• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria has reached 110,000 owners on Steam as per Steamspy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyoro SF

That's a year after release :) And yes, the sales picked up after, with the greatest hits release in Japan, and a price cut in the US. This isn't unusual for a new IP. PC sales for Valkyria are amazing, but it was already a known quantity, held in high esteem by that time, so it's not really comparing apples to apples.

Oops, right. Well, no one would deny that it's preceding reputation definitely helped its Steam debut. I think though that for a AAA game on PS3, it definitely severely underperformed and was mistreated on release by Sega America.

Fisico

EDIT :Nvm

Hell, in Zestiria's case, it was a PS3 exclusive releasing two years into the PS4's life. There's no chance it could have been successful on PS3 alone at that point (Sorry Yakuza).

I guess everyone here knows that already, no one denied it needed ports on others platforms and PS4 & PC were the two logical choices.

You forget that although steam prices are low, often times they can be offset by not having to go through retailer channels who suck up a lot of the profits as well before it gets back to the publisher or development house

So even if you sell on a sale, your still making more money than a discounted retail unit by a notable margin.

About that (honest question here) considering the 20$ steam price makes 14$ for the publisher, which price on console on retail does it need for the publisher to get the same amount ? 30$ ? 40$ ?

Even with bomba bins and all, I think it's very unlikely that Sega didn't make more money with every PS3 copy sold on average vs PC copy sold (where most of them were sold through sales, which kinda is the same thing than bomba bins if you only look at direct revenue stream).

Said full price was 20$ though.

He's talking about Zestiria bruv.

Valkyria sold around 350k, more than half its sales on Steam, at $20 before its first sale.

ITT: The anti-Steam crowd successfully makes themselves look like asses once more, as with every major thread on JRPG sales on PC.

Said full price was 20$ though.

About that (honest question here) considering the 20$ steam price makes 14$ for the publisher, which price on console on retail does it need for the publisher to get the same amount ? 30$ ? 40$ ?

Last time I checked, the price of Zestiria is $50, not $20.
In Russia or Brazil, perhaps.

Fisico

Yeah my bad, Silent Chief probably was talking about Valkyria Chronicles which is why I was confused.

It would be nice to not act as if it was the only thing I said in my post, I don't really care about your platform war stuff :)

Yeah my bad, Silent Chief probably was talking about Valkyria Chronicles which is why I was confused.

It would be nice to not act as if it was the only thing I said in my post, I don't really care about your platform war stuff :)

...Because pointing out the Threadshitting that happens in every single thread about PC sales of JRPGs is "platform war stuff". If there's any "Platform war stuff" going on, it's the people who just have to waltz into every thread on these kinds of topics to do everything they can do to try and downplay Steam at all costs, with little regard for facts or actual understanding of how the industry works.

Also, if you're going to compare releasing at $20 a non-remaster 6 years after original release to "bargain-bin", you're forgetting one very major thing: Retailers tend to cease ordering copies of a game once it hits bargain-bin, putting an end to any revenue stream there. Sega likely didn't make a cent on retail copies of Valkyria Chronicles in the west from 2009 on, with obvious exception being the DLCs on PSN, because no retailers were ordering new copies of it with an abundance of unopened or used copies in the bargain-bin.

Fisico

...Because pointing out the Threadshitting that happens in every single thread about PC sales of JRPGs is "platform war stuff". If there's any "Platform war stuff" going on, it's the people who just have to waltz into every thread on these kinds of topics to do everything they can do to try and downplay Steam at all costs, with little regard for facts or actual understanding of how the industry works.

I guessed as much, you may be right for all I know (I'm not often in these kind of threads) but as soon as the discussion goes into that direction, and as I said earlier, it's simply not really interesting.

Also, if you're going to compare releasing at $20 a non-remaster 6 years after original release to "bargain-bin", you're forgetting one very major thing: Retailers tend to cease ordering copies of a game once it hits bargain-bin, putting an end to any revenue stream there. Sega likely didn't make a cent on retail copies of Valkyria Chronicles in the west from 2009 on, with obvious exception being the DLCs on PSN, because no retailers were ordering new copies of it with an abundance of unopened or used copies in the bargain-bin.

I'm not, it just wasn't what I was talking about².

My point was to try to figure out how much money (a rough idea of course) was made through the PS3 version because we approximately know how much was made with the Steam release.

For example the game didn't hit bargain bins in Japan and sold 140k copies at premium price (~let's say 60$) and 100k in its best version (~30$), it made for around 11.4M$ of gross sales, for simplicity sake let's say 5M$ once every third party took its share (constructor, manufacturing, retailer etc.)

To reach that 5M$ number in benefits (minus marketing) a game on Steam would need to hit ~7M$ in gross sales, with Valkyria Chronicles at an average 10$ for each copy sold it would need 700.000 copies.

I think at this point you get the idea even if the data is far from being 100% accurate, the money made with 600k copies on Steam is more or less in the same ballpark than the money the original release on PS3 made in Japan with ~240k copies (at an average retail price around ~47$).

Knowing that in the west the game sold most likely at least twice (240k+480k is still far from 1M) as much it would have needed to be at an average retail price of <23$³ to not match the amount of money which was made through Steam, something that seems unlikely and make what you said earlier

I can guarantee you, 100%, that if Azure Revolution gets localized, it'll be entirely because of PC sales.

A bit of an overstatement, while Steam sales are great and make everyone happy, gamers and publishers alike or at least it should, if consoles weren't there the games wouldn't be localized in the first place.

It's not because DarkLordMalik was downplaying the PC performance that you should play the same game in the other side. Which is how we got to talk about Valkyria Chronicles in the first place (but as long as it's an educated discussion I'm totally fine with it)

²Regarding unsold copies it's something that would hurt a potential sequel (something we never got, at least on PS3) and trust in the franchise, not copies which were shipped and sold through retailers (unless they can return unsold copies, which may be the case in western markets?).

³NPD and GFK have info regarding this, alas this data hasn't been publicly shared as far as I know, of course nothing here is solid math but just conjectures to have a general idea.
If you have any info that may make it more accurate feel free to share

Slightly off topic but Tales of Zestiria is $33.49 at Gamersgate.com
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-TALESOFZESTIRIA/tales-of-zestiria
Price matching it's price during the Winter Seal

To be fair it isn't more off topic than discussing Valkyria Chronicles sales :p

BKK

Sega likely didn't make a cent on retail copies of Valkyria Chronicles in the west from 2009 on, with obvious exception being the DLCs on PSN, because no retailers were ordering new copies of it with an abundance of unopened or used copies in the bargain-bin.

Of course they re-order copies when there is demand, VC got a budget release in April 2009 (nearly selling as much that month as it did in it's launch month ... NPD US).

Recently these types of threads really confuse me. Instead of being happy that relatively niche Japanese games are seeing success in the West on both console and PC, with the benefit that players on both platforms have more chance of seeing their favourite titles localised, it seems that there is a significant number of people who would rather try to point out how bad (often without any accurate data, or realistic notion of actual costs) sales of said games are on their non-favoured platfrom.

Maybe I should just take a leaf out of Durante's book and start using the ignore filter.

Impressive and with Steam it'll only get better from here the good thing about this platform at least is that it won't get replaced and people will likely be actively buying these games years from now so as long as the series continues on the platform and from word of mouth.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Threads that just exist to say "a bunch of games are coming out for a platform" do little to encourage interesting or in-depth discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom