• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore ReView thread

renzollo

Banned
Akp8DMK.png

Then prepare to be blown away by 'The Last Guardian', if it's ever released.

ethomaz

Banned
Ryse is a solid game though. The story gets weird but the gameplay is good outside of a few boss fights. I haven't played QB but I agree that it can be considered disappointing (at least the response to it).

Imo Ryse is actually underrated.
Ryse gameplay is average and repetitive with too much QTEs... the presentation is good.

CryTek has something with gameplay that they can't deliver good things in this point.

Considering the complete lack of fanfare for Monster's next game, which is releasing tomorrow, I don't think I can share that opinion.

They signed a long-term deal with the company that's publishing their NASCAR game.

Yeah, I just searched and saw the thread from May. I had no idea. Wasn't smart of Nintendo to turn them into a port machine. I was hoping after DKCR3D Nintendo would have let them make an original DKC 3DS.

Rodelero

People are continually stated that the reviews for the game are 'average'. This is not true - it is significantly below average. Opencritic has a nice visualiser, but it also states it plainly:

ReCore is in the bottom 19.3% of games scored on OpenCritic

If you trust reviews (you shouldn't do this!) then this game is substantially below average because the vast, vast majority of games are better than it.

Then prepare to be blown away by 'The Last Guardian', if it's ever released.

Please. Ueda games are ahead of their time, not behind.

The rest of the gaming community is finally coming around to providing "gaming experiences."

But Ueda already perfected it more then a decade ago.

Lime

Not sure why anyone would waste 40 bucks or their limited mortal time on this planet on this game.

There's tons of other games more deserving of your time and money that's been released throughout the last 30 years that you probably have never played. Go over to GOG.com or look through the Xbox store if you don't know what to do.

Ridley327

Yeah, I just searched and saw the thread from May. I had no idea. Wasn't smart of Nintendo to turn them into a port machine. I was hoping after DKCR3D Nintendo would have let them make an original DKC 3DS.

I get the feeling that Nintendo wasn't terribly interested in putting more money into Monster, and from what can be read between the lines, Monster was looking to expand their capabilities past the tiny, tiny team they've been for over a decade. If Nintendo wasn't looking to put a ring on it, it was time to find another suitor.

I just have my doubts that a company that's not even a two years old yet and exists primarily to hold onto the NASCAR gaming license is where Monster will be able to recapture the Excite Truck magic everyone has been wanting from them.

It's basically about the same score as the only other original game Armature made which is Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate.

People constantly overhyped this game being by the Metroid Prime developers but I don't feel like that was ever really true. It was by a few of the Metroid Prime developers who formed Armature.

MS was the one who led in the reveal of ReCore with the line "From the makers of Metroid Prime"

Granted, nobody will want to start off the reveal of a game with "From the makers of AKO Blackgate"

EmiPrime

At this point, Rare is looking like the best of any of the former big Nintendo partners. Both Factor 5 and Silicon Knights quickly became grossly mismanaged shambles, Left Field Productions never did anything even a quarter as high profile, and that one studio made up of former Pikmin team members disappeared off the face of the planet after Army Corps from Hell. Who knows how big a bullet Sakurai was able to dodge when he came back to the fold.

I'm already wary of how Monster Games is going to turn out, and all Nintendo really had for them by the end of their partnership was ports.

Damning with faint praise!

Considering how people were kicking and screaming since that CGI trailer that this was the real Retro working on a proper Metroid Prime spiritual sequel, despite every single gameplay trailer showing that the game was obviously bad, i'm not sure that lesson will ever be learned.

Yeah maybe the penny will never drop, not for gamers and not for certain developers who start to believe their own hype when their successes were dependant on Nintendo's guiding hand.

TriAceJP

It's $40, right? I'll still take the chance on it.

I typically go against the grain with my game tastes anyways.

Not sure why anyone would waste 40 bucks or their limited mortal time on this planet on this game.

There's tons of other games more deserving of your time and money that's been released throughout the last 30 years that you probably have never played. Go over to GOG.com or look through the Xbox store if you don't know what to do.

Didn't you buy Remember Me?

This game always felt rushed to me. I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but it looks like it wasn't meant to be.

I'll pick it up for $10 during the inevitable 75% off deal that will be run during a sale next summer.

People are continually stated that the reviews for the game are 'average'. This is not true - it is significantly below average. Opencritic has a nice visualiser, but it also states it plainly:

If you trust reviews (you shouldn't do this!) then this game is substantially below average because the vast, vast majority of games are better than it.

I think what that says more than anything, is that on average, games are really good these days. It seems like the average game scores north of 71, which is a very positive thing for gamers. A game scoring a notch below 71 isn't great, but it quality-wise, it doesn't necessarily mean bad either.

What that says for Recore, I'm curious to find out. It seems like technical issues are a big source of the negative feedback, I might still bite for the PC version. Hopefully many of the visual issues are improved on a nice rig there.

Why would you say this? Lol

I think he's trying to suggest that Last Guardian feels like a PS2 game at it's core. I think it will be incredibly interesting to see how it turned out. Team Ico never release a PS3 game, and as developers transitioned from PS2 to PS3 last-gen there were many games that didn't quite shed that past-gen feeling until the teams released more games and matured.

Gameplay-wise, I could see it feeling reminiscent of Shadow of the Collosus in many ways, but I can't imagine it isn't conceptually a PS3 game. It will be an incredibly interesting game to try out.

Visually, I think the game looks pretty, even if it doesn't quite look like a top-tier PS4 game, it definitely looks like it would have been a remarkable PS3 title. Hopefully they've had time to push the visuals even more.

I think he's trying to suggest that Last Guardian feels like a PS2 game at it's core. I think it will be incredibly interesting to see how it turned out. Team Ico never release a PS3 game, and as developers transitioned from PS2 to PS3 last-gen there were many games that didn't quite shed that past-gen feeling until the teams released more games and matured.

Gameplay-wise, I could see it feeling reminiscent of Shadow of the Collosus in many ways, but I can't imagine it isn't conceptually a PS3 game. It will be an incredibly interesting game to try out.

Visually, I think the game looks pretty, even if it doesn't quite look like a top-tier PS4 game, it definitely looks like it would have been a remarkable PS3 title. Hopefully they've had time to push the visuals even more.

Oh, they've had time. Nothing BUT time.

Inafune is fast crystallising the notion that his contributions to the great, high-quality Capcom IPs of old that he built his name on, we're in-fact, entirely irrelevant..

Such that, there's increasing weight added to the argument that maybe these titles were in-fact made great despite his efforts, not because of them..

He really needs to stop shipping steaming turds..

Lime

Didn't you buy Remember Me?

Not a whole lot of games with non-white women as protagonists to choose from. I'd also argue that Remember Me looked much more impressive than this Early Access game, and also with less bugs and a more impressive cinematic presentation.

Maxim726X

Yeah, them's the facts. Mid 60's is most certainly not average when it comes to video games.

I think what that says more than anything, is that on average, games are really good these days. It seems like the average game scores north of 71, which is a very positive thing for gamers. A game scoring a notch below 71 isn't great, but it quality-wise, it doesn't necessarily mean bad either.

What that says for Recore, I'm curious to find out. It seems like technical issues are a big source of the negative feedback, I might still bite for the PC version. Hopefully many of the visual issues are improved on a nice rig there.

Well, no. Not really. Average games... Are average. That's what the definition of average is.

Good games are above the average, if we're speaking strictly about review scores. I see a lot of mental gymnastics here to excuse the middling scores, but it's not as if we don't have the means to calculate the average score of a video game here.

Cranster

Banned
I have to admit I had some hopes for this game not only as it looked like a cool concept but also because of Joseph Staten's involvement. I'm kind of glad I didn't pre-order the game, but I plan on keeping an eye on it post-launch and hopefully they improve it from there.

The critical reviews are not great, but word is still out on the user response.

This game will be a hard sell in such a crowded period for game releases, but I think some gamers will like ReCore if they give it a chance. A game can still be enjoyable despite having a few flaws.

Shin-chan

I think "Joseph Statens involvement" is going to go right up there with "produced by Keiji Inafune" as one of those meaningless impactless things attached to MS games that has no bearing on their quality.

The man can't be everywhere at once. And if he is, his inputs going to be fairly insignificant.

Bsigg12

The critical reviews are not great, but word is still out on the user response.

This game will be a hard sell in such a crowded period for game releases, but I think some gamers will like ReCore if they give it a chance. A game can still be enjoyable despite having a few flaws.

Given that it'll likely be $20 in two months to go with holiday sales, it might do ok regardless.

_machine

Which honestly, to me at least, is not that surprising when you try to make a game for modern platforms with budgets reminiscent of PS2-era. Not saying it's everything nor necessarily explains this particular case, but games like these are extremely expensive to make and when you try to make do with a small budget, you still end up being compared to the market average production values, which even the most seasoned veterans and effective pipelines will always have uphill battle.

Inafune is fast crystallising the notion that his contributions to the great, high-quality Capcom IPs of old that he built his name on, we're in-fact, entirely irrelevant..

Such that, there's increasing weight added to the argument that maybe these titles were in-fact made great despite his efforts, not because of them..

He really needs to stop shipping steaming turds..

If there's one thing Inafune did do at Capcom, he got games greenlit.

Hexer06

I don't care what the reviews say, still looks like a game I will enjoy. Ryse was completely shit on at launch, but is still one of my fav games this gen.

64 on Metacritic is pretty much an average game, just not one Xbox fanboys can gloat about.

Still looking to playing it.

Well, Metacritic lists 559 XBOX One games right now, the average score is 70 resp. 72 (median). The fist quartile of those games ends at 63, or in other words: only 25% of XBOX One games score lower than 64 on metacritic. So, long story short, ReCore is a significantly below average rated game.

RedSwirl

Damn. And that preview thread was glowing.

When I saw the original debut trailer I knew ReCore was very much going to have a PS2 feel to it -- reminiscent of the action games Capcom made back then. It seems like the game captures that era in all the best and worst ways. Main problem seems to be the pacing, not jank.

Definitely waiting to see if it ends up elsewhere on PC now.

rhandino

Banned
I am surprised that the game from the creators of Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate at that price ended up being bad.

Shocked!

Top Bottom