• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ha, it's actually an expansion on local multiplayer. Now you can play a multiplayer HH game w/ just one system! And when docked in TV mode, you don't think that games will support at least 4 players?! The controllers obviously transmit data via bluetooth or something.

Yep. This is the big selling point to me as a father of numerous kids. No more "Hey, want to play local multiplayer Monster Hunter? Better buy 4 copies of the game!"
psyfi said:
What if this thing doesn't have analog sticks, but something more akin to trackballs or the Steam Controller trackpad things?

I just threw up in my mouth.

We'll have to see the price point, ergonomics, specs, and more of the features to see if they can pull it off. But in theory, at least, this is a good move IMO. Nintendo playing to their strengths and solving software bottlenecks by merging handheld and console games in one sleek package. I'm thinking the detachable controllers will be part of the ergonomics; eg when you detach them, the slots that held them before becomes handgrips. And the console could have a built in stand so two players can play multiplayer with the detachable controllers. As for the power vs other consoles, I don't feel that it held back Wii U the way the power gap hurt the Wii. Great art design and performance bridges the power gap, for me at least.

To really knock this out of the park, though, this system needs to be upgradable (eg more power if you buy a better docking station?) and should be wi/fi enabled with messaging apps.

Maybe it is, but everyone know the nx rumor started with hybrid.

Smartphone tablet are already doing that without docking/base station, so why we need that?

Also Nintendo is afraid they would be copied if they released the idea already.

What do they mean by that? ps4 -> psvita can share games using wifi.

I have nothing to back this up, but I'm of the belief that this "leaked" idea could tie into smartphones/tablets. If the "handheld" has a detachable controller, wouldn't the "system" part of that basically just be tablet with an OS? In that regard, who says they can't make the NX "OS" an app that you can download on select Android/iOS devices? This would allow them to sell a package of just the controller/base station to people who already have a smart device.

In relation to your last comment, I think your example is selling this tech a little short. If the NX really is what they're rumoring here, it would be more akin to the PSVita basically being a portable PS4. You can absolutely stream PS4 games to the Vita, but you aren't taking them on the go.

AntMurda

Here's what you're looking at:
- Nintendo's 1st party support for 3DS
- Nintendo's 1st party support for Wii U
- Nintendo's 3rd party Japanese support for 3DS
- Some 3rd party Vita games that are now homeless
- Wii U's 3rd party support (Just Dance, Lego, etc)
- Whatever other publishers want to hop on board
- Indie games
- Virtual Console
- Maybe Android apps/games?
- GeForce Now game streaming

That's potentially the best software lineup of any of the systems.

The library isn't what is freaking people out though, is the nature of the system and controller. I mean the Wii had a great library but the controller and system pushed a lot of people from enjoying it.

LCGeek

formerly sane
So I wake up this morning to this, been working and doing chores mostly just can't ignore now...........

First malo gets some credit for being accurate. With that being said no I'm not backing down on cpu comments as I was talking about power performance not what chipset it's using. What should be mentioned is that the nvidia rumor in may were far more accurate than what we are hearing about amd's supposed involvement. AMD rumors are not mine and have never been mine, I'm still skeptical and even more skeptical about sku considering it seems to be a mishmash of exotic parts which I called out in private messages to two other gaffers.

I'm still waiting for some to explain the porting rumors cause while it's clear to me some of the tech in the device is no slouch its paper specs can't make a full claim it's better than X1, performance is another matter depending on what nintendo is actually using. Seems nintendo is vastly upgrading their networking tech and I won't name certain gaffer names but whoever was talking about the streaming tech being a big feature they are more accurate than anyone else I've seen in general talking about this system. Powerwise until nintendo puts a damn retail unit out and we can examine I don't care to talk about it that much except to say it will be definitely not be a power monster and far more efficient/feature rich console, which even for nintendo is a stepup for WiiU.

If people want to step on me just go back to certain threads most was hypothetical talk I never moved off my own goal posts or my own actual ideas I just commented on the clear crap that has yet to pan out. For one side of the debate, you may want to investigate if nintendo is doing multiple skus at this point it's either that or they literally just decided what they are going with, which is a danger I warned about.. Emily has been semi accurate on some parts and dead wrong on others, but I do wish to know what the port talk was about if the performance isn't gonna be there. Cause that alone is just straight talking out the ass as we still don't know what devs and what games those comments were being based on.

What if this thing doesn't have analog sticks, but something more akin to trackballs or the Steam Controller trackpad things?

Those could be more conducive to portability.

1469510183638.jpg

purdobol

I REPEAT, CARTRIDGE = NAND FLASH STORAGE AND IS CHEAP TO PRODUCE IN TODAY'S WORLD. IT'S 2016, NOT 1990

I'm repeating myself to but what the hell.
This is true for USA an Japan maybe. Other regions will take the hit (with exception of France,Germany and UK I suppose).

The difference between 0.50$ and 5-6$ is substantial enough to hurt already wacky distribution in many regions. Which means two things. Either games will be harder to buy due to shortages or the prices will be inflated. It's a legitimate concern for many gaffers, me included.

ZOONAMI

I don't know man, the detachable controllers give it away to me that there won't be anything else after this.

But who knows

See my last post. The wii u is dead and this is sort of a stop gap until their next home console is ready, and its a cool feature to have a tv ready handheld experience should you want to.

orioto

Good Art™
It will have the library of 3DS and WiiU combined so I expect it will sell a little bit lower than those two combined, which is not bad at all.

Why lower ?

What people don't realize is that if you compare it to the 3ds, it will be a wayyy more capable machine. I mean the simple fact that it could host the new Zelda makes it 2 generation away from the 3DS. That plus the fact that people not liking portable gaming will be able to play it on their tv, potentially with a pad.

Now compare it to the WIiU. it will have 10 times the library with millions sellers the WiiU could never had.

Such a device would actually be, independently, more seducing for people in each of the category.

StereoVsn

If we're talking about a ~5" screen, would 1080p be nice to have? Sure.

Would it be worth the additional cost and power consumption over a 720p screen? Probably not.
Considering that $100 - $150 cell phones have 1080p now days I doubt there are significant cost consideration. What they need is ssomethinf that can scale down well to 720p for gaming but a 1080p in say 5.5" - 6" handheld screen should be a requirement in the 2017 when this releases.

I would bet this runs some bastard version of android so you will see decent amount of apps and should have an alright web browser.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
As a player, I like that they're unifying the portable and console worlds. I usually prefer to play at home, but it means I often neglect handheld games. It'll also help focus the attention of the Nintendo fanbase on one machine.

It's also wild to think that the linage of the NES and the lineage of the Game Boy have now fused.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Exactly! This just means that the system will be in between a Vita and a PS4(yeah i know huge gap) and devs only need to focus on a single platform.

No....but, wait. Weren't XB1 base DDR3 speeds like 68/GBs or something like that? That's pretty close to 80gbs, i was just kinda rounding up...but your saying the bandwidth would only get to around 360 or PS3 level with this thing?

You realize we are talking like 5 watts for a passively cooled handheld these days right?

I feel like this thread is a bunch of console people that haven't ever looked into the mobile world that deeply lol

deadlast

What if we the portal system is clam shell and the bottom detaches to become the controller? Like a cross between the nvidia shield handheld and the 3ds xl.

This is true for USA an Japan maybe. Other regions will take the hit (with exception of France,Germany and UK I suppose).

The difference between 0.50$ and 5-6$ is substantial enough to hurt already wacky distribution in many regions. Which means two things. Either games will be harder to buy due to shortages or the prices will be inflated. It's a legitimate concern for many gaffers, me included.

Do 3ds games cost more than Wii U games in your region?!

Take my money Nintendo! If you think about Nintendo's own production between handheld and console they will have a ton of games coming for this thing.

So HYPE.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I'm sorry to burst some bubbles, but I want to remind you all that Wii U, PS4, and Xbone all had much more powerful devkits than the final version. It's possible that the same is happening here and that they final chip will be a cut-down TX1 with only one SMM.

Neoxon

As mentioned in my wall-of-text earlier in the thread, how would this work for competitive Smash players? Will there be USB plugs on the console dock to where you can plug in your GameCube Adapters? Will there at least be a means to use a regular wired controller on this?

I'm sorry to burst some bubbles, but I want to remind you all that Wii U, PS4, and Xbone all had much more powerful devkits than the final version. It's possible that the same is happening here and that they final chip will be a cut-down TX1 with only one SP.

Duuuuuude dont so this to us

openrob

because there's a LOT more use for capacitive in gaming contexts than there are for resistive.

Uses that people are used to all around the world by now.

Simple things, like zooming by pinching, or using two fingers to scroll. And not having to clutter up the screen space with a billion little icons to achieve those same exact things.

How do you rotate an object on a Wii U pad? You press the little button that rotates objects...

Yh I know that Capacative is amazing for a phone or tablet, but for gaming I am not sure it adds so much. Remember that this is talking about a games console with sticks and buttons

Lmo911

So any chance the dock for this thing has its own gpu to help in TV mode? Im liking the concept but will it be that much better than wiiu if it's a handheld?

Aters

The library isn't what is freaking people out though, is the nature of the system and controller. I mean the Wii had a great library but the controller and system pushed a lot of people from enjoying it.

If Wii had a good library I'd have bought one. No the potential lineup for NX is far beyond what Wii had to offer.

Guevara

If this news is true, it basically signals a retreat of Nintendo from the home console business.

That's huge news. Huge.

Yeah I'm honestly shocked more people aren't interpreting it as such.

Nintendo is basically declining to continue their home console business. It's almost as big as when Sega exited hardware.

Soulstar

The more news that I hear about the NX the more I look forward to seeing what it is when they actually reveal it.

I really love the idea of what we are hearing and if it is executed well then I can see myself really liking this system. Hopefully there really is a reveal in September.

StereoVsn

32gb card at the quantities Nintendo would command should run $3-$4 in 2017. This doesn't need fast write speed so something of a say Class 6 card would suffice.

Millions of people played multi title at lower rez on XBO right ? A handled that is half XBO at 540p and around XBO on a tv would basically do the same. So the power wouldn't be an excuse to not port those games.

I would personally argue that Nintendo could find a dynamic if they offer something that lets devs downgrade realllly easily, withuot the need of a real budget, their AAA games to the portable, cause that would be a new market.

If Ubi could sell their Assassins Creed to kids via a portable, without having to spend too much money, no reason they wouldn't do.

But that's wishful thinking here.

That'd be nice, but I doubt Nintendo will make it that easy to develop for. We don't have any idea how much RAM Nintendo will be using.

Also, Syndicate was rated M, so I doubt Ubisoft is targeting kids for the AC series.

Ryoku

Make it a Gamestream-enabled device and you've got yourself quite a capable system.
Streaming PC games to a low-latency system that's hooked up to your TV? All while that same system can play all of your Nintendo games? Yes, please.

I do want, however, for the console itself to be powerful enough. Just enough. As I mentioned before, hopefully the dock serves as the "supplemental computing device" we've seen in the patents.

Why are they using cartridges???? I can't understand this and not discs

Lower latency = less loading time, fewer loading screens. Cartridges are more expensive, but I have not read on how that cost would be addressed. For a handheld, you don't really have other options anyways. I mean, do you want UMDs?

KDR_11k

Good. I'm glad it's not the rumored weaker handheld with a higher powered core that you connect it to at home, that would still split the library between good on the go and home-only or double the workload for each game.

Also glad they're finally ditching the GC architecture, it had its day but maintaining backwards compatibility by making each new chip generation just an incremental upgrade over the last hampered the ability of later systems.

Since I play a lot of games on the go I was definitely hoping for this to be a good portable.

Discs don't work (well) in a portable.

Really not a fan of dropping BC. I was holding off on picking up a Wii U because I was certain whatever successor it had would be BC but now Nintendo is looking at missing two sales from me :/

This is like passing on a PS4 because it won't play PS3 games. This seems incredibly short sighted.

What about the Pokémon/Animal Crossing/Monster Hunter audience?

No, he is right. Lol, Pokemon, AC or MH audience...what do you want to sell? 8 Million co soles in 5 years?
I just can't see anybody wanting that thing. Now that i read a loz of the comments here it still isn't clear what the benefit of this console would be. A powerful handheld is still a underpowered home console and that will piss of a lot of people.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

No disc drive means much more space for hardware/cooling in a portable. Also, cartridges are nowhere near as expensive as they were 15 years ago.
EatinOlives said:
Nintendo's recommending 32gb cartridges?

Agreed. I don't understand this. At least they aren't requiring it.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I really think its a winner.
Everyone is talking about the new Zelda.
Pokemon is on a high.
It'll have all the million sellers on one console.
Its a brand new concept.

I don't think the average joe is gonna care about specs or flops or what have you. They'll just want the Nintendo Experience. They'll want to try out something cool and unique. New technology always gets people talking, and the big N are making a comeback as of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom