• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

zma1013

The shrines look like very disappointing puzzle set pieces, they are over before they even start. I hope there are some more intricate dungeons in this game.

If this is the first area in the game, im guessing they start them simple. Later in the game in other areas I'd assume they'd have more difficult ones.

So who is doing this soundtrack?
It honestly doesn't sound like anything from previous Zelda titles, ir doesn't sound like any Nintendo composer.
The closest thing I can think of is it sounds like Ryo Kunihiko's work in AION which was meant to blend the sound of Western RPGs ambiance with Eastern RPGs melodic tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HTA9hbn6WA#t=0m40s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7rlBSqJoOg

Is there any concrete information on who the composer is?

deviant1

What i think is really telling, is that a lot of people are saying they will buy this on NX (or buy an NX for this) while nobody cares that it's a WiiU game. I think that's telling of A/ how good it looks B/ nobody cares because the gameplay will make you forget about how it looks in the first place.

Or it just shows how nobody wants to buy a Wii U. This game looks impressive but theres no way I'm picking up a Wii U just for this when an NX version could be even better (depending on what the heck the NX is).

heringer

this game seems so RICH and VARIED.
This gif is great in showing also like the combat systems has been overhauled completely

giphy.gif

Man, this gif. All of the gifs in this thread.

That's it. Gaming has finally peaked. After this game I'm done with videogames.

Aesnath

This is the thing with Nintendo--I can be disappointed-with or uninterested-in 8/10 of their releases, but those last two are basically worth buying entire consoles for.

This thing looks pretty fantastic.

Maedhros

I'm totally getting a NX to play this game. Totally.

But I'm not buying a fucking Amiibo just to have a wolf... hopefully it'll be achievable in game.

Hobbun

A few things.

First of all, this game sounds massive, and I love it. Although I hope it solves the “huge world, but empty one”, that has plagued previous Zeldas. It does sound like there is a lot to do, but I want more to do than just cooking and crafting to keep me busy. I want to find treasures and secrets everywhere. And I don’t mean treasures like “You’ve found 25 Rupees!”

Not sure how I feel about unlimited bombs. I kind of like that you run out and ‘need’ to find more in previous installments. But I don’t think should be any big issue.

I am hoping the quick degradation is early on in the game, where you haven’t found the more powerful (magical?) weapons and equipment yet. And once you get the nicer weapons (like maybe finding the first iteration of the Master Sword) you don’t need to worry about your weapons breaking. Does armor degrade, as well? I hope not, as that would just become too annoying.

As for healing, I love it. Actually finding food to heal, and cooking it gives you more. But I hope when they say “there will be no hearts”, that they mean there will be no ‘healing’ hearts. I would assume you still need to find heart pieces? I would hope so, as it just isn’t Zelda otherwise.

The shrines sound interesting, and love there are a lot of them. But even still, I want a good amount of my full-sized dungeons, as well. No only four of them, which was rumored in another thread. But the world is big enough, so I don’t see why they can’t give us a good amount of these, as well.

I really love how you can interact with the world. Spreading a fire, cutting down trees to make a bridge, rolling rocks down a hill to crush enemies. Look forward to doing ‘all’ of that.

All told, I have some reservations on the things I listed above, until they are answered. However, from what I am hearing about the game overall, it sounds phenomenal.

phanphare

Banned
If this is the first area in the game, im guessing they start them simple. Later in the game in other areas I'd assume they'd have more difficult ones.

yeah they mentioned that on the stream. audrey seemed to imply that they get quite difficult because she said to enjoy the easy ones while they last.

jblank83

Making my way through the first day when:

OzaZSnK.gif

dat brutal ragdoll.

hXe1COB.gif

I really really REALLY like the ragdolling in this game. Somehow it retains the cheese-factor from Souls while at the same time feeling much heavier and slightly more realistic.

Also, I'm loving all the little runewords people are finding. Great detail and funny too. "Rotate", "Loading please wait", great stuff.

Funny how many similarities it seems to share with Horizon! Looks fantastic, I've never been so interested in a Zelda game. I may buy my first Nintendo console for this.

Andrin

First of all the game looks awe-inspiring. All the comparisons to Ghibli movies, especially Princess Mononoke are really apt. This feels like the perfect complement to Majora's Mask in being truly unique and inspired 3d games, not just good Zelda games.

As to those worried about the (possible lack of ) story, and the comment on being able to go straight to the final boss from the start, remember Chrono Trigger? You could (attempt to) fight Lavos very early in that game, but that doesn't stop it from still being praised as one of the best stories in gaming.

Finally, has anyone mentioned that the monks at the end of the shrines are holding their hands in the shapes of the individual parts of the Triforce (inverted triangle included), including holding them in the correct positions? I found that to be a really interesting detail.

spookyfish

I enjoyed watching it, but I have to say, it kind of left me cold.

The fact that this is at least a year away kind of pisses me off. I can't help but believe they're delaying it for Wii U because of NX, and I DON'T believe NX will be out by March 2017.

Yep. I'm an entitled gamer.

Hindl

Not clear where the four dungeon talk stemmed from. Thinking on it, it'd be interesting to have four gigantic dungeons. Talking ambitious 3 to 4 hour Ico-sized beasts that you're not required to complete in one sitting. Or more manageable and realistic, perhaps Boletarian Palace-size. Unlocking shortcuts and gradually conquering the dungeon over time instead of a short affair where one item acts as the solution to various puzzles. Especially with the nonlinear nature, you've the opportunity to allow for multiple solutions to a puzzle depending on your item set.

So in the years since they first announced this game, I've always come back to a rumor reported in 2012 about the dungeons. It sounded way too good to be true and typical game PR hyperbole. But honestly, seeing BotW in action makes me believe it's actually possible. The origin of the rumor is Wii U Daily which is banned, so I'll post another site sourcing them but quote Wii U Daily. Here's the rumor:

The new Wii U Zelda will feature “about the same amount of dungeons as previous Zelda games, but these will be vastly bigger in scope and will be totally different from each other. Some dungeons are so big they’re broken up in 3 parts and will literally take hours to complete”. The Wii U Zelda game will also “have mini-games and side quests, but these are still on the drawing board”. Finally, the game’s composers are creating a brand new orchestral soundtrack with “hours of music”. No word on whether any characters will speak in the game. Regarding the story, he said “I really can’t comment on that [the story] because I have no idea what it is. I dunno where it’s set in the Zelda timeline. I’ve seen a grown up Link who looks like a much higher detailed Link from Skyward Sword. I haven’t see any cut scenes or boss fights either at this point. I’m not sure they’ve made any of that yet”.

“Some dungeons are so big they’re broken up in 3 parts and will literally take hours to complete”One of the dungeons is said to be an entire forest. “The first test dungeon they made was a giant forest running on early and buggy Wii U hardware — the dungeon was bigger than the Hyrule field in Ocarina, and the whole thing is one dungeon. You use the gamepad to navigate, avoid traps, follow clues etc. It’s dark, lush, with a ton of trees, foliage, some which you have to cut your way through. Its scope and details are unlike anything you’ve seen in a Zelda game”. He added that the Wii U Zelda game is so big, it wouldn’t be possible without the 25 GB Blu-ray based storage that the console uses.

Also interesting tidbit given how everyone keeps talking about the ragdolling being similar to DS:

“They’re using a new, state of the art engine that’s being built from ground up in parallel with the game. It’s got the most advanced visual features Nintendo has ever made, and includes a lot of third party tech like Havok for physics and rendering middleware from Umbra (which was recently confirmed for the Wii U)”.

https://www.vg247.com/2012/09/05/zelda-wii-u-release-in-2014-gameplay-details-leaked-report/

Ever since I first heard this, I was dreaming this would be what it actually was like, but I never thought it would happen. But man, I could honestly see it being the case. The forest temple just being a massive forest? Sounds amazing.

Altazor

Here's a GIF I made from a Treehouse video showing how large the map can get to the North. I think there's probably a little bit even further north, but I reckon it's not much.

KcRIjvS.gif

Daft_Cat

LOL wow

But whatever floats your boat I guess..

Eh - dismissive shit like this drives me nuts. If you're going to hand wave, at least offer something a bit more substantive.

Haven't played Xenoblade, but if it offers as rich an experience as The Witcher 3 (and there's no reason to think it won't) then it will be in very good company indeed.

Here's a GIF I made from a Treehouse video showing how large the map can get to the North. I think there's probably a little bit even further north, but I reckon it's not much.

KcRIjvS.gif

Not bad, has anyone compared to the map from 2014? The squiggly line north of the plateau lines up with one of the rivers.

Z3M0G

KcRIjvS.gif

So the colored area is the only area explored so far? It reveals as you explore?

I THINK I NEED THIS GAME

imae

I wonder if the auto-save system in the E3 demo will exist in the final game, it seems very generous currently. Given the
towers are called "Resurrection Towers", perhaps you'll spawn at the nearest one each time you die (unless in a dungeon)

Although going by what happens in the E3 show floor demo
it's more like the towers are resurrecting Ganon...

Watched the entirety of this video at high speed and noticed something falling from the sky at 16:25. Neat.

That's awesome, nice find!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Not bad, has anyone compared to the map from 2014? The squiggly line north of the plateau lines up with one of the rivers.

I did a super rough thing last night circling the area of the plateau we saw yesterday on the 2014 map. If you look to the region directly to the right the southern border perfectly matches the shape of the norther coast of Lake Hylia. But even then the new map looks to be even bigger. The playable area on the 2014 map is position further south than the new one and even the northern and eastern areas seem to be expanded.

Altazor

So the colored area is the only area explored so far? It reveals as you explore?

I THINK I NEED THIS GAME

Yes, the colored area is the only area explored so far... the entire Treehouse stream (like, 5 hours) was spent on that tiny colored section of the map. And, of course, that map isn't even taking into account the 100+ shrines present nor, of course, the unknown amount of larger dungeons the game will have. So yeah.

scamander

Banned
Am I the only one a little disappointed at the lack of gamepad usage? The Sheikah Slate is basically a gamepad and it is pretty obvious it was supposed to be used on the second screen (especially when scanning enemies and stuff). I also think the item selection and menus were supposed to be handled on the gamepad to not break the flow of the game. Looks to me like they purposely made the Wii U version worse, just so that it wouldn't have advantages over the NX version.

Have they shown what happens on the controller screen? And confirmed Off-TV play?
It doesn't do anything. There was a choice to play it off screen though.

I really enjoyed the time I got to play with it. The world just feels MASSIVE. I wanted to run around and see everything I could but that would have been impossible with the time you get. I love that already the game feels so deep with a lot of different mechanics but it doesn't feel overly complicated. I didn't get to hear much of the details but there seemed to be a noise meter that will obviously come in to play later.
This is the Zelda I've been waiting for. Can't wait.

Also, here's my mini video of my day waiting in line (3 hours) to play it. https://youtu.be/x0_BhWfScJY

Henkka

Banned
Have they said anything about the dungeons? The Giant Bomb guys said the dungeon in the demo only took a few minutes. Are there proper, long dungeons?

Edit: Nvm, just saw that in the OP

DrArchon

Thanks for compiling all this info, OP. I couldn't watch every second of the stream so reading through this was the next best thing.

This game sounds astounding! The level of freedom is really unprecedented for a Zelda game and that really appeals to me. I can't be fucked with the recent Zelda games and their long introductions and tutorials, so having you drop into the game and the game basically saying "Go nuts" sounds really appealing. That and multiple weapons for mixing up combat, because I get tired of killing every enemy with a regular sword.

Hobbun

“Some dungeons are so big they’re broken up in 3 parts and will literally take hours to complete”One of the dungeons is said to be an entire forest. “The first test dungeon they made was a giant forest running on early and buggy Wii U hardware — the dungeon was bigger than the Hyrule field in Ocarina, and the whole thing is one dungeon. You use the gamepad to navigate, avoid traps, follow clues etc. It’s dark, lush, with a ton of trees, foliage, some which you have to cut your way through. Its scope and details are unlike anything you’ve seen in a Zelda game”. He added that the Wii U Zelda game is so big, it wouldn’t be possible without the 25 GB Blu-ray based storage that the console uses.

Wow, this sounds fucking phenomenal. My hype just went up.

Top Bottom