• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezalc

Are there any significant differences between the ps4 and ps3 versions? I don't have a ps4 and was looking to play this game since it looks really great. I've only played part of P3P.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any significant differences between the ps4 and ps3 versions? I don't have a ps4 and was looking to play this game since it looks really great. I've only played part of P3P.

From what I've heard negligible differences, like slightly(really only slightly) higher loadtimes in some cases and 720p instead of 1080p. Both run at 30fps afaik. Really just go for the version you can play.

GSR

Aaaaaand all (non-story) co-ops maxed on 12/5, first playthrough. I feel more accomplished about this than I probably should.

Guess I'll spend the rest of the game's free time achievement hunting, lol

EDIT: This palace's gameplay gimmick is straight garbo lmao

I swear Mijima has disappeared from my game. I opted out of one invitation and he's disappeared from Shinjuku since. I read that he also appears in central Shibuya, but no luck.

Edit: Nevermind, finally found him in Akihabara.

MSMrRound

For Ryuuji's co-op I'm kinda stuck at a part...rank 6->7

Ryuuji's ready for a rank up, but it's kinda grayed out at the moment cuz I don't think I unlocked the requirements yet...I think I read somewhere it's supposed to be activated by end of June, but I don't think I got a phone call from him to look for this friend of Ryuuji's...is there some place I'm supposed to go by myself at the start or something?

October the 15th or 16th:

I wasn't expecting the target
to die and I'm now in the aftermath of the situation. I knew they were going to do something about the phantom thieves , though.

I'm struggling to manage my time in the game: I've unlocked tons of social links, spending time with some of them give points for my status but right now I'm lacking strength and other than going to the clinic or doing the challenge at Big Bang Burger I don't get enough points. Is there a more effective way to gain strength? There are a lot of activities and businesses I haven't tried because I prefer to spend my time with my S links.

Time management in these games can be a little bit stressful.

For Ryuuji's co-op I'm kinda stuck at a part...rank 6->7

Ryuuji's ready for a rank up, but it's kinda grayed out at the moment cuz I don't think I unlocked the requirements yet...I think I read somewhere it's supposed to be activated by end of June, but I don't think I got a phone call from him to look for this friend of Ryuuji's...is there some place I'm supposed to go by myself at the start or something?

You'll receive an invitation by phone from him , There are no stats requirements for Ryuji lock , it's just a time lock that lift up sometimes during sundays or holidays

Ken

October the 15th or 16th:

I wasn't expecting the target
to die and I'm now in the aftermath of the situation. I knew they were going to do something about the phantom thieves , though.

I'm struggling to manage my time in the game: I've unlocked tons of social links, spending time with some of them give points for my status but right now I'm lacking strength and other than going to the clinic or doing the challenge at Big Bang Burger I don't get enough points. Is there a more effective way to gain strength? There are a lot of activities and businesses I haven't tried because I prefer to spend my time with my S links.

i think big bang is the best way for courage/strength

GSR

Try renting DVDs, playing games, or reading books (the last will take multiple sessions before you get the bonus.) Also pay Chihaya to boost the gain rate for whatever stat you're trying to boost that day.

FWIW courage/strength was the last stat I maxed.

I swear Mijima has disappeared from my game. I opted out of one invitation and he's disappeared from Shinjuku since. I read that he also appears in central Shibuya, but no luck.

Edit: Nevermind, finally found him in Akihabara.
I love how in Akihabara you can
clearly tell that the NPCs walking around are otaku.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Question : does anybody know the title of the track used in the PV03 or even if it is available on the soundtrack ? Thanks !

At the moment, it's just been referred to as "イベント お宝ゲット&逃げろ".
Atlus uploaded a video with a 1 hour loop of it with no SFX over it last year, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbZUvWs-XyE

Gamekult.fr - notoriously harsh French video game site - review of the game just went up online. Some lights spoilers of the very beginning of the game.
Score :
9/10 + website's recommendation

The Good (translated) :
- Great and breathtaking overwall graphic design
- Extraordinary user interface.
- The whole "phantom thief" thematic is cohesive with the game.
- The characters are unique and likeable.
- A feeling of acomplishment with each beaten boss.
- The fast-forwarding feature for the school phases.
- Dungeons are creative and fascinating
- The balanced battles and adjustable difficulty
- The OST
- The length
- Multiple Endings

The Bad :
- NG+ doesn't keep everything and can be brutal.
- DLC look really promising
As in they know they'll just fork even more money
- A school year may seem long for lazy students (I think they just ran out of bad things to say about the game)

Personnally the game was preordered the moment it went up but it's nice to see a lenghty review of the game.

Ken

I think it is. Also, they have their own version of Super Potato as well XD

This month (October) felt like a rollercoaster D:

The lack of a fake animate store on the corner was throwing me off!

I guess I forgot about the Super Potato cause I didn't go in lol.

14724406_10153730672656841_1148428899485440786_n.jpg
14729309_10153730673191841_3238546175353563655_n.jpg

man teacher slink is soooooo gooooooood

i just really like the teacher god damn

Yeah, too bad her second portrait has ugly hair.

Well the GIANT info dump of november happenned.

Aside from what you think of the last 3 hours i've played considering my high level of sarcasm in the previous sentence, this game still rocks.
It rocks so high i'm not sure i'm ready for the next challenge afterwards.

Anyway the boss of the dongeon once agains prove that the game flow and game design of the boss fights is excellent. So scripted but oh so gratifying when it works so well.

GSR

Final dungeon spoilers (I basically just have to beat the last boss)

So,
what happens if you don't have all of Mementos cleared before 12/24? They wouldn't actually make you go through the rest, would they? If so I can guarantee there are gonna be folks in the English OT who are just like "I hated doing sidequests and stopped at level 2, wtf!"

Also, the big bad's gotta be an aspect of Nyarlathotep or something even if they don't say it, right? I mean, replacing Igor (basically the ultimate middle finger to Philemon), playing a game to determine the fate of humanity and then rigging it in his favor, trying to lead the protagonist into a seeming victory just to crush it at the last second, using the power of rumors and mob psychology, combining the collective unconsciousness with reality as his grand finale... yikes. I'm almost gonna be a little disappointed if I get to the top of all these bones and don't see him wearing a pinstripe suit.

Ken

Final dungeon spoilers (I basically just have to beat the last boss)

So,
what happens if you don't have all of Mementos cleared before 12/24? They wouldn't actually make you go through the rest, would they? If so I can guarantee there are gonna be folks in the English OT who are just like "I hated doing sidequests and stopped at level 2, wtf!"

Also, the big bad's gotta be an aspect of Nyarlathotep or something even if they don't say it, right? I mean, replacing Igor, playing a game to determine the fate of humanity and then rigging it in his favor, trying to lead the protagonist into a seeming victory just to crush it at the last second, using the power of rumors and mob psychology, combining the collective unconsciousness with reality as his grand finale... yikes. I'm almost gonna be a little disappointed if I get to the top of all these bones and don't see him wearing a pinstripe suit.

i assume they make you clear through mementos cause after the cutscene they drop you into floor 1 or whatever and I had to go back up a floor to shortcut down. you also still have to unlock the door on floor 14 leading to the entrance of innermost mementos (which stayed lock before that story point) and I didn't see any special shortcuts to it from floor 1. but idk for sure since I had mementos cleared all the way down there too beforehand.

maybe they open up a shortcut down from 1 to 14 but i wouldn't know since I already had that shortcut previously?

HOSKINGJ

Neo Member
Hey does anyone know where I can find footage or screens of the Akihabara sections, preferably spoiler free (I don't mind muting the sound if needs be)?

Went there last year and found it to be amazing, would love to see Persona's virtual spin...

Torraz

Aaaaaand all (non-story) co-ops maxed on 12/5, first playthrough. I feel more accomplished about this than I probably should.

Guess I'll spend the rest of the game's free time achievement hunting, lol

EDIT: This palace's gameplay gimmick is straight garbo lmao

Is it easy to max all coops without following a guide of sorts?
Any advice on what to prioritize? Like stats or certain coops?

Ken

Hey does anyone know where I can find footage or screens of the Akihabara sections, preferably spoiler free (I don't mind muting the sound if needs be)?

Went there last year and found it to be amazing, would love to see Persona's virtual spin...

i still have the first time i went there in my archived streams

https://clips.twitch.tv/qonqonqon/ZealousZebraFreakinStinkin

1:24:30 ~ 1:28ish in the full video (spoiler free as long as you don't click around the archive lol). it's at night tho so the shops are closed.

teacher and fortune teller asap so you could target the stats for those first while waiting for them to unlock. i think teacher was like 3* courage + a certain day. politician's rank 2 is also pretty good for income to fund big bang challenges and sunday stat drinks

GSR

I did it without following an explicit guide. That said I did know several tricks for efficiency going in (and discovered more as I went along):

• The Temperance and Fate co-ops can be huge time savers once you get them up to high enough ranks. Fate in particular will let you pay once a day to increase your affection with someone, which can be a lifesaver for avoiding "wasted" SL days. Fate also lets you pay to increase the efficiency of a stat gain for a day. Fate also lets you pay to get a pretty big cash bonus on all-out attacks.
  • Death is also good for efficiency because it eventually lets you buy SP-restoring accessories, which'll make it possible to do early-midgame dungeons in one go if you're so inclined. (Note that having done that for a few dungeons I don't necessarily recommend it - there are no short dungeons in this game, and I wound up with about ten extra days at the end.)
  • I know you have to finish the Sun co-op by mid-November, and I've heard a few others need to be done by then as well. Not sure though.
  • Once you get close to the deadline for a dungeon (or reach the point where you need to send a notice/fight the boss), you won't be able to raise co-ops with your party members until you finish it.
  • Batch your Mementos missions. Many co-ops will block partway through until you finish a mission for them. May as well get a couple done in one go!
  • In my game courage was the toughest stat to raise. Several other stats have at least one co-op that gives a decent bonus, but courage just gets a small bonus from doing the Death co-op (and some of Hanged Man IIRC.)
  • A big chunk of knowledge is gonna be getting the questions right in class. (This is where I did use a guide sometimes I admit)
  • For kindness, make sure you keep watering/feeding the plant in your room. It doesn't take any time and if you use the best fertilizer you get 3 points a go.
  • You will eventually need all 5 stats maxed to complete the co-ops. Hanged Man and Empress are harshest about this - you need 4 courage just to open Hanged Man (and 5 halfway through) and you need 5 skill to get to rank 2 for Empress.
  • You can buy a drink on Sunday at the Shibuya drink stand that will raise one stat one point. Small, but every bit helps.
  • I found a book that increases the effects you get from watching movies.
  • I didn't find out about this until it was literally too late to matter, but if you finish all the rare books at the dedicated book spot on the map you can buy a speed-reading book which makes it so one period of time spent reading knocks two pieces off a book's progress bar.
  • Games and DVDs will raise stats for each "piece" you use them, whereas you have to finish all of a book to get the benefits.
tl;dr it's very doable, you just have to be proactive about pursuing stat gains and try not to spend too many extra days in dungeons/Mementos.

It's just a very small section, the best Akihabara I've seen so far is the one from Akiba's Trip, although the gameplay may turn off a lot of people. Probably Akiba's Beat will have the best Akihabara once it comes out.

Torraz

I did it without following an explicit guide. That said I did know several tricks for efficiency going in (and discovered more as I went along):

• The Temperance and Fate co-ops can be huge time savers once you get them up to high enough ranks. Fate in particular will let you pay once a day to increase your affection with someone, which can be a lifesaver for avoiding "wasted" SL days. Fate also lets you pay to increase the efficiency of a stat gain for a day. Fate also lets you pay to get a pretty big cash bonus on all-out attacks.
  • Death is also good for efficiency because it eventually lets you buy SP-restoring accessories, which'll make it possible to do early-midgame dungeons in one go if you're so inclined. (Note that having done that for a few dungeons I don't necessarily recommend it - there are no short dungeons in this game, and I wound up with about ten extra days at the end.)
  • I know you have to finish the Sun co-op by mid-November, and I've heard a few others need to be done by then as well. Not sure though.
  • Once you get close to the deadline for a dungeon (or reach the point where you need to send a notice/fight the boss), you won't be able to raise co-ops with your party members until you finish it.
  • Batch your Mementos missions. Many co-ops will block partway through until you finish a mission for them. May as well get a couple done in one go!
  • In my game courage was the toughest stat to raise. Several other stats have at least one co-op that gives a decent bonus, but courage just gets a small bonus from doing the Death co-op.
  • A big chunk of knowledge is gonna be getting the questions right in class. (This is where I did use a guide sometimes I admit)
  • For kindness, make sure you keep watering/feeding the plant in your room. It doesn't take any time and if you use the best fertilizer you get 3 points a go.
  • You will eventually need all 5 stats maxed to complete the co-ops. Hanged Man and Empress are harshest about this - you need 4 courage just to open Hanged Man (and 5 halfway through) and you need 5 courage to get to rank 2 for Empress.
  • You can buy a drink on Sunday at the Shibuya drink stand that will raise one stat one point. Small, but every bit helps.
  • I found a book that increases the effects you get from watching movies.
  • I didn't find out about this until it was literally too late to matter, but if you finish all the rare books at the dedicated book spot on the map you can buy a speed-reading book which makes it so one period of time spent reading knocks two pieces off a book's progress bar.
  • Games and DVDs will raise stats for each "piece" you use them, whereas you have to finish all of a book to get the benefits.
tl;dr it's very doable, you just have to be proactive about pursuing stat gains and try not to spend too many extra days in dungeons/Mementos.

Whoa, thanks for the very detailed info.

I guess I can start the game then!

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
How many endings are there? Are they easy to figure out without a guide?

Unless you intentionally try to, you'll definitely get the true end without a guide.
Spoilers on how many endings, and how they're triggered, but no details on content or story stuff:
There are a few variants of the bad ending you get for not doing a dungeon in time, but they all end the same way, just the events leading up are slightly different each time. There's another bad end for making a very obvious "this will give you a bad end" decision (the game warns you before hand to save because of the upcoming decision anyway), and another bad end that you get for making a similar but even more obviously bad decision. Other than that, there's only one "true" end, so as long as you don't get the bad end, you'll get that. It's much less obtuse than P4's "talk to the random gas station attendant" crap.

I didn't find out about this until it was literally too late to matter, but if you finish all the rare books at the dedicated book spot on the map you can buy a speed-reading book which makes it so one period of time spent reading knocks two pieces off a book's progress bar.
Is that the bookstore in shinjuku ? i think i've read them all but i don't recall that book

Gu4n

SPwiki has a guide up to get all Social Links maxed in a single playthrough: http://spwiki.net/persona5/wikis/720.html

Arrived at the fourth dungeon, which looks amazing.

I actually do have a problem with the game I'd like to address. This thread is filled with enthusiasm and people loving every minute of the game, but I've rarely enjoyed that sentiment throughout the game. It feels like I'm just going through motions. Dungeons are simply sneaking up on enemies, hitting their weaknesses and firing off all-out attacks while the daily life consists of weeks of stressful time management with an excellent story beat every month. I regularly reload a save game to spend my time differently. Does this sound familiar? Am I (subconsciously) focusing too much on collecting everything?

tl;dr: help me enjoy Persona again - I've waited too long for this game.

SPwiki has a guide up to get all Social Links maxed in a single playthrough: http://spwiki.net/persona5/wikis/720.html

I actually do have a problem with the game I'd like to address. This thread is filled with enthusiasm and people loving every minute of the game, but I've rarely enjoyed that sentiment throughout the game. It feels like I'm just going through motions. Dungeons are simply sneaking up on enemies, hitting their weaknesses and firing off all-out attacks while the daily life consists of weeks of stressful time management with an excellent story beat every month. I regularly reload a save game to spend my time differently. Does this sound familiar? Am I (subconsciously) focusing too much on collecting everything?

I'm not playing right now to get everything. i'm enjoying the game as it is AND i plan to make a Perfect "get everything" in the second run.

I just can't force myself to follow such a strict guide to enjoy my persona games when i can explore by myself and enjoy discovering things on my own. things that were there maybe from the start but i missed. It's what make P5 so good. Also if you're properly equipped you don't even need to always go for the weakness and all out attacks
Sometimes i cancel the all out attack and do something else.
Every persona game i've played there was a time where i've got a little too much of my dose of Persona and i had to let the game rest a couple of days. I'm back to playing it and the feelign feels fresh to me.

Anyway , As long as you don't push yourself and find those moments of discovery, persona 5 is great.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

My tip is really only to not stress out to much about how you spend your day.
I did the first playthrough all Slink max run blind since the guide wasn't there yet.
I'd say P5 is rather lenient on how you manage your time I did quite a few efficiency mistakes in my run(like not maxing fortune and temperance asap although I still maxed them somewhat close to the earliest possible point like maybe 2 weeks later)
and it only made it so that I barely made the cut on the last day.
I feel like without those mistakes I would have had extra free time to do fishing or other extra activities.

nvm
pretty good guidelines here to winging a blind max slink run.

Or you know maybe you're just not feeling Persona right now. Sometimes it's better to wait for the right mood to strike.
At least for me certain experiences just absolutely failed to connect with me because I just wasn't in a receptive mindset, while when letting some time pass the same experience suddenly connected with me when I tried again.

Still waiting on the GTA mood to strike me :-x. Since I actually liked all the previous games.
-----------------------------

Ending related. Just me vaguely reminiscing about the ending again not really spoilery but tagged for safety anyway.
The P5 ending has such a feel good vibe to it. Just booted it up to watch it again. Super uplifting giving me the happy shivers.
What sells me so much on it is Morgana's performance man, the speech that he gives!

Jintor

Dungeons are simply sneaking up on enemies, hitting their weaknesses and firing off all-out attacks while the daily life consists of weeks of stressful time management with an excellent story beat every month. I regularly reload a save game to spend my time differently. Does this sound familiar? Am I (subconsciously) focusing too much on collecting everything?

yep basically

1st run just go with the flow, second run when you understand the time systems and the weird hidden garbage (or feel okay looking at faqs) you can cut loose with obsessively getting everything right

HOSKINGJ

Neo Member
i still have the first time i went there in my archived streams

https://clips.twitch.tv/qonqonqon/ZealousZebraFreakinStinkin

1:24:30 ~ 1:28ish in the full video (spoiler free as long as you don't click around the archive lol). it's at night tho so the shops are closed.

That's great, thank you - gives me a sense of the area. When the English version comes out that'll probably be a good way for me to see it with all the shops open etc.

It's just a very small section, the best Akihabara I've seen so far is the one from Akiba's Trip, although the gameplay may turn off a lot of people. Probably Akiba's Beat will have the best Akihabara once it comes out.

Yeah I caught wind of that game but - exactly as you put it - gameplay wasn't quite up my street! It's all good, I'm currently enjoying Persona 4 Golden and still loving taking in all of the Japanese culture in that!

MSMrRound

About infiltration tools...

I'm short of materials to make the
perm lockpick

Anyone know what materials do I need and which shadow/shop should I get those from? Thanks!

I'm having a blast in the fourth dungeon. The setting is so, so good with many of my favourite demon/persona designs showing up there.

That
Anubis
enemy though. Mrgrgrgr. Hate it when
enemies don't have elemental weaknesses that you can take advantage of/can finish you off with instant death spells
I barely made it through when I encountered two of them in the same group=/ had to hope for lucky crits

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
About infiltration tools...

I'm short of materials to make the
perm lockpick

Anyone know what materials do I need and which shadow/shop should I get those from? Thanks!

You can get 水銀 (you need 10 of them) from Anubis, and アルミ板 (you need 20) from Anzu. Both of them can be found in the fourth dungeon.

Gu4n

That
Anubis
enemies don't have elemental weaknesses that you can take advantage of/can finish you off with instant death spells
I barely made it through when I encountered two of them in the same group=/ had to hope for lucky crits
Take the ailments/debuffing route. Rakunda works wonders and with Tenterafoo, Marin Karin and the likes they can't even pose a danger.

That
Anubis
I don't have good memories of the ennemy either. Quite a bit of life and he can counter with 1 hit Ko spells.Thankfully i had teammates willing to take the hit for me so i didn't get instant game overs but still.

just reached the start of the alibaba and my head is spinning. too much vocab for my tired brain

Clearly a change of pace , but you'll get used to it faster than you think

Can anyone answer what's going on with a Mijima co-op
where you talk to his shadow, it ends, then nothing happens.
Did something happen? He doesn't seem to be in Akihabara anymore.

GSR

Finished! I thought I was overleveled for the final boss because it wasn't that hard and then I checked and the "average level" thing said the average was ten levels higher than me, so, that's something I guess.

Time to collect my thoughts and head over to the spoiler thread. Anyone still reading this thread who isn't playing the game and wants more impressions can ask away though. Overall I liked it - it was a really solid refinement of P3/P4's formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom