• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War E3 thread (impressions, interviews and new info)

MaxHouse

Banned
by the way at the end of the demo..

after Kratos and his son kill the deer

you can see a bolt of lighting that seems like its going upward

could it be Thor casting?

AtkO

I know that we have spotted those things that are levitating or flying, but has this one been mentioned?

X0rcWSD.jpg

Sorry about the crappy youtube ss but that's all I can do. It's exactly at 3:41, it's really brief, but those things sure seem to be watching us.

Also, it would really suck if those things were in parts of the game where the player can't go, I would love to chase one of those.

MaxHouse

Banned
I know that we have spotted those things that are levitating or flying, but has this one been mentioned?

X0rcWSD.jpg

Sorry about the crappy youtube ss but that's all I can do. It's exactly at 3:41, it's really brief, but those things sure seem to be watching us.

it does look like another one

zbszx7lbzstj.jpg

mpjlguvy9scy.jpg

I'm hoping Kratos kept all of the Greek artifacts from the previous games and slowly starts using them throughout the game.

We already know he's kept at least the Hermes boots (good thing too, severely underused in GoW3), hopefully a few more. Interplay between Greek artifacts/powers in non-Greek worlds would be a really cool plot device.

Like how David Jaffe wanted GoW3 to have a boss battle with a huge Egyptian Monster, freeze it with the Greek Medusa Head, and have that become the Sphinx we have today.

SOR5

Rewatched the gameplay trailer. Not sure why I originally thought the fights were scripted, he clearly throws his axe by his own volition. Which then renders him weaponless and he chooses not to retrieve it so that's why he bare fists the enemy.

I really hope this game has lots of weapons, that would be awesome with the new slower, soulsy combat.

Im sure there will be an impressive armory

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Somewhere in the world Dennis Dyack is watching the reveal of God of War and then pulling out a gun and shooting the screen.

Tonky

"We can see that they're almost certainly the boots of Hermes. Who were given to Kratos by Athena in God of War 3." "Given"...

kratostrz3r.png

kratos11wy9k.png
Holy crap. I know we've only seen a little bit, but these pics just made me realize how big of a graphical jump this is.

I had the belated realisation this week (after being distracted by Bear McCreary's amazing new God of War theme), that we'll no longer have the glory that was the previous theme.

hold devil's pot of tea

hold devil's pot of tea

hold devil's pot of tea

no devil's pot of tea, mulan

MY MILKSHAKE

I'll miss you, old friend. We had so many good times. Well, violent times, but they were still pretty good.

strafer

Holy crap. I know we've only seen a little bit, but these pics just made me realize how big of a graphical jump this is.

I played the regular version of God of War 3 (not remastered) not long ago and the game still holds up reallly really well. The Kratos model is gorgeous.

Just saying.

Tonky

I played the regular version of God of War 3 (not remastered) not long ago and the game still holds up reallly really well. The Kratos model is gorgeous.

Just saying.
Oh absolutely. GoW3 looked incredible when it released and still does. But SSM just improved this so much above anything we've seen, and it doesn't even have a fixed camera anymore. I think this game will be one of the best looking games on PS4, just like GoW3 was for PS3.

Endo Punk

This interview is very worth watching until the very end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rhgv9koPD0

He brought the people back who worked on the original God of War.

If there are still people down on the game for removing fixed camera and blades really need to watch this. There are 7 games that stuck to the same formula, a shake up is a must and who better than the og guys. The franchise has been moving forward with blinders for too long and a drastic change is exactly what was needed. I'm really glad Cory came back to the franchise and has a clear vision for th future of it.

Omg...that was the best interview yet so far. Like "I get it"...I hope they deliver...should be another amazing storytelling piece and move gaming even further.

I know older gamers like to scoff and the direction so many in the industry are taking with storytelling playing such a huge focus. But, I think it's important to bring in new players. I love deep mechanics, but I'm really beginning to get to the point where I need both now to truly consider a game great.

bunkitz

Damn, thanks for sharing, man! Great interview, really informative.

I like that we get to choose what kind of arrow the boy will be using, that's pretty cool. This kind of reinforces my idea that the lightning came from the bow/arrow, and not the boy's "demigod" powers or whatever.

I'm really curious as to how he'll divide battles like Cory mentioned, though. Like, do we get to set his behavior like you do in games like Final Fantasy or the Tales of series? Or is he always going to take on the weaker enemies? Okay, wait, actually, it makes sense for him to do that since, well, he's the weaker one.

Hmm. The axe is connected to the mother and the son. Well, the mother taught their son how to hunt, right? I wouldn't be surprised if it actually belonged to her. I'm really starting to feel like she's dead already. That, or she's left them behind. Could be that she just went on a "trip" of sorts, I suppose.

Also, he keeps saying "seven games." There have only been six, right? Three numbered titles, and three PSP titles. Minor little thing, but it's just weird that he keeps making that mistake.

Very glad to hear that they're pulling away from the vengeance theme. Please don't kill every god you meet, Kratos.

Love the troll story! I have little doubt that there will be many more "stories" like that throughout the game. Hopefully, we'll get to actually learn their stories through the game as opposed to hearing it from the developers, haha. I love it when games do this. It makes the world feel so much more alive when you put stories in the background like that, which is one of the many reasons why I love The Last of Us so much. Really, really excited to hear that there'll be a focus on exploration. I love mythologies, especially Greek and Norse, so it's exciting to know that we'll be able to explore this Norse setting, as opposed to the previous Greek setting which we just murdered our way through.

Also, he keeps saying "seven games." There have only been six, right? Three numbered titles, and three PSP titles. Minor little thing, but it's just weird that he keeps making that mistake.

Lul what? There are only 2 PSP titles, 3 numbered ones and Ascension. There is the mobile GOW everyone forgets about which is God Of war Betrayal and it is totally canon. You should play it.

Storywise here is the order of the 7 God Of War games:

- God Of War: Ascension
- God Of War: Chains of Olympus
- God of War
- God Of War: Betrayal
- God Of War:Ghost of Sparta
- God of War II
- God of War III

And now:

God øf War

SRTtoZ

Good vid. A lot of the same stuff but a few new things! Also, Cory Barlog GOAT for bringing up SOTC :)

In terms of reaction videos, I really liked the ones that were watching the stream live instead of just the trailer knowing it was GoW already, but yea I spent the 2-3 days after E3 only watching reaction videos of everything lol.

Yeah does not really fit this time around.

So you do upgrade his son.

He also mentions 15 o 20 enemies on screen not sure about the 100 though :p

One part in the first GOW, where you have to push a big stone block in a puzzle, countless number of enemies were thrown at you to hinder you. I don't think this would be impossible. Heavenly Sword had around 2 thousands enemies per screen and Lair (flop or not) managed to pull 13k various units from soldiers to rhinos to dragons to epic scale bosses at the same time in a surface of 50 square km with a res around 1600 x 1080 (when upscaled) and just using less than the half of PS3 power.
I don't think this is an impossible job for SSM with just 100 units.

bunkitz

Lul what? There are only 2 PSP titles, 3 numbered ones and Ascension. There is the mobile GOW everyone forgets about which is God Of war Betrayal and it is totally canon. You should play it.

Storywise here is the order of the 7 God Of War games:

- God Of War: Ascension
- God Of War: Chains of Olympus
- God of War
- God Of War: Betrayal
- God Of War:Ghost of Sparta
- God of War II
- God of War III

And now:

God øf War

Oops, my bad. I knew about Betrayal, although it was at the back of my head, so to speak. I just didn't know it was canon and shit. Thanks for clearing that up!

New infos from the Gameplay Engineering Lead and the combat designer:

Shroff and Sheth also discuss the changes in gameplay. There are two styles of combat: melee with the axe and hand-to-hand. The axe will have ranged and up close uses, as seen in the demo, but will also be beneficial outside of combat in exploration and looting. However, what is shown is nothing compared to the wide variety of attacks to be experienced within the game’s full arsenal.

Also of note is the slow-motion wrestling attack versus the troll. According to the devs, and evident in the demo, it’s a result of Kratos’ rage manifested over time and unleashed. It appears to be a cool way of tying together the narrative and the gameplay.

"The troll is a big enemy, so they pull back the camera." So expect an adapted situation for larger enemies.

Top Bottom