• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2016

joedick

Incredible showings for a couple of those 3D classics. I want a new KI and Kirby 3D games. I want to see more Pushmo and NX handheld needs a 3DL2 or 3DW (depending on how the system is set up). I wonder what 21+ look like. I bet BOXBOY! is decently high.

3D Classics were all given away for free at some point though. I'm sure they did well though - I remember seeing Kirby on the top downloads list before it was ever given away by Club Nintendo. Wish we got more of them.

L~A

NA:

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS

Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright – Two kingdoms are on the brink of war. Whose side will you choose? Torn between two families, you’re an heir of Hoshido, raised by Nohrian royals. If you walk the path of Birthright, you’ll battle the corrupted king of Nohr beside a family of strangers. Command them expertly and forge deep relationships to master this next entry in the beloved turn-based strategy series. The Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright game will be available on Feb. 19.
Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest – Two kingdoms are on the brink of war. Whose side will you choose? Torn between two families, you’re an heir of Hoshido, raised by Nohrian royals. If you walk the path of Conquest, you must fight to change your misguided kingdom from within. Command warriors with expert precision and forge deep relationships to master this next entry in the beloved turn-based strategy series. The Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest game will be available on Feb. 19.
Fire Emblem Fates: Map Pack 1 – Map Pack 1 features 11 maps plus bonus content upon release. These maps shine new light on the cast of characters from Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright and Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest, as well as old favorites from the Fire Emblem Awakening game. Discover new background stories about these beloved warriors, while earning more experience points and exclusive weaponry. By purchasing Map Pack 1, players will receive the downloadable content as it releases. Maps will launch weekly through April 21. Players must own Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright or Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest to access all DLC, which is available for purchase in-game after completing Chapter 6. The first map, Map 1: Before Awakening, is now available for free to owners of either game.
Project X Zone 2 – In the sequel to the original world-crossing adventure, legendary characters from some of Japan’s most prolific video game publishers come together to create the biggest mashup strategy game ever! Team up with classic characters from dozens of the most popular franchises in video game history like Chrom and Lucina from Fire Emblem Awakening and Fiora from the Xenoblade Chronicles game. Click here to view a trailer for the game.

Virtual Console on Wii U

Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos – In this NES classic sequel, the Emperor of Darkness, Ashtar, is on the move following his servant’s failure. It’s up to Ryu Hayabusa to save the day again. Pick up items that will provide increased abilities, like splitting Ryu into three. Destroy enemies with the Invincible Fire Wheel and other powerful ninjutsu techniques.
Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom – Join master ninja Ryu Hayabusa, last member of the famous Dragon Clan, in the third and final chapter of the legendary Ninja Gaiden saga on NES. Help Ryu defeat the forces of evil once more and discover the real culprit behind – spoiler alert! – Irene’s tragic death!
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones – Join the Lee brothers as they head on a worldwide search for their friend Marion and the powerful Sacred Stones. Defeat your enemies using a collection of martial arts moves, including those of enemies that join your quest. Play solo or together with another player as you finally reach the evil mastermind behind Marion’s kidnapping.

Nintendo eShop sales:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS
Bombing Bastards, Talking Phrasebook – 7 Languages and more from Sanuk Games are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 25.
3D Game Collection, Island Flight Simulator and more games from Joindots are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 25.

Nintendo eShop on Wii U

Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble and Sonic Lost World from SEGA are on sale starting 9 a.m. PT on Feb. 22 until 8:59 a.m. PT on March 7.
Vector Assault is 20 percent off (reduced from $4.99 to $3.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 23.
Astral Breakers is 40 percent off (reduced from $4.99 to $2.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 25.
Wicked Monster Blast! HD+ is more than 35 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $4.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 29.

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS

Demon King Box and Wakedas from Circle Entertainment are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on March. 3.
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked is more than 65 percent off (reduced from $29.99 to $9.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 29.
Aqua Moto Racing 3D is 50 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $3.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 25.
AeternoBlade is more than 30 percent off (reduced from $14.99 to $9.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 29.
Etrian Mystery Dungeon and Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan and more from ATLUS are on sale starting 9 a.m. PT on Feb. 22 until 8:59 a.m. PT on March 7.

Theme Shop on Nintendo 3DS:

New themes this week include:

SEGA Dreamcast Theme
Pokémon: Champion Steven
Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright – Available on Feb. 19
Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest – Available on Feb. 19

Also new this week:

Musicverse: Electronic Keyboard (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
TAP TAP ARCADE (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)

Chorazin

Gonna pick up those FE Themes, Conquest when I get to that point in Birthright, and the map pack this week.

Devil Survivor OC is a great fucking deal, that's pretty tempting even with FE.

Another three title VC week in NA, nice. Maybe someone higher up had a chat with NOA?
Probably just a fluke but either way it's great.

tolkir

Week finished

7f5TM.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Wii U | Virtual Console and Wii Software

Wii U | Sales

• Vector Assault is 20 percent off (reduced from $4.99 to $3.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 23.
  • Bombing Bastards and more from Sanuk Games are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 25.
  • Island Flight Simulator and more games from Joindots are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 25.
  • Astral Breakers is 40 percent off (reduced from $4.99 to $2.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 25.
  • Wicked Monster Blast! HD+ is more than 35 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $4.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 29.
  • Sonic Lost World from SEGA is on sale starting 9 a.m. PT on Feb. 22 until 8:59 a.m. PT on March 7.

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• Fire Emblem Fates (Nintendo)
    Map 1: Before Awakening (Free)
    Map Pack 1 ($17.99)

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• 3D Game Collection and more games from Joindots are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 25.
  • Aqua Moto Racing 3D is 50 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $3.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 25.
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked is more than 65 percent off (reduced from $29.99 to $9.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 29.
  • AeternoBlade is more than 30 percent off (reduced from $14.99 to $9.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 29.
  • Demon King Box and Wakedas from Circle Entertainment are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on March. 3.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble is on sale starting 9 a.m. PT on Feb. 22 until 8:59 a.m. PT on March 7.
  • Etrian Mystery Dungeon and Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan and more from ATLUS are on sale starting 9 a.m. PT on Feb. 22 until 8:59 a.m. PT on March 7.

vYU92.png

• LEGO Marvel Avengers (WB Games | Demo)

Wii U | Sales

• Bombing Bastards (Sanuk Games) - €4.99/ £4.49 (Ends February 25, normally €6.99/£5.99)
  • Spot The Differences: Party! (Sanuk Games) - €2.99/£2.69 (Ends February 25, normally €5.00/£4.49)
  • Wicked Monsters Blast! HD PLUS (CORECELL) - €2.99/£2.69 (Ends March 3, normally €7.99/£7.19)

• Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight (NIS America)
    Ultimate Feathered Warrior (Free until 02/25, then €2.49 | £2.29) Upcoming 02/19
    Winter's Harbinger (Free until 02/25, then €2.49 | £2.29) Upcoming 02/19
    Wanted: Lucky Bud (€1.99 | £1.79) Upcoming 02/19

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Aqua Moto Racing 3D (Zordix AB) - €3.99/£3.59 (Ends February 25, normally €7.99/£7.19)
  • Talking Phrasebook – 7 Languages (Sanuk Games) - €2.99/£2.39 (Ends February 25, normally €4.99/£4.49)
  • AeternoBlade (CORECELL) - €7.99/£7.19 (Ends March 3, normally €14.99/£13.50)
  • Demon King Box (CIRCLE Ent.) - €2.99/£2.39 (Ends March 3, normally €3.99/£3.19)
  • WAKEDAS (CIRCLE Ent.) - €1.99/£1.69 (Ends March 3, normally €2.99/£2.49)

uxwGK.png

Wii U | Virtual Console and Wii Software

L~A

Has Europe always had theme updates on a Friday?
I seem to remember it being earlier, like Wednesday....?

With the exception of the couple of weeks after launch, it's always been on Friday. Well, there's also another exception: themes that come as bonus for purchasing specific games on the Nintendo eShop, when those are not released on Friday (such as PXZ2 for example). But as our lunar friend just said, it's (pretty much) always been on Friday.

Pokemaniac

So the NA eShop seems to have multiple listings of the Gen I Pokemon games for different languages. That's something I haven't seen before.

Boogiepop

I'm remembering correctly that Double Dragon III is supposed to be really freaking bad, yeah? Or am I thinking of something else? Also, while I'm thinking of it, is the FE: Fates DLC supposed to be good? I remember trying that initial chunk of stuff for Awakening and being really underwhelmed at the value proposition there...

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I'm remembering correctly that Double Dragon III is supposed to be really freaking bad, yeah? Or am I thinking of something else? Also, while I'm thinking of it, is the FE: Fates DLC supposed to be good? I remember trying that initial chunk of stuff for Awakening and being really underwhelmed at the value proposition there...

Not sure about the quality, but there's a list here which gives a basic description, distribution date, and rewards for the DLC maps.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yes, Double Dragon 3 was the one that was suppose to be really bad/hard & was made more famous thanks to the Angry Video Game Nerd.

Also, it's the one with the typo of "Bimmy & Jimmy".

RiggyRob

Part 6 of our Wind Waker HD Let's Play: https://youtu.be/n842nP6bdik

It's a neat little feature that they made the Pictobox have a selfie mode despite it being a totally unnecessary feature that they didn't have to bother with at all.

I also liked the fact there were actual consequences to breaking the pots in the auction house, really caught me off guard the first time around when I broke all the pots and didn't have enough to buy the sail!

jholmes

Everyone. I picked up Girls Like Robots and I feel compelled to share because I think the game got a bit of a bum rap on the Wii U.

screen568x568.jpeg

What is Girls Like Robots? This trailer that you can find on the eShop gives you a pretty good idea (although it spoils some of the surprises). It's a level-based puzzle game (think of the structure in Human Resource Machine) in which you have to slide the different tiles to different parts of the board, and make the tiles as happy as possible. Why do the tiles have to be happy? Some tiles are girls. Girls, of course, like robots. And robots like girls, but not too many girls. Nerds like robots and they like girls, but girls hate nerds. And girls and nerds like pie, but robots hate pie. And cows like to splash their milk all over everyone, but only when they get really pissed off. Look, this is a weird game. You're either going to see this as a plus or a minus. There's a sense of humour to this and if that sort of funky outlook appeals to you, try it out.

What this does right that a bunch of other puzzle games don't is while it's not super long, it changes up the format enough times to keep feeling fresh. Sometimes the pieces move. Sometimes they start piling up Tetris-style. And you can unlock some hidden modes that are a little more like your standard non-level-based puzzle game. Another thing it does well: This is a pretty good port! It's largely touch-based but it makes some use of buttons for menus. You can't use other controllers, but there is a multiplayer mode (I didn't try it) and you can take photos of yourself to use during the gameplay: Yes, you can be the nerd tile! Everything is responsive and while there's the occasional and very slight hiccup on performance (not during gameplay! during cinematics and stuff only!) it makes great use of the platform, with a proper bootup screen and a well written manual, among other stuff.

So why didn't this do well? I have a few guesses:

• No promotion from the developers. This is a port of a sorta old game so I sorta get it, but it seemed like nothing was done to get anyone excited about this. I think this is more a word-of-mouth-type game, but someone should've got the ball rolling.
  • It's $9. This is definitely the big problem, but it's on sale right now for $5! But yeah, definitely poor judgement on the pricing. There's a whole lot of puzzle games on the eShop and I think $9 puts this outside of the impulse-buy range, especially with:
  • No Miiverse screenshots. No Miiverse integration at all, really, which means no one posts there. There's so much zany stuff in this game -- think a puzzle game version of Stick it to the Man -- but no one will ever see it on Miiverse, so no one will talk about it. I get why they did this -- because of the integration of photos for pieces. However, the tradeoff made for a neat feature but probably doomed this game, which needed to find a way to get people talking.

So that's why I'm here! It's near the end of a sale (I guess it was a Valentine's Day sale, what with the girls liking robots and all, but I don't think it was advertised anywhere and it didn't start last Thursday) so if you want to give it a shot, pick it up this weekend. C'mon guys, don't spend your $5 on Bimmy and Jimmy. This thing's the real deal!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Part 6 of our Wind Waker HD Let's Play: https://youtu.be/n842nP6bdik

!

Honest question, not to point fingers or anything bad but,,, what does this have to do with the Nintendo Downloads thread exactly? I meant to ask last time you posted but thought that maybe it was a one-off thingie but you keep posting them, so am I missing something here? Again, it's an honest question (I'm not touching the "self promotion allowed/frowned upon on GAF" argument with a 100feet Scrooge McDuck's pogo stick, lol)

joedick

Honest question, not to point fingers or anything bad but,,, what does this have to do with the Nintendo Downloads thread exactly? I meant to ask last time you posted but thought that maybe it was a one-off thingie but you keep posting them, so am I missing something here? Again, it's an honest question (I'm not touching the "self promotion allowed/frowned upon on GAF" argument with a 100feet Scrooge McDuck's pogo stick, lol)

While mainly for eShop games, this thread does also serve as a general Nintendo thread. I don't want to speak for everyone, but I sense that people have been accepting of this since we got moved to Community. Also, in fairness to Riggy, in his first post on the subject he said he won't continue to do it if anybody was bothered by his posts.

Rizzi

So I've played like six hours of The Legend of Legacy now. It's not very good.
Not because of the bare bones story, that's fine. The combat is really just kind of boring.
And that's a damned shame.

daydream

Banned
So I've played like six hours of The Legend of Legacy now. It's not very good.
Not because of the bare bones story, that's fine. The combat is really just kind of boring.
And that's a damned shame.

the demo really laid all the cards on the table in this regard. good on them for putting one out but i suspect it hasn't exactly worked out in their favour

RiggyRob

I'm playing the Wind Waker HD download code I got as part of my Wii U bundle? 😅

Normally I'd be posting it in either the Wind Waker HD OT or the Zelda Community thread, like I've been doing with the Xenoblade X and Dark Souls videos, but they both haven't been touched since I posted in them.

I have been trying to avoid spamming the videos every two days and adding actual content to my posts other than 'watch my video pls', but the Nintendo Downloads thread is the only one active enough to avoid double-posting them.

Again, if people don't like it I can just keep it to the OT/community thread, we don't want another Team Top Hat situation.

TheMoon

I'm playing the Wind Waker HD download code I got as part of my Wii U bundle? 😅

Normally I'd be posting it in either the Wind Waker HD OT or the Zelda Community thread, but they both haven't been touched since I posted in them.

I have been trying to avoid spamming the videos every two days and adding actual content to my posts other than 'watch my video pls', but the Nintendo Downloads thread is the only one active enough to avoid double-posting them.

Again, if people don't like it I can just keep it to the OT/community thread, we don't want another Team Top Hat situation.

maybe do one post per week which rounds up all videos of that week in one post? :)

RiggyRob

maybe do one post per week which rounds up all videos of that week in one post? :)

Sure, I can do that - it's sort of what I've been doing in the Zelda community thread where I've been going back and editing the post with all of the video URLs.

JoeM86

There are 15 versions of the Pokémon VC games on the EU eShop. One of each of the three games in each of the five languages

TheMoon

wow, i didn't expect them to follow up on their 'looking into it'. awesome!

ludosity, whaddup

Ludosity is being lazy. Proper, real dev laziness for once . Because we know how simple it is, for a fact. Especially when they already have the game out in other country's eShops of the same region.

is the dreamcast theme worth it? thinking of getting it if it has the big swirl logo

It's not as pronounced as you would imagine. Small swirl up top and a swirl every time you create a new folder. The music is great (PSO lobby music) and the sound FX are spot on. Has the Dreamcast's signature beep, fan start up and disc drive spin sound whenever you open and close the 3DS.

Really wish Nintendo would release some console themes for 3DS. I'd like to have the Dreamcast and a Gamecube theme on rotation.

Tizoc

The GBA Donkey Kong Country games don't anything different from their original SNES countrparts right?

The GBA Donkey Kong Country games don't anything different from their original SNES countrparts right?
Generally more minigames, worse sound, saturation issues (thanks compensating for GBA screen).

DKC3 has a different soundtrack (composed this time by David Wise, I think it was something like he stepped in after hearing how bad DKC2 GBA was) and another world, Pacifica.

Tizoc

Generally more minigames, worse sound, saturation issues (thanks compensating for GBA screen).

DKC3 has a different soundtrack (composed this time by David Wise, I think it was something like he stepped in after hearing how bad DKC2 GBA was) and another world, Pacifica.

Thanks, so based off this DKC3 GBA is the one worth getting among them at least for the extra world right?

Top Bottom