• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kakushigoto 0-11
A manga by Kumeta Kouji about manga artist trying to hide his job from his daughter. Hilarity ensues. Everyday he go to work in a suit only to change his suit to regular shirt and shortpant on his way to his studio. The reason why he's hiding his job is the genre he's working is ecchi/dirty joke manga that involve a dude swinging his testicle to hypnotize someone. Full of Kumeta surreal and absurd jokes.

Find out there are 2 manga i keep following just got translated recently, both use female as MC and i pretty like it.
So i think MangaGAF maybe can try both.

Arte

Arte was born into an aristocratic family in Florence during the 16th century Renaissance era. Being female, it was unheard of for one to become an artist. Driven by her love of art, Arte is willing to cast aside her aristocratic lifestyle to become an artist.
94eAhAQ.jpg

Groundless: Sekigan no Sogekihei

Civil war continues to wage on the island nation of Alistria. The Waldrons lead a small arms shop on this island when they receive a large order of rifles from the army. However, this turns out to be a ploy by the colonel who made the order. He uses his ties to the rebel army to have them ransack the shop.
Having her husband killed, her daughter taken away and her own left eye lost, Sophia decides to take the only remaining sniper rifle and sets out for revenge.
21zPTI5.jpg

Droplet

ugh it bothers me sooooooooooooooooooo much

I want to know how to efficiently make art like that via a program or something (PC) instead of randomly using photoshop or paint airbrush to colour that hue in :(

I need hints but I can't find a way to google search such a art form

thanks anyway

You'd still use a paint program or something like Photoshop. You can use different brushes to emulate different effects, or layer textures to simulate a physical...well, texture. I don't really know if it has a name, but of course the art classes I've taken have been very traditional and this is a popular style with digital artists. I would just search for flat color illustration.

Lain

Find out there are 2 manga i keep following just got translated recently, both use female as MC and i pretty like it.

Arte

I'm surprised the Italian text on the Arte cover is all correct. Even more, reading tale vibrante splendore, reminds me of Crozza imitating the previous Presidente della Repubblica.

Might have to check it out.

dock

Suicide Island/Jisatsutou is still ongoing but it's really good!

For something shorter I'd recommend Arigatou (4 volumes) and Believers (1-2 volumes iirc) by Naoki Yamamoto.
Blame!
Freesia
Getenrou
Haruka na Machi e
Heads
Homunculus
Music of Marie
Nijigahara Holograph

Try these first. They are mostly under 10 volumes and for seinen demographic.

If you prefer comical, lighthearted series, look at MangaGaf favourites Dungeon Meshi and Hinamatsuri.

On top of what Uso suggested, I'll add Solanin, Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon and T-REX na Kanojo, though the latter two are ongoing series.
Suicide Island/Jisatsutou is still ongoing but it's really good!

For something shorter I'd recommend Arigatou (4 volumes) and Believers (1-2 volumes iirc) by Naoki Yamamoto.

Thanks for the recommendations! I enjoyed Naoki Yamamoto's Dance Till Tomorrow, so I'm up for some more of his books.

Any recommendations of good iPad apps for reading manga?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Arte

That is some great art. Will give it a shot.

Kinoko Takenoko
A oneshot by Asano Inio about war between bamboo and mushroom faction. The anti war message is clear, in which Asano highlight the collateral damage that happen and how a boy lost his innocence/ideal after being forced to kill someone.

Silver Spoon 114

IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIVE!
Nice to see Komaba doing well and studying again.
Men bath yogurt still going strong.

dramatis

Silver Spoon 114

While reading this chapter all I could think about is how Arakawa's facial expression panels are too strong

Also, food

You'd still use a paint program or something like Photoshop. You can use different brushes to emulate different effects, or layer textures to simulate a physical...well, texture. I don't really know if it has a name, but of course the art classes I've taken have been very traditional and this is a popular style with digital artists. I would just search for flat color illustration.

I see thanks for the tip :)

really helped to narrow it down

----
Gintama

"Re-united and it feels so good"

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Zetsurin 1-10
Somewhere along the line, i ran out of WTF to give and decide to just roll with it. Good lord, shit was fucking craaaaazy

jbug617

Banned
Silver Spoon 114

How i missed reading this series. Interesting development of Komaba continuing his education by taking online lessons from Hachiken's brother. I honestly thought that Komaba would of wanted to buy into Hachiken's pizza company.

Nina-san no Mahou Seikatsu 1
Featuring the everyday lives of an aspiring sorceress and 'the strongest witch in the world'. Judging from this opening chapter it'll be a slow, tranquil series, which isn't really my preference when it comes to witches, but followed regardless.

Fire Brigade of Flames 11-15

This is thoroughly mediocre and disappointing coming off of Soul Eater which I generally liked, but to make up for it the author decided to throw in a sadistic girl who steps on people just so I would continue. This manga is being written as I read it.

Zweizer

Banned
Nina-san no Mahou Seikatsu ch1 byTakanashi Ringo

Iris is a magic student who gets the opportunity to become the so-called "World's Strongest Witch" Nina's apprentice. However, the latter turns out to be actually rather clumsy and irresponsible. How will their magic-filled daily life pan out?

A nice promising first chapter, and the art is pretty pleasant to the eyes.

Famassu

Don't really know where to follow this kind of discussion, so does anyone know has Kodansha Comics commented on how well Vinland Saga vol. 6 & 7's localizations have done, sales-wise? The future of the manga's localization is supposedly dependent on how well those two did after the first five volumes had disappointing sales. Just wondering have the succeeded in turning the ship around and can we expect more Vinland Saga or has it still been too much of a failure to continue localizing future chapters in the saga? :/

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shin kurosawa 46
Fukumoto is a national treasure for making that bikini atol joke. Bless him. It was so close for Kurosawa, but he blew it!

dock

Ahh... I didn't expect to like it, but I'm really enjoying Dungeon Meshi! I'm so glad for that recommendation. A really good blend of adventure and comedy, and it doesn't lean toooo heavily on dumb genre references.

(I wonder how I can discover other such comics. It's so hard to find stuff amongst the million volume series)

I'm using Manga Rock on iPad mini 2 (with ads removed). It's a very nice way to read.

Don't really know where to follow this kind of discussion, so does anyone know has Kodansha Comics commented on how well Vinland Saga vol. 6 & 7's localizations have done, sales-wise? The future of the manga's localization is supposedly dependent on how well those two did after the first five volumes had disappointing sales. Just wondering have the succeeded in turning the ship around and can we expect more Vinland Saga or has it still been too much of a failure to continue localizing future chapters in the saga? :/

Its too early
http://kodanshacomics.tumblr.com/post/137354097666/yes-how-is-vinland-saga-sales-my-good-sir

It’s still a bit too early to declare a verdict on Vinland 7 (it’s been less than a month, after all), but early signs are good.
I’ve seen people elsewhere expressing concern that sales are low, and I would remind them that, actually, Vinland Saga tends to do better online, in comic shops, and in foreign markets than at traditional book retail, which makes tracking sales for it rather tricky. You may not have access to all the numbers we do.

Zweizer

Banned
Ahh... I didn't expect to like it, but I'm really enjoying Dungeon Meshi! I'm so glad for that recommendation. A really good blend of adventure and comedy, and it doesn't lean toooo heavily on dumb genre references.

(I wonder how I can discover other such comics. It's so hard to find stuff amongst the million volume series)

I'm using Manga Rock on iPad mini 2 (with ads removed). It's a very nice way to read.

Glad that you're enjoying it. It's without a doubt one of the best series to come out these past years.

I'll suggest you give a look at the author's other works if you enjoy her style. Barring that, you can always check for similar series on Mangaupdates going by categories or tags. Or you can just ask around here. You're always welcome to~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom