• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes Boss!

Totakeke said:
Thanks! Just grabbed one.

Cool, I think you bought the last one they had listed!

PA also put up actual photos of the stick and box (uses the newer PS3 branding, yay). Kinda plain but is a nice warm-up for the new stuff coming next year, for sure. Can't wait for that official Taito Vewlix stick:

pa1709096.jpg

pa1709094.jpg

pa-11709095.jpg

Pctx

Banned
Okay--- So I'm looking to get a stick here in the next 3-4 months or so for SF4 + SSF4... which is the best bet?

Just be using this on my PS3. The new Hori one looks good as well as the Round 2 TE stick. Choices choices.

Grifter

Yes Boss! said:
Placed like a cabinet. Don't worry, your hands won't go anywhere near it.
Have you seen how American tourney players mash dizzies? It's a Sanwa, right? My hand only has to be in the same zip code.

Yes Boss!

Kajiba said:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FKYPU4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Holy shit. When did it drop to $89? Think I'm going to get it right now since I need a Arcade Stick for the 360. My Hrap3 Sanwa swap is only for PS3 as of now.

Does anybody have personal experience with this stick? Just want to know how is it before I buy.

Yeah, that is a good one. Buy with confidence (my personal favorite stick). Fwiw, it was $79 a week ago for a short spell.

vocab

Yes Boss! said:
Placed like a cabinet. Don't worry, your hands won't go anywhere near it.

You would think that, but people hit start with just a HRAP, and those aren't on the same row as the buttons.

Chorazin

Yes Boss! said:
Yeah, that is a good one. Buy with confidence (my personal favorite stick). Fwiw, it was $79 a week ago for a short spell.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting one for Xmas, I needed one for my 360 as well as I only have a TE for my PS3. Looking forward to it!

Kajiba

Yes Boss! said:

Wish I didn't miss it for that price. Still brought it though.

Now I'm good when it comes to arcade sticks. No more.....Hopefully :lol

robot

I dont really see the need for that Hori, just looks like they tried to replicate the TE to a certain degree. Funny that they took the dope compartment idea.

Yes Boss!

robot said:
I dont really see the need for that Hori, just looks like they tried to replicate the TE to a certain degree. Funny that they took the dope compartment idea.

It is like the Hori version of the TE! Gotta love that...playing catch up. Can't wait to see the two side by side in a photo. V3-SA is kinda plain jane, though. Not too exciting but I bet in the flesh it will totally deliver. Form factor does seem to reflect the recent Twin Stick, which is nice. Continuity!

If anybody gets it in tomorrow please post pics! Mine is not scheduled till Wednesday and my last PA package was held up in customs in Alaska for a week until I faxed FCC info.

RedSquare

robot said:
The V's compartment door is beefier. That said, I'm going to wait until my wallet recovers from Christmas.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
4207517495_a2c07eeec6_b.jpg

courtesy of skelter on SRK forums.

Very interesting, security bits for the stick mounting area and not standard cross/philipps screws?

Interesting.

Also Sega Astro City style connects for the buttons.

Yes Boss! said:

Yeah I managed to snag one for that price... which only makes me regreting owning the TE more since I spend more than twice as much for it! But yeah, I think I'm done with stick buying for the 360... now to just get rid of that Tekken 6 wireless stick.

Also did anyone notice someone is selling Tekken 6 LE HRAPs on Amazon for $117 shipped?

51evLiLrh-L._SS400_.jpg

Of course the EX-SE is still a better stick for a better price, but I know some of you guys collect these things...

Yes Boss!

SlaughterX said:
Also did anyone notice someone is selling Tekken 6 LE HRAPs on Amazon for $117 shipped?

That is a good price for somebody who lives stateside and wants to avoid heavy import charges. About $50 cheaper. QDs throughout for easy mod. Still, a pretty boring theme stick. The SFIV, DS, and Mushi HRAPS were a lot more fun.

I never posted mine in this thread but here is what I did to my PS3 version:

P1020880-1.jpg

Help!

I got Sanwa parts in for my SE Fightstick today. So... I open the stick and begin replacing both the stick and the buttons. I replaced all of the buttons but one (bottom row, third from left). It's like the quick disconnect was too tight on the button and I was unable to get it off. In the midst of trying to remove it, I broke the disconnect. :(

So... how do I get a replacement for this? I see they sell quick disconnects at Radio Shack. Is it a standard size?

RedSquare

My local Radio Shacks don't carry .110 qd's so, you might wanna try your local auto parts store. All of our auto stores carry them, albeit they're expensive, so I usually...:D

RedSquare said:
My local Radio Shacks don't carry .110 qd's so, you might wanna try your local auto parts store. All of our auto stores carry them, albeit they're expensive, so I usually...:D

Yikes... I just looked them up... $7 at Auto Zone.

Well, I just spent $75 on parts, so I guess...

JLateralus said:
Yikes... I just looked them up... $7 at Auto Zone.

Well, I just spent $75 on parts, so I guess...

If you have any other electronics stores around try there first. Radio shack DOES sell .110 QDs, but they're in a pack with others. :(

I've got an Altex near me that sells them in 15 packs for a buck and I KNOW Fry's carries them, too.

hikarutilmitt said:
If you have any other electronics stores around try there first. Radio shack DOES sell .110 QDs, but they're in a pack with others. :(

I've got an Altex near me that sells them in 15 packs for a buck and I KNOW Fry's carries them, too.

Thanks, I'll check with my radio shack tomorrow. No Frys or Altex around here. I'm pretty sure Best Buy doesn't carry anything like that. If not, I guess I'll head over to Auto Zone.

I've never worked much with QDs before. Do I need anything special to crimp them onto a wire?

JLateralus said:
Thanks, I'll check with my radio shack tomorrow. No Frys or Altex around here. I'm pretty sure Best Buy doesn't carry anything like that. If not, I guess I'll head over to Auto Zone.

I've never worked much with QDs before. Do I need anything special to crimp them onto a wire?

Not really. Just remove enough of the sheath from the wire to fit into the QD then crimp it down. One thing I tend to do when I crimp them is take a good amount of sheath off and sort of loop the exposed wire inside of the QD so it can hold better if the wire is a high gauge (I tend to use 23/24 that's used inside of CAT5e). But then when I'm doing projects like this I'm also actively using a soldering iron, so I also put a tiny amount of solder into it, too.

NeoGIF

Yes Boss! said:
V came in. This thing is really light. Not really the heft of the HRAP 3 and TE. Photos with some of my recent sticks and the insides:

Christ, that thing is long. How is the performance on it so far?

hikarutilmitt said:
Not really. Just remove enough of the sheath from the wire to fit into the QD then crimp it down. One thing I tend to do when I crimp them is take a good amount of sheath off and sort of loop the exposed wire inside of the QD so it can hold better if the wire is a high gauge (I tend to use 23/24 that's used inside of CAT5e). But then when I'm doing projects like this I'm also actively using a soldering iron, so I also put a tiny amount of solder into it, too.

Ok cool. Sounds pretty straightforward. I'm used to crimping CAT3 and CAT5 so this should be easy enough.

Thanks for your help. Gonna hit up Radio Shack tomorrow and check it out.

Yes Boss!

NeoGIF said:
Christ, that thing is long. How is the performance on it so far?

So far fantastic! Queued up SFIV on the PS3 to try it out. I've been on Seimitsu sticks for the last few months so this one feels extra silky. The size is really, really nice, though. Light for transport but the large and wide profile more than makes up and it is nice and stable. Class act and you can't beat the graphics. The cord storage door does seem a little flimsy and I don't think this one will be too friendly for the custom modders...some drawbacks.

Also, the LED light for the controller number is very elegant.

AZ Greg

Does anyone know if the 360 HRAP EX-SA is going to be coming to the states ala the EX-SE?

Also, I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on the EX-SE, but having never used Seimitsu parts and not being a big shooter player, I'm worried if it'll hurt my fighting game which I've been using nothing but Sanwa on and the genre I'd be using the EX-SE with the most. I know it seems to be a preference things (Which, in addition to how gorgeous the stick is, is why I want to give one a shot), but has anyone seem their skill level in a fighter drop when going form Sanwa to Seimitsu? Or if you're good with one you'll be good with both despite the slight feel differences?

Hey arcade stick age, I have a question for you. I replaced the stick that came on my madcatz standard edition with a Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT-SK. I've been using it for a while, pleased. But the last couple of days the resistance given by the stick has been...quite different. Actually the last few days, the could have sworn that the stick had zero resistance when doing dash and dp motions in sf4. It made me feel like I had to relearn my combos.

The funny thing now it is completely opposite in that it feels like there's too much resistance given by the stick. Could there be something wrong with hardware with this much variation?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
MarkMan said:
OMG, I just opened up that one gift I got from my gal friend.

<3 <3 <3

She got me an arcade stick I never had before!

The wrapping paper said 'please don't tear when opening' so I thought hmmm?

Inside it says "I bet you knew this was an arcade stick" and "you're my favorite" <3!

<3

Fuck what you heard, the quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach maybe...

But the quickest way to MarkMan's heart is getting him an arcade stick!!!

<3

Merry Christmas

(Pics later) !

And here are the pics!

4216018352_afbf707606_b.jpg

4215247191_cf40b3b558_b.jpg

Ok, 150 came earlier than expected.

152 by Wednesday :p

snap0212

Heyho!

I have some money left after Christmas and thought about getting an arcade stick (finally). I don’t really play fighting games (only Tekken) but I always wanted to have one since I was a kid. Remember playing some Donkey Kong clone and it was awesome! I know there are a lot of people on GAF who are really into modding their sticks, changing buttons and stuff. Maybe one of you could suggest me one that’s not too expensive and considered to be “good” for someone who just wants to mash buttons a bit. Please don’t kill me if my questions are stupid. (I've read a bit of this thread but don't even understand most of the things you're talking about. :lol)

Is it even worth it if I usually don’t play fighting games at all?

Is there a list of games that support them (Xbox 360 and PS3, preferably downloadable games)?

Thanks in advance!

Totakeke

Got my HRAP V3 today, the box was smaller than I expected with minimal packaging materials inside. It's pretty much what you expect except it's so much lighter than the previous HRAP 2/3 models which is a good thing. The side protrusions make it pretty nice to pick up and carry around too. Overall, I like it a lot.

Something I did in my absence:

My "heavenly" bluetooth PS3 stick.
Wireless! (gutted Sixaxis + Toodles' AXISdapter)
Sanwa JLF and Seimitsu PS-14-KNs

I finished it a couple weeks ago.

AZ Greg

360 EX-SE owners I need your help!

- Can anyone provide a good straight on picture of it from above? Preferably side by side with a TE? The TE pic would be nice but isn't necessary. I just need a top picture of the EX-SE so I can gauge the size, hand space, etc...

- Also, how is it in terms of modding? Soldered or QDs?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom