• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyl3n0L85

Neo Member
It looks so uncomfortable to hold. Wtf is this shit lol. Aspect ratio is weird and wow fingerprints everywhere.

It's basically a cellphone with two thumbsticks.

Such a weird design. Doesn't please me at all

How would that not be the case though? Motion controls? Because only to reach the analog sticks you would already cover the sides of the screen with our hands, and then there would be the touch buttons that would probably be placed in the middle next to the sticks, and there goes another part of the screen for you to see the game. I just dont understand how this is a good idea at all.

And even worse is people defending this with the "innovation/this is not 2005 anymore" argument. Come on... this is not a matter of being new or innovative, but actually functional and fun to use, and this thing doesnt look like it at all form these pics.

I also dont get people claiming that touch buttons would be good because you could relocate them on the screen... I mean, there is not even much more space for you to move them to, so whats the point?
The issue here is that we don't know how functional or fun it is to use with the given info. It could be a disaster, but I don't think we know enough to actually say this with any definitiveness. Hence why I'm saying to wait until we actually get any sort of hands on impressions before making any sort of judgement call

KarmaCow

So do you think the buttons will be virtually on-screen?

0b42662d47ce90b597f9535e8edb87ee.png

That's what the patent from a while back made it seem like, though in that, you use the circlepads to select a button rather than actually press it yourself.

Gurrry

I'm not convinced that the screen space is actually meant to be used for gameplay, and not just to look fancy and use buttons on. There's no indication that you'll be actually playing anything on the controller like with a wii U gamepad, and if it is indeed a console controller than obviously the majority of gameplay would be happening on the TV regardless

I would assume that this is backwards compatible though. So if thats the case, how do you play games like mario 3d world or mario maker without some sort of game visuals on the controller?

My guess is that you can still use the Wii U game pad with the NX. That seems like the best solution.

Also - keep in mind in the first picture, there is a game being shown on screen.

daveo42

Banned
So this is for the console and isn't the handheld? That's even worse with touchpad buttons unless you know or can feel where the right buttons are before pressing them. Or you could always look down at the controller to make sure you are hitting the touchpad button you think you are touching.

This whole thing is a mess.

Schnozberry

1. yes they are

2. ok then the screen is wasted. why even both with the design in that case?

3. I can only judge on what I see. hopefully the final product is improved but what I'm looking at looks like uncomfortable garbage.

1. I think you're missing the point of the haptics. They don't necessarily have to be touch buttons. They can take any form the developer desires. They could be switches or sliders or whatever else could make gameplay feel more organic. And with a proper feedback engine these things can all feel different and independent. If you're hopelessly tapping at virtual buttons that all vibrate the same lame way, then it would be more of an issue. I hope it's more thought out that that.

2. The screen isn't wasted, it's just not all utilized to display the game. I'm guessing there is a perfectly usable window between the sticks to display quite a bit. It doesn't necessarily have to be off screen play, though I'm sure that will be heavily used.

3. Then maybe since we've all only seen one angle of a development kit that may not represent the final product, we should avoid using words like "uncomfortable garbage".

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
NX is about to make Wii U tablet look like a good idea.

Amazing.

It looks like it may BE the console. See the HDMI cable there?

Hybrid console confirmed. Connecting to an HDTV.

On screen buttons tho.

omg....and I mean that in a bad way. A very, very bad way.

That thing better be able to dock into something with buttons. Or they need to look at some of the examples ppl posted in this thread.

On screen is great for mobile games. Traditional console gaming?

No.

Neoxon

This is my concept of the Nintendo NX and how it could be done to solve the lack of
a button input:

CeQDW1ZWQAATf8y.jpg

I think there are solutions to the problem being had right now.
Or, & hear me out on this, just let the GameCube Adapter be used on the NX Console for Smash use. While your solution is a neat one, just letting the GameCube Adapter function for Smash games played on the NX Console would be a quick & painless solution to the problem. Same for the Pokkén Pro Pad for Pokkén & Tekken.

Quoted for new page.

So do you think the buttons will be virtually on-screen or those Apple tactic ones linked in the video?

0b42662d47ce90b597f9535e8edb87ee.png

I mean, this is obviously the case, especially combined with the statements that this controller would use haptic feedback (which would exist to add a tactile response to digital buttons)

BearPawB

Banned
I am firmly in the "virtual buttons are total shit" camp.

But interested in whether the "haptic screen buttons" rumor is true. I am not really sure how that is possible on a screen? But that would be the only way to save it. If some how you could get a button "feel" despite being a flat screen.

Holy shit it's actually legit isn't it. This pic does make the controller look a hell of a lot better then the other one, and honestly I'm kind of dig it. Lack of buttons is a scary thought tho and god damn I hope it's not true.

-Horizon-

If this thing hasn't even been formally announced and you are already having to come up with ideas for cases and shells to make this thing appealing to the core gaming audience doesn't that completely defeat the purpose of this design and sort of cement the thought that it's a terrible idea?

Patents have already been shown with grips attached. Whether those actually materialize or not is a different matter.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I just can't wait to see the mental hoops Nintendo fans will have to jump through to justify a capacitive touch screen and on-screen buttons after spending the last ten years telling everyone that they were shit.

It was running the mobile demo. Which now I will gloat about for saying this will use mobile architecture. Will wait for how I am obviously wrong lol

Selling a mobile system with every console would be daft though, wouldn't it? after all their cost problems with Wii U.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
No buttons would kill it for me. I can do some games on phones with screen buttons, but I don't typically enjoy the experience.

Though, will wait for final (and confirmed) design.

Peltz

Conversely... think how many people this design had to go through. How many long time, industry vets this concept past through the hands of, how many skeptics had to be convinced for this concept to work.

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt at this point, and as I've said before, I'm also a little excited to see what comes of it :)

This isn't the final design, the controller hasn't even been formally introduced yet. Expect the ergonomics to change between now and release.

You bring up an interesting point about all of the internal vetting that has to happen.

Plus, Iwata had to sign off on this. He was responsible for so many amazing games that I trust he knows how important good, accurate controls are.

But man, there has to be some sort of catch. What don't we know about the way this works?

I would assume that this is backwards compatible though. So if thats the case, how do you play games like mario 3d world or mario maker without some sort of game visuals on the controller?

My guess is that you can still use the Wii U game pad with the NX. That seems like the best solution.

I am absolutely not assuming backwards compatability, and I think it's very likely it won't be backwards compatible at all, since there's a good chance they'll be going with a completely different OS architecture to the Wii U

It looks like every slick but totally not practical tech mockup that's surfaced online in the past. I know the NX is a particularly odd venture for Nintendo so at least this thing matches up.

I'm intrigued but scared as fuck coz naturally

jehuty

If this indeed the final design of the console controller, I kinda get what Nintendo is doing. The controller itself leaves a lot of questions marks with the lack of grips and buttons. But I'd wager there will be some sort of shell the control fits into that has grips and extra buttons. With that in mind, the control supporting shells would also make it possible that this controller can be used as a screen for a vr shell ( ala cardboard). What do you guys think?

MilkyJoe

How can this be real? Look at the size of that ear bud, now how the fuck did a grown up pair of hands hold it? Thumb on top and two fingers underneath? And how do you hit the mouse wheels? Or the no buttons go that matter. What is it 5 inches across? No way it can be real, even Nintendo can't be that fecking stupid!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
No buttons/new control schemes are something I can adapt to, but the circular screen makes this incredibly unappealing to me as a handheld.

All games developed to be displayed on rectangular aspect ratios will either have their corners cut off or need to be shrunk down to a small rectangle in the center of the device.

Either compromise would make me want to play the game on almost any other device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom