• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 21 - 27, 2009

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Teddman said:
A lot of people thought it would actually exceed the Wii overall. It was outselling it week after week.

Don't act like this is not a dramatic slap in the face to the FF franchise and its hardware selling power.

All I'm sayin'!
Question: How many Media Create threads have you read fully in the past two months?

Teddman said:
A lot of people thought it would actually exceed the Wii overall. It was outselling it week after week.

Don't act like this is not a dramatic slap in the face to the FF franchise and its hardware selling power. It's a definite sign the people are not willing to pay HD console premium in Japan, even for a top ranked franchise like Final Fantasy.

All I'm sayin'!
Yeah, but it's no shock when the runner up console is the runner up. It's rare that the market leading console slips up though. Therefore I say the entire market is going to be a lot smaller this gen over last gen. I think the Wii is going to struggle to get to 14 million units. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get to 12 million units.

Road

Weird doesn't even begin to describe the last couple of MC threads. I see this one is on the same route.

Someone asked about Phantom Hourglass (First Week / LTD):

[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - 302,887 / 902,202
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - 291,000 / ?

(Media Create; numbers compiled by Chris1964.)

Teddman said:

Don't act like this is not a dramatic slap in the face to the FF franchise and its hardware selling power. It's a definite sign the people are not willing to pay HD console premium in Japan, even for a top ranked franchise like Final Fantasy.

All I'm sayin'!

How is that a slap on the face when FFXIII and PS3 first week sales surpassed most people expectations by far, with 200K PS3 bundles on the street and becoming the first 3rd party console game that reach the 1M mark?

Osuwari

hm something that got me thinking about DS sales was that it is so close to 30 million and its price has only increased since launch in japan and the best selling season it had was before the price increases began.
could it go down in history as the first system to never drop in price and only increase over time in japan? also, i wonder how a price drop would affect DS sales.

Teddman

Relaxed Muscle said:
How is that a slap on the face when FFXIII and PS3 sales, last week surpassed most people expectations by far, with 200K PS3 bundles on the street and becoming the first 3rd party console game that reach the 1M mark?
That's sad.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Relaxed Muscle said:
How is that a slap on the face when FFXIII and PS3 first week sales surpassed most people expectations by far, with 200K PS3 bundles on the street and becoming the first 3rd party console game that reach the 1M mark?
Actually the PS3's sales during FFXIII's week were simply astounding. Let's check out Stump's analysis:

Stumpokapow said:
I'd hardly say the hardware sales were merely good. Since the PS2 has launched, here's the number of home console weeks above 200,000:

2006-11-27 Wii 371936
2007-12-17 Wii 263718
2007-12-31 Wii 242802
(2006-12-18 Wii 203079 2006-12-25 Wii 203079 -- combined week)

2000-02-28 PS2 630552
(2001-12-24 PS2 281818 2001-12-31 PS2 281818 -- combined week)
(2003-12-22 PS2 201090 2003-12-29 PS2 201090 -- combined week)

So basically this is the PS3's best ever week by a huge margin, and it's the fourth best overall home console hardware in the last decade. Or if you exclude the combined weeks and launch weeks, the second best home consoles hardware sales ever.

Osuwari

in the PS3's defense, it has been selling good only after the price drop. sales were completely craptacular before it. it was already a stretch to have it beat the Wii in a few months and it is a bit surprising it was so close. too bad NSMBWii ate its cake.
next year will be more interesting since both will run full year with their new prices.

Wow, NSMB's legs are like tree trunks; simply amazing!

Shame about Spirit Tracks, hope the western sales make up for a disappointing start (yes I know that Zelda has always been more popular outside of Japan)

Spiegel

Thunder Monkey said:
When I say dead, I mean it in like an aging mans penis kind of dead. I mean yeah, it's still there, but it doesn't do much of anything. It occasionally makes a mess on itself, but it's rarely something you want to make attention of.

PS3 Q1 2010:

Yakuza 4, Gran Turismo 5, Hokuto Musou, End of Eternity, Resident Evil 5: Alternate Edition, Star Ocean 4 and some smaller games.

Life doesn't end after FFXIII

GCX

Osuwari said:
hm something that got me thinking about DS sales was that it is so close to 30 million and its price has only increased since launch in japan and the best selling season it had was before the price increases began.
could it go down in history as the first system to never drop in price and only increase over time in japan? also, i wonder how a price drop would affect DS sales.
I doubt price drop would have any dramatic consequences for a system that has sold 30 million units.

obaidr

Banned
Spiegel said:
PS3 Q1 2010:

Yakuza 4, Gran Turismo 5, Hokuto Musou, End of Eternity, Resident Evil 5: Alternate Edition, Star Ocean 4 and some smaller games.

like on the Wii After Mario.

Spiegel said:
PS3 Q1 2010:

All of those titles aside from GT5 qualify as smaller titles. Hell one is a remake from a title released in the past year.

Home consoles are on their last legs as the handheld armada barrels down on them in a blitzkrieg of flaming kittens!

duckroll

Spiegel said:
PS3 Q1 2010:

How many of those are million sellers? I would say none, so I guess they're all "smaller games". :)

AniHawk

duckroll said:
How many of those are million sellers? I would say none, so I guess they're all "smaller games". :)

Even GT5? I'm real hesitant to say anything bad about GT5. It has powers. Political powers.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Spiegel said:

It does until
FFVIIR
:eek:

Really though....what's the big surprise here? FFXIII is following an entirely normal pattern based on previous FFs.

As for PS3 hardware sales going forward...I dunno. But the slim seemed to sell itself for many weeks after release. Maybe that was anticipatory demand ahead of FFXIII but folks say the Japanese market doesn't really work like that. I'm not sure it needs a FFXIII every month for sales to remain relatively buoyed post-Slim but we'll see I guess. The above listed games are not market shattering titles indeed, but they may help keep things ticking over at a reasonable level.

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
Depends where DQX goes. That's worth like... two FFXIIIs.

...which is what the PS3 is getting.

Hurry! We need DQVII to balance out FFXIV in this arbitrary, meaningless competition!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
cvxfreak said:
...which is what the PS3 is getting.

Hurry! We need DQVII to balance out FFXIV in this arbitrary, meaningless competition!
Maybe we can get into a debate about which platform Kingdom Hearts 3 will release on.

We haven't had one of those for a few hours.

duckroll

Nirolak said:
Maybe we can get into a debate about which platform Kingdom Hearts 3 will release on.

We haven't had one of those for a few hours.

Here, I'll contribute: KH3 is coming out on the PSP next week!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AniHawk said:
Is this Japan only or a worldwide release?
Japan only :/

I wonder if it will actually be released this fiscal year in the West. While PSP games don't sell that much as a whole, it would still make the next fiscal year climb even harder.

This reminds me, I need to update my PSP in 2010 thread one last time before posting it on Saturday.

Top30:
01. / 02. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 506,000 / 2,440,000
02. / 00. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 291,000 / NEW
03. / 03. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 227,000 / 2,317,000
04. / 01. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 189,000 / 1,690,000
05. / 04. [NDS] Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (Pokemon) - 125,000 / 3,465,000
06. / 05. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 114,000 / 1,315,000
07. / 06. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2 Fire/Blizzard (Level 5) - 99,000 / 908,000
08. / 11. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 72,000 / 1,568,000
09. / 12. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 2 (Bandai Namco) - 64,000 / 200,000
10. / 08. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Flute of Malevolent Spirits (Level 5) - 64,000 / 559,000

11. / 07. [WII] PokePark Wii: Picachu's Great Adventure (Pokemon Co.)
12. / 09. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega)
13. / 14. [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)
14. / 16. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
15. / 13. [NDS] Pen 1 Grand Prix: A Penguin's Trouble Special (Konami)
16. / 18. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)
17. / 24. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
18. / 27. [WII] Momotaro Railway 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki (Hudson)
19. / 20. [WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei)
20. / 15. [PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Namco Bandai)
21. / 17. [PSP] Naruto: Shippuden Narutimate Accelerator 3 (Namco Bandai)
22. / 22. [NDS] Powerful Pro-Kun Pocket 12 (Konami)
23. / 25. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Namco Bandai)
24. / 19. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix)
25. / 28. [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)
26. / 35. [NDS] Doraemon Baseball 2: Nettou Ultra Stadium (Namco Bandai)
27. / 00. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP the Best) (reprint) (Capcom)
28. / 32. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Square Enix)
29. / 00. [PS2] Little Busters! Converted Edition (Prototype)
30. / 30. [NDS] Metal Fight Beyblade: Bakutan Cyber Pegasus (Hudson)

http://japan.gamespot.com/news/story/0,3800076565,20406051,00.htm

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Huh, Phantasy Star seems to be showing some legs.

I wonder if the supposed quality boost really did help it along.

Edit:

And Tales is out of the top 30.

duckroll

cvxfreak said:
Just like RE4 hit the Dreamcast in 2000!

I don't think my Dreamcast works anymore. :(

Mine doesn't. It boots, but I think the drive is busted. I hooked it up and tried to play some Mars Matrix a few months ago, and it wouldn't load the disc. :(

duckroll

Sengoku Musou 3 is doing a pretty decent job of sticking on the charts. I wonder what the LTD will be, could end up looking a lot better than the first week indicated.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
PokePark is most likely between 230k-250k at this point.

I wonder if we'll start seeing more retail, non-coliseum Pokemon games on consoles now.

duckroll

Nirolak said:
PokePark is most likely between 230k-250k at this point.

I wonder if we'll start seeing more retail, non-coliseum Pokemon games on consoles now.

I dunno. Considering the Stadium/Colosseum games (and even Pokemon Snap) did way more than that, I don't really see it indicative of anything for Pokemon console games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
I dunno. Considering the Stadium/Colosseum games (and even Pokemon Snap) did way more than that, I don't really see it indicative of anything for Pokemon console games.
Hmm, fair point.

I guess the only way it'd do that is by having really great legs, but I'm not sure if it will or not.

Hard to know exactly how much without numbers but it does seem holidays are helping quite a few titles like Phantasy Star Portable 2, Taiko 2, Gundam vs Gundam Next Plus, Samurai Warriors 3, Momotaro 2010, Winning Eleven 2010 PSP, Naruto Accel 3 which wouldn't be normally having this legs. Probably they will drop off heavy time after next week though, at least that's better for them than quite a few others which doesn't seem to be enjoying this.

Losing early fami top30 still hurts :(

Hell we still don't have top30 for Dec 14 to Dec 20...I hope Famitsu gives that tomorrow and not delay it for a week to give it combined with 21-27 week.

cvxfreak said:
Tales of Graces is performing more pathetically than I could have imagined. Keep Tales on HD systems, Namco.

Would some quick and easy ports work for or against the brand? Like, Symphonia and Abyss to the PSP or something.

DMeisterJ

Banned
PS3 sells 250k units in one week = dead. :lol

FFXIII sells 1.7 million units in 2 weeks = dead :lol

FFXIII follows a pattern set forth by every other FF game in terms of front-loadedness = bad legs :lol

Have I stepped into some sort of twilight zone this morning? :/

--

Yeesh @ tales :(

aberckmans

Neo Member
I know the FFXIII drop is in line with previous releases in the series but I can't help but be disappointed given the timing of this release right in the middle of the holiday push. Is it a fair to have hoped for a smaller drop or was I just fooling myself?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh, speaking of the Tales series, Yoshiaki Inagaki mentioned something quite relevant to Sales-Age about the series a couple of weeks ago.

In case people missed it, it seems that Tales games may now be releasing every six months, once in the Summer, and one near New Years:

Namco Forums said:
So after a long time I visited Yoshiaki Inagaki's website again (you may remember him from earlier discussion, he was the main graphic and original character designer of ToP SFC).

If I understand correctly on his BBS he made an update after he visited this year's TGS. Regarding the Tales series he seems to mention that Namco intends to expand Tales development to "Tora-san" style (no idea if that's an official statement by a Namco person or just a private commentary by Inagaki). Those people not familiar with Japanese culture, Tora san is a sympathetic character from the long running popular series of films called Otoko wa Tsurai yo in which he visits different regions of Japan and tries but ultimately fails to befriend a woman in each. The series started in 1969 and went on until 1996 when the main actor died. There were one new film every half a year, one in summer and one around new year.

Sounds familiar? Discuss!
Source: http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache...ent&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

My apologies for using Google Cache here, but apparently their forums are down right now.

cvxfreak

Well, in that case, keeping the series on DS or Wii in one season and on HD/PSP in the other (or some other combination) makes a lot of sense too.

Culex

Banned
The most depressing thing about Tales bombing is that it's one of the highest rated in the series. A real shame since you'd think RPG starved Wii owners would gobble it up.

Top Bottom