

Top Bottom