• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Wallpapers, Fan Art & Hi-Rez Art Thread

Melchiah

Witcher fan art
(some of them NSFW)

Jakub Rozalski:

The authors of the above in order:
Max Bedulenko
Nicholas Avon
Omer Tunc
Tatyana Latypova (CG-sister)
Dhaniels Castillo
Piotr Foksowicz (x2)
Max Kostin
Timofey Stepanov
Dave Rapoza

Rlan

The Legend of Oasis / Story of Thor 2 (Saturn) - More at link!

tumblr_o1dmegBieZ1tu022ro1_250.jpg
tumblr_o1dmp5c49T1tu022ro1_250.png
tumblr_o1dmwy2wR41tu022ro2_250.png
tumblr_o1dmwy2wR41tu022ro1_250.png

tumblr_o1dmp5c49T1tu022ro2_250.png
tumblr_o1dn6ps4Yk1tu022ro2_250.png
tumblr_o1dmu90YXD1tu022ro1_250.png
tumblr_o1dmz2gJqC1tu022ro2_250.png

Melchiah

More Bloodborne fan art.

Vicar Amelia by Matt Barley

By Snatti89

Blood Party by LiewJJ, Blood Grave by Ehsan Safavie, and the third by James Cheong

By Harrison2142, KrumpZero, Vyacheslav Gluhov, and SpoonfishLee

Butterfly by Igor Krstic, The Cat Lady by Furyon1989, and the third by Kazzman (kczjimmy)

Munter

I don't have anything to add unfortunately, just wanted to say what an awesome thread this is, and thanks to those who have posted. Keep up the great work!

Melchiah

Found few more wonderful pieces of Bloodborne fan art, while I googled the authors.

By Gibbs Rainock / Crowsmack

EDIT:

Garden of Eyes by Ryan van Dongen, Keeper of the Old Lords by ThunderAlchemist18, and Labyrinth Madman by MenasLG

-BLITZ-

Counter-Strike: 1.6

Measurements:
- 2467 x 2850 [x2]
- 5549 x 7359
- 3000 x 4128

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Measurements:
- 6000 x 3600 [x2]
- 3000 x 1500
- 6000 x 1500

Counter-Strike: Source

Measurements:
- 2550 x 3600

-BLITZ-

It was taken from a public available links, etc of press release. Was converted from a .PNG, right ? So I don't see why it would cause a stir. I have the .PNG too.

Nice art.

IronMan

It was taken from a public available links, etc of press release. Was converted from a .PNG, right ? So I don't see why it would cause a stir. I have the .PNG too.

Nice art.

Yes, it was converted from a .PNG and I have no intention of sharing that version.

I think there is no problem, but I can remove the post if you want.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

Nice art.

Yes, it was converted from a .PNG and I have no intention of sharing that version.

ChEma5I.gif

Hehe, well, I might as well post uncompressed PNG saved from lossless source file then since this art is made available for the public. Just say the word guys.

I think there is no problem, but I can remove the post if you want.
Nah, that's okay, there's no need for this.

-BLITZ-

If you want to add extra mb to fellow downloaders for a minor difference between JPG format go ahead. No need to ask or me permissions of such press releases. That version is just a PNG which I have too now. I was planing to post it, but I did has some busy days. We do post PNG here, just that this format is preferable to use for character rendering for transparent reasons.

ChEma5I.gif

Just say the word guys.

I didn't had to. It was enough for me to check before considering if is necessary to replay to IronMan post. In the end I was right. :)

IronMan

If you want to add extra mb to fellow downloaders for a minor difference between JPG format go ahead.

I saved it in level 12 of quality, so there's absolutely no diference at all that any human can see. It's just a waste of space (more than double) for no reason.

And speaking of quality, I have a request.

Do you have this artwork uncompressed?

aWU4Ucc.jpg

They released it in 8180x5625px but, intentionally or by mistake, with quality set to 0. As we can expect, it has pixels the size of bathroom tiles hahaha (and only 875KB for an image of that resolution). However, that version was widely disseminated on the Internet and even used officially in the PS.Blog, so I don't really know if they ever released it in a lossless format.

If, by chance, you do have it, I'm not asking you to share it right away, I know how it works... but please share it some day. ;)

Thanks in advance.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
That version is just a PNG which I have too now. I was planing to post it, but I did has some busy days. We do post PNG here, just that this format is preferable to use for character rendering for transparent reasons.
I think that PNG file which you guys have is probably saved with compression in Photoshop. I'll upload multiple versions of this artwork as uncompressed PNG files later today (for fellow gaffers only).

As for artwork itself (which is quite massive btw in terms of file size), I do like it even more without mercenaries on the left, explosion, bullet traces, cages on the right and with slightly different Drake render. But the fact that there's only 72dpi version available is.... disappointing.

I didn't had to. It was enough for me to check before considering if is necessary to replay to IronMan post. In the end I was right. :)
Well, as for my replay... you know better than me that we don't post very fresh artworks too early for a reason, but the fact that Sony made it available to the public and in such resolution is frankly quite unexpected.

Do you have this artwork uncompressed?
96atuvV.gif

-BLITZ-

I saved it in level 12 of quality

but the fact that Sony made it available to the public and in such resolution is frankly quite unexpected.

I've seen that a lot lately. Sony is one of them, Ubisoft does that since Unity during E3 Events, Gamescom, etc with many other companies who follow during that time. Most releases of today are saved from PSD/PSB format in PNG in which the only option to save them is in max quality, to be given away for media reasons. It also helps getting rid of uploading unwanted space and time consuming of GB sizes of such formats (if PNG version can give the same quality with reduce usage, why not?) that took an increase step in the last few year being represented in GB now and less MB as we where used to be. If you have a PSB/PSD and save in PNG / JPG format and compare both images you will see that both have the same pixel coloring (with just a little bit of difference).

For 60MB JPG coming from a PNG format, I can tell it is saved at max quality.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
PNG version can give the same quality with reduce usage
I like to work with layers and flat images is useless to me and has no value whatsoever, that's why I don't collect them anymore.

If you have a PSB/PSD and save in PNG / JPG format and compare both images you will see that both have the same pixel coloring (with just a little bit of difference).
True, but the max quality of images matters to me a lot and PNG is better (especially if you save it without compression - old Photoshop versions can't save images as uncompressed PNGs btw, only the new ones can and it is a lot faster).

IronMan

I like to work with layers and flat images is useless to me and has no value whatsoever, that's why I don't collect them anymore.

That's really a matter of personal taste. Value is something very subjective, even more when we're talking about collecting. The PSB/PSD format represent the true and original form of the artworks, and if that's the way you want your collection, that's nothing wrong about it (you'll just need a bigger HDD).

Personally, as long as I have the artwork in full resolution and max quality, I'm satisfied. I don't even keep PSD files anymore because of the huge size (except one or another that I really love) and because I don't want to have a heart attack if my HDD dies someday. After exporting all the variations I want in JPEG and renders in PNG, I don't really need the layers anymore. This makes the backup process MUCH easier (even with my crappy internet I can have everything in Dropbox and always up to date).

True, but the max quality of images matters to me a lot and PNG is better (especially if you save it without compression - old Photoshop versions can't save images as uncompressed PNGs btw, only the new ones can and it is a lot faster).

I've been changing my way of seeing things, even more after I worked in a printing company and saw how things are really done. I also used to love the PNG format because of its "lossless properties", but now, when there's no transparencies, I prefer a JPEG in max quality instead. Technically there's a loss of quality in any JPEG, but no human can see it, so there's really no difference and I'm fine with it.

And besides that, the only reason for such high resolutions and 300dpi is to be able to print the artwork in its full glory (even if we never do it), right? But you can't print an image in PNG because it only allows colors in RGB... so what's the point? You'll have to convert it to JPEG anyway.

At the end of the day, what really matters is to keep the artworks always safe in more than one backup, even if, theoretically, it means an invisible loss of quality as sacrifice.

This is like the never-ending discussion about the difference between a CD and an mp3 in 320kbps. Is there a difference? yes. Can anyone hear it? not really.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Personally, as long as I have the artwork in full resolution and max quality, I'm satisfied. I don't even keep PSD files anymore because of the huge size (except one or another that I really love) and because I don't want to have a heart attack if my HDD dies someday. After exporting all the variations I want in JPEG and renders in PNG, I don't really need the layers anymore. This makes the backup process MUCH easier (even with my crappy internet I can have everything in Dropbox and always up to date).
Well, if I really like the artwork and if it is rare, then I will keep it of course in my collection even if it does not have any layers as long as it's TIF / PSD / PSB.

And besides that, the only reason for such high resolutions and 300dpi is to be able to print the artwork in its full glory (even if we never do it), right? But you can't print an image in PNG because it only allows colors in RGB... so what's the point? You'll have to convert it to JPEG anyway.
I really don't like CMYK, looks worse than RGB in my opinion.

This is like the never-ending discussion about the difference between a CD and an mp3 in 320kbps. Is there a difference? yes. Can anyone hear it? not really.
If you have a beast of a Hi-Fi sound system, the difference will be massive (especial if you're listening a super audio CD).

IronMan

I really don't like CMYK, looks worse than RGB in my opinion.

Of course it looks worse in a screen, it's supposed to. It's not a matter of opinion or taste, it's a fact. CMYK it's only for printing and RGB is only for screens. Its impossible to print in RGB, in the same way it is impossible to really see CMYK in a screen. When you open a CMYK image in Photoshop, you're only seeing an "RGB simulation" of what supposedly you will see after printing (darker colors in general). RGB has much more vibrant colors than CMYK because it's impossible to create such colors with ink.

But I'm not here to teach color theory. I was just saying that if you want to print an image, is has to be in CMYK, so it can't be in PNG format (for some reason this format was created specially for the web). But as we want the images mostly to see on screen, it's better to keep them in RGB in our collection.

But I just think this way: if I can't take advantage of any of the PNG "improvements", because they always have to be converted to a "CMYK JPEG" in order to be printed (loosing all those "improvements"), it's better to just keep a JPEG version from the start, saving a lot of space. So, if you start with an "RGB JPEG", you only need to change the color scheme and not the format itself.

But that's all technicalities, at the end of the day we should just use the format we feel most comfortable with. After all, we will never print the vast majority of the images we keep, they're just for collecting.

-BLITZ-

In memory of Lionhead Studios / Fable

Fable II

Measurements:
- 5172 x 5816 [x2]
- 9752 x 5556 [x2]
- 4200 x 1500

Fable III

Measurements:
- 6750 x 8550 [x2]
- 3804 x 4485
- 2136 x 2852
- 2612 x 2100

IronMan

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare:

12674 × 15656 | 11389 × 2980

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III:

12000 × 7376 | 6878 × 2432

-BLITZ-

Guild Wars 2

Measurements:
- 2500 x 3232
- 6000 x 7694
- 7200 x 4776
- 5760 x 3732
- 6960 x 4106
- 7347 x 4242
- 5550 x 2910
- 3750 x 1714
- 3500 x 3500
- 3500 x 3500
- 4310 x 2334

Vashzaron

Are images directly ripped from a game's data allowed to be posted here? If so I got a ton of stuff from PS3 Macross games.

-BLITZ-

What are they actually ? Extra in game-menu as concept, character arts ? Similar to Prince of Persia series or The Punisher game.

Top Bottom