• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 25th Anniversary - Retrospective

Mr Swine

Banned
You forgot the very best Sonic game of all time:

Sonic_Battle_Coverart.png

Just kidding. Not the best, but I actually really enjoyed it for what it was.

At least it has spawned this little gem!

https://youtu.be/aZD6MGrDXfs

RK128

OP put in great work here, glad to see it all come together!
also: don't feed the trolls, guys. let's focus on how great some of the series has been!

yeah, noticed this as well

I fixed that the moment someone told me that. I had no idea that happened X(. Sorry everyone.

Boogiepop

I never saw this on Gaf before (and I was a lurker back in 2013!). Just quickly looking through your posts, you did a great job covering each game :).

Thank you for the feedback :D! Do you want me to include your retrospective in the OP? That way people can see your hard work and get a different perspective on the games :).

I got a lot more to cover (and I am lumping various Sega games into the mix now to pad-out the Dreamcast Era), but I look forward to it! Been a blast covering these games so far :).

I totally wouldn't mind as I'm greedy and would love more people to see them, but definitely don't feel any obligation to do so!

Also, not to step on any toes, but you've actually kind of motivated me to go back and tackle a few thing's I've accumulated since then (Sonic 2 I could do a replay of via the 3D Classic, Lost World 3DS, and maybe I'll finally grab Boom 3DS...)

RK128

I totally wouldn't mind as I'm greedy and would love more people to see them, but definitely don't feel any obligation to do so!

Also, not to step on any toes, but you've actually kind of motivated me to go back and tackle a few thing's I've accumulated since then (Sonic 2 I could do a replay of via the 3D Classic, Lost World 3DS, and maybe I'll finally grab Boom 3DS...)

Go at it if you want :). And you are not stepping on anyone's toes making your own Sonic threads XD! If you need any help, let me know :D.

Going to cover everything in the OP, so will space some stuff out if you decide to make your own Sonic threads :).

RK128

Hello everyone :D!

I had a lot of fun making the Sonic Adventure thread and it was great seeing so many come to see it! Was the highest view and post count out all my Sonic Retrospective Threads, so its nice seeing so many on NeoGaf having a strong attachment to Adventure :).

Next up on the Retrospective is going to be NIGHTS into Dreams, an IP Sonic Team were dreaming about after Sonic 3&K and Ristar were in production. Looking forward to covering this, as it has been a few years since I played Nights on my PS3 :D!

The reason I am covering non-Sonic games in my threads is to talk about all the work Sonic Team has done outside of Sonic. They made a lot of new IP during the Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast Era's, so its only fair to cover them :).

tumblr_n4e0yqBdwM1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

I am also touching on Sonic All Stars Racing too, so might give some of the stars in that game some screen time XD!

The Nights into Dreams, Sonic Pocket Adventure and Sonic Shuffle Threads should be up for the coming week :D.

RK128

One more thing, I am almost done with Sonic Boom 3DS and once I finish it, will be posting a 'Lets Look' post here within the next day or so.

The game is 20$ on the E-Shop, so want to get some general thoughts out before the sale ends.

Hope you all look forward to it :).

RK128

This is going to be part of the main Sonic Boom thread when I get to it but for now (as I have a LONG way to go until I get to Boom 3DS/Wii U) will cover my thoughts on the 3DS version in great detail. Some elements will be glossed over but I want to talk about this now with fresh thoughts moments after beating the game as of this post.

- - - - - - - - - -

Sonic Boom 3DS - Shattered Crystal

This game was paired up with the Wii U release when it came out and many hated the Wii U version. Cannot fairly comment on that version, as I do not own a Wii U, but I do own a 2DS and picked up the 3DS Boom game. Is it a Boom, or a Bomb? Lets find out :).

Gameplay:
Its set up like a normal 2D Sonic game but after fully playing through it, the game is a odd hybrid between the Advance Series and the Rush series. I say this as while you have an option to 'Boost' (pressing Y), you don't damage foes until a late-game upgrade. And even talking about the Advance series is not really fair as you don't run unless you press the Y Button; you walk at a nice jog.

This is not a problem, as the game's level design so focused on exploration. You have more traditional platforming ala Sonic Color's 2D Sections, so with the slower controls, it allows for more control over your character when jumping about.

You have four playable characters; Sonic, Tals, Buffles....I mean Knuckles, and Sticks. Sonic has a spindash and air-dash, with the spindash being able to attack foes (like it should XD). Tails can throw bombs, hover in the air & use his Sea Fox (a nice nod to the Game Gear games). Knuckles has a dash-punch and can dig into the ground (mirroring how the Drill Wisp works; you press the Y button when drilling to go faster). Sticks has access to her boomerang and you can either just toss it around or have more control over her throw (hold the X button and let it fly with the Circle Pad).

Note how I don't mention the iconic homing attack? Everyone has it and can stop when pressing X + Down. It makes every character equal control wise and it makes switching characters (D Pad Presses) really natural. However, it goes into my biggest issue with the controls; the lack of a spinjump. Sonic and friends don't curl up when jumping like in most games in the series, so you either use the X button moves or homing attacks to defeat robots. The problem, is that the homing attack does not always work and its tied to your double jump; you might end up hitting yourself instead of hitting your foe.

I hated this but thanks to Sonic's Air Dash, Sticks Boomerang, and Knuckles Dash Punch, its not that bad. Just a really strange design oversight on Sanzaru's part.

Level Design:
This is interesting, as I both really like it but have issue with it. What I mean, is that the speed sections are just nice little cut-scenes you earn from the platforming, but you have great sections that have you timing your homing attacks, enerbeam swings and jumps to have some really fun speed-based platforming.

I also love the fact each character is Sonic-like but has a unique feature. Its something I loved in the Classic Series and the Advance games, so its awesome Sanzaru does that here.

Sonic and friends have level gimmicks that we see in many other Sonic's; grind rails, lop-de-lops, springs that bounce you everywhere and some new gimmicks tied to character abilities.

You will be swapping between characters rapidly in latter levels, leading to some really fun platforming that uses everyones abilities.

......But note how I said I have issues with the level design. The game is exploration focused and I like that, as its a nice nod to the Game Gear games (that push for exploring for getting rings to access special stages or in Tails Adventure trying to find all the items in each map). But trying to find everything is a bit annoying at first.

You only have Sonic at the start and it isn't until the Scrapyard level (about.....four levels in) until you can play with all the characters. So you will be backtracking. This isn't a problem, right? Well.......it depend on the gamer you are.

If you like the gameplay and like exploring the entire level map (like me)? Great! But do you just want to run to the goal and call it a day? Ugh......this game doesn't work that way. You have Emblem systems in place and you have to collect X amount to unlock specific levels. So, if you don't explore and get all the Crystal Shards/Blueprints....you are locked out of stages.

Many hated this in early reviews and its an issue Sanzaru is fixing with Fire & Ice (launching this year), so it IS a problem. And some levels are maze like and its hard to get to the goal at points (Robot Facility is a good example of this; got lost for a good five minutes X().

But the core Adventure stages are enjoyable enough for me that I 100% the game :). So, either I'm crazy or the game is fun XD.

Other Styles of Gameplay:
The game also has two other gameplay types; Worm Tunnels and Rival Races. The former is Sonic Dash-like stages where you collect rings and move across different lanes. Its high speed, fun and rewarding to get great times here.

The latter is Sonic Rivals done right, as rather then races, they are just timed levels where you have to get to the goal as fast as you can. Its really rewarding to get great runs and the enerbeam, Air Dash and homing attack work so well with each other here.

These are so fun, that Sanzaru is making an entire MP mode out of them with Fire & Ice, so they must of struck a cord with people :D.

The last element to gameplay are the Blueprints, as when you collect a set of six, you can unlock new abilities that are shared (mirroring the bottle vault items in Sly 4). You can expand your map to pick up where items are, increase you resistance to damage (lose less rings when hit), or even gain a Sonic Boost when you collect all the Blueprints. Nice reward for exploring I feel :).

Presentation:
Visually it looks nice. The models are quite detailed and the levels have nice designs to them. My favorite levels are the Air Fortress and Scrapyard locations; the former being a Sky Sanctuary-like location while the latter has moody rain effects in the background.

The musical score is Sonic-like, with Richard returning from All Stars Racing Transformed and Sonic 3D Blast Saturn making new tracks for this game. They are all strong and range from 3D Blast Saturn like atmospheric tracks (Seaside Jungle 2, Scrapyard 2, Air Fortress 2) too more Modern Sonic like music (Worm Tunnel, Robot Facility 1, Robot Facility 2, Seaside Beach 1).

This soundtrack isn't the best in the series, but it is strong and a step-up from the Wii U Boom game in spades. Though the shared-title theme is still quite nice :).

Story:
You like the Boom Cartoon? Or something like Sonic Colors? Take that but make it more simplified. Its light hearted, cheesy and a bit stupid. Ah, the good ol' silly Sonic we all know and love :).

To be serious, the writing isn't very strong at all and its passiable but it has charm. The Archie Comics made an opening to the game (accessable with Sonic's Home) and its well written.

Knuckles is funny here and its nice seeing everyone play off each other so well. Nice precursor to the Boom cartoon to be honest. Unlike the Wii U game which doesn't really match the show at all, the 3DS game mirrors the show very closely in tone and style (Sanzaru worked with the Show Writers more closely then Big Red Button did).

Overall:
I came in thinking I was going to play a horrid piece of crap, walked away surprised. I got a fun platformer that while far from perfect, is a nice first step for Sanzaru Games making Sonic titles.

It felt like Sonic, it sounds like Sonic, it looks like Sonic; that was important to nail and Sanzaru did that in spades. Is the level design perfect? No, but that will be worked on with the 3DS sequel Fire & Ice in the future.

I am hopeful that future Boom 3DS games are more inviting to speed-happy gamers who only want to run through the game and that level caps are far less restrictive. Shattered Crystal is a fun game that while flawed, I had a lot of fun with.

For NA 3DS owners, it currently on sale for 20 bucks and I highly recommend you give it a shot. There is a 3DS demo for the three gameplay types (Adventure, Worm Tunnel, Rival Race) and if you like that, you should like the game.

Hope this post helps and you give the game a shot :D!

Thanks for the impressions of Sonic Boom: 3ds. I was thinking of getting it because of the sale. The demo is OK. I went back and played it again because I didn't know there was more than one stage to play.

Are there any boss fights in it?

MrBadger

You forgot the very best Sonic game of all time:

Sonic_Battle_Coverart.png

Just kidding. Not the best, but I actually really enjoyed it for what it was.

It's funny how the only Sonic characters with interesting character development are robots

Thanks for the impressions of Sonic Boom: 3ds. I was thinking of getting it because of the sale. The demo is OK. I went back and played it again because I didn't know there was more than one stage to play.

Are there any boss fights in it?

Exactly one, I believe. Unless you count races as boss fights.

RK128

I liked the demo of Sonic Lost World on 3ds, but neither it nor Sonic Boom got very good reviews, I don't think.

Going to get Lost World and Generations 3DS soon too, so I will make two 'Quick Looks' on each game.

They are known to be weak games, but Boom 3DS was and I really enjoyed it. Open to surprises :D.

Going to get Lost World and Generations 3DS soon too, so I will make two 'Quick Looks' on each game.

They are known to be weak games, but Boom 3DS was and I really enjoyed it. Open to surprises :D.

I was just playing Generations 3DS. It's actually pretty fun, and at least compared with the demo of Sonic Boom, it has the better graphics.

All the Sonic games I have to play are handheld ones: Sonic Rush DS, Sonic Generations 3DS, Sonic 1 on 3DS, and Sonic Advance 2.

MrBadger

I liked the demo of Sonic Lost World on 3ds, but neither it nor Sonic Boom got very good reviews, I don't think.

Lost World 3DS is terrible, to be honest. The first few levels (the ones in the demo) are good, but beyond that, it's awful puzzle levels, mediocre side scrollers and pointless mandatory tilt controls. I wouldn't recommend it based on your experience with the demo because it doesn't really represent the full game. Playing a straight-up 3D level that isn't broken up by wisps, gimmicks or bad level design is rare.

Generations 3DS is good, though. It's short and clearly low budget, but it's a decent game.

Mr Swine

Banned
I do hope with the NX portable being powerful enough we will start to get console Sonic games on it. Even if the graphics and amount of enemies are reduced a bit

RK128

I love your posts man, keep up the good work.

Will you be doing anything like this for anything else?

Yep :). When Ratchet's PS4 game releases, want to start a Retrospective on that series :D.

And I have other IP in mind for the remainder of the year and for 2017; Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Jak & Daxter, Mega Man (this......will take a while XD!) and Mario (the 2D games and most of the 3D ones) will be coming up :).

Edit: I am covering a lot of SEGA and Sonic Team Projects in this Retrospective too :D. So, Sonic isn't only getting my attention post Classic Era XD! Hope you look forward to it :).

RK128

Lost World 3DS is terrible, to be honest. The first few levels (the ones in the demo) are good, but beyond that, it's awful puzzle levels, mediocre side scrollers and pointless mandatory tilt controls. I wouldn't recommend it based on your experience with the demo because it doesn't really represent the full game. Playing a straight-up 3D level that isn't broken up by wisps, gimmicks or bad level design is rare.

Generations 3DS is good, though. It's short and clearly low budget, but it's a decent game.

Very interested in playing Lost World 3DS, as even though you say it has a lot of problems......people said similar things about Boom 3DS and I still enjoyed that.

Maybe I will be crazy enough to have a lot of fun with Lost World 3DS XD.

But I am getting Generations 3DS within the next day; comments on that game will be posted when I beat the title.

I do hope with the NX portable being powerful enough we will start to get console Sonic games on it. Even if the graphics and amount of enemies are reduced a bit

I would be very surprised if Nintendo didn't get an exclusive Sonic game early 2017 ala Sonic & The Secret Rings or at the very least get an expanded port of the anniversary game. Handheld Sonic works best when its just normal 2D platforming, as seen with the Game Gear, Advance Series and Rush Series. Efforts to make it 3D kinda backfire, with comments on Lost World 3DS being weak being a good example of this.

RK128

Hello :D!

I just wanted to say thank you for sticking with this thread and my Retrospective series. I have had a ton of fun commentating about a series I really love, with this pushing me into trying out old and new games I never played before!

I would have never given the Game Gear games enough attention, actually play Knuckles Chaotix or let the negative attention around Boom 3DS push me away from playing it if I never started this Retrospective.

While I did not fully enjoy every game I played (talking about 06 and playing through Sonic Blast.....ugh X(), it was great experiencing the series as a whole.

Still have a lot to cover and it will be a lot of fun giving Sonic Team Projects and a few specific Sega IP like Jet Set Radio and Super Monkey Ball attention throughout the Dreamcast and Modern Eras :).

This Retrospective has inspired me to make more of these when Sonic is fully covered, so before a Lombax and Silver Robot hit the big screen, we are going be going commando and upping our arsenal with the original Ratchet and Clank alongside the PS2 and PS3 trilogies :). Not going to cover the PS4 game right away as.......don't own a PS4 yet :l. But will get to it when I get one XD!

So, lets keep on running and head for the goal ring everyone! Having a ton of fun making this series of threads and we got a lot left to cover!

Got a few more zones to clear and the end is closer then it was a few weeks ago :D!

15%2B-%2B26

RK128

Edit: Not making any more threads for non-Sonic games unless they have Sonic Team developing them. But, will be covering some SEGA games after this retrospective is done though :).

RK128

Hello :).

Just a quick update that I got Lost World 3DS and.....will post clearer thoughts when I beat the game, but I am enjoying this so far. Just like Sonic Boom 3DS, this game surprises me with how much fun it is :).

Granted, I am only in Desert Ruins so far (about to play Act 3 as I am typing this) and I heard the game gets much worse after this world. But hoping to be surprised :).

Will post more thoughts on the game latter tonight when I get further in the game.

Hello :).

Just a quick update that I got Lost World 3DS and.....will post clearer thoughts when I beat the game, but I am enjoying this so far. Just like Sonic Boom 3DS, this game surprises me with how much fun it is :).

Granted, I am only in Desert Ruins so far (about to play Act 3 as I am typing this) and I heard the game gets much worse after this world. But hoping to be surprised :).

Will post more thoughts on the game latter tonight when I get further in the game.

Yeah, I'm just gonna leave this here. :p

................ :(.

I'm not going to have a good time, am I?

That post refers to the worst part of the game.

But that part's really fucking bad.

(The sad part is, the mechanics on the 3DS version for parkour feel much more sane and responsive than the Wii U version.)

RK128

That post refers to the worst part of the game.

But that part's really fucking bad.

(The sad part is, the mechanics on the 3DS version for parkour feel much more sane and responsive than the Wii U version.)

And the fact the level design thus far really leverages from its mechanics, that was a good move on Dimps/Sonic Teams part.

Ristifer

I honestly can't find Generations 3DS up here in Canada. I have the 360 version already, but I wanted to have both. I have Lost World, so I guess that'll have to do for now.

Blueingreen

Modern Sonic's levels are built using miles and miles of assets/land, so that is the reason why there is 2D sections in those levels; easier for Sonic Team to construct levels when they can focus 30% of it on a platforming 2D Section then the other 70% is he hard work on the 3D sections.

This is really insightful,do you know anything regarding the development of the older Genesis games,because it sounds like hell trying to get those games to run as well as they did?

RK128

This is really insightful,do you know anything regarding the development of the older Genesis games,because it sounds like hell trying to get those games to run as well as they did?

Mmm.......sadly not really :(.

But I can theorize :D! The Genesis has a fast processor, so when designing the levels, they were able to run the physics programming from the games coding alongside running the level assets in the background.

In easier terms, due to the Genesis being such a natural fit for Sonic, they were able to push it to its limit.

The Game Gear and Master System games didn't use physics but the levels themselves have 'points' that trigger events (running through loops for example).

RK128

soniclostworld_3ds.jpg

Wow, I have never played a Sonic game I feel so divided on :(. On one hand, the game has some major issues, but on the other hand, it does a lot right.

Will cover the good:

-Level Design: Some of the levels have really solid level design, with a lot of extra paths to take and in come cases, being an open playground for your parkor abilities.
-Wisps: They are used well in the game, with level set-pieces utilizing them. I put this in good.......due to some of the moments being enjoyable. The electric Wisp is a lot of fun to play with and the Drill Wisp (in 2D) controls great.

-Presentation: Music, Graphics, and Animations all are really strong. I enjoyed the music a lot and the visuals are some of the 3DS's best (not the best, as a lot of games are stronger visually but still, nice effort for the first 3D platformer in the series on a handheld.

-Story: The tone shifts all over the place and the Deadly Six are really one-note, but its still a nice tale. It can be funny and some of the harsher moments touch on parts I liked in Sonic Adventure 2 (when it got 'dark' at points; it failed often, but still, nice effort).

Now......the bad :(.

-Gameplay: I like how Sonic controls.....but what they do with him here is really disappointing :(. The Wisps feel really floaty to use (*Cough* Asteroid and 3D Drill *Cough*) and the jumping when running or not has really far momentum (making jumps a bit tricky). The gimmicks with the Wisps in the 3DS version is too frequent and distracting at points. Then we get to the combat encounters which remind me of Heroes.....but without the Team Blast and the Power Character's Air Attacks; annoying, long and if you don't have the right power up/wisp, it can take a while. Will commend the 3DS version with the fact they tell you how things work and the motion controls are really smooth; they work very well on the 2DS for me :).

-Level Design: This really upsets me, as they get so close really often. It has a lot of fun levels, but when a level is really bad, you feel it X(. Frozen Factory Act 3 is one you guys warned me about and....man were you all right. I had a decent time with it, but I spent far too long in what should be a short level. In fact, the levels take far too long. I keep getting C and D ranks and spend over 10 minutes in each level; that is a problem when past handheld Sonic's I spend maybe.........5 or so minutes in each stage.

And something I want to talk about; Boom 3DS vs. Lost World 3DS. It really baffles me, the Sonic Team/Dimps game is weaker then the game many consider "one of the worst Sonic's for handhelds".........Boom 3DS is a lot better then Lost World 3DS despite me enjoying it.

Sure, Boom 3DS has issues like long levels and forced level progression (alongside the lack of a Spin Jump, which thankfully Lost World 3DS has), but I enjoyed that more and the issues I had with Boom didn't distract like how Lost World's issues do.

I'm not blind when a game is bad but I still have fun with it (06 and Shadow come to mind) and while I don't place Lost World 3DS on the level of Sonic Blast, Sonic 06 or Chronicles.......it is not a great game at all.

If you can over look some of the level design issues and the heavy focus on the Wisp Gimmicks, consider giving it a shot. One last thing; I didn't not expect to love the Special Stages XD!

For something that I should hate, I love how they feel. Sonic flying around using the Gyro feels great and the design for these stages works quite well. Sure, I'm standing in the middle of my room moving around like some idiot but I'm having a blast. They nailed the special stages here and I look forward to completing special stage seven soon :).

I still have two more zones to get through, so I hope my view point changes on Lost World 3DS. When it does something right, it is a great game. When it does something wrong, you scratch your head with how the developers behind Pocket Adventure, Rush and the Advance Trilogy botch up a Sonic game so badly.

Still, have a bit left to go and will comment on the game again when I fully beat it.

......Sorry to be so bitter about things but this game has some real issues and it annoys me a bit that the game is weak at parts :(.

Haven't played the 3DS version, but funnily enough it sounds like some of the main issues with the Wii U version.

Fine enough foundation gameplay, but some strange choices in terms of level design and movement.

RK128

Haven't played the 3DS version, but funnily enough it sounds like some of the main issues with the Wii U version.

Fine enough foundation gameplay, but some strange choices in terms of level design and movement.

The Wii U version has to be stronger, as the Wisps are now mapped to buttons/sticks. That was a major element in the 3DS version and you HAD to use them, it wasn't optional.

.....I have a lot more to get through with Lost World 3DS, so will post more comments on the game when I get to it, as I hate bashing something didn't fully play.

But the core gameplay is strong and with good level design, it can be a blast. But.....it has issues and they are distracting :(.

RK128

soniclostworld_3ds.jpg

I beat the game and my thoughts changed a bit from my original Quick Look. Yes, I beat the game within a single day XD! A short game that lasts 4-6 hours :).

Anyway, is it a good game or not? I implied that it wasn't a good game but its far from the worst the series has offered (06, Shadow. Chronicles, Sonic Blast). Now that I beat it......I am a bit more positive toward the game :).

My thoughts on the presentation, core gameplay and usage of Wisps still applies, so I won't repeat what posted already. But the final two zones, Sky Road and Lava Mountain, made my opinion of the game get a complete 180. Rather then thinking its a weak game that has some good spots, its a decent game that has a few really sour spots.

What I mean is, every zone post Desert Ruins has ONE annoying stage that is stuffed with Gimmicks/Wisp Powers and it makes what should be a fun level needlessly frustrating. But that is one out of three acts for every zone. Most zones are set up like this:
-Act 1: 3D Platforming stages with mostly focusing on 3D platforming
-Act 2: 2D Stage heavily using the Parkor mechanics in full force alongside playing with a Wisp power or two
-Act 3: Gimmick Stage that uses one element or a number of elements at once

This is not always the case (Sky Road Act 3 comes to mind) but point still stands. The Gimmick Stages is really give or take; if you can deal with a heavy focus on the Wisp mechanics......they aren't that bad. Even then, they tend to mix in platforming and parkor elements (Silent Forest Act 2 is a great example of this, blending rail grinding, 3D platforming and the Lighting Wisp).

Not saying this is a great thing (it can be a problem honestly) but still, not all the 'gimmick' acts are bad.

A few things to note about Sky Road, Lava Mountain and post-game content before concluding my thoughts on the game.
-Sky Road is different from the Wii U version, with that version focusing on Windy Hill and Desert Ruin Assets. The 3DS version is a Casino Zone for two Acts with the third act being the final platforming level in the game. It is a lot of fun, with you flying on rockets and using the Parkor system to its fullest potential.
-Lava Mountain is a boss rush for the three acts (where you fight harder versions of the Zeti) while the final act is a boss against Eggman in a mech. He uses various attacks inspired by the Wisps you use in the game (Quake, Drill, Lighting, Lazer, Burst, Hover). In some ways, it validates the Wisps inclusion into Lost World (as Eggman was harvesting their power alongside draining Sonic's World). Either way, fun boss fight and a great conclusion to the game.
-Bosses are really fun and make great use of all the games mechanics (even though Parkor isn't really used in these fights).
-Super Sonic makes the game fairer when you unlock him; the cheap stuff thrown at you and the combat encounters are less of an issue due to the homing attack being a bit stronger and you being able to ram your head into foes (ala boost) to attack.
-The Special Stages are a lot of fun if you don't mind being silly with the motion controls. Otherwise, they can be annoying to some.
-Red Rings unlock stages for each zone, as if you collect all the red rings for a given zone you unlock an extra act.
-Hard Mode is unlocked and it changes the level layouts a bit. You need to beat the Hard Mode version of Windy Hill before moving on to Hard Mode for other Zones.

Overall thoughts is that.....the game is enjoyable and can be a lot of fun. There are more bright spots then I originally thought but my issues are still present; the focus on Wisps as gimmicks, locking you into combat sections and some strange level design at points hinder what could of been an amazing game.

The mechanics are present, they work better then the Wii version (reportedly) and Dimps has some stronger level design ideas (they make great use of the 2D perspective, the gimmicks in the Wii U version are used a bit better here like the Spot-Lights in Silent Forest Act 3).

Its a mixed bag and is one of the weaker handheld Sonic's but its impressive for it trying to be the first 3D Sonic game on a handheld. Hopeful that the anniversary game gets a great handheld game and learns some lessons from this title :).

I still feel Sonic Boom 3DS is more consistent quality wise compared to this game.....but the high points are stronger here then they are in Boom 3DS. Its an either-or situation; you get a consistently fun game that has an issue here or there vs. a game that has some really low points but has some damn good high points.

Either way, both of these games were surprises to me and I feel stupid for not playing them sooner. Boom 3DS and Lost World 3DS are not horrid games; they are fun platformers that while having issues, they don't wash away the strong elements of either game.

I got Lost World for 17.99 at GameStop used, so if you want to give it a shot, get it there :D. Boom 3DS is currently 20 bucks on the NA E-Shop, so if you haven't gotten it yet, get it while its on sale! Or you can get a retail version for the same price at your local GameStop.

Either way, two handheld Sonic's that might scratch that Sonic itch until the anniversary game is announced :).

If we're counting Platinum x SEGA games like Bayonetta, could we add F-Zero GX to the list? That was a Sega game through and through (praise be to Amusement Vison); and notable for being the first game they developed in partnership with Nintendo.

RK128

If we're counting Platinum x SEGA games like Bayonetta, could we add F-Zero GX to the list? That was a Sega game through and through (praise be to Amusement Vison); and notable for being the first game they developed in partnership with Nintendo.

I'm considering dropping a number of those SEGA games once I cover all the Sonic Team games, so I might not cover Platinum at all now.

People were confused with how Burning Rangers fit the retrospective. So once I cover all the Sonic Team games (Ristar, Phantasy Star Online, Pyuo Pop, Chu Chu Rocket), not going to cover other SEGA games.

Might make them as extra threads in the future once I cover the rest of the Sonic series though :).

RK128

Hello everyone :D.

Today as a special event for Sonic, as head people in charge of the series and two of the current voice actors talked to people about the history of the franchise. Then, they drop some information about a few announced games (Mario & Sonic 3DS out now, Wii U version coming in June/Boom Fire & Ice launching in September)......and they give the biggest tease.

The anniversary game will either be announced 7/22/16 during the 25th Anniversary Event OR more information on the title will be shown off here.

Either way, we are getting there regarding Sonic's anniversary game :D! Looking forward to seeing what the future holds for the Blue Blur :).

This also means this retrospective won't end with Sonic Generations leading the way to the anniversary game's announcement (most likely). So, while that bites a bit, its fine :).

Better to close the retrospective timely rather then stretch it out with filler stuff.

Taking a break for a day or so (today and Sunday) from making threads. Monday should have the Pinball Party and Sonic Advance 3 threads up and Thursday our Edge will be unleashed ;).

Thursday-Saturday will close the Dreamcast Era with the Sonic Team gem Ristar, the first DS Sonic title with Sonic Rush and jacking into the net with Sonic Team's online world of Phantasy Star (have no means of playing that, but it IS important to cover, so will still cover that game regardless ala my Burning Rangers and Sonic Shuffle threads).

So, look forward to all the upcoming retrospective threads and lets have a great anniversary for the Blue Blur :D!

RK128

Hello :D!

The Sonic Pinball Party Thread is up! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1198945

I had fun going back to this, as the music here is really impressive.

The next thread coming after this is a big one, covering the infamous Shadow the Edgehog in all its horrid glory. NeoGaf Member Village is helping me make this one and I hope you look forward to this :D!

Top Bottom