• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

Aters

Aww hell yes.

rPmcH50.gif

Yep. I'm particularly digging the Princess Mononoke vibe.

KingBroly

Banned
Yeah this is the kind of characterization I love. Little subtle things. He's his own person, but talking and other traditional stuff that build character aren't necessary to making him endearing and someone we come to like and admire. His expressions and mannerism really sell him.

If you notice, his face turns red in the cold weather

Spirit Tracks

Regardless, I thought Skyward Sword(even though I disliked the game) had a more memorable score than TP, especially theme song(even though it was Zelda's lullaby backwards). I'm sure this game will have great themes. I'm hoping for some music to connect it even more to Wind Waker.
Wrongo, the overworld/train-minigame theme was awesome.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Could this be trhe first time where they make a game by literally throwing in every but and the kitchen sink, and it actually works somehow?

The main thing that's worrying me is the whole open world design that they're going for. Yeah, the size of the game is insane, but if it's going to be mostly empty then...what's the point? Also worried about the kind of "side quests" they're going to put in open world game.

Other than that I'm actually liking a lot of stuff in the OP. I'll be keeping an eye on this, but if I'm getting it I'm not buying a NX just to play this game (unless the Wii U version is going to perform like crap).

The world seemed pretty dense in the demo.

Magnus

Freedom of gameplay choice, yes. Elder Scrolls and Witcher you can ride out into the world and go wherever you want.

Freedom of interactions, no. Elder Scrolls and Witcher have one way of interacting with the world: you walk around and you hit things. It never gets more complicated than that. Witcher succeeds by having a lot of hand crafted, fully voice acted quests but its actual world interaction is incredibly limited.

Where Zelda impresses is how complex, sophisticated, and thoughtful the game mechanics are. Spreading a fire and using the updraft from that fire to gain lift with your glider and jumping off your glider to shoot a bomb arrow into a monster's eye? That's insane.

Huh. Interesting. I honestly thought that level of complexity in gameplay/world-interaction existed in Skyrim/Witcher, at least, later on in those games at points I hadn't gotten to yet. I assumed Witcher in particular (with all the praise and love I've seen it get) had a lot of so-called emergent gameplay that resulted from the use of combined items, equipment and player actions to create unique solutions to varied puzzles and challenges. I'm actually a little disappointed to hear those games are missing those elements now.

I suppose players should decide whether they want the richer story/quests/etc that a game like Witcher would afford, or whether they want the deeper, more complex and emergent gameplay that Zelda now provides.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If you notice, his face turns red in the cold weather

Yup, I think his whole body does if you take off his clothes as the female presenters so gleefully pointed out.

Just like his humming when cooking and I'm sure there's quite a few other details will make Link really alive in this game. And that's not even considering how they'll handle is reactions and demeanor in cutscenes.

I know everybody is talking about all the things you can do, but I'm more excited about the physics being in the game. It looks amazingly fun.

Scoops

Banned
Game looks marvellous for sure. I'm impressed.

Help me understand something, though. I'm honestly asking here, because I haven't played too many open-world RPGs, and I honestly don't know the answer:

I see a lot of people being really impressed by the 'physics-based' gameplay here, and the freedom of gameplay choices, and the ability to venture into a lot of the world right away, etc etc.... But haven't a ton of open-world RPGs already done a lot of this? The things I'm seeing a lot of folks being blown away by here, I assumed were staples of games like Skyrim and The Witcher. Is this game really doing a lot more than those games in terms of gameplay freedom?

Again, honest question. Not trying to start a fire.

Most open world games are more of an illusion of an open free world more then anything. Sure there's wide open space for you to explore and side quests that populate said world, but it's all scripted with one way to accomplish each task.

This Zelda game is almost like the Gary's Mod of open world games. They give you fire, wind, physics engines etc. that basically allow you to do anything you want as long as you find the right tool. All of the puzzles have multiple ways of completion. And even many of the required tasks can be completed in any order. The mini-dungeons where you get new tools have multiple ways to complete which means you can complete them and get items in any order.

Skyrim and Witcher is more like, go to any point you want...to initiate scripted event and calling that open world. And oh btw all of the core events have to completed in order so only the unconsequential side quests are truly "open." Zelda here is more like, go to any point you want...and solve the puzzle any way you can figure out in any order you can. It encourages more experimentation, strategy as to which items you use and immersion in a real world.

Ever since playing Demons' Souls, I have been dreaming of a Zelda that could match that experience. This sound like this could be the one. The purest Zelda experience since Link to the Past.

Buggy Loop

giphy.gif

Ok so... Link jump from the horse, use the fire's hot rising air to lift up, and then shoot an arrow in mid-air directly in the guardian's eye?

Holy shit

Chaos17

I know everybody is talking about all the things you can do, but I'm more excited about the physics being in the game. It looks amazingly fun.

You're totaly right, during the stream the player tried some cool stuff involved "physic" and we were like "wow!"

spxxOvV.gif

Just like how Link used the wind to spread the fire.
We're all saying "savage!" lol

MuchoMalo

Banned
By the way, am I crazy or does this map dwarf pretty much every last-gen game and even several current-gen open-world games? How is this even possible on Wii U? I mean, I can see that the textures aren't fantastic, there's a little pop-in, and mountain walls are flat, but is that really all that they needed to compromise on to achieve this!?

This is why I don't want Nintendo to go third-party. You can't make a game like this without the freedom to take your time in a big way. Then again, FFXV somehow looks more rough than this game in spite of how long they've been working on that...

Joqu

Did they show any dark, dense forests in any of the footage? Trees seem to look more varied now so that's good, but I didn't notice any particularly impressive ones. I do love me some trees.

KingBroly

Banned
One thing that impressed me (while not that impressive by comparison) is that this game actually has long-distance lighting effects instead of just the standard 'here's an effect in this area' kinda thing.

Chaos17

Did they show any dark, dense forests in any of the footage? Trees seem to look more varied now so that's good, but I didn't notice any particularly impressive ones. I do love me some trees.

Nah, we stayed in the beginner area and visited 6 smalls dungeons called shrines.

ScribbleD

By the way, am I crazy or does this map dwarf pretty much every last-gen game and even several current-gen open-world games? How is this even possible on Wii U? I mean, I can see that the textures aren't fantastic, there's a little pop-in, and mountain walls are flat, but is that really all that they needed to compromise on to achieve this!?

You can do a little with a little when the emphasis is on art style. Wii U's library is full of examples.

Buggy Loop

Xenoblade X probably has similar size

It looks to be larger than most, if not all, open world games. It's a tough metric to measure, but I'm sure someone will figure it out come release.

Joqu

Nah, we stayed in the beginner area and visited 6 smalls dungeons called shrines.

Thanks! I think only saw 2 shrines in what I watched, they were really cool. Bummer about my trees though! Oh well, I assume there'll be some to my liking. :p

This is why I don't want Nintendo to go third-party. You can't make a game like this without the freedom to take your time in a big way. Then again, FFXV somehow looks more rough than this game in spite of how long they've been working on that...

it's got more to do with manpower and hours than hardware power. There is no crazy foliage or anything like that.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Übermatik;207122956 said:
It looks to be larger than most, if not all, open world games. It's a tough metric to measure, but I'm sure someone will figure it out come release.

Eh... I don't think it's larger than JC3 at least lol

Makonero

Have you played Xenoblade X? Nintendo has the tech ready to go.

wishdom

Nintendo compression magic.

But seriously, they said the map is about 12 times the size of TP and so far looks bigger than Xenoblade X (which used 23 out of 25GB)

Übermatik;207122956 said:

I wouldn't go that far, games like Skyrim and Wild Hunt are still pretty freakin' huge, and Just Cause 2 and 3 are definitely bigger

This game will almost certainly be smaller than Xenoblade X, because if it isn't this will be a 400 hour game

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have very, very serious doubts.

1) Huge open world. Okay, technically like old Zelda, but on the other hand open world sucked in OoT, WW, TP, and I never got around to SS because it was in my period of PC-only gaming. Nonetheless, in past entries I was terribly bored with open world. They were simply bad at making them and only the dungeons were fun. I would have liked, then, a greater focus on dungeons, but they did the exact opposite. If it works it will be fixing the biggest problem I have with 3D Zeldas. If it doesn't work, it will have massively increased the problem.

2) Not helping that fear at all is the inclusion of many things I have hated in nearly any game that includes them and very often mod out. Stamina prohibiting actions, items that break so you have to replace them, a crafting system to try and make up for the breaking stuff which really just adds more busywork to the game and provides more excuses to have all those little chest challenges and shrines around the world and a lot of them will actually just give you some crafting garbage. It is needless padding. It is bad influence from western devs. It greatly increases my fears about the large open world being poorly done since meaningless shit activities and dumb collecting had a prominent place in WW and TP.

3) On the stream I saw a guy wanting to get to a chest that was on a platform and he decided to stack boulders. He set one down, went to get another, and came back to find the first was gone. That's some pretty shitty persistence for a large open world you're supposed to experiment with. On the one hand, it may be designed to make sure you don't ruin puzzles before solving them, but on the other hand it harms the immersion and turns such discoveries into things which feel forcefully withheld from you until you get the prescribed item to get them that is out there somewhere.

4) Gonna sound too picky but they are only using bilinear filtering. Is it still 1998? No AA is fine, that is tough on hardware, okay, whatever, but bilinear filtering? Come the fuck on on. There is no way that Wii U doesn't have the juice for AF at nearly zero penalty.

Anth0ny

Great write ups Wesker. This game has a ton of potential.

I'm actually amazed at all the Dark Souls influence I was seeing. Left a very good impression on me.

Will be picking this up on the NX for sure. The only thing that bugged me a little was that there was always 3 goblins at every single camp site. Hope we see the number of goblins mix up a little from camp site to camp site.

The combat animation timings in this game appear to be very deliberate just like Dark Souls, it should add to the satisfaction.

They de-emphasized the second screen stuff so much (which seemed to be a major feature when they showed it off at the Game Awards two years ago) that one can't help but wonder if that indicates NX may not have a second screen. Or at least not one with as much as focus as Wii U.

Schnozberry

Will be picking this up on the NX for sure. The only thing that bugged me a little was that there was always 3 goblins at every single camp site. Hope we see the number of goblins mix up a little from camp site to camp site.

Sounds like the demo was set up that way on purpose. The camps in the release version will have a different mix of enemies at camps.

Huh. Interesting. I honestly thought that level of complexity in gameplay/world-interaction existed in Skyrim/Witcher, at least, later on in those games at points I hadn't gotten to yet. I assumed Witcher in particular (with all the praise and love I've seen it get) had a lot of so-called emergent gameplay that resulted from the use of combined items, equipment and player actions to create unique solutions to varied puzzles and challenges. I'm actually a little disappointed to hear those games are missing those elements now.

I suppose players should decide whether they want the richer story/quests/etc that a game like Witcher would afford, or whether they want the deeper, more complex and emergent gameplay that Zelda now provides.

In addition to the fire interactions mentioned above, think about trees:

In Skyrim you can shoot massive fireballs at a tree, or watch a dragon dive into a tree and what happens? The tree stays there because the tree is static. In BotW you can chop down any tree with the axe, blow a bunch of trees down with a bomb, or set it on fire with any one of numerous fire weapons. Once down you can chop it further to get some firewood, or knock it down strategically over a gorge to make yourself a bridge. Or leave it standing and climb it.

Skyrim and the Witcher have nothing close to that level of interactivity with the enviornmet. Other games do but massive amounts of interactivity and variability in how you play with the world is not the focus of your two examples, but that does seem to be the case for this Zelda.

Top Bottom