• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Feb. 22 - 28, 2010

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dragon Quest IX (Ultimate Hits) came out today and I think it has a good chance to enter the top 5 of best openinings for budget re-releases. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP the Best Reprint) is a strange situation and I haven't included it. The unbundled version had a 30.266 opening.

23/08/07 01 [NDS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Best Price!) (Capcom) - 64.860
26/10/06 02 [PS2] Yakuza (Playstation 2 the Best) (Sega) - 33.012
26/10/06 03 [NDS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for All (Best Price!) (Capcom) - 22.428
27/06/02 04 [PS2] Hajime no Ippo: Victorious Boxers - Championship Version (Playstation 2 the Best) (ESP Software) - 22.198
24/06/99 05 [SDC] Sonic Adventure (Best Price!) (Sega) - 20.009
30/10/08 06 [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP the Best) (Capcom) - 19.829
25/03/99 07 [PS1] Hot Shots Golf (Playstation the Best) (SCE) - 17.678
06/12/07 08 [PS2] Yakuza 2 (Playstation 2 the Best) (Sega) - 17.659
24/06/99 09 [SDC] Virtua Fighter 3TB (Best Price!) (Sega) - 17.051
25/03/99 10 [PS1] Gran Turismo (Playstation the Best) (SCE) - 16.290
25/02/10 11 [PS3] Demon's Souls (PS3 the Best) (SCE) - 15.800
09/07/98 12 [PS1] PaRappa the Rapper (Playstation the Best) (SCE) - 14.514
03/08/06 13 [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom (PSP the Best) (Capcom) - 12.314
27/06/97 14 [PS1] Persona (Playstation the Best) (Atlus Co.) - 10.970
15/06/06 15 [NDS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Best Price!) (Capcom) - 10.898

/me applies CPR on the thread naked corpse

Was watching some Musou Multi Raid 2 indicators, and its doing extremely bad. On COMGNET pre-orders, the first one had 401pt on its release, this new one has 37pt as of yesterday, 5 days until its release. On amazon.co.jp, its #31 overall, for reference, same-day release Battlefield Bad Company 2 on PS3 is #9 overall.

Right now, MultiRaid 2 looks like it'll have a tough time beating PS3 MultiRaid port first week, which was 30k. No need to say anything about original doing 227k first week last year (Feb 26th release).

So, does anyone know what happened? Is MR2 nearly the same game with barely nothing new added and no improvements? Did everyone hate MR and won't touch anything with that name again? Is it just too many MH-like games in a row?

faridmon

M.I.S. said:
:eek:(

Come on you Japanese! Just for one moment stop dyeing your hair brown and hanging around the districts of Akihabara and pick this game up now!! :D
I think casuals weren't that impressed by Phantom Hourglass, hence this games faulty legs.

Hero of Legend said:
??? 428 3,400/37%
??? Arc Rise Fantasia 2,400/29%
These may not look like very big numbers, but budget releases starting with ~10% of what the originals started at isn't bad--even if the unusual case of RE5 makes it seem unimpressive.

Vinnk

"Vinnk's Shopping Trip In and Around His Village"

Went to 4 stores today. I was looking for the best hits version of 428 for my wife (she recently got into adventure games). 428 was out of stock t one store (Jusco department store), and it was apparently just not ordered by any of the other 3 stores (1 game store, 1 other department store (Sunlive) and a Toys R Us) I went to. I think I will need to buy it online. Anyway Muramasa was sold out at 3 of the stores (Toys R Us had a copy but it was the regular, full price, original one) and The One Piece game was sold out at 2 out of the 3 stores that carried it. Only 1 store had ARF and only 1 had Wii Ski (neither game was sold out), 2 stores had ToS2 (neither sold out). Two stores had Dragon Ball, it was sold out at the department store.

I think that the "Everyone Recommends" games turned out better than anyone planned (at least with some titles). None of the stores I went to had the entire line of games and the sellout indicate that the games they did pick up they ordered very few copies.

As for the low prices Square games. Toys R Us had a massive display set up for the games (and more copies that most of the new releases), looks like they are going to be big hits. Also I didn't realize that DQ Swords got a best hits release as well, did this happen a while ago or is it new with the DS games? Either way it was my first time to see it.

The new Pokemon spinoff had a sign next to it in both Japanese and English that said "Limit one per customer".

Captain Rainbow is 500yen at Toys R Us. Almost bought another copy of it out of pity...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cvxfreak said:
So... is Nintendo having a Japan-oriented press conference like the NOA one a few weeks ago?

You would think so, wouldn't you? I haven't read anything though. You would also think Nintendo would unveil Galaxy 2 and Metroid given that Galaxy 2 is releasing in 2.5 months or so in the U.S....

JoshuaJSlone said:
These may not look like very big numbers, but budget releases starting with ~10% of what the originals started at isn't bad--even if the unusual case of RE5 makes it seem unimpressive.

And Muramasa did over 33% of the original release's 1st week.

Vinnk said:
I think that the "Everyone Recommends" games turned out better than anyone planned (at least with some titles). None of the stores I went to had the entire line of games and the sellout indicate that the games they did pick up they ordered very few copies.

Which of them in particular were selling out? Muramasa I assume was one?

Vinnk

Hero of Legend said:
Which of them in particular were selling out? Muramasa I assume was one?

Vinnk said:
Anyway Muramasa was sold out at 3 of the stores (Toys R Us had a copy but it was the regular, full price, original one) and The One Piece game was sold out at 2 out of the 3 stores that carried it. Only 1 store had ARF and only 1 had Wii Ski (neither game was sold out), 2 stores had ToS2 (neither sold out). Two stores had Dragon Ball, it was sold out at the department store.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Old?

Gotten from Nintendoeverything:

Top 10 Best Selling Games of Feb

1. [PSP] God Eater – 496,050 / NEW
2. [DS] Dragon Quest VI – 335,926 / 1,245,907
3. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii – 211,614 / 3,419,880
4. [PS3] Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition – 186,340 / NEW
5. [DS] Tomodachi Collection – 162,619 / 2,930,498
6. [PS3] Star Ocean: The Last Hope International – 129,996 / NEW
7. [WII] Wii Fit Plus – 10,229 / 1,684,987
8. [DS] Super Robot Taisen OG Saga – 78,773 / NEW
9. [PSP] Kenka Banchou 4: Ichinen Sensou – 72,923 / NEW
10. [DS] Quiz Magic Academy DS – 56,788 / NEW

cvxfreak

4. [PS3] Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition – 186,340 / NEW
6. [PS3] Star Ocean: The Last Hope International – 129,996 / NEW

SE needs to learn to make quality re-releases. But then I guess that entails making a quality game first?

Vinnk said:
Its OK. It happens.
Anyway looks like a good sign for the Everyone Reccomends line. I hope they expand it.

Same, wonder which games they could choose next?

Little King's Story would be an absolute prime candidate, Rune Factory Frontier would be great too.

Are newer games out of the question?

Because Graces, while only 3 months old, would be a genius move, so that they can clearly use the fixed copies, so people won't have to carefully check if they're holding the bugged, or fixed copy.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm just surprised SO4 PS3 sold nearly 3/4 of the total sales of SO4 360 in Japan despite the port being released one year after with almost no relevant changes (maybe disc swapping for sure).

I dunno what's with Square Enix this gen, first is the almost-direct-with-almost-no-updates port of SO4 and then the lazy port of FFXIII 360. :/

Vinnk

Hero of Legend said:
Same, wonder which games they could choose next?

Little King's Story would be an absolute prime candidate, Rune Factory Frontier would be great too.

Are newer games out of the question?

Because Graces, while only 3 months old, would be a genius move, so that they can clearly use the fixed copies, so people won't have to carefully check if they're holding the bugged, or fixed copy.

Graces came to my mind as well. Along with a fixed Fatal Frame IV. I would say Tenchu 4 but I don't think that one was gold, silver or Platinum on the Nintendo Channel. I could be mistaken though, I haven't check for a while.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Early estimates from yugioh5ds

[NDS] Pokemon Ranger: Tracks of Light (Pokemon Co.) - 154.000 / NEW
[PSP] .hack//Link (Namco Bandai) - 61.000 / NEW
[PS3] Nobunaga's Ambition: Tendou (Koei) - 45.000 / NEW
[PSP] Kenka Bancho 4: Ichinen Sensou (Spike) - 35.000 / 108.000
[NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Ultimate Hits) (Square Enix) - 32.000 / NEW
[PSP] God Eater (Namco Bandai) - 30.000 / 526.000
[PS3] Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition (Capcom) - 23.000 / 209.000
[NDS] Keroro RPG: Kishi to Musha to Densetsu no Kaizoku (Namco Bandai) - 20.000/ NEW

Vinnk

Chris1964 said:
Early estimates from yugioh5ds

[NDS] Pokemon Ranger: Tracks of Light (Pokemon Co.) - 154.000 / NEW

HOw does this compare to the other Ranger games? It seems low to me but maybe I am just used to the massive numbers from mainline and Mysterious dungeon games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
Lol Keroro RPG. Bandai Namco should really drop the DS entirely and focus on the PSP.
Namco is too busy trying to take the company in seven different directions to actually analyze what they're doing.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Vinnk said:
HOw does this compare to the other Ranger games? It seems low to me but maybe I am just used to the massive numbers from mainline and Mysterious dungeon games.
Famitsu
[NDS] Pokemon Ranger (Pokemon Co.) - 189.314 / 189.314
[NDS] Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia (Pokemon Co.) - 243.271 / 243.271

Media Create
[NDS] Pokemon Ranger (Pokemon Co.) - 193.337 / 193.337
[NDS] Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia (Pokemon Co.) - 241.663 / 241.663 / 53,72%

Vinnk said:
Graces came to my mind as well. Along with a fixed Fatal Frame IV. I would say Tenchu 4 but I don't think that one was gold, silver or Platinum on the Nintendo Channel. I could be mistaken though, I haven't check for a while.

A reissue of FFIV would be great - the original is bloody expensive/impossible to get hold of now for importers.

NeonZ

[NDS] Keroro RPG: Kishi to Musha to Densetsu no Kaizoku (Namco Bandai) - 20.000/ NEW

The 5th Keroro movie is the worst performing one, this game probably has sold rather badly and the anime has been reduced to 15 minutes for the next season. These last two months were one bad news after another for that franchise...

They really should have tried some stronger tie ins between the various media. Outside of the commercials, the anime so far hasn't even mentioned this game or the new Keroro Pirates plastic model line.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu
[NDS] Pokemon Ranger (Pokemon Co.) - 189.314 / 189.314
[NDS] Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia (Pokemon Co.) - 243.271 / 243.271

Media Create
[NDS] Pokemon Ranger (Pokemon Co.) - 193.337 / 193.337
[NDS] Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia (Pokemon Co.) - 241.663 / 241.663 / 53,72%
I forgot to note that previous 2 Pokemon Ranger released on Thursday , the new one on Saturday, so it isn't actually declining in sales.

Can anyone find which this game is?

ゼルドナーシルト

It is supposed to be released at 25/09/97 from Sega for Saturn.

Chris1964 said:

ゼルドナーシルト

Looks to be Söldnerschild, a Sega SRPG.

soldnerschild-f.jpg

Chris1964 said:
I forgot to note that previous 2 Pokemon Ranger released on Thursday , the new one on Saturday, so it isn't actually declining in sales.

ゼルドナーシルト

Söldnerschild! I got it because I saw it for 200 yen in a store one day and remembered duckroll's suggestion of a steampunk game for Saturn with some vaguely German name(which sadly turned out to be Wachenröder, not Söldnerschild)

Soldnerschild isn't that great of an experience....

duckroll said:
Lol Keroro RPG. Bandai Namco should really drop the DS entirely and focus on the PSP.
thumbs_up.jpg

They've definitely had some PSP success, but they've also sold 50% more total games on DS (albeit with many more releases), and have had several DS games bigger than God Eater--though it may yet catch up with some of them.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
JoshuaJSlone said:
thumbs_up.jpg

They've definitely had some PSP success, but they've also sold 50% more total games on DS (albeit with many more releases), and have had several DS games bigger than God Eater--though it may yet catch up with some of them.
I think their main problem is that their success has really dried up on the system.

I mean, let's look at when Namco's DS games that sold over 100,000 copies were released:
2006: 4 (out of 12 released)
2007: 14 (out of 27 released)
2008: 6 (out of 23 released)
2009: 3 (out of 21 released)

For some reason they've completely fallen apart on the platform. They've also managed to bomb four titles out the gate this year, so it's not looking so great this time around either.

Jonnyram

1. Pokemon Ranger
2. .hack//Link
3. NSMB Wii
4. Nobunaga PS3
5. DQIX Ultimate Hits
6. Tomodachi Collection
7. Kenka Banchou 4
8. God Eater
9. Wii Fit Plus
10. RE5 Alt. Ed.

donny2112

Jonnyram said:
5. DQIX Ultimate Hits

Wow. Has Enix made any major mistakes with DQIX's release, yet?

• No game-killing bugs (right?)
  • Free weekly DLC to keep people owning the game and interested, including a million (?) people online at once unlock (IIRC)
  • Quick release of budget version after holidays

confuziz

Banned
donny2112 said:
Wow. Has Enix made any major mistakes with DQIX's release, yet?

• No game-killing bugs (right?)
  • Free weekly DLC to keep people owning the game and interested, including a million (?) people online at once unlock (IIRC)
  • Quick release of budget version after holidays

Do you mean it's surprising they haven't made a mistake yet or am I missing some kind of joke here? :lol

donny2112

confuziz said:
Do you mean it's surprising they haven't made a mistake yet or am I missing some kind of joke here? :lol

More that they've done all kinds of proactive moves that have worked out really well.

DQVIII was apparently plagued with heavy used sales cutting down its legs. (I think Jonnyram said that there were 1 million used copies sold in the first year of its release or something like that.) To counteract that, they put in the weekly DLC and launched at a lower price. Now, after the holidays, they've undercut used sales again by coming out with a BEST price re-release. Now, this likely won't be a MHP2G multiple year legs BEST re-release, but the high debut (~30K) seems like it's really hitting the right spot of people looking for a cheaper release.

As a possible additional good move, they're letting Nintendo publish it in the U.S., so that'll probably mean no SE tax and a $30 or $35 price tag at launch, too.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
confuziz said:
I think it is, it's surprising that they haven't screwed up with Dragon Quest on the DS and are making both prompt and logical moves when it comes to keeping DQIX sales up considering how they pretty much screwed up with Final Fantasy on the DS after FFIII was a success.

MechaX

duckroll said:

At least Namco has a masterplan for the PSP consisting of more Phantasia Remake/Dungeon games!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
donny2112 said:
As a possible additional good move, they're letting Nintendo publish it in the U.S., so that'll probably mean no SE tax and a $30 or $35 price tag at launch, too.
I think that's a little too optmistic. I'm expecting to pay at least $40.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, though.

botticus

Brazil said:

Very doubtful, if Nintendo doesn't even charge that much for Mario and Pokemon.

On a related note, I think I'm going to have to preorder DQVI for $35 on Amazon. For whenever it comes out in 2011-2012.

Brazil said:

Isn't Pokemon in general like $35?

Nintendo has every right to put their own "tax" on them, but they don't it seems.

Edit: Beaten. :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Paging schuelma! Paging schuelma!

Nintendo has finally gotten around to announcing their big Golden Week release slate:

Kensax (now Kensa X) dated for April 29th, 4800 yen

donny2112

Famitsu Feb 22-28

01./00. [NDS] Mugen no Frontier EXCEED: Super Robot Taisen OG Saga (Namco Bandai Games) - 78,773 / NEW
02./00. [PSP] Kenka Banchou 4: Ichinen Sensou (One Year War) (Spike) - 72,923 / NEW
03./02. [PSP] God Eater (Namco Bandai Games) - 46,914 / 496,050 (-31%)
04./01. [PS3] Resident Evil 5: Alternative Edition (Capcom) - 46,165 / 186,340 (-67%)
05./00. [PSP] Minna no Tennis Portable (SCEI) - 45,278 / NEW
06./03. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 41,672 / 3,419,880 (-15%)
07./00. [NDS] Fushigi no Dungeon: Furai no Shiren 4 - God’s Eye and the Demon’s Navel (Spike) - 40,664 / NEW
08./05. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 35,488 / 2,930,498 (-4%)
09./08. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 27,064 / 1,684,987 (+21%)
10./04. [NDS] Dragon Quest VI (Square Enix) - 23,507 / 1,245,907 (-46%)

11./00. [NDS] Higurashi no Nakukoru ni Kizuna: Dai Yon Kan - Rasen (4th Chapter - Rasen) (Alchemist) - 20,073 / NEW
12./00. [PSP] Kin-iro no Corda 3 (Koei) - 18,575 / NEW
13./00. [360] Borderlands (Microsoft Game Studios) - 17,973 / NEW
14./00. [PSP] Powerful Pro Success Legends (Konami) - 15,902 / NEW
15./00. [PS3] Demon's Souls (BEST) (SCEI) - 15,869 / NEW
16./10. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 14,313 / 3,614,626 (+16%)
17./00. [NDS] Lufia (Square Enix) - 14,110 / NEW
18./00. [PSP] BlazBlue Portable (Arc System Works) - 13,638 / NEW
19./00. [360] Espgaluda II: Black Label (Cave) - 12,354 / NEW
20./00. [PSP] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! Kizuna no Tag Battle (Marvelous) - 10,362 / NEW
21./11. [PS3] Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope International (Square Enix) - 9,763 / 129,996 (-16%)
22./14. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 9,729 / 1,782,229 (-3%)
23./09. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 9,358 / 594,053 (-31%)
24./07. [NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2010: Reverse of Arcadia (Konami) - 8,712 / 33,250 (-64%)
25./00. [WII] Oboro Muramasa: The Demon Blade (BEST/Minna no Susume Selection) (Marvelous) - 8,025 / NEW
26./00. [PS2] Kin-iro no Corda 3 (Koei) - 7,925 / NEW
27./00. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 7,913 / 199,417
28./00. [WII] One Piece Unlimited Cruise: Episode 1 (BEST/Minna no Susume Selection) (Namco Bandai Games) - 7,537 / NEW
29./23. [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo) - 7,392 / 171,604 (+6%)
30./00. [WII] Daikaijuu Battle: Ultra Coliseum DX - Ultra Senshi Daishuuketsu (Namco Bandai Games) - 7,348 / NEW

Bar Chart Feb 22-28 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2010-02-22

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Jan 25-31, 2010
Feb 1-7, 2010
Feb 8-14, 2010
Feb 15-21, 2010

Top Bottom