• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OBAMASWEAT.bmp

thumper

Skenzin

Banned
Glad so many are enjoying PSVR, rift user here. The first few weekends are the best. Definitely one of the major gaming experiences in my life. As a life long gamer I feel presence most of the time.

Kalentan

I only got about 10 min into it before I had to leave my house, but I liked what I played. You stand for it, have 360 degrees of viewpoint and can be attacked from any angle. You have a knife, flashlight and gun to start. You hit O on the flashlight hand to do a quick 180 so you dont have to turn around in real life. Aiming was a little weird, I felt like I was missing when I was lined up, but that could be just the starter gun. You have a load out screen between waves to switch gear, mods, grenades, etc. I am hoping to get some more time with it, but so far I thought it was fun.

Edit: I think I had this confused with a similar zombi game (Into the Dead). Brookhaven is also on Vive (not GearVR), and seems to get decent user reviews.

I know it has a survival mode and it uses the move... Repability seems like it would be nice.

kairu

I really wish there was a full game based on the playroom platforming level. Holy shit that was amazing. They have to know they have a hit there they just couldn't finish it in time right?

I was really surprised by this too! Especially when you like go through vines and rocks and stuff. Really cool.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I thought it felt like Knack 2. It's just that going through the cave was like ahhh get the vines off me

Mossybrew

I finally tried The Wayward Sky demo and immediately had to buy it. Hope it's good

Post your thoughts, really tempted to buy it myself. Either that or Rush of Blood, considering the Halloween season I'll probably go with that for now.

Just in time, my preorder of the new South Park game was refunded since the release date was moved into next year - used those funds to buy Rigs - actually having a great time with the full game. Might be I'm adjusting more to VR, played Rigs for a couple hours this afternoon with absolutely no discomfort. Took a few minute breather every half hour or so, that might help. Anyway hope the price drops on this one soon so more people will buy in, it's a ton of fun.

atomsk

Party Pooper
finally had time to sit down and play about 30 minutes of Driveclub VR (playing with a T150 wheel)

there was a tiny bit of drift, but only when I was standing and looking at the cars, in the races I didn't notice it at all.

my stomach is fine, but I do feel like I just got done sitting in a movie theatre for 3 hours... that will take some getting used to.

It would be hilariously ironic if this really ended up being Knack 2.

The demo is pretty much Knack 2 already. They should rip Mario Galaxy of for it though, the interface has a slight Mario Galaxy vibe already but platforming that good in VR would be ridiculously good.

King_Moc

Banned
It would be hilariously ironic if this really ended up being Knack 2.

It's not hugely different to Knack, it just has less irritating combat and a nice puzzle element in finding the robots. The VR quite literally adds a whole new dimension though.

I wish Nintendo were offering a VR solution. Mario 3D World would be amazing on this thing.

Shoeless

The demo is pretty much Knack 2 already. They should rip Mario Galaxy of for it though, the interface has a slight Mario Galaxy vibe already but platforming that good in VR would be ridiculously good.

Yeah, but with giant Knack mode, you could stomp through the city VR-Godzilla style. That could be fun.

Also, I just want to see the GAF-meltdowns when the Knack Faithful have their faith miraculously rewarded, and the critics have to give the franchise a second look. Both positive and negative meltdowns would be hilarious. Also fantastic GIF fuel.

Slixshot

Banned
Yep. Finished Scavenger's Odyssey last night. Absolutely blew me away. I would absolutely love a full length title, maybe with multiplayer. Dare I dream of a Mechwarrior game for this?

I'm wondering if this is anything like how Rigs plays. If so, I'm going to buy it tomorrow.

Carl

Post your thoughts, really tempted to buy it myself. Either that or Rush of Blood, considering the Halloween season I'll probably go with that for now.

Only played for half an hour or so (my eyes are wrecked after a 3 hour session of RIGS), but i really enjoyed what i played so far. Puzzles are rather simple but it's really charming.

King_Moc

Banned
I'm wondering if this is anything like how Rigs plays. If so, I'm going to buy it tomorrow.

Rigs is a little similar, but you have more freedom of movement as you can just jump normally with one button press.

Also, Rigs left me feeling fine, Scavenger's Odyssey left me needing to lie down for a bit. The only VR game that's done that to me.

King_Moc

Banned
My wife got me this and Batman as a surprise anniversary present. What other games are worth checking out?

The Playroom is a free download, make sure to try the platformer on it, Robot Rescue I think it's called? There's a few other free bits as well as the demo disc, so you can look for games there.

Rez, Rigs and Thumper look be the best reviewed titles.

KillGore

Just played the PlayRoom VR platformer. WOW! that is some great platforming. Jesus. I wish Sony would make a full game out of this.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Holy shit, Scavenger Odyssey!

I understand how it could make some people sick, but if you can stomach it, it's one of the best VR experiences available. The environments are insane, and wow those giant bug encounters were intense! I was hopping up walls, shooting from the ceiling, flinging explosives mid-air. It was incredible.

My Best Buy still had plenty of the standard headset units and accessories lying around, came close to buying one against my better judgment, but will ultimately wait until I pick up my PS4 Pro. If they're in stock at the local Best Buy or GameStop when I go to pick up my Pro pre-order, I may just pick it up same-day.

Hope it's still selling pretty well so that it's garnering a little more early support. I have very minimal experience with VR but I still have high hopes for its potential in the future.

III-V

Good to hear. I had no trouble sitting the first night pointed at my projector. Last night I played some standing games so I turned the projector off because I thought I'd lose tracking. I want to be able to keep it on when I start showing friends this thing.
What is your set up while playing? I had to lug a chair in and reset the whole thing up each time. Kind of blows.

I'm looking for the cheapest headphones (not earplugs) that I can use with this thing. I'll get some better ones in 2017. Can anyone help?

sorry for the delayed response, but yes, I had to drag a chair out. I am certain I can figure out a better solution long term, but thats all i have got for now.

I would also like to know about any headphones that work, as my golds do not fit at all with the headset.

Just played The London Heist and I'm almost embarrassed in how much delight I took in picking up all the objects and throwing them around the room like a petulant child.

Wollan

Been playing a lot of PSVR since Thursday launch. Very pleased with it all. Stuck at an airport so I will write out some impressions:

Some thoughts on the hardware:
I was surprised to realize that the crown is basically just an advanced headband and that the wheel just spools the rubber up further. It's great and it works. Out of all the headsets, including GearVR, I had the (initial) trickiest time figuring out how to get a clear image. After the first day of use however I now know the position by heart and place it straight on in five seconds. That being the crown almost touching my neck and forehead-cushion resting high-up. The built-in software IPD adjustment utilizing stereo camera images for pinpointing pupils was well done. Everyone should copy the PSVR crown design and similarly I think everyone should copy Oculus Rift in having built in headphones. Extra wires for audio suck and similarly I don't like the provided earplugs that goes into the ear-canals. Currently I'm using my iPhone earpods. Out of all the VR headsets the PSVR has the least (practically non-existant) SDE which is really nice.
It's also very nice to have all controllers be 3D compatible with no exceptions (*stares at Oculus*). Dualshock 4 opens up hybrid traditional + 3D gameplay as seen in the Playroom VR platformer demo which is not available on Rift/Vive. However the preciseness varies between titles as some smooth out the tracking information making them feel great (Tumbler, Playroom) while others (Batman) do not but hopefully devs will learn fast. Thankfully the headset itself does not suffer despite being based on the same tech (VR wouldn't work if it did) likely due to multiple reference lights.
As an owner of all the VR headsets I will say that the PSVR is the perfect starting point. All of them are messy with wires and specific issues and amazement and it's all very 1st generation. PSVR gives great bang for bucks, plug-and-play and the launch lineup is Really Good.

My favorite game:

Battlezone
Pros:
+ Immediacy: No loading, no downtime, logos etc. Raw gameplay is just a couple of clicks and seconds away. You're always in the tank, even in the main menu. This will keep you coming back between other VR experiences (for which should help justify its pricetag and why it's probably best to buy this digitally?).
+ Gameplay is simple, bright and fun. Impacts and action has weight and feels satisfying. Action-filled without giving you a heavy head.
+ There's heaps of customization with weapons, specials, tank-upgrades etc. You sell and you buy.
+ 4-player drop-in-out Co-op is fast and easy to use. The game is a rogue-like meaning that your randomly generated world-map and all-progress is completely lost if your team wipes which makes it really fun. Game is challenging even on Easy.
+ There's a cool meta-game in traversing the randomized hex world-map as the enemy A.I forces keep leveling up alongside you. Everytime their level-bar reaches its end they drop an elite-tank that will seek you out. You can weaken the final encounter by taking down strategic points, you can take longer routes to 'grind' but also knowing the enemy is getting stronger.
Cons:
- SP/Co-op battling the randomized campaign map is the only mode.
- Could need some stronger AA like a handful of other PSVR games.

Battlezone is a cool Tron-ified rogue-like and the closest thing to a dungeon-crawler currently on PSVR. It's immediate and it focuses on fun straight-forward action gameplay.

I took some photos of the upgrade aspects:

Quickly what I think of some other games I bought:

Batman Arkham VR: Must-get. Rocksteady has demonstrated that they really understand VR and its current strengths and weaknesses. The duration of this game was one of my most fun VR experiences.

Kitchen: This was the most intense horror experience of my life (in entertainment). When this was talked about in 2015 the word was that it was technically subpar but outside of lacking AA I thought this was (today) a very, very strong VR demo. No way in hell though I would play a full-game like this. My pulse was 220 for five minutes there.

REZ: Must-get. It's lovely to come from the Beautiful Dreamcast levels and then enter Area X (powered by Unreal Engine 4) which is totally next-gen with heaps of particle and (likely pre-calculated) fluid effects.

Thumper: Must-get. Too hard probably but it's SO well directed I'm happy enjoying the main menu and the first few levels.

RIGS: The most beautiful PSVR game and it's impressive how fast & vertical it is without making me feel nauseous though I have had a bit of a heavy head which has made me focus on other VR experiences. I was in love with the concept of this game prior but ultimately (past the honeymoon) it comes down to how much you enjoy arena-shooters in a way and it might not hook me that much. It's also not as immediate as it should be imo. But it's so very finely crafted, clearly with lots of love and a big budget, and the controls are great.

Tumble VR: Yeah. I just bought it on a whim. It totally delivers what you expect. The Move implementation is super-smooth (no jittering). Personally I should have just played the demo though as it's not really the type of game I'm into but that's my fault as the game delivers exactly what you suspect in good fashion.

Headmaster: Must-get. The humor is spot-on and practically Portal in nature. It's also really fun to play and pretty to look at with good AA and native 90 fps. Like Battlezone I believe this is a game you will come back to and solve a handful of narrated challenges in-between other VR experiences.

Playroom VR platformer: This was a really fun segment. Controls and visuals were great and it was full of character. Luckey's Tale (one of my favorite VR games) has much better camera however as the one in Playroom just zips-full speed straight forward (which might make some feel bad) while Luckey's camera follows the player smoothly in a cinematic way that also happens to be more back-tracking friendly. Something that was Really cool with Playroom VR was how it used the Dualshock 4's 3D capability to add an extra-layer ontop of traditional stick controls (i.e the DS4 being the end of line-dancing-rope while you are steering the robot on top with the analogue). Playroom VR is obviously a no-brainer seeing as it is free. Otherwise it would depend on if you are playing with friends or not (only one platform level as solo-player content). Very polished production.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
How about a Mario Kart style game in PSVR? How would a behind the kart view be?
It would be like it normally is but you can look around
Like Driveclub in the outside view

Man, I guess my face is more oily than I ever knew. There's a spot on the foam piece that sits on my forehead, and the lenses just had a bit up towards the top that was causing slight blurriness when I looked up there. Easy enough to wipe away, but I'm worried about long-term buildup.

I was already hesitant to let others try this out after my girlfriend left mascara on it, but I don't think I even want to use it without wearing a ski mask or something now
well, something that wouldn't cause me to sweat anyway

Fusebox

Banned
Man, I guess my face is more oily than I ever knew. There's a spot on the foam piece that sits on my forehead, and the lenses just had a bit up towards the top that was causing slight blurriness when I looked up there. Easy enough to wipe away, but I'm worried about longn-terms buildup.

I was already hesitant to let others try this out after my girlfriend left mascara on it, but I don't think I even want to use it without wearing a ski mask or something now

Yeah I didn't realise when I was lifting up to quickly peek around and find a controller, drink etc that I was basically resting the lenses on my greasy forehead. I try and lift out and up a bit more now when I'm taking it off or peaking out from under it.

LiK

Man, I guess my face is more oily than I ever knew. There's a spot on the foam piece that sits on my forehead, and the lenses just had a bit up towards the top that was causing slight blurriness when I looked up there. Easy enough to wipe away, but I'm worried about longn-terms buildup.

I wipe my face before using it just in case. Def need to ask guests to do the same to avoid the dank in the headset.

Did anyone have impressions of 100 Ft Robot Golf? It never gets mentioned at all it seems. I was just curious how it was in VR of course.

I am also really interested in impressions of VEV Viva Ex Vivo VR. I know Modus gave out at least 10 codes, but I only saw one person share impressions. I would love to hear more about that, with it being a free roaming title in VR.

Wallach

Thanks for reminding me I forgot to buy Battlezone, Wollan. Going to go correct that now before the PSVR gets here tomorrow.

lt519

Yea, I wonder what's causing it. Calibration does nothing.

I found that when I start seeing it happen I can over compensate right and then hold options and it recenters. If you let it go to far you may not get it back.

You don't have restart the game at least. settings -> devices -> ps camera adjustment and retake the three pictures and the game will recenter without having to exit or reboot.

Haven't solved the root cause though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom