• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What bothers me about the legitimacy of this is... how dumb do you have to be to break NDA and include incriminating evidence in the frame? There are only so many Swedish studios with NX devkits.

interchange2.jpg

I imagine they'll utilise the patent for interchangeable buttons, perhaps even have them attach to the screen. Games could use 2 buttons, 4 buttons, 6 buttons, no buttons. Would be pretty interesting.
XVU77BT.png

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I can see this being real, sadly. Remember, Nintendo is going into the mobile market, that's been confirmed. And maybe by their logic, they think "the masses" love touch controls because Mobile is such a huge market. They already made this mistake with trying to capture the tablet market with the Wii U Gamepad, so it's the next logical desperate attempt to recapture the Wii-level of success.

But if that's true, they fail to realize that they're different markets -- people buy games on their phones because they always have their phones on them, not because touch controls are good or that's the way people prefer to control their interactive entertainment. The people who like mobile games on their phone aren't gonna drop $300-$400 on a weird looking thingy that plays the same games. On the same token, console players/enthusiasts aren't going to go for a lousy touchscreen interface on a funky-ass controller.

I honesty just don't think Nintendo has any fucking idea anymore, I really hope I'm wrong.

Vena

You're just having fun now aren't you?

Assuming it's real, I'll keep an open mind and wait for further details. But I don't have a very positive first impression.

He's basically saying Nintendo is pissed and taking serious action.

There is no haptic technology that can accurately simulate the true feel of pressing a button.

It works on something like a trackpad that's one giant surface, but just imagine if you needed to hit one specific area of the trackpad (or controller in the NX's case) without looking. There's no way you'd be able to input your actions like you can with physical buttons.

Just imagining pro Smash Bros players trying to play on this thing is cracking me up.

Feels so strange not being the least bit excited about Nintendo anymore. I bought the Wii U day 1, but I'm definitely taking a wait and see approach with this.
I mean, I still think it's theoretically possible to create haptic technology that could work properly. Whether it is actually anywhere near being something that exists is another matter, but if you could create local haptic responses (as in, the response is not uniform across the entire screen) I don't see why you wouldn't be able to create multiple individual buttons

Do people not really know the limitations of 3D printers? There isn't a 3D printer out there that could create something like this.

a 3D printer cannot create an oval shaped panel with two holes? slap on a shiny 2 cent foil and attach 2 nipples "control sticks"...finished.
3D printers print way more impressive stuff than that.

if they can leak a photo; why not leak a gif of that thing running?
maybe I would believe then

Nibel

It looks fancy but whatever happened to "form follows function"?!

I prefer ugly but ergonimic controllers with buttons n stuff...

The ergonomics part is kinda uninteresting right now since what we are seeing is a unfinished prototype and not the final controller

-Horizon-

Rösti;199021806 said:
On these series of fundamental issues that have already been set in motion, progress quickly is being made to prevent and combat further harmful scenarios. This struggling desire some house to have this information emerge I am not in favor of. Experiencing an executive deficit should not warrant illicit actions under a veil of ignorance. The remedy patience and determination, not drawing premature exposure. Goals should be shared.

So: with the recent leaks, Nintendo(?) is working to prevent anything else from being prematurely revealed. Rosti isn't a fan of these people leaking info. I guess the higher ups at these companies have been lax on enforcing the NDAs but the leakers shouldn't be doing this and then saying "oops, my bad, didn't know". Everyone should be patient for the actual reveal and have that do its job and not have random people just showing stuff off online early.

Could be entirely wrong with what Rosti said >.<

JoeM86

If this was the console that came after the Wii I would be inclined to agree with you, but yeah, lets just say that the Wii U wasn't a prime example on how to succeed in the current gaming market. For how long will Nintendo innovations keep paying off? IMO they needed a more "common" generation of consoles to bring back fans and dev support so that they could confidentially turn back to innovating. But thats just me.

The Wii U was that, though.

Zomba13

Please don't be real. Please don't be real. You'd think Nintendo of all companies would realise how important buttons are for tight controls.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
That this is infact not the handheld but the controller for a console makes this EVEN MORE insane.

Double down on gamepad, now in a weird oval form without buttons. Just fire the entire hardware department into the sun. How fucking clueless could they get?

Christ fuck. Going to be great seeing people walk back from "Mobile gaming is trash due to no buttons/capacative is shit" to "Nintendo bringing fun out of the box innovation!!!!" like clockwork.

I dont know man...so many are happy with the Miitomo game thats out now. But I agree. Playing emulators on my Android phone...if the game is not built from the ground up for mobile, or not adapted better for mobile. On screen buttons suck. Hard.

This is like the biggest "if you can't beat em, join em" moment I've seen. They could pull this off. But I guess it's weird how years of trashing mobile controls could get hardcore gamers...this. Lol.

Yea..just like the Gamepad for the Wii U. I did say that was them taking a risk but its also a join em moment too.

Its like they are doing cant beat em, join em for mobile folks tho and saying meh to console gaming folks.

No way in hell. Touchscreen gaming is fucking atrocious. I have always hated it. No fucking way in hell would I ever dream of co-signing that shit for a console. It's a horrible fucking joke, the entire lot.

Nintendo lost the fucking plot here; some seriously huge self inflicted ether coming their way on this one.

You want Nintendo do to what everyone else is doing?

Bit boring, mate.

Its a Catch-22 tho. Be different at the risk of being so different you get left behind (Wii U). They can be different and not go so far out in left field with it tho.

Why not do this controller/handheld like the Vita? Thats a nice mix of on screen and regular buttons. Vita games you can also choose to use the screen or not for some games. Uncharted Abyss is one. Sometimes I went back n forth between on screen controls and stick during some sections of the game..

I said before it would be wild if Nintendo took the Vita idea, concept and actually made it successful. But..IMO you need hard buttons for it to work.

Rudiano

Banned
Dude lol. Its not that crazy. The computer gives away the country. There are but so many game companies that are big enough in that country that would get a prototype. There is a picture online of the front of the building.

PS: Please do not become a criminal or detective

Lame last line, no need to be dick about it.

Not even current Nintendo could be delusional enough to continue the WiiU controller concept and make it even more idiotic. I can hardly think of anything dumber than sticks blocking significant portions right in the middle of the screen. And dropping physical buttons? Can't be happening.

KiraXD

According to some past posters, pretty damn close. We've had someone talk about the MacBook touch pad, and someone commented that the steam controller is the best controller they've ever owned, thanks to the haptic buttons.

if its anything like an iPhone 6s +... it doesnt feel anything like a button press... just a weird buzz, no click, no give and take... just a buzz when pressed and a smaller buzz when finger is lifted off the screen.

TrueBlue

Man, this is a disaster. I cannot believe the next Nintendo console's main controller isn't going to have face buttons. This is my nightmare scenario for sure. I can't even imagine playing Smash, Mario Kart, 2D Mario, Zelda, or Virtual Console games on something like that.

Nintendo....what are you freakin' doing?

This is the thing - I can't see Nintendo relying on a control scheme that would actively force them to almost completely change/neuter their core and selling experiences.

That's not to say they've been unsuccessful with the touch-screen, but they've always supplemented the face buttons. Same with the Wii motion control, and the various things on Wii U.

It just seems so...bizarre.

Moonlight

Banned
Was shocked when I first saw it. Still a bit shocked. I think maybe that's a better reaction than the 'huh' that the Gamepad got out of me. Really unconvinced on what this could entail, but if it works like the way I imagine the only way this could (if they want to position this as the primary input device) than I think it could impress people and make people take notice in a way that the Gamepad really could never do. Reserving judgment, but Nintendo really needs a hard sell on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom