• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I maintain the WWE handled Hulk Hogan poorly.

It cut bait when it should have allowed Hogan to make an on-air apology during Raw. And then I would have put Hogan's fate to a vote. The "universe" would get to decide if Hogan's apology was sincere and if he deserved continued employment.

Then I would have sent Hogan out on whatever sort of media tour I could conjure up to speak about racism, his hurtful comments, the apology, and his regret.

When he'd done his penance -- with the understanding that he was sincere and forthright throughout the whole procress -- I would have reinstated him as a legend.

What's this all about? Are you serious? You think that this is a better way to handle what Hogan did? Instead of cutting all ties, they should have BROUGHT FANS' OPINIONS in to this to see if he should keep his job?

Also his regret was about getting caught, not about what he said.

Or this could just be some wild joke that I'm not sensing is a joke.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I don't always love combining Vince gifs with non-wrestling content, but this is terrific:
vince-mcmahon-long-egg-reaction-going-wild-1395416443n.gif

What the fuck is that?

I maintain the WWE handled Hulk Hogan poorly.

It cut bait when it should have allowed Hogan to make an on-air apology during Raw. And then I would have put Hogan's fate to a vote. The "universe" would get to decide if Hogan's apology was sincere and if he deserved continued employment.

Then I would have sent Hogan out on whatever sort of media tour I could conjure up to speak about racism, his hurtful comments, the apology, and his regret.

When he'd done his penance -- with the understanding that he was sincere and forthright throughout the whole procress -- I would have reinstated him as a legend.

This would have been a PR disaster.

Cagey

Banned

Big Show and Kane tag-team tossing people out of the ring as Authority enforcers who could only lose once their alliance broke down was great storytelling, Roman and Bryan had the best match either one had in awhile at the PPV following Royal Rumble, the main event of Wrestlemania 31 was awesome, Bryan had what would have been a great role had he not gotten hurt again but he did and thus it would have been disastrous to go with WM30 Part 2 storytelling, and 11 months later, Philly is giving Roman a standing ovation.

It's almost like WWE got it right last year and people are mad for no good reason (Kevin Dunn references being a dead giveaway).

klonere

Banned
Big Show and Kane tag-team tossing people out of the ring as Authority enforcers who could only lose once their alliance broke down was great storytelling, Roman and Bryan had the best match either one had in awhile at the PPV following Royal Rumble, the main event of Wrestlemania 31 was awesome, Bryan had what would have been a great role had he not gotten hurt again but he did and thus it would have been disastrous to go with WM30 Part 2 storytelling, and 11 months later, Philly is giving Roman a standing ovation.

It's almost like WWE got it right last year and people are mad for no good reason (Kevin Dunn references being a dead giveaway).

qGTdD6J.gif

kitzkozan

Meanwhile, the 5'9, 155 pound rough looking Irishman outdraws all of Vince's mastodons by a huge margin.

Lulz, that and Ronda Rousey generating more money for the UFC than any diva or female wrestler ever did under Vince (and outdrawing Vince's mastodons as well). The biggest UFC card will be the one with the Rousey / Holm rematch while Sasha Banks will still be stuck with Naomi and Tamina doing lame crap and Bayley will possibly be lost on the main roster.

klonere

Banned
Alright who is dethroning Mil this season in LU.

Pentagon?
Cuerno?
Rey?
Puma?

Who has the power level to kill what can't be killed?

Sephzilla

5v9he6U.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

It was good. Also lots of people upset with Big Show winning the Andre Battle Royale, but it's perfect. The big guy NEEDS to win it sometime, that reinforces the idea that the biggest dude can win in a battle royale, which WWE had shied away from for a LONG time. And when two big guys team up in the Rumble, they are NEARLY unstoppable. When you're right, you're right.

UberTag

I watched some of the Bryan mania 30 build a while ago and Triple H was really fucking good in the post rumble to mania build.

I hope he brings that A game for the Roman feud.
It's a tougher sell on Triple H's part because he has to convince fans that he despises Roman Reigns and everything he stands for and that's a tough sell. It came naturally with Daniel Bryan because you felt that there was conviction in his malice and believed genuinely that he felt D.Brine was a B+ player who couldn't cut it. The Roman feud has to be backed up by bullshit and will require an A+ game out of Triple H to get folks invested into wanting to see Hunter's downfall and Roman's triumph.

Zach

It was good. Also lots of people upset with Big Show winning the Andre Battle Royale, but it's perfect. The big guy NEEDS to win it sometime, that reinforces the idea that the biggest dude can win in a battle royale, which WWE had shied away from for a LONG time. And when two big guys team up in the Rumble, they are NEARLY unstoppable. When you're right, you're right.
I mean, this was sound wrassle logic in 1986, but it's 2016, daddeh, and you need to change with the times. Well it's the Big Shooowww and Kane shouldn't even be on TV anymore.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, this was sound wrassle logic in 1986, but it's 2016, daddeh, and you need to change with the times. Well it's the Big Shooowww and Kane shouldn't even be on TV anymore.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I guess the biggest problem is with millennial culture believing that even though they're completely regular, they feel they should have a chance against titans because they're supposed to be special, or at least that's what their parents tell them.

Sometimes you need a big asshole to make you humble and put you in your place.

MC Safety

What's this all about? Are you serious? You think that this is a better way to handle what Hogan did? Instead of cutting all ties, they should have BROUGHT FANS' OPINIONS in to this to see if he should keep his job?

Also his regret was about getting caught, not about what he said.

Or this could just be some wild joke that I'm not sensing is a joke.

No joke, "Vince."

I'd have had Hogan repent on live TV.

This would have been a PR disaster.

And, no.

It would have been brilliant publicity and a stand against racism for the WWE. Provided, of course, Hogan was sincere.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No joke, "Vince."

I'd have had Hogan repent on live TV.

I can't see that going well at all, it'd smack of pandering and lies, especially considering what Hogan's first appearance after that was like. I just can't see any way this would work besides how WWE went about it.

Sephzilla

Wrassling logic should dictate that the biggest guys should be the first guys eliminated because everyone else would team up to take them out. 10 other guys should easily be able to overpower and eliminate one or two big guys. Especially old shits like Big Slow and Kane.

Zach

I guess the biggest problem is with millennial culture believing that even though they're completely regular, they feel they should have a chance against titans because they're supposed to be special, or at least that's what their parents tell them.

Stop with your self-hating millennial schtick, you millennial.

And I'm all about having some "special titans" featured, but Big Show and Kane are extremely dull and old and un-entertaining. Find some newer big dudes.

Sephzilla

And I'm all about having some "special titans" featured, but Big Show and Kane are extremely dull and old and un-entertaining. Find some newer big dudes.

Find some newer big dudes that actually have some talent, though. Otherwise we get more Khali's and Strowmans.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

wak wak wak. We didn't have Strowman last year, but we do now. He's someone I'd put in that echelon. Rowan does NOT do it for me, though, he looks dopey at every turn. Harper is dope though, but lacks the amount of beef and striations.

Kaladin

"Vince" talking about millennials again. What was that about gimmick posting?

Sephzilla

I just hope Big Cass can get a little more muscular and deliver a slightly better promo soon, because then Vince can finally send Big Show and Kane out to pasture in favor of his new younger 7 foot guy.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B
The Great American Bash '92 - C+
SummerSlam '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XX - B+
Halloween Havoc '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXI - C+
Survivor Series '92 - C-
Starrcade '92 - B-

Clash of the Champions XXII - B
Royal Rumble '93 - C
SuperBrawl III - B-
WrestleMania IX - C-
Slamboree '93 - D+
King of the Ring '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXIII - B-
Beach Blast '93 - B-
Clash of the Champions XXIV - C+
SummerSlam '93 - D
Fall Brawl '93 - C-
Halloween Havoc '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXV - C-
BattleBowl - D
Survivor Series '93 - F
Starrcade '93 - C

Royal Rumble '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVI - B-
SuperBrawl IV - B-
WrestleMania X - B-
Spring Stampede '94 - B
Slamboree '94 - C
King of the Ring '94 - D
Clash of the Champions XXVII - C
Bash at the Beach '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVIII - C+
SummerSlam '94 - C-
Fall Brawl '94 - C-
Halloween Havoc '94 - D+
Clash of the Champions XXIX - D
Survivor Series '94 - F
Starrcade '94 - D

Royal Rumble '95 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXX - D+
SuperBrawl V - D+
Uncensored '95 - F
WrestleMania XI - D+
In Your House 1 - C-
Slamboree '95 - C-
The Great American Bash '95 - D
King of the Ring '95 - F
Bash at the Beach '95 - F
In Your House 2: The Lumberjacks - C
Clash of the Champions XXXI - C
SummerSlam '95 - C+
Fall Brawl '95 - D+
In Your House 3: Triple Header - C+
In Your House 4: Great White North - D+
Halloween Havoc '95 - F
Survivor Series '95 - C+
World War 3 '95 - C
In Your House 5: Seasons Beatings - C-
Starrcade '95 - B-

Royal Rumble '96 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXXII - C
SuperBrawl VI - D+
In Your House 6: Rage in the Cage - C-
Uncensored '96 - D
WrestleMania XII - B-
In Your House 7: Good Friends, Better Enemies - C-
Slamboree '96 - C
In Your House 8: Beware of Dog - B-
The Great American Bash '96 - B
King of the Ring '96 - B-
Bash at the Beach '96 - B
In Your House 9: International Incident - C-
Hog Wild - C
Clash of the Champions XXXIII - C+
SummerSlam '96 - D+
Fall Brawl '96 - B
In Your House 10: Mind Games - C
In Your House 11: Buried Alive - C+
Halloween Havoc '96 - C+
Survivor Series '96 - B-
World War 3 '96 - B-
In Your House 12: It's Time - C
Starrcade '96 - B-

Royal Rumble '97 - D+
Clash of the Champions XXXIV - C
Souled Out '97 - F
In Your House 13: Final Four - C+
SuperBrawl VII - C-
Uncensored '97 - B-
WrestleMania 13 - C
Spring Stampede '97 - C+
Barely Legal '97 - C-
In Your House 14: Revenge of the Taker - C-
In Your House 15: A Cold Day in Hell - C
Slamboree '97 - B-
King of the Ring '97 - D+
The Great American Bash '97 - C
In Your House 16: Canadian Stampede - B-
Bash at the Beach '97 - B
SummerSlam '97 - B
Road Wild '97 - D+
Hardcore Heaven '97 - C
Clash of the Champions XXXV - B-
Ground Zero: In Your House - D+
Fall Brawl '96 - C-
One Night Only - C
Badd Blood: In Your House - D+
Halloween Havoc '97 - B-
Survivor Series '97 - C+
World War 3 '97 - C+
November to Remember '97 - C
D-Generation X: In Your House - C
Starrcade '97 - D+

Royal Rumble '98 - C-
Souled Out '98 - C
No Way Out '98 - D+
SuperBrawl VIII - D
Living Dangerously '98 - D

ECW is such dated trash. But man, how about Taz almost killing himself and Bam Bam with that suplex off of the entrance ramp onto a guard rail? Christ.

Zach

Sorry about posting the grades at the top of the page, MC Safety. Add me to your ignore list if you haven't already. xoxo

wak wak wak. We didn't have Strowman last year, but we do now. He's someone I'd put in that echelon. Rowan does NOT do it for me, though, he looks dopey at every turn. Harper is dope though, but lacks the amount of beef and striations.

I haven't seen much of Strowman but you're always talking him up so hopefully he's better than Kane and the Big Show.

Anth0ny

I haven't seen much of Strowman but you're always talking him up so hopefully he's better than Kane and the Big Show.

he's actually not. he's a big clumsy rolly polly bastard and looks like a goof. also has ZERO experience, unlike Kane and big show.

and he has a nipple ring.

What are the must-watch matches from Wrestle Kingdom 10? Today seems like a good day to give 'em a go.

Shibata/Ishii
Nakamura/AJ
Tanahashi/Okada

GOGOGOGOGO

Zach

he's actually not. he's a big clumsy rolly polly bastard and looks like a goof. also has ZERO experience, unlike Kane and big show.

and he has a nipple ring.

Shibata/Ishii
Nakamura/AJ
Tanahashi/Okada

GOGOGOGOGO

You've got some splainin' to do, NeoGAF Vince.

And thanks for the suggestions, my good man. Hopefully they're better than WrestleMania 2000.

Kaladin

Strowman is benefiting from being booked as the Wyatt enforcer. He doesn't have to do much other than look tough and come in when big spots are needed.

If he was brought to the main roster on his own he would fail horribly.

What are the must-watch matches from Wrestle Kingdom 10? Today seems like a good day to give 'em a go.

If you really had to boil it down:

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship match: Young Bucks vs. reDRagon vs. Sydal & Ricochet vs. Roppongi Vice is a very good spotfest that tells a decent story. If you're not burned on combinations of these teams, this is a good check of what they're doing.

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship match: Kushida vs. Kenny Omega has some great stuff with Ryusuke Taguchi (yes, I know), and Kenny Omega's strikes in this match are impressive.

NEVER Openweight Championship match: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Katsuyori Shibata is a brutal match of spiritual machismo.

IWGP Intercontinental Championship match: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. A.J. Styles is a technical masterpiece, even if the match didn't have the emotional impact that it needed to kick it to the truly elite level.

IWGP Heavyweight Championship match: Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi is the culmination of Okada's feud with Tanahashi. You get more out of the match if you've seen the other matches recently or if you remember them well, but it's a suitable ending to the story.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

He looks incredible, and his strength looks amazing. You don't need much in a big guy, fortunately, because his shortcomings are masked easily, but man, he's got IT.

Zach

Finishing up some random NWA World Championship Wrestling show from the '80s that I had started and I was like "wha-what?" because Rick Rude's Rude Awakening apparently used to be a DDT. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom