• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward Bailout Watch

Akia

I finally caught up with editing the OP and reading the thread.

Request: Does anyone mind shopping the IW logo in the OP with the words bailout lol?

Rich!

Sohter.Nura said:
Well, I'm not sure if leaving for Respawn is a great move, either.

Remember, Zampella and West may be the bosses over there, but the big boss is still EA nonetheless. That's like switching 6 for half a dozen.

EA are only a holding partner - they don't have any control over Respawn. They finance them and share the profits, but Respawn can do whatever the hell they want and will fully own any new IPs. Which is pretty much the opposite of what they had with Activision.

Shogun PaiN said:
An extremely annoying Inconsiderate person most commonly associated with Harley Davidson riders/Rides a Harley?

FRAGS.jpg

No_Style

Sohter.Nura said:

Remember, Zampella and West may be the bosses over there, but the big boss is still EA nonetheless. That's like switching 6 for half a dozen.

EA Partners program.

That's like saying EA was the big boss of Valve.

Sohter.Nura said:

Respawn controls their IP's. They get to make what they want. EA is going to do anything to piss them off.

NeoUltima

Roughmar said:
Can someone explain, or link me, something that explains exactly what happened?

So far I know that 2 big guys from MW2 were fired from Activision. These guys sue Activision, as it weren't paying them royalties. Activision countersues them of something more or less like espionage. Is this correct?

What is going on?
W&Z didn't want to make MW3. Activision says they have to. V&Z shop around new game ideas to other publishers, and supposedly use IW assets to do so. Activision finds out, fires them. V&Z sue, claiming that Activision just fired them to avoid paying bonuses. That lawsuit pissed Activision off, Activision counter-sues.

richisawesome said:
EA are only a holding partner - they don't have any control over Respawn. They finance them and share the profits, but Respawn can do whatever the hell they want and will fully own any new IPs. Which is pretty much the opposite of what they had with Activision.

Oh, okay.

So basically, EA just finances the games for Respawn and gets the profit? I sort of don't get it :eek: are they like just another stakeholder in the company?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Sohter.Nura said:
Oh, okay.

So basically, EA just finances the games for Respawn and gets the profit? I sort of don't get it :eek: are they like just another stakeholder in the company?

"Hey, here's a couple millions dollars to help you along your way. When you finish, we'll help distribute your shit and take our cut, so don't fuck up."

Sohter.Nura said:
Oh, okay.

EA have exclusive publishing rights for Respawns games

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Sohter.Nura said:
Oh, okay.

sounds like thats pretty much it. id invest in respawn if i could too. theyre a talented bunch

Sohter.Nura said:

No really, not at all. EA is the company that lets Burnout developer Criterion give DLC away for the best part of a year. It lets the house that built battlefield create a free running game, even when the CEO has severe doubts about it. It is a company that has taken more risks than any other major publisher in recent years and those risks have given us some great games.

Looking forward to seeing what happens.

Akia said:
I finally caught up with editing the OP and reading the thread.

Request: Does anyone mind shopping the IW logo in the OP with the words bailout
lol?

I found this one over at Kotaku...

More of a bumper sticker actually.

original.jpg

Cerberus

Sohter.Nura said:
Oh, okay.

Being part of the EA Partners program means EA will mostly handle the distribution and marketing of the game. In Respawn's case, I think they will be funding the development as well.

Mrbob

Second said:
I'm sure that 95% of the MW userbase doesn't even care who makes the games.

Not directly, but they will once they stop buying the games as the quality goes downhill.

The CoD franchise has peaked, and with the talent leaving that truly made the franchise uber popular there is nowhere to go but down.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
CrazedArabMan said:
Not bad, better than the other one, what we actually need is a GIF of some sort that is MW related.
The part where Soap jumps out of the window in Favalla.

BAILOUT

kamspy

HAS ANYONE SEEN GRANT COLLIER

it's like he disappeared from the internet after COD4. great great community oriented developer. I remember beta testing COD4 and posting on the old IW forums and Grant was one of the most active posters! not a tweet to be seen.

HAS ANYONE SEEN GRANT COLLIER

My PC misses his art. :(

kenta

Has no PEINS
Y2Kev said:
I think IW's interfacing with the community in the leadup to and after the release of Modern Warfare 2 was contemptuous and rude.

I don't feel particular fondness for anyone at the studio
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I want to say I'm interested in whatever W&Z do next, but yeah, history

Teknoman

And here I just beat MW2 and saw what sorta seemed like another cliffhanger.

I wonder if any of the IW guys will help DICE and whatever other team is working on the modern Medal of Honor?

Akia

Teknoman said:
I wonder if any of the IW guys will help DICE and whatever other team is working on the modern Medal of Honor?

EA has confirmed that they're not working/consulting/assisting on any existing EA property. They're making a new IP.

GodfatherX said:
why?

regardless if you like Treyarch why would anyone want them changing them name to IW and getting the credit that comes with that studio recognition?

Because they've had to put up with a lot of shit from IW. Considering how juvenile W/Z can be, it would most likely annoy them to no end, generating some hard earned lolz from the Treyarch people.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
2ursck0.gif

I can't do the rest currently, someone else can crop and add "bail out" if they want

Truespeed

LeMaximilian said:
Kinda bites cause 'Infinity Ward' is a pretty badass name for a company. Nontheless...this is gonna be gooood work time entertainment. :D

I kind of like Respawn better. It defines the new company while reminding us of its conceptual origin. Personally, I would have called the new company Deactivation.

Lime

Wasn't 402 also the guy who made unprofessional (read: douchebag) comments about Treyarch, whereas Treyarch responded with outmost professionalism?

Regardless, I don't think Activision nor Infinity Ward could have hired a worse PR guy.

Truespeed

Y2Kev said:
Still at IW:

• Robert Bowling

everything is ok

I wonder how many times he's thought of or tried to make a play for a more significant role after the departure of West and Zampella. I wouldn't put it past him to have been the office mole for corporate.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Lime said:
Wasn't 402 also the guy who made unprofessional (read: douchebag) comments about Treyarch, whereas Treyarch responded with outmost professionalism?

the blog post is gone (I think) but you can still find some of the quotes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/nov/10/gameculture

Here's his reaction to Heller's assertion that the bolt-action rifle used to require three or four shots to down an enemy...

WTF are you talking about?! "in previous Call of Dutys blah blah blah". First of all, you didn't work on "previous Call of Dutys", so don't talk as if you're down with how / why things were designed the way they were. Second, you're completely fucking wrong.​

And then some more:

A rule of thumb I like to use is…. when promoting your game. Promote YOUR game. Don't compare it to another game, or reference what OTHER games did in the past, pitch YOUR game. I mean, you have lots of cool things you could talk about… like Nazi Zombies….

Can you guys please stop interviewing this guy, talk to someone who actually works on the Dev Team at Treyarch and knows what the fuck they're talking about. Not Senior Super Douche Noah Heller from Activision - who apparently has never played the game and doesn't even work at the developer.​

edit: cached copy

Noah Heller - Stop Doing Interviews…

Seriously man…. You’re killing me!

If I see one more Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare google alert come through my inbox, that ends up being a COD:WaW article that is only showing up because YOU referenced Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare more times than you mention World At War….

Especially when you’re pulling shit out of your ass. Come on man, interview about your game. Not OURS! Call of Duty: World at War can stand on it’s own merits, leave ours out of it. Like this gem of a quote from today’s article on CVG…

“In the previous Call of Dutys it might take three or four shots from a bolt action rifle,” he explained. “We made sure that a single shot centre mass would kill that opponent because that’s the expectation of the player.”

What the bleem are you talking about?! “in previous Call of Dutys blah blah blah”. First of all, you didn’t work on “previous Call of Dutys”, so don’t talk as if you’re down with how / why things were designed the way they were. Second, you’re completely bleeming wrong.

Bolt Action rifles are one hit kills in every Call of Duty we (Infinity Ward) made!!

I won’t compare it to World at War’s Bolt Actions, I can’t speak to that because I don’t work there. Just like you don’t work here, so please stop talking about our games.

A rule of thumb I like to use is…. when promoting your game. Promote YOUR game. Don’t compare it to another game, or reference what OTHER games did in the past, pitch YOUR game. I mean, you have lots of cool things you could talk about… like Nazi Zombies….

Can you guys please stop interviewing this guy, talk to someone who actually works on the Dev Team at Treyarch and knows what the bleem they’re talking about. Not Senior Super Douche Noah Heller from Activision - who apparently has never played the game and doesn’t even work at the developer.

Alright, I’m done ranting… but I can’t take another google alert of garbage coming through my inbox with bullshit quotes from this guy.

Truespeed

Teknoman said:
And here I just beat MW2 and saw what sorta seemed like another cliffhanger.

EA is just a publisher for Respawn. Respawn has nothing to gain and everything to lose by sharing their IP with EA or anyone else. Respawn is a totally independent company - they've finally learned what it's like working for corporate.

So in this thread people are getting excited because employees might leave one company to join another? Is that where we are as a forum now?

Top Bottom